Daddyhood 2 by voracity
Summary: LIST ONLY! Had been in the mailing list's files section.

The sequel/intertwined story of Xander's continued adventures with his newly found dad, Jethro Gibbs. First story is found on the childhood series page of the old site.
Categories: Buffy/Angel Crossovers > CSI/NCIS Characters: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, AU, Humor
Warnings: Angst, Slash
Challenges: None
Series: List Only Stories
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 88988 Read: 74364 Published: 2015.01.30 Updated: 2015.01.30

1. Part 1 by voracity

2. Part 2 by voracity

3. Part 3 by voracity

4. Part 4 by voracity

5. Part 5 by voracity

Part 1 by voracity
Note: the pimp tax law is an actual suggestion by our wonderful government here in the US. They submitted it to Congress as a way to raise more funds. But they'll still prosecute them if they see the word 'pimp' on a tax form.





"It's not easy being me," Xander complained, looking around where he was hiding. He had been in DC with his father and his father's team now for four months. Four whole months. And now he was being hunted because someone intelligent wanted his dad and decided he'd make a good hostage. Which would've been fine if he hadn't been saddled with one of his dad's guys. He glared at Tony's back. "You know, I could probably get away easier by myself."

"Fat chance. There's no chance your dad is going to let you go off by yourself if you're in danger."

"Hello, was kinda in danger for sixteen years prior to this," he noted dryly. "Not like I haven't slept with danger in the past." Tony covered his mouth and he licked his hand, getting a grossed out look. "Want distraction or sniper?" he asked finally, but quietly, watching their tormentor at the end of the alley they were in.

"Stay."

"No."

"Xander."

Xander gave him a look and stood up, then spun, ducked, and dove behind a dumpster, which made noise, but the guy quit looking toward Tony's position. He snuck a lot more stealthily away from there, then came up behind him, pulling the revolver he had taken out of his car when he had been driven off the road. "Freeze," he ordered, pressing the barrel against the back of his head. "Now."

"You won't shoot."

"You don't know where I was before here," he noted dryly. "Yours wouldn't be the first blood I've seen." The man stiffened and he heard sirens. "Um, Tony, dear?" he called. "Your brethren seem to be arriving."

Tony came out of hiding and pulled his badge when the first cop car pulled in. "Feds, go away. This guy was stalking my protectee." He waved a hand at them. "We've got it." He called Kate's phone. "We've got one of them. Xander's presently playing thug. Not like I *let* him, Kate."

"It's my mistake of the month," Xander called. The guy ducked and Xander followed, flicking the safety on with his thumb. The gun got tossed at Tony and he proved he knew some hand-to-hand from his former life. The guy was on his back and Xander had a dagger at his chest within minutes; the guy even earned an amused look. "Are you having fun now? I am. I'll have *flashbacks*." The man swallowed. "Now, tell the nice officers why you wanted to kidnap me?"

"I'm trying to get his father to take my case, he's a Fed," he babbled, trying to shift. "I wanted him as bargaining chip."

"Enough," Tony said, coming over. "Let him up, Xander. I promise he won't run. Even though you did toss a weapon."

"I put the safety on first," he defended, getting off the guy. He noticed he was blushing. "Awww, did my gayness infect you?" he sneered.

"Enough," Tony said less patiently. He called Kate back. "Come get this guy. I don't have cuffs and Xander's at the taunting stage. That's fine." He hung up. "McGee's coming with handcuffs."

"Sure." Xander swung and knocked him out. "That might hold him until then." He took his gun back and checked it then put it into his back waistband. "Thank you for holding that for me." He grinned sweetly at the officers. "Hi." They backed up. "Sorry, he's annoying me." He stomped and the moving person quit with a groan of pain. "I said don't move. Next time, listen." He glared at him. More sirens were coming their way. "Hmm, sounds like Dad let the other son borrow the car." He looked at Tony. "So, you saw my car. How bad was it?"

"Pretty bad," he admitted. "It can be fixed though."

"Good." He stomped again and the moving person squeaked higher this time. Apparently he had stepped on a tender part. He looked down at him. "What did I tell you?" he asked, then he shook his head. "I sounded like She Who Barks." He walked off shuddering. "Guys, we're fine. I'm going to abuse him some more and then I'm going to disappear for a while. Because I'm flying out tonight for a summer trip to Rome." He beamed and bounced some and they just nodded, giving him 'you're scary' looks. He smiled and waved at McGee as he pulled in, pointing behind him. "I left him with Tony. Can I borrow the car?"

"Hell no," he muttered as he walked past him. "Into the back seat."

"Why are you going to Rome?" one of the officers asked.

"The people training me said it's a beautiful city." He grinned. "Plus, hey, many, many cute guys out the ass there." He bounced over to wave at the guy but Tony grabbed him. "I'm supposed to fly out in a few hours."

"Fat chance. Didn't your father say you couldn't go?"

"Nope. He just groaned." He smiled. "No 'no' given. Not even a 'hell' muttered my way. Plus it's part of my training." He bounced off but Tony caught him again and walked him over to the car, getting into the back with the suspect while Xander got shotgun and McGee drove.

McGee paused outside the car and looked up. "Why me?" he asked quietly before getting in. Xander got them all into some outrageous trouble. He looked at the kid once he was buckled up. "I'm surprised you're allowed out of the house after you made Kate go into the club that turned out to be a brothel to get you and she had to get drunk afterward."

"Hey, it wasn't me who was being fisted and stuff. I was being a good boy on the dance floor. She decided to head there first instead of looking at the more innocent attractions."

"I could've sworn you promised me you wouldn't go back there," Tony noted, kicking his seat. "Didn't you?"

"No, I said I wouldn't go into the back rooms again," he said dryly. "I said nothing about going to dance and rub off in the middle of the crowd."

Tony kicked the seat again. "No going back there, Xander. It's dangerous."

Xander looked back at him. "I'm pretty sure I've proven I can take care of myself most of the time, Tony."

Tony glared. "Even I, the slut king of DC, wouldn't go to a nasty, grungy place like that."

"Yeah, and you're still not gay. You wouldn't be in there anyway."

"There's straight people alternatives," McGee said bitterly.

"I know, Abby took me to one." McGee slammed on the brakes and looked at him. "Her idea!" he defended, holding up his hands. "I swear, all her idea. We went to get busy on the floor and not like she had Tony or you to tell her no. I guarded her back and made the three guys who wanted to make her the creamy filling go away."

"Drive, Probie," Tony said tiredly. "We'll talk about this later, while he calls to cancel his seats to Rome."

Xander snickered and nodded. "Sure I am." At the next light he slipped out and ran, losing Tony in the crowd around the coffeeshop. He ducked into a cab, panting hard. "Sorry, escaping the parents." His father turned around. "They wanted me to go to Rome."

"Fat chance. Gun?" Xander handed it over and ducked out, then took off again. Gibbs lifted his microphone. "Tony, he's headed for the checkered cab on the corner across from you and I've got his gun. Yeah, good hunting. Go after my son, I'll deal with the moron." He got out and tossed the driver his keys, going back to the office. He knew his son would try something like this. Even though his 'pre-agent' trainers had ordered him to go on vacation, he didn't want his son going to Rome. He wasn't sure Rome was ready to be infected by his son. He did call Fornell, seeing if he could pull a nice capture at the airport however. He walked the suspect into the office once he caught up with McGee and straight to interrogation, giving Kate a look. "Next time, you're going with him."

"Why? Have I been that mean to you, Gibbs? I've been an angel recently. Send Tony!" She huffed off.

"Tony might enjoy it," he called after her, slamming the door behind him as he walked inside, glaring at the person sitting in the chair. "Now then." The man whimpered. "You did what to my son?"

***

Tony caught up with Xander on the airplane. It was a nice flight. Xander had a seatmate but he was two rows and across the aisle from him. Once they were in the air, he smiled at his seatmate. "Change with me? He's my boss's son. We were supposed to sit together." he asked politely. She nodded and switched, so he flopped down, looking at him. "You are in deep shit, mini-Gibbs."

"They said they wanted me to go to Rome."

"I don't care what *they* said. They're CIA. You're NCIS now. You're ours. You're staying ours. Your father will go rip Langley apart brick-by-brick for making you take such a sudden vacation."

Xander looked at him. "I only had to pay hotel costs," he offered with a grin. "I get a full week in Rome, Tony. Any guy my age would jump for it."

"In return for what?" he hissed. The steward stopped beside him and he pulled his badge. "Company business." He hurried away. He looked at Xander again. "They wanted you to do what?"

"I'm supposed to be spotting their people. Seeing if I can identify them."

"Uh-huh. And for this they're paying airfare?"

"Plus a living allowance. They did give me an itinerary but it's the touristy spots anyway. Shouldn't take me more than a few hours a day." He grinned and nudged him. "I'm being a good boy, Tony. This is part of my training and you can go home. I'll be perfectly safe." Someone went running past their seats and up to the front, speaking rapid Spanish. "Or maybe not." He stopped a stewardess on her way to handle him. "I'm a Fed-trainee going for a practical exercise. Is he going to be a problem?"

"He's panicking," she said quietly, giving him a gentle smile. "It's fine, sir. Sit back down please." He nodded and sat down while she went to tell the others what that one had told her. The man got calmed down and he was put back into his seat. At least until they landed and then they let the Italian officials have them all. They released the trainee and the guy who was obviously grading his exercise so it must've been all right.

***

Xander called home, sighing at the growling that he got. "Is that my dog or you, dad?" He heard the barks. "Don't torture my dog or I'm taking out your girlfriend." His father assured him he wasn't, he was playing with his dog. "Good. No, they wanted me to see if I could identify people who were also agents. Yup, that stuff. He's here lounging on the other bed watching me call. No, all I had to pay was hotel costs." He beamed. "Of course I'm at somewhere decent. I wasn't going to stay in a really crappy place. My Italian's very limited to guidebook and touristy stuff. I'm actually at one of the diplomatic places, on the list for the State Department guys to use and get reimbursed. Sure." He handed the phone to Tony and stretched out on his bed.

"It's me, boss. Well, let's see. We were talking on the plane and the guy behind us freaked and told the stews on us. We were detained for all of ten minutes. I'm guessing he may have flunked thanks to that."

"Not my fault you stopped me," Xander said dryly. "When I checked, that's what Herbert said."

"Herbert? He thought this insane idea up?" Tony demanded. He handed the phone back. "Your father's swearing."

Xander listened, then coughed. "I'll have to remember that the next time I trip over your coffee mug in the middle of the night, dad." His father quit. "Yes, Herbert suggested it. He also suggested that I'm going to have one next summer with whatever I'll be doing. He was thinking Rio during Carinvale though. I know I'm still in school. I don't know, dad. You ask him." He smirked. "I'm still in *Rome*, dad. Sure, I can send Tony to the local office." Tony shook his head. He held the phone out and smirked. "I'm going for a stroll." He skipped out while Tony got orders. He'd catch up to him in a few minutes. And if not, he was more than capable of protecting himself. He ran into one of his fellow students and looked at them. "Peter." The other teenager gaped. "Here to spot people or be spotted?"

"Spotting others. You?"

"Same. Tony's back in my room though."

"Really?" he asked, giving him a look.

"Separate beds," he sighed, sitting next to him. "Not my idea. Dad sicced him on me to stop me."

"Poor baby." He patted him on the back. "We should go have fun. This is still a vacation. We don't start until tomorrow."

"Fat chance," Xander said dryly. "I've already spotted Herbert and Pierre at the airport and Pierre again at the hotel. I'm guessing we're not just spotting ours." His fellow student rolled his eyes. "You can check but I'm taking this a bit seriously."

"You think this is all Mission Impossible too, dear," he pointed out dryly.

"No, not all of it. Originally they wanted me to sex people for information. That's a whole different movie." He grinned at the shocked look. "It happens. Not many of us are out of the closet." He walked off, tossing the shirt with the chemical tracer back onto his buddy's head. "Thanks for that anyway." He headed off, going to buy a touristy t-shirt and take the other one off. It got dropped into a burning trashcan some homeless guys were warming themselves on. "It had chemicals or I'd have donated it," he offered in Spanish. That got a nod from one and he walked on after handing over a few Lira. He took out his small data recorder and made notes whenever he ran into someone who he thought was a spy. He had a lot of notes but better to over-warn than under-warn and miss some. He had been promised a reward if he spotted more than the other students.

Little did he know that there was a major convergence of them this week due to a scientific announcement. Not like his bosses were going to *tell* him these things.

***

Gibbs was waiting on the duo when they came off the plane, his son looking blissed out and bouncy. "You're still grounded."

His son hugged him. "I spotted fifty-three foreign spies there to destroy the new science thingy," he said in his ear. "I got more than my boss." He pulled back and grinned at him. He got swatted on the head. "I do deserve a 'good job' at least," he pouted.

"Good job, you're still grounded. I said no."

"They said I had to."

"They're in deeper than you are. Bags?" Tony held it up. "Only the one, DiNozzo?"

"Yup, boss. I only had to buy a few things and Xander didn't do much shopping since he was nearly run down by one of the MI-6 guys for spotting him." Gibbs looked at him then at his son, who was blushing and shrugging a bit. "Or the French one who tried to stab him. She was not pleased when she found out he was only there as a training exercise to spot their own people. Neither was her mentor, who came to us at dinner that night to complain to me. I pointed out I was *yours* and not Xander's boss. I had been assigned to watch him by you since he was *your* son. So I'd expect some more foreign complaints, boss," he finished happily. "Now if we'll excuse me, I'm going to go enjoy my movie collection and possibly a date tonight." He handed over the bag. "Toss me my stuff tomorrow once it's clean."

"I'll send it to the cleaner's and let her call you," Xander said dryly. "If I'm not dad's maid, I'm certainly not your houseboy, Tony." He walked off, taking his father with him. "I visited a *lot* of the historic places, dad. Did you know the old arena for the gladiator fights was being rebuilt in spots?" Gibbs sighed and nodded. He gave his arm a squeeze. "Three of my fellow students were there and flunked, dad, and you know I'm not going to go to them. You know I'd never do that to you."

"I know but that stuff is dangerous and pulling you deeper into their pockets," he said impatiently, making his son look at him. "They're going to turn you into a spook."

"Can't be done," he assured him with a goofy grin. "I did everything based on body language and hidden guns. That's why I missed a few. And then I ran into that guy we met at JAG that time, the State Department guy? Him. He was not happy and he made three very angry calls in Italian. My boss got arrested for dragging me there to do that. Clay was not a happy camper by any means. That's why I'm back a day early." He grinned. "He decided it was too risky to keep me over there and he talked to two of them about how I was in *training* and not going that way. Herbert and Pierre are still probably fuming, but I did see She Who Barks. Wasn't she over for a date while I was gone?"

"No, I told her she couldn't come over." He walked off shaking his head. "Son, I don't know what to do with you. I want to punish you but you'd just protest and pout that it was what you were supposed to do."

"Which it was," he pointed out, following behind his father, who was like a bulldozer breaking the crowd around them. "Sorry," he sighed when they got to the car. "I got to go to *Rome* though, dad. Rome! An ancient and really neat place!"

"I know," he said, shaking his head. "Still not right. Get in. We'll go home. Your mutt missed you. He's been sleeping on my feet for the last week." Xander slid in and put the bag into the backseat. "Did they have any other plans for you this summer? Since you only finished training a week ago and you're supposed to be interning with us at the office?"

"Only interning with you, dad."

"Good. I like that. You can help Ducky and Abby. That way I know you're safe." He backed out and headed home, then decided to pull over and check the bag, giving his son an odd look at the half-box of condoms. "Found the gay section?"

"No, but Tony found a really pretty girl he knew and dated a few times," he offered with a grin. "Not my brand, dad, and I used all mine."

"On?"

"Um, well.... They're older...."

Gibbs moaned and slapped the steering wheel. "You slept with a spook?"

"No," he defended. "I slept with a really cute and hunky chemistry major." His father moaned. "Who was female!" he defended. His father gave him an odd look. "I thought I'd give being het a try again. She thought I was foreign and exotic. Then again, I saved her from some vampires trying to eat her, but I was a good boy. She offered. I didn't ask."

"Son," he moaned. "Why?"

"She offered. I didn't even have to ask. I'm seventeen, dad. If some Italian hottie with 36-D tits and a really firm ass came up to you when you were seventeen and wanted to thank you for saving her life the old fashioned way, where would you have been?"

"On top," he admitted.

"Yeah, I was there too," he sighed, shaking his head. His father bopped him on the side of the head. "Hey, like father like son. Even Tony said he'd have tapped that girl."

"Uh-huh. Not the best judge, son."

"He's got an eye for beauty, dad."

"I don't care if he does." He got them moving again. "Got pictures?"

"I do in my wallet." He pulled it out and showed it to him when they stopped at the next stop sign. His father gave it an appreciative look. "See, it was *imperative*. My guy hormones decided she was more than good enough to sleep with." They moved on and his father actually smiled at that. "And hey, she only tried to kill me once and that was breath play."

That got another groan and a head shake so Xander left it off until they got home. Jethro followed him, shaking his head the whole way. Then he went back outside to call his son's trainers again and bitch them a new one. "So, was the woman my son slept with one of you?" he asked grimly. He paused. "She was what?" He whimpered. "Repercussions?" He just nodded at that. "He's mine. Remember he's mine. I will kill you all." He hung up and opened the door, just leaning in. "Son, did you know you slept with the daughter of a very powerful mafia family? That she's making drugs?"

"Yeah, she offered me a taste of her newest thing and I said I didn't partake. That's why she tried to strangle me. So I knocked her out with really great sex and walked out while she was sleeping it off." He leaned back enough to see him. "Are my bosses still under arrest?"

"No, it sounded like they were out," he admitted, walking inside. "That doesn't bother you?"

"Dad, how many times have you seen a *good* girl go after me? Hello, I'm shocked she wasn't some odd serial killer or something. I was happy that she was so minorly evil."

"Point," he decided, heading to his boat. "Stay in. You're grounded for a month."

"A month?"

"Make that two," he said cheerfully. "Including no dating, son. No chatroom sex either." He slammed the basement door and went to get drunk while he worked on his boat and muttered about his son. Because his son was really stupid at times. It was either this or his son would be yelled at soon. Then he'd get pouted at and it'd make him feel more miserable than watching his ex-wives walk out on him.

Xander went up to his room to email McGee and tell him how it had went, and then he told Abby all the dirty details so she could compare and tease Tony about not getting the ass he had. It was cute how she picked on him.

***

Tony looked up as Abby walked up to his desk the next day. "How is your intern?" he asked dryly. "He hit on Palmer yet?"

"Nope. You didn't go after the hottie?"

"No, she liked Xander. Therefore she was dangerous," he reminded her. He had learned to respect that rule after one had taken McGee to try to get Xander back.

"Good point. So where were you?"

"He lost me," he muttered, glaring at Kate when she burst out laughing. "Next time, you go follow the kid. They want him to go to Paris next time." She went pale at that and he looked at Abby again. "He lost me twelve times in Rome. I've been to Rome and he lost me twelve times. He's a bit too good at that. Remind him some day he'll need us and we won't be able to find him."

"Sure." She leaned over to kiss him on the forehead. "He said you needed that for your headache since his dad was probably still growling." She straightened up and the poke to her back, smiling at Gibbs. "You look like you slept under the boat again, Gibbs."

"I did. It was safer." He looked at Tony. "I got your report. We'll work on those flaws."

"Remind him to quit losing his protectors," Tony told him.

"I will. I've tried. McGee gets the next one."

"I thought Kate could follow him to Paris."

"He's grounded for the next two months, DiNozzo. He can go to Paris when he's older." Tony nodded at that. "For right now, let's finish up the reports on the last case." His email beeped and he smirked. "Cute," he noted dryly. "Abby, why are you up here?"

"Xander wanted to know if I could show him how to break down DNA for testing."

"Will it help him later on?"

"Probably," she admitted.

"Then remind him he's thinking about being a normal CSI sort, and work on those skills," he ordered with a hand wave. She beamed and skipped off.

Tony leaned back in his chair. "For some reason I have the feeling they're going to bond over tattoos or piercings. I don't know why."

"Because he's already scary and like her little brother?" McGee suggested. "The last time I went out with them some of the goth kids bowed to him like he was King Goth or something." Tony smirked at that. "You know why?"

"Sunnydale."

"Oooh," Kate hissed, shuddering. "They know?"

"Abby let slip where he was from to one of them and the gossip chain went looking. I got an email from Willow saying that rumors had even gotten back to them and some of them had asked friends out there to verify him being one of their hunting trio." Gibbs moaned and shook his head. "But it's not all bad. They think he's like a God, choosing who gets to be turned and who doesn't." He shrugged. "I'm betting he's had plenty of dates from those kids."

Gibbs looked over. "He'd better not. I get to meet all the boys he's seeing, DiNozzo."

"Talk to your son, boss. You have to set that rule with him. Not with us."

"I tell Gibbs whenever he's gotten some in the bathroom or anything," McGee assured him.

"Yeah, and I stop the kid from doing it," Tony shot back, giving him a look. "Did you *never* go clubbing when you were younger?"

"He's not the sort," Kate reminded him. Xander came up the stairs, dressed a lot like Abby, only in the boy's version of goth gear. "Did she dress you too?"

"No, I pulled this out of my closet," he admitted, smiling as he handed over reports. "Por vous. And yours," he said, handing one to his father.

"I don't want to know where you got the eyeliner from, but scrub it off," he ordered. "You can be goth, you may not wear makeup."

"Nail polish?"

His father looked at him. "Not at the office." Xander sighed and went to clean off, coming back a bit less pale than before. His father opened his mouth then shook his head. "You had on foundation?"

"Powder to make me paler." He leaned over to kiss him on the forehead. "Pierre called and wanted to know if I could go out for drinks with the rest of them?"

"Grounded."

"I know that but he wanted me to ask you anyway."

"Still grounded."

"Yes, dad." He walked off, shrugging at the director's odd look. "I'm working with Abby."

"I can tell. You're dressed like Abby."

Xander looked at him. "While I might be able to pull off a kilt, I'm damn sure not going to wear one of her school girl skirts, Director." He strolled off again. "I'd even wear it properly," he called as he walked.

The director shuddered and went to where Gibbs was filling out forms. "Your son is odd."

"Yes, he is. That's because no one told me he existed sooner and he had to grow up there," he said, scowling at his boss.

"I realize it was a mistake, Jethro. I'm very sorry your son is so warped." He walked on shaking his head.

Abby, down in the lab, turned off the security feed, giving Xander a happy look when he came back. "A kilt? Think you could?"

He shrugged. "Don't know, never tried. Would Dad think it's appropriate for work?"

"I don't know," she admitted. "That depends on what sort of night he had." She considered it and shrugged. "It is technically within dress code. There's nothing in there about male fashions from other countries."

"Why do I suddenly have the vision of me in a loin cloth like some African tribes?"

"No, that's Ducky. He's even got pictures," she said happily. She bounced a bit. "Okay, let's do that DNA example." He nodded and came over to help her.

***

Xander came down the stairs in his pajamas at his father's bellow the next morning. "What?"

"Aren't you coming?" he demanded. "We're going to be late."

"I don't have to be in until nine." He grinned. "That means I have time to let the hot water warm up again and take a sinfully long shower."

Gibbs shook his head. " I take it you're driving in today?" Xander nodded. "Bring me a new coffee. I'll need at least another one by then."

"Sure, dad." He kissed him on the cheek. "Go be scary guy with coffee in hand." His father smirked but walked out. Xander went to take a shower and slip into the new clothes Abby had made him buy the night before. He called her. "Are you *sure* I look okay in these?" He looked at himself in the bathroom mirror. "Yeah, just like she taught me." He looked at his feet. "We forgot shoes. Well, I was raised by Willow and Buffy, dear. No, my Doc's still rub my feet in spots. High tops," he offered, shrugging. "Nothing bigger than those. Sure." He went to put on his high top sneakers. "So, are these like the updated fashion for the old styles?" He grinned. "Be in within an hour. Dad had me stop to get coffee for him." He hung up and grabbed his furry bag, he had no idea what it was called but it was nearly as cute as his dog, who was giving him a very odd look.

"I know. Abby insisted." He petted him and ran his hands through his hair before going down to grab something to nibble in the car and head to the coffeeshop. The attendant gave him an odd look. "Abby," he explained. Since the whole office went there for coffee and sodas, they understood. He took the tray of coffees out to the car and headed to the office. His ID was scanned so he could get into the garage. Then his retina was read so he could get onto the elevator with his pass. He looked at himself and took the bag off, putting it over his shoulder for now. He walked off on the agents' floor and calmly put the coffees down on the proper desks, making Kate gape at him. "Abby said so." He shrugged and grinned. "Do you think I should wear the bag or not?"

"Not," she said weakly.

He grinned. "Okay." He headed back down to the lab. Ducky was in there. "I like the bag but it gave me dirty thoughts."

"You're seventeen, of course it did, lad," Ducky assured him, patting him fondly. "You did that very well. Better than I did my first time." He looked him over. "Non-standard footwear but they probably do you better around here anyway." He walked off smiling and happy with Abby's experiment.

She looked him over. "The black high tops do go okay," she decided. "Come on, we've got to do some ballistics."

"Cool." He came over to help, getting lost in the work.

Kate, however, decided to call Gibbs after a few minutes' soul searching. She cleared her throat. "Your coffee's up here, boss, and Abby dressed your son. No, it's not what I'd consider being part of the dress code. No, he doesn't look too tough today. Gibbs, I'm not... I can't. Either go down there or tap into the security system to look at what she made your son wear today, Gibbs. Please? Before I have nightmares?" She hung up and sipped her coffee, grimacing. She got up and changed it for Tony's. His was okay. McGee's was her usual one so she switched them to where they should be. Then she sat down again.

***

The Director walked into the lab . "Abby?"

She looked up and smiled. "Almost done on the ballistics from the last case, boss." She went back to work. "Give me another twenty."

The director looked at Xander, then at her. "Xander?" he asked patiently. He looked over from the computer. "What are you wearing?"

"Abby said it was her grandmother's clan's tartan. She said it was okay."

The director shook his head. "No, son, it's not all right. Go change."

"All I've got is the leather that I bought during lunch. Since I don't have a locker, I couldn't bring more clothes. I even took the hunting clothes out of the car to be washed after I had to change in the club the last time."

The director moaned. "What did you buy?"

"Some very nice, soft leather pants. A mesh tank top, a few new t-shirts," Abby said, smiling at him. "He looks way hot in them."

The director sighed and nodded. "Go home, Xander. Come back tomorrow in the dress code as it was intended. You can wear black jeans if you want, or any other color, and a button-up shirt. You can wear a t-shirt under them. You may not wear another kilt or leather pants."

"They're midnight purple."

"I don't care. No leather on duty unless it's for an undercover." He walked out, going to amend the dress code policy and send around a memo.

Xander shrugged and finished what he was doing. "Sorry, Abs."

"Not a problem," she agreed happily. "Shoo, go play with the dog." He beamed and finished up then left to do that. She beamed. Her protege was coming along *just* fine.

***

Gibbs looked at his computer as his email beeped at him. He opened it and frowned. "New dress code amendments. No kilts, no mesh tank tops, no leather? Who...." Kate moaned and he looked at her. "What?"

"Your son," she said, glaring at him. "Did you not do what I told you to earlier?"

"No, I let the director and Abby handle it. Why?"

"Um, boss, when I went down there a bit ago, Abby was very proudly bragging that your son was wearing her grandmother's clan's tartan," McGee offered quietly, glancing at Tony, who was snickering on his desk. "He's been wearing a kilt all day, boss." Tony nodded, falling out of his chair. "I'm guessing here but the leather was what they did for lunch and the director caught him trying them on or something."

"Where would you find a kilt in downtown Washington DC?" he asked, looking a bit confused.

"There's a place by the British embassy," Tony giggled. "Real kilts and all." Gibbs threw something at him and he ducked. "Sorry, boss. But with how he shaves he didn't look like the manliest of men in it either. Only a little leg hair."

Gibbs shook his head and called the lab. "Quit warping my son. He doesn't need it. He's already bad enough." He hung up on her laughs and called his son. "Son, go change." His son quipped he was going through a drive-thru and then doing that, did he need anything. "No, I don't want you in this office in that kilt ever again, son. We'll be talking when I get home." He listened to his rationale and snorted. "Son, Abby does not make the dress code and I don't care if Ducky was pleased that you were wearing it correctly. No." He hung up and took his coffee cup with him when he went. "Going for more coffee."

"Sure, boss," Tony agreed happily, smirking at Kate, who just put her head down and moaned again. "Awww, did you get to see poor Xander in his kilt?" he teased.

"First," she agreed bitterly. "I had thoughts about him I didn't want to have." She lifted her head. "Sort of like what you had after you kissed that guy, Tony."

He shrugged. "The second time was better." She went pale and stuttered then fled with a hand over her mouth. He gave McGee a smug look. "You going to comment?"

"Nope. I was there when Xander kissed you that time he got exposed to pot by accident. I'd hope the boy was a good kisser with as many dates as he gets."

"Technically he's only had three boyfriends and a few times in the clubs, Probie," he taunted. "I get more than that in a month."

"Yes, but he's not the bastard you are," McGee promised. "Even if he is a slut in the making."

Gibbs turned around and walked off again. He didn't want to hear that discussion. His son was right to keep his dating habits away from him. "Where's Kate?" he called as he walked.

"Getting sick with the thoughts she had about your son, boss," Tony said cheerfully, grinning at his evil look. "She is. Just ask McGee."

"She did run off right after she admitted to having some," McGee admitted. It was finally his turn to pick on Kate. He was so happy! Tony shot him a smirk. "So, boss. How is your son's last boyfriend doing?"

"How many has he had?"

"Three."

"I've met two."

"You met the third, just not as his boyfriend," Tony assured him when he came back dragging Kate. "Brink, that nasty Rasta kid? His little brother, the geeky one."

"Oh, him. Yeah, I met him. He and Xander were talking swords one day at the house. I told him he wasn't supposed to bring people home," he said grimly.

"They weren't dating at that time, boss. He was seeing Gregor."

Gibbs rolled his eyes at that name. "My son has bad taste."

"He has odd tastes and that's not what he wants really," Kate reminded him. "He still wants Tony."

"He knows Tony's straight," Gibbs assured her, getting back to work.

"Not from what he just said," she complained.

"Remember when your son and McGeek got hit by walking into that house to talk to the kids and there was the massive cloud of bliff?" Tony asked. Gibbs groaned but nodded; he'd had paperwork to get McGee out of his drug test. "When I went to pick them up at the hospital, your son kissed me. She taunted me about that one case and I responded the second time was better. Your son learned very well at someone's knee."

Gibbs gave him a look. "It's a natural ability."

"No wonder you had three exes," McGee said, then he covered his mouth. "Sorry, boss, momentary stupidity. Won't happen again." He squeaked at the look the others shot him. "Going to go help Ducky with the autopsy. Maybe he'll use me to compare." He ran off before Gibbs could punch him.

"Well, we could dye his hair red for you, boss," Tony teased. He ducked the thrown thing this time too, grinning at him. "He's the one who said it."

"Gibbs, I wasn't sick because I had bad thoughts about your son. I was sick because I couldn't shake the picture of Tony being under some trucker out of my head," she complained.

"I only top, Kate." She gaped at him and he shrugged. "I do. I'm sorry but I like to stay on top. Every now and then I let the women get on top but I'm very much a top. No matter who might be under me I'm a top. The same as Gibbs is."

"More than I needed to know, DiNozzo. Go down to the gym and wear all the dirty thoughts out of your head for another six hours. Then get back to work. Drag McGee with you." Tony went to do that. It gave him extra time to pick on McGee. He looked at Kate. "You don't really want my son, right?"

