Alex and Jaz by Hex
Summary: Life with the two young thiefs Alex and Jaz
Categories: Non Buffy/Angel Stories Characters: None
Genres: Original
Warnings: Cute Kid
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 27129 Read: 414143 Published: 2011.11.02 Updated: 2011.11.19
Story Notes:
These characters do belong to me, and one of my friends. Any likeness to real people is unintentional. Feedback is welcome.

1. The Begining by Hex

2. Just another day by Hex

3. Inside the Castle by Hex

4. What happens when you jump into a pond by Hex

5. Heading for Help by Hex

6. Jaz is going to be what? by Hex

7. A new home by Hex

8. Healing by Hex

9. Knowledge by Hex

10. Druid and new friends by Hex

11. False Guards by Hex

12. Bath Time by Hex

13. Alphabet by Hex

14. Birthdays and Nightmares by Hex

15. The Talk by Hex

16. Horses by Hex

17. Friends and *Splash* by Hex

The Begining by Hex
“She went this way!” a male voice yelled.

The young man who was walking down the alley way ducked into one of the alcoves at the sound of the voice he knew to be a guards. Peering around the corner he observed a young child around what looked like ten years old running down the alley their long black hair waving like a banner behind them.

The young man grabs the girl, as he suspected, and dragged her into the alcove hand over her mouth.
Getting as flat to the wall as he could he listened as the guards ran past them yelling “Hurry up and catch her, she can’t be far!”

As he let out a breath he yanked his hand away when he felt the wetness of a tongue on his hand.

“Hey mister! Thanks for the save there; you’d think that a loaf of bread wouldn’t get seen by the guards by boy their eyes are good. So what’s your name, and wow I’ve never seen hair that color before it kinda looks like blood, which is icky but kinda cool. My name’s Jaz by the way. Hey do ya talk? Are you mute, I’ve never met a mute person before. Ah why are ya glaring at me I just…” the chatter was cut off as the young man’s hand once again covered the girl’s mouth.

Glaring harder at the girl he, in a soft but harsh tone, replied “Shut up! Look, do not ask me why I helped you because I do not know. Now let us leave it at that and go on our ways.”

As the hand was removed the girl pouted. “But mister… eep! I’ll just be going. Bye bye!”

Still glaring and holding the dagger he just unsheathed, he sighed and grabbed the girl as she turned right. Turning her around he instructed, “That way, away from the guards.” Watching the child quickly run down the alley the young man sighed and turned the other way walking off as he adjusts his cap.

A few days later

“Ten silvers,” announced the merchant to his customer.

A young man snorts holding a dagger as if saying ‘what this?’ “Ten? I could get two daggers of better quality for less. Try again.”

“All right for you my friend I’ll give it to you for seven silvers,” came the next offer.

“Well I might be convinced to give you five if…” the response is interrupted by a young girls voice.

Running up to the young man the girl, Jaz was what she called herself, opened her mouth and said,” Found ya! Yep, I’ve been looking forever for ya. Know why? No? Well I’m coming with ya, Mmhm yes I am.”

As he turned to face the girl the dagger he was holding disappeared into one of the various hiding spots on him. Grabbing her he starts walking down the street, “Kid, I am not looking for a partner and I am sure as infernum (hell) not looking for some kid to follow me around. So get lost.”

Looking up at the young man wide blue eyes suddenly got smug, “Well if you leave me here I’m just gonna have to follow ya, trying to get your attention every so often. How’s this…” the girl starts to open her mouth wide as if to yell before a hand for the third time covers her mouth.

Thinking fast the young man realizes that having this hyper child following him would make it a lot harder to steal. “All right it seems you know how to get your way. I will tell you what, you can come with me as long as you do as I say and do your fair share of work. Understand?”

“Yep! This is so cool. So what do I do?” Came the quick question of the now bouncing Jaz. “And hey! What do I call ya mister?”

“Well you can start by...” a shout from the merchant about a missing dagger and a thief, the young man finishes with “running!”

Grabbing the girl he starts towards the alleys, the sounds of guards approaching following them. Running down the alley they get stopped by a fence. After peering through the fence boards the young man grabs Jaz and tosses her over. With a short yell Jaz lands on what appears to be a pile of used rags. One second later and the young man appears next to her, having scaled the fence. Once more he grabs her and continues running. After a few more minutes of this they finally come to a stop.

Only breathing a little bit harder than normal the young man takes off his cap, releasing a small pony tail of hair.

“Oh man! You’re a girl mister! Hey can’ I even call ya mister any more, no I can’t. What do ya call a girl again… Oh yeah! Lady! Hey lady…” Reappearing on her mouth is the now young women’s hand.

Forcing Jaz to look into her hard green, almost black, eyes, the young women says gravely, “Yes I am female. Now this stays between us, understand? To everyone else I am male. Do not tell them otherwise.” Letting Jaz go she starts walking off. “The name is Alex. Now are you coming or not?”
Just another day by Hex
Author's Notes:
Forgive me if the translations are wrong I'm using Google.
A bit over a year later

Alex sits at a table bits and pieces of a clock cluttering it. Exhaling in aggravation she gets a blast of dust in return. “Damnat! Bardus popula! Quare et voluerint veteres ipsum? Cur non vis effercio est novus? Quae non indiget ipsum dolor?” (Damn! Stupid people! Why do they want the ancient stuff? Why can they not want stuff that is new? Stuff that needs no fixing?) Looking around the table she groans and puts her face on her palm. “Jaz!”

“I didn’t do it!” is the yelped reply coming from a pile of objects.

“Deum (God), what did you do now Jaz” she adds the other hand to hiding her face.

The mumbled reply was mostly not understandable expect for the words “apples” and “guards.”

Getting up to retrieve some of the tea to cure headaches Alex questions Jaz, “Small gear, most likely copper with some filigree,” at a questioning sound she reiterates, “some pretty designs on it. Where is it?”

“Um…” Jaz tugs on a lock of hair, “I think I put it over there-ish” and points at a small pile over towards the wall.

“At least it is in a small pile this time, and what have I told you about taking objects from where I am working?” Alex finishes with a glare.

“If I keep doing it you’ll use me for target practice?” she half asks, half answers. Small objects topple down the pile as the top of a head and eyes appear out of it.

“Exactly,” walking over to the small pile Alex shifts through it looking for the gear. Finding it she returns to her table and continues to fix the clock.

Sighing Jaz comes out of her hiding place picking this and that out of her tangled hair. She then proceeds to play with some of the toys she has laying around her area of their home. Smiling at the thought of having a home Jaz looks around the old abandoned Black Smith’s shop as she absently gallops a small toy horse around a even smaller village.

A candle mark after the noon bell welcomes the sight of Alex finishing the clock. Wiping her hands free of dust and walking to a make-shift kitchen she grabs some bread and cheese after tossing an apple and carrot at the young girl who was now looking at pictures on a scroll.

“Ow!” exclaims Jaz rubbing her head where the apple hit, “I already ate Alex.”

Raising an eyebrow Alex returns with, “Yeah sure, some bread and cheese like always and probably some of those sugared nuts I am not suppose to know about, Right?”

“But…” she start only to sulk at the interruption of ‘Eat Jazmine’ coming from Alex. Taking a bite out of the un-bruised portion of the apple she perks up at what Alex say next.

“Finish those up and we will go into the market, alright?” Alex pulls some water up from the well taking a scoop to drink before lower the bucket once more.

Minutes later, and after choking on a bite of apple, the two head towards the market. Alex puts her cap back on to go into her male persona, while Jaz remains the same in looks as always.

A few seconds after they had entered the market Jaz was already running from booth to booth, asking the merchants dozens of questions about this and that.

Pulling her cap down a little farther down Alex watches Jaz out of the corner of her eye. Rolling her eyes she puts down a few coppers and puts the object she just bought in one of her pockets. She walks off to drag Jaz away from the cloth merchant that was letting her touch the fabrics.

“Bye nice lady! Hey Alex did ya see that booth with the fish I never knew that they came in such pretty colors and so small too.” Getting out of Alex’s grip she then proceeds to entertain herself by running circles around the older girl chatting about what she saw. “Some of the fruit looked weird all pointy and stuff, but boy did they smell good. And that guy with the toys, he had this cone like thing that would go round, and round, and round, and… mmph.”

Alex took her hand back off of Jaz’s mouth and held up one find to say “wait”. Reaching into one of her pockets she withdrew the object she had just bought. “It is called a top and if I end up stepping on it, it will go into the fire understand?”

“You’re the best, yep, yes sir. This is so neat I can’t wait to try it out!” spinning in a circle the young girl proceeds to skip next to Alex humming under her breath.

Unluckily for the duo they pass by a food cart they have ‘relived’ some of the merchandise from not that long ago. The merchant does a double take before yelling for the guards. “Thieves! Somebody grab them!”

“Excrementum,” (Shit) Alex says under her breath as she grabs Jaz and starts to run. “Paene quisque tempore!” (Almost every time) Making a left turn down an alley they see the large stone wall blocking their way. “If we get caught I will never take you to the market again! Hear me!”

“That’s what ya always say, and hey,” Jaz calls from down at the end of the alley, “Lookie open door.” Grinning Jaz, for once, pulls Alex into the building.

Looking around Alex is astonished at the sheer amount of… clothes. Everywhere hangs women’s and men’s clothing. “Okay genius what do we do now?”

“Let me think,” Jaz then starts to spin in a circle chanting “think, think, think.” After a minute she falls into a, thankfully clean, pile of socks. “I got it! Wee… why are ya going in circles Alex?”

Pinching the bridge of her nose Alex patently waits till the world stops spinning for the younger girl. “Well?”

A few minutes later

“No.”

“Yes.”

“No!”

“Yep.”

“Absolutely not!”

“Do ya want to get caught?”

Growling Alex finally says, “Fine!”

“Good! Now let’s get some cloths yeah?” a smug Jaz asks smiling at Alex.

Mumbling Alex goes around checking the various dresses and shirts and skirts to see which ones would fit. After finding two sets of clothes she then throws them at Jaz and starts to undress. “Hurry up Jaz, the sooner we leave the sooner I will be able to get out of that get up.” Dropping her shirt to the floor she proceeds to unbind her breasts.

Stripping off her tunic and pants Jaz stares at the dress that was thrown at her with a puzzled frown. “Um… Alex? How does this work?”

“Bardus vestes! Bardus mulieribus! Bardus desiderium ut ornaturus subplex.” (Stupid dresses! Stupid women! Stupid need to dress appealing.) Tucking the peasant shirt into the skirt she’s wearing Alex looks up when Jaz repeats her question. Sighing she trudges over dropping the corset she was holding next to her feet. She then grabs the dress and slips it on over the younger’s head.

Jaz puts up a bit of a struggle before her arms find the sleeves and go into them. After the dress is pulled all the way on she lets out a squeak as Alex begins to tighten the built in corset the dress has. “What is this?” she goes to continue only to have to gasp, “Can’t breathe.”

“Paenitet,” (sorry) Alex apologizes loosening the corset a bit from where she tightened it. “It is called a corset. It is supposed to… enhance you attributes,” at a confused noise she states it in a different way, “It makes your breasts look bigger.”

“Why do I have to wear one? You’re not wearing one. That’s not fair, and I don’t want my breasts bigger. Won’t that make more targets follow me?” whines Jaz squirming in the dress trying to get comfortable.

“You are fourteen years old; most girls your age are trying to attract puppies to them. Find the right husband quick and all that. Also I am going to be wearing one of those things as well, I just need your help,” Alex explains as she starts to lace up the corset she has put on. Reaching the top she tightens as much as she can before she turns her back to Jaz. “Just pull it as tight as you can, I will tell you when to stop.”

Huffing Jaz grabs the two ends of the laces and pulls. “Girls are stupid right? That’s why they wear these things yeah? Now I know why a always said you’d never wear one,” giving a tiny growl, much like that of a kitten, Jaz strains to pull harder.

“Jaz if you do not pull harder I am going to burn that top I gave you,” the older girl says looking over her shoulder, only to lose her breath when the other yanks her hands back in surprise. “That is tight enough! Tie it.”

With her tongue sticking out a little Jaz ties a bow with the laces before asking, “Ya wouldn’t really burn it if I couldn’t tighten this thing tight enough, right?” She looks at Alex her eyes glistening with unshed tears.

Rolling her eyes Alex messes up the girl’s hair, “Save that for someone that does not know your tricks. And no, I would not have burned your new top.” Grabbing a pair of shoes she had found earlier she puts them on before throwing another pair to
Jaz. “Put those on.”

“But, but, but, shoes?” comes the expected whine. The younger girl holds up the shoes far away from herself.

“Jazmine put on the condemno (damn) shoes!” the red haired girl starts to gather their original clothes putting them into a laundry sack, along with all but one of her daggers. Turning to see the still pouting girl she sighs and kneel in front of Jaz. “Listen, like I said before, the sooner we get these things on the sooner we can get out of them. Now put them on or I will.”

With another growl the younger girl puts on the shoes and takes the basket that Alex gives to her. “Why am I carrying a basket full of clothes that ain’t ours?”

“Are not, not ain’t, Nan would have your head if she heard you talk like that. As for the clothes it makes us look more the part,” corrects Alex. Just as she’s about to exit the building she’s stopped by a “Wait!” from Jaz. “What now?”

Nodding towards Alex’s head the girl explains, “Your hair tie, take it out and you’ll look more girly.”

Studying her companion Alex finally nods and removes the leather hair tie from her hair and secures it around her wrist. Ignoring Jaz’s “Ooh pretty” she shakes out her hair and then walks out of the building.

The two walk down the alley way towards the street. They’re able to pass most of the guards in the market until one spies the recognizable silver medallion around Jaz’s neck. “There they are catch them!”

As their eyes go wide the girls dash away Jaz in the lead. Going down side streets and alleys the two reach a long empty road that leads up to a castle. Alex grabs Jaz stopping her and turning her around. “What were you thinking you led us right to the castle where there are more guards!” Alex questions the other girl.

“I didn’t know it led to here! I was trying to go to the apple orchard I usually hide in,” Jaz says defending herself. “Uh oh…” wide eyes look behind Alex as blue and silver dressed guards start to appear.

Groaning in dismay the older girl grabs Jaz, “Come on we have no choice!”
End Notes:
Yes for now Alex does speak in Latin every now and then.
Inside the Castle by Hex
Inside the castle

“Whatever you do, do NOT touch anything, understand Jaz?” Alex states as the two slowly creep through the entrance hall of the castle. “Not one th…” a crash sounds behind her, “…ing.”

“I didn’t do it! Sam did!” yelps Jaz as she backs away from a now broken vase.

“Sam does not exist Jazmine. And…” voices of various guards interrupt Alex.

“There she is!” “Who’s the other girl?” “Who cares they’re both in the castle, get them!”

Grabbing Jaz, her companion starts racing down another hallway. Alex starts to try opening doors at random. Finally reaching an unlocked one the two of them rush in and shut the door.

After entering Jaz abruptly stops and states, “Hey ya are a blond!”

Seeing her bangs of red hair in front of her eyes Alex looks at the girl beside her as if to say ‘who are you talking to?’Jaz points at someone behind her, following the finger to where the person it points to is, Alex sees a young man, probably eighteen to twenty years old, sitting on a bed.

“Yes I am. Now may I ask who you two are?” he questions blinking at the sight of two unknown girls in his room.

Alex turns to face him only to groan and slap her forehead when she realizes she has just let someone see her up close as a girl.

“I’m Jaz and this is A…” the rest of what she was about to say is muffled by Alex’s hand over her mouth.

“None of your business,” finishes the older girl glaring at the young man.

“Well while I don’t need introductions often I will now, I’m Nathaniel, Crown Prince, Heir to the throne,” he says nodding his head a little but never taking his eyes off them.

Pulling the hand partially off her mouth Jaz replies, “Hi mister Prince!”

