Hell's Heir by kirallie
Summary: AU. Wincest. It took Dean 2 days to break and make the deal. He never thought to ask where Sam's soul was for that time. He really should have.
Categories: Non Buffy/Angel Stories, Non Buffy/Angel Stories > Supernatural Characters: None
Genres: AU, Romance
Warnings: Angst, Slash
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: Yes Word count: 37203 Read: 267286 Published: 2010.05.11 Updated: 2011.07.04
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 1 by kirallie
Author's Notes:
For some reason new SPN stories just keep popping into my head, it’s driving me nuts trying to keep track of them!!!
Sam sat up with a gasp, sucking air into his lungs and trying not to cough. He looked around, frowning as he realised he was alone in what looked like an abandoned hut of some sort. He’d thought Dean would be there...then again Dean would have been at the crossroads and since Sam didn’t know where he was he had no idea where the nearest one was. He smiled softly, silly Dean making that deal. Didn’t he realise Sam would never want him to sacrifice himself like that? But what was done was done and not even Sam could free him from the contract.

He got up slowly and made his way over to a cracked mirror, lifting away his shirt and jacket to get a look at the damage Jake had done. Jake....he smirked for a second at the thought of the last of Azazel’s children and wondered if he’d allow the soldier to realise exactly what he had done before killing Jake. As for Azazel, well the demon should never have attempted what he had and deserved to be punished. He lowered his clothes as he heard the Impala squeal to a stop outside, wincing at the sound and realising just how desperate Dean must be to treat his baby in such a manner. Calming himself he turned towards the door as it opened and Dean staggered in, his eyes locking onto Sam’s form in shocked delight. Sam smiled at him and Dean smiled back.

“Sammy.” With that Sam was in his brother’s arms. Sam hugged him back just as tightly, he had missed Dean so much but now they were together again and no demon would ever part them.

“Hey.” He whispered and then, remembering the angry red scar on his back, winced.
“Owe, uh Dean.” He figured Dean would eventually see the scar and realise it should be painful so he reacted accordingly, despite the fact he felt fine. He felt kind of bad for making Dean think he was in pain but Dean couldn’t know the truth, not yet.

“I'm sorry. I'm sorry, man. I'm just...I'm just happy to see you up and around, that's all. Come on, sit down.” Dean made Sam sit in a chair and then took the one opposite, pulling it close enough that their knees brushed and Sam relished the contact.

“Okay. Dean...what happened to me?” He asked, figuring he shouldn’t be able to remember.
“Well, what do you remember?” Dean asked nervously and Sam bit his lip, how much to admit too?

“I-I saw you and Bobby, and...I felt this pain. This sharp pain, like...like, white-hot, you know, and then you started running at me, and...that's about it.” Sam finally said, hiding a wince at the pain he saw in Dean’s eyes.

“Yeah, that-- that kid, stabbed you in the back. You lost a lot of blood. It was pretty touch and go for awhile.” Dean told him and Sam fought back a laugh. Touch and go? He was dead as a doornail for how long? Come to think of it, how long had it been? Obviously not the amount of time he remembered.

“But Dean, you can't patch up a wound that bad.” Sam decided to see how far Dean would take the lie rather than admit the truth of Sam’s death.

“No, Bobby could. Who was that kid, anyway?” Dean said and Sam bit back a growl of rage.

“His name's Jake. Did you get him?” He doubted they did or else he would have known.


No, he disappeared into the woods.” Dean answered and Sam stood up, hands fisted in rage.

“We got to find him, Dean. And I swear I'm gonna tear that son of a bitch apart.” Sam snarled and Dean stood up, eyes wide. Seeing that Sam forced his rage back, he didn’t want to scare Dean or make him suspicious.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa. Easy there, Van Damme. You just woke up, all right? Let's get you something to eat. Huh? You want something to eat?” Dean asked nervously and Sam nodded, flopping back into his seat and Dean smiled.
“I'm starving. Come on.” Dean piled food onto a plate and handed it over, watching closely until Sam had eaten half a slice of cold pizza before Dean filled his own plate. They ate quietly, Dean looking up every few minutes as if checking Sam was still there so he stretched his leg out until it brushed against Dean’s making his brother jump and flash him a sheepish grin. Once they were finished Dean shifted nervously in his seat before looking up to meet Sam’s eyes.
“What happened Sammy? You were in the diner, I looked away for a second and you were gone, the others inside were all dead.” Dean said and Sam realised Dean had been scared he was dead too at that point. He took a deep breath and started to explain what had happened.