"No!" She shuddered. "No! Eww! Gibbs, I like the kid, the same as I like Abby, he's the closest I may ever come to children. But if my child ever turns out like your son, I'm going to have him forcefully sex changed and put into a convent where they sew them shut!" she said hotly. "Your son is a menace to my mental well being!" She stomped off again.

Gibbs relaxed, happy that no one on his team was thinking about his son *that* way. It was a good thing. He was happy with that, even if his son had worn a kilt to work today.

Abby came up an hour later and handed Gibbs the furry bag Xander had originally been wearing. "He took it off," she said, smiling at him. Then she put down a picture. "See, he looks so cute!"

Gibbs looked at it then at her. "Don't do that to my son, Abby. You made Kate pout."

"Sorry." She shrugged and beamed brighter. "Every now and then a small break from reality is good for you. Otherwise you start to wonder if you're real or not. Then you get stuck in philosophy. Then you get really, really confused and start to doubt reality and what's real or isn't real and you suddenly start seeing shadowy hands of puppet masters behind everyone on Capitol Hill and then you start to really break from reality because the thoughts won't quit spinning."

"Been there?" he asked. That did explain some things to him....

"Yup, twice. That's how I know a little bitty break from reality is good for a body. Besides, he was cute!!" She took another copy of the picture out and went to find Tony and show him. "Look! I took pictures," she said, presenting it to him.

He looked at it and smiled. "He did look cute in his kilt." He tucked it into his pocket and kissed her on the cheek. "You make paperwork days interesting and fun, Abby. Don't ever change. Though you might wanna do something about the skirt. I didn't know you had Hello Kitty underwear." She blushed and ducked into the bathroom to take her skirt out of her panties. He grinned and went back to his desk, finding Gibbs leaning back in his chair for a ten minute nap. He sat down and stuck the picture in his desk with the other Xander pictures he had. Someday he could show them to Xander's kids and then he'd see what sort of payback they could give for him. And Gibbs of course.

***

Xander came back to the office after his first day of school with the dreaded note. "Not my fault. Bryon started it."

"Why?" Gibbs demanded, taking the note. He looked at it then his son. "You were put in detention for outing someone?"

"No, I got put into in-school suspension because he announced during lunch that there was no way he'd be dating me. For no reason I might add. So I reassured him that even if I looked and I might drool at him in the spandex for the swim team, that he was only a fantasy and I'd never ask him out because I wouldn't put up with his hobbies. That I already knew it wouldn't work out." His father gaped then shook his head slowly. "He started it. One of the cheerleaders apparently decided to pick on him about our manly hirsute man on the football team being gay and wanting him too. Then she expanded it to me because I'm one of, like, ten gay kids in the school. So he outed himself during lunch. I compared him to one of those posters you put on the wall to drool at while you work yourself off."

"Enough!" he ordered, holding up a hand. "Just .... don't." He handed it back, then snatched it to sign it and handed it back. "Whatever. Just don't give me more bad thoughts, okay?"

"Sure, dad." He bounced on the balls of his feet a few times. "I don't really wanna bring this up now..."

"Then don't. It's probably a good idea since you have decent instincts."

"Yeah, but the Spring Break trip this year is signing up next week and it's going to be hotly contested. Real first come, first served sort." His father gave him an amused look. "It's still in the spring."

"No."

"Aruba?"

"No, definitely not."

"But, dad!"

"What did I tell you not to do on your last one?"

"Not to sleep with half of Ireland and I didn't," he reminded him, beaming proudly. "I slept with one of the chaperones." His father burst out laughing. "Well, I did!" he defended. "He was Irish but he wasn't native anymore and I was a good boy. I only had one pint at the pub when the teacher told us to. She said it's custom in most of Europe to start drinking wine with dinner and beer after a long day much younger than we do over here."

His father gave him that same amused look. "No."

"I'll pay."

"You're going to when I paddle you," he assured him.

"But, dad. It's *Aruba*! Nice and cute things in really skimpy bathing suits. Lots and lots of sun like I got in Sunnydale and beaches. I haven't seen a beach in a while!" He gave him his best begging face. "Still fully chaperoned. I won't sleep with the chaperone this time or drink." He turned up the power of the puppy eyes. "Please, dad?"

Kate walked in. "What did you do this time?"

"Spring break sign-up starts next week and it's Aruba."

Kate moaned. "Gibbs, he'd go insane down there and hop on anything that moved."

"I'm seventeen, Kate!" he defended. "Plus I do have *some* taste. Not like I'm going to go hit on the women. They might kill me." He looked at his dad. "Please? I'll pay for it and everything."

"No, son. We'll talk about one if you graduate but not this year. Not after the problem you caused in Ireland."

"That wasn't me," he defended. "That was Tiffy, I just defended Her Sluttiness's honor when the cop tried to charge her as a whore." His father looked confused. "Didn't mean that?"

"No.... When did this happen?"

"Second night there. She kinda, um, got plenty drunk and made about three hundred bucks at the pub that night." His father looked amused again. "I told the cops that it wasn't like her. I was retrieving her for the school trip. I was even nice enough to get the chaperone. Which was how I kinda fell into bed with him for a few nights. He liked my backrubs too, dad." He grinned again. "Anyway, she wasn't arrested, we went on with our tour, and she behaved the rest of the time under penalty of me drowning her one night in her tub. Please can't I go to Aruba?"

"I said no. We'll talk about you going on a graduation excursion if you live that long. If you whine any more, I'm taking the car," he said firmly when Xander opened his mouth to beg some more.

"Then you'd have to drive me to class and get me there on time, dad. Which never seems to happen when you have to drive me."

"You could walk."

"No I can't. It's thirty miles to school from the house. I'm good, dad, but not even you can do that."

"Point," he sighed. "No, you may not go to Aruba. Your class does a senior trip before graduation and we'll see about that one."

"Yes, dad," he sighed, giving him the sad puppy look. The one dogs gave the people at the pound right before they shut the gas chamber door. His father glared. He gave him a slight grin. "I have a new teacher again this year but she ran off already."

"Why?" Kate asked patiently.

"Because she was taking over the martial arts club and the other teacher kicked her ass in practice," he said dryly. "She sulked all the way back to Langley. Oh, I heard from the boss again. He wants me back this summer as long as I've learned to control some emotional stuff so I don't leak more accidental magic."

"We'll see."

"It's paid."

"Yes, and last time they nearly got destroyed for sending you to Rome while it was spook city," he reminded him, staring him down. "Unless you want to go that way?"

"Eww! Hell no!" He shuddered. "That's just sickening." He frowned at him. "Meany! I should lock the dog in your room the next time he's stuck in the house all day." He walked over to the spare desk and sat down, pulling out his school books. "Speaking of, the electric's off at home." He pulled out his computer and turned it on, then groaned. "Damn it."

"What?" Gibbs asked patiently.

"My laptop's got that loose wire again."

"See if Abby can help you fix it," he said patiently. "If she's not busy."

"Yes, dad." He took it down there, finding Tony and McGee bugging her. "Abby, how do I fix the loose wire that's under my power button on my laptop?"

"I can show you how to do that," McGee promised, smiling at him. "How was your first day?"

"In-school suspension tomorrow because one of the quarterbacks announced during lunch that he'd never date me, even though I hadn't asked. I pointed out he wasn't my type even if he was like one of those posters you drooled on." He handed over his laptop. Then he got the tools Abby used when she took his father's PDA apart. "Okay, show me. It's more useful than physics at the moment."

"You're taking Physics?" Tony asked. "Why?"

"Physics, Calc one, sociology, history, and English Women's nastiness lit." He grimaced. "Plus naked people art."

Tony grinned at that. "You'll like naked people art. I had a lot of fun with nude figure drawings."

"They won't let us draw them. We're drawing apples and we're studying the many ways the human body has been used in art." He shrugged. "Calc one is really hard!" he complained. McGee nodded. "Help?"

"If and when I can," he promised, patting him on the back.

"Or you might do some tutoring," Tony offered. "Exchange favors?"

"No, because the last one I tutored dad thought I was sleeping with." He grimaced. "I have better taste than that too. Oooh, spring break is Aruba," he said, pouting at Tony. "Dad said I can't go."

"Your senior class is going on a trip to Cancun," he shot back, smirking at the bright and suddenly happy boy. "Not much different. Cancun's in Mexico. Aruba's an island." He came over to help them. "We're doing what?"

"Learning basic electronics. I'll teach him more as he passes Calc and we'll go over some deeper hacking stuff for Physics," McGee said, smiling at Xander, who shrugged and nodded, looking resigned. "You can do it. You're not dumb. Think of Math as a foreign language."

"I've mastered Latin and three demonic ones, McGee. Not even *they* speak math." He took out the screws and exposed the back of the laptop. "Now what?"

"Now, we find the loose wire," he said, carefully moving some out of his way. "That one's a bit worn." He went to get a new piece and the soldering iron. "Do we know how to use one of these?"

"Not yet," Xander noted. "But I'm guessing I'm learning." McGee smiled at him for that. "Sorry if you needed them, Abby."

"Not yet but after you're done, can you please run the ballistics for the two gold slugs? I'm busy doing a computer reboot and other stuff since I got hit with a virus."

"Sure." Xander got into it with McGee, listening to his careful instructions.

"What are we doing?" the director asked when he came in.

"Fixing my laptop so I can get something done," Xander said absently. "It's my reward if I learn Physics and Calc."

"Find the graphing calculator, you'll need it," Tony offered as he moved back to help Abby. "How did you get a virus?"

"I don't know but I'm going to stomp my foot here in a minute. Director, someone in Computer Services made my computer sick by forcing an update on my system."

"I'm sure you and McGee can fix it if computer services can't," he offered, smiling at her. "Does Gibbs know?"

"Not yet. He's being grumpy so I'm avoiding him."

"He's doing okay now," Xander offered. "I just got told I can't go to Aruba."

The director shook his head. "Are you going back this summer, Xander?"

"Ask Dad."

"Fine." He went to do that. "Gibbs, Abby's going to be late getting you results. Her computer has a virus and she's having to reload everything again." He groaned at that. "Is he going back this summer?" he asked more quietly. "They want him back and they're planning on what to teach him this summer. Probably more languages and more forensics."

"I'm still not happy with them after the sudden trip to Rome."

"I understand but it was good for the boy. Travel is very broadening and he has a good eye at spotting them."

"I don't care if they like it or not. I don't like it."

"Fine, I'll put him down as a you'll tell us by the holidays?"

"Did they want him then too?"

"No, I think they wanted to coopt Ducky about something going on where he used to work and wanted him to watch his mother."

"He's scarily good with her," Gibbs said dryly. "Tom, she's very scary over him. She nearly stabbed Ducky for trying to take Xander away from her the last time."

"The boy does grow on one," he agreed happily. "Just look at what we've had here." Gibbs snorted at that and shook his head. "So, it's possible?"

"Only if they don't send him out of the country without my authorization again."

"He'll be eighteen by then."

"So?"

"Point. By the way, they do know he won't ever be one of them. They're making him the prototype for agent training later on. They're using him to test the training methods. So, marital arts, languages, anything else you'd like him to learn?"

"Let him take more computers. He's good with the weapons and the bombs."

"True. Oh, let him know he passed his pop quiz the other day, all right? Even though they said he should flunk for sending it back to them, he didn't." He walked off, happier than before.

He called down to the lab. "Put me on speaker. What pop quiz, son?" His son told him all about the bomb he had found in the house and how he had disarmed it, then rearranged it and sent it back to his trainer. "Why?" he asked patiently. He nodded once. "And the fact it could've exploded if you were late? Oh, radio trigger to start the timer. No, son, I won't hurt him. I promise I won't hurt him." He hung up. "Much." He grabbed his things and headed out to talk to his son's weapons trainer. It was time someone in Langley got reminded whose son Xander was.

***

Xander came in from his first semester tired and sore. He looked at Ducky then at his helper. "I'm not going to your house tonight to help you decorate. I'm pitiful."

"Why are you pitiful, Xander?" He sat him down to look him over. The boy even looked ill. "Are you sick?"

"Tired. My finals today were my two hard ones. I haven't slept in two days."

"Go use the couch in my office, lad. I'll make sure Jethro knows you're down here." Xander nodded and went in there to nap. Ducky smiled and called him. "Jethro, your son is here and sleeping. No, he's exhausted. Said he hadn't slept in two days due to finals. He's on my couch. Come down a bit later. Of course." He looked over as the body was rolled in. "Ah, here we are. Come down for results in a little while." He hung up and moved to unzip the body and look it over. "Hmm. Very good condition. Thank you, gentlemen." He signed off, accepting custody. The agents left and he rolled the body over to a clear table, hefting him onto it with his assistant's help. "There. We'll start the checklist after he's had a bit of time to adjust to the room. Let me go scrub up." He headed to do that.

At least until the body raised off the table. "Doctor!" his assistant squeaked.

"Do shut up," the cultured voice ordered. "Now." He swung around and glared at the doctor, pulling a gun. "You as well. Over here with us. Who else is on this floor?"

"Abigail in the lab. But she shouldn't have to come in anytime soon," Ducky defended, closing his office door. "That way I can't reach the phone or the emergency button."

"Thank you. Now, come over here." They both moved where he told them. "I am at NCIS, yes?"

"Yes, you are," the assistant said. "Why did you come after Doctor Mallard?"

"I didn't. I came after someone else." He hopped off the table, hearing a noise from the office. "Who is that?"

"He's a young boy," Ducky said firmly, moving to block him. "He's asleep and he sleeps like the dead. You have no need to wake him."

"I do if he's a threat."

"He's no threat to you," he said firmly.

"We'll see. If not, perhaps he can go back to his nap." He went to look but Ducky got in his way again. "Do that again, Ducky, watch me shoot someone." He walked around him, opening the door. He was also promptly brained by something hard and solid. "No threat?" he taunted.

"No, I'm fucking tired. I had a calc and a physics final this morning. You're pissing me off by not letting me nap," Xander said, standing up and glaring at him. "By the way, you're already in deep shit. Now, back the fuck off."

"Outside with the others," he said, looking amused. Xander gave him a look. "I can and will end your promising career."

"I doubt that. The hounds of hell couldn't, what makes you think you can?"

"I have a gun. They only have fangs and claws."

"Technically, it's their drool that's acidic but also paralytic." He gave him a look. "Not happenin'." He heard the alarm start. "See?"

"Out there," he said, cocking the gun and putting it into his face. "Now." Xander snorted but pushed the gun aside. "You're brave."

"I've nearly died many times. You're a pussy compared to some of the things I used to fight. But I can guarantee you if you hurt Ducky or his assistant, you're going to die."

"Then I would go protect them. That's the only way you'll make sure of it." Xander walked out there. "Weapons, now."

"Not like I can carry to school, stupid."

"Now," he growled.

Xander gave him a look. "Again, I just came from school. We have metal detectors over here. I can't even carry in a pocket knife. Unless you count my car keys?" He held them up but snatched them back. "No way in hell you're taking my car either."

"You're a smart ass."

"With a lot of training."

"Really? I have training from Mossad. Where's yours from?"

"Sunnydale and the CIA." The man looked impressed. "That's why you won't be killing me."

"You'll find experience will win over mere training."

"And you'll find I'm an end-game fighter. I've fucking well saved the world in Sunnydale. You're a pussy. A wannabe that even some vamps are worse than. By the way, brush your teeth, man. It's disgusting." He laughed at that. "Yay." He looked at Ducky. "You okay?"

"We're fine. Calm down."

"Fuck calm. I've been up for two days." He snorted and looked at their captor again. "Name?"

"Ari."

"Ah. I've heard about you. Traitor." The man growled and pulled the gun up again. "I heard that a few times."

"I am no traitor."

"Bullshit."

"How would you know?"

"Ya know, if I was telepathic, I'd show you," he said dryly. The man went back to amused. Guards came in and he pointed the gun at them and Xander lashed out, getting him in the side like he had been taught. Then he went back to 'doing it to the vamps' like usual. The man fought, eventually losing his gun. He did get in one lucky shot, knocking Xander down, but Xander tripped him before he could reach for his gun.

"Freeze!" Gibbs ordered. "Xander?" Xander popped up and went to check on the others. "Ari Haswari," he said grimly. "Welcome to NCISs. Arrest him." The guards moved closer. Ari knocked one out and shot the other one, then pointed the gun at Ducky and his assistant. "I wouldn't."

"I will and you know I will, Gibbs. This isn't over." He shot Ducky's assistant and then at Gibbs, getting him in the shoulder before he fled.

"Dad!" Xander yelled. "Ducky, go get him! I've got this one." That got a nod. "Stitching kits?"

"You can't."

"I can so! Where?" Ducky pointed and he went to get some, bringing them back along with the phone. "This is the morgue. We've got two gunshot victims. Gibbs and Ducky's assistant. Now. Yes, right now, mother fucker!" He hung up and tossed it aside, going to do some field patching. "Come on. I've done this before," he soothed, working around the spilling blood. He got the spot secured enough to slow the bleeding then put pressure. "Sorry, it nicked a nerve and it's not going to be happy making for a few weeks but that'll keep you from bleeding to death," he explained. The guy under him was pale and shaky. "Hey, focus!" he snapped. "Stay awake. I don't know what you're allergic to. Focus on me. I'm pretty and cute. More than good enough to stare at." The man let out a small laugh then winced. "I know. Just calm down and hang on. I can hear running people." More guards came in. "Paramedics, now!" he shouted. A few went to hurry them up. "I've got him, help Lord Cranky over there." That got another laugh from under his hands. "He will be. You know how cranky dad gets when he's in the hospital. The only thing that makes him more cranky is when Tony's in there or I am." That got a nod from Ducky and his father saying something, making Ducky laugh. "Tell him I'm fine."

"He was sure you were. You were babbling, Xander. He said he'd yell later."

"Yay me." Abby ran in. "Back!" She backed off and let the paramedics in. "Thank you! I had to put in a few retaining stitches to stop the bleeding. It hit a nerve too." He let them see what he had done, getting a nod. He got up and walked over to look at his father. "You gonna live? I can follow to make sure you get home tonight."

"I'll be there anyway, Xander. You go home and rest."

"Uh-huh." He watched as they were drug out, helping Ducky up to his feet. "You'll take care of dad?" Ducky nodded. "Good. I've got to report this." He went to clean his hands, staring at the blood for a moment before doing that. Then he went to call his trainers. "It's Xander. Ari Haswari just broke into Ducky's morgue. Shot dad in the shoulder. Shot Ducky's assistant Gerald. No, I helped." He sighed. "You guys know I'm not going to go to Langley for good. Right?" He smiled at that assurance. "Then why keep trying to train me?" He listened to the reasons and nodded. "Fine. With that assurance. No, I don't want to do special assignments unless it's for dad. You clear them through him. Yeah, and he's my higher power." He nodded. "Agreed. I'll come back this summer but I want everything on this guy for Dad. Because he shot my father and I saw into his eyes. This is a game for him. His eyes looked *exactly* like Patrick's when he was in the interrogation lessons." He nodded once. "Decent enough. I'm here, I can head to the hospital. Thank you." He hung up and walked out, finding the director and Abby in there. "I had to call Herbert. He's not happy." The director gave him a look. "Tell them I want to take more field medicine stuff this summer please." He walked off, going to drive to the hospital. "I'm heading out, who's going with me?" he announced when he made it up to the main floor.

"He'd want us to work on this," McGee offered.

"I called my trainer," he assured him. Tony looked at him. "I'm heading now. One of you can come monitor things. Give updates." That got a nod and Tony pulled out his gun to do that. Xander headed for the car, finding Abby beside it. "Sure, you can go too." He unlocked it and let her in. "Don't worry, that white spot is chalk, not sperm." She giggled at that and sniffled. Tony got in to let her cry on him and they rode off together, letting Xander handle the mundane. He got there and nodded at his fellow student. "Beth."

"Xander." She kissed his cheek. Then she held up a data device. "This is for you." He took it with a nod. "What did you want to learn next summer?"

"Field medicine. I foresee it coming in handy." He shrugged. "More electronics? McGee could only go over the basics with me. More computer stuff?" She nodded. "That should be a pretty full summer then I'll intern like last time. Without the trip to Rome." She nodded and left. He walked in, putting the information file into his pocket, following Tony. "I'll have it for you tonight," he said quietly. Tony looked at him and nodded. He pulled him away. "I was staring into his eyes. For him this is a game. He's not a direct sort."

"He'll come after those around us?"

Xander nodded. "He already has."

"Point. How were your finals?" Xander grimaced. "That bad?"

"Maybe." He walked up to the desk since Ducky was arguing with the nurse. "Where is my father and when can I see him; this is his personal physician and if you block his access I will sue this place so far under hell's corridors you'll think you found snow." She looked horrified. "Now, woman!" She ran off, going to get someone for them. He looked at Ducky. "I hate women."

"I know you do, Xander. There's very good reasons for you to dislike the fairer sex. In this case, try not to damage the nurses. Or the doctors."

"I'm going to let them do their jobs but I will stay informed. That is my father." Ducky nodded. The nurse came jogging back with another one. "Well?"

"Who are you?"

"Alexander Lavelle Harris-Gibbs. Son of Leroy Jethro Gibbs. He got brought in with a shoulder wound from NCIS?"

"He's stable. We're prepping him for surgery so we can get the bullet out."

"Good. This is Doctor Mallard, his personal physician. Yes, we know he's an ME. We're goth that way," he said at her amused look. "He does it for the office."

"That's fine. We'll brief him so he can brief the others. For now, you can move up to the surgical waiting room. The other was already taken up there. Your father will be going up in a few minutes." Xander nodded. "Does anyone need to talk to him before then?"

Xander nodded. "I should. Just in case." He looked at Tony, getting a nod. So he steeled himself and headed that way, looking at his father. "That's worse than the last time, dad." His dad motioned him closer then smacked him on the head. "What?"

"Do not help."

"Tough shit. He's just like Patrick," he said more quietly. "If he wants one of the team, he'll go against those around it. He's going to try to make it hurt first and then take whoever out. I'm getting information from my trainers for Tony." He smoothed back his hair when he got a nod. "I'm also bringing his profile into the school along with my gun. By the way, I had to promise to go back next summer but I'm taking field medicine and more electronics."

Gibbs sighed. "If you must."

"Price of the information, dad."

"Fine." He gave him a small smirk. "You're carrying your gun?"

"If he's coming after the team, they're all like relatives to me. I'm the softer target in guys' like that's eyes. Besides, I kept him from shooting them by mouthing off." He yawned. "I'm about to crash too. My gun's in the car. I'm bringing it. I'll get Tony to write the note."

"Get the director. He likes you for some reason."

"He thinks I'm just as tough as you but with better fashion sense."

"Not in that kilt you wore, son." Xander smiled at that. The nurse came in. "Surgery?"

"Yuppers," Xander assured him. "Gerald's already in. I've told them to update Ducky. I may be asleep when you get out but I'll be here."

"Thanks." He let himself be moved. "Come on. You can go with me. I'm a tough old Marine. This won't knock me down for long."

"Good. It had better not." He walked up beside him, Tony and the others crowding into the same elevator. He looked at Tony. "I need a letter from you or the director authorizing me to use and carry my weapon due to a significant threat to my family."

Tony nodded. "Consider it typed as soon as I get back. Where's the information?" Xander handed over the data carrier, getting a smile. "I'll download it to McGee immediately and have him give you a headshot and profile on him."

"Thank you." He hugged him and they got off, leaving him at the 'personnel only' doors. A nurse came and walked them to the waiting room Ducky was already in. He settled down between him and Tony, resting his head on Tony's shoulder. "I've been up for two days. I hate science. Am I sure I wanna do your job?"

"Abby does the real science. We do the minor stuff," Tony reminded him. "All you have to do is pass."

"I think I did." He yawned. "I'll know in a week." He closed his eyes. "Wake me when there's information."

"Sure, kiddo." Xander drifted off and Tony took Abby's PDA, uploading the information to McGee. He typed in the stuff that Xander needed, getting a simple 'okay' back. Then he sat back to wait. Kate came in a while later with a folder. "His?"

"Profile. He's right, this is a game to him." She handed over an envelope to Ducky. "For him. Permission, a profile with headshot of him." She handed the other one to Tony. "That's what we know and what we've found, Tony."

He read through it. "He trained where?"

"Mossad," Xander said tiredly. "He said experience would always beat training. Too bad he got in a lucky shot. I went down and tripped him, that's when Dad came in."

"He was frightfully good," Ducky admitted. "And I do mean that literally, Xander. It was fairly scary."

"Ducky, no one takes out my family," he said, giving him a one-eyed look. He closed his eye again. "Any new news on either one?"

"Shouldn't be too much longer. Go back to sleep, Xander." Xander nodded and relaxed back into his nap again.

"Why is he so tired?" Kate asked.

"Finals week. He had physics and calc finals today," Tony told her. She shuddered. "He only has to pass, Kate. He knows that." He got back to work, finding what he wanted. He took the highlighter from Abby's purse and started making notes. "Focus here." He handed those sheets over. She nodded and went to call McGee to get his help and get him started. He handed something to Abby. "When we get back, do his bullets, just for the chain of evidence." She nodded at that. "Also, find out how he got in as a dead body."

"Yes, Tony." She looked over as a nurse looked their way. "Anything?" she mouthed. She got a nod. "We've got information." They all stood up, leaving Xander napping there. Tony smirked at him and shrugged. "We'll tell him in a few."

"I'll stay," Kate promised. She sat back down, watching Xander sleep in a position normally only cats achieved.

***

Xander walked into the school the next morning, showing the guard his letter. "I'm heading right to the headmistress. Escort me?" That got a nod and they scanned everything else before taking him that way. He walked in with only a tap. "My father was nearly shot," he announced. She gave him a horrified look then she saw the gun, standing up. "This is a letter from the Director of NCIS. Personally. It authorizes me to carry my weapon, and lists my proficiencies. This is the person after my family. He's a mind-fucker and he's going to come after soft targets first." He handed that over. Then he went to parade rest. "I won't use it on the jocks, but I'll be damned if he can't get into here."

"How did he shoot your father, Xander? Is he all right?"

"Shoulder wound. He was using it to escape. He was brought in as a dead body. So he's more than crafty enough to get in here."

She nodded slowly, reading it over. "Very well. Your locker?"

"To far away if he comes here. To guys like him, collateral damage is for escapes and to cause chaos and make him happy."

"Can you hide it better?"

"I can. I can actually wear my jacket until this is done with."

"Thank you." He pulled it out and put it on. "That still shows."

"I can wear a side-clip." He took off the shoulder harness and jacket, putting it on his belt instead and the harness into his backpack. She nodded that it was fine. "You'll let the others know before I'm arrested by some well-meaning teacher?"

"I will. Your self-defense...."

"My next stop. He managed a lucky shot. I need practice. It's safer if I do that here. Dad worries."

"I can see why." She smiled timidly. "You know you have a study day since you don't have a final today."

"I do. I'm happy with it and my next ones are easier. I'm going to be with the martial arts club chair all day if possible." She nodded. "With your permission, ma'am?"

"You have it, Xander," the headmistress assured him. "I hope you don't need it."

"I hope so too but there's only so many soft targets around the team. I'm the only child. Ducky's mom. His assistant was shot when dad was." He walked out, heading down there. He had gotten into Tony's system earlier this morning and gone over the profile until he had it memorized. He walked past a few of the teaches, nodding at them. "She knows. It's got a reason and I have permission. Ask the headmistress," he told another one. He walked into the history classroom, tapping quietly on the office door. "Sir."

"Xander." He looked him over. "What happened?"

"A bastard named Ari who likes soft targets," he said quietly. "He got in a lucky shot. I need work and practice."

"Agreed. I've got two finals but I've got this afternoon clear."

"Whenever. I'm clear all day."

"Good." That got a smile. "Go."

Xander nodded and headed for his locker to drop his bookbag and get what he needed for home room and then the library. He liked the library here, it was warm, inviting, and it smelled better than the one in Sunnydale. Though it was still weird not seeing weapons in the book cage. He found a corner table that gave him a view of outside and went over his notes for his next final, letting his mind work over the problem of Ari and the fight yesterday. Somewhere he had made a mistake. He had to quit doing that.

***

Xander walked into the house late that night, finding his father home. "Need me to cook?"

"I ordered." He looked his son over. "You gave her the letter?"

"I did." He gave him a gentle hug. "It'll be okay. If he comes for me I'll react. If not I won't," he assured him.

"Good. No jumping in."

"Unless it's necessary," he agreed quietly. Gibbs relaxed and nodded. "What can I do to help?"

"Do some laundry? We're out of towels."

"Sure." He went to drop his things in his room, including the gun, and came down to do that. His father gave him a long stare. "I figure we're pretty safe here and I know where your revolver is."

"Point. Thank you for knowing you're safe."

"I'm secure in that knowledge," he assured him, grinning some. "I spent all afternoon and until an hour ago with the martial arts club mentor. He was going over my fighting."

"You didn't look bad, kid. You looked okay. It was a lucky shot."

"Lucky shots still lead to deaths, dad. Luck shouldn't have anything to do in a fair fight." He went to load the wash and start it. He turned and found his father behind him. "You're quiet today."

"I'm thinking." He gave him a one-armed hug, the other being in the sling. "It wasn't a fair fight," he said quietly. "You were exhausted. He was fresh and possibly hyped on something. No way was that fair, Xander." He let him go. "Trust me to protect you too."

"You have to worry about the others. Let me worry about me."

"You're my son. They're only my team."

"Yeah, but I spent a damn long time looking out for myself, dad. I can do it this time too. I have permission to carry it to school until he's captured."

"Agreed. Your school is too easy to get into." Xander relaxed at that. It was minute but he noticed it. "Go eat."

"I grabbed a burger on the way home."

"Go eat anyway. Then tell me how the finals yesterday went." He headed back to the living room.

Xander let his dog in and grabbed a plate to pile with food, and a bowl for his father. Then he brought them out to sit next to him on the couch. "I may not pass history with as high as usual," he offered quietly. "I know it but I didn't get much studying in. I did study my ass off for physics because I'm still confused. I can recite it by rote. I don't know what I'm saying though." Gibbs nodded at that. "The same with calc."

"That's fine. We don't do much with either field and what we do use you'll learn on the job. There's probably machines to compensate for that weakness." Xander relaxed at that and dug in. "What's next semester?"

"If I pass physics, it's college level advanced chem. If I pass calc, I'm not going on." His father laughed at that. "Seriously. I'm taking Advanced Latin, which is college worthy. I'm taking the last of the Englishes I have to take. I'll take my other humanities mandatory, probably psych. It's a good thing to have for interrogations. It was suggested. Then I'll find an elective. I'm not going over twelve if I don't have to."

"Good. I like that. Your last semester should be a coast to the cap and gown. When do you have to order those?"

"Last week and I already did. Plus invitations on the off-chance that I do make it to graduation." He ate a bite. "I talked to Willow. She said the stuff out there is looking really serious. She's sent me stuff to translate for them."

"I don't want you going, Xander."

"Dad, they'll need me. From what I've seen, they've only got a few points they can stop this thing at and it's a powerful creature this time. Remember the mayor?" He groaned but nodded. "It's him. If they can't stop him in the next month, they're screwed until whenever the date of the ascension will be."

"What's an ascension?"

"Little demon turning into a bigger one."

"Oh." He ate a bite and thought. "What sort of help are we talking?"

"I'm not sure yet. This is pre-warning you that I may have to take a sudden trip back there to help them. His next step is to become invincible until he changes. If they can't stop that, then they're screwed."

"How? Can normal people do this?"