Just as Alex is about to say something someone pounds on the door, “My Prince, there is a thief in the castle. Are you okay?” says a guard.

Kicking the basket of clothes under the bed as well as throwing the laundry bag under it as well, Alex turns to give Jaz a boost into a nearby closet. She then slips under the bed before coming partially back out holding a dagger. Looking at it and then the Prince, she raises an eyebrow to say ‘understand?’ As the door to the room starts to open she slides back under the bed.

“Everything is fine Duncan. I thought I heard some people running down the hall but I thought it was Nadie chasing Matt again,” the Prince reassures the guard that came into the room.

The guard, Duncan, looks around the room before nodding to Nathaniel. “Sorry for bothering you my Prince but the little one of the two has been stealing food from the market for awhile.”

“Not a problem, why don’t you and your men go do a sweep of the rest of the castle,” the Prince suggests.

Nodding Duncan replies, “As you say,” before turning and ordering the rest of the guards to search the castle.

After the door has closed a few short seconds pass by before a sneeze sounds and Jaz rolls out of the top of the closet with a thump. “Ya really need to dust up there, yep ya sure do,” she finishes with another sneeze.

Coming out from under the bed Alex groans stating, “This get up is not meant to hide in. Jaz check the hallway, make sure they are gone.”

“Gotcha!” she opens the door and peers out before exiting the room.

Raising his own eyebrow this time Nathaniel asks, “So ‘None of your business’ do you often hide under stranger’s beds?”

Opening her mouth Alex is interrupted by Jaz barreling into the room and hiding behind her. “Target!” she yelps pointing towards the door.

“A puppy here?” is the other response.

A knock sounds at the door. With a questioning look at the two girls the sandy blond asks, “Who is it?”

“Just me Nate,” comes the voice of a younger male.

Shrugging the Prince answers, “Come in Matt and close the door behind you.”

Another blond haired boy comes into the room; he is younger than Nathaniel but taller than Alex. “I see you have company brother?”

“Yes. Meet Jaz and ‘none of your business’” he introduces giving a small laugh at the glare Alex directs at him.

Matt stares at the smaller of the two with a certain spark in his eye.“Jaz? Short for Jazmine? After the flower?” he questions. “An appropriate name for someone so beautiful. My name is Matthew, Prince Matthew as others call me but you may call me Matt, like my brother does.”

Looking between Jaz who still is hiding behind her and the seemingly love struck boy; Alex says under her breath, “Definitely a puppy.” After shaking her head a little she then states, “Come on Jaz, and let us leave.”

“I wouldn’t go out that way,” says Matthew as the two of them aim to head towards the door.

Stopping in her tracks the older of the two asks, “And why is that little Prince?”

“Because they are posting guards around the castle,” he says a little smugly. “If you want out you’ll need our help.”

Glaring she replies, “We do not need any help from you. Let us go.”

“Um… not to question you or anything, but how?” watching Alex peer out the window Jaz then yelps when she is picked up.

“Easy,” Alex replies carrying her companion, “out the window.” She then proceeds to drop Jaz out the window.

A short yell of astonishment is cut off by a splash and the two boys stare at the girl who just threw someone out a window. As Alex continues to peer out the window the boys relax when a faint, “Cool! A frog!” is heard drifting up from the pond below.

Grabbing the laundry bag containing their stuff Alex throws it hard out the window watching it land on the edge of the pond right in front of a startled Jaz. Turning to smirk at the two Princes she then gets on the window sill and jumps out the window silently.

Looking at each other the boys run to the window, only to see two sodden girls walking away from the castle. “Wonder if we’ll see them again?” asks Matt.

His brother shrugs, “We won’t know until we see them again, now will we?”

“I have one question though,” says the younger of the two giving the other a curious look.

“Yes?”

“Why is there a basket full of women’s clothing in your room and what are you going to do with it?” he asks point at the mentioned basket.

Nathaniel blinks before saying, “I have no idea to both.”
End Notes:
No characters were harmed in the making of this chapter.
What happens when you jump into a pond by Hex
On the road away from the Castle

“For the final time Jaz there is no way you would have been able to take care of the frog,” repeats Alex her patience wearing thin. “And do not even suggest it could live in the well.”

Pouting the younger girl stops and takes off the wet shoes she’s been wearing. “You’re no fun right now. *sneeze* Are ya grumpy 'cause you’re wet? Ya seem to *sneeze* like taking a bath though… maybe 'cause you’re wearing clothes? And how did ya know *sneeze* that pond was deep like it was? Huh? 'Cause I know ya *sneeze* wouldn’t use me to test that, nope, na unh, no way. … Right? Are we heading home 'cause for some reason I’m a little *sneeze* sleepy, not that I need a nap or anything. Naps are for kids.” Jaz manages to say while having a sneezing fit.

Grabbing the shoes from her, Alex tosses them to the side of the road, “Come on we are almost home then we can get some of the cold medicine that Nan gave us. Then you will be taking a nap, and I do not care you are not a little kid, you are still taking one.” Her stern voice is ruined by a slight rasp and a sniffle here and there.

“Sounds like ya need some too. And, Hey! Ya never *sneeze* told me how ya knew that the pond was that deep. So tell!” In a testament of how tired the younger girl is she proceeds to poke Alex instead of running around her chanting “tell, tell, tell.”

Growling, an act which isn’t quite as impressive as usual, Alex swats at the poking finger. “Fine! Jaz if that finger comes near me again you are going to lose it! I knew the pond was deep enough because early last fall you ‘accidently’ threw a bee’s nest at one of the younger guards. The bees then chased the guard into the pond where he almost drowned because he forgot he could not swim. Remember?”

“Oh yeah! He deserved it, he called me squirt,” Jaz then nods her head repeatedly until she starts sneezing once again.

After the response of, “Jaz, you are short.” The two continue on their way home thankfully easily avoiding all guards and upset merchants along the way. “Inside and to bed Jazmine,” orders the oldest as she drops the laundry bag and heads towards a set of shelves. Looking closely at the various bottles Alex eventually pulls a small one off the shelf and heads towards the back of the building.

Passing by mounds of objects, some of similar things and others of things not even close to the same, she comes upon a bed. The bed frame is cracked and has nails and wedges in it making it not fall apart. On top of that is a ratty mattress with Jaz lying on top covered with multiple blankets.

Carefully sitting on the edge of the bed Alex holds out the bottle, “Drink.”

“But it taste like cat pee, don’t ask how I know what cat pee taste like ya don…” the chatter is cut off as Alex put the now open bottle between the girls lips and pours it in her mouth.

Then holding her mouth shut Alex asks, “Are you going to swallow or do I have to pinch your nose?”

Doing her best to glare Jaz swallows the foul tasting medicine and makes a face as soon as the older girl releases her. Just as she is about to complain Alex cuts her off buy holding out a few sugared nuts. “Hey where’d ya get those? I thought only I had… Ya know where my stash is, doncha?”

“Are you going to eat them or not?” looking at the nuts to the questioning girl Alex gives a quick small smile as the nuts quickly disappear. “Now sleep,” she pushes Jaz to lie down and pulls the covers up.

Alex gets up and walks back to the front of the building silently cursing the fact there was only one dose of the medicine. Glancing at the clock in the corner of the room she then curses out loud. “Canis filius! (Son of a bitch)” Running to the laundry bag she quickly gets out of the wet clothes and into her regular outfit, after having to take off her shirt again to bind her breasts, and with one last look at the now sleeping girl she turns and walks at a fast pace out of their home.

In the Burning Phoenix Tavern

“Hey Lex! Haven’t seen you in a while,” the bartender laughs, “You look like something the cat dragged in.”

Giving a small glare she the responds, “Gratias ago tibi (Thank you) Lloyd, can I have some ale?”

“Sure thing Lex,” taking a mug and filling it with some ale he then hands it to her and says, “Boris is in the back waiting for you.”

Tossing some coins on the bar and taking the mug Alex precedes to walk to the back of the tavern. As she sits she takes a drink and puts it down before staring at the man in front of her.

“You look like hell Lex. You sure you’re up to a job?” the man, Boris, asks.

“I am always ‘up to’ a job, now what is it you want me to do?” comes the answer.

Studying the, to him, young man in front of him, Boris tells him. “Know that big house towards the entrance of the kingdom?” at a positive response he continues, “The owner of it has something the client wants. It’s a statue, nothing big, just a small statue of the Archangel Michael. It’s said to have been blessed by the Church. The customer is willing to pay us fifty gold for it. This means you get…”

“Twenty, yes I can do the math,” Alex takes another drink. “Dangers?”

“Not many, might have one or two men acting as guards but that’s it.” Boris leans back, “I’m asking you 'cause you’re the best I got, dare I say the best there is?”

“I am the best Boris, do not let anyone tell you differently,” she states. “Alright, time frame?”

As he sighs the man scratches the back of his neck, messing up the orange colored hair, “Tonight. Can you do it?”

Thinking about the lightness of her purse and the emptiness of the food stores Alex answers, “Yes I can.”

“Good.” Shaking hands he asks, “At the usual place?”

Alex nods before drinking a little bit more ale and walking out of the tavern.

In the Large House

“A couple men my culius (ass),” Alex complains as she has to duck into another alcove. “This place is riddled with those fake guards we see sometimes. Bardus! (Stupid) What have you told Jaz about being around these guards? Do not be around them that is what you said, and here you are acting like stultus (a fool) and surrounding yourself with them. Condemno (Damn) we need the money though.”

Peeking out she sees the coast is clear and walks to another room. Spying the mentioned statue displayed in one corner she quietly walks towards it. Half way there luck decides to abandon her and she lets out a massive sneeze.

As if they were waiting numerous fake guards enter the room. “Futuo (fuck),” she breathes before turning to and empty door and running.
Heading for Help by Hex
Author's Notes:
A candle mark in my story is half and hour. And yes they use both clocks and candles to tell time. So I say it so shall it be. *grins*
The next morning in the Castle

Morning sunlight streams through the windows into the family dining room. Sitting at the head of the table is a formable man, his brown hair just turning grey; he looks at a scroll while every so often taking a bite to eat. On his right side sits a lady of incredible beauty her blond hair piled on top of her head. She looks up as the two young Princes enter the room the younger still waking up.

“Good morrow my sons,” greets the Queen.

The two boys chorus back, “Good morrow Mother, Father” before taking their seats on the left side of the King.

“Good morrow boys,” the King replies smiling at them over the scroll. “Carmela, my love, what do you think of this?” As he asks the King passes the scroll to the Queen.

Carmela blinks before giving a small smile, “Really Marcus? These are the most wanted of our kingdom? They are but children! Perhaps we should talk with Duncan about the effectiveness of our guards if they cannot catch two children.”

The younger brother looks up from his meal, “May I ask what it is that you two are talking about Mother?”

Looking towards her husband to make sure, she hands over the scroll, “Look for yourself Matthew.”

Taking another bite of food before taking the scroll, Matthew then chokes on it as he sees two on the scroll.

“Are you alright?” gasps the Queen as she watches her youngest cough and get his breath back.

“Fine Mother,” he reassures her before taking a drink of water. He then shows his brother the scroll causing him to choke on his drink.

“What is wrong with you two boys,” asks Marcus looking worriedly at his sons.

Nathaniel answers quickly, “Just surprised at how young they are Father. I mean the youngest must be around twelve to thirteen years of age.”

After their father nods in agreement the two boys quickly finish their meal and ask to be excused.

“Of course Nathaniel, Matthew, just remember that there is a meeting in the throne room two candle marks before noon,” reminds Marcus.

“Yes Father,” the two boys say, “Good bye Mother, Father.” Heading out of the family dining room; the two Princes look at each other and head to Nathaniel’s room.

Closing the door Matthew leans on it, “So we’ve found our guests from yesterday.”

Nathaniel snorts, “Yes the two most wanted thieves in the kingdom. Did you notice they think ‘none of your business' is a male?”

“Oh yes. With the cap hiding her hair and her breasts bound she could pass for a young one.” agrees Matt.

“So…” Nate sighs sitting heavily on the bed, “What do we do?”

“I don’t know.” Joining his brother on the bed the youngest then says, “But for some reason I think we’re going to run into them sooner rather than later.”

“You think so?” Nate asks hopefully.

Blinking Matt studies his brother, “You like her?”

“Well,” he raises an eyebrow and tries not to blush, “she is pretty,” Nate continues ignoring the remark of ‘in a can be mistaken for a boy somehow way’ “and she’s definitely not one of those weak willed, wants the crown, girls. Not that you're one to talk.”

“At least Jazmine didn’t threaten to kill me,” Matt shoots back remembering what his brother told him of what happened.

Nate glares at his brother before picking up a pillow and hitting him with it.

Two candle marks before noon at Alex’s and Jaz’s Home

“Where is she, where is she, where is she,” repeats Jaz walking circles in the front of their home. “She never been gone like this. If she’s gonna be gone long she says so, if not she’s back before I get up. If only I could put up those lost posters, ‘Lost Master Thief, Goes by Alex, If seen bring to abandoned Blacksmith’s’ Man I can just see her face… she might actually try to kill me if I did that though. Where can she b…”

A crash interrupts Jaz. Turning she sees a black clothed form lying just inside the building. What catches her attention though is the red hair. Running she helps up Alex only to gasp at the bruises and blood on her face. “Alex!”

The beat up girl groans, “Jazmine if you yell at me again I am going to have to kill you.” She then grabs her ribs as she breaks into a coughing fit. “I think I am going to need Nan this time.”

“What happened,” Jaz quietly asks leading the older girl to a chair.

“Ego detestari falsum custodies regni (I hate fake guards),” Alex unknowingly lapses into Latin.

“Um… In English this time?” says the confused girl.

“What? Oh. False guards,” the older one repeats. “Let us go to Avia’s (Grandmother’s)… I mean Nan’s place. Deum (God) I hurt.”

“Yep you’re making less sense than normal. Let’s go see Nana,” agrees Jaz helping the other up and starting out the door.

After trudging for awhile the two arrive at an old, but still in good shape, house, only to find a sign on the door.

“Great, I can’t read, Ooo lookie a picture,” Jaz states as she stares at the sign. “Um let’s see a… house, no that wouldn’t tell ya where she is, how ‘bout a… Oo! A castle she’s at the castle Alex… Oh crap.” Looking beside her she sees Alex slumped on the ground.

“Just go find Avia (Grandmother). I’ll stay here,” Alex groggily says.

“Uh no. Ya can’t speak right and you’re saying ya hurt. Ya need her now. The castle’s not that far away, let’s go. Yep we can make it no problem. All we need is ya to get back to stubborn and…” Jaz is cut off by a hand over her mouth. Making a face she removes the hand, “Ya know ya taste bad right now.”

Giving a weak growl the other responds, “Ambula (Walk),” and points in the direction of the castle, almost that is.

In the castle

Just as they enter the castle Alex falls to the floor unconscious. Jaz, since she was helping to hold her up, is taking down as well letting out a loud yelp.

“What is going…” starts Nathaniel as he walks into the entrance. “Jaz?”

“Help!” she pleads getting out from under the other girl. “Nana’s here right? Um… What’s her name… Crap! Oo! She’s a healer!”

Blinking Nate figures out what she was trying to ask, “Nadie? She’s in the throne room with everybody else. Who is… ‘None of your business’?”

“Huh?” Jaz is cut of as the Prince runs over and turns over Alex.

“What happened? No never mind I’ll take her you run to the throne room and get Nadie… Nana and I’ll follow. Somehow I think you’ll be faster than me,” he says as he gently picks up the fallen girl.

After getting directions to the throne room Jaz takes off.

In less than a minute she’s in front of the doors, well more like she’s running through the doors. Suddenly on a much smother floor Jaz yelps and slips, sliding all the way across the room until she stops in a blue and silver robe.