“And that's when you guys showed up.” Sam finished quietly and Dean swallowed.

“That's awful. Poor Andy.” Dean whispered, he’d liked Andy.

“The demon said he only wanted one of us to walk out alive.” He kept having to stop himself from calling the demon Azazel but that would be a great way to raise Dean’s suspicion. Should he just tell Dean the truth? But if he did would Dean believe he was his brother?

“He told you that?” Dean asked, snapping Sam out of his thoughts.

“Yep. He appeared in a dream.” Sam scoffed and Dean smiled slightly.

“He tell you anything else?” Dean pushed and Sam shook his head.
“No. No. That was it. Nothing else. You know, what I don't get, Dean, is if the demon only wanted one of us, then how did Jake and I both get away?” Sam took the focus off what the demon may or may not have said. He was not going to tell Dean that Azazel had dripped blood into his mouth as a baby, no way! That may actually be worse than telling him the truth.

“Well, I mean, they left you for dead. I'm sure they thought it was over. So now that Yellow Eyes has Jake, what's he gonna do with him?” Dean rationalised why Sam was still alive and Sam smiled softly, Dean was still trying to protect him.

“I don't know. But whatever it is, we gotta stop him.” And that was true, they did not need Azazel fulfilling his demented little plan.

“Well, hold on. You need to get your rest. We got time.” Dean argued and Sam realised his brother was scared he was suddenly going to keel over or something.

“No, we don't.” He argued back.

“Sam, oceans aren't boiling, okay? Frogs aren't raining from the sky. Let's get you your strength back first.” Dean tried and Sam held back a snort. Get his strength back? That was a joke.

“Well did you call the roadhouse? Do they know anything?” he tried a different track and then frowned as he sensed a shift in Dean’s emotions.

“Yeah.” Dean answered quietly and Sam’s frown deepened.

“Dean...what is it?” He asked gently, knowing something bad had happened.

“The roadhouse burned to the ground. Ash is dead. Probably Ellen-- a lot of other hunters, too.” Dean admitted and Sam winced, he had liked Ash and Ellen.

“Demons?”

“Yeah, we think so. We think because Ash found something.” Dean added and Sam sat forward.

“What did he find?” Sam pushed, it would be too easy if it was something that would help find Azazel. Sam could find Jake on his own.

“Bobby's working on that right now.”

“Well, come on then. Bobby's only a few hours away.” Sam started to stand and Dean grabbed his arm.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa. Stop, Sam, stop. Damn it. You almost died there. I mean, what would I have-- you just take care of yourself for a little bit, huh? Just for a little bit?” Dean pleaded and Sam reached out to gently grip his shoulder.

“I'm sorry. No.”

---------------------------
Sam could hear Bobby chewing Dean out for the Deal and chuckled softly. Good old Bobby. Though he was surprised he hadn’t been greeted with at least holy water if not a shotgun, it wasn’t like Bobby to be so trusting. Of course he’d have to fix all the Devil’s Traps before they left, he didn’t want to leave the hunter vulnerable. He smiled when he heard them find Ellen, it was good to know she wasn’t dead. He shook his head slightly when Bobby tested her with holy water, he knew she wasn’t possessed.

“Ellen, what happened? How'd you get out?” Dean asked and she sighed.

“I wasn't supposed to. I was supposed to be in there with everybody else. But we ran out of pretzels, of all things. It was just dumb luck. Anyway, that's when Ash called. Panic in his voice. He told me to look in the safe. Then the call cut out. By the time I got back, the flames were sky-high. And everybody was dead. I couldn't have been gone more than fifteen minutes.” Ellen finished and then drank the whiskey in one go.