"Eat poisonous spiders as part of a magical ritual? Maybe but it's not my cuisine of choice."

"Never mind." He ate another bite of dinner, mentally cheering himself on for ordering stuff without noodles. "We'll see," he said finally. "It may not be necessary. There may be another way strategically."

"Or there may not be," Xander reminded him. "Giles doesn't think strategy. I do, you do. I do even more now because you make me. I'm thinking it might be a true battle situation to stop this."

"If so, we'll work on the plans together, son."

"Yes, dad," he sighed, looking down. Gibbs tipped his face up. "They may still need me. Not like most of the students are aware or dealing with it. They've got Faith and that's about useless at the moment."

"We'll see," he reminded him. Xander nodded, digging in again. Gibbs smiled. "What are you learning this summer?"

"Field medicine. I'm foreseeing some sort of need for it."

"Maybe," he agreed. He nudged him and gave him a small smile. "You did good on Gerald's injury. The docs said so. One told Ducky it kept him from bleeding out."

"Thank you." He smiled. "What's my reward from you if I do the impossible and pass the horrendous math and the theory shit that gives me nightmares?"

"What did you want?"

"The Cancun trip."

His father looked at him. "I said it was more likely."

"You're gonna hate it."

"Why?"

"Only four chaperones." He ate a bite and swallowed quickly at the unamused look. "I guess they figure we're mostly adults at that point so we shouldn't need one."

"Then maybe we'll take a family vacation and go together after you graduate."

"Um, dad, Cancun is one of those party cities. It's one of those places they show on MTV for spring break. It's where half the college students in America are going on their spring break."

"So there'll be drinking and a lot of drugs?" he guessed.

"That and the information packet did come with a warning that there have been some rapes noted in the area. Then again, I'm a guy so they wouldn't normally come after me and I'm not exactly the target they'd usually pick anyway. No one thinks I'm weak and helpless looking or look like a victim most of the time. Even the muggers usually leave me alone." He hiccuped and ate a bite of food. "I know it's not ideal, but Aruba's long since sold out."

"Then maybe we'll go somewhere else together."

"Oh, come on, dad! It's every young guy's dream."

His father gave him a look. "It sounds more like it's for straight guys like Tony who like the party girls."

"I was assured there were things down there I could enjoy too." He gave him an impish grin. "Or maybe I'll try being het again for a few days." He hiccuped again.

Jethro gave him a look. "Son, I don't want to fly to Mexico to identify your charred remains because you decided to sleep with a woman again." He gave his head's son a gentle shove. "Even DiNozzo won't touch the women you do. That says something, son."

"Yeah, well...." He shrugged and blushed a bit, giving him a sideways grin. "At least you know who the dangerous women are."

"I do. Anything else we should discuss?"

"Scuttlebutt I heard said that Morrow might be moving departments."

"Interesting. To?"

"Homeland." He finished his plate and plucked some of his father's out to nibble on. "I heard he got offered; I haven't heard he's taken it up yet."

"It would do his career good," Gibbs agreed. "Still a sucky move. Who'd they get? Not me, right?"

"No, I haven't even heard rumors. It's a political appointment."

"Oh, yay," he said flatly. "Thank you for the warning, son." He gave him another one armed hug and let him have the rest of his snack. "So what did you want for the reward this time?"

"Cancun." He gave him puppy eyes. "Please?"

"We'll see. If not?"

"I don't know. I've spent so much time trying not to tank my grades this semester I haven't even had time to think, much less get regular sleep. I could use the vacation."

"Then we'll see if we can find you one, son." He patted him on the back, letting him rest against him. "Why don't you nap so you won't flunk your history exam tomorrow." Xander sighed but went up to his room. Gibbs considered it then called Tony. "What are the main problems with Cancun? He said I might not like it." He listened to him go on and on about how great Cancun was and why. "My son doesn't need bikinis, DiNozzo. What else?" He heard the laugh and got the other side of Cancun explained to him. "He said there's only four chaperones going." He smirked at that. "Again, not really his reason for going. Slutty girls are nice but not my son's thing." Tony laughed again and said something else. "That's more his speed. Though I'm not sure I like the idea of orgies." He sighed. "My son's only seventeen, DiNozzo." His second-in-command gave him a lot of information he had been ignoring. "Point. Think he can wear his kilt down there?" Tony's shocked silence and then hysterical laugh made him smile. "No, we're home. Thank you." He hung up and looked up the stairs. His son needed something better than a sexhole like that. Even though he did understand the allure of them. He had visited a few places like that when he was on active duty.

***

Xander trudged in and glared at his father. "I hate you."

"Why?"

"Because the headmistress said I have to send in the college applications this week."

"Why?"

"Because they're due next week. Weren't you supposed to remind me of this stuff?"

"You're going local."

"Why?" Xander asked.

"So you can't get into any more trouble," McGee reminded him. "That way we can pop around and do inspections of your dorm room and things."

"Am I living in the dorm?" Xander asked his father.

"That we'll talk about. It's an important step in college but I'd rather have you at home."

"Four more years of me, dad. Or possibly five."

"I can handle it."

"That's wonderful. Oh." He pulled out a picture and handed it over. "Do we know her?"

Gibbs looked then shook his head. He could see what his son did, the girl looked almost exactly like him. Like both of them really. "Not a clue," he admitted, handing it back. "Want to do a background on her?" He handed one over. "Where did you find her?"

"The mall. So we chatted and I took a picture with my camera phone, told her it'd pop up when she called me. She thought it was cute." He shrugged. "Know her mother, dad?"

He looked then nodded. "I do but I never slept with her. I know both her parents casually through my Reserve unit." He shrugged. "Not a clue, son. One of those mysteries of life."

"As long as you're sure." He put the picture and paper back into his backpack. "Where was I applying?"

"Georgetown," Tony reminded him. "American. One of the Virginia state schools that's got a branch here." He printed off something and handed it over. "Here." Xander smiled as he took it. "Least I could do, mini-Gibbs." He got back to work. "Anything on your side about Ari?"

"Yes. There's someone coming to talk to us from his former people." He looked at his father. "There's someone from Mossad coming, dad."

"Interesting. When?"

"Within a week."

"We know who yet?"

"Nope. No clue yet. Lower level but with contacts was what Beth said."

"Which one was Beth?"

"The honey-blonde who hit on you and said you'd make a good leather daddy."

"Oh, her." Kate snickered at that. "He trains with her, Agent Todd."

"That explains it all," she agreed. "Gonna wear the kilt again?"

He smirked at her, a very evil smirk. "Why, Kate? Are you still dreaming about me wearing one and peeking to see if I wore it properly?" He walked over to look at her. "Or did you want to pet the bag?" She blushed and he smirked. "I can tell you I wore it traditionally that day and any time since then that I've worn it." She blushed brighter. "Any other fantasies you've got? You know you can share them." She slapped at him and stomped off. "It's not my fault you want me even though I'm gay." His father gave him a look and he went to sit at his usual desk and get to work on his homework. "Oh, I'm skipping Monday."

"Why?"

"It's an award ceremony and I'm skipping it."

Tony laughed. "Should I go pick his up for him too, boss?" he teased.

Xander looked over at him. "Considering half my school wants in your BVD's? Go right ahead, make their year." Tony blushed at that. "Hell, half the SCA wants to bring you to our next event so you can wear the tights." He smirked and got back to work. "Oh, schedules are out. Advanced Chem and Advanced Latin, art elective so I can stare at more naked men, homosexual art this time, and Science Fiction Lit are what I signed up for."

"That means report cards are out," Gibbs said knowingly. "Give. Now, son." Xander pulled it out and flung it frisbee-style at him. He caught it by leaning over and opened it. "You didn't want to know?"

"That I failed Calc and have to retake it? Or physics? Hell no!"

Gibbs opened it and read it over slowly. A in Calc One, B in Physics. C in History. A in English Feminist Lit. A in Art. He looked at the marks then nodded. "I still don't like Cancun." Xander gave him an awed look. "You're right, your exhaustion did affect your history score."

"I knew I flunked it. I fell asleep during it." He got up to look. Then he did the snoopy dance there. "I passed!" he shouted. "I passed, I never have to take calculus again!"

McGee laughed and snatched them, nodding. "Good job. Here, Tony." He handed them over.

Tony looked then smiled. "Good job, Xander." Xander preened under that praise. They all knew the kid had a crush on him and his opinion meant more than his father's now and then. "Should you retake the history?"

"Nope." He took it back and blew a kiss. "I should fucking well pin this to the fridge."

"No swearing," Kate yelled.

"I passed Calc and Physics. With *good* grades." She came back out and snatched them so he gave her a 'bored now' look. She gaped. "I recited it by rote." She snorted and handed it back. "Oh, dad, SAT was when?"

"This weekend."

"Yay." He went to tell Ducky and Abby, getting squeals and hugs from Ducky and Abby tearing up and crying on him for being so good.


***

Gibbs came home and found his son staring at an envelope a few months later. "What's that?"

"Evil."

"Is it from Willow and them?" He looked at it. "SAT scores." He opened it with his keys and pulled them out, then gave his son a pat on the head. "Higher than Kate's, I'm impressed." Xander snatched them to read. Then he whooped and hugged him. "Thank you. What did I do to deserve that?"

"You're not making babies with She Who Barks and I can get into Georgetown or any of my choices." He beamed. "They said I only needed my scores. I looked good otherwise. I should be hearing 'please come to join us' soon from at least one school." He sat down and called Tony. "I got a 1569!" he bragged. "Yes, SAT scores. Tell your date then, Tony. Not like I care if you brag." He smiled. "Sure." He hung up. "Tony said we're having ice cream tomorrow to celebrate."

"If we must." He gave his son a tolerant smile. "Want to order or want me to cook? If you want real food, go empty the trunk while I shower." Xander shrugged and went to do that. Gibbs smirked and went to call the others. Once he was back in the kitchen he looked at his son. "Jen called?"

"Yup, she's back in town for some reason. She wanted to know if you were free for dinner. I told her you were really fucking expensive and she wasn't worthy to blow you since she had turned her buddies onto me." He got to work on some veggies. His father took them and put them up. "They still need washed."

"I was going to peel them and fry them for dinner tomorrow, Xander." He gave him a small glare. "Were you rude?"

"Yup. I like the training but they do stress you out and they keep trying to get me to do stupid shit."

"Such as?" he asked plainly.

"Oh, they wanted to know if I could go to Japan with them this holiday."

"No."

"Can I go to Rio? For Carnivale?"

His father wobbled on that. "Only if you're escorted."

"Can I ask Tony?"

"If you want. Though I'm sure he won't do anything more than watch over you."

"Yeah, but McGee would stare in bad ways at the semi-naked people and Kate would fuss and hand out literature on finding God."

"Point," he agreed. "You can ask Abby or Ducky, either one. I know I'll be busy that week. We've got trials all that week but not one I think DiNozzo was on."

"Really?"

"Really. Just be careful." Xander hugged him and squealed, going to email Tony. That way he wouldn't interrupt his date and get complained at again. He also emailed Abby and Ducky at the same time telling them that his father had wanted him escorted by some reasonable person, namely them by name. So to tell him so he could book rooms this week. Then he danced back to the kitchen. "I emailed them."

"Good. You'll have to book soon."

"I was planning on doing it this week."

"Good." He smiled at him. "Very good, son." He patted him on the cheek. "I'm proud." Xander preened at that. "Set the table and tell me if you want steak or chicken."

"Either's good as long as it's not Spam."

"No, not Spam." He decided on steaks and went to start the grill. He deserved the best for that.

***

Tony opened up his email and smiled. He looked over at Xander, who was in on a scheduled day off. "I'll go," he agreed quietly.

"Ducky said he couldn't but Abby wants to go too. Would that bother you?"

"Not in the least. Just don't lose me on purpose this time."

"Sure." He grinned. "I'll make reservations tonight. Dad said something about trials...."

"None for me that week so far," he said happily, watching the kid make the reservations. He got them emailed and nodded. "Not the best place but it'll do." He sent them to Abby, getting a happy squeal back. She had audio recorded it. "She's excited."

"She's seen Mardi Gras. This is the granddaddy of that one," Gibbs reminded him from his seat. "Do I get a copy?" His son sent them to him. "That works for me. It's not the best place but it's not a slum hostel either. You will behave for Tony, son."

"Yes, dad. I'll be good and I won't lose him on purpose like I did in Rome. I won't drink too much. Nothing like that."

"Thank you. Try not to sleep around too much either."

"Yes, dad." He looked over as the director came down the stairs with someone, coughing loudly. His father looked and sighed. "Director," he said, smiling and handing over his SAT scores. "For the records my trainers wanted you to keep."

He looked and nodded. "Very well done, Xander. I'm proud."

"Thank you, Director."

"You've done well. Where are you going?"

"I'm thinking Georgetown. I'm waiting to hear back."

"It's an excellent school. I do know tuition reimbursement was part of that deal if you went back for another summer of training during your schooling." Gibbs looked at him. "It is."

"We'll see."

"Just like Cancun," Xander quipped. His father smirked at that. "Please? It is the senior class trip."

"We'll see. Director, is there a problem?"

"I wanted to tell you this first since you're my alpha team. I'm leaving to go to Homeland. I believe some of you know my replacement?" He pointed at Jen Sheppard beside him.

"Jen," Gibbs said dryly. "You?" She nodded. "I had hopes it'd be my son but oh well." He looked at his computer again. "Guys, this is the new director."

"Gee, guess you won't be coming over for dinner anymore," Xander said. She gave him an evil look. "That violates the 'no sex and no dating in the workplace' rule, rule twelve I think it was." She gave him an even more evil look. "It does."

"It does," Gibbs agreed. "I believe in no fraternization for everyone but DiNozzo. He's dated too many for it to matter anymore."

"Gee, thanks, boss," he said dryly. "Director, when are you leaving? Should we plan a going away party?"

"No, that's not necessary. I'll be transferring over at the end of this month."

"Does that mean I should call her or you when things crop up like the bastard?" Xander asked as he typed something. He sent it to McGee. "Spelling mistakes, McGee. Tony, doing yours."

"You're doing what?" Jen demanded.

"Proofreading. They're too busy to do that and I'm off today. Therefore I'm being useful." He looked at her. "I think you've probably been told that I passed a background by now." He went back to typing into Tony's document. Tony never checked it but his father would. He finished up and sent it back, making Tony look over at him. "Just a few corrections."

"I remember the last one." He opened it and read through it, bursting out laughing. "No, you may not join the parade, Mini-Gibbs." He deleted that sentence and worked on it. "Thanks."

"Welcome. I thought Dad could use some levity." He looked at the director again. "You or her, sir?"

"Me, son. If it's something like that and you can't get your trainer, you call me."

"Yes, sir."

"Good boy." He patted him on the head. "Do we have copies of that?"

"That is your copy."

"Even better." He took it with him while he showed her around. "Xander's been quite a bonus to us, Jen. He's determined to join his father's team some year."

"So that's what you meant last night," Gibbs said quietly, looking at his son, who nodded. "You knew when?"

"Last night. Right before you got home. Pierre called to see what sort of field med I wanted to take, surgery or not. I said not. Just the basics and advanced 'in case we're stuck behind enemy lines and need a medic' ones." He shrugged. "Sorry, dad. They wanted you to be surprised. I hinted."

"You did hint," he agreed. "Never happen anyway, son." He got back to work. "Did you email those to Willow?"

"I did. She got two points off perfect."

"Of course she did. She's like McGeek there, a super brain," Tony said dryly. "You beat mine and Kate's. Nearly combined since hers was so low."

"My what?" Kate demanded.

"SAT score."

"I got 1038."

"Xander got a 1569," Tony said proudly.

"Good job," she praised. "What was yours, Tony?"

"Higher than yours," he said dryly.

"He got a 1400," Gibbs said while he typed. "Back to work. I want to find that bastard."

"He's not in the city," Xander said quietly. "They're making feints that he'll be back soon."

"Interesting. Can you tell your sources to tell me directly?" Gibbs asked.

Xander came over and typed in an address, getting him into the student's chat room. He even logged Gibbs in under his own name and typed in a question about Ari, telling them his dad needed to know. Plus bragging about his SAT score. He went back to proofing reports, sending one to Kate. "Just one spelling mistake and I put it in purple for you, Kate."

"Thank you." She found it and corrected it then sent it to Gibbs, looking clueless when he burst out laughing after reading it. "What? Did he miss one?"

"Um, yes," Gibbs said, smirking at her. "I didn't know you knew how to dance the Dance of the Seven Veils and had done it for the Prime Minister when we guarded him, Agent Todd." He sent it back and looked at his son. "You're bad."

"You needed some levity. Tony's falling down on jokes today."

"I had a good and soothing night," he said smugly.

"I can tell. Her lipstick's still behind your ear. You really should scrub those daily, Tony." He went to look and clean it off. Xander shook his head, giving his back a fond look, but he got back to work on the other reports. McGee's stare made him look over. "What?" he asked quietly.

"It doesn't bother you to see him date?"

"Nope. It's women and I'm fine with it. I may have a crush but I'm not paranoid, delusional, or that possessive until they're mine." He got back to work, sending one to his father. "Yours." He looked it over and got hit with a paper ball. "What?" he asked innocently. "You're the one who ended up shirtless. For a change." Kate blushed at that. "Did I mention you? Half the time it's Tony."

"I was in the middle of a fight and the guy ripped it."

"I put that in there."

"Uh-huh." He went back to reading it, looking at the chat room. He had gotten what he needed and had asked questions about his son, figuring he had opened up to them where he hadn't him.

"Hey, Dad, can I go to the Jimmy Buffet concert tonight?"

"Take someone with you, son."

"I'll go," McGee said happily. Xander smiled and nodded. "When?"

"Eight. Downtown. I've got tickets but Chris wouldn't go with me."

"Which one is he?" Kate asked.

"My lesbian buddy who helps me with my clothes."

"Oh. Never mind."

"She thinks you're cute," Xander offered. "Then again, she said if dad ever wanted to go femme, she'd take him. She thinks he's hotter than even that new trampy supermodel."

"Never happen, son. I'd never go femme for anyone."

"I know but if you do she wanted to be kept in mind."

"Sure. Is she the one you were chopping wood with?" He looked over and his son nodded. "She's pretty tough. She thinking about the service?"

"She is and she wanted to know if you'd talk to her about the Corps. Her dad's an Army guy and she's decided they're wimpier than the Marines." Gibbs smirked at that. "So she wanted at least a chat with you."

"Sure. Bring her over this weekend if we're off." Xander nodded, typing that to her, getting back a squeal from her then a cough and an apology for the girlish nature of the last email. He grinned and sent back a 'even I have those' making her laugh. Then he got back to work, sending another one to his father.

***
Part 2 by voracity
Gibbs looked around at his team, plus Ducky and Abby, later that night. "He needs a great graduation present. I have no idea what to get him. With his scores and how he's turned his GPA around, plus all the hard work he's put into this, he deserves something special."

Tony looked at the others. "I have an idea but it'd take all of us." They all shrugged. "Gibbs, have you seen your son riding around on Craig's dirt bike?"

"My son's been doing what?"

"Yeah." He took out his phone and accessed the video files, handing it over when it started to play. Gibbs smiled at that. "He pets it now and then too. Plus he helps him maintain it. Not saying that Craig wants to sell his or anything but..."

"We could find a good used one and fix it up," McGee agreed.

"They're not very safe," Abby complained.

"You don't ride a bike to be safe, Abby," Gibbs said, handing the phone back. "How long has that been going on?"

"Two months. I doubt he'd want to use it during the winter but it would be a wonderful present, boss."

"It would. Anything less expensive?" No one said anything. "Kate, Abby?"

"I'd suggest letting him travel," Kate offered. "You're already letting him go to Carnivale with Tony and Abby."

"He's still begging for Cancun," McGee reminded her.

"It's looking more like something he's idealized," Tony told him. "It's a lot of very het people getting together."

"Xander is bi," Abby reminded them all. "I've seen him flirt with some women recently and one nearly blew him on the dance floor." Gibbs coughed at that. "Seriously, Gibbs." She checked her watch. "McGee. Concert?" He nodded and finished his soda, heading off after he had paid his share of the check. "What's this senior trip like?"

"Four days of cruising and then two days and three nights in Cancun, then four days of cruising back," he admitted, sipping his beer. "Just like they do their Spring Break trips."

"That would be fun and only two days in Cancun would probably be safe enough," Tony offered. "He'll be on a ship full of other teenagers most likely."

"That's probably the safest way they could do it with minimal chaperones," Gibbs agreed, taking another drink. "I still don't like the idea of Cancun." He ate a bite of his slice of pizza. "Do we think the bike?"

"I think if he's into them he'll adore it," Kate agreed. "He might not be able to use it everyday or while he's in training but I'm betting it'll be his main vehicle on his days off." Gibbs nodded at that. "Either that or save it as a graduation from his undergrad present." She sipped her soda. "Tony?"

"Either is acceptable." He shrugged. "That still leaves us without anything for now."

"An official internship while he's not in training or in school?" Abby suggested. "With pay? It'll teach him more about the working world."

"He's pretty good at that already," Gibbs reminded her, giving her a small smile. She nodded that was true. "What about electronics?"

"A new laptop. He could use one," Tony agreed. "Badly. He's had to fix his twice this semester alone, Gibbs."

"That's one present I could get behind," Kate agreed. "As long as Tony didn't preload it with porn."

"Porn is an individual taste, Kate, not like I know what he likes that way." He looked at Gibbs again. "He got us two adjoining rooms in Rio. That way we can keep an eye on him."

"I saw. That's good of him. What I wanted him to do." He took another sip. "What about redoing all the electronics in his room? His stereo's pitiful."

"He's had it since Sunnydale," Abby pointed out. "It's one of the first things he's bought with his own money."

"Point. So a gift certificate to upgrade it?" Tony nodded at that. "What about the dorm stuff?"

"Not the first semester. He's already a bit wild," Tony said quietly. "Let him get used to the college life. I'm going to talk to him about rushing frats and how they might not like him as much as he thinks. But there's also service organizations and major-related organizations that he should join."

"Agreeable," Gibbs decided. "So, second year into the dorms?" They nodded at that. "Redoing his room's electronics?"

"Would be a good investment for him," Tony agreed. "A new laptop from the group and then a gift certificate to update the rest? I know he's got an older TV he got from a thrift shop. It needs an adaptor to do digital cable, which he'll want some day."

"I'll let you take me out where you go and show me what he'll want so I can gauge amount," Gibbs decided. "Abby, look at laptop specs with McGee?"

"Sure," she agreed, smiling at Kate. "You can help make the final decision."

"Works for me," she decided. She put down a twenty. "It's time I head home too, guys. Good night."

"Night, Kate," Tony said, smiling as she walked off. "Boss, are we going to have problems with the new director?"

"Not on my end. He's right, that violates rule twelve." Abby smiled at that. "They told him he could only hint so he hinted that I wouldn't be making babies with her."

"Maybe he wants a sibling," Tony suggested with a small shrug.

"It has been a while since you dated, Gibbs, and he hated her," Abby agreed.

"He did. He's still calling her She Who Barks," he complained. "Weren't you supposed to break him of that?"

"Trust me, boss, he calls her many more creative names in private where you can't hear and yell." Gibbs smirked a bit at that. "Some that made me blush."

"I'll have to get him the next time I catch him out doing stuff he shouldn't."

"Did he tell you take some antacids?" Abby asked. He nodded. "Then that's tonight. Which means McGee's going to come home drunk."

"Yeah," Tony sighed. "Probably on margaritas." Gibbs gave him a look. "Most of the time you've got a pretty straight-laced kid, boss. But now and then he is going to push. He's finding his boundaries."

"Be honest, he's waiting for him to smack him down for something," Abby said bitterly. "He's safe and secure that you want him but he doesn't know where the boundaries are so he's pushing."

"I gave him the very simple house rules."

"Which are great," Abby agreed. "But you've never had to punish him for something and he's looking for the point where his leash quits having room and yanks." Gibbs sighed at that. "The grounding after Rome stopped that problem, did you notice?"

"He's deathly afraid of upsetting you, Gibbs," Tony agreed quietly. "He didn't work his ass off so I wouldn't be disappointed in him."

"I get the point. I see it clearly. Where do I draw the line? Mine when I was his age was pretty harsh."

"You've got a good son, Gibbs," Abby reminded him, patting him on the hand. "He's probably going to come home drunk and giggly tonight, if not high. Jimmy Buffet? Yeah, there's gonna be some pot there."

"He's usually got more sense."

"Text him, boss."

Gibbs pulled out his phone and texted his son, reminding him he wasn't supposed to drink or get high, that those concerts were famous for it. He got back a smiley face. "I think it might be too late."

"Could be," Tony agreed, saluting him with his glass. "So have a talk with him tomorrow while he's got the hangover of doom."

"He doesn't get hangovers," Abby said. "Nor will this be his first time drunk, Tony."

"True. I've caught him having a beer before."

"Are we seeing an issue?" Gibbs asked.

"No," they said together.

"It's his hellish child moments," Tony told him. "He's usually at the club with someone he can trust. He never does it in front of me but I've caught him a few times out having fun with some friends. He stopped when he noticed I noticed him."

Abby nodded. "When we go to raves together, he does drink. Mostly wine. He refused to do liquor when I asked him if he wanted to try some the first time; he had a violent reaction to it."

"They were pretty much doing the whiskey bottle proud every night," Tony reminded her gently.

"Oh." She nodded. "That would do it. So if he brings McGee home drunk, punish him for that and for drinking. Set down the firmer house rules about that. What is and is not acceptable. I know he's not driving like that."

"No, he's not. He handed me his keys earlier," Tony admitted, tossing them to his boss. "It's parked at home. They went with Craig and Kyle tonight. Kyle's the Jimmy Buffet fan. Kyle's also the Pink Floyd fan. Kyle does do pot and the occasional hit of acid. I talked to Xander about that and he admitted he had tried it once and hated it."

"But he doesn't mind beers?"

"Not really," Tony offered. "He's got a definite limit for himself. If things get blurry and he starts to feel out of control, he said he stops. He called it 'unable to hunt' a few times." He sipped his drink. "Is he still hunting?"

"I don't know," Gibbs admitted. "I asked and he changed the subject."

Abby nodded. "Not actively but if he runs into something and it challenges him? Yeah. He had a bag of stuff in the trunk for such times. Oh, he's got the accidental magic thing handled. He can about call the bag from the car." Gibbs nodded once at that. "Not going any higher than that either. He said he didn't want to, he just wanted enough control not to magic the computers at Langley by accident the next time." Gibbs snorted and nodded at that as well. "He'll go the mildly buzzed stage but if he starts to feel too loose or too comfortable he stops immediately and tenses back up."

"He knows the top of that slide very well but he's only been down it once," Tony told her. "He ended up on my couch crying because he was a failure. We had a long talk that night about all that stuff while he was drunk and I recorded it. Then I handed it to him over breakfast with his juice and aspirin." He finished his beer and got another slice of pizza. "He's never going to go like his mother, Gibbs."

"Good. Why was he drinking that time?"

Tony's hand paused halfway to his mouth. "Henderson case, boss," he said finally then bit into the slice.

"Abuse case?" Tony nodded. "Why did he see that?"

"He helped McGee find a shelter for her." He looked at him. "He knew. He saw the older girl when we had her in there for killing her father and he knew. I think that's why he drank himself into a near stupor that night. I'm not sure how he made it to my place." He ate another bite.

"I am," Abby told him. "He called me and I wasn't home. He slurred that he didn't want to go home that night and face his dad."

"He could have. We would've talked."

"Yeah, but you're almost mythical to him still, Gibbs," she pointed out. "You're an adult who's related to him. You're an adult who gives a damn and you're related to him."

"He's deathly afraid of disappointing you, that's half the reason for the training and the hiding things he does," Tony agreed quietly. He put down his slice of pizza, wiping off his mouth. "Kate may never see it. Yeah, he's like her stepkid at times. She feels she's got yelling and praising privileges. Abby's taken him out like her little brother. I've taken him out like mine. That's the reason he's worked his ass off in school. So you wouldn't be disappointed in him."

"I'm not. All I wanted was him to try his best and he did."

"Then reassure of him of that while he's got the hangover tomorrow, Gibbs," Abby said fondly. "Also, have we noticed something about the boy's attentions?" Tony nodded. "Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one."

"Huh?"

"His classmates are playmates, boss. He'll top them, he'll be the big, butch top. He'll play with them, mostly hand and blow jobs. He's only had three sex partners since he got here that I know of."

"Five," Abby told him. "Plus about twenty times he's given blows or hand jobs." Gibbs blushed a bit at that. "Hey, your son is gay. Gotta accept that's how they do it, bossman." She patted him on the hand again. "He's always the same with them as he is with you. The big, tough, strong guy who doesn't let himself go and be weak."

"I don't mind if he's weaker than I am. That's training," Gibbs noted.

"Yeah, and he might as well be a Marine too, boss," Tony noted dryly. "Not like he didn't get the training back home."

"Point. So, when does he let go?"

"One of the guys I saw him teasing was one he let be the bigger, stronger, top sort that he could be cuddled by," Abby told him. "He was slightly older at twenty-five I think." Tony nodded. "They dated for about four months during the summer."

"The chaperone guy?"

"No, that was quick hand jobs," Tony told him. "I asked. For him, there's playmates and then there's boyfriend material. The long-term, wanting to be held, being able to let go sort. They're all older."

"Like you are."

"Like I am. I'm not sure if I was the first or not," he admitted.

"No, he's always been around older guys," Abby pointed out. "Jesse was his age but Xander once told me he was a lot like his father, mentally older. He hung out with Jesse's parents a few times while they were in town too. Giles is another example."

"The thing is, it's not a daddy figure he's looking for," Tony offered. "He's not looking for an approval person or anything like that. He's looking for someone to be a bit more stable, someone who can yank him back if he gets a wild thought that makes no sense. He's looking for a security blanket and a safety cushion. Someone who's there if he needs them to be, but would also appreciate him being younger and more fun, someone to have some fun with. Xander's not clubbing each time he goes out. Half the time he ends up in some pretty sophisticated places, Gibbs. I found him at Sophia's more than once."

Gibbs thought about that then nodded. "I can accept that in him. If that's what he wants. As long as he's not recreating his abuser or anything."

"Oh hell no. The first person who raises a hand to him would get the hell beaten out of them," Tony assured him. "The same as he does not want a daddy."

"Good. I'm not like that," Gibbs quipped, signaling for another drink. "I'll cab home."

"I'll drive you and then cab back," Tony promised. "I've only had one over the last hour." Gibbs nodded at that. "He's also very careful to be very safe. He's given some kids the talk and he nearly killed a friend's little brother when they found him trying to give a pro a blow without a condom. They drug his ass in for tests the next day and the pro too." Gibbs smiled at that. "He skipped history to do it," he admitted dryly, smiling at the waitress. "Hi. Can I have a soda, no ice?" She nodded, taking his cup to get him a clean one. "He's also got an eye for form, boss. He's got some high hopes. We sat down in the mall and I watched who he looked at. They were *fine*. I wouldn't date a guy my age or slightly older but the ones he looked at I might've given them some play."

"Good to know. Explains why he passed art and why his present art teacher now is so frustrated with him."

"Yeah, well, a lot of homosexual art is in the younger male form, about his age. He doesn't have a twinging for guys his own age. He wants that feeling of safety if something happens. That does lead back to his parents."

"I realize that." He sighed and dug into his slice of pizza. "Are we sure he's okay mentally doing that?"