Looking up she sees brown eyes looking down at her in question. As she looks a little farther up she sees a crown. “Oh crap! You’re the King, I ran into the King, I’m so dead. Are ya gonna kill me? Alex always says she will but she doesn’t and… Hey! Nana! Um I’ll be right back mister King Sir.” She gets up and runs over to ‘Nana’. “Nana, Nana! Alex is really hurt this time. She took so long to come back and then she was speaking funny and now she’s asleep. Ya gotta help!”

“Calm yourself child,” Nadie says putting a hand on the girls head. “Where is she?”

“Um… Oh there she is!” Jaz points at the entrance where Nathaniel had just entered.

Catching a glimpse of the girl in his arms Nadie instructs, “To the infirmary Prince. Hurry we don’t know how bad it is.”

Nodding Nathaniel nods and turns and gently runs towards the infirmary. Nadie, Jaz, and to the surprise of the others in the room, Matthew, follow.
End Notes:
Ouch. Okay a character was hurt in the making of this chapter but she'll get better I promise.
Jaz is going to be what? by Hex
Author's Notes:
Nothing graphic for injuries so don't worry about gore.
In the infirmary

Entering the room Nadie walks up to the girl now laying in one of the beds. “My dear child, what happened to you?” she questions. Moving the hair out of the girls face she looks at it closely. “All right everyone but Jazmine and Matthew out!”

“Now!” she orders when they start to protest. After they leave she proceeds to order Jaz, “Child, get the blue glass jar on the lowest shelf there. Matthew, retrieve some of the salve we use on cuts.”

Nadie the starts to clean Alex’s face with water removing the blood and dirt. As she gets the requested items she first applies the salve Matt retrieved and then the other salve in the glass jar. She then dismisses Matthew telling him, “Unless you want to see the girl naked, which she will harm you for, I’d suggest you leave my Prince.”

Removing the shirt, boots, and riding pants, she then cuts away the binding around her chest. Looking over Alex she sees bruising and what she sees are a couple broken ribs. After applying some more bruise salve she grabs some wrappings; she has Jaz hold up Alex’s head and torso as she starts to wrap the ribs.

“What did you mean by ‘she was speaking funny’ Jazmine?” Nadie asks finishing the wrapping.

Lowering Alex back down to lay on the bed, Jaz explains. “She kept saying stuff in um… Latin is it? Ya know that speak ya two do now and then? It was really hard to understand her sometimes but I got her to say the stuff again in English. She kept calling ya Avia (Grandmother) and…” she quiets at a look from the healer.

“Well it looks like she has a couple broken ribs, and quite a bit of bruising.” Nadie covers the unconscious girl and continues, “With what you’re telling me she might have a concussion. Any idea what, or who, caused all this damage?”

Jumping up onto another bed Jaz stares at Alex before answering, “She mentioned fake guards. But why would she be around them? She always tells me never to be caught near them, and she always makes sure she isn’t too.”

“Someone should get up the courage to tell the King of those false guards,” says the healer. Thinking for a bit she speaks, “Maybe you and my stubborn child here are just the ones to do so.”

“Hold up. Me? Talk to the King? No way! I just ran inta him. He’s gonna kill me, if not him then Grumpy will, boy will he freak when he sees me, “the younger girl says shaking her head rapidly.

Nadie walks over to Jaz and puts her hands on the girl’s shoulders, “Calm yourself child. Do you really think Alex would allow anyone to kill you? She’s likely to go after anyone who’s harmed a hair on your head.”

“Yeah, she’s the only one that gets to hurt me… not that she does,” she adds at a small frown from Nadie.

“Something tells me you won’t believe she cares for you until she tells you herself,” kissing the girl on the forehead she then goes and starts to clean up the mess they had made. “Why don’t you go and tell everyone that she’s going to be fine. She’ll probably sleep through the night and wake up in the morrow. Then she’s going to be spending some time in bed even if I have to tie her down.”

“Gotcha!” Echoes back as Jaz is already through the doors.

Outside the Infirmary

“Hey guys! Umph…” is all that Jaz gets out before running straight into Nathaniel. “Owieeee.” Landing on her butt she looks up at the smiling Prince. “Oh hey! She’s alright she’s just gonna sleep and then Nana’s gonna tie her to a bed for awhile. That’s gonna be fun to see, I’ve only heard about the time she did do that but that was before I met Alex.”

“So she’s going to be okay. That’s good,” Matthew remarks as his brother almost deflates in relief. “So what happened anyway?”

“Oh just this and that ya know,” at the disbelieving looks she continues, “Nana says me and Alex should tell the King so I’ll wait till then kay? Oh hey, thanks a lot by the way, ya know for carrying her. She was getting really heavy… don’t tell her I said that though. Um know that I think ‘bout it what’s gonna happen? I mean Alex’s probably gonna be here for awhile and I so do not want to be home alone for so long, it can get creepy ya know.”

After Jaz releases him from the hug she started in thanks Nate looks at her, “You talk a lot don’t you? You’re welcome for the help, and I think perhaps you, Matthew, and I should talk to our Father about what’s going to happen. What do you think Matt?”

“I think Father probably has something thought up already,” the younger brother states before offering his arm to Jaz.

“Eep! Target!” she then runs to the other side of Nathaniel with a slight whimper.

Laughing Nate puts an arm around her shoulders before motioning his brother to take the lead. “I’ve wanted to ask what exactly is this Target/Puppy thing I’ve heard from you two?”

Blushing slightly Jaz mumbles something the only understandable word being Alex.

“I take that to mean I should ask, Alex is her name?” asks Nathaniel.

“Yep! It’s short for… um I don’t know what it’s short for. Nana always calls her ‘my child’ or Alex,” she answers.

As they enter the throne room, where the two Prince’s parents still were, the King smiles and asks how the girl is.

“She’s fine Father. Nadie says she should sleep awhile and then will be on bed rest,” Nate informs him.

“Good,” Marcus responds. “No one deserves to be hurt like that, especially a girl.” He looks closely at the young girl before him. “Is this? Yes it’s the thief from the scroll. Does that mean that the other girl was the boy?”

Matt nods, “Yes Father. This lovely girl is Jazmine and her companion is called Alex, and is indeed a girl, whom Nathaniel lik…mmph.”

Nate quickly covers his brother’s mouth with his hand smiling weakly at their father. “What we came here for Father is we were wondering what is Jazmine here suppose to do? It seems that Alex will be here for a few days and Jaz is, of course, concerned about returning to their home alone. Might you have any ideas Father?”

As Marcus sits back and thinks on the problem Duncan enters the room. Looking around his eyes pass by Jaz before returning quickly. “Thief!” he yells approaching her angrily.

Jazmine quickly ducks behind the throne. “Halt Duncan,” the King orders, looking at his friend. “Duncan, I would like you to meet our new palace messenger, Jazmine. Jazmine, I would like you to meet the Captain of the guards, Duncan. I’m sure the two of you can learn to get along.”

After gapping at the King for a moment Jaz quickly recovers coming out from behind the throne, “Hi mister Grumpy! It seems I have a job now, but wait I can’t work here if Alex is home I gotta stay with her. She gets into too much trouble when she’s by herself, ya know?” Looking at the King her eyes widen in worry.

“Don’t worry little one,” reassures Marcus. “From what I heard your friend there is very good at stealing and getting into places not meant to be able to get into. If she agrees I have a job offer for her as well.”

“Then you got yourself a messenger, just as long as Alex agrees,” nods Jaz. “Yep if she agrees we’ll stay and work… Never thought I’d ever see me and Alex working some l.. le… right like.”

“Legal. The word you’re looking for is legal,” Matt tells her. He opens his mouth to say something else only to be interrupted by Duncan.

“But your Majesty, their thieves! And what is this about another girl? He usual companion is a boy,” his eyes are wide in astonishment.

“I know their thieves, my friend. This little one is one of the fastest people I have ever seen or heard of. The other has talents that could be put to use as well. Seeing as your men have not been able to catch them, why not get them to do something good for a change,” the King waves a hand in a ‘you see’ motion.

“Hey!” growls Jaz. “We do good things. I give most of the food I steal to the other street kids, and Alex will retrieve other’s stolen property for free some… times… Oh crap! Alex is gonna kill me for telling ya that. Save me?” Jaz looks at the King with what Alex calls puppy eyes.

“Don’t worry little one, I’m sure your friend will not kill you for a slip of a tongue,” Marcus pats the clinging girl.

At the same time Matthew speaks up, “I’ll protect you Jazmine.”

Nathaniel tries to turn his laughter into a cough, while their mother ‘hmms’ and says, “Come closer to me child.”

Walking over to the Queen Jaz shuffles her feet, “Hello misses Queen Lady.”

“You may call me ‘my lady’ or if you want I shall not object to you calling me Carmela,” the older lady says lifting Jaz’s chin. “First thing we’d have to do is the comb your hair, then get you some clothes that will fit in with the niceness of the palace. Perhaps some shoes as well, my dear?”

“Eep!” squeaks the girl. “Nope, no way, no shoes. I’ll work for ya guys but I’m not wearing shoes. Not even Nana can make me… I guess only Alex can, but she doesn’t make me.” She continues to shake her head backing up a little bit.

Interrupting his wife, “Carmela, dear. Let the girl go without shoes. It’s more than likely a phase as you have put it before. I don’t see much of a problem as long as her feet stay unharmed.”

“Oh alright!” Carmela gives up. “But you shall be getting new clothes, both you and your friend.”

“No dresses? That goes for us both, me and Alex that is,” Jaz quickly makes sure.

“I suppose that a skirt would get in the way of your running,” concedes the Queen, “You shall wear dresses though if you are attending an event.”

Grimacing she says, “I guess…”

Marcus claps his hands, “Great! Now we just have to wait for Alex to wake up.”
End Notes:
Tell me if the conversation between Jaz, Marcus, and Duncan doesn't make sense and I'll fix it.
A new home by Hex
The next day

Sunlight shines into the infirmary waking Alex. “Ohh… Quid me percussus? (What hit me?)” She groans as she tries to block the light from hitting her eyes with her hand.

“Put your hand down child. You hit by a false guard according to you,” Nadie comes to the bed releasing some drapes to block the light. “How are you feeling?”

Scowling at the healer she responds, “Like I have been run over by a troop of guards, Oh wait! I was! I efficio quomodo sentient? Quid generis quaestiones est quod? (How do I feel? What kind of question is that?)”

“Ore vestro puer vigilia! (Child watch your mouth!)” Nadie snaps back.

Averting her eyes Alex says, “Paenitet (Sorry) Nan.”

The older women raises an eyebrow, “You still apologize and thank someone in Latin? You are a confusing child.”

Alex huffs and tries to roll to face away from Nadie, only to end up in pain from her ribs.

“Brutus (Senseless) Child. What were you thinking? Your ribs are broken and you need to rest not to be moving about even in bed.” Nadie scolds even as she checks to make sure none of the ribs have moved.

Yelping the girl flinches away from the touch, “Hei! (Ow!) That hurts you know!”

The woman looks up and then goes back to checking. “Well, you don’t seem to have done any more damage. But you are to lie in this bed, and stay in this bed until I tell you otherwise. Do you understand child?”

Just as it seems that Alex is about to rebel Nadie says, “Remember what happened the last time you didn’t listen to me about something like this? Do you want that to happen again?”

The girl immediately snaps her mouth shut and glares at the healer. Smiling Nadie instructs a person to enter when a knock sounds on the doors. Entering the room is Marcus.

“Good morrow Nadie, and good morrow to you as well Alex,” The King greets them. After having received greetings in return, though Alex’s was forced by a look from the older women, he continues talking to Alex. “I’ve been informed that you will be a guest of mine for awhile. That seems to be a problem to young Jaz; she is reluctant to return home without you.

“So I have come to an agreement with her for now she shall act as the Palace Messenger, delivering messages to others in the Palace. After you are healed she will be giving the choice to continue, however she seems to wish to stay with you.

“So I have an offer for you. You seem to have a talent for entering place not meant to be entered. I would like you to help the Palace guards to fortify the palace against thieves and assassins and other such people. There are also times where we need to … retrieve something that has been taking from us or an ally.”

“You mean steal, right?” interrupts the thief. At a glare from Nadie she continues, “Paenitet (Sorry), please continue.”

Marcus looks a little confused as he goes on “I would like to offer you a job for that work. In return you will no longer be wanted thieves. You would also receive free room and board here in the Palace. My wife is going to be outfitting young Jaz with some new clothes and has her mind set on doing the same to you if you stay,” he raises a hand at Alex’s protest. “Just enough for you to get by on any other clothes would be for you to buy yourself, and no there will be no dresses or skirts unless you are attending a royal function.”

Alex stays silent for awhile thinking on what has been said. “I have to think about this. But Gratias ago tibi (Thank you) for the offer.”

Marcus blinks before looking at Nadie who gives a little laugh, “’Paenitet’ is Sorry, and ‘Gratias ago tibi’ is Thank you. Alex you know everyone doesn’t understand Latin.”

“Ah. You’re quite welcome, and take your time to think. You have until you’re all healed.” Marcus the nods his head and walks out of the infirmary with a farewell to them both.

Later that day

“Alex, Alex, Alex, you’re awake finally! Yippee! Did ya hear the news did ya? I’m a palace messenger! Of course if were gonna go back home I’ll stop. Yep rather be with ya than alone. Especially if Grumpy’s gonna be here. And… are ya okay?” Jaz stops chattering and looks worriedly at the girl in the bed.

“Fine,” grimaces Alex. “I just have to remember not to move much.” Settling back down in bed from when she moved to cover Jaz’s mouth, she gives a silent sigh of relief. “Sit down Jazmine.”

The younger girl moves to sit in the chair that Alex pointed at. “Ooo. Full name means serious talk.”

Giving a little glare at the girl Alex starts, “I have been thinking. I do not think that running into those false guards was a coincidence. Now that I think about it Boris was a bit more abrupt than usual. My guess is that it was an ambush, I was sent there to be attacked, maybe killed.” Alex sighs looking out of the corner of her eye at the now worried Jaz. “I do not think it is safe to be home for right now.

“Not until we find out who is behind all this. The false guards, the ambush, everything. But I want to know what you think of everyone.” Alex turns her head to look directly at Jaz.

“Um well… Matt’s a puppy. Nate seems nice, cares about people. He’s also your puppy.” Jaz nods at Alex’s raise eyebrow. “Yep. Duncan’s still grumpy, he’s not too happy we’re here. Carmela? Or is it Caramel… Carmela that’s it, she’s well… She’s not too happy ‘bout me not being all pretty like, Oh I mean my clothes and stuff,” she hastily adds at a growl. “But she seems nice, sorta a bit like Nana is. And Mister King Sir is really nice. He offered us jobs and defended me against Grumpy, and he didn’t even yell at me for running into him. Plus he fed me; Oh the food is so good here.”

Rolling her eyes the older girl states, “You would base what you think of a person on the fact that they fed you. So, truthfully do you really want to stay here?”

Jaz bites her lower lip worrying it a little before speaking up, “I kinda like it here. I mean all the people I met so far, besides some of the guards, are nice. And really sometimes it’s lonely waiting for ya to get back from a job. But I mean if ya go back I’m going too, no matter what.”

Studying the girl Alex final speaks, “Ok. We will stay, for now. You know there will be rules here as well right?” At a nod she continues, “One, as always do as I tell you. Two, no stealing unless I agree to it. Three, no taking things apart, unless the owner agrees to it. Four, you are around higher class people; you are going to have to behave more politely, like Nan taught you. Five, for the sake dei (of God) do not throw apples at the guards, unless they absolutely deserve it. In other words Nan has to agree that it was okay. Six, more rules may come depending on what happens. Understand?”

“Yes Alex,” sighs Jaz. “We’re really staying?” At a nod the girl starts to run around the infirmary shouting in joy.

“What is with the racket little one?” asks a bemused Nadie as she enters the room.

“We’re staying! We have a new home! A big one, with lots of shiny stuff,” announces Jaz.

Her head jerking up slightly, causing her to groan softly in pain, Alex reminds her, “Shiny stuff you will only look at, correct?”