“Sorry, Ellen.” Sam said and she nodded.

“A lot of good people died in there. And I got to live. Lucky me.” She scoffed.

“Ellen, you mentioned a safe.” Bobby said and she put the glass down.

“A hidden safe we keep in the basement.”

“Demons get what was in it?” He asked and she smiled, pulling a folded piece of paper from her pocket.

“No.” She said as she unfolded it and put it on the table. It was a map with several black lines and x’s on it. Something baout those marks tugged at Sam’s memory.

“Wyoming. What does that mean?” Dean asked, pointing to the lines. He was met with shrugs so they dug Bobby’s books out and got to work.

“I don't believe it.” Bobby finally said, setting his book on the table.

“What? You got something?” Sam asked, because other than a nagging feeling that he should know what it was he had nothing.

“A lot more than that. Each of these X's is an abandoned frontier church-- all mid 19th century. And all of them built by Samuel Colt.” Bobby explained and Sam bit his lip, that was sounding even more familiar.

“Samuel Colt--the demon-killing, gun making Samuel Colt?” Dean asked in shock.

“Yep. And there's more. He built private railway lines connecting church to church. It just happens to lay out like this.”

“Tell me that's not what I think it is.” Dean whispered in shock and Sam suddenly knew exactly what they were looking at and what Azazel was headed for.

“It's a Devil's Trap. A 100-square mile Devil's Trap.” Sam whispered.

“That's brilliant. Iron lines demons can't cross.” Dean grinned and Sam nodded.

“I've never heard of anything that massive.” Ellen murmured and Bobby nodded.

“No one has.” The hunter said.

“And after all these years none of the lines are broken? I mean, it still works?” Dean asked, sounding sure that at least one line had been broken. Sam answered without thinking.

“Definitely.”

“How do you know?” Dean asked and Sam swore mentally but then he realised how he could answer.

“All those omens Bobby found. I mean the demons, they must be circling and they can't get in.” Sam told his brother who slowly grinned, letting Sam relax.

“Yeah, well...they're trying.” Bobby pointed out.

“Why? What's inside?” Ellen asked and Sam forced himself to remain silent since there was no way he should know. Besides, there was only one person he would ever tell the truth was and as much as he might like Bobby and Ellen they weren’t it.

“That's what I've been looking for. And, uh, there's nothing except an old cowboy cemetery right in the middle.” Dean answered in frustration.

“Well what's so important about a cemetery or...what's Colt trying to protect?” Sam asked, trying to help without giving anything away.

“Well, unless...” Dean trailed off in thought.

“Unless what?” Bobby grumbled.

“What if Colt wasn't trying to keep the demons out? What if he was trying to keep something in?” Dean asked and Sam felt a swell of pride for him.

“Well that's a comforting thought.” Ellen said and Dean smirked.

“Yeah, you think?” He asked and Sam laughed.

“Could they do it, Bobby? Could they get inside?” Sam asked seriously.

“This thing's so powerful, you'd practically need an A-bomb to destroy it. No way a full-blood demon gets across.” Bobby answered and Sam scowled.

“No. But I know who could.” He spat, that was why Azazel had wanted to create a half breed. Idiot with delusions of grandeur just had to make his life difficult. He was so killing the bastard....or maybe he’d let Dean do it just to make it really sting.

--------------------------------------
“Howdy, Jake.” Sam greeted as they stepped out from hiding. He could feel the increase in Jake’s power and wanted to sneer. Nowhere near enough.

“Wait...you were dead. I killed you.” Jake stated, staring at him in shock and Sam mentally groaned at having to keep up the charade of not knowing he’d died.

“Yeah? Well next time, finish the job.” He spat back, the abominations presence making his skin crawl and his temper flare.

“I did! I cut clean through your spinal cord, man. You can't be alive. You can't be.” Sam glanced at Dean, seeing the guilt on his brother’s face.

“Okay, just take it real easy there, son.” Bobby tried to diffuse the situation.