"He's fine, boss. I made sure he's not recreating the shitbags back there or you." He took another bite and accepted his soda. "Thank you." She smiled and walked off to check another table. "I think that's why he's got me as a fantasy. I'm hot but I'm also very safe for him to be with, but I would like his fun and energetic side." Gibbs gave him a look. "It's not like you didn't know about his crush."

"Oh, I did," he agreed dryly. "There are days when I think you'd be good for him and then there's others when I'd worry if you two got together."

"I'd still be a top," Tony said quietly, giving him a look. "He'd be as happy as I could make him but I don't foresee it happening." Gibbs relaxed again. "He needs to grow up a bit more for my tastes."

"I'll point that out."

"Oh, he knows," Tony assured him, saluting him with his soda. "We're more than comfortable enough with each other to talk about that stuff. I've even thought about setting him up with a frat brother of mine."

"Please don't."

"Okay, I won't." He grinned. "Are we thinking tequila or are we thinking margaritas tonight?"

"It's Jimmy Buffet. Margaritas are almost mandatory," Abby teased with a grin. "I've seen him drive a few older guys off some of the goth kids in the clubs," she offered. "He's got a very good view on who's trouble when he's out."

"Which was why he was so good in Rome," Tony reminded her. "I can't believe he spotted more than I did. Or that he lost me."

"Make sure he doesn't do that in Rio," Gibbs reminded him.

"He said he wouldn't and he does keep his promises," Tony pointed out patiently. "I'm more worried about a spook coming up to him."

"I'd almost count on it," Abby said quietly, glancing around. "We do realize that Sheppard is one?" They all nodded. "Well, I got an email from Clayton today. Someone down there will try to tempt him because she pointed out how useful he was to certain operations types to someone not over his training program. So if he loses you, it's going to be for a good reason."

"Hopefully. I will hurt them if they try," Tony assured her.

"Me too. Should we let the local office down there know that we're there?"

Gibbs nodded. "That's protocol." He finished his beer. "DiNozzo, hurry up. I don't want to miss him coming home."

"Oh, I'm sure you won't, boss." He finished up and put down his part of the check. "By the way, have we seen him playing hide and seek with the spooks around here recently? McGee was trying to find him a few times and called him Waldo."

Abby giggled so hard she snorted. "I can see that! Then again I can so see him in that outfit!"

Tony shook his head. "Please don't." He walked Gibbs out to his car, taking the keys. "Have you seen Where's Waldo, boss?"

"I have. The books are frustrating finding all the little things. He was working on one the other day." He climbed in and buckled up, letting Tony handle the car however. "Thank you."

"Welcome. Least I could do for you and him, boss. You needed some fears put aside and I'm good at that." He smirked at him. "Doesn't mean I don't get to pick on the kid now and then." He turned lanes and went around a corner, running into the concert. "Huh. I thought this was a street over. Wanna go find the boys?" Gibbs nodded and got out, going to find his son. The guards let him in with a ticket price and he stalked through the crowd. He saw Tony mirroring him and nodded down toward the middle. Craig and his mother. Another female holding hands with her and another kid he didn't know. A fairly drunk McGee, and his very loud and drunkenly cheering son. He walked behind the row and grabbed his son by the ear while Tony winked at Craig and got McGee up and out, dragging him off. "How hard is it to make sure he doesn't drink?" he demanded.

"M'not drunk," he slurred.

"It probably only took him a single drink," Gibbs said when they joined him at the car. "The kid smells like a beer stein." He opened the door and pointed. "In, McGee." He slunk down but got in there. "Do not puke in the car, either of you." He started to get in to drive and Tony shook his head, giving him a nudge. "Fine." He walked around, getting in and turning to nag them. "You two are plastered."

"My fault," Xander said, sounding a bit less drunk now. "Sorry, dad. I was having some fun and letting go."

"You don't have to drink to do that."

"I do need the mental lube to let go."

"We'll be talking, son. This still isn't healthy to do." He slapped McGee's face lightly. "Don't you dare pass out."

"He only had three, dad," Xander sighed. "I made them fairly weak."

"Who let you buy liquor?"

"No comment." He looked at his father. "Not like it's a habit, dad," he said more quietly.

"I know. Tony and I talked. It's still not the best thing if you need mental lube to let go." He shifted more fully to look at him. "That way leads to the slide, son. Why do you need the mental lube?"

"Because otherwise the switch that makes me the serious guy I am in training is stuck in the 'on' position sometimes." He leaned back and closed his eyes. "That's the bad part of margaritas, the swirls later." He nudged McGee awake again. "Don't sleep yet. You've got to make it to bed." McGee nodded. Tony pulled up outside his house and got him out, dragging McGee up to his place to put him to bed. "I'm sorry, but sometimes I get stuck and I can't get around it."

"There's other ways, son, and I'll work on that with you." He reached back. "I know that sometimes it's got to be Miller Time. I've had those days myself." Xander nodded at that, staring at him. "But doing it just to let loose is bad. Especially with your history."

"That's why I never go that far and I don't do it that often. I don't even want to be one of those social drinkers."

"I can understand that but we'll be talking when you wake up in the morning."

"I've only had four."

"Which speaks to an incredible tolerance."

"Yeah, well, not the first time," he admitted sourly.

"When was?" he asked.

Xander looked at him, then shrugged. "I was probably four or so. I was drinking out of mom's glass of Jack and Coke." His father opened his mouth. "The first I really remember and know I didn't get a hangover after? I was ten and my father decided it was time I learned the family's best kept secret. We killed a case between us and a fifth of Jack. I puked for hours but no headache. My father said it was the family secret." He grimaced at his hands. "I only drink a few times a month, dad." He looked at him again. "I used to drink a lot more in Sunnydale to kill the pain and the nightmares."

"What do you do now when you have nightmares?"

"I play with the dog."

"That's what I heard," he sighed, shaking his head. "You could come down and talk."

"You were asleep."

"Not really. I don't do that as much as I should from my own nightmares, son." He reached back and Xander took his hand. "We'll work on that together, all right?" Xander nodded. "Good. No more drinking this month. If you get stuck, you come tell me. Not Tony, not Abby, me."

"Yes, sir. Did I lose my trip?"

"No. That's a once-in-a-lifetime thing," he offered. "I'm impressed that you're not already an alcoholic with your former family." He gave the hand in his a squeeze. "We'll figure it out, kiddo. I promise we will. You're not in trouble. You are for giving it to McGee and the other kids."

"Kyle's mom bought it and the pot." He covered his mouth. "Oops?"

"Did you?"

"Nope. It was for afterward. We were all going to Kyle's house to get mellow and cuddle." He shrugged. "It's only the second time except for that accidental one during the questioning thing where I kissed Tony."

Gibbs smiled. "Liquor makes you babble a lot, son. It's probably a good idea to stick to beer from now on. We'll talk tomorrow."

"Yes, dad." He slunk down and took his hand back. "Are you disappointed?"

"That you got your bodyguard drunk, yeah. That you were doing it? I should've expected this sort of thing. It's a common dodge for PTSD. Plenty of us have went that way after battles." Xander nodded at that wisdom. "We'll talk tomorrow but you are grounded until you leave for Rio because you did get McGee drunk. No computer, nothing."

"I still need the stuff for Willow."

"We'll monitor that. You can do that in front of me. I'd rather know up front than later anyway, son."

"Yes, sir."

"Try dad?"

"I do call you dad."

"You do. But not when I'm upset or you're upset."

Xander burped. "Excuse me. Training."

"Yeah, well, break it, kiddo. I'm your father, I'm not your drill sergeant." He looked over, finding Tony on the stairs of the building. "Think you can make it home without puking?"

"I have in the past. I only puke when I've passed my usual limits."

"Get in here, DiNozzo." He came back to drive them home. "Thank you."

"Not an issue, boss. You two needed time to talk." He looked back in the rearview mirror. "Maybe you should give him that tape, Xan."

"I'm not ready for that yet."

"When you are, you'll hand it to me," Gibbs assured him. Xander nodded at that. "We'll talk tomorrow after school?"

"Can I skip?"

"No." He smirked. "You are still grounded for getting your bodyguard drunk."

"Dad, he's not exactly bodyguard material. We went out to have fun, not to have that stiffly formal relationship. Really. He's good and all that, but bodyguard?"

"That's what I intended him to be. Quit justifying it."

"Yes, sir." Gibbs gave him a look. "Dad."

"Thank you." He smiled and turned back around, watching the pretty blue lights come on behind them. "Hell. What did you do?"

"Nothing." He pulled over and the cop came up behind him. "Yes, officer?" He looked and stared. Then he reached for his gun. "Ari!" Xander had his out first and pointed at him, braced against the back seat. "Boss, permission?"

"Get out and arrest him, don't shoot him." They got out and he watched his son move. He was loose and comfortable but not drunk. He got out to help, taking his son's gun. They got backup a few minutes later thanks to Xander calling Kate and it was a great weight off them. They filled out minimal paperwork and headed home anyway. He tucked his son into bed and went to his own.

***

Gibbs looked over as Xander came down the next morning. "Wear it." Xander gave him a horrified look. "He escaped custody. Wear it." Xander went to get his gun and put it on, coming back down. "Thank you. That was stupid of him last night."

"It was a taunt. He knew he could get out when he did it," Xander said quietly, leaning on the back of his chair. "Are we okay?"

"We're fine, son." He looked at him. "Want some juice?"

"No, I want a tongue scraper." He sat down and drank the juice anyway. He was thirsty. "Do we think he'll make another move so soon?"

"I don't know," Gibbs admitted. "I was told that the Mossad contact is coming back this week." He leaned his elbows on the table, watching his son eat. "How can you do that? The last time I got as drunk as you were last night I didn't make breakfast."

"Practice and necessity." He looked at him. "Again, not the first time."

"I understand. I also know that we're still going to have to find you a new way to let go, kiddo. It's not healthy for you to drink even two or three times a month."

"Pot. Kettle," Xander said dryly.

"I know. I do it for the same reasons. I'm too old to learn new ways. You're not."

"Point." He slumped and looked at him. "I didn't mean to upset you...."

"You didn't. I should've expected some wildness out of you, Xander. Especially with what the former parental units were like. Like I said last night, I'm surprised you're not a full-blown lush with them and what you used to do. You're impressing the hell out of me at the moment." Xander relaxed again and nodded. "For right now, we'll work on those issues. You need it. Is there any other way you let go?"

"Going bottom slut," he offered dryly.

"Not something I can help you with, son."

"I know. That's why I don't do it here."

"Tony, Abby, and I talked about you for a while last night. That's why I wasn't driving. I had a few beers with the pizza we shared." Xander gave him a horrified look. "What?"

"You guys talked about me in public?"

"Yeah, but no one was nearby. We started out talking about graduation presents." Xander smiled at that. "As long as you do live until graduation it should be a nice surprise." He cleared his throat. "You're still grounded until you leave for Rio."

"Which is in a week, dad."

"Point. Maybe a few days after you get back too." Xander grinned at that. "We good?"

"We're fine."

"What's on the tape?"

Xander considered it then looked at him. "I'm still not ready for that."

"That's fine. When you are, you'll give it to me."

"Yup, probably right before I leave the country again," he noted dryly. His father smirked at that. "That way I'm not in 'strange emotional range' again." Gibbs nodded at that. "Thanks."

"Welcome. Come on. You've definitely lost driving privileges." Xander sighed but got up and let his father drive him to class. He waved at him and headed into the office a lot more calm about his son. His son was pretty strong and he understood what he was going through, at least a bit. His son was a great kid.

***

A week after they got back from Rio, Xander was slumped down in English class, looking out the window while someone gave a book report orally. He saw a glint off something and sat up straighter, then got up to stare out the window. The teacher coughed and he looked. "I've....I've gotta go." He hurried out. He knew his dad's car. He knew the glint on another building. It was too familiar. He called him. "Dad, sniper. West." He hung up and raced out of the school, finding the right direction easily enough. It was a set of warehouses near the school. He found the right one and sped up momentarily, taking a running leap at the bottom of a fire escape ladder. He pulled himself up and climbed up the ladder as quietly as he could. Even though he heard a shot go off. He could hear the gunshots stop in the valley between the two warehouses then a pause and a final one. He peeked over the edge, seeing his father's team working on something, then he saw what had been glinting. He snuck over the edge, inching his gun out. "Freeze, Ari. Now." The sniper froze and moved one hand. "I wouldn't." He kicked the gun away and shifted slightly to his side. "Do not move. That's not a hard command." He glanced over. Someone was down. "I've got him. Come switch places!"

"Yes, what will you choose to do?" he taunted. "Let the bad guy go to save the fair lady? Or keep me and lose her."

He put in his ear bud. "Tony, describe the injury. Get McGee to get Ducky's kit out of the trunk. Yes, I'm serious. Is she dead?" He nodded once. "Good. Get the field kit. There's a stapler in there. Also some clamps. Get the ends of the vein together however you can for now. I'm on. I've got him." He listened while they did it. "That's fine, expect some seeping but if she's too long without that vein working the brain's not getting enough oxygen. I know, neck shots are problematic." He cocked the gun. "I said don't move, Ari. Did you think I was kidding?"

"You won't shoot me, the safety's on."

Xander checked, then clicked it off. "Bet me," he said coldly. "I've hunted other things. I've killed things that most people don't even believe in. What makes you so sure I won't jump from demons to you?" He listened to the voice. "Paramedics are there? Let them have the clamp or whatever. I can replace it." He hung up and continued to hold him. He shifted his stance.

"You're just a little boy," Ari hissed.

"No, I haven't been one of those in a long time." He heard people coming up the fire escape. "Bring cuffs?"

"I did," Gibbs agreed. "Back down." Xander shook his head. "Now."

"No. He'll get free again."

Tony stepped between them, staring into his eyes as he made Xander lower his gun. "It's an emotion, Xander," he said quietly. "I want to kill the asshole too. Kate'll live." He turned and kicked him, cracking at least one rib. Then he turned back to him. "Get him if it'll help."

Xander shook his head. "It won't."

Tony made the kid look him in the eyes again. "Been here, done that, nearly slipped myself. You do that, you become just like him. Just like the ones who're training you," he said quietly. "Put it away." Xander reholstered his gun and Tony relaxed some. He pulled the kid closer, holding him, letting him shake for a bit. "You did good. I wanted to do the same thing. So does your dad."

Xander got free and looked over. "Dad?"

"He's right, you shouldn't shoot him. I should shoot him. I won't get in trouble for it."

"You do that and I lose you."

Gibbs looked at him. "Not necessarily. You and Tony wouldn't contradict my story, right?" Xander shook his head.

"Never, boss, but remember the slippery slope?" He nodded at Xander. "You'd still lose him to some degree by beating your own ass over it."

"I've had to kill before."

"That was my line earlier," Xander pointed out.

Gibbs nodded. "True. Mine was actually human though." He stared at him, seeing the fear.

"You do that, he's a martyr, boss," Tony said quietly. "He's a martyr to them and to their cause. He'll get lauded for centuries for doing this." He came over. "Just cuff him and kick him, boss. Please. I don't want the team." Gibbs nodded, putting his gun away. Tony relaxed and watched as Xander kicked him in the side, then the nuts. "Nice shot, Xan." He pulled him back again, giving him another hug. "You're okay. It's a normal desire. We'd hate to lose you from doing it." Xander nodded, letting Tony lead him off after Ari. "Boss, we're keeping him, right?"

"In a dive tank so we can regulate his oxygen," Xander suggested. "They have to be gotten out of from outside."

"True, and it's got the basic necessities," Tony agreed, smiling at him. "I like the way you think."

"Plus we can turn up the nitrogen and poison him slowly."

"We can," Gibbs agreed. "You did listen in biology. I'm impressed, son."

Xander gave him a hug once Ari was in the car. "Which one of us hits the hospital?"

"You go for me. We'll come to get a statement. How did you know?"

"His scope or something was winking in the sun and I have a scanner on very quietly in my pocket," he admitted, pulling it out. His father smirked and took it, giving his head a nudge. "Thanks. But with that winking and that wasn't the building you were working on? Yeah, not going there."

"Good point. Thank you, son." He gave him a hug. "Go stay with Kate until we can get there." Xander nodded, heading off to get a ride with one of the cops. He pulled out an ID badge for Langley and they gave him scared looks but took him there. "He's good."

"He still nearly slipped, boss," Tony said quietly. "They would've loved that." Gibbs looked at him and Tony stared back. "The same as if you had. It would've given them leverage to get Xander." He walked around to get in. "Let's go, boss. I want to see Kate and this one being around is keeping us from the hospital."

Gibbs nodded and got in, driving his normal way on the way back to the station. He stuck him in a cell and pocketed the key personally. He pointed at two guards. "This is the man who shot me, shot Ducky's assistant Gerald, and just now shot Agent Todd. I want him alive when I get back and in that cell. I want him able to scream, cry, and rant to his God. Anything else is up to you. I know he's got a broken rib during apprehension. Am I clear?"

"Yes, sir, even if the building is on fire, he's staying in that cell," one agreed, nodding. "How is Agent Todd?"

"Headed for immediate surgery. He hit her in the throat, Xander's sneaking up on him apparently threw off his aim. It probably would've been a head shot otherwise," Tony told him. They shuddered at that. "Are we clear?"

"We're clear," the second one agreed. "Not even the director is getting him free, sir." Tony nodded at that and they left, still wearing their vests. They shared a look and glared at the person in the cell. He was not going to have a pleasant night.

The director met them on the stairs. "Jethro, I heard someone got shot on your team. Who?"

"Kate," he said grimly. "Throat shot. Xander sneaking up on him ruined his aim with the noise he was making. If he gets out of that cell, I'm going to kill him, Jen. Nothing will stop me." He walked around her. "I've got an injured agent and a son to deal with."

"You're going to punish him, correct?"

"He saved her life," Tony sneered. "Hell no, woman!" He walked after him, shaking his head. "Boss, sorry if I get fired for being an asshole."

"I knew you were an asshole already, DiNozzo. I find it a charming trait. Like how you drug my son out of the whorehouse in Rio." He got in to drive, Tony sliding across the hood and scurrying inside so he wouldn't be left behind.

The director fumed. "Well!" She stomped inside, going to call her Mossad contact. "We've captured Ari. He was trying to shoot an agent." She hung up and went down to check on him. "Is he secure?"

"Still in handcuffs and the main key is in Agent Gibbs' pocket, ma'am," one of them reported. "They reported he might need medical attention for a broken rib but he doesn't appear to be suffering and until Doctor Mallard comes back, he can wait."

"That's fine. Let me know immediately if someone tries to get in to see him."

"Yes, ma'am." She walked off, heading back to her office to make some calls. She didn't care who's nice guy list he was on, he had tried to kill one of her agents. She knew Gibbs was being serious. He would kill him if he was released.

***

Xander woke up in the middle of the night, hearing a step in his room. He pulled his knife from under his pillow and lunged, making the person yelp and his father come running. "Who the fuck?" he demanded, taking off his hood once his father had turned on the lights. "Patrick?"

"He's a mole," he said quietly. "You're not answering the phone, Xander. They took him out so he could bust the cell."

"Fuck the cell. He tried to shoot one of my dad's team, if not my father."

"Not my decision. I'm only the messenger," he said calmly. "We don't think he'll try again."

"No. Because he wasn't captured another time taunting us," Xander said dryly. "Or trying to bomb that coffeeshop on my father." Patrick swallowed. "You can tell them I'm not happy and if they thought I wasn't using it before, they've got it coming. This will make me turn on them."

"I'll pass it back. Can I live?" Xander removed the knife from his throat. "I'm sorry. It wasn't even us. Morrow is hellishly pissed. He's been ranting at Herbert and Herbert's had to point out multiple times that it wasn't his decision either."

"In other words, there's idiots in charge?" Xander noted dryly.

"And then some. They think his uses outweigh his stench."

"Fat chance."

"Not my call."

"Point," Gibbs assured him. "Let them know he's not coming back." Patrick nodded and left, heading down to the front door at a jog. He looked at his son. "If he's out, I want you safer."

"He's not going to try here!"

"He is. He couldn't get his target to make us hurt, he'll try me personally. He's after me, Xander. I want you to go to Tony's."

"Shouldn't we call first?"

"No. He'll take you in no matter what." He tipped his son's chin up. "I don't want you in that sort of danger," he said quietly. "If I die, Tony and Ducky will take care of you. If you die, I'm going to destroy things. Are we clear?" Xander sighed and nodded. "Thank you. Now, pack a bag and head over. Just in case."

"You'll need backup."

"I'll have it." He smirked. "Remember, I'm used to thinking strategically. If he comes for you, don't hesitate. If he doesn't, stay away until I call."

"No. You have two days." He looked at his father. "And then I'm coming home. If he comes then, he faces you and I'll back you up." His father opened his mouth. He held up a hand. "Don't start. Just don't. You know damn well I'm not going to stay away. I may even sit up in a tree for the next few nights. This is my fucking home and I'm not leaving."

"Fine. Two days." Xander nodded and packed his backpack. "School clothes?"

"Doubt it. Oh, but do call the headmistress and tell her I'll be out for the next few days but I'm fine. I forgot earlier." His father rolled his eyes but went to do that. He called Tony. "Ari's out. Dad said I have to come camp on your couch for two days." He hung up and took his case out from under his bed. That, his laptop, and his backpack got hefted down to the car, then he came back for two sodas. "I mean it, dad, two days." He slammed the door on his way out. He came back and got his dog and took him too, just in case. His father forgot to feed his dog now and then. That reminded him and he went back for his food and bowls, getting an amused look. "Not like you wouldn't forget to feed him," he muttered. "He'd probably pee on the boat again and it'd be my fault." He headed back out, watching his dog whimper. "We're going to see Tony." The dog settled down. He liked Tony nearly as much as his master did. Xander backed down the driveway and headed over there, finding Tony waiting on him on the stairs. "If it's inconvenient, I can hit a motel."

"Fat chance." He got up and came over, getting the dog and dog food. "What happened?"

"One of the kids I train with broke into the house. Someone decided he still had use."

"Excuse me?" Tony asked, letting the leash fall. The dog went to sniff the bushes. "Blackie!" He came back and sat beside him. "Good boy." He took the leash again. "So they broke him out?"

"Or something. I told dad he's got two days to do it his way and then I'm going home again." He grabbed the other three and headed inside after Tony. "Sorry if this crimped a date. I know Abby had a snuggle buddy in her coffin tonight."

"Abby would've let you go nest in the trees behind the house. I won't." He locked the door after them, letting the dog go. "You have to be very quiet. I'm not supposed to have you." He looked at the boy again. "Are you all right?"

"Pissed," he said firmly, looking at him. "There's no way in hell I'd ever work for them before, but now?" He let out a bitter sounding snort. "Ain't no way." He sat down. "How can they weigh lives like that?"

"It's their job. That's one of the many reasons we didn't want you to go over there," Tony offered, sitting beside him. Blackie hopped up to sit in the master's lap but his ears were temptingly close to Tony's hands, earning a smile. "Are you feeling ignored?" He petted him but let the boy cuddle him. It was a good thing his girlfriend had been very understanding. They sat and cuddled for about twenty minutes when Tony had to get up and answer a quiet knock on the door. He looked at his present girlfriend. "What did you forget?"

"My house keys." She came in and looked at Xander, smiling. "Hi, I'm Bev."

"Hi, Xander." He shook her hand listlessly. "My life's in danger. What are you missing?"

"House keys." Xander spotted them and pointed. "Thank you, dear. You're going to be a heartbreaker when you finish growing up."

"I'm seventeen, Bev, not seven," he complained. She laughed and patted him like she would the dog then left. He looked at Tony once she was gone. "Gee, doesn't appreciate them younger?"

"Not hardly. That's probably a good thing since she's seeing me." He headed into the kitchen, putting down the food bowls and refilling the water dish. Blackie came in to investigate then headed into the bedroom. "Let us know if you've got to go out." He went back to the couch, letting Xander cuddle into his side again. "He'll be fine."

"He'd better be," he vowed. "Willow thinks she can bring someone back. I'll let her try."

Tony smiled. "I'm sure he'd mind."

"Do I care?" Xander looked at him. "I'm not kidding." Tony lost his smile. "Speaking of, I've got stuff I've got to translate for her. Want to watch me since I'm still grounded?"

Tony snorted. "No, that's all right." He stroked through Xander's hair. "Get to sleep sometime today." He got up and headed into the bedroom, finding the dog sleeping stretched out in the middle of the bed, his head on the pillows. Tony chuckled. "You're so spoiled, dog." He laid down, cuddling the beast. If he didn't like it, he'd move. He heard Xander come in but he was sneaking into the bathroom so he wasn't upset. The boy came back out. "You can flush. My girlfriends do." Xander went back and flushed and the dog followed him. Tony smiled and settled in to nap. He would talk with Gibbs in the morning to get briefed.

***

Xander watched Tony ignore his alarm and sighed, calling the house. "Does Tony have to appear today?" He smirked. "Greatness. No, he's asleep with the dog. Thanks, dad. Anything happen yet?" He hung up on him and Xander groaned, calling the director's office. "Michelle, it's Xander. Yup, me. No, but Tony might be a bit late. Dad had to send me to him last night since Ari's out of jail *again*. I'm not real sure," he noted dryly. "Something about me *killing* him." He smiled at the sleepy Tony stumbling toward the bathroom. "Yeah, probably not by much and Dad might be too. He sounded like he hasn't slept yet. Oh, charming. Tell her she can wait and not to sit at Kate's desk this time." He smiled. "Goodie. No, I'm at Tony's with the dog. Thank you. No, if she wants me, she can yelp and my dog will hear." He hung up on her laughter. "You can be a few late," he called.

"Thanks. Who were you talking to?"

"Michelle. The director's secretary." Tony came out of the bathroom with his toothbrush hanging out of his mouth and his hands on his hips. "She likes to feed my chocolate addiction." He went back to the living room. "I'd dress for an active day."

Tony retreated and came back out without the toothbrush. "School?"

"Fat chance," he said dryly. "No way I'm going until I get back home." He looked at his dog, then at Tony. "Besides, I have something to do today." Tony raised an eyebrow. "I have trainers who are bastards."

"Don't, Xander. They will hit back."

"We'll see." Tony shook his head but he walked off to get dressed. "Should I make breakfast?"

"I'll drive through somewhere. Thanks anyway." He heard the soda open and looked out. "Don't spill that."

"Sure." He took another drink and got to work with the stuff he had set out on the table. Tony looked and sighed, then shuddered and walked off again. "I'll visit Kate later as long as your landlord doesn't call someone on us."

"I'll have a word with him about protecting a witness." He looked down at the begging face. "Let the boy feed you. Your his." Blackie trotted that way and he finished getting dressed. He did dress for an active day. It wasn't going to be nice by any means. Gibbs was going to growl all day. He walked in and found the security team waiting on him. "What?"

"Where's Gibbs?" the director demanded.

"Probably coming from home. He lives further out and it's been rather a long night since one of Xander's fellow trainees broke in to tell them that Ari was out."

"How would he know?" she demanded.

Tony looked at the guards. "Guys, what does Xander do during the summers?"

"He's in pre-agent training with the guys out at Langley in the sub-basement somewhere," one of them reported faithfully. "Every now and then he comes in complaining about them too. Is the boy okay?"

"He's fine. He's on my couch," Tony assured him. "With his dog." That got a smile. He looked at the director again. "That crash we just heard was probably Gibbs pulling in and someone trying to cut him off." She stormed that way. He signed in.

"Do not move, Agent DiNozzo."

"But, boss, I need something to drink with my breakfast," he called. He looked at the guards, who shrugged. "I already miss Morrow. Now I see why Xander calls her She Who Barks," he muttered. A few caught that and laughed, nodding. Gibbs was escorted in. "Hi, boss. I got you an egg mcmuffin too."

"Thanks, DiNozzo. Let's go."

"She said I couldn't move."

"She's not in charge of my team. My team is my team." She gasped. "Drop it, Madam Director. He shot my agent. If he comes for me or mine, he's going again. This time permanently." He walked off after he had signed in. "Coming, DiNozzo, or do you need an invitation."

"Coming, boss." He slid into the elevator and handed over the sandwich, looking at him. "They're there with the laptop and some candles and stuff. He was talking about making some people miserable."

"I'm sure he can. That magic stuff is pretty powerful."

"Yeah, he said if you died, Willow thinks she can bring people back, boss." He gaped and Tony nodded before walking off the elevator. "I do believe he told someone to tell you not to sit at Kate's desk," he said loudly. The woman there hopped up. "Thank you. She's only injured." He sat down and dug into his breakfast while he computer booted, finding a message from Xander. "He's bored."

"He's not bored. He's helpful."

"No, he said he's bored," Tony offered, sending it to his boss.

"The dog's bored. They left all his toys at the house." He sat down and got into his browser to get into the chat room. They had more information than he had and it appeared that Xander's training class were on his side in this debate.

"Off the chatroom, Agent Gibbs," the director ordered when she came in. She yanked his ethernet cord when he didn't. "That was an order."

"And that was some other intelligence agents, Director. They're watching over Kate for me." He took it back and plugged it back in but McGee came over to plug it in for him. "Thank you. Get what they know, McGee."

"Already on it, boss. He's got a target." He handed it over. "I got it IM'd to me at five this morning." He looked at Tony. "I called the hospital this morning, she's fine and ranting. She said we should've let Xander shoot him." He sat down again when the director gasped and stared at him in horror.

"I don't want my son to go down that path, McGee," Gibbs said firmly. "If there's a homicide to commit, I plan on doing it." He found what he wanted and got into that file, smiling at it. "Nice to know. Thank you, Willow." He smirked at Tony. "Willow's not a happy camper since the son isn't."

"Is she coming out?" Tony asked, food put down in front of him and he took an antacid.

"No, they're too busy out there." He got back into the chat room and found who he needed, talking to them directly. It was fixed. They had his target within two or three people. He nodded and signed off on the good advice. "McGee, DiNozzo, we're going on a stakeout. Take one each, I'll get you replacements in a few hours." They ran off with their assignments, Tony still eating. He looked at the Mossad agent. "Officer David," he said dryly. "Back again?"

"Unfortunately. Are you all right?"

"He's coming after my family. There's no way I'm allowing them or the team to be hurt further."

"You have family?" she asked. "Your profile...."

"Ask me if I care what my profile says." He stood up and turned off his computer, walking around the director. "I'm going to do my job after I check on my agent. Officer David, you can accompany me." She hurried after him. He looked at her once they were in the elevator. "Don't even expect preferential treatment."

"I won't. I'm fully trained."

"Good." He got out and headed for his car, turning off the security system he hardly ever used. It went off again and he smiled, nodding. He walked away from it, breaking into another car and getting in to hotwire it. The things his son had shown him. He called the security desk. "My car's alarm won't quit going off, even when I stop it. It needs checked. I'm heading off." He hung up and sped off, going to find his target, which happened to be in Tony's apartment building. They watched as Xander escorted his dog out to water the bushes.

"He's very young. Who would've recruited him?"

"It's a personal target for Ari," he said quietly. "He's not a terrorist."

"Are you sure? He's got a gun."

"That's for his protection. He was there when Ari shot Gerald."

She looked at him. "He wouldn't come back to him."

"He would. He smarted off and fought back." She stared, looking confused. "He also pinned Ari to the ground after he shot Kate. He came within inches of shooting him."

"Why didn't he?"

"Because he's seventeen," he said quietly. He looked at her. "That's my son."

"Oh." She looked at the boy. "At least you're sure he's not a terrorist. For all that he looks like one of those rebellious thugs you see on tv."

"That's his sweat pants. They slide down when he's wearing his gun." He looked through his binoculars. "That's my spare, not his. Interesting." He'd have to yell later. His son looked up and waved, then walked the dog back inside, earning a smirk. "He's good."