With a slightly worried look at Alex the younger girl continues, “You’ll be able to visit now right Nana? And what’s wrong with Alex now?”

“Yes I’m here quite a bit so I’ll be able to visit. As to what is wrong with Alex, she seems to have forgotten she has a concussion.”

Growling Alex snaps, “I didn’t forget anus (old woman), how can I with this damnatum (damned) headache and double vision. I was just startled at the thought of what Jaz could do with a lot of ‘shiny stuff’.”

“Hm. I can see why you would be concerned about what Jazmine can do. And if you curse at me again I still have that mouth wash from when you were younger, I can find that if you like?” Nadie asks with a slight scowl.

“Paenitet (Sorry) it will not happen again Nan,” Alex quickly apologizes before sending a small glare at the snickering Jaz.

“Yes, and I’ll believe that when you start apologizing in English,” Nadie replies before smiling softly. “Perhaps you should give the good news to the King, Jazmine?”

“On my way! See ya!” yells Jaz as she takes off out of the infirmary.
Healing by Hex
The next day

“Get back into bed this instant!” Orders an annoyed Nadie as she spots Alex walking around.

Alex yelps as a result of her jumping in surprise at the healer’s yell. “Deum (God) Nan! Will you calm yourself. I am merely walking around the bed, surely that is safe enough? I have been in the bed the past couple days! As I can finally see straight I thought I could stretch my legs a little.”

“You’ve stretched them. No into bed, and I noticed you didn’t mention the headache being gone. Take some of this and nap like you should be doing,” the older woman retrieves a small bottle of something and hands it to Alex.

Making a face as she gets into bed, she then proceeds to stick her tongue out after swallowing what was in the bottle. “I still do not want to know what you put in these ‘cures’ of yours. If you really want me to stay in bed find me something to do will you? Damnare vos (Damn you) that had… a sedative… in… it…” Alex drifts of as the sedative works.

“Just a couple more days of rest and you can start to wonder, my child,” Nadie says as she covers the now sleeping girl. Giving her a kiss to the forehead the healer walks back to check her stock of ‘cures’.

Another day later

Groaning Alex once again wakes to the morning light coming into the infirmary. “I ejus interficiam (I will kill her).” As she peers around the room she sees a music box and some tools on a table next to her.

In front of the box is a note. It reads ‘Jazmine told me you like to fix things. Perhaps you can fix this for me? My thanks.’ As she turns the note over she observes that there is no signature.

Putting the note back down Alex picks up the music box and examines it. The dark mahogany wood shines in the light, a floral motive adorns the top in a lighter wood. When she opens it, it reveals a still and silent cylinder with pins. Looking at the cylinder it appears to be in good shape, the same can be said for the comb the music is made by. With a small smile Alex picks up one of the tools and gets to work disassembling the music box.

A few hours later

A knock sounds on the doors of the infirmary. A muffled voice announces, “I’ve come to visit a patent. May I enter?”

Nadie looks at the door and shakes her head, “Come in Nathaniel.” After the boy enters she continues, “You do know you don’t have to ask every time to come in.”

“I know, but better safe than to be chased out by an enraged healer,” Nate smirks.

Sending a small glare at the boy Nadie turns back to what she was doing. “You know where she is. Just don’t wake her if she’s asleep.”

Giving a small bow to the healer Nate continues to the bed holding the recovering girl. “Are you awake?” he asks softly.

“Yes,” Alex opens her eyes and looks at the Prince. “What do you want?”

Looking around Nathaniel frowns a little when he sees the taken apart music box. “I see you’ve been busy.”

“Yes, someone left that on the table last night with a note asking me to fix it,” she shifts till she’s almost sitting up.

“Ah. It was probably my brother,” Nathaniel guesses. “My mother gave me it when I was a child. Then when Matt was five he broke it in a temper tantrum. He doesn’t know I know that though. I should probably tell him but he always changes the subject when it’s brought up.”

As Alex listens to the story she makes her mind up on what she’s going to do. “That would explain the note,” she agrees. I do not suppose that you have seen Jaz?”

“Last I saw she was running messages for Father,” he answers. “She sure can run fast can’t she?”

Giving a little snort of amusement, before acting as if she hadn’t, Alex responds, “You should see her on sugar.”

Nathaniel blinks in surprise before shuddering in horror at the mental image he gets from that statement. “Note to self, do NOT feed her sugar.”

“I’m not that bad,” whines Jaz, who had just entered the infirmary. “I mean sure I talk, and walk, and well do everything a bit faster on it but that doesn’t mean ya shouldn’t give me any. I mean Alex let’s me have sugared nut, right Alex? And I’ve had other things as well, I mean today this nice lady gave me some um… honey drops? I think they were called and I’m just fine right now, yeah?”

Alex’s eyes grow a little wider as she sees slight tremors running through Jaz’s body. Seeing the younger girl shifting foot to foot, Alex groans softly and asks, “Just how many honey drops did you have Jazmine?”

Shuffling her feet a little she answers, “Um... well… just a handful or two. Not that much I mean I feel fine!”

"Deum (God) Jazmine! What have I told you about sweets?!” Alex sighs before getting an idea. “Can I have some parchment and something to write with?”

Nodding Nathaniel carefully edges around the hyper child and gets the requested items from Nadie. Returning with them he hands them to Alex.

Alex starts to draw some pictures on the parchment, confusing Nate. After she finishes Alex orders, “Jaz, I want you to get one of the guards to take you to our old place. When you are there I want you to find these items, understand? Most of all be careful.”

“Okay! I can do that! Yep I sure can. Okay I think I’m gonna get Grumpy to take me, I saw him around here somewhere,” comes the enthusiastic reply before the girl runs out of the infirmary.

Letting lose a small laugh Alex states, “I am not sure if I should feel sorry for Meat Head or not.” At a questioning glance she explains, “Meat Head is the Captain of the Guards.”

“Oh, Duncan. I think I’m going to feel sorry for him myself,” response Nate.

Outside the abandoned Blacksmith’s shop

“This is your home?” asks Duncan to the child beside him.

“Yep this is it Grumpy! Home sweet home,” Jaz announces as she skips into the building. “Now I just have to find this stuff. Hm… I’ve seen all of these things but not in the same place. Oh boy! This is gonna be fun! I’ll start there.” She heads to the pile that she pointed at after spinning in a circle.

Four candle marks later Duncan is looking around at various items, not touching them though since when he tried Jaz threw something at him. He spins around in surprise when Jaz lets out an excited yelp.

“Got it!” the young girl then does a small dance in victory. “Now… Hey, mister Grumpy? Can I bring some things back for me and Alex? Like special things? Cause the Palace is nice and all but I’d like some things from home there too and…”

Putting his hand back down from where he held it up to stop the chatter. “I’ll carry a bag, one bag of stuff, back to the Palace. Just don’t call me Grumpy.”

“Yes sir! Mister Captain Sir! Thank you soooooo much!” Jumping on him to give him a hug Jaz then runs around the building going, “This, no this, nope definitely this, yep. Okay next this…” for the next candle mark.

Grabbing one last thing Jaz says, “Okay ready!” Then she walks towards the palace, Duncan lugging a somewhat heavy bag over his shoulder.

In the infirmary

Entering the infirmary is a slightly less active than normal Jaz. Following her is an exhausted Duncan carrying a bag. The younger girl walks fast over to Alex who has a slight smirk on her face.

“Here ya go Alex. All the stuff you wanted,” Jaz hands over a pouch filled with said items. “Oh! I also brought some stuff from home *yawn* Wanna see?”

“How about this, you give me the bag of stuff and then go sit in that chair and count to ten with your eyes closed, alright?” asks an amused Alex.

Looking at the older girl oddly Jaz agrees, “One, four, six, eight, seven, thre…” A quiet snore comes from the now sleeping girl.

As Nadie, Nathaniel, and Duncan look at her with a question in their eyes Alex only says, “Sugar crash.” She then opens the bag and goes through it. First thing she pulls out is a glass jar with a worm in it. “I was wondering when she was going to get Glowy.” At an amused laugh she defends herself by saying, “Jaz named it.”

Putting the jar on a clear table she continues going through the bag. The next item to come out was a set of daggers, all secured in a leather bundle. “Good. I did not want anyone taking these.” After running a hand over the daggers she rolls the bundle up and stashes it under the pillow on her bed.

“Hm. The only other things in here are some scrolls, and some of Jaz’s toys,” she states looking through the rest of the bag but not taking anything else out. Setting the bag on the floor next to the bed she looks up to see everyone still there. “Do you mind? I would like to work some more on this without distractions.”

Saying farewells the two males leave the infirmary. Nadie gives Alex a knowing look before announcing that she has some patents to attend to in the kingdom.

After everyone leaves Alex gives a tender look over at the sleeping girl, before shaking her head and starting to fix the music box.
End Notes:
I almost titled this chapter 'They gave her WHAT?' Oh and Jaz's counting will be explained in a later chapter.
Knowledge by Hex
Author's Notes:
*headdesk* I forgot to post this when I wrote it, oops?
A few days later

Alex walks along the halls of the Palace looking at everything. In her hands she carries a wrapped bundle.

“Hello there Alex,” greets Matt as he exits a room.

Giving a slight nod she says, “Matthew. Would you happen to know where your brother is?”

“Sure. He’s right in here,” he says with a nod at the room he just exited from.

“Thank you,” the thief says before peering into the room. Spotting the older Prince she asks, “May I enter?”

Looking up from a book Nate answers, “Of course.” He then closes the book and gestures to an empty chair. “Have a seat.”

“No thank you, I’m just here to give you this.” Alex then holds out the wrapped bundle. “It has served its purpose for me so I thought I would return it.” With a small shrug she leaves the room.

After watching the girl go with a frown on his face, the Prince opens the bundle. Eyes widening, he slowly opens to box reveled and gives an amazed laugh when music starts to play. Humming along with the tune he spies a note inside the lid. ‘Gratias ago tibi (Thank you) for letting me fix this. It helped with the boredom. Alex.’ With a smile Nathaniel puts the note back into the lid before shutting the music box and placing it carefully onto a nightstand.

Outside the Palace Library

“And the Library is behind the double doors with the scroll work carved on it,” looking at the doors before her Alex nods and then pushes them open. As she entered a mousey older man glares at her telling her to ‘shut those doors right now sir!’

Returning the glare and pointedly placing her hand on her dagger Alex raises an eyebrow as if to say ‘Who do you think you are talking to?’

“Ah I mean, Josette! Blast it girl where are you when I need you! I’ll get those doors good sir, welcome to the Royal Library,” the man says scurrying to the doors to close them. “If you want I can have someone find the book you are looking for…”

Alex puts up a hand stopping the man’s toadying, “No. I will find it myself.” She then wonders off into the isles. Finding a reading area the thief sits in a chair and sighs. “Well there goes that idea.”

“I heard you met Raymond,” says a girl peeking out from behind a stack of books. At Alex’s curious look she expands, “Raymond is the one technically in charge of the Library. I end up doing most of the work though along with the servants.”

With a small smirk the thief responds, “Yes. I met the brownnoser.”

“I’m just wondering why he kept saying sir. I mean it’s pretty obvious that you’re a girl. Well to me at least,” the other girl says brushing a wisp of hair behind her ear. “Oh, my name is Josette.”

Studying Josette, the other girl finally replies, “I have made it a habit to be mistaken for a boy, even though I was not trying to be this time.”

With that the two sat for a while, Josette reading, while Alex thought.

“Josette?” Alex tries to get the other girl’s attention.

“Huh? Oh yes?” the girl blinks her mind coming away from the book in front of her.

“What do you know?” At the questioning look she expands on that. “Reading, Writing, Math?”

“Yes I know how to do all of that, Why?” asks Josette.

Sighing the thief thinks deeply on something. “I know how to do all that as well. My p… companion does not. I have no patience most of the time with people. I…” taking a deep breath she starts over. “I am looking for someone to teach Jazmine all of that. Perhaps if you have time you can?”

“Something tells me you don’t really talk to people much, and that you ask for thing even less,” states Josette. “I’ll have to meet her first, see if we can work together, but I’m willing to in my free time. What can you tell me about her?”

Leaning back into the chair the girl starts, “She is energetic, very energetic. Bright though, she knows the numbers one through ten but still cannot get the order correctly. She thinks everyone is nice until they show her differently, does not trust guards though. You either love her or hate her.”

“Sounds like I’m going to have my hands full,” states Josette. “Bring her here tomorrow and we’ll see how we get along. Oh and Alex?” at a surprised and suspicious look she continues, “Yes I know your name, how do I? It’s called gossip. Anyway the King should be in his study, it’s down by the royal family’s bedrooms and should have guards outside the door.”

Nodding Alex says, “Gratias ago tibi (Thank you),” she then blinks in surprise when Josette responds with a ‘You’re welcome’.

Outside the King’s Study

A battle of wills is going on outside the doors to the King’s study. Dirt brown eyes meet green black eyes. It is finally broken by the voice of the owner of the brown eyes. “Leave thief.”

“No. Let me into the condemno (damn) room. I need to speak to the King,” returns Alex taking an aggressive step forward.

Moving his hand to his sword the guard growls, “The King has no time for the likes of you.”

“Let her in,” rings out a voice from inside the room. At a muttered ‘she?’ it continues, “Yes she. And Richard we will be having a talk about who decides who I have time to talk to.”

“Yes Sire,” agrees the guard reluctantly allowing Alex to enter.

“Deus meus (My God) you need better guards… your majesty,” she says as a greeting. She then adds, “Good evening.”

Smiling the King gestures to a seat before his desk, “Good evening young one. What is it you wish to speak to me about?”

“I know Jaz is your messenger, but remember she is still mine. With that in mind I have arranged to have someone teach her the basics and perhaps further,” Alex aggressively starts. At a frown from the King she changes her tactic. “Paenitet (sorry), I am not used to asking for things or talking to someone that is… above me in authority. I talked to Josette in the Library and she has agreed to meet with Jaz and see if they can work together. What I am trying to ask is that you devise a way to make it so Jaz can meet with her and learn while still doing her job.”

His frown fading a little Marcus says, “I understand this is difficult for you Alex. You’ve been on your own and have basically been your own boss. I’ve even heard you referred to as a Master thief. I only ask that you treat me with respect, and I know I will have to earn that from you. Just treat me politely until I’ve had a chance to earn it please.

“As to Jazmine, I think that having her taught is a wonderful idea. I had thought of Raymond but,” he pauses as Alex makes a slight face. “As I see you believe that would not work, I agree Josette is a capable alternative. May I ask why you wish Jazmine to continue work, while we would get messages slower without her wouldn’t she benefit from just studying and not having a distraction?”

Shaking her head the thief tells him, “No. Jaz is not a scholar. She thrives on having fun, and this job is fun to her. It also makes her feel as though she is earning her keep. With me she had rules to follow, chores, and occasionally I would give her a job to do. Here she just has rules, and the job. She needs the responsibility that the job brings her.”

‘You know her best. If there comes a time that she cannot handle both the learning and the job, I personally would prefer for her to keep learning and continue the job after that is finished,” informs the King.

Nodding Alex agrees. Getting up she hesitates for a second before giving a quick bow and walking out of the room.

Walking down the hall she arrives at what is now her room. Entering she sits heavily on the bed only to groan as the move jostles her ribs. “Quod oblitus. Stupidus. (Forgotten that. Idiot.)” Gently she lays down on the bed absently kicking her boots off before falling asleep on top of the covers.

Once again outside of the Library

“Jazmine if you do not calm down I will throw you out a window and not one of the ones over the pond,” threatens the old girl as Jaz starts asking questions and spinning in a circle at the same time.

Pouting she says, “You’re no fun right now.”

After looking at the younger girl Alex enters the library and with a glare at Raymond she leads Jaz to the reading area in the back.