“And if I don't?” Jake asked and Sam growled softly.

“Wait and see.” He spat and Jake stared at him, obviously sensing something had changed.

“What, you a tough guy all of a sudden? What are you gonna do--kill me?” Jake taunted, despite his growing doubts.

“It's a thought.” Sam answered coldly, feeling Dean glancing his way but ignoring it for now.

“You had your chance. You couldn't.” Jake taunted.

“I won't make that mistake twice.” Sam answered and Jake began to laugh.

“What are you smiling at, you little bitch?” Dean spat angrily.

“Hey Lady, do me a favour. Put that gun to your head.” Jake said and Ellen slowly put the gun against her temple. Sam took a breath and reached out, tripping the safety so even if she pulled the trigger it wouldn’t do anything.
“See that Ava girl was right. Once you give in to it, there's all sorts of new Jedi mind tricks you can learn.” Jake taunted, not realising his threat was empty.

“Let her go.” Sam demanded calmly.

“Shoot him.” Ellen told them.

“You'll be mopping up skull before you get a shot off. Everybody, put your guns down. Except you, sweetheart.” Three guns hit the dirt.
“Okay. Thank you.” Jake spun and shoved the Colt into the lock. Dean and Bobby grabbed Ellen but Sam only had eyes for Jake. He grabbed his gun up and calmly shot Jake four times in the back. Jake collapsed onto the ground and Sam walked over to stand above him, glaring down at him coldly Sam let his features shift for a split second and Jake whimpered in fear.
“Please...don't. Please.” Jake pleaded but Sam simply pulled the trigger three more times, each bullet slamming into Jakes chest was backed by Sam’s own power. He looked up at Dean who stared at him in shock at his actions and Sam looked down. But then all four of them watched as symbols on the stone began moving.

“Oh, no.” Bobby said and Sam was inclined to agree. Sure they were no threat to him but what about the others? And it wasn’t time!

“Bobby, what is it?” Ellen called out and he swallowed.

“It's hell.” Bobby answered as Dean pulled the Colt free,
“Take cover--now!” Bobby yelled and they dove behind tombstones as the gates opened and all hell literally broke loose, a large black mass billowing free from the gates. Sam felt it when they breached the Devil’s Trap and was very annoyed by their actions. Why were demons so impatient?

“What the hell just happened?!” Dean demanded.

“That's a devil's gate. A damn door to hell.” Ellen answered, shouting to be heard above the unnatural wind.
“Come on! We gotta shut that gate!”

“If the demon gave this to Jake...then maybe...” Dean whispered and then the Colt flew from his hand into that of a rather familiar demon’s.

“A boy shouldn't play with Daddy's guns.” Azazel taunted, flinging Dean into the air to slam into a tombstone.

“Dean!” Sam let go of the gate and ran for his brother, rage boiling in him as he saw Azazel for the first time since being brought back. He got thrown into a tree for his trouble and took a deep breath, forcing himself to calm down.

“I'll get to you in a minute, champ. But I'm proud of you--knew you had it in you. Sit a spell. So, Dean...I got to thank you. You see, demons can't resurrect people unless a deal is made. I know, red tape--it'll make you nuts. But thanks to you, Sammy's back in rotation. Now, I wasn't counting on that, but I'm glad. I liked him better than Jake, anyhow. Tell me--have you ever heard the expression, "If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is?" Azazel taunted and Sam fought the urge to simply release himself from the idiots hold.

“You call that deal good?” Dean snapped back and Azazel shrugged.

“Well, it's a better shake than your dad ever got. And you never wondered why? I'm surprised at you. I mean...you saw what your brother just did to Jake, right? That was pretty cold, wasn't it? How certain are you that what you brought back, is 100% pure Sam? You of all people should know, that's what's dead, should stay dead. Anyway...thanks a bunch. I knew I kept you alive for some reason. Until now, anyway. I couldn't have done it without your pathetic, self-loathing, self-destructive desire to sacrifice yourself for your family.” Azazel taunted and that was the last straw for Sam. He stared at the demon’s back and hit him with his power, forcing the demon form its vessel for a second. He went to hit it again as it slipped back in but didn’t need to as Dean took aim and fired the Colt. Sam watched as Azazel died, the demon staring at him in shocked realisation. Sam looked to Dean who’s eyes went wide with fear before rolling back. Sam lunged and just managed to catch Dean before his head hit the tombstone, again. He held Dean tightly as Bobby and Ellen finally got the gate closed.