"He is. Is he planning on training with you?"

"Already started," he said proudly. "Some year soon he'll be a great agent." He saw the pound's truck come in and sighed, shaking his head and calling his agent's landlord. "It's Gibbs." He smirked at the man falling all over himself to please him. "That dark haired guy with a dog is a witness the team is protecting. Do not touch him. He will fight back if you touch his dog. That's how we got another person." He hung up on his assurances. The pound's van got met and they nodded and headed off in another direction. "Good." He checked the area. He called the apartment. "It's me. You're a target," he said quietly. He nodded. "That's still dangerous." He nodded slowly at the idea. "That might work but I want you far away, son." A paintball splattered on his windshield and he smirked. "Nice shot. Do that again and be grounded for the rest of the semester and without a car again." The plan was said again. "Works for me. What is Willow doing to them?" He let out a chuckle of evilness at that. "If she's happy doing it for stress relief." He hung up and turned on the windshield wipers, hosing down the spot liberally with fluid so it could be cleaned off. "His trainers are not going to be happy people. Hopefully they send it up the chain of command."

"Who is training him?"

"Classified."

"Never mind." She looked around again. Then she touched his arm and pointed. "Who is that?"

He looked. "Kate. The woman whose desk you were sitting at." He got out and looked at her. "You should be in bed," he ordered when she came closer.

She snorted. "Yeah, right, Gibbs. If Xander can get up so can I." She looked at the person in the car then at him. "Replacement?"

"Hardly. That is Officer David of the Mossad."

"Interesting. Hi." She looked at him. "I'm suspecting he's here since Abby said he's not at her place?" He nodded. "Wonderful." She glanced behind her then back at him. "I need to thank him for telling you guys what to do."

"Pleasure, you know that. Be safe, Kate."

"I try, Gibbs. You know me."

"I do. The same as I know you need pain killers. Go up there, Tony might have some stashed." She nodded, heading that way. He hung up with his son again and watched her walk. Suddenly a man took off running from the bushes after screaming in pain. Another paintball hit him and Gibbs gave chase. "Got him, Tony, your place. Heading for the freeway," he radioed. Another few cars pulled in and one tried to run him over but the other one nearly slammed into Ari. Tony blocked him off and got out, holding him still.

"Try it. This time they won't stop me."

"You're not the mean one."

"Sure I'm not," he said dryly. "Gibbs?"

"Fine," he panted, coming over. "I hate ducking cars." He pulled out his cuffs and cuffed him. Tightly. He winced so he tightened them as far as he could. "Good," he said in his ear. "Game over."

"Not really. Someone else will get the boy and we'll do great things with him."

"I doubt it. I'm already doing pretty good. Oh, but his former masters, they're in pain." He walked him over to Tony's car. "Keep him with you."

"Of course. Kate?"

"Xander had her covered." He headed back there, going to see if the drivers were still in the cars. Not surprisingly they weren't. He made another call. "Willow, Gibbs. Can you shut them down completely? I think I could cover enough for that, yeah. We'll see. If you need him." He hung up and went back to get Ziva and his son. His son was redressed and still carrying. "You don't need that at the office."

"If he moves I'm so capping his ass this time." He patted his father on the cheek. "Come on. Did you steal the director's car on purpose?" He got into the back with the dog and Kate, checking her bandage. "No damage done. You should still be in bed."

"I'll be fine."

"I'm sure but Ducky will fuss," he said finally, letting her go. Gibbs slid in and they left. "Oh, dad, I may have created a small security booboo when I left on my laptop," he said innocently, giving him a look.

"I asked her to make them suffer too, son." He pulled up beside Tony. "Lose him?"

"Waiting on you, boss. If he moves, McGee's shooting him." That got a nod and he slid back in, driving back right behind Gibbs. The parking garage was still blocked but visitor's parking was always nice. They walked him inside, letting Xander sign him and the dog in. The guards smiled at that.

"Hey, he's a visitor too," he pointed out, taking his pass. He took one for the dog and clipped it onto his collar and they headed up in the second elevator. He walked off into the screaming match. He walked up behind Ari and pulled his gun, clicking the safety off and cocking it. "Now's a good time, don't you think?" he hissed. "All the chaos you could want and none of the grief." Ari let out a small moan, which made the fighting stop. "You wanted to do what to me, pussy boy?"

"You will be trained by those who can."

Xander tipped his face up with the gun. "What makes you think I want it? I'm going to be a nice, normal CSI-type agent. No matter how wet I make your masters. No matter how wet I make my trainers. Am I clear?" he asked quietly. "Those others who sent you after me are going to pay. I'll make sure of it. I may not have to shoot them but they will be paying." Ari swallowed. "Am I clear?" That got a nod. "Good. Now, what's keeping me from shooting you?"

"You can't do that."

Xander glared at the director, making her back off. "He came for me. He was going to try to kill me. He nearly killed Kate. I threw off his concentration when I snuck up on him." She glared. "That's not what you wanted him out for. And yes, I do know your masters." He looked at Ari again. "The only person who's going to stop me you've been trying to kill. Interesting, huh?" Ari started to sweat. "Stare into my eyes, Ari," he said in Hebrew. "Tell me what I'm going to do to you and yours." He sweated worse, his mouth starting to tremble. "There is a reason my father took me from Sunnydale. Think about what I had to do there. Now think of what I've learned since then. I can easily make you one sorry mother fucker." Ari swallowed. "Are we clear?"

"We're clear," he agreed.

Xander uncocked his gun. He handed it to Kate then took one really good hit at his face. "That's for Kate. You don't hurt women around me. That's something I protest, like I do gay jokes. Oh, and you might wanna tell them, I'm as gay as they fucking well come. Though I do have taste," he said, sneering at him. "I'd never sleep with you." He looked at his dog, then at the director, smirking at her. "You really should get my dossier." She stomped off and squealed a few minutes later. "Blackie, leave her alone. She won't play with you, she's going to poison you." His dog trotted back. "Good boy." He looked at his father. "Can I have a buck for a soda? I left my wallet at the house." Gibbs dug out a bill and handed it over. "Thanks, dad." He grinned and headed off to get one, the dog following him.

Ziva yelped and rubbed her ankle. "That beast bit me!"

"Yeah, he's a lot like his master, not real fond of strange women," Tony told her. "Need some neosporin? Ducky's got to come up anyway." He called him. "Ducky, Kate's in." He hung up on the muttering.

Ducky came up and smiled at the dog, petting the well-behaved beast. "There you are, Blackie. Are you being a good boy?"

"He bit me," Ziva complained.

"He does have his father's taste in women, only the most dangerous and deadly get his favored attention." He handed her the tube of neosporin before hauling Kate up and sitting her on her desk so he could look under her bandage. "I see someone's already checked."

"Welcome," Xander called, coming out with the change for his father. "Thanks, dad." He popped it open and sat behind his usual desk. "So, firing squad?"

"Might be a happy thing," Tony agreed. "McGee?"

"I'm not usually pro death penalty but I can make exceptions as long as we use Old Sparky down in Florida."

Gibbs smirked at him. "They've got it working again. No more stuttering." The director shrieked in her office. "Sounds like she got blocked, son."

"Either that or Willow syndrome spread." McGee went to take all their computers off the intranet and called Abby too.

The director stormed down the stairs. "How.... You..."

"How dare I or how did I?" he asked. "You're missing a word in there, director." She glared at him. "You were. I speak babble not huffy woman. I don't like women." She glared worse. He shrugged. "I don't. I'm fairly gay."

"How did you...."

"Two years hunting in Sunnydale, nearly three. Then I came here and your buddies took me in for pre-agent training. Plus, ya know, presents for passing shit, like the dog was." She huffed off again. "I promise I won't do any of that here as long as my father's left alone," he called after her. She glared at him from the stairs and he looked at her. "I want to be on his team some year. After I graduate and all that. Your choice to call a truce or not."

"Truce," she decided. "Now undo whatever you did to my computer."

"Wasn't me," he noted dryly. "Might've been one of my fellow students. After all, you get a bunch of kids around sixteen and make us train to be super spies? We're still teenagers, Director."

"Fine," she ground out. "We'll have a truce and I'll ask them nicely to undo my computer. Get the dog out of the office."

"When I leave. It's too hot to put him in the car and he has bathroom needs. I will let the security guys hold him as long as they're nice to him." She nodded and stomped up the stairs. He waved and turned around. "Hey, George," he called. "You were thinking about a dog right?" The security guy with them nodded. "Can you take Blackie out for a walk?" That got a nod and he came to get the dog and take him out with him. "Thanks, man."

"Welcome, Xander. What's her problem with dogs?"

"She hates anything cuddly and cute."

"Oh, one of those sort of women." He looked at the dog. "Come on, Blackie." He followed him out. "Wanna go visit some bushes?" The dog sped up, looking much happier. "Good boy." He looked over when he heard something move and then the sound of guns clearing holsters and clicking. "Sounds like he moved." He looked at the dog. "Come on, we'll go play. That way I can see if I want a dog like you." He walked him outside once the elevator landed, waving at his boss. "Director said to take him for a walk, sir."

"I didn't know Harris gave her his dog," he said dryly.

One of the other guys looked at him. "She and Harris just had a face-off again. They have the guy who shot Kate up there."

"Good. He dead?"

"Not yet, but he just moved. We're watching on the cams."

"Let me know." He watched his guard and the dog walk. "They're good together. He should get a dog." He went to make notes. "Tell Gibbs it wasn't a bomb, just a fake. His car's fine."

"Yes, sir." He called up there. "Agent Gibbs, Paul with Security. Your car only had a fake on it. It's fine now. Yes, sir. So you won't have to hotwire the director's car next time you have to go out." He smiled when his boss leaned back to look at him through the doorway. "Yes, sir. We are paying attention, sir. Thank you." He hung up. "They're handling it." He made his own notes. "You look good with a dog. You should get one," he told George when he came back.

"Maybe I will. The pound always has ones that need love." He kept the dog with him. He was a good dog. Even if he was a bit restless.

Tony came down and looked at the dog. "He's a good boy but he's a bouncy ball of dog like his master is a bouncy ball of boy." He looked at the guard. "We're going for lunch. Are we in lockdown?" That got a nod. "Sure." He went back up there. "We're in lockdown."

Xander sighed and stood up. Then he patted himself down. His father handed him his wallet. "Anywhere in particular?"

"The chicken place," Tony ordered, handing over another thirty dollars. That was a more expensive place.

Xander nodded and went off, knowing they'd let him back in.

***

"Are there any other papers I have to sign on this hand-over?" Gibbs asked a few days later. Xander handed him a small stack and he signed them. He paused before he signed the last one, looking at him. His son smirked. "That's sneaky."

"Look at what they taught me." He took his permission form and walked off happier. "Thanks, dad, I'll behave in Cancun."

Gibbs shook his head. His son was a bastard just like him some days. He signed the last statement and handed it to Ziva, getting a nod. "We'll give him back to you once you get onto the ground in Israel, Officer David. It's been nice working with you."

"You as well, Gibbs." She hauled Ari up and two agents came forward to take him for her. "Thank you as well." She smiled and nodded. "Tell your son I think he's adorable." She walked out, following them.

Tony waited until the elevator closed. "Proves my theory. She likes Xander, she's dangerous."

Kate looked at him. "It could be worse."

"No it can't be."

"Yes it can be. You could be dating her."

"My present girlfriend thinks of Xander like his dog. I doubt it." He looked around. "Xander, school? Getting your stuff off my couch?"

"Going," he called back. "Dad?"

"Be home in time for supper tonight. You're still grounded," he noted patiently.

"Why?" he complained. "I've been a good boy."

"Because you got McGee drunk," he reminded him. "You helping today doesn't negate that fact." His son sighed but nodded and walked off.

Kate looked at him. "How many shots did it take?"

"Three margaritas," he said grimly.

"Ah, the concert. Did we get the parent who bought it for them?"

"No, but she got busted for the pot she was smoking later anyway," Gibbs offered. He looked up at her. "Her son and Craig are dating now."

Tony logged onto his GPS for Xander. "Oh, boss, if we ever need it, I put a subdermal GPS chip on him in Rome." Gibbs laughed at that. "It's under his hair." He turned his monitor around and typed in a code, sending it to the big screen. "See? He's heading to my place." They watched as he parked and got out, staying there for three minutes. Then he was off again. "Hmm. Heading for.... Craig's? McGee?"

He shook his head. "Tyler's. Craig lives two streets over."

"Who's Tyler?"

"The guy he's tutoring in Latin, boss," McGee offered. "They've got a casual, playmate sort of relationship that usually results in messy clothes according to Xander." They watched. "No, that's not. That's... what's her name, the lesbian's house."

"Yeah, her," Tony agreed. "She's a nice girl but she's not more than clothing and 'boy' support for him. His gay boy girlfriend is Abby."

"Huh?" Gibbs asked.

"Most gay men have a female friend they can gossip and get help from," Kate said dryly. "Abby's probably very good at it too." Both younger men nodded. "Where's he going now?"

Tony looked and smirked. "Um, discount porn place before home it looks like. Maybe he ran out of condoms."

"Turn that off," Gibbs complained.

"I would, boss, but he's moving and he's not heading home. Maybe he left the dog at my place." They watched. "Hmm, ho row." Gibbs growled and got up to look. Tony handed him the remote then got out of the way.

Gibbs called his son. "Xander, where are you?" He listened. "How did you...." He snickered and hung up. Gibbs hung up his phone. "He put the chip in Bryon's hair, Tony. That's not him."

"Then why was he at my place?"

"He's sleeping with the landlord?" Kate suggested. She called Xander. "He was at Tony's?" She nodded and hung up, smirking at him. "He thinks you're hot so he slipped a letter under your door."

"Eww. Where is Xander?"

"Getting stuff from your place and cleaning it," Gibbs told him.

Tony rolled his eyes and sat down, shaking his head.

***

Xander looked up from his haze of sex, finding a tall man standing beside him pulling the women off him. "Do you mind?"

"Your father does."

"My father can eat me." He shuddered. "Eww, never mind." Tony smacked him and his vision cleared. "Tony?"

"You're in deep shit. He said you weren't supposed to come."

"He signed the slip."

"Do I care?"

"Yes. He signed the slip."

"So? Come on." Xander waved at the nice people as he was drug off. "No more, Xander. You're already in deep shit over this."

"He signed the slip."

"I don't care. He said you couldn't go. The law of the moment says you're to be in DC and you know how cranky he is."

"I know. He needed to be here, not me."

Tony smacked him again, glaring at him. "Straighten up, Xander, and grow up."

"I'm allowed! I'm sure you've been in these!"

"No, I prefer one or two on one."

"I had that."

"And how many others?" he demanded.

"Um, four?" He shrugged. "I played very safely and I can't let go any other way, okay?" he said at the continued glaring. Tony slumped and shook his head, going back to towing him off. Xander pulled free. "Dad signed the slip and said I could go. It's not my fault he forgot."

He called him. "Gibbs, your son said you signed the slip." He handed it over. "He said he didn't."

"Yes, you did, Dad. Do you want me to have them fax it to you from the ship?" He listened to him complain. "That's not my fault. Then put him on the line during the daytime, dad. He likes to go wander outside." He hung up and handed it back, shaking his head. "I'll be back in four days, Tony."

"No, we're going now, Xander. I'm not having my ass chewed for this. I've covered for other things but not this." He grabbed him again and walked him off again. "Your father is furious."

"He still signed it. I can get them to give you a copy if you want."

"Xander, even if he did, he changed his mind. You're pushing it." He shoved him toward the ship. "Now, pack." He followed him onboard, shaking hands with one of the chaperones. "His father is having him pulled back to DC."

"Is there a problem?"

"His father claims he never signed the permission form." He pulled out that file and let him see it. "Can I get a copy of that?" He nodded and went to do that, bringing it back with Xander. "Thank you. Most likely he forgot or changed his mind. Either way, Xander's wanted back in DC at the moment."

"That's fine. I know he's had a good few days lounging in the sun." He patted Xander on the head. "Should he maybe take a shower?"

"No, we can do that when he gets home."

"I took one," Xander assured him. "I didn't do my hair. I couldn't find my shampoo." He followed Tony back to the car he had rented. Then onto the plane they were using. He came off it hours later and took the permission slip, holding it up in front of his father's face. "That is your signature, father. You signed it. I may have slipped it into the pile but you did sign it." He handed it over. "I'm going home."

"You're right, you are." He glared at him. "I can rescind it and I said it was too dangerous not even five days ago."

"That was me going to the clubs. There was no way your suspect was on a ship surrounded by a thousand teenagers, Dad!"

"My word is still law, Xander."

"You know what, I'll move." He walked off.

"Freeze!"

"Shoot me." He waved and got into the nearest cab, handing over a twenty. "I'm heading to this address," he said, handing over his license. That got a nod and they were off. His father beat him there because he drove like a maniac, but that was fine. He walked past him and his father caught him. "Let go," he said in a cold voice. His father let go and stared at him. "What is so wrong with me going to have some fun? It wasn't like I was drinking."

"No, but the orgy was a bit much," he noted dryly.

"Well, hell, dad, I was relaxed until you sent Tony to humiliate me." He stomped up to his room and started to pull out his bags. His father came in and hauled him off. "Let go!"

"No, quit!" He pushed him against the wall in the hallway. "It was too dangerous for you to go. To the club or out on a cruise and to Cancun. It was too dangerous and I did not sign that."

"You did. You signed it at the office."

"I don't remember that."

"Get a recent head injury?" he asked bitterly. "I slipped it in with some extra paperwork."

"Which is lying."

"It is not."

"It is."

"No, you called it sneaky. It was the last day we had Ari." His father's face tightened. "Or should I see if they can pull up the security tape?"

"You're grounded to the house except for school."

"Why in the hell do I even bother? Not like it's good enough for you."

"You were doing fine until this episode," he said coolly.

"What episode? This is your shit, not mine. You signed the form. That is your signature. There is no way your suspect was on that ship! There were only twenty adults not working on the ship there. Your suspect didn't even have a passport, which we needed to go on that trip." His father opened his mouth. "We did. The paper says that. Speaking of, I may have left mine there."

"Good, not like you're going to need it. You're grounded to the house except for school."

"Why?"

"Because sneaking papers like that is lying."

"No it's not!"

"It is."

"No, it's not. Not by the definitions I've been given."

"By mine it is, Xander. You will live with my rules under my roof."

"Like I said, I can move tonight."

"You leave this house and I'll have you drug back in chains and kept in chains until you graduate."

"That's fine, I'll move and put my stuff in storage when I graduate." He went back into his room then came out and went to get his dog, bringing him back to his room. "Come on, Blackie. We'll relax together before I scream at the unreasonable beings around here." He slammed the door in his face and locked it.

Gibbs took a deep breath to calm himself down. He walked down the stairs and called Ducky. "What am I doing wrong?" he asked quietly. "I had Tony get him." He sat down, letting his oldest friend calm him down. "Am I unreasonable? He claims he slipped it into some paperwork at the office." Ducky agreed with that and quoted him. He slumped. "It's still...." He nodded, holding his head. "Fine. We'll talk it out. Right now he's locked in his room. No, his windows don't open." He nodded. "Thank you, Ducky." He hung up. "Hungry?" He didn't hear anything. "Xander, want something to eat?" Still nothing. He walked back up there, finding the lights on and hearing the dog in there. The door was still locked so he knocked. Then he knocked harder. His son opened the door and sneered at him. "Hungry?" he asked.

"No, I had a few people for dinner." He slammed the door in his face again and locked it again.

"Xander!"

"Fuck off." He sat down to go back to typing into his laptop at Willow. She understood and sympathized, plus he had stuff they needed to know. He finished the battle plans and got a 'thank you' and a 'calm down and talk to him, maybe he's got reasons' from her. He typed back a ' ha' and his laptop was closed. He took it back. "That was Willow, thank you. Not like anyone else out there can make battle plans." He opened it and went back to it. "Do you mind?" he asked finally, glaring at his father. "I'm actually trying to save the world here." His father logged him off and put the laptop near his stereo then hauled him up and downstairs. "Like I said, I can easily leave."

"You're not leaving. It's dinner time."

"I'm not hungry." His father popped him upside the head. "Would you quit that?"

"No. I won't." He put him in his usual seat and put food on the table, putting some onto his plate. Then he sat across from him. "Eat."

"I'm fine."

"You're not fine."

"No, I'm a bit pissed," he noted bitterly. "Did you have to humiliate me because you're having memory problems? Or perhaps this is the game of the week? Someone at the office has a bet on it, like the director?"

"This had nothing to do with her. I do not remember signing that permission slip and it is too dangerous right now to have you out of the area."

"What's going to happen to me? I might not be blown up?" he demanded, standing up. "I don't need this shit. I've got a battle going on back in Sunnydale that I need to be there for and all too much shit on my shoulders. You won't let me snap any other fucking way and now you took the one way I could? Hell no. Fuck this." He walked off, going back up to his room and heading off once he had his wallet, keys, and jacket. When his car wouldn't start he moved to hotwire his father's but it wasn't going to work either.

"I took the batteries out," Gibbs called from the doorway, watching the dog. "Come eat."

"I'll walk."

"We live twenty miles from civilization and you're still grounded."

"Then maybe I won't kill someone when I find it. Blackie, back inside." His dog ran back inside and he hiked off. He got smart and summoned his phone, getting it into his hand. He at least had that if he needed it.

Gibbs gave him ten minutes then put the battery back into his car, undoing the damage Xander had caused. Then he went after him. He found him still hiking. "Get in."

"No."

"Now."

"No." He took a path into the woods, heading for the nearest neighbor's house. He ran into a harmless wood demon and let it pass, ignoring it. He called Willow. "I hate people. I've decided I'm going to kill them all. Wanna help?" She laughed. "I'm not joking, Willow." He sighed and sat down underneath a tree. "No, I'm not a happy person. No, I'm not in Cancun. He had me escorted from Cancun by Tony. Yeah, him." He held his head. "It's not my fault he doesn't remember signing it. Or that he has some delusion that I'm safer here? Hello, what's going to take me? Yeah. We'll see, Willow. Did you get the battle plans?" He nodded. "Why not?" He thumped his head against the tree, dislodging a few leaves. "Okay. Call me if you need me. Yeah. I can do that too. Thanks." He hung up and got up, dusting himself off. He took off walking again.

A bright idea hit him and he patted himself down for the GPS chip. When he found it he took it out and stomped on it. Then he started walking again. He made it to the neighbor's and the bus line that ran that way. He flopped down onto the bus stop's bench, watching for it. It went a few more blocks and turned around. He checked his watch then the little sign that told you when it ran. He groaned. This was the last run out this way. Oh, well. He could stay at a hotel tonight. His father wasn't a big enough bastard to hurt his dog on him. The bus came up and he paid and got on. Then he flopped down again, watching the city go past. He got into the city's center and got off at the main switching station, going down into the subway. He took it out to the section he felt more at home in. He saw Abby watching and slipped around her, heading up into the night smog. He coughed a few times and headed out to the clubs he usually didn't go to. Too hard core for him usually but he needed to wear out the anger and rage before he snapped and really hurt someone. He paid his cover and walked in, letting the bouncer take his pocket knife. "Can I have that back later?"

"Sure, kid. Make sure you know what's yours."

Xander nodded, looking at it before heading to the floor. The music was pounding through him, vibrating every cell. It wasn't helping him any but it was a start. He slowly lost consciousness as he kept going, stopping someone from mugging him but otherwise he was lost in the music. When the lights started to go up he headed out, stopping to get his pocket knife back. His father had given it to him on his last birthday. He checked, he had his wallet, keys, and phone. He was fine. He checked the street, it was pretty quiet. His watch said it was two in the morning, that explained why, and it also gave him a target. He knew where the illegal raves were going to be this month. He headed down that way, walking slowly, confidently.

A few times a cop car passed and he gave them a cordial nod when one slowed down. He found one of the raves but it was sending his 'demon' senses off the charts. He didn't want to get lost in the hunting tonight. He knew he'd slip and hurt someone. He kept going, finding another one. The music floating out when the door opened was just as hard and techno as the last place. He paid the cover and walked in, heading onto the floor. He got a few admirers but he didn't care. He wasn't here for that. He felt someone watching him and ducked into the crowd and out the emergency exit, heading to a different one. He was not going to be snatched tonight. Nor was he going to be identified in the morning by his pocket knife that would probably be stuck in his chest. He wasn't in the mood to fight, he was nearly ready to cry but he wasn't in the mood to fight. He found a smaller rave and headed in. Goth kids. His adopted family. He found a few he knew and went to dance with them. They would keep him safe.

One looked at him and he shrugged then shook his head. That was the universal teen symbol for 'don't ask' and they all knew that. He moved away from them and headed deeper into the floor, getting caught in the current toward the darker corners. He did get out of one but the other one felt comfortable. He let it carry him. He found a vampire there and sneered, shaking his head. "Not happening," he mouthed. "I'm from the hellmouth." The vampire backed off. "Scram." The vampire left and the dark current quit being as strong but still pretty dark. There were some kids in the corner who were cutting and drinking off each other. He noticed one sawing and walked over, flicking open his pocket knife. "You need it sharpened." The girl smiled and cut herself, letting those around her drink. He wiped off his blade and went back to his dancing. He wasn't going to stop them from being stupid. It wasn't his job. That's what friends and parents were for. He got lost in the music, but he was still furious. He still wanted to hunt, kill, stomp something bloody. It was an urge, the baser instincts in him coming out. He spotted a likely prey but he kept himself from going after the baby vampire. He calmed his mind like he had been taught but it wasn't helping. He went back to his friends. "Stop me," he moaned into one's ear. She pulled him closer. "He yelled because he forgot he signed the slip. He had me fetched."

She patted him gently. "It'll be okay. It's momentary."

"I left. He was going to kick me out anyway."

"I've got a couch."

He looked at her. "I'm too mad. I'll hurt someone." She nodded, patting him and letting him go. "I need stopped."

"Then go check into the psych ward."

He shook his head. "Not that way." He gave her a helpless look. She walked him up to the bar, getting him a single glass of wine. He nodded and drank it quickly, and he bought the next round. He finished it and let the warmth slide through him. He went back to his friends and danced with them, letting it go a bit more now. He felt eyes watching him and turned his back to them. He didn't need this tonight. A warmth moved up behind him and he shifted away, swatting back. The warmth moved closer. "Get off," he called.

"No," the voice said in his ear. "You belong to me."

Xander turned, finding a vampire there. "No I don't. I belong to the slayer." The vampire sneered. "I'm from Sunnydale."

"Prove it."

Xander moved his shirt, showing him the bite marks there. "Prove it well enough?" The man sniffed and stiffened, backing away from him. "Ya think?"

"I do. You're him."

"No shit and I'm trying to get happier. I'm not doing slayer duty tonight. Just leave us in peace and we don't have issues." He let his shirt go and crossed his arms. That got a bow and the man walked off. Xander sighed and huffed, then looked at his friends. He looked at the bar, then shook his head, waving at them. "Laters." They all tried to stop him. "I'm getting a room for the night." They nodded. He pulled out his wallet and found it empty. It hadn't been. Someone was good. He snorted and walked off, going to find the vampires. "Listen, did you really have to mug my ass too?" he demanded.

"That is beneath me."

"I so doubt that."

"Fine. Have it back," he said, handing him a folded bill. Xander looked at him. "You don't trust me?"

"No. I had about a hundred and fifty in my wallet plus my birthday present knife. Oh, and my phone." They were all handed back from the minion's pockets. "Thank you. That's way tacky." He walked off, heading to find a cheap motel. He found one that was so fleabag even the pros weren't working it for the most part. He paid for a night and flopped down in his clothes. Someone knocked on the door. "Not up for fun. Go away," he called in Spanish. The knocking person left. He concentrated, clearing his magic before it went off accidentally. The room was much cleaner a few minutes later. Even the sheets underneath him. He stretched out again and tried to relax but it wasn't working. He sat up and looked at his things, especially his phone. He'd normally call Tony if he had a night like this. Since he was on his father's side this time, that wasn't an option. Someone knocked on the door. "Not interested."

"I can feel you," the voice hissed.

Xander got up, bringing the knife with him. He looked at the demon. "Still not interested but good to know I'm radiating. I'll try to shield that." He slammed the door and went back to bed, looking at the knife. It worked for those others. He saw headlights pull in and heard a door slam. Someone tapped a few minutes later. "Busy," he called in Spanish.

"Let me in."

"No." No way in hell he was letting Kate in tonight. "Go away."

"Let me in or else I'm coming in." Xander sighed but didn't move. She used an old credit card on the door and walked in, closing it again. "Why are you here?"

"Because my father's becoming a forgetful, stupid bastard." He looked at her. "You saw him sign that permission slip, right?"

"I heard you snuck it in there. I was about half asleep." She sat on the foot of the bed. "He had you sent for?"

"No, he sent Tony after me. Drug me out of the party I was in and then home. I'm fucking moving in the morning. I don't need this shit." He looked down again. She took the knife. "I was wondering what the kids who cut themselves get out of it."

"Release." She looked at him. "You shouldn't have those problems." He shrugged negligently. "Come on, you can have my couch. That way he won't worry."

He looked at her. "I don't need it, Kate. Stay out of it before he blames you too." He took his knife back. "I'm not going to harm myself."

"Stupidity is nearly as deadly as being suicidal. Come on, Xander. You can even borrow my shower."

"I have one here. I'm fine." She gave him a look. "I'm serious. I'm fine. How did you find me?" She pointed at his phone. He sighed and took out the extra GPS chip, handing it to her. "Go home, Kate. It's late and you're due in really early," he said quietly. "Before he decides you're taking my side and gets you too."

"He's not like that."

"Yeah he is. Go." She stood up. "Now."

"Knife."

"I might need it."

"You can defend yourself without it." He handed it over. "Thank you." She gave him a look. "You sure?"

"Yeah, I'm fine for the night." She nodded and left, going to report it to the boss. He waited until she was gone then asked to be switched rooms for the night since he had been found by the enemy. The manager smiled. "I cleaned it." That got a nod and he switched him to a room in the back. Xander settled in to clean this one. If he had to wear himself out, he would. Scrubbing was a good way to wear out frustration and rage. Especially when the bathtub was that nasty.

***

Gibbs knocked on the motel room door then he sighed and pulled out his wallet.

A woman next door leaned out. "You looking for the little fish?" He nodded. "He moved out back. Some woman came to visit him last night and he moved like they were all evil."

"To him they are. Which room?"

"Not a clue, cutie."

He nodded. "Thanks." He headed that way, going to find his son if he had to knock on every single door in this place. He found the maid looking at one door and frowning. "My son?"

"Someone's son but he's not a young one. He's your age," she said, looking at him. "Not the first it got too bad for." She went to the office to call someone to pick up the body.

Gibbs glanced then looked at the maid when she came back. "My son's about eighteen, dark haired? Angry. Wearing black?"

"Cleaning boy. He's in 212. Need let in? He a runaway?"

"Misunderstanding." He walked that way and knocked. No answer. He let himself in with a hard turn and a jiggle of the knob and walked in. His son was asleep. It wasn't a restful sleep but he was asleep. He closed the door and sat down in the rickety chair, watching over him. His son calmed and settled into a deeper sleep. He waited a few hours, watching the room's lights shift and change. He heard the clean up crew come from the ME's office. His son stirred at that noise but didn't do more than flip over. Someone knocked on the door around ten and he got up, looking at him. "What?"

"If he's staying he needs to pay for another day." He paid him. "Thank you." He walked off, going to sign him in for another night.