Jaz looks at the girl sitting at one of the desks. She looks a little shorter than Alex but the thing she notices the most is her hair. “Hey why do ya have white in your hair? Ya don’t look old. Are ya the one that’s gonna be teaching me? I don’t think I need it I haven’t so far but Alex says so, so I guess I have to unless I want to be used as ingredients in one of Nana’s cures. Hey why haven’t ya answered any of my questions…” Whatever else the girl was about to say is muffled by Alex’s hand over her mouth, once again.

“I would tell you that she is not always like this but I would be lying,” The older girl greets Josette. “Though she is not usually dense enough to not know why you are not answering. Jazmine this is Josette, Josette this is Jazmine.”

“Hiya! Call me Jaz, Joset… Joeset…How do you say your name again?” pouts the young girl.

Smiling gently Josette says, “Nice to meet you Jaz. You may call me Knowledge. I know my name can be a bit hard to pronounce. Now why don’t you come here and tell me what you already know.”

Hours pass as the two girls talk. Alex sits a ways away reading a book on the history of the kingdom. Looking up at various shouts of ‘cool’ and ‘neat’ she also glares at Raymond when he comes back glowering only to run back from her look. Giving a soft laugh she stands and, with her ribs in mind, gently stretches. Walking over to the two girls she interrupts them, “I have not finished exploring the Palace yet. Why do I not leave you two to finish talking and do that instead of just sitting the rest of the time?”

Both agree to that. Josette speaks up, “Alex? I’ll gladly teach her.”
End Notes:
I'm only saying Josette is hard to pronounce because I have no idea how to *sheepish shrug*
Druid and new friends by Hex
The next day in the Palace Garden

Footsteps approach her as she sits silently listening next to an old tree. The person that the footsteps belong to sits down a little ways away from her. “I see you found the garden.” At a snort the male voice continues, “All right that was dumb. Jaz told me the reason you can never be found is that you’re bored. So I decide to check around the castle to see if I could find you.”

“You are sounding a little bit like a stalker,” Alex says opening her eyes to look at Nathaniel. “What is the real reason you searched for me.”

Sighing the Prince answers, “Truthfully? You interest me. I also had some questions I’ve wanted to ask you.” At an inquisitive sound he continues, “Well first in my mind is what is with the puppy and target thing you and Jaz do?”

“What did Jaz tell you?” asked the thief.

“I have no idea. All I could make out was ‘Alex’. That and a very cute blush,” Nate looks over at Alex.

With a slight shrug she says, “It is pretty simple. Jaz has boys chasing after her all the time. I call them puppies because that is how they act. Jaz calls them target because she says that is what I should use them for. Here is a question for you. Why did Jaz call you my puppy?”

Blushing Nate stutters, “Well… that is… I mean… Oh blast it all!”

Watching the boy trip over his words and the blush darken the obvious hits Alex, “Oh.” Putting on the mask of the ‘Master Thief’ she continues, “You can forget about anything happing. Because nothing is going to happen, understand?”

Getting up Alex leaves the down cast boy wondering farther into the garden. “You were a little harsh ma’am,” comes a voice from behind a bush. After a few seconds of Alex questioning her sanity a young woman stands up from behind the bush.

“So? I do not need someone trailing me around like a love sick puppy,” snaps Alex.

Pushing some of her red hair behind her ear the woman speaks, “You should give the Prince a chance. Plenty of girls would love to be where you are.”

“Let them! I do not need anybody. Especially a guy,” Alex glares at the woman.

Staring at her the woman observes, “You think it would make you weak. Love isn’t a weakness,” she continues ignoring the squawk of ‘Love?!’ “It is a strength. You remind me of another person I knew. He thought love would make him weak; that to be strong he had to do everything without help, that you couldn’t show your true emotions to anybody.”

Scoffing Alex turns and walks off, the woman calling “My name is Katrina. You can find me here when you want to talk.”

A few days later in the Garden

Alex sits next to the bush the woman she met a few days ago came out from behind. “I do not understand. Everyone, even Jaz, is upset with me. Nathaniel is sulking and the rest are glaring at me.”

“That’s because you hurt the Prince,” says a familiar voice.

Jumping in surprise Alex then grabs her ribs in pain.

“Sorry,” apologizes Katrina. “I didn’t mean to startle you.”

Confused the thief asks, “What kind of person gets upset by what I said?”

“A kind of person who likes you, a person not raised to be unemotional,” explains the woman.

Running a hand through her bangs she says, “He is a male. All the males I know do not…”

“The males you know do not have the luxury of being able to,” interrupts Katrina. “Tell me about yourself.”

Blinking in confusion Alex opens her mouth to protest only to be interrupted by Katrina saying, “Just tell me child.”

“I grew up on the streets. I was stealing as long as I can remember. I was about six when Nan caught me. She taught me to read, write, do math. She taught me about healing and Latin too. I still stole though. I meet S… my first partner when I was ten. We worked together for about four years. After that I worked as hard as I could to attain the title of Master Thief. Jaz attached herself to me a bit over a year ago,” Alex tells emotions running through her voice throughout.

Katrina nods, “You made a persona of a male thief. The only other people that knew you weren’t were Nan?, your partner, and Jaz. Sounds to me like you haven’t had much of a chance to become Alex, the female thief, the one who can be herself without the chance of getting hurt. Perhaps it time for you to be yourself, your true self. You have people around that care and will help.”

“Being yourself is dangerous. Jaz only gets away with it because I protect her,” she protests.

The woman jumps in, “And you now have the Royal family themselves to protect you.”

“I have to think,” states Alex.

Katrina nods and tells her, “If you need to speak again I’ll be here. The Princes call me Druid, you can too.” She then leaves the girl alone.

The throne room the next day

Opening the door a little Alex peers in and silently curses when she sees all the people in the room. Sighing she squares her shoulders and enter the room weathering the glares. Walking to in front of Nathaniel she asks, “Can I talk to you privately?”

“You can speak to him right here thief,” answers the Queen.

Alex quickly glares at Carmela before facing Nathaniel. “Ego contristo…” she then sighs and says again, “I am sorry.”

At the soft apology Nadie gasps in surprise, and Jaz drops the scroll she was carrying.

“I would prefer to do this in private but I suppose that I deserve the discomfort. I am not used to having a… a puppy. In fact I have never had one. I am a Master Thief, I make myself look like a boy for my job, I am… not normal. I do not understand these… feelings? I… I do not know what I know. I do know though that I am sorry,” Alex stumbles through the apology.

At the silence that comes after her apology, the thief drops her head and gives a quick nod before leaving the room.

After leaving the throne room she quickly retreats to her room. As she sits on her bed a tear falls from one of her eyes. Wiping it onto her hand she stares at it in shock. She sits there staring at the wetness until a knock sounds on her door a little while later. Quickly wiping her hand on her pants she says, “Intraveritis (Enter).”

“I’ll take that to mean ‘enter’ and not ‘go away’,” Nathaniel gives a small laugh as he enters the room. He walks to a nearby chair and sits in it. “It’s my turn to apologize. I was shocked by your apology, so shocked I couldn’t understand it right away. I’d like to accept it, if you’re still offering it?” at a shocked nod he continues, “Good. I like that you’re not one of those girls that automatically fall in love with me. It’s one of the things that attracts me to you, you being pretty is also a plus. Perhaps because I’m the heir I think to much on something intimate, and advanced, when I should be looking for something more beginning? Perhaps… friendship?”

“A… friend?” she gives a little laugh, “I’m not sure I have ever had one of those, or know how to be one.”

Nate gives a small smile, “You do a pretty good job with Jaz. Granted it’s a bit more like a odd sibling/parent type relationship than friendship but it’s not too much different.”

“So treat you like Jaz?” Alex asks.

Nodding he says, “Without all the ordering about stuff but yes somewhat.”

“Amicus (a friend) I kind of… like that sound of that,” she says. “Now what?”

Holding out a hand Nate answers, “I would like to say hug but for now I’d say shake hands.”

Alex reaches out slowly and grabs his hand. As they shake she gives Nathaniel a small smile. “Amicis. Friends.”

“Amicis,” Nate agrees.
End Notes:
Tell me if this sucks as much as I think it does will you?
False Guards by Hex
Alex’s Room a week later

“So she’s the reason the guards come in smelling like apples?” laughs Nate.

Lounging on her bed Alex smirks, “Yes. It is one of her favorite things to do to them.”

“Jaz is something else isn’t she?” he asks laughing.

As Alex is about to answer the door opens and Nadie sticks her head in. “Alex?”

“Yes Nan? My room is obviously yours as well,” she sarcastically answers.

“Hush child. Have you spoken to the King yet on the false guards?” questions the older woman.

“False guards?” parrots Nate.

“Why would I?” the thief responds.

With a questioning looks Nadie says, “Didn’t Jaz speak to you? I told her that you two should talk to the King about the false guards.”

Letting out a piercing whistle Nathaniel finally explodes, “What are these ‘False Guards’ you keep talking about?”

“Easy Nate, calm yourself,” Alex says worriedly. “I am surprised that you do not know. The false guards are well, they look like guards but the colors are wrong. The blue is the wrong shade, and the silver is more gray than silver. Also if I am going to explain it I would rather do it one time.”

Nodding Nathaniel grabs Alex’s hand and, after waiting for Nadie to move, basically drags Alex, who is staring at their hands, to the throne room.

The throne room

“Okay Nathaniel I’ve had Jaz gather everyone. What is it that is so important?” asks Marcus as he sits on his throne.

“Thank you Father. First,” Nate turns to Jaz. “You had something you and Alex were suppose to tell my Father?”

“Um no?” answers the young girl looking confused.

Nadie speaks up, “What did I tell you, you and Alex should tell the King about?”

“Ohhh… Do I have to? Grumpy’s not gonna be very happy, and I don’t think the King will be either,” she whines in protest.

Alex sighs giving the girl a ‘look’, “Jazmine, just tell him.”

Pouting Jaz turns to the King and says, “Well it’s kinda about the guys that hurt Alex.”

“I thought you said you didn’t know who hurt her?” interrupts Marcus.

“I don’t. No really I don’t. I know what they are but not who they are.” At the older girl’s nod to continue Jaz says, “They’re fake guards, I said fake! Not real ones, man Grumpy ya need to relax,” she adds at Duncan outraged protest. “They kinda look like the real guards but not exactly, they also demand money too. They stay on the outskirts of the Kingdom. All I know about them hurting Alex is that she mentioned them when I asked what happened.”

Putting a hand on her husband’s arm Carmela states, “Perhaps Alex can give us more details about them and the attack.”

Taking a deep breath, remember not to breath too deep, Alex started to talk. “Like Jaz said they look like guards. The blue is off though and the silver is muted. They demand ‘taxes’ from the people who live near the edge of the Kingdom. They take stuff without paying and attack people for alleged crimes.

“As for the attack… I had a job. I was to retrieve a statue from the large house at the edge of the Kingdom. I was told there would be one maybe two people guarding the outside,” she gives a short bark of laughter. “The place was full of false guards, every corner, and every room… except the one with the statue. That should have been my first clue; I was overconfident, and sick. One sneeze and they came pouring through the doors of the room.

“As to what happened after that it is a bit hazy. Just running, fighting, and pain. I cannot tell you how I got away, or how I got home. My guess is I outlived my usefulness, as I think back to it now, it has trap written all over it,” she finishes with a slight growl.

“What I want to know is why no one has ever told me about this,” demands the King.

As the Queen tries to calm Marcus; Nathaniel puts a hand lightly on Alex’s shoulder in question. Rolling her eyes at the display of concern she then gives him a short smile.

She then speaks up, “They are scared. For all they know, you know about them. I have seen a real guard nod at a false one. Honestly up until I met you I too had the thought in my head that they just might be a branch of guards. I doubted it but still thought it.”

“And now Alex?” asked Carmela.

The thief shook her head, “There is now way you would have allowed them to do what they do if you had known about it. So the question is who does control them?”

“A very good question that is, one I intend to find the answer to,” answers the King. “Duncan!...”

“Wait!” interrupts Alex. “You cannot just send the guards out after them. They usually hid when the guards come; in fact they usually know when the guards are going to come. Inferos (Hell) they have a spy.”

A roar of outraged voices goes throughout the room, the loudest being Duncan.

“Calm yourself caput esca (Meathead),” orders the older girl. “I am not saying it is a guard, though it might be. For all anyone knows it could be a palace servant. That is why I think no one other than those of us here should know anything about what we do about the false guards.”

Matthew pipes up, “She’s right. If there is a spy, which evidence points too, then we should keep everything between ourselves.”

“You are correct my son,” Marcus agrees. “Duncan, no one is to know what we discuss not even your second in command. The only problem I can see is that we will probably need your help, Alex, Jazmine, and you are in no condition to help right now Alex.”

“I am fine to help,” argues the thief.

“No you’re not!” chorus Nadie and Nathaniel.

Jaz has her say, “They’re right Alex. Ya can’t move fast much less get into small places and fight. To borrow what ya tell me sometimes ‘Ya’d be a liability’.”

“We can wait, child. They have been here for so long awhile longer will do us no harm,” assures Carmela.

“My wife is correct,” Marcus says. “Besides we need to plan first, so we can do that while you heal. Then we when Nadie says you can we can put the plan into effect.”

Alex growls in annoyance, “Fine! I will be in on the planning and Jaz will not be involved.”

Following Jaz’s yelp of ‘Hey!’ the King partially agrees, “I would be honored to have you be a part of the planning. I cannot promise that we will not have Jaz doing anything, I can promise that we will do are best that she doesn’t have to.”

The youngest whine, “I can so help. Yep I can. I’m small and fast and..”

“Would likely get caught by talking?” interrupts Alex. “Paenitet (sorry), Jazmine this is not a small job or even a job at all this will be a battle and you are far to young to be a major part if any part.”

Huffing Jaz glares at the other thief before running out of the throne room.

“Oh Deus (God) now she is upset with me. While it might not take long for her to forgive me Deus (God) only knows what she will try to do to get even with me… excrementum! (shit!) my room.” The now worried thief makes her way as quickly as she can towards her room.

Silence hangs in the room only to be broken by a chuckle from the healer. Laughter from everyone else soon follows.

The next day in Alex’s room

“Deus damnare stupidus puer! (God damn stupid child!)” yelled a frustrated Alex.

Staring around her room she looks at the empty drawers of the dresser and then to the outfit that lay on the bed, a corset with a light red sheath dress. She then looks at the small towel that she has. Growling she throws the wet towel to the floor and puts on the outfit, minus the corset, then storms out of the room.

The throne room

The doors to the throne room slam open letting in a strangely dressed, for her anyway, Alex. “Jazmine!”

“Eep! Dang she is angry,” yelps Jaz before making a break for it.

Alex, though injured, is angry enough to be faster than Jaz for once. Grabbing the running girl she then gasps in pain. “Where are my clothes?!”

“Alex?! Calm down… breathe… Nana?!” Jaz yells out.

Hurrying over the healer helps hold the upset girl up, “Calm yourself child.”

Nathaniel hurries over and holds up the other side of her.

Breathing for a few minutes Alex finally calms some. “I am fine. Nan, Nate, I am fine now.” As they let her go she faces Jaz, then she groans, “Besides the pain part I just did exactly what you wanted me to do did I not?”

“Are ya sure your okay?” asks a quiet Jaz. At a nod she perks up, “Yep! Ya sure did. But where’s that corset I left ya?”

The older thief lightly swats the back of Jaz’s head, “A corset with healing ribs Jaz? I might not have been very smart to get that upset about this but I am not stupid enough to wear a corset right now.”

“Oooo… Didn’t think of that. But ya look kinda pretty in a simple way. I think the guards are gonna have something new to talk about today,” snickers Jaz.

Sarcastically the older girl says, “Ha, ha. Now where are my clothes?”

“Um I ah... Oh crap. I forgot. Eep!” Jaz then runs to hide behind Marcus, who sits amused.