“Sam! Dean!” Bobby yelled and Sam raised his arm.

“Over here!” The other two rushed over, Bobby dropping to his knees to check Dean.
“He hit his head on the stone but he killed the demon.” Sam said and Bobby nodded.

“Let’s get out of here.” Bobby said and then helped Sam get Dean to the Impala.

-----------------------------------
Dean groaned as he forced his eyes opened to find himself staring up at a motel ceiling.

“Dean, you awake?” Sam called in concern and Dean managed to look at his brother who was approaching the bed.

“Sammy?” Dean croaked and Sam smiled, picking up a glass of water and handing it over.

“Apparently old fashioned tombstones are harder than even your head bro. How are you feeling?” Sam asked as Dean drank and Dean had to think about it for a second.

“Head’s throbbing. What happened?”

“Other than you killing the demon?” Sam asked and Dean’s eyes widened as it rushed back. Being stuck against the tombstone, Sam against the tree, the demon’s words, it leaving its vessel for some reason, grabbing the Colt and shooting it and then....

“Christo.” Dean whispered and Sam frowned but didn’t react otherwise.

“Dude how hard did you hit your head?” He asked and Dean bit his lip.

“But I...your eyes....” Dean stammered and Sam took his hand. Dean looked down at their hands and then up at Sam, the demons words churning in his eyes. ‘How certain are you that what you brought back, is 100% pure Sam?’ He shook it off, Sam hadn’t reacted and was looking really worried about him, surely that was pure Sam?
“Sammy I...” Dean trailed off, not sure what to say.

“Hey, you took a pretty hard hit, no harm done. Dean...was Jake right? When Jake saw me...it was like he saw a ghost. I mean, hell, you heard him, Dean. He said he killed me.” Sam asked and Dean shrugged, ignoring the pain in his head.

“I'm glad he was wrong.” He said.

“I don't think he was, Dean. What happened...after I was stabbed?” Sam insisted and Dean tried to push him off.

“I already told you.” He argued, sitting up and swinging his legs over the side of the bed

“Not everything.” Sam retorted.

“Sam, we just killed the demon. Can we celebrate for a minute? Preferably with alcohol or pain pills?” Sam put some aspirin in his hand.

“Did I die?”

“Oh, come on.” Dean said lamely as he downed the pills.

“Did you sell your soul for me, like Dad did for you?” Sam was not giving up until Dean told him the truth.

“Oh, come on! No!” Dean argued half-heartedly and Sam knew he was close to admitting it.

“Tell me the truth.” He paused as Dean actually sniffled.
“Dean, tell me the truth.” He pleaded softly.

“Sam...” Dean chuckled brokenly.

“How long do you get?” Sam asked and it didn’t take much effort to make his voice break over the question.

“One year. I got one year.” Dean finally admitted while staring at the ugly green carpet.

“You shouldn't have done that. How could you do that?” Sam demanded asd he crouched in front of his brother.

“Don't get mad at me. Don't you do that. I had to. I had to look out for you. That's my job.” Dean spat back and Sam just looked at him sadly.

“And what do you think my job is?” he asked softly and Dean looked up at him.

“What?”

“You've saved my life over and over. I mean, you sacrifice everything for me. Don't you think I'd do the same for you? You're my big brother. There's nothing I wouldn't do for you. And I don't care what it takes, I'm gonna get you out of this. Guess I gotta save your ass for a change.” Sam said and Dean chuckled slightly, making Sam smile. He hated giving Dean false hope but his brother wasn’t ready for the truth, not yet.
TBC...
This story archived at http://imagine.e-fic.com/viewstory.php?sid=402