Gibbs sat down again, looking at the body on the bed. He hadn't woken up. It gave him time to think and study his son's body. He was still too tense. Like he expected to be hit by someone. He got up and snuck over to the bed, sitting beside him. His son curled up with his head on his chest, one hand on his stomach, and drifted off again like nothing would trouble him. He waited. He was good at waiting. His son finally woke up. "Morning," he said quietly.

"Why are you here?"

"I should be here. You walked off. I was trying to talk and you walked off."

"You're a judgmental asshole."

"I can be," he agreed. "I've never hid that, Xander."

"You still signed the slip."

"I don't remember doing it and I didn't openly or intend to sign it. Cancun is dangerous. Even you could've been attacked."

"I could be attacked in school."

"I head about the basketball player you stopped from hurting those two girls last semester," he agreed quietly. "Good job." He got a shrug for it. "Does Tony have to say it for you to believe I mean it?"

"Maybe." He sat up and shifted to look at him. "I'm not twelve. I can actually handle myself."

"Tony said you didn't recognize him when he walked in."

"I was in the middle of sex!"

"So?" He looked at him. "You could have been killed, Xander. There was another homicide down there while you were down there."

"Yeah, on the other side of town, by the boat. We were kept on it while they cleaned the scene. We all knew that. I got to answer some of my classmate's questions about what they were doing."

"Good. Maybe we'll get another really good CSI some year." He leaned forward, making him look at him. "How much did you drink?"

Xander moved his face away from him. "Two glasses of wine. Didn't help."

"I'm sorry."

"Yay."

"And that's it for you?" he asked. "I make one big decision and that's all?"

"No. You're still my father," he noted quietly. "It doesn't mean I need the unreasonable demands being made on me. I'm seventeen, not twelve. I've had sex plenty of times, Jethro. It wasn't my first orgy either. Hate to burst that bubble."

"They're dangerous."

"So's breathing the air down at the shipyard with all the smog."

"That's mostly cigarette smoke."

"It's smog."

"Fine. It's smog," he agreed mildly. "It was still wrong to sneak that into the paperwork. I expected you to come to me openly."

"I deserved it! Do you realize what the hell I passed this year? Me! Me who couldn't pass Algebra before with Willow doing my homework when that was eighty percent of my grade!"

"I'm proud you did," he agreed calmly. "I'm very proud of what you've accomplished. I've never been anything but proud of you until you used me that way, son."

"Used you?"

"To get to Cancun."

"I hate to tell you this, Jethro, but I wanted to go with my fellow students, those people who I hang out with. I could've hop on a plane anytime and go to Cancun if I had wanted to go. The same as going to Ireland. That was something for us to make memories on and to be with our fellow students, those who appreciate the same sort of fun we have."

"It's still not safe."

"I'm safer than ninety percent of the people there!" He stood up and looked at him. "Look at me, Jethro. It's not like I can't defend myself. I can and have defended myself and your ass. And Tony's and Kate's and Abby's. The only one I haven't had to defend was McGee. That's mostly because no one wants to hurt Tim." His father's face hardened. "Yeah, remember, I'm the one in active training," he spat.

"So don't go back this summer."

"And do what instead?" he asked dryly. "Hang out at the office? Yeah, because that's not like a jail."

Jethro sighed and looked at him. "Part of the reason it's so dangerous is because of your training, Xander. You could have killed someone."

"I nearly did kill someone last night because I couldn't let go. Even with the alcohol." His father groaned. "Thanks greatly for taking that from me too. Anything else? I'm going to go find breakfast and find an apartment."

"You're not leaving." He looked up at him again. "Sit."

"No."

"Sit and I'll order food."

"I'm not taking shit from you." His father stood up. "What? Going to slap me now?"

"The urge is there," he noted calmly. "You know I'd never hurt you, son."

"No I don't."

"Yes, you do."

"No, I don't. Where's my dog?"

"On his line. Where he should be. Admittedly, he spent most of last night on it as well. I fed him and he's fine." He sat his son down and sat across from him again. "If you wanted to go for that reason, why didn't you explain it that way?"

"I thought you understood," he said bitterly.

"Apparently not. The last time I was on a ship with two hundred people I was on a battle cruiser going somewhere with my unit." Xander shook his head. "What?"

"That's why you won't try to understand, isn't it? Because I won't go into the military?"

"I don't want you in the military, Xander. You're dangerous."

"Only when I'm that pissed," he said darkly, glaring at him. His father popped him on the head. "Do you mind!"

"I'm trying to break it."

"Yeah, well, you're making it grow." He got away from him. "I can move."

"You may not move."

"I will be eighteen in a few more weeks, I'll be moving."

"You will not be moving, Alexander." Xander glared at him. "I want you at home, where it's safer."

"Than what? A battlefield?"

"It was fine until six days ago."

"You still signed it."

"It doesn't matter," he said coolly. He made his son come closer again. "It does not matter whether or not I did sign the slip. It matters that Cancun is dangerous. Since I sent Tony down to get you there's been another two homicides. Did you ever think you were in danger there?"

"I'm in danger anywhere I'm standing or sitting if people find out what I can do and where I'm from," he snorted. "Sunnydale is one of those places that plenty of people would kill me to see if they could gather any power I hold." His father shuddered. "I was probably the safest ever in Sunnydale itself."

"I don't want our cases to impact you."

"There's been three this year, Jethro. That's less than the times they've followed Tony home or hit him on the head," he said facetiously. He saw the hand twitch. "I swear, you hit me and I will slug you back." His father calmed himself again. "What started off this panic, Jethro? Two weeks ago you reminded me to buy sunscreen."

"The new round of homicides."

"And yet we've had how many here in DC since then?"

"Here you've got protectors."

"I'm not an infant!"

"No you're not," he agreed quietly. "But everyone, even me, needs some protection now and then. Or else Kate wouldn't have a new scar on her neck." Xander stiffened at that. "You haven't let that go, have you?"

"Let what go?"

"That you nearly killed him and everything in you was screaming for you to do it."

"No. Not that I haven't had *ample* opportunity since then." He stood up and looked at his father. "I'm fine. I need to unwind and I was doing that with the only method left to me, sex. I was nearly to the point where I had it fully unraveled and I could let go and just enjoy things again and you had to send Tony after me." His face fell. "Yeah. All because you think I'd be a target when I'm in bigger danger here because so many of the goth kids know I'm from Sunnydale and it can get back to the wrong people. Or people who, oh my god, want to take out any of the trainees. I know very well three of us were assassinated recently and I know who did it. It was the assassins class. They were thinning the herd according to them when the ones responsible were stopped by Patrick and the others. They only went after the ones who were staying." His father glared at him. "Yeah, we talk often. Patrick has some respect for me. He has since I nearly killed him for trying to kill me in my sleep." Gibbs nodded at that. "Again, I can protect myself ninety-six percent of the time."

"And the other four?"

"Then I'm not stupid enough to walk out of the house."

Gibbs stood up. "Sometimes it's not stupid. You've missed a lot of school this semester."

"Yay. Yet I'm passing still. Hmm. And I got into Georgetown without your name or my extra training being noted. Also, since you don't have formal custody papers, I can go on financial aid." His father stiffened. "They can consider me an orphan since nothing anywhere says you're my father. Even if it is true, without the legal paperwork they consider me kicked out at sixteen. By their definition I'm living with a nice person who has a spare bedroom. That makes me an independent student and able to sign for my own financial aid. Which means I can live in the dorms and still eat." His father started to move and he caught his arm. "You haven't made your case yet, Jethro. You don't get to start this fight and stomp off like a girl. I'm the gay one."

Jethro moved the hand off his arm and looked at his son. "Don't do that. I'm just as trained as you are to react."

"Then maybe we should go at it so you quit worrying like Ducky's mom."

"Why does she worry about you?"

"She thinks I'm her other son."

"He died when he was twenty-three."

"Yeah, what a shock. You wanna go, we'll go."

"Not here. Work."

"Fat chance. Not with Sheppard there. She'll nark."

"Will you ever forgive her?"

"No," he said simply. "Never. Just think if she hadn't narked I might be the delicate little boy you think I am."

"I knew you weren't delicate when you refused to go to the nearest hospital after Angel attacked you." He nodded. "We'll go home and do it in the woods."

"Fine." He swallowed. "If I win?"

"Then I might unground you by the end of this year."

"I don't see how I deserve it for you having signed it and me going to do something fun and non-violent. That's what you want, isn't it? Me to be a normal guy?"

"I'd love it but you're angrier than anyone I've ever met."

"Then I'll let you have protection and I won't use a weapon." Gibbs nodded and they left. He waved at the motel owner. "I'll be back." That got a nod.

"No you won't."

"Yeah, I will. Especially if the unreasonable shit continues."

"Quit swearing."

"I think I've earned the right."

"I don't. I know Marines who've fought in three wars who don't swear as much as you."

"I don't swear unless I'm mad."

"Yeah, and?"

"Never mind." He looked out the window. They parked and he looked at the mustang, than at him. "Needed backup?"

"He was worried about you. You didn't call."

"Of course I didn't. I'm not going to tell the fucking nark anything when he's on your side and you're being unreasonable."

"Woods, son." Xander sighed and put his jacket on the hood of the car, heading that way to pick the spot. "DiNozzo, we're going to talk in the woods. Keep the dog in there. With you." He walked off, following him. His son finally stopped and turned to face him. It wasn't a great clearing but it was enough and there weren't too many natural weapons laying on the ground. He waved. "Come on."

"You wanted it," Xander told him. "I don't attack first." Gibbs looked shocked at that. "Hmmm. Been listening to your bitch again? That was her issue last week." He waved him on. "Come on. You think I'm helpless, prove it." Gibbs attacked and Xander blocked him, driving him back for a few steps then being driven back. He let himself fall into the same mindset he used when he was sparring in class, give and take, defending his side of the clearing but not trying to take more ground. His father started to sweat and he realized he was, spin kicking and ducking back, taking the opportunity to take off his shirt and wipe off his face. He still used it to block the next blow and drove him back a few more steps before tossing it off to the side. He saw someone else coming and called out in a common demon tongue, knowing that there were a few demons in these woods. "We're only sparring." He winced as one kick got through then attacked faster, letting it go now. All the anger and rage got tapped into and a little bit drained while he drove his father back. He finally stood his ground, body in a ready stance, watching his opponent. His father panted, staring at him. "Satisfied?"

"What did you call out?"

"I thought it was one of the wood demons. I warned him we're sparring."

Jethro nodded. "You got a few good hits in but you were still pulling your punches."

"I don't when my life is in danger."

"I realize that," he said, looking at his son. "Relax, we're done."

"Hold," Tony called. Xander relaxed and stretched against a tree. "Good job."

"Still think I'm too big a princess to look out for myself?" he sneered, grabbing his shirt and shaking it clean before putting it back on. He looked at his father. "I'm going back to Cancun tonight. Anything else?"

His father stood up. "You can have that same sort of fun up here, son."

"No, I can't. Surprisingly enough I can't." He bowed, making it look sardonic. "Now if you'll excuse me I need to pack my shit."

"You're not leaving," Gibbs said, blocking him. He looked into his eyes. "You're still not letting all that rage out."

"You're alive, that would be a true statement." He looked at his father. His father backed off. "Anything else? I'll be back in time for school."

"No, you can hit school Monday. Until then we're going to talk, Xander. You need it."

"No, I don't. You need to start seeing some reality, Jethro. I'm not a baby!"

"You proved that very well but you still don't have the emotional control you need to keep yourself from hurting someone." He moved closer again and his son backed off. "That's not going to work forever."

"Yay." He walked around them and headed inside to pet his dog. "I'm sorry I left you with him for so long, Blackie. Maybe you can come to Mexico with me." His dog gave him adoring looks and followed him up to his room, where he started to pack again. His dog gave him pitiful looks. "You're coming." The dog laid down and Xander put his favorite bone into the bag too, getting a happy bark. "He'd yell at you for doing natural things," he sighed, sitting down to pet him. "Like you needing out when he's got you locked in the basement with the boat." The dog crawled into his lap, letting him cuddle him. "I love you too, dog. You're a good friend." Someone tapped. "No."

"It's me," Tony called.

"The answer's still the same."

The door opened. "I came in to give you this," he offered, handing back the pocket knife. "I got it off Kate."

Xander put it into the bag. "Thank you." He looked at him. "Anything else."

Tony closed the door. "You're destroying him, Xander. He's already lost one family. He's already lost a few exes too."

"That's not my fault," he said quietly.

"In this case it's both your faults. You're stronger than his exes were. You can get him past this point; that point is what drove them off too."

Xander shook his head, looking down at his dog. "I'm not a wife. I'm his son. I'm not helpless. I'm not weak. I'm angry because he's taken away every single way I had of letting it out. Even after that I'm not out of it."

"How were you wearing it out?" he asked, moving a suitcase and sitting on the foot of his bed, resting against the footboard.

"Before, I'd go lube myself mentally with a few drinks and let it phase out with some music and fun."

"Okay. And he stopped that?" Xander nodded. "Do you understand why?"

"It's not like it was a habit!"

"If you were doing it more than once a month, it was."

"I didn't have set intervals, just when things started to overload me. I went nearly a whole semester once without needing it." He looked down again, going back to petting his dog. "You need brushed."

"He didn't I'm sure. So he stopped it because that's the first rationalization on the road to alcoholism." Xander glared at him. "It is. You've seen it up close and personal."

"That's why I'd never turn into them. Yeah, maybe two or three times a month I had four, five drinks. That's all. I didn't get shitfaced drunk and if I got too loose I stopped myself. I told you this."

"You did," he agreed. "I'm making sure you remember it. What was the second way?"

"Sex."

"Which can be dangerous, especially with those you choose," he noted dryly, curling his feet up so he was more comfortable. "How many times have you gotten that one to work?"

"Four or five since I've been here," he admitted. "I was nearly there when you decided you should carry a club."

"If I had known I would've let you alone for an extra hour or so." He reached over to pet the dog. "What about earlier? You turned on the whoop ass switch on him."

"I did and it didn't work."

"That means that you've got it blocked and we've got to get rid of it before you become one of those things we hunt," he said quietly.

"I'm trying!" he shouted.

"I know you are," he agreed calmly and quietly. "Calm down. You're upsetting your dog." Xander calmed himself down and went back to petting his dog again. "Thank you." He swallowed. "If I took you to a really great brothel and let ten, twelve people have you, could you wear it out?"

"I honestly don't know. With the way you drug me out of there it added to it and I was already at the overload spot with that one kid."

"What kid?"

"I stopped one of my fellow seniors from raping three girls he had tied up."

"Good. Excellent job," he praised calmly. "You wanted to kill him?"

"I nearly killed him. That's when I realized I was overloaded again."

"You need better sensors." He stood up. "Come on. Leave this. He's not going to touch it."

"I don't think I can."

"Why? You've trusted me for years now, Xander."

"Yeah, and then you pulled me out of there like I'm some brainless little child who doesn't know what I was doing." He looked down at his dog. "You broke the trust I had."

"Are you going on a one-strike policy?"

"No. Not at the moment," he said honestly.

"Then trust me for today." He wiggled his fingers. "Come on. Let the dog nap in the luggage." Xander put down his dog. "Blackie, I'll bring him back and he'll cuddle." The dog barked so he smiled and petted him. "I promise. I'll bring him back and he'll be okay." He opened the door, finding Jethro in the halls. "I'll have him back in a few hours, boss." He walked Xander out. "Come on." He took Xander out to his car. "Open the glove box and put on the mask," he ordered as he pulled out.

"It's a secret?"

"Yup." Xander sighed but did as ordered. Tony took him where he went when the world went over his head and he felt like he was drowning. He checked the blindfold, finding the boy nearly asleep. "Xander, we're here. Keep it on." Xander nodded, letting him get out and come around to help him out. "You're going to talk to someone who's very experienced in this stuff. I trust this person with my soul. Do you understand?" Xander hesitated but nodded. "Good. This isn't very common for me but now and then I've got to come here too. I start to feel like I'm drowning." Xander sighed and slumped, nodding. "You are never to get this bad again, Xander. You'll have a lot of other options once this is out of you." He walked him inside and handed the bouncer something. His key was checked and got a nod. "This is Xander. He's Gibbs' son." Xander made a protesting noise. "Total honesty, Xander. I mean it. No one here will say anything."

"Okay," he said quietly.

"Good boy." The bouncer nodded and let him into a room to wait. Tony nodded at the person coming in. "This is Xander."

"So I was told." He sat down. "Why bring him to me?"

"He's to the point of drowning. His usual methods aren't working. He's tried both and it's not working. I interrupted one but that was after probably three hours in an orgy."

"I've been to that point," he admitted. "The other?"

"Some mental lube and letting it out while he had fun. His father stopped that one."

"That's what some good parents do. Leave us." Tony nodded and backed out, leaving them. "Take it off." Xander took off the blindfold and checked his surroundings before him. "You're trained," he noted. "How?"

Xander sat across from him. "First, survival in a house of drunks. Then hunting in Sunnydale, I hunted with a slayer. Then I moved with my father and the CIA took me in for some pre-agent training." He looked at his hands. "Things just keep building and I can't let it go. Dad won't let me do it my way and the other way wasn't working this time." He looked up again. "Dad and I sparred earlier so I could prove to him I wasn't a helpless little person and I couldn't even wear it out that way," he admitted calmly. "I will end up hurting the next person who jumps me."

"Understood." He stood up and held out a hand. "Come. Tony trusts me," he said when his hand wasn't taken. "I can make you wear it out this time. Then you and Tony will work on how to relieve it more often so things quit piling up." Xander took his hand and stood up, walking out with him.

***
Part 3 by voracity
Tony walked Xander back into the house, guiding the sleepy boy up to his room. He found everything back in place where it should be and all the laundry cleaned and put away. Even if the dog was on the bed. He put the boy onto his side and took off his shoes, getting a sleepy mumble. "You sleep, Xander, then we'll talk," he whispered. Xander nodded and clutched his dog like a teddybear. He walked out, closing the door. He turned and found Gibbs there. "Downstairs."

"Where did you take him?"

"To the person who helps me when I get overloaded. Downstairs." He headed that way, getting a beer on the way. He took his usual spot on the stairs, letting Gibbs go past him and sit down in the old recliner in the basement. "He was overloaded. So strongly that he fought back for a few minutes," he admitted, popping it open. He took a drink and put it beside him. "He's better now."

"How?"

Tony shrugged. "However he decided was best. I don't know. I don't need to know. I know how it works for me and I know that we're going to have to help him learn to relieve that stuff sooner. He's storing stress from back in Sunnydale still, Gibbs." He clutched his hands and looked at him. "He was honest. He was going to hurt someone. Soon. He couldn't let enough of it go earlier with you." Gibbs nodded at that, taking a drink of his own beer. "He needs to quit categorizing. That's one problem I noticed. It's bordering on a different person when he's in danger or in a crisis, or even hunting, as opposed to what he's like in the normal life stuff. Then you caught the one thing that could make him explode and self-combust, his fear that he would never be good enough for you and that you were only humoring him or watching him to see what he was good for," he finished quietly, looking at him. "He's good on physical training, right?"

"They said field medicine, electronics, that stuff."

"That might be a good idea. He's got some tight bonds with some of them."

"He said he still talks to Patrick now and then," he admitted, taking another drink. "How long will this one last?"

"Depends on how strong the desire and the need to protect and hunt get. With the battle coming up he's worried about that. He was right about one thing. He hasn't had a lot of fun this year," he said quietly. "Last year he got to play a lot more than this year. He's had some hellish classes that he spent a number of nights awake studying for. He didn't understand a word they said. He was parroting it back. That's how he settled it to minimize the stress before he snapped then. This semester, his gay art class isn't very happy for him. It's not linking with what he thinks it means to be gay so he's frustrated and railing against the teacher." Gibbs nodded slowly at that. "That could be a clash of ideals. It could be that the teacher is going on and on about how it's wrong and that stuff. How this is perverted the art world, which he does about every Monday."

"He has it Monday and Thursday."

"Uh-huh," he agreed, picking up his beer to take a drink. "Then you add into it the stress of finding those three girls tied up and no one wanting to listen to him. Until he forced one of the security guards in there at gun point. Then he believed him and called someone. They identified the student and Xander pointed him out for the cops, which meant the kid came after him when he made bail. So there's an assault charge added later on that got it revoked." He took another swallow and put it back down. "Then the pressure Sheppard is subtly putting on him about being a disgrace to you because he's gay and being trained by them. On top of our cases, which he helps with whenever he's in. Plus the stuff with Kate and Ari." He pressed his lips together and looked around then back at him. "Kate said he was wondering what kids who cut themselves get out of it but he wasn't going to go there. I'm going to add a yet if he ever gets this bad again."

"Would me not letting him go back there help?"

"I honestly don't know," he admitted. "To him that's like Job Corps."

"Oh." He finished his beer and reached over, taking Tony's to finish. "Anything else?"

"Since the thing with the rapist, none of his playmates will play with him. He's been flying solo and going to hang with the goth kids more often. Then again, they know who he really is and it's possible that it could put him in more danger if certain...things found out. For right now, I think he needs the rest. He hasn't had any recently," he offered. "Then he needs a good meal. Then he needs his father back because you've gotten to the same point you did with your exes, Gibbs. To the point where you're pushing him away. It's not helping him any. He was more than serious. He will move and they'll have him back within a few days. You'll lose your son the same way you lost the others." Gibbs glared at him. "I'm being honest, Gibbs. Did you want me to coddle you when I can't do it to Xander?"

"You could. He's always went to you."

"That's because you're this scary guy who expects things from him. I'm only the fantasy he's had for a while. My praise means as much as yours does to him but for different reasons. You don't praise. If he gets some from you it's as rare as an eclipse."

"That's how..."

"I know. That's how you were raised and trained. I get that. He gets that. That's why he looks to others for praise and encouragement. Namely me." He took a deep breath. "Some day he'll find some nice guy who'll take my place. He'll break the crush and he'll move on. Then we'll all breathe easier as long as he's a nice guy. Until then, we've got to find a way for him to release that. Without killing him."

"Then we do what?"

"Then we support him just like we do any other kid, Gibbs. He's just a normal senior. He wants to have fun. He wants to date and do fun stuff and get into mild trouble. We're doing a good job for the most part. You're an incredible father. Up until things started to pile up and no one but McGee noticed."

"How did he know?"

"I asked, he mumbled something about his junior year in college. I'm guessing even the huge geek brain of his got overloaded there for a bit. Your son's had a course load that has broken others."

"He has. I'm proud of him. I told him that."

"Yeah, but by the time you told him that he was already halfway to drowning, Gibbs. He needs to relax. That's why he wanted to go to Cancun." He heard a door slam. "I think he's up. Or he could be gone now." He got out of the way while Gibbs checked, smiling when the sounds of a grumpy Xander being walked back to bed floated down. Gibbs came back ten minutes later. "He good?"

"Fast asleep." He flopped down again, looking at him. "Would this be the cause of headaches?"

"Either that or he needs glasses. Ask him later." He shrugged. "He'll probably answer. He should be in a more pliant and reasonable mood later if you would be. If you stress him back out again, he'll snap and leave." He stood up. "I can stay if you want."

"Please. I think we need a neutral being."

"Sure, but I'm not going to be neutral. You heard him earlier. He didn't come to me because I went down there for you. I nearly lost his trust totally."

"So you're like his mom?" he asked dryly.

"Not hardly. He's not got anything Freudian in him." He gave him a look. "I'm the fantasy that he's had for years, Gibbs. Think back when you were a teenager. Didn't you have one?"

"Or two. A few movie stars." Tony just grinned. "You're not that cute."

"I know. Let me guess, Beach Blanket Bingo?"

"No comment." He shifted and listened to the house. "The dog's moving." Tony hopped up and went to check on him, letting him out to use the yard. Then he went back up there to cuddle with his master. Tony came back. "They good?"

"Blackie needed to use the yard." He sat down again, handing Gibbs the beer he had gotten on his way through the kitchen, popping his own. "He's still fast asleep. It's time to set some priorities with him, boss."

"I want him to try his best in school and be happy. If the training isn't, then he doesn't have to go back. I'm against him going back."

"He knows." He took a sip and looked at him. "What about his internships?"

"If he wants. If not, I'd like it if he got some sort of summer job."

"That's reasonable but I'm sure he'd rather travel."

"Probably. He seems to like to travel."

"The world is a wide and wonderful place. What you got in the Marines going to different places, he goes without the troop around him."

"I had plenty of times wandering on my own," he admitted. "I liked to travel."

"Then go with him. Take a family vacation. You were thinking about taking one, take one."

"He seems to like to go places with you."

"I wouldn't mind if you went with me," Xander admitted as he came down. He took Tony's beer to sip, grimacing. "Nasty cheap crap. The beer in Ireland is better."

"It's always better when it's native," Tony noted, grinning at him. "Have a good nap?" Xander nodded, resting against his shoulder. "We good again?"

"I'm still mad you busted in there like you owned me. Until you're sinking into my ass every day, you don't have that right."

"Agreed. Next time I'll show a lot more tact."

"Thank you." Xander yawned and snuggled in. "Sorry, I'm still really tired."

"You can nap. We can talk in the morning."

"You paid for the room."

"So it'll go to someone else who could use it for the night," he offered. He leaned forward. "If you're that tired, go to sleep, son."

"If I do, I'll have more nightmares." He blinked hard. "Sorry."

"What nightmares?"

"I had some math numbers attacking me last night." He shrugged. "It happens."

Gibbs got up and came to stand his son up, looking at him. "Nightmares?" Xander shrugged. "Fighting, hunting nightmares? Training nightmares? Ari nightmares?"

"D, all of the above?" Tony guessed. Xander nodded, sitting down again. "Then we can work on those. What else is keeping you from working right?"

"I don't know," he admitted, sounding tired now. "Must we do this?"

"I told you to go take a nap and we'd talk tomorrow," Gibbs reminded him. "You're the stubborn one." Xander gave him a dirty look. "Let's narrow this down. Do you want to go back there for training this summer?" Xander shrugged. "Is that an I don't care or I don't know?"

"I don't know. I may not care. I need what they're going to teach me and they'll pay for my college."

"I think we can work that out through the financial aid department, son."

"Still need it," he noted.

"You could learn it in college or from Ducky for the field medicine stuff."

"No I can't. Ducky talks too much and I'm a hands-on guy." He yawned again and rested against Tony's shoulder, making him smile. "For me?"

"Yup, just for you." He put an arm around him, letting him snuggle in properly. "This is your choice. Do you want to go back there to train this summer?"

"I don't know. So many things are going wrong."

"I know. What did you tell them?"

"That."

"Okay. Then how about we go somewhere together?" Gibbs suggested. "After graduation and after the mess in Sunnydale is over with." Xander perked up some at that. "Wherever you want to go. You've earned it and that can be your graduation present instead of the new electronics I was going to get you."

Tony nudged him. "He was going to replace your tv and your stereo if you wanted."

"Can we hit somewhere in Asia? Somewhere kinda mysterious but with places to look and go 'ooh' over?"

"We can," Gibbs agreed. "We'll figure that out. Take a week off." Xander grinned at that and his stomach clenched. He hadn't seen that smile all year. "You were right, I shouldn't have let Tony come down there like that. Those were my orders to drag you off." Xander yawned and nodded. "Now, about this moving out crap?"

"Are you going to stay reasonable?"

"I'd like to try."

"Then I'll stay." He closed his eyes. "I need a new boyfriend."

"I heard." Gibbs leaned forward, tugging on his pantsleg. "You can talk to me about that stuff too you know." Xander nodded. "Older guys?"

"Not greatly older. Just slightly older so they're more steady and can still have fun." He closed his eyes again. "They're nicer and they're more gentle and they don't do juvenile shit like play games with me."

"Who did that?" Gibbs asked.

"I ended up going out with mega-jock man, Bryon."

"The guy from the first day of school?" Tony asked. Xander nodded. "What happened?"

"It was okay for a few weeks then he decided he wanted to play. We played now and then with some handcuffs and he added a blindfold that night. I wasn't supposed to know it wasn't him. I could tell it wasn't him. He wasn't as loose and his blow job didn't suck as well. No pun intended. Bryon gives crappy blows. I'm better and I have to fight my gag reflex. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Bryon taped it because I heard the camera's case click shut and the tape buttons being pushed. Then I got a second blow that was definitely him. I faced down the other kid a few weeks later and pointed out that if he had wanted me all he had to do was ask nicely and go out with me. He freaked, Bryon is making my life a living hell with the other jocks. The other gay kids are calling me a slut." He shrugged. "Not like I slept with a teacher."

"No, you didn't. You passed those classes without it and I'm proud," Gibbs assured him. "I only wanted you to try the best you could, Xander." Xander gave him a gentle, soft smile. "Did you kick Bryon's ass?"

"In front of two other jocks and one really gossipy cheerleader, who got the whole story and the tape is supposedly destroyed. But it's still ruining both our reps."

"I'm sorry. At least there's only a few more months to go."

"Yup and I'll be back in Sunnydale."

"Not unless there's no other way," Gibbs said firmly.

Xander looked at him. "Are you volunteering a few companies of Marines?" He shook his head. "Then I'll be back in Sunnydale for a few days." He closed his eyes again. "I've done the battle plans and sent them over."

"I saw. They were good. Willow wanted advice in moving something depending on where they face him down."

Xander snuggled in and wrapped his arms around his pillow's waist. "He'll do it during the eclipse. Graduation day."

"It is?" Tony asked. Xander nodded. "Where will the Mayor be?"

"I'm thinking there. It'll be the only place that'll have people he can eat because he's going to be a hungry giant demon."

"How do you kill it?"

"Rip it apart."

"How?" Gibbs asked again.

"I don't know yet. Depends on if he's going to be at graduation or not. And what we can sneak in. Tired, go over that tomorrow."

"Okay. Are you sure about Georgetown?" Xander nodded. "Did they accept you? I haven't seen a letter."

"I hung it on the fridge."

"It wasn't there that I've seen."

"Stupid bastards who're training me," he muttered. "They sent me a card."

"I'm going to kick their asses, son, you mind?" He shook his head. "Good. Then there's about to be some ground rules set." He got up. "Want to sleep under the boat?"

"It'll fall on me."

"It doesn't on me."

"It likes you. I've had to sand corners down because you're mean to my dog."

"Point. Let's get you somewhere more horizontal."

"Bad nightmares."

"I'll go get my DVD player and a few movies. You can nap on the couch and we'll sit in there, how about that?" Tony offered quietly. Xander shrugged. "Action?"

"Sleepy girly movies?"

"Son, if I'm going to watch them they can't be that girly."

"I know what to get." Xander let him go and trudged that way, the dog following him. He didn't like the basement anymore apparently. Tony stood up. "Classics? Bogart?"

"That'd be fine," he decided. "I'll make dinner. You get a bag of chips." Tony nodded. "Get more beer too?"

"Sure, boss." He went to do that. Gibbs went up to let his son nap on his thigh, it was keeping him calm and keeping some of the nightmares away. For now.

***

Kate looked up as Tony and Gibbs came in together the next morning. "Why does it look like neither of you slept?"

"Because his son has PTSD so bad he's not sleeping more than thirty minutes at a time," Tony told her. "Even if we were." She groaned. "He's fine now. We've worked it out. He'll be in later to help Abby in the lab for a few hours since his class is entirely on break but him and two others. Then they're going to lunch and comparing lists of where in Asia Xander might want to go to for his trip from his father for graduation."

"Are we still getting him ours?" McGee asked. Gibbs nodded. "Is he okay now?"

"No. He's in because I've got to go to Langley and set down some boundaries. They took his acceptance letter off the fridge." He finished what he needed to do. "New case?"

"Not yet. We'll call you," Kate promised. He nodded and headed out with his coffee and his sidearm. She looked at Tony. "That bad?"