Nate carefully grabs the now growling thief and starts to led her out of the room, “Now calm down. I’m sure Jazmine will find your clothes. Right Jaz?” At an agreeing sound he continues, “Now let’s go to your room so you don’t have the whole palace talking about this, yes?”

As they walk the halls to her rooms Alex mutters in Latin the whole way.

Laughing the Prince says, “Something tells me Nadie would be washing your mouth out if she heard you.” He then blinks in surprise at the girl’s quiet yelp.

“Don’t tell her?” asks Alex in a sheepish voice.

As they enter her room Nathaniel helps her to her bed before sitting in the chair in the room. “This I have to hear. What exactly does Nadie do to wash your mouth out?”

“You have not sworn around her?” she looks at him.

“Yeah, but I stopped after she swatted me and threatened to wash my mouth out,” he replies.

With a slight laugh she says, “You are lucky. She has a special liquid that she uses in punishment. It burns like inferos (hell).”

“I take it she’s done it to you. I’ll remember not to swear around her,” Nate promises. Looking at the sitting girl he slowly speaks up. “I should return to the throne room.” As he reaches the door he adds, “Jaz is right you know. You do look pretty in that, it’s not your color though.”

A slight blush, almost invisible, spreads across her cheeks as Alex says, “That is why she picked this color. I hate pink.”

Nathaniel laughs as he leaves her looking at where he stood. Shaking her head Alex lies back and waits for Jazmine to come with her clothes, knowing that it could be a while for the hyper girl to remember where she hid them.
End Notes:
Caput esca actually means the head of the bait. Hey it was either bait or food and I thought since it was an insult Alex would pick bait.
Bath Time by Hex
A few days later in the central tower

Alex slowly makes her way around the top of the tallest tower, which happens to be the central one. With sharp eyes she watches the movement of the guards on the ground, and possible places to enter unnoticed. “Not bad, but not good enough.”

“I’m sure that Duncan and my husband will be disappointed,” the Queen walks up the steps to the top of the tower.

Turning around the thief gives a very shallow bow to the woman, “Good morrow, my lady.”

“Good morrow Alex. I’ve told you before you may call me Carmela,” she returns.

“As you wish, Carmela. Now what brings you up here?” asks Alex turning to look back at the guards.

Joining the girl at the battlements of the tower, “It’s about Jazmine.” At a worried look she quickly continues, “It’s nothing really bad. It’s just… well… she smells, as in I don’t believe that she has taken a bath in quite a while. I tried to bring it up but she just said… a lot of something, and then ran. Nadie tried but said that only you could really get her to do something she didn’t want to.”

“Jaz does not love bathing but she does bathe regularly. I cannot imagine why she would not want to,” says a confused Alex. At a pleading look from Carmela she finally answers, “Alright I will get her to bathe, just have a bath ready in her room please along with some soap and towels.”

Carmela gives the thief a kiss on the cheek, “Thank you very much Alex. I’ll have the servants ready a bath.”

As the Queen returns back into the castle the girl rests against the battlements and sighs, “This is not going to be fun.”

Outside of Jaz’s Room

“Let me go, let me go, let me go!” chants a frog marched thief. “I don’t wanna. I got stuff to do.”

Struggling to keep a hold on Jaz, the older thief curses, “Futuo (Fuck) Jazmine! You have never minded taking a bath before, and you need one you smell… like sweat, dirt, and… apples? Who did you throw apples at this time?”

“Do not smell. Let me go! I need to work. Work ya know the only thing that has them keep us here? Eep! Are you sure you should be picking me up? Alex? What are ya doing? Alexxxxxxx…!” a splash cuts off the squeal from the younger girl.

Kneeling down beside the tub Alex watches the girl surface and sputter. “Trust me, you smell. Also what do you mean the only thing that has them keep us here? They would gladly keep you here even if you did not deliver messages.” She helps the pouting girl out of her clothes. Alex then holds out a bar of soap only to be splashed with water. Hair and clothes now soaked the older girl glares at the other, “You do not want me to wash you Jazmine.”

Jaz grabs the bar of soap and sniffs it before making a face and giving Alex a look. “Flowers?”

Smelling the bar the older thief smirks, “Jazmine, Jaz. Just use it. Next time we can ask for some soap that is unscented.”

“Because thieves shouldn’t smell, they need to blend into their enviro… envi… the place around them,” choruses Jaz starting to wash.

“Their environment Jaz,” corrects Alex. She takes the bar of soap when the other girl finishes and starts to wash Jaz’s hair. “I believe that Carmela more than likely picked out the soap. I will tell her why we do not use scented soap later, alright?”

Relaxing and enjoying having her hair washed the younger girl chirps, “Yep!” She then dips under the water when Alex finishes.

Grabbing the two towels left by the servants Alex tosses one to Jaz as she gets out of the tub, and uses the other to dry herself off as best she can. She then leads the girl to the bed and sits behind her after snatching up a comb and brush. “Now what made you think that you had to deliver messages without taking care of yourself?”

“Nothing,” mumbles Jaz only to yelp when the other thief deliberately catches a snag. “Fine. The guard I threw apples at said that Marcus and Carmela and the others only put up with me 'cause I deliver the messages; that if I didn’t do that then I’d be kicked out on the street where I belonged. Ow… Alex!”

Carefully untangling the comb Alex apologizes, “Paenitet (sorry). The Royal family does not put up with you. They quite honestly like you a lot. Also rule number six, you will put taking care of yourself before a job or request. Rule seven, you will tell me things like this, anything that upsets you this much you must tell me. Understand?”

“Yes Alex. He also said that one day ya would get sick of me and figure out ya would be better off without me,” Jaz says softly.

With a growl the older girl asks, “Who exactly Jaz?”

“Promise not to kill him?” pleads the young girl.

With a look of disbelief Alex says, “Why are you protecting him?”

“I’m not. I’m protecting ya. If ya kill him then they’ll kick ya out and right now it’s dangerous. So pleaseeee,” she asks again.

With a sigh she nods, “Alright I will not kill him.”

“The new guard, the one that keeps looking at ya. Ya know dirt colored hair and brown eyes?” answers Jaz.

“I know who you are talking about,” Alex puts the brush down and rests her head on tops of the other girl’s. “I will have a talk with him to make sure he knows to leave you alone, I promise.”

“Okay! Did I tell ya that I found this really neat room the other day? It was full of pictures of all sorts of people, some of them weren’t that pretty but they all wore fancy clothes. And the day before I saw this guard try to do this move I saw Nate do the other day and he tripped on his own sword right into the mud. And…” Jaz chatters on.

The older girl closes her eyes and listens to all the things Jaz had found or seen over the past few days that she was to busy to tell her about. All the while thinking of what exactly she was going to say to the new guard.

The next morning in the throne room

A wide eyed Jaz listens to the King questions Alex.

“Can you tell me why I have a guard, a new guard, in the infirmary with bruises and a broken arm? Also why my healer seems to be being less than gentle with him?” demands Marcus. “And may I remind you that you do work for me now.”

“That spuria (bastard) upset Jaz. And as I have said before she is mine and I will not tolerate anyone hurting her in any shape or form,” rants the older thief.

Carmela looks over at Jaz, “Jazmine, dear child, come here.” When she arrives in front of the queen, Carmela raises her head so she can look in her eyes. “What did the new guard say to upset you, little one?”

When the girl hesitates Alex exasperatedly says, “I already told you he lied. So tell them so they can tell you the same thing puer inepta (silly child).”

“He said that nobody wanted me and that ya only put up with me ‘cause I was fast,” whispers Jaz.

Carmela starts to mutter under her breath about what she should do to him, while Marcus plans to make a stop to talk to him. Nathaniel starts talking about a new sparring partner, while Matthew walks up and gives the younger girl a hug from behind.

“I personal will always want you my dear Jazmine,” Matt says next to her ear.

With a yelp Jaz jumps out of the boy’s arms and hides behind Alex, “Target!”

Nate shares a knowing look with Alex before breaking down in laughter. “Don’t worry brother I’m sure one day she’ll come around to liking you.”

Matt huffs at his brother before smiling at Jaz once more.
End Notes:
Ah just another day in the life of Jaz and Alex.
Alphabet by Hex
The next day in the Library

“So then whenever he started talking bad about me Nana would use her special mouth wash on him. I think he had it done more times than Alex has her whole life. Well what are ya going to teach me today Knowledge? Huh?” asks an animated Jaz.

Josette smiles at the young girl, “Well we’ve worked on numbers for the past few days so let’s do letters.”

“Huh? How am I suppose to work on letters when I don’t know how to read or write?” the thief asks with a confused look on her face.

With a laugh the older girl explains, “Not letters as in messages, but letters like in the alphabet. The things you put together to write words. Those letters.”

“Ohhhh,” breathes Jaz. “Cool! Let’s do this!”

Grabbing a sheet of parchment and something to write with Knowledge starts, “Okay, I’ll write down the alphabet and leave space for you to copy underneath the letters. As you do that I’ll tell you what is what.”

Nodding her head fast in response Jaz stops for a moment, “Ooo dizzy.”

Josette laughs as she finishes writing. Putting the parchment in front of the younger girl she then gives her the quill and asks, “Do you know how to use one of these?”

“Yep!” came the proud answer. “Alex gave me one so I could draw.”

“Good. Now copy what I’ve written down,” the older girl instructs.

For the next two candle marks the two go over the alphabet. Finally Josette tells the younger girl she can go.

Jaz jumps up, “Can I take this to show Nana, and Alex?” she points at the parchment with the alphabet on it.

“Go ahead,” Knowledge tells her.

The thief hugs the other girl, “Thank ya, you’re nice. I like ya. Bye-bye Knowledge.” She then runs out of the library leaving behind a bemused Josette, and an irritated Raymond.

The infirmary

“What part of duck do you not understand?” Alex says as she puts a salve on the cut Nathaniel has received.

Wincing he defends himself, “I was distracted; people don’t normally yell stuff at me while I’m sparring.”

“You were showing off. That is what you were doing. If I knew that by being there I would cause you to grow an ego I would not have asked to watch,” corrects the thief now putting a bandage on his upper arm.

Nathaniel starts to sulk, “No you’re right I shouldn’t have showed off for you. Ow!” Alex looks at him from tightening the bandage, “Well I was; sometimes I just can’t help myself around you.”

“Your self-control does not impress me right now,” she informs him. Grabbing the salve and the rest of the bandage she goes to return them. Coming out of the storage closet she pauses to look at the Prince. His hair lays in disarray hanging down to his collar, while his torso is covered in a thin sheen of sweat from his sparring. As he looks up at her she gets to glance at her favorite part of him; his silvery blue eyes that still have some innocence in them. Catching up to her thoughts Alex shakes her head continuing into the room.

The Prince opens his mouth to say something only to be interrupted by a loud thud coming from the other side of the infirmary doors. “Owiee!” comes a muffled voice.

Alex starts to snicker, recognizing that voice anywhere. Looking towards Nate she mouths ‘Jaz’ to him. His response is silent laughter and a shake of his head. Walking to the doors the thief pushes open the door and looks down at the young girl on the floor. “Forgot that the doors open out again Jaz?”

“Not funny Alex,” the younger girl sulks. Picking herself up she grabs the parchment she had dropped and remembered what she came there for. “Lookie, look, look, lookie! I did the alphabet! Not as fancy and neat as Knowledge but I did it!”

Taking the parchment that’s held out Alex unrolls it and starts to look. A hand drops on her shoulder and Nathaniel’s head appears above the other, ignoring the glare that the older girl shoots him, he too looks at the parchment. “Good work Jaz. Fanciness and neatness will come with practice just like stealing,” Alex says.

“I think you did better than I did the first time Jaz,” congratulates Nate.

“Wee!” she squees in joy as she spins in a circle. ”I wanna show Nana. Is she in there?”

“No, she is in her shop today. She said she would be back the day after tomorrow,” Alex tells her. At the girls pout she adds, “The King has shown an interest in your education…” she sighs at the confused look, “He wants to know what you are learning, so why do you not show him?”

Nathaniel nods in agreement, “Yes I believe that my Father would be very happy to see what you have done today. Besides I think he has a message for you to deliver as well.”

“Cool! Thanks. Bye-bye,” Jaz yells as she runs towards the throne room only to pause and turn to look at the two. “Make with the kissy face already!” She then continues on even faster at the older girl’s yell of ‘Jazmine!’

Turning Alex pokes the laughing Prince in the chest. “Do not encourage her Nate.”

“Why not?” he asks with a smile. “After all I do want to ‘make with the kissy face’ with you.”

With a slight blush she questions, “What happened to being amicis (friends).”

“Some of the best people to ‘make with the kissy face’ with is a friend, but I know what you mean. I’ll not push you, but that doesn’t mean I won’t tease you; after all you look rather pretty with a blush,” he teases.

The thief holds her head high, “Good, because I do not want to kiss you… yet,” she adds softly at the end. She then glares at him when his widening grin alerts her to the fact he heard the ‘yet’. Turning on heel the girl starts to walk away, “I am going to go check and see how caput esca (Meathead) is doing with the changes of the guards.”

After watching the blushing girl until she was out of sight, Nathaniel turns and heads to clean up before going to the throne room while whistling a tune.

Throne Room

As Nate enters the throne room, Jaz looks up and asks, “So did ya make kissy face?”

Blushing himself, under the interested looks of his family, he answers with a smug smile, “No, not yet.

“She said ‘yet’?” squees the little thief. “Wahoo! You’re wearing her down Nate. “

With a laugh he says, “With patience I shall have her heart freely given someday.”

“I’m sure you will my son,” Carmela says.

A slightly worried look enters his eyes, “Do you approve Mother, Father?”

“I’m not entirely sure Nathaniel. One part of me wishes that you would find a proper girl to chose, the other part just wishes you to be happy,” she explains.

Marcus raises his wife’s hand to his mouth and kisses it before answering, “I approve my son. She’s quick; she’s been a great help with the planning. Also I’ve always thought you would need someone your equal, which she certainly is in some things.”

“Oh! My turn. I think you’re already on the way to getting her to really like you. I know she likes ya a little bit ‘cause she fixed you up, right?” Jaz gives her two bits, bouncing on her feet.

Nodding he says, “Yes she did treat the cut I received.”

“See! She woulda just told ya to suck it up if she didn’t like ya at least a little bit,” she informs Nate.

Matthew finally speaks up, “I like her alright enough. You already know I think you’re insane for liking someone that threatened to stab you.”

At the outraged gasp from his mother, and his father’s laughter, Nate growls, “Thanks a lot Matt.”

“My pleasure big brother,” the young prince answers as he sends the heir a smug smile.
End Notes:
It took me 10 mins. to get the italics to work correctly, in other words not do the whole story. only 3 mins of that was waiting for the page to load. *sighs* I need to go back and do that to other pages. Ta
Birthdays and Nightmares by Hex
In the courtyard

“I am telling you that, that area right there is the most susceptible to breaking into,” Alex says once more.

Duncan argues, “We have never had anybody come through there.”

“If they were good, and they were, then you would never know where they came from. Are you not still missing an ivory crucifix?” she asks.

He sputters, “How… how did you know about that? Do you know where it is? If so return it!”

“Calm yourself. I know about it because I knew who stole it. Yes I know where it is, and I was planning on returning it when I was allowed to go outside the Palace,” the thief says in reply to his thundering.

“Oh…” he says at a loss for words.

Raising an eyebrow she continues, “Now are we going to discuss how to cover that area or are you going to yell at me more?”

“I… ah… I’ll adjust the guard’s route to come by this area,” he finally replies.

“Good,” the girl nods before heading towards the castle, “Now it is dinner time and I do not want to miss it. Oh by the way felix natalem, caput esca (happy birthday, meathead).”

With a confused look Duncan informs the guards on the change of route and then heads to join the royal family for dinner.

Dining Room

“Oh inferos (hell) no!” yelps, yes yelps, Alex grabbing a plate with a large slice of cake on it from Jaz.

Jaz whines, “Heyyyy!”

Giving the small girl a glare Alex holds out her hand for the knife, “May I?” After receiving the knife she cuts a not quite small piece and hands that over to Jaz, who only pouts more. “Gratias ago tibi (thank you).”

“Alex, I’m sure that Jazmine can have more than that,” the Queen says.

“Oh no. You have not seen Jaz on sugar, just ask Nathaniel what she is like,” Alex points at the now wincing Prince.

At his family’s questioning looks he says, “Think Jaz but faster and less understandable.”

“Plus add in a headache and exhaustion from just watching her,” adds Duncan. “At least I believe that was from sugar? The day I escorted her to their home to retrieve some things?”

“Yes, I fully admit I set her on the guards. She was the one that picked you, not me,” Alex says defending herself. “And you will be doing some running before bed tonight Jazmine.”

“Fine,” sulks Jaz. She instantly gets into a better mood once she has taken a bite of cake. “Yum!”

After the cake is finished Duncan excuses himself and starts to leave when all of a sudden Jaz jumps up and yelps, “Wait up! Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, umph…” After picking herself up of the floor from running into Duncan she announces, “I got ya something,” in a sing song voice.

After a few moments of silence Alex yells, “For Deus’ (God’s) sake Jaz just give it to him!”

“Eep! Okay, um I got ya this, well really I didn’t get it for you I already had it, and it did belong to ya first until I took it and… um shutting up now?” she concludes at a glare. Jaz then thrusts her hands out holding a small package.

Carefully talking it Duncan opens the package reviling a shiny badge, “My Captain of the Guard badge? You’re the one who stole it? I… I… I thank you for returning this,” he finally says after seeing the glares from various people in the room.

“Welcome, bye-bye now. Oh! And Happy Birthday!” she then gives him a quick hug then runs to Nathaniel and starts chattering about how she stole it.

As a dazed Duncan walks from the room Alex turns a look onto Carmela, “This is a Jaz on sugar,” pointing at the still chattering girl. “All right Jazmine time for a run.”

“Aww, but Alexxxx…” the younger girl whines.

“Now!” orders the eldest thief.

“Yes Alex,” and runs out the door.

Eyes widening Alex yells, “Around the palace not through it!”

That night in Alex’s room

The door to the room opened a crack, but that was enough to wake the sleeping thief. Her hand going to the dagger under her pillow she opens one eye slightly. A person around fifty six inches tall entered the room; but Alex relaxed at the soft voice asking, “Alex?”

“Deus (God) Jaz, are you trying to make me attack you?” the older girl questions as she releases the dagger. Looking through the darkness at the girl’s face she continues, “Why did you wake me Jaz?”

Instead of answering the younger girl walks up to the bed and crawls under the sheets making her way to the head of it. When she reaches it she simply lays her head on Alex’s stomach.

“Did you have an insomnium (bad dream)?” the older girl runs her hand though the others hair. After feeling a nod against her stomach Alex tells her, “Tell me about it.”

Pushing her face deeper in to the other Jaz mumbles, “No.”

“Tell me,” Alex orders using her hand to tilt the girl’s head up to look her in the eyes.

Blinking away a tear the younger thief softly starts, “I dreamed that ya went to get information on the fake guards and they got ya again. Only this time ya didn’t get away.”

“The only reason they were able to get a hold of me was because they knew I was going to be there. When I go this time they will not know,” the older girl tries to comfort her.

“But what if they end up finding out? Ya almost didn’t get away last time,” came the worried response. “I don’t wanna lose ya Alex.”

The older girl wraps her arm around Jaz, “I was sick last time, and we know we can trust everyone that knows the plan. You will not lose me. I will never allow anyone to keep me from you. And you already know I will kill anyone who tries to kill me. So dry your tears and sleep pestis (pest).”

“’Kay,” says the other girl as she wipes away her tears and lays her head back down. “I’m sleeping here though. Night-night.”

Alex lets a soft smile spread across her face as she looks down at the sleeping girl. After a minute she finally closes her own eyes and allows herself to fall asleep once more.

The next morning

A soft knock sounds from the other side of the door, waking the older of the two girls up. Giving a little stretch she looks at the door, “Intraveritis (Enter).”

“Did I wake you? I’m sorry if I did; I’m just looking for Jaz. Nobody can seem to find her… but I see you have,” Nate says quietly as he enters the room.

“Insomnium,” she explains. At a confused look she translates, “Bad dream. She has not been in my room since I was allowed out of the infirmary; she always comes to sleep with me when she has one.”

Sitting in the chair near the bed the Prince tries not to stare at the underdressed thief, “Any idea what it was about? And isn’t that my shirt?”

“It fits. Your Father’s and Duncan’s would be too big, and it would fell wrong to wear Matthew’s, so yes I stole your shirt,” she then grabs one of the small pillows on the bed and throws it at him. “That is for staring,” she explains at his wounded look. “As for the insomnium (bad dream) it was about the false guards catching me again, but without me being able to escape this time.”

Putting the pillow in his lap Nate defends himself, “I wasn’t staring, I just happened to notice it looked familiar.” He then shifts his eyes to Jaz, “I’ve had that dream as well.”

“For Deus’ (God’s) sake, I am not going to be captured, and if I am I will not allow them to kill me. Nothing is going to take me away from yo… her,” she quickly corrects.

Smiling, having heard what she was going to say, Nate walks over to the bed and looks her in the eyes, “I’m glad you will fight; I also hope you will be safe when you do go through with the plan?” At her nod he continues, “Good. I would hate to lose you before I got to ‘make kissy face’ with you.” He teases her before ducking her attempt to swat him. He then quickly leans down and presses a kiss to her forehead and while she is shocked still he does the same to the little thief beside her. “We will be breaking our fast in a candle mark. I’ll go tell everyone that I found Jaz and she’s fine.”

Alex blinks as Nathaniel turns and exits the room. After a few minutes to process all that had happened she looks down at the girl when she says in her sleep, “Mm… kissy face…”

With a scowl the older girl gives a push and watches as Jaz tumbles over the side of the bed.

“Owieee! What was that for?” the younger thief whines.

Looking down at the girl from the bed Alex says instead, “The breaking of fast is in a candle mark. You might want to go to your room and change. Though I think Matt would enjoy seeing you in his shirt.”

Jaz scowls while she blushes; she then proceeds to stick her tongue out at Alex, who then catches it. “Leh do!”

“Do not stick it out unless you want to lose it,” replies a smug Alex before she releases the other’s tongue. “Now shoo.”

Making a face at the older girl Jaz then runs out the door just being missed by a small throwing dagger. What she doesn’t see is the wide smile on Alex’s face as she leaves, and she doesn’t hear the bark of laughter that follows.
End Notes:
When I wrote 'around the castle, not through it' I myself wasn't sure if I meant through, meaning in it; or through, and in crashing through the walls. One never knows what a hyper Jaz can do.
The Talk by Hex
Author's Notes:
Mention of an unmentioned character death. Non graphic.
A month later in the outdoor training area

Nathaniel leans back against the palace wall as he watches the now healed thief literally bounce of the walls. Jaz, who stands beside him, cheers her on.

After a candle mark of flips, jumps, running, and just moving in ways no normal person can, Alex stops and bends over to catch her breath. “I need to practice more.”

His jaw dropping Nate says, “You’ve just done more things that my guards can do and all you can say is you need more practice?”

“It has only been what? A candle mark? I need more stamina before we can go through with anything,” she says sighing in disgust grabbing a towel to dry herself with.

A blush appears on the heir’s face, showing where that statement went in his mind. Looking at him Jaz breaks down into giggles. As Alex looks from Jaz to the Prince she too blushes and then throws her towel at him. “Watch where your mind goes Nate.”

“Um where did his mind go? I mean he’s still here and thinking, I can tell by him blushing; so where did it go?” Jaz questions innocently.

As Nate blanches, Alex blushes harder and explains, “I mean he started thinking of something else, and before you ask what all I will tell you is it was a grown up puppy thought; so you are to young to know.”

“So ya mean it had to do with sleeping together? I don’t know why ya people are so shy about sleeping together I mean I’ve done it with ya, Alex, and… mph,” Jaz’s mouth is now covered by Alex’s and Nate’s hands.

The older thief groans and puts her face in her other hand, “I am so having Nan give you ‘the talk’.”

“She gave it to you as well?” Nate asks her.

Nodding she says, “Yes, of course I was younger than Jaz. I think she thought I would give it to Jaz.” Shuddering the thief then yelps in pain, dislodging the other’s hand as she jerks hers away from the youngest thief’s mouth. “Deus damnare (God damn) Jaz!”

“Well I needed to breath ya know!” defends the girl.

Alex turns to Nathaniel, “I have a favor to ask you later but first I must take care of this.” She then grabs Jaz by the shoulder and starts walking to the infirmary.

A couple candle marks later outside the infirmary

Nate stands outside the infirmary waiting for the two inside to come out. After waiting awhile he is finally rewarded in his patience when the two girls walk out. Looking at Jaz first he sees the tan girl blushing bright red, and her eyes are wide. He then looks at Alex, the normally pale girl is even more so, and has a tinge of pink in her cheeks. When her eyes meet his she blushes harder and whimpers a little. “I take it that it didn’t go quite as planed?” he asks curiously.

Taking a deep breath the older girl steadies herself before talking, “You are correct. It turns out that she wanted to give me a revised ‘talk’ as well. Jaz? Why do you not go and avoid males for the rest of the day, I shall tell the King that you are otherwise occupied.”

Nodding automatically the younger thief turns and walks right into Matthew who has come looking for her. Yelping she says, “Don’t even think about anything like what I just heard target!” She then goes around him and runs the rest of the way to her room.

The youngest Prince points after her with a questioning look. “Nadie just gave her the ‘talk’,” Nathaniel says laughing.

“Oh. She’s really pretty when she blushes, don’t you think so?” he asks in return.

Shaking his head Nate says, “You have it bad brother; and yes she does look cute, but she is far too young to be pretty to me.”

“She better be,” growls Alex. “Inform the King that Jaz will not be available to deliver messages for the rest of the day, will you Matthew? And you… I have a favor to ask of you.” She the grabs the heir by the hand and leads him towards somewhere private to talk.

In the abandoned Blacksmith’s shop

“So this is where you lived?” Nathaniel asks the thief as she searches through piles of stuff.

Looking over her shoulder Alex nods, “Yes, this is home. Now where did I stash that thing?”

Taking a seat at the table in the center of the room the Prince takes a look around the place. What he notices the most is the amount of moving objects, clocks, music boxes, and toys. All of which bear signs of fixing. “Did you fix all of these?”

“Yes. It is… relaxing when it is not covered in dust,” she replies wandering behind a line of piles. “I knew it! Jaz took it.” Coming back she carries a twelve inch tall ivory crucifix.

Studying the crucifix in her grasp Nate suddenly gasps in recognition, “That’s the cross that my grandfather gave his wife. I remember seeing it as a child.”

“Technically it is a crucifix. I would not know the story behind it just how it was stolen,” the thief says with a smirk.

Reaching out to take a hold of it he asks, “How did you steal it, when did you steal it?”

“Please, like I would steal a crucifix to keep. Seth stole it when we were seven,” she says with a soft smile.

His eyes narrowing Nate questions, “Who is Seth?”

“He is my partner,” is the answer.

“Partner?!” yelps the Prince.

Looking at the boy in surprise she then sighs, “Oh for the love of Deus (God). My thieving partner, not a lover partner; though he might have been in time. I should also have said he was my partner, he no longer is.”

“Why did he leave you?” Nate asks after calming down.

“He did not have a choice,” she snaps back.

Nathaniel’s eyes widen in realization, “Oh. My apologies, may I ask how he died?”

“No,” she then sighs and sits in the chair on the other side of the table. “I dared him to steal something from a guard. I… I did not know that is was a false guard. Th… they killed him, beat him and left him to die. When I tried to get help… they said it was just a thief. I was stultus (a fool), why did I do that? I was fourteen; I should have known that they looked wrong.” As her voice cracks in grief a tear rolls down one cheek.

Hurriedly standing he makes his way around the table and wraps his arms around her. “Shh. It will be alright. We’ll get those fake guards and we’ll avenge his death,” he whispers into her ear.

The hitch in her breathing is the only sign of her continued grief. After a few minutes she pulls back from his hold, sitting back further in her seat. Looking at him with now dry eyes she tilts her head in thought.

Nate brushes some of the hair that escaped from the pony tail behind her ear. As he looks at her, she moves her face closet to his, and just as he thinks she is about to kiss him… she does. Darting towards the side of his face, she kisses him on the cheek.

“Gratias (thanks)…” she gives a small laugh and switches to English. “Thank you, Nathaniel.” Looking into his wide eyes she blushes lightly before changing the subject. “I am going to pack some more items for Jaz and I. If you are thirsty there is a well in the next room.”

As the thief walks off the Prince puts his fingertips to his cheek, he then slowly breaks into a wide smile.

The throne room

Voices drift towards the throne room announcing the arrival of the two young adults.

“I don’t believe that you had a pet,” says a low male voice.

“I did! Granted they were Nan’s leaches but I considered them my pets,” argues a slightly husky female voice.

“You said you had a pet now, I haven’t seen it,” he shoots back.

Entering the room carrying two bags Alex looks behind her and answers, “Of course you have. My pet is standing right next to the King.”

As he enters behind her, Nate looks towards his father and sees only one thing next to him besides his mother.

“Hey! I’m so not a pet!” yelps Jazmine from the King’s side.

With a smirk Alex says, “I feed you, exercise you, and take care of you; you are a pet.” At the low kittenish growl she continues, “See you even sound like one.”

“You’re in a good mood. How? And I’m not sure I like ya in a good mood,” huffs the younger girl.

Now scowling the older girl says, “None of your business.”

“I thought that was your name?” quips Nate beside her.

Switch a bag so she now holds both in one hand, she then swats the Prince none to gently in the chest.

“Ow!” he yelps putting the bags that he carries on the floor he rubs his chest and pouts. “What was that for?”

“That got old the first day you used it Nate,” she says also putting one of the bags on the floor next to the others. She then walks up to Marcus and hands him the other bag. “I thought I should return this to help repay your kindness.”

He opens the bag and gasps when he sees what’s inside, “My mother’s crucifix. It’s been ten years since this disappeared. You stole it?”

“Why does everyone assume that I was the one that stole it?” asks a slightly annoyed Alex.

Raising an eyebrow Matt answers, “Because you’re a thief?”

Master thief, and true,” she agrees. “No I did not steal it, but I know who did. He left it to me when he died.”

“It’s beautiful,” admires the Queen.

“Yep it sure is pretty. I’m not too sure about the guy on it, but I like the color,” Jaz agrees.

At the astonished looks from the people in the room Alex sighs as she drops her head into her hands. “I have not had quite enough time to go into religion with her. I will ask Josette to do that.”

“I’ll ask her for you. I have to talk to her anyway,” Nate tells her.

With a curious look the older thief nods her head in agreement. “Gratias ago tibi (thank you), now if you will excuse me I need rest, so I shall head to bed now. Bona nocte (Good night).”

“I’ll go inform Josette of her new subject to teach, if I may be excused Mother, Father?” the heir asks.

Running his hand over the crucifix Marcus nods his head, “Of course my son.”

“Will I see you before you settle in for the night or shall I see you in the morrow?” Carmela inquires of her son.

“Probably in the morrow Mother,” he says as he gives his mother a kiss on the check. “Good night.”

In the library

Waving off Raymond, Nathaniel goes deeper into the library search for his friend. Spying the younger girl reading a book he sneaks up behind her, “BOO!”

The girl jumps in surprise and then swings a book around knocking the Prince in the face. As she sees just who she has hit she drops the book and gasps, “Oh my. My Prince are you alright?” She kneels down next to him.

“I’m fine,” he says as he wipes a bit of blood from his nose. “I think I might bruise, but I’m fine, and what have I said about calling me ‘my Prince’.”