"Um, yeah. Oh, Probie, can you mark it on our calenders that we have to have the fifteenth off? Xander's got to testify in the trial of the rapist he stopped at school and then was assaulted by."

"Excuse me?" the director asked from the stairs behind him. "The boy did what?"

Tony turned his chair around to look at her. "He walked into an empty classroom to have a moment of peace and quiet and found three tied up girls, Director. He had to get pushy to get anyone to believe him. If I heard right he pulled his sidearm on the guard and made him go in there to check with him. That got the girls an ambulance and the police. The police used him to point out which kid when they identified the suspect by name. Xander pointed him out during lunch. Everyone there knows he's Fed Junior, as they put it, so that part didn't get him into trouble but the kid made bond and came after him. Xander kicked his ass when the kid pulled a knife and had him rearrested. His trial's starting the tenth and they're expecting to need Xander on the fifteenth. Since this is his first one, his father thought he could use the moral support and some coaching. Plus some wardrobe help so he doesn't wear the kilt in."

"Kilt?" she asked.

"Abby talked him into it," Kate said, waving a hand. "She helped him buy one in her grandmother's tartan and made him wear it one day last year during his internship." Tony produced a picture. "Of course you have one."

"Of course I do. I also have one of him with his certificate that we took well after the day was over with." He handed it over. "That kilt."

She took it to look over. "I wondered why there was an amendment to the local office's dress code that said no kilts, no leather, and no mesh tank tops."

"Abby had taken Xander shopping during lunch. Since he didn't have a locker, all he had was the leather and t-shirts or a mesh tank top she had made him buy," McGee told her happily, smiling even. "He does look quite lethal in it."

"He does. He's also looking for a new boyfriend. Since that incident and the thing with Kate, all his friends have quit playing with him," he told McGee. "So if you know a guy about my age..."

"I'll pass that to some friends. I do actually know a few gay guys your age." He shook his head and typed out an email, sending it to his other account so he could send it later.

"He goes for older men?" Kate asked. Tony nodded. "I thought it was just you."

"No, he said it'll give him a bit more security and they don't do juvenile crap like some of the other kids he's dated. He's looking for someone about ten steps down from the daddy figure."

"Okay, so slightly older and still fun enough to play with him, but old enough to have gotten the player genes worked out already?" Tony nodded. "Don't you know a few?"

"Straight ones. I don't know very many gay guys and most of the bi ones I know are in relationships. Which is what he's after. He's thinking years ahead of his time at the moment." She smiled at that. "Come up with a list for Gibbs. Xander wants to go somewhere fun and slightly mysterious but that has good places to wander and wonder at. He's thinking Asia."

"Gibbs would freak over Singapore being suggested," the director said, shaking her head. "Where is he? I know he came in."

Tony looked at her again. "He's going to set some ground rules with the bastards who're training his son during the summers. They've done things like take his acceptance letter off the fridge and put another teacher into the school. So part of Langley's basement may be on fire within an hour. Then again, they did teach Xander how to make explosives."

"Is that how Abby got those for that experiment?" McGee asked, looking confused. "All I remember was she grinned and said it was a private contact. I always wondered who made clay animals out of plastic explosives."

Tony nodded. "Yeah, I asked him later that night. They taught him how to make all sorts of plastic explosives in the kitchen. Including the official formulas and things. Supposedly he passed with flying colors."

The director moaned and headed off again. "No wonder. They made his son Rambo."

"Worse," Kate called. "He was Rambo back where he grew up. Now he's worse because he's got training behind it." She looked at Tony. "If he's allowed to go, what's this summer?"

"Field medicine, more electronics, and more computers. They won't do more weapons stuff since the rest is classified and he's not going to work with them." They shared a look. "Then he'll come back here for another internship and some field lessons since he'll be eighteen at that time."

"No he won't be."

"Gibbs said he was," Tony called back. The director came back down and glared at him. "Gibbs said so and Morrow said so, ma'am. Xander wants to work here once he graduates all his college training. He might be down in the lab with Abby now. That's where he spent most of last summer. She even trusts him to run tests without her supervision now." She groaned at that. "I think she got him certified and everything in at least one field."

"Wonderful. So this summer is what sort of lessons?"

"Starting with the field lessons," Gibbs said as he joined them. "Why?" He looked at her. "Problems with that too?"

"Is that wise, Jethro? He'll be eighteen, let him have some fun."

"He'll have plenty of fun. I'm only going to let him work three days a week."

"Was his last one paid?"

"No, the training program pays him a stipend." He put his coffee cup down and looked at McGee. "Got any emails yet? They weren't there."

He checked both accounts and nodded. "I did. They said they're hiding from you. If he wants to come back, he's due by July 12th. If not, they'll come talk to him. They do say that they are sorry they broke in to check his acceptance letters and they're courier-ing them over for you." He looked at his boss. "And again they're very sorry."

"They certainly are," Tony agreed dryly. "That was probably written by the same genius who sent the blonde girl after him."

"Probably," Gibbs agreed dryly, sitting down. "Tell them I'll tell him that. We're going to somewhere in Asia."

"Singapore, boss?" Tony asked with a grin.

"Not a *bad* idea. A bit dangerous but he proved he could handle himself against me yesterday. I only got in four or five really good blows. Speaking of, was his knee bruised?"

"I didn't see one this morning when he was wandering around in his boxers."

"Huh. He didn't bruise on the one side strike I got in either." He nodded, looking impressed. "My son is very tough. I'm proud of that alone. Afterward was about as close to the warm fuzzies Abby talks about as I'll ever get."

"Hell I'm proud. He held himself against you," Tony said dryly. "You should've seen it, Kate. All the training they gave him last summer shows. Very well."

"He still tried to stake me twice," Gibbs pointed out.

"True, but that's his past showing, boss."

"Hmm. Japan you think?"

"No, and not Korea or Vietnam either," Tony reminded him.

"How about Jakarta or Thailand?" McGee suggested. "Go with the old faiths and the old ways? He seems to follow Wicca fairly closely."

"He does," Gibbs agreed, considering it. "Isn't one of them near revolt?"

"Check the State Department, Jethro," the director sighed. "Should I tell Morrow he'll be there?"

"I told him it was up to him," he said, looking over at her. "He has the full right to that decision, the same as he has the right to decide if he wants to do a summer during college so they'll pay for Georgetown for him."

"Hey, boss, I was wondering. How much is his stipend?" McGee asked.

"Ten grand a summer," Tony said blandly. "They pay more when they know they're breaking the law." They all looked at him. "It's not legal to teach someone to make semtex."

"It's not," Gibbs agreed. "He did get the full stipend last summer as well. Plus he spent about three thousand hours working with Abby. He earned it." Tony grinned at that. "Yes, they're eternally cute together but he still can't wear eyeliner in the lab."

"But he looks so cute as King Goth," McGee teased.

"Where was I that day?" Kate asked.

"In the bathroom. It was the day before the kilt." He frowned. "Thinking back, he did tell Morrow that he could pull off a kilt but not her skirts." Gibbs snickered at that and the director moaned, going back to her office. "I showed her the picture, boss."

"You still have it?"

"Yeah, I've got a few Xander blackmail pictures in my desk."

"Let me see." Tony gathered them up and carried them over, leaving the three sexy ones in there. "The others?"

"Umm. Kinda kinky Xander in those, boss." One was held up. "That was for a play at a club." He got the others and handed them over. Gibbs took one look at the top one and handed it to Kate, who whimpered and handed it back picture side down. "He's cute and shirtless in that one," he defended. "You could tell he shaved for swim season." He let McGee have it, watching him blush. "Abby took it, they were dressing up to hit a goth rave. Those are her straps he's hanging onto and her twinkly lights backlighting him." He took the others back, weathering the odd look. "I'm handing them to your future grandchild so we can have them get back at him for all the angst he put us through." He took the other one back and put them back into his desk.

"I might be dead by the time I have grandchildren," Gibbs pointed out. "Hopefully so." He shuddered. "With his luck, they'll be little Republican clones. Or accountants."

"Then I'll definitely get to get him back for all the raves I got drug to as the chaperone, boss." Tony gave him a slightly manic look. "You know that jingle that you keep swearing at because it won't go away in your head? I've got a few techno songs like that now. They're good and all but did you know your son had the soundtrack to Mortal Kombat?"

"No, I didn't. The movie?"

"Yeah, that one." He shook his head quickly. "I keep hearing the 'pick a character' song that was on the movie and the game."

"I can smack you if you think it'll help," Kate offered with a sweet grin. Her computer beeped and she looked at the IM that had just popped up. "Abby's in the security system again, Gibbs. She said only she gets to spank Tony or Xander. That they're both her puppies to spank with a rolled up newspaper."

Gibbs called down there. "They want you back by July 12th if you're going back. If you're not there they'll come talk to you. All the stuff they took is being sent back today and they moved before I could blow them up. Thank you. Now get back to work and quit playing with the security system." He hung up. "Abby's telling him." McGee squeaked. "He hack you again?"

"Yes!" He pouted and locked his system but Xander unlocked it on him and sent him an IM saying he needed to change his password. It was well past the dirty underwear that had brown spots stage. He gaped. "I know she's got the poster that says 'passwords are like underwear' but really!"

Tony laughed. "He got me the other day from home. Don't feel bad." His computer was taken over. "Hey, Willow's on." He typed back at her and she left. "He keeps leaving his laptop on, boss."

"It won't shut off without never coming back on."

"Graduation is when?" Tony asked.

"Two months," he offered,"why?"

"When is Sunnydale's?"

"A week earlier. Again, why?"

"Giving him his present early, just in case?" he suggested quietly.

"It won't be in for another week," McGee offered, "but I can deal with his laptop and loan him a system if he needs one."

"Everything's saved down onto his," Gibbs assured him. His system got taken over and he typed in a message to Willow, getting questions on strategies. "Crap. He's speaking at Graduation." He called the lab. "Willow's on my system, Xander." He hung up and came jogging up the stairs, moving him to type at her. He sighed and nodded. "Well?"

"I'll have to go back. That just screwed my battle plan all to hell."

"Is that a terrorist activity?" the director yelled from her doorway.

"There's going to be an unknown being attacking my former school's graduation, Director. I'm helping." He went back to typing, getting an okay and a promise that she'd leave the NCIS systems alone. He smiled at his father. "Well...." He walked off, then came back and looked at him and put a tape down before walking away. "Abby said I can stay with her tonight."

"You're going home and brushing your mangy beast, again," Gibbs ordered, looking at the tape. He held it up and Tony nodded. So he found a tape recorder, took Tony's headphones off his discman in his desk, and went to listen to it outside.

"Now where did he go?" the director complained a few minutes later.

"He's listening to something Xander made for him," Tony said quietly. "What did you need?"

"Staff meeting about the upcoming budget."

"I go to those," Kate assured her, getting up and grabbing some paper and a pen. The director did not look amused. "Do you really expect Gibbs to deal with that?"

"He's team lead."

"So?" She shrugged. She walked past her. "Main conference room?"

"Yes," she complained, following her. "Any other delegations I should know about?"

"McGee handles all admin paperwork since he's the probie," Tony said with a happy grin. "I handle all awards related things."

"Does that mean you did go to get Xander's?" McGee asked. Tony nodded. "Cute."

"I fueled a great many adolescent fantasies that day. Half the girls and most of the guys drooled. It was a good day," he said smugly. "I can delegate that to you if you want."

"No thanks. Public speaking is not my thing." They shared a look. He looked up. "Oh, Director, we need a new coffeemaker. One of Ducky's and Abby's experiments ate the last one."

"How?"

"I'm not sure and those things I'd rather not know," he admitted honestly. "Those two with Xander helping and egging them on is a horrible thing to unleash on the world."

"Remember the pink foam last summer?" Tony joked.

"Don't remind me, please?" he begged. "I nearly got eaten by the pink foam of doom. If we have another month like that without cases, I'll help them rent a place to experiment in peace."

"Pink foam of doom?" she asked.

"Abby wanted to figure out how to make a foam index, like they have for paint samples? So she and Xander, with a bit of help from Ducky and a reluctant Mr. Palmer, the autopsy gremlin...."

"Hey!" McGee protested. "He's a nice guy."

"He is but he's really strange. Anyway they made up and tested all sorts of foam. Including some that was like the baby of party foam that they use at clubs and fire retardant foam. It did nearly eat McGee." McGee put his head down. "The most fun was when they sprayed that capture foam and then ice skated on it when they added liquid nitrogen blasts."

"True," McGee said, turning his head just enough to smirk at him. "That was fun and Gibbs nearly fell on his ass. I liked that one." He put his face back down.

"If we have another month without cases, I'll send you on vacation," the director promised. "With Abby." She headed up to her budget meeting with a quick stop to take something for her new headache. She walked in and found only one team lead. Two senior agents, and two secondary senior agents waiting on her. She called the others and sat down to wait for a few minutes. "Are these always like this?" They all nodded. "Is that the paperwork issue?"

"Gibbs started it and our bosses decided they had too much to do too, ma'am," one said, smiling at her. "Oh, Ducky, Xander's in," he offered when he walked in.

"I saw him and he looked well rested for once," he agreed, shaking his hand with a smile. "How are the wife and kiddies?"

"Doing wonderful. That root extract you suggested worked wonders on her hair. Thank you, Ducky." He smiled at the others as they came in. "Be nice to the director, guys. She thought Gibbs went to budget meetings." That got some polite laughs but they settled in to work on this.

***

Gibbs walked up to where Tony was having lunch, leaning down to get into his face. "You'd be good for him. If you and he do make a go of it, I won't complain, but if you hurt him I will rip you apart cell by cell. Are we understood?" Tony gave him a hesitant nod. He let him listen to the last few minutes and Tony moaned. "I know you were drunk too. I don't care. If it happens, you'd be good for him. You've been very good to him the whole time he's been with me. So if you and he do try I'll be cheering you on and won't say a word. If you can't make it work, then you had better not hurt him." He went to the counter to get his own lunch and came back. "You can give that back to him. I know it's special."

"Um, yeah," he said quietly. "I don't remember saying that," he admitted after a few more bites.

"It's your voice. I've heard you drunk before."

Tony listened to it again. "It definitely is me. I didn't think I did, Gibbs. I'm sorry if this warped your view of me somehow."

"No. It's comforting. If something happens to me, you'll be there for each other and help each other over your grief. That's what I'd want." Tony nodded at that and ate another bite. "Just make him happy if it does happen."

"It probably won't."

"Not saying you should do it today. I don't think he's ready for you yet." Tony nodded that he agreed since he was chewing. "But if it does. Now, what happened at the budget meeting?"

"I don't know. Kate does that."

"Good point. Good beef today," he offered, taking a bite.

"It is," Tony agreed, pushing the earlier talk into the back of his mind. He would think about that and how he had cooed and told Xander he loved him on the tape later.

***

Xander presented himself to the director's secretary, taking a cookie with a smile. "She summoned me?"

"She did. Let me see if she's done with the last one." She called in there. "Director, Xander is in. Sure I can feed him a few more cookies." She smiled and hung up. "She needs about another ten minutes, she's on a conference call."

"That's fine." He took another one with a wink. "So, I've been a good boy, right? Not too bad since the last time dad and I got into it a few weeks back?"

"As far as I know," she assured him. "Is your father in?"

"Tony is. Dad was down bugging Ducky the last I know."

"I'll save a few of them for them." The director opened her door. "Go ahead." Xander finished his last cookie as he walked in.

The director looked at him. "Thank you for dressing today."

"I dress every day. This is the stupid uniform for school." He sat down and looked at her, then licked off his fingers. "Sorry, she spoils me with cookies."

"That's fine," she agreed tolerantly. "Xander, I know it's distressing...."

"If you say you want to date my father, I will have to protest strongly. That could be counted as sexual harassment."

"I'd never think of it. Jethro made his opinions on that matter very clear." Xander nodded, letting her go on. "No, I was talking about your training. I had similar training early in my career and your father had to straighten out some of mine because I wasn't suited for field work at that time." She swallowed. "You know they want you back."

"I do. I'm not fully against that, just what they've done and our holiday schedule. I'm not sure when we're going yet."

"That's reasonable," she agreed calmly. "I know that you wanted to do a set on electronics this summer?"

"I've spent the last semester fixing my laptop. Tim's taught me some but he can't teach me much. He's a pre-formed circuit board guy."

"That's understandable," she agreed, smiling at him. "Field medicine?"

"I've already got some foundation in it and it's become necessary in the past. I instructed dad over the phone when Kate got shot."

"Interesting. Where were you?"

"Trying to talk myself out of killing Ari." She blinked a few times. "I saw the glint off his scope from class. They were only a block away. I got halfway up the fire escape when he shot her. I chose to cover him and call Dad."

"Good. It was the right choice." He raised an eyebrow. "That was not my decision to make nor did I have anything to do with his last episode of getting out."

"Is he still free?"

"No. He's in a mental health facility over there. They took the notes we wrote seriously. People higher than his contacts made that decision." They both knew that could change if he was found to be useful again but they also both knew if Jethro saw him, he'd be dead very quickly.

"Thank you for that."

"What about weapons?"

"I've gotten as high as I can go without them keeping me."

"That's fine. Explosives?" He nodded. "What would make you go higher in those?"

"Nothing. I want to go onto Tony's team when he takes over for dad some year."

"So you do have ambition to work here." Xander nodded. "That's good," she assured him. "That may be years though."

"I've still got to get through my college education and possibly a master's."

"Point," she decided. "If it takes longer than that?"

"Then I'll go work in a metro PD somewhere good and get more experience. I've already planned on doing some internships starting earlier than usual. With what I've learned here all they should have to do is file down some rough edges that I'll probably still have dealing with people."

"Wonderful. So you've got a realistic plan."

"I do. You still can't date my father, even if I move out."

"Not an issue, but what if he does start to date?"

"That's wonderful. I might even want a sibling. If she's like you or too greedy or a special agent in *that* way, because I do know one of my teachers came onto him to get me back, I would have to protest strongly. If dad likes her he'll listen and then make his own judgements."

"You're not against it?"

"He's had three of them that couldn't understand him. If the next one is better for him, I'm happy about it. Even if she is a raving bitch to me. She'll learn to get along."

"I'll keep that in mind. I did have a friend who wanted introduced." He stared her down and she shifted. "Normal friend, not in the business."

"That's fine then." He shrugged. "I don't think many of them would understand what he does and his drive to solve cases. That's probably what tanked the other three."

"It's entirely possible." She fussed some papers together. "What about your internship this year?"

"I leave that up to Dad."

"You're sure you want to do that?"

"Can you think of anyone else to mold me into an agent worthy of being on his and Tony's team?"

"No, I can't," she agreed. "Do you have conflicts?"

"We try very hard not to bring them into the office and when we have them, the other guys all try to help. Our last one Tony played mediator and pillow because I ended up falling asleep on him."

"I've noticed you've got a, um, crush on him."

"He's my wetest of wet fantasy," he said blandly. "He knows that. We all know that. Not too many people in the building don't know that. Dad isn't encouraging it but he is making me see reality about him. That way I'm not idealizing him."

"Good. Do you think it could harm your later placement?"

"No. I've already had to work with them on some really nasty scenes. In one case Tony came to get me out of class to help with one. Dad gave him funny looks but it was good for me."

"Good." She smiled. "So you don't have a problem working with them?"

"No. I never have."

"What about wild episodes? You do know that sometimes you've got to go undercover."

"And I'm pretty good at that," he pointed out dryly. "I have been. I've had to play bait in the past."

"Did anyone make note of that?"

"Yup and when someone dumb called Social Services about one of them dad told them it was my choice and he had protested, which he did. I pointed it out worked best that way and I was interning, plus we did have people listening to me and ready to rush in to save my poor gay ass."

"Good point. I suppose they didn't care that he doesn't have official paperwork?"

"Not really. He told them how bad my original parents were and they decided my former life had made it a problem, not him."

"Excellent. Have there been any other problems? At home or otherwise that I could help with?" He gave her another look and she forced herself not to fidget again. "I think that your father hasn't been focusing in the last few weeks. I wanted to know why."

"I've been under a great deal of stress. Last semester I had two incomprehensible classes that I did pass. I've got one frustrating me this time because the teacher says stupid shit while going over gay themes in art. I nearly slugged him the other day when he went off on a rant about gay people. I did raise my hand and speak up and point out that there were plenty of us in that school, including me, and if he felt the absolute need to smarm his opinion everywhere to go make a blog and leave us to study the art, not the societal stupidity of the moment. He stomped off in a huff."

"It's good that you stick up for yourself." She started to shift again and crossed her legs instead. "So everything's fine?" He nodded. "Why is your father worried?"

"Because the ones in Sunnydale who're are working on the problem are few and far between and this isn't something he can get other agencies into."

"We could."

"We can't. It's demonic." She laughed and he sighed, typing into her system to get the records of the op in Sunnydale. He ran the tape his father had first been shown and she went pale. "They went there to stop that group. That is a demon. Morrow had found me shortly before then and told Gibbs then, that's why he sent him."

"Oh my God," she breathed, pausing it. "That's...." She looked at him and he nodded. "That's not a costume?"

"No, that's a demon and there's going to be a hundred foot demon at graduation out there. I've been helping with the battle plans. Dad's worried I might have to take a more active role."

"Oh, no. If you do that you'll destroy him."

"If I don't that thing could destroy the world."

"Oh." She slumped. She minimized the screen. "Are you thinking you might have to?"

"I am. He isn't. He's not thrilled with the idea. It'll be attacking graduation so I might have to go."

"If you do, you let me know."

"I've already arranged to borrow someone's plane, Director."

"Planning is good. Is everything else all right?"

"Of course." He crossed his feet. "It's going just fine."

"I heard you and your father had a major fight."

"That was my stress versus his stress and his desire to see me as small, tiny, and helpless." Someone knocked. "Yeah, Tony?" He walked in. "New case?"

"Slime everywhere. Can you come see if it's demonic or not?"

"Sure." He stood up. "If we're done?"

"Of course. I hope that works out, Xander, and I do hope that you enjoy your internship."

"I did last time. I should this time." He nodded and walked out, stealing another cookie with a wink and Tony got one and took one for his dad too. Then he came back and got one for McGee, deciding to be nice and not pick all the visible chocolate chips out.

***

Xander answered his phone, giving his teacher a look. They were in homeroom waiting for senior skip day activities to start. "It's me, talk quick." He listened and nodded. "By tonight, Willow. Did you get the other stuff?" He gathered his bag back together. "On my way." He hung up and put his phone back. "Sorry, ma'am. Emergencies at my old home are necessitating me going there. The Headmistress already knows. Replace me on the tug of war team." He walked out, hitting his locker for the bag of stuff in there. He switched out cells and called his old friend. "Patrick, Xander. I need that lift now. Yeah, right now. Like immediately. They're going to go tomorrow and they've just discovered they don't have a clue. Thanks." He hung up and took off his blazer, putting on his gun harness and slipping his new gun into it. He saw one of the guards. "I'm heading." He checked and grabbed one last thing and his keys, heading out once the door was shut. The guard followed him. He peeked into the headmistress' office. "It's happened. They're clueless and wailing. I'm heading." She thought this was an exercise someone at NCIS had worked up to test his skills.

"Be safe," she said quietly. "Will you be fine?"

"I hope like hell." He ducked out and headed to his car, getting in and heading for the airport. By the time he got there, the plane was waiting and he had some new information to read. He texted his father and got comfortable, nodding at the stewardess. "I'm done."

"We're waiting orders for takeoff." He nodded and got comfortable.

***

Epilogue: first internship meeting.

Xander came off the plane and looked at the people around him. "Hmm, hotties all around," he murmured. He nodded at one of them, smiling when he got looked at. "Hi." He walked off to get his bag and headed out for a ride to his hotel. The hotel shuttle was pretty nice he decided. He pulled out his phone and called his father. "I'm in Miami and it is *full* of hotties," he said happily. "Yeah, like hotties everywhere. So maybe I can get some from an intelligent and hot guy, dad." He laughed at the grumbling. "But I lighten up the bad paperwork days, dad. Then hire a secretary. She can't refuse you it. You dislocated your wrist. Love you too and of course I'll be a good boy." He hung up and snuggled into the seat. It was a good day. He even got a whole day of spring break before his interview. He walked into the station and smiled at the receptionist. "I was told to meet Lieutenant Caine here today in about a half hour?" he offered, handing over his letter.

She smiled and paged him. "He'll be right down, sir. Go ahead and have a seat."

"Thanks." He sat down and made sure he was still lint, spot, and wrinkle free, looking up at the most gorgeous pair of blue eyes at the mild cough. "Lieutenant?"

"Yes. You are..."

"Xander." He handed over his letter and stood up to shake his hand. "Harris if that helps," he offered with a small grin.

"Our internship candidate. Thank you for coming down here during spring break."

"I hear it's a great place and I spent last year off Lake Meade," he said with a small grin. "Though I'm really not a party animal."

"It's always good to strike a balance."

"Unless you've been there and done that so you know your limits," Xander admitted sheepishly. That got a smile. "Shall we? That way I don't bore your charming receptionist as well as you?"

He got a smile for that one. "Of course. Office, interrogation room? Any choice?"

"Wherever you want. I'm flexible." He groaned and smacked himself on the head. "Sorry, had a nice time last night. You guys have some very good clubs to get lost in. I was in Bria last night, I think it was called."

"I know of it." He led him to an office and sat down with him. "I've looked over your application, Xander. I should call you that?"

"Sure. That's what most everyone does. I usually try to kick the ass of people who call me Alexander."

"All right." He smiled at him again. The poor kid was obviously a bit nervous with the way he was babbling but it showed an earnest and honest response. His first impression was that he was very young but something in his eyes said that he'd have a hard time breaking him in interrogation. That was what was making him think twice about this one. "You're doing this very early."

"I am. I've had some experience in DC already. I'm wanting to keep going. I learn better in a hands-on manner and I've, truthfully, missed a few of the lesson's points in some of the classes. I figure I can make up for that lack now and it'll make me a better CSI later."

"Where do you see yourself in ten years?"

"Working at NCIS."

"You have family in the military?"

"I do. My father's in the Marine Reserves. He spent a long time active duty and he's got some very high respect for them. I also know a few agents out of the DC branch. I've spent some time working with Abby. She's taught me a lot, not always what was needed but what I should do."

"Interesting. How long have you been interning up there?"

"Three summers now."

"You have a relative in NCIS?" he guessed. With his age, he had to have one, yet he didn't have anyone but Abby and Ducky listed as references. That spoke well of him.

Xander smiled. "I refuse to answer that question on the basis of nepotism or favoritism. I want an equal footing with everyone else who's being considered. I don't want to get this position due to anyone else but me."

"It's good that you're that confident."

"No, I'm that certain. I won't know how good I am if someone hires me because of my father or anyone else in my life," he said simply. "I'm not looking to play the politics or special friend game. I don't do things like Enron." Horatio smiled at that and nodded. "I had heard Miami was the same."

"Oh, it is. We like to run off federal agents now and then."

"I feel the same way about the CIA." He shook his head. "Anyway. I brought a copy of evaluations from my lab teachers." He pulled them out and grimaced. "Sorry, must've had a dripping tea last night." He looked at it and found two clean copies, handing them over. "Sorry about that."

"It happens to the best of us, Xander. I've had some times when I've had to walk into budget meetings cleaning the coffee off my shirt and pants. That's life." He smiled and Xander relaxed again. "Did you have to interview up there?"

"No, the old director liked me," he admitted. "He thought I was a pain in his ass but a lot like his favorite agent."

"I see." He looked at him. "That's a high qualification."

Xander grinned an impish, naughty grin. "Yeah, but I gotta be me." Horatio burst out laughing at that. "Director Morrow got many headaches from me during my internship. Abby and I palled around a lot. Including letting her dress me some days."

"I've met Abigail," he admitted, looking over them. There were a few low marks here and there. "A few of them seem to think you have problems dealing with people?"

"No, I have problems dealing with stupid people. Unfortunately the department favorite at the moment is one teacher's son and he's stupid enough for all of us combined. I help him if he asks but if he tries crap I get my own back and get my own credit. He pouts, his father complains, and my teachers mark me down. If I felt like it, I could pull up some skills that I've learned and blow two of my teacher out of the water." Or out of the universe but he didn't add that. It wasn't politically expedient to tell a potential boss you liked explosives.

"That sort of thing does happen. I do see one teacher who did say that you don't ingratiate yourself to anyone and you certainly don't play favorites. You speak Latin?"

"I read it better, but yes."

"Interesting skill. For the SATs?"

"No, just because I needed it a few times for some ancient books I used to deal with."

"Summer job?"

"No, after school job before I moved to DC."

"From where?"

"Sunnydale."

"Which is..."

"California. Just near LA," he admitted. "It's a bit of a rough place and when I found out I had a real father I left with him."

"Which is why two teachers have said you had a violent streak?"

"No, they caught me without sleep for a few days. I can be math challenged now and then and that week we were doing all sorts of math problems that I didn't understand. So I spent a lot of time working and not a lot of time sleeping."

"We all have our faults, it's a strong man who can work on his," Horatio offered.

"Oh, I try. Very hard. Dad and Tony do prompt it now and then too," he admitted dryly. That got a smile. "I would kill to be in a lab like this, Lieutenant. You have one of the best in the country. I could have talked my way into New York's or Vegas's lab. I did actually spend two days there last spring break due to a computer case. I was helping since it was an NCIS case and I was close with the skills they needed."

"You know something about computers?"

"I do. I also know a little bit about computer repair thanks to an old laptop that had wires that broke mysteriously for months on end." He frowned then let it clear up. "I had to learn."

"That's a reasonable excuse." He smiled reassuringly. "Calm down. You're starting to bounce."

"That just means I'm happy. Tony said I and my dog are both bouncy balls of energy at times." That got another of those soft, gentle smiles that would make his night later on. "I've got a little mixed dog from the pound at home."

"They're good companions." He put down the forms. "Anything else I should know?"

Xander looked in his briefcase and pulled out a candybar. "Sorry, in the way and stuck on the clip. Not a bribe," he offered with a shit-eating grin. He pulled out something and handed it over. "Here, a rundown on the types of cases I've helped Abby with and what tests were involved. I pulled them myself." Horatio leaned back to look it over. "I spent one summer doing lab internship and one summer working with a field team learning behind them. Last summer I spent six weeks being a gopher again and doing whatever was needed because it was a low case summer. About a quarter of it I spent proofreading reports and playing solitaire."

"This is very impressive, Xander. Especially from that office. Tell me, do you have many troubles? I've heard they've got a very domineering team up there."

"No, I love working with Gibbs' team. They're nice folk. Kate even occasionally lets me steal chocolate from her desk. I learned computer repair from his guy McGee." That got a nod and he went back to it. "I also should mention I do have skills that are not on there that are probably not going to become pertinent."

"Balancing a beer bottle on your nose?" he teased.

"No, I don't have great balance," Xander offered. "Though I can ride a motorcycle. No, I, um, have a friend who can hack computers and I learned a bit from her. Hence me being allowed to work on the case in Vegas. I also know a bit about self-defense. My father has made sure of it and I'm pretty good. I can hold my own against him. I've also had some cases that involved explosives and I've learned a bit more than I probably should about them as well."

Horatio looked at him. "Are you saying you can build one?"

"I'm saying I can mix C-4," he admitted blandly. "I don't. Otherwise I would have had a lot more problems at school than with that one student."

He made a humming noise and went back to it. He put it all together. "I like you, Xander." Xander smiled and finally relaxed. "Even though no sane person would've told their boss that they knew how to build bombs."

"It's come in handy in the past."