Exhaling in relief Josette says, “Oh good.” She then slaps him upside the head. “That’s for scaring me Nate. I’ve told you not to do that.”

“Ow! I’m sorry okay, I’m sorry,” he yelps.

“Good,” she says helping him to his feet. “Now what has brought you to visit today?”

Rubbing the back of his neck he asks, “Can’t I just come to spend time with a good friend?”

“Yes,” she smiles in reply taking her seat again. “But not since Alex has come to live here.”

With a nervous laugh he sits and apologizes, “Sorry, I just…”

“Really like her?” Josette teases. “Can’t stop thinking of her, must spend time in her presence, and must try to make her fall for you? Hm?”

“Quite you,” Nate replies. “One of the reasons I came was to let you know that Jaz knows nothing about religion. So you’ve been volunteered to teach her.”

“No I wouldn’t expect a street child to know much about religion,” she leans forward. “Now why are you really here?”

Looking around he leans forward as well, “She kissed me.”

“Jaz?” asks a shocked Josette.

“No! Not Jaz. Alex,” he yelps.

“Reallyyyy?” she grins, “I didn’t take her for the type to kiss so soon.”

Blushing Nate corrects himself, “Well she didn’t kiss, kiss me. She kissed my cheek.”

“That sounds a bit more like her,” she says. “But what brought it on?”

Shrugging he explains, “She told me something about her past that upset her. So I comforted her and when she composed herself she… kissed me.”

“Hmm…” she leans back. “Jaz has told me that she, Alex that is, does seem to treat you differently then she’s, Jaz, ever seen Alex treat anybody.”

“I only know one thing for sure right now,” he tells her, “She’s very pretty when she blushes.”

“Which I’m sure you try to cause as often as possible,” she then breaks into giggles as the Prince nods smugly.
Horses by Hex
A few days later

“Nathaniel I should be training,” she states as he drags her down the hall.

Turning to look at her he argues, “You have been training nonstop for days.”

Giving him a look she corrects him, “I have been taking breaks.”

“True…” he looks at her then smirks, “Nadie told you to?”

She sighs, “More like threatened. Where are we going?”

“Somewhere to have a bit of fun. Now trust me,” Nate says putting his hands over the girl’s eyes.

Alex snorts, “I do not trust people. Why must you have your hands covering my eyes?”

“I want to surprise you, and it’s either my hands or a blindfold, pick one,” he maneuvers them around a person.

Staying silent for a bit she finally answers, “Fine. At least with your hands I can still see some things.”

Putting his fingers closer together the Prince leads them into a building and turns her to the left before whispering in her ear, “Ready?”

“As long as there are no flowers involved? Yes,” she tells him.

“Hmm. Note to self take flowers out of her room before she sees them… oof!” he grunts as she elbows him. “Be nice or I won’t let you participate in the fun.” He then takes his hands away from her eyes.

Blinking to get used to being able to see again, she looks in front of her to see a horse so black it has a shine of blue to it. Inhaling in awe she gasps, “He is gorgeous. He is a he correct?”

“Yes he’s a he. His name is Gabriel, he’s a stallion. He also is a bit ornery, so if you want I can find a better behaved gelding or mare for you to ride.” He tells her.

Turning to glare at him she starts, “Do not dare… Ride? We are going riding?”

Nodding Nate explains, “I thought you’d like riding, so I told Father of my plan and brought you here. When I tried to think of a horse for you to ride, Gabriel just seemed like he would be a challenge for you, which I thought you might like. I probably should have asked, have you ever even ridden?”

With an insulted sniff Alex states, “Of course I have. Seth and I borrowed some horses when we were eleven.”

“Borrowed?” comes the disbelieving question.

Once again she ‘looks’ at him, “Yes borrowed. You see when you steal you either keep it or give it to someone else. When you borrow you return to the owners. Which we did.”

He raises his hands in as if to hold off an attack, “Okay, okay, you borrowed a horse and rode it. Do you want to ride this loving…” as he pats the horse it turns it’s head and nips him, “Ow! This monster?”

With a short laugh she looks the horse in the eye, “I think we will get along just fine Gabriel.” She pats the horse and doges the nip aimed at her.

“Alright, I always knew you were insane but okay. I’m going to go get my horse ready, why don’t you do the same?” Nate tells her before walking off to another stall.

Watching him walk off she faces the horse, “Come on boy, and let us get you ready.” Leading him out of the stall she ties him to a post and stops. “Um Nate?”

He sticks his head out of a stall, “Yes?”

“I know how to ride a horse, not how to get one ready,” she says a little sheepish.

Laughing the Prince comes out of the stall and goes over to her after grabbing some brushes. “Well he’s already been groomed today so we just have to brush him. Here hold this,” he hands her a large brush. Stepping behind her he takes her hand and starts brushing Gabriel. “Like this, go in the direction that the fur lays.”

Her movements a little stiff she tells him, “You could just show me you know?”

“But where’s the fun in that?” he asks in return releasing her hand and stepping back.

Looking over her shoulder she shakes her head at him, “You are impossible.”

“That’s one of the things people love about me,” he shoots back.

After she finishes brushing Gabriel, Nate grabs a hoof pick and leans down next to the horse’s front leg. “Now watch,” he runs his hand down the horse’s leg and picks up the hoof. He then starts digging out the dirt that’s packed in the bottom.

Alex’s eyes drift towards a different sort of bottom before she catches herself. When the Prince stands up again and asks if she saw what he did, she blushes, “Yes. I will do the rest.”

Raising an eyebrow at the blush he stands near the head of the horse and takes in his view.

“Nathaniel! Tell me if I am doing this right or not. Do not stare at my auritulus (ass),” she snaps at him while cleaning out the hoof. Then after a confused noise she translates, “My ass stupidus (idiot).”

He yelps, “I wan’t, I was… okay I was, but it’s such a nice view… Yes you’re doing it right. I’m just going to go get the tack.”

Putting the hoof down she sighs, briefly leaning against the horse, “Gabriel. Your master is… I have no words sometimes.”

By the time Nate returns with the tack, Alex has finished cleaning the hoofs. Nate continues explaining each piece of tack and how to put it on the horse. After they finish tacking Gabriel, Nate goes and starts taking care of the horse he is going to ride.

Just outside of the Palace

Two horses walk with their riders towards the forest on the other side of the Palace. The Prince grins as he looks at the other rider. The thief is relaxed more than he has ever seen her. With a wicked smirk she turns to him, “Race you!” and takes off at a gallop.

Urging his own mount into a gallop his smile widens as he hears laughter drift back from the riding ahead. “Come on Raphael, let’s go get them.” The chestnut stallion snorts as if agreeing.

Following the girl into the forest they take the main path until all of a sudden she takes an almost invisible path. Curious he follows, both mounts now at a walk. “Where are we going?”

“You surprised me, now I surprise you,” she calls back.

Minutes pass and they finally come upon a small lake. Hopping off of Gabriel, Alex gives him a pat before tying him to a tree. Leaving Nate to follow her example she climbs onto a large rock by the shore of the lake.

As the heir ties his horse he watches as she lays back and looks up at the sky. Coming up to the rock he gets up on the other side where there’s room. Watching birds of all colors fly above them he asks, “What is this place?”

Looking at him out of the corner of her eye she sighs, “Seth found it one day before we met. He showed me it a year before he died. We would come out here and just watch the sun rise or set, or just watch the clouds.”

“Have you ever shown anyone else this place?” Nate asks quietly.

Time passes and just as he gives up hope on an answer she says, “No. Not even Jaz.”

Turning over onto his side he looks at her. He leans up on his arm, “Thank you for showing me this place Alex.” Reaching his head forward he laughs softly at the hard look that enters her eyes. “Don’t worry.” He slowly bypasses her mouth and gives her a short kiss on the cheek. He then brings his free hand up and pushes some of her hair behind her ear, then trails his fingertips down her cheek before smiling and rolling onto his back once again.

Her mouth open in surprise she exhales before snapping it shut. Clearing her throat she changes the subject, “What is going on with Matthew recently?”

“Oh, he’s trying to woo Jaz,” Nate tells her.

Turning her head Alex looks at him, “Woo? Well all he really is doing is, how did she put it? Ah yes, ‘creeping her out’.”

“Yes, woo. He really likes her. I don’t have a clue what to tell him though,” he says scratching his head.

Thinking for a little bit she finally sighs, “Alright. I will talk to him. He is not a bad kid, and Jaz could do worse.”

“Really? Thanks. He’s been bugging me for days,” he says relieved.

She blinks then stares at him, “How long have you been thinking of asking me to talk to him?”

He laughs a little sheepishly, “Um, the past two days? I thought I would ask you when you were in a good mood. Are you angry?”

“Annoyed, but you can make it up to me,” Alex says before giving a evil smile. “I am in need of a sparring partner.”

Looking at her he starts to smirk, “Sure. I always enjoy winning a sparring match.”
Friends and *Splash* by Hex
The next day in Matt’s Room

The youngest prince lies on his bed reading a book. Just as he’s about to turn the page a knock sounds on the door to his room. “Who is it?” he shouts.

“It is Alex,” comes the muffled reply. “May I enter?”

He sighs in disappointment, “Come in.” After she has entered he asks, “What brings you here? You do know that my brother’s room is across the hall right?”

“Why would I go to your brother’s room? Do not answer that,” she held up a hand when he opened his mouth. “I am here to talk about Jaz, and you wooing her.”

Glaring at the older girl he says, “I will not stop trying to woo her. I like her and I want to get to know her better.”

She glares back, staring at him until he adverts his eyes, “I have no problem with you wooing her, and in fact I prefer you over the others that have expressed interest. The problem I have it the way you are trying, it is ‘creeping’ her out.”

With a slight pout he says, “I’m doing everything I’ve heard of. What my brother has done, what others have done. Where am I going wrong?”

Eyes narrowing she says “What your brother has done? Who has he… never mind. Where you are going wrong is that Jaz is not a normal girl.

“Jaz lost her parents when she was young, as far as I can guess she was around six. I meet her when she was twelve. When I took her in she was finally allowed to act like a child. She has embraced that, she does not enjoy the thought of becoming an adult.

“Take the target quirk, she calls the boys that pursue her targets, as she has put it ‘they are only good for target practice’. Right now you are reminding her of one of them. My advice is to become her friend first. Enjoy your childhood for a little, and then show her that growing up is not such a bad thing.”

Matt blinks in astonishment, “That has got to be the most I have ever heard you say at one time, maybe even total.”

Once again glaring the thief grabs a pillow for the nearby chair and chucks it at the laughing Prince.

“Okay, okay, I won’t joke about this anymore,” he surrenders. “So I should try making friends first?” At her nod he continues, “I think I can do that. Isn’t that what you and my brother are doing?”

Her eyes widen, “We are just friends. That is all.”

“Sure. If you say so,” smirks the young boy. “I’m going to go find Jaz and see if she’ll consent to being my friend. See you!” As he runs out the door a small dagger imbeds itself into the door frame seconds after he passes it.

Alex sighs as she goes to retrieve the dagger. “I am either out of practice or I am getting soft.”

In the palace garden

“These are Morning Glory flowers, the Queen’s favorite. As their name implies they bloom in the morning and close later in the day. Now each flower only blooms once, the next day another flower blooms and so on. As you can see they’re a vine plant… Good morrow young Prince,” Katrina interrupts herself as she sees Matthew.

“Good morrow Druid, Jazmine. I was wondering if I could talk to Jaz for a bit?” he questions.

“Of course my Prince,” she answer ignoring Jaz’s frantic shaking of her head.

Sitting down beside the wary girl he starts, “Please allow to apologize for my behavior. I’ve had it pointed out to me that I was just making you uncomfortable. So I’m sorry for that.”

With a suspicious look Jaz asks, “What do you want target?”

Wincing slightly he gives her a pleading look, “Please don’t have Alex use me as target practice. I’m can’t quite stomach blood as well as my brother can.”

“Now I see why that look works so well. All right already enough, I won’t tell Alex to use ya as a target,” she gives in.

He grins widely,” Great! Now I hope I can get you to agree to my next request with using that ‘look’.” As her eyes narrow he yelps and tries to reassure her. “Nothing bad. I just would like to be friends?”

“Friends?” comes the cautious reply.

“Yep. I can’t think of many things right now, but one thing we can do is I can show you the shortcuts around the castle you haven’t found yet,” Matt coaxes her.

“Um… Okay! As long as ya lay off the gooey eyes and wanting to make kissy face, I’ll be your friend. It’s kinda lonely, Alex’s busy, Nate’s wanting to make kissy face with Alex, there is Jo… Jos… Knowledge but she more inta books than should be healthy,” Jaz starts to chatter on.

Smiling he gladly listens as she goes on and on, and he willingly answers questions, and adds his own two sense in.

The next morning in the bedroom wing

*SPLASH*

“Jazmine!” comes a female shreak.

“Matthew!” sounds a male yell at the same time.

“I didn’t do it! Sam did!” yells back two voices.

“Who in hell is Sam?!” Nate questions.

“For the last time Sam does not exist!” Alex argues.

“He does now,” replies a smug Jaz.

The two older children are standing soaked outside of their respective rooms an empty bucket next to each of them. Jaz sticks her head out around the corner, as Alex spots her.

A questioning look enters the older thief’s eyes, “What do you mean he exists now?” Watching the younger girl become even smugger realization hits her, “You did not! You did! You corrupted a prince!” After a moment of silence she says, “I am proud of you Jazmine. Now I would run before we catch you both.”

Seeing the evil look enter the other girl’s eyes Jaz grabs Matt by the hand and bolts down the hall, the youngest Prince’s laughter trailing behind them.

Nate looks down the hall at the equally soaked Alex, managing to keep his eyes on her face he asks again, “Who is Sam?”

Gesturing for the heir to follow her, Alex heads back into her room. Grabbing two towels she throws one at Nathaniel and heads behind a changing screen. As she starts to undress she explains. “Sam is Jaz’s imaginary friend. She blames him when she pulls a prank on me or anyone for that matter. Now it seems that Matthew has decided to become her ‘Sam’. So it is most likely your brother set the trap on my door while she did yours.” Wet clothes hand on top of the screen, which Nate can’t seem to take his eyes off of. Alex puts her head around the side of the screen, “Grab me something to wear will you?”

Nate quickly comes out of his stupor and nods in acknowledgement. He turns to the chest of drawers and opens a drawer. Blinking he sees what appears to be some skirts and blouses, just as he reaches for them Alex comments.

“If you pick some of the things that your mother snuck in I will stab you,” she threatens.

Snickering he closes that drawer going into another one, “Only stab me? So you wouldn’t kill me?”

There’s silence for a moment, “Yes stab, you are becoming interesting so I will not kill you… yet.”

The resulting grin would have had the thief glaring at Nate. Reaching into the drawer he pulls out a shirt and some pants and puts them into the waiting hand.

There’s silence once again, when she sees what she’s been handed, she then sighs and starts to dress. “Really Nathaniel?”

“What? I think you’ll look good in that,” he responds.

With a disbelieving snort she comes out from behind the changing screen drying her hair. She wears a green peasant’s blouse with new black riding pants. Tossing the towel on a chair she sits on her bed and puts on her boots. Still not hearing anything from the Prince she looks up into admiring eyes. “What?”

“Did you know that your eyes look really green right now?” at her ‘think about what you just said’ look he gives a short laugh. “Yean I guess you wouldn’t seeing as you haven’t looked in the mirror yet. Um… You look good.”

With an unreadable look in her eyes she responds, “Gratias ago tibi…” at an exasperated look from him she rolls her eyes and repeats, “Thank you Nathaniel.” She then raises an eyebrow as if to say ‘Better?’.

“You’re welcome Alex. Now I need to get dry; and what are we going to do about this prank?” he says joyfully.

An evil smirk appears on her face, “I think I might have an idea.”
This story archived at http://imagine.e-fic.com/viewstory.php?sid=519