"I'm sure it has. It has for us as well. Especially pipe bombs."

"I like plastic explosives." He shrugged. "But I do know pipe bombs as well."

"Excellent. You are going on my maybe pile. We've got four spots open. When could you start?"

"School ends June 3rd. I can be down here within four days after that? Say the tenth to be safe. That way I have time to find somewhere to squat."

"Planning on bringing your dog?"

"Only if I can find a good spot and I have some very short hours. He's got a bit of a bladder control problem and I doubt I can find him somewhere to put a run and things."

"Well planned. Do you have friends down here?"

"I know a family down here. One of my former classmates in Sunnydale's parents live down here. I was their son's best friend before he died. I can probably get a couch for a few days if I had to."

"Then you're definitely on my maybe pile. I'll let you know by phone or email, all right?" Xander smiled and nodded, shaking his hand and letting himself be escorted out so he could go back to spring break. Horatio watched him go. Something had been left out but he knew it wasn't bad. There was something about the boy however. He went to call a contact in DC. "It's Caine," he said in greeting. "Fine, Agent Elliot. No, I had an internship applicant I wanted to check on. He said he's interned at NCIS. Yes, Xander. How did you know?" He listened to him complain about the smartass brat who Gibbs loved and was working on training.

"So he does get along well with them?" He smiled at the assurance that they were like a family and that Tony was the boy's crush. "Well, that explains a few things. No, he refused to give me any references there except Abby and Ducky. He said he didn't want undo influence. I had the feeling he was hiding something about his training but I'm not sure what...." The line went dead. "Uh-huh." He called him back. "Sorry, the line was cut. Can you send me what you know about him? Actually, I think some time in the lab might do him good. He does remind me of a cross between Eric and Speed. Thank you, Peter." He hung up and looked over the information again. His email beeped and he looked at the new message. He doesn't want to get it based on who he knows. Only on what he's done. "I know that. I have no problem with that. I applaud it," he told his computer, typing that back. "I only want to know his qualifications." The returned one of 'look at the packet' was enough for him. It did speak of a great deal of training time and some trust to have worked some of those cases. Then again, the hidden email notices and the obvious bugging of his line did make him want to know a lot more about this boy. There was definitely something the boy was hiding from him. Though, he had the feeling he would hear it from the boy himself if he accepted him. He had a feeling about him. He had it a few times before about some of his other people.

***

Gibbs looked up at his ceiling, groaning at the new name that was being moaned above him. "Do you have to do that!" he complained loudly.

"Oops, sorry!" He quieted himself and it was good again.

Gibbs got up to look up this new guy. He was handsome. He could see what his son did. He also found a new email from his son's contacts, reading what they had sent Horatio on him. "He asked?"

Xander came bounding down the stairs. "What?"

"He asked someone up here about you."

"I told him I didn't want to get in based on who I knew, only what I knew. Who did he check with?"

"A treasury Fed. Elliot."

"Was he the suit that I taunted for weeks about being Gumby?"

"Yup." He smiled at his son. "Your backup choice?"

"Abby or New York. I've been offered it without an interview but I told him I'd really rather have an ocean. But I'd tell him by the end of May. He said that was acceptable." He hugged his father. "Miami's where I want, it's got a good rep and Horatio is known for turning out some great CSI." His father looked at him. "He is. He mostly hires from within and then trains instead of going after highly trained people from other departments."

"That does speak well that he doesn't poach. Does Abby know him?"

"Yup and she suggested there or New York because I'd be working with a Marine up there do it'd be an easier transition."

"I remember Taylor from that last case." He gave him a cuddle. "We'll see what happens." He looked at his son. "I haven't forgotten who else lives down there."

"I wouldn't mind popping in on them and if there's a housing gap I could probably stay on their couch. That's why you're getting the dog this summer."

"That's fine, son. I'll even remember not to put him in the basement this year." He gave him a squeeze. "Go back to bed." Xander grinned and went back upstairs. "Without the noise this time," he called after him. He emailed Abby to get information on this person because if his son was going to go down there, he should know exactly what his son was capable of. There was no other way to stop him now and then. He got profiles on the whole lab back from her plus the fact she had given him a glowing and lengthy recommendation and gushed about how great he did with her. That did make him smile. Abby was a good sister to his son. He went back to bed, reminding himself to start the security checks in the morning.

***

Xander got the email at work and he stared at it for a few minutes before clicking on it. Then he hopped up and he snoopy danced until Tony stopped him. "I got the internship," he said happily, hugging him. "I'm going to Miami."

"Great job," he praised, giving him a squeeze. "No more snoopy dancing in the aisle. The director might find it cute." Xander giggled and got off him, going to pounce Abby and tell her. He looked over the letter, nodding at the instructions. Then he called down there. "Have him write back today, Abby, before he can forget." He hung up when Gibbs came off the elevator. "Good news pulled up on your computer, boss."

"About the case?"

"No, your son was snoopy dancing again." He looked and smirked, allowing the pride to wash over him for a minute then he lowered it and got back to work. "But on the case," he segued, handing over a few forms. "I found that and I'm not sure if it's relevant or not."

He looked over the prior arrest records under a different name but same social security number. "Do we think one lied?"

"That's the name the number was originally put in, boss. I can't find change of name paperwork officially but somehow he got it in a new name. I think it's relevant and Kate doesn't but look at the last page." He flipped there. "That's why I think it's relevant."

"There's no birth certificate anywhere with that name?"

"All states allow us to search and no, I haven't found one. The same as I never found a registration for Selective Service either."

"So we're thinking this guy's an illegal alien?"

"I don't know. He could be native and just wanted to get away from his past. If we could get a good picture we might be able to do a face recognition program through the state driver's license banks."

"Find the original owner."

"I can't. I've done DMV searches and everything, boss. Nothing from them. No death records that I could find either."

"So it could be a coincidence that we're not finding anything in the systems or you're leaning toward..."

"He killed him for his ID or he found him dead and assumed it."

"Do we have pictures of the original guy?" Tony pointed and he looked at the arrest report. "Nothing incredibly violent. Stupid teenage stuff. Theft mostly. The picture is leaning toward Hispanic in looks." He looked at Tony again. "Where was he when he disappeared? By pay stubs or whatever?"

"New York."

"Call them." He handed it over. "Let's see if they've got a guy who matches. They keep a file on their John Does."

"Yes, boss." He went back to his desk to do that. Because if this was relevant, they had no idea who they were searching for.

Xander came back and planted himself in front of his father's desk. "You didn't delete it, right?"

"No, son, I only lowered it. Sit down and work on your acceptance letter."

"It's not the academy awards, dad." He walked around and rolled his father's chair out of the way, squatting down to type in a simple 'I'll be there' and then a 'net squeal before he sent it. His father gave him an odd look. "I was bouncy and gushy when I saw him and he's got the prettiest blue eyes," he sighed.

"I saw, son. Help Tony. We've got a dead end on the ID and it looked like an assumed one. It might mean hitting New York. Can you?"

"I've got a test on Monday, but sure." He went to get it and take the phone. He had hung out in the lab the last time they had to step into New York's labs and helped them with some demony things. "Hi, detective. No, this is Xander Harris-Gibbs. Tony got called away. Yup, him. It's mine now. No, dad called Tony away to look at something else. Yeah, we seem to have two different people using the same ID and it appears that one fell off the face of the earth in your neck of the woods. Tony was leaning toward he might've been a murder victim and his identity assumed before you guys got there. He's not sure and we're not going to say that until we know." He nodded, making notes on the post-it near him. "Sure, I can fax all of what we have. Just through the John Does. Actually, he's got a record in your area. Theft. Raymond Herald Fish. Yup, that's his SSN."

He waited while he pulled it up. "But see, we've got a Naval officer down here who's using the same SSN and doesn't look like this guy's mug shot, though his intake form's picture is really fuzzy and unclear what he does look like. Looks like someone sneezed on the lens to me. Yeah, a DMV photo from a muggy day." He grinned. "See, that's what Tony was thinking. Can you run it through your John Doe database? Well, he dropped off your system in '98. He dropped into the Navy's system in '01. That's a finite year range at least. Sure, I can let you call me back if you want. Yup, that's me, ask for me or Tony's desk. Thank you, Detective. Yup, if I have to I'll be up there to come help. Thank you." He hung up. "He'll look. They're not computerized at this time. He's going to hand it to the CSI guys he works with and talk to them. They'll call back or if it gets too intense he'll call back and I'll go up." He looked at Tony. "How did he get in with such a crappy photo?"

"The notes say that they tried three times and none of them came out better," McGee admitted. "They accepted that he doesn't take pictures well."

"Was he radiated?"

"No. Not by our records." McGee looked at him. "'98?" Xander nodded, handing over the arrest report. "Hmm. He did get out in June of '98. Let's see what else went on with that number that year." He did a search through the Social Security Administration, coming up with nothing. He widened it. "He never worked and never filed taxes. How?"

"My thought, he was a thug, McGee. Can't exactly put 'gang member' on your tax form."

"Point and thefts aren't usually reported as taxable income."

"True. Oh, did you hear, the tax department for our great country wants to make pimps start to file taxes and do withholdings on their girls?" McGee choked.

"What?" Tony asked.

"Seriously, heard it on the news," Xander swore, holding up a hand. "They want pimps to start doing taxes and doing W-2's for their working girls. That way they're getting their own slice of the pie."

"But if you claim illegal income that way you'll get arrested."

"And if you don't, then they don't get paid and think about how much money goes for sex these days."

Tony shuddered and shook his head. "Someone somewhere needs to put down the Snoop Dog album and quit smoking the blunts." He went back to his desk. "Anything?"

"They're not online but they'll go through the picture file with his mug shot."

"Works for me. Thank you, Xander. Did you really type in a squeal?"

"Yup. I was bouncy and gushy when I went down." He came over and pulled up a photo. "That's who interviewed me."

"He's pretty," he agreed quietly, looking at him. "No crushing on the boss. It could cause problems. The same as the director here and your dad can't."

"Thankfully," Xander muttered. He plopped down. "What else can I do to help?"

"If we could find that guy.... Fingerprints," he said, calling Abby to let her know what was suspected. They did have a single fingerprint.

Abby came up a few minutes later. "We do not have a match to his ten card," she said, smiling at him. "But we do sorta have an almost match on him."

"How certain?"

"Three points." She held up the file. "He's the son of a bad guy."

Xander took the file and sighed as he looked over it. "So he either killed him or knew he'd be killed. He's probably using it to escape his father."

"It's still illegal and he was still beaten and wandered off from the hospital," his father reminded him. "We don't mind the son of thugs going into the Navy. We encourage it."

"Dad, his dad's in *weapons*." He looked over. "Any DI would twitch him about it, the same as they do sons of Marines. For some that would be intolerable. It'd make them quit and feel like they'll never escape their pasts. It'd make them think there was no reason to keep going and probably has led to suicide in the past."

"Still doesn't make it right."

"No, but it makes it more reasonable." He handed over that form. "That does look more like our blur there."

"It does." He looked at the picture the FBI had taken from a distance. "He never sits still. He vibrates worse than you do."

"I made myself sit still for my DMV photo," Xander complained, snatching it back. "I'll follow up with New York since he's from up there too."

"Good. You do that and we'll find the body down here." His father looked at Tony, then at Xander. "Your own desk, son." Xander sighed and went back to his own desk. "Thank you. We'll celebrate that later."

"Thank you, dad." He got to work on what he could do. Then he groaned and hit himself on the head. "I still need to study for my physics test."

"Why are you taking it?" Tony asked.

"It's mandatory. I figured I'd get it out the of way now. Like Calc since I did mildly sucky in Trig last semester."

"Don't overload yourself, son," his father warned.

"I can drop down to nine hours this semester if I need to, Dad. Plus I can take a few online classes this summer if I need to."

"Don't. You'll be spending time like you do here in your internship."

"Yes, sir." He got back to work. His phone rang a few hours later. "Harris." He listened and smiled. "Yes, sir. I'll be ready to work that first day. Are t-shirts acceptable or must they be button ups? Well I did see how you were dressed." He smiled. "That's fine. Thank you, sir. Of course. Thank you, Lieutenant. I'll be there on time and everything." He beamed. "No, I'm subbing today since I'm off classes for the day. Otherwise I wouldn't get to see my father for a few days. Of course, thank you, sir. I'll be there on time. Yes, sir. Send them to me and I'll do them and send them back. Sure." He beamed. "Excellent even. It'll give me something to do tonight while I'm waiting on call backs besides make my head hurt with physics." He laughed. "No, not in the least. That's one of those subjects that I've got to learn hands-on. Sure. I'm not afraid of paperwork. I proofread reports here. Thank you, Lieutenant. You have a good day too." He hung up after he did. "I'm getting the forms sent tomorrow to fill out for my ID and background check."

"Put on those that you have a security clearance," Gibbs reminded him. "It'll go faster because they can reference that file up here but not your dossier." He looked at his son. "You'll be honest with him," he said quietly. "We'll be doing background checks and you will be honest with him if he passes."

"Of course. Him and if I need another exception I'll send it to you directly," Xander agreed.

"Good." He got back to work. "They don't have those online?"

"They do since '03 but not before. Those are in picture files so they're searching those. Probably their interns."

"Call Taylor and tell him you can't accept, Xander."

"Yes, sir." He called up there after looking the number up. "Is Detective Taylor around? No, I just needed to let him know something. No, not case related. Internship related. Thank you." He was sent to his voicemail. "Detective Taylor, this is Xander Harris. I wanted to thank you for your offer of an internship position but I've decided to go with Miami as of this moment. I'm a beach baby and they've got beaches, plus less of the stuff I handled last time, ya know?" he said more quietly. "But I do thank you for that and I'll keep you in mind for further ones since I've got another four years to go and I intend to intern somewhere those summers as well. Thank you again. I hope you find someone as great as I am to fill in the spot. Or someone you can beat into better manners as the case may be," he offered in a more teasing voice. "Thank you. Have a better day." He hung up. "There. Done."

His father shook his head. "You need to learn the formal ways of doing that."

"Yay."

"That's not very professional," he noted when his son looked over at him.

"He said the last time he saw me he thought I'd make a great CSI but I needed some manners beaten into me since I only waved when he called my name and I was reading."

"That's annoyed me a few times too," his father assured him.

Xander shrugged. "Sorry!"

"Fine." He shook his head. "Just work on that angle."

"I am. I'm waiting on call-backs and making my head hurt with physics stuff." He noticed the director came out of MTAC and he coughed, nodding that way. His father nodded subtly. She came down and he turned on his computer, pulling up the old arrest files.

"I hear congratulations are in order?" she asked him.

"I got the internship in Miami without using any political connections," he agreed happily. "I refused to name names and only gave Abby and Ducky as references with my teachers."

"Then I'm doubly impressed, Xander. Congratulations."

"Thank you, Director." He smiled. "I'll be getting the forms to fill out tomorrow."

"That's fine. You've got some spare time here to do that I'm sure. What are you doing now?"

"Waiting to hear back from New York on a lead."

"I've had to do that many times. You don't think you'll have to be there in person?"

"Not really. An information exchange but nothing further hopefully. If we're right, it'll lead to closing a homicide on their end. I might have to go up there with that file. Of course, I could drop physics and make myself a happy boy?" he asked, looking at his father.

"Go ahead, son. That leaves you how many hours?"

"Sixteen including Chem."

"Fine."

Xander whooped and filled out the form online, dumping his problem class. He got an acceptance of that drop and wrote the teacher a nicer note about how he liked him as a teacher but it was too much stress for him this semester. That he'd see him in another year. Then he looked at her again. "Sorry, I'm taking Calc and Physics together again this time. This frees me of my Monday classes too."

His father looked at him. "I thought you had something stupid on Mondays."

"That was only a six week seminar on how to dress appropriately for interviews and those things. It's already done with."

"Decent. How was Miami for the holiday?"

"Lots and lots of hotties. From the airport on there were hotties *everywhere*." Tony giggled and nodded at that. "Including at the PD." He smiled at the director again. "I am still a young man."

"It's nice that your time in Cancun fixed you." She smirked at him. "Are you going to find a place down in Miami? I know someone down there who only uses theirs during the winters and you might be able to use their condo."

"I was thinking a cheap hotel room. I can't bring the dog with the hours I'd expect to pull down there and an efficiency motel room would be easiest. Maid service so I didn't have to clean. Free cable. It'd also be closer to the station so I could bus in if the car broke again." She nodded at that wisdom. "Thank you for the offer."

"Keep it in mind."

"I will, ma'am." She nodded and smiled, walking on. "No way in hell am I going to haunt a CIA pad this summer," he mouthed at his father, who nodded at that. "I'd sleep on *their* couch first." Tony's pencil broke. "I'm outside of their range and I'd report them if they went for anyone."

"Good." He glared at him. "You'll stay out of trouble?"

"As much as I can."

"I'd hope so." Xander shrugged. "I know. Trouble finds you."

"It had better not," Gibbs noted dryly.

"I try really hard not to let it."

"Good. See that that stuff continues. Call them back."

"Dad, they had over a hundred John Does in one year alone," he complained. "Give the guy some time." He leaned back. "If we have to hand him to New York I'll go up with him and hand over whatever we've got then. Physics was the only test I've got this week."

"Psychology," McGee said in a sing-song voice.

Xander sat up. "Oh, shit that was today, wasn't it?"

"Two hours ago," McGee agreed, looking at him. "Call the teacher. Tell her you got stuck here on a case." He nodded doing that. "I set my calendar to say he'd be in around this time today and it just popped up." He shook his head and went back to work. "I've got the person he was fighting with, boss. Local PD arrested him." He sent it to him. "That's how he got to the hospital but not how he got out."

"If he's got the history I think he does, he's good at sneaking," Xander told them. "Hi, Professor. Yup, this is. No, a case," he sighed, holding his head. "I know. I'm sorry." He slumped. "Well, I did drop Physics earlier. I guess..." He listened to her. "I know. Actually, I had it in high school. I could. Got it online? I can do it while I'm here. Not like they'll let me cheat and my textbooks are at home. Thank you." He hung up. "She wants me to drop hers too."

"That brings you down to thirteen," his father warned.

"I know but I can pass her class over the summer." He filled out that drop slip and sent it, getting another electronic acknowledgment and then a note from the registrar to call him. He called. "This is Xander Harris, I just got a note to call? I dropped two classes today." He got put through to someone else. "Hi, Xander Harris?" His file was pulled up. "No, I missed a test and the teacher suggested I do that because my internship has made it so I couldn't exactly get to class on time a few times. No, that was way too much for me. No, I don't want it back. Please don't make me go back. I know it's mandatory for my major and I'll try it again next year, when I'm not taking a math I don't understand." He snorted. "Lady, I've interned as a CSI for the last three summers. I can do the work but some of us don't exactly believe in the book learning method," he said dryly. "Yeah, me. Look at my files." He waited while she did that and then heard her gasp.

"Yeah, that was me too. So yes, I can handle the work, I don't need to change my major. I'll be fine and I'll tell my advisor myself in a few minutes. He was sure I could handle those two together and I pointed out I nearly broke doing it in high school. Dropping me from psych was the teacher's suggestion until I've got an easier semester since I can pass it blindfolded and I had a high B in there without studying since I had already been over it. It was just that work got in the way. Yeah, well, some of us do work, honey. Not all of us live off mommy and daddy's wallets." She said something smart. "You know what. I'm not down below where I should be. I'm not on financial aid this semester. I doubt the people who're paying are going to mind either and they're not going to be kicking me out of my major for dropping two classes this semester. No, I didn't drop last semester, I changed a gym class last semester so I didn't reverse gay bash the asshole jocks in there. Anything else or are they through?"

He nodded. "I know. I know very well what I'm doing. Lady, I've already solved my first ten homicides by myself. I'm already doing the work, I just need the degree to back up the work. Anything else? Thank you." He hung up and called his advisor. "I'm going to strangle someone in the Registrar's office. Should I leave her lying around as a practical exercise?" His teacher laughed. "I dropped physics and psych. The teacher suggested I should drop psych due to the problems I've had getting to class due to work. Oh, I got the internship in Miami. I doubt he would. I can email him if you want." He opened the last message and hit reply, then typed everything in. He sent it to him, getting back a 'that's fine. Keep your grades up' back. "He said that's fine. No, I couldn't take physics, it was giving me headaches again. No, not the I need glasses sort, thanks anyway, Doctor Brad."

He grimaced. "Speaking of, the practical class? Do I still have to do that? Can't I count something like my internship? Actually, Abby could. No, I have nothing against those hours. That's fine with me. I'm good with those hours. It's the stupid 'go haunt a lab' hours. Yeah, those. Can I count my internship? Or the time here?" He smiled. "Thank you, I love you. No, work got in the way of the test today. Yeah, I told her I had the work, I needed the degree to back it up and you guys wouldn't be dropping me due to that. Thank you." He blew a kiss and hung up. Then he shook his head quickly. "Dad, if you can prove to them I'm doing practical hours, I can get out of ten hours of classes that we've got to have. I can count my internship hours as well and that'll cut out a semester and a half."

"Get me the forms from your advisor, son."

"Thank you. He wanted me to go do the FBI labs." His father snorted and shook his head. "Yeah, me either. They hate me over there." He ran his hands through his hair. "I'm growing my hair out."

"I noticed, I was going to suggest a haircut." He glanced at his son as he typed. "I really think you should."

"I wanted to see what I'd look like with longer hair."

"An even gayer you?" Kate suggested.

"Bite me, Kate. You're just jealous my hair's better than yours." She glared and he smirked. "You are. Want to borrow my conditioner?"

"No thanks, I might turn lesbian." He laughed and got back to work.

***

That summer, after a full two weeks down in Miami, his advisor, Speed, finally got the balls up to ask him things. "So, NCIS?"

"Yeah, I've spent the summers working with dad."

"Interesting. Why? You could've lounged around."

"And do what? Get into trouble? A bored Xander is a dangerous Xander."

"So I've heard," he noted dryly. "But seriously, Xander. You're ahead of schedule of even the ambitious students."

Xander put down what he as doing and looked at him. "First, I learn better with hands-on methods. Second, I've never had a lounging life. Yeah, I played with my friends but then I started to hunt. School got in the way of hunting," he said quietly. "Third, dad didn't push me and the fun I wanted to get into would've disappointed him. Therefore I didn't." Horatio came to the door. "Lieutenant."

"Xander. Problems?"

"He wanted to know why I was doing this so early. I gave him the three good reasons I gave you."

"I heard." He gave him a gentle smile. "How is this case going?"

Xander frowned and looked at him. "It's not my first, but I have the gut instinct that the answer isn't going to make anyone happy," he admitted. "My gut says that someone's going to protest."

"It happens. We don't do this job to make people comfortable."

"No, but we might need riot gear." Horatio frowned and he waved him in, letting him see what he was. "That's police issued," he said quietly, pointing at the bullet. "Calleigh handed it to me and said she couldn't do that, she might be compromised since she used the same model."

"I see." He looked at him. "Is it in the system?"

"I'm going to run it at the end of shift today and bring it directly to you. I want other evidence to back it up. That way, it can be done quietly if it's an officer and out of the public and most of the department's sight."

"It's understandable but Internal Affairs does that."

"Not if it's them," he said quietly, showing him a DNA report. Horatio stiffened and nodded slowly. "I don't think this is going to make anyone happy."

"I can agree. Also about needing some body armor. All right, Speed's looking over your shoulder?"

"Fully and doing some of the tests a second time as a check and a blind," he admitted. "So far he's right on. Run the ballistics." Xander took it over to the computer and ran it, coming up with the gun registry. It matched the DNA. "H?"

"That does say that it's our job," he decided. "Finish everything then bring me the completed file, boys. Everything, even things that point at someone else. Just in case."

"Nothing points but one stray hair and it's a goat hair," Xander offered, holding it up. "That's the only unknown thing at the scene."

"Understood. Bring the completed file to me as soon as it's done." Xander nodded so he left, going to his office. He found an unwelcome visitor with one of the IAB officers who liked to sit on his ass and watch over his shoulder. He walked in and closed the door. "We have an issue in the lab."

"Harris is running things he shouldn't?"

"Speed's watching over his shoulder on a case where the evidence is pointing at an officer."

"That's my job."

"It's one of you, Rick." He stood up at that. "He is going to bring it to me soon. We'll be doing this after shift change. Quietly. He thinks this could get fairly difficult."

"Who?"

"When I have the evidence."

"I need...."

"No, you don't. When I have the evidence." Rick Stetler gave him a look. "That way you can't jump and he won't know and take off for a jog out of the state." He moved closer. "We're going to do this quietly in case he has other officers working with him or being blackmailed by him," he ordered quietly. "This way we can pick him up very quietly and none of the officers will be tipped off."

"Agreed," he decided. "Harris has a clue?"

"After three years interning at NCIS? I would suppose so."

"I heard he's got connections."

"He does. He finished school in DC. He interned in that branch." He smiled. "He's already well trained. We're sanding down some rough corners and explaining some things he didn't pick up from the books."

"Why?"

"He's more a hands-on learner. He learns better by doing than listening and watching." Someone knocked. "Enter." Speed walked in and handed over the file. "Already?"

"We had it all but done. The chem report is the last one we're waiting on and it might be tomorrow. So far he says it's consistent with what we think it is. He's rushing it but it still takes time to break it down. The preliminary tests do point at heroin." Xander walked in and shut the door. "Problems?"

"Yeah, the lab just got raided by a Fed. I made him stomp off in a snit." He looked at Horatio. "Can't I have him shot?"

"No, Xander."

"Please?"

"No, Xander. What sort of Fed?"

"ATF."

"Why?"

"I'm not sure. He saw me and stomped off in a snit," he noted dryly. "Probably going to call and whine at my father."

"That's fine. Go find him and drag him up here."

"Eric's here and I told him to so he wouldn't cry. Speaking of crying, is Gumby coming back anytime soon?"

"Gumby?" Speed asked. He gave him an amused look. "The government hired clay figures? Did we hire his horse to run one of the departments in the FBI?"

Xander grinned. "I haven't seen them all yet but I'll let you know when I do. Treasury agent Elliot? The last time we worked at him he wore green all week and I called him Gumby."

Horatio cracked a smile. "It's good that you don't let Federal Agents get to you, Xander."

"Why would I? He's a moron."

"True, and one who likes to lie to Calleigh," Speed offered dryly. "Are we waiting?"

"No," Rick noted, taking the folder. He sat down to read it then looked at them. "Is there *anything* that doesn't point to him?"

"A goat hair." Xander pointed at that part of the report. "That's the only unrelated piece of evidence from that alley. We have shoe prints from his office that matched the ones in the alley. We have ballistics. We have DNA on the bullet and shell casing. He licked it. We have..."

"Hold on, he licked it?"

"Common thing seen in movies," Xander told him. "Licking the bullet before inserting it in the revolver or the clip. We also have chem that's going to come up heroin."

"All right. A goat hair?"

"It's Miami, it could've been food or a religious offering," Speed noted. He shrugged. "I agree, we've got to do this one quietly. We have no idea how deep this reaches."

"Agreed," Stetler said, standing up. "Nice report, kid."

"I live up to Gibbs' standards." He looked at Horatio. "I want to ask a favor."

"Ask," he agreed.

"I want to work on the gay bashing case."

Horatio considered it. He knew Xander was gay. Most of the department knew Xander was gay. A few officers had warned him to have Xander tone down his gayness at work and Xander had heard and laughed at them. He sighed and nodded. "I'll assign you with Eric."

"Eric will not get anyone in the community to talk and I know some of them already."

"That's a reasonable reason. Is it personal?"

"Hell yes. Gay bashers are right behind rapists on my personal shit list."

Horatio nodded. "I'll tell Eric you're working on it with him and take you off Speed's post-kidnaping case." Xander nodded at that. "Go find Eric."

"Yes, Horatio." He went to do that. He found him talking to the ATF agent. "Horatio wants him and I want in on your bashing case."

"We don't know it is."

"Eric, it is. I know it is. You know it is. Hell, someone carved the words 'gay boy' on his chest and wrote the word 'dirty' underneath it in his blood. It's a bashing. I've already met some of the people in the community who wouldn't talk to you."

"I'm respectful."

"You'd also fall for the blushing and you're straight. Why would they talk to you when you could be one of them?"

"Point, even though that's not my thing."

"And that's great but they don't know you from this guy," he said, nodding at the ATF agent. "How would they know that?"

"Sure. I'll let you help me." He looked at the ATF agent. "Think you can handle Caine now?"

"Must I?"

Xander tapped him on the shoulder. "Did my daddy make you sweat or cry?"

"Neither," he said, glaring at him.

"Then why did you run when you saw me?"

"I've spent the last month working with Beth. I learned to get away when she was scowling like you were, kid."

Xander nodded once and grinned. "I like Beth. She's a great helper to spar with. Let's go. Will you need me?"

"I don't know yet." He walked inside, Eric following them. He stopped the kid. "She had your picture and hinted you had the same sort of training?"

"Classified and he doesn't know," he said quietly.

"That's fine. Who does?"

"Speed and Horatio. They've seen my evals. Dad cleared them to know everything."

"Fine, I'll work with them. Thank you, Detective."

"Hold on, I wanna know."

Xander looked at him. "Ask Horatio. He said to answer that way when you or Calleigh got curious." He walked him up to the office, letting him go first. "Boss, one of my former training buddies was working with him."

"Is that pertinent at this time?" Horatio asked the agent.

That got a nod. "Yeah, I think so. Depends on what the kid knows and how you can help. We've got a bust coming up for a weapon's dealer and we need to tap into your stores of confiscated explosives. We just got done destroying when we ran into this one and don't have enough stored."

"We haven't had a major ring in a while. We have some old dynamite and things," he offered.

Xander coughed. "Can we clear the office?" Stetler looked at him and shook his head. "Unless you have a security clearance of twelve or better, go take ten and make sure no one else eavesdrops."

"You're trained," he said dryly, smirking at him.

"You'd be correct but you haven't passed the clearance and these guys have. You also have no need to know. Out. Go make sure people aren't eavesdropping."

"For now."

"For good." Xander slammed the door after him, looking at him. "You needed what made?"

"Um, mostly plastique." He pulled out a file and handed it over. "I was hoping you guys had some. The local Federal storage facility has some but only two pounds."

Xander looked at him. "Get me the ingredients?"

"What?" Speed asked.

Xander looked at him. "I had to learn how." He looked at the agent again. "Want it regulation, home cooked, or some odd mix?"

"He didn't say it had to be regulation. He didn't say it couldn't be home cooked. What can you do?"

"They taught me all of them, dude. What did he want?"

"Small balls suitable for construction applications."

Xander nodded. "Horatio gets to keep track of it afterward."

"Agreed," he assured him. "Lieutenant?"

"Fine with me," he agreed. "Xander?"

"I have the recipe in my phone, Horatio. I can do that. Get me the stuff. When do you need it and how much?"

"Three pounds to start as a test with a hint at twenty more coming."

Xander considered it. "How soon?"

"Tonight?"

Xander gave him a look. "You've got a kitchen and everything? It'll be too liquid and I'll have to make home cooked. The regulation, construction grade stuff takes a few days to dry out."

He considered it then nodded. "Agreed. If he asks, our contact couldn't get something right away. He'll want to test."

"Of course." He shrugged. "Calgon me."

"Thank you. Lieutenant?"

"I'll be coming with him. Can we do this here?"

"Nope," Xander said dryly. "Need an oven." He followed him out, batting Eric on the arm. "We'll be back tonight. Help Speed with his case. Get with me in the morning about the bashing and I'll see where I can help best."

"Sure," he said, looking confused. Speed came out. "What's going on?"

"They need something that Xander learned on a case up there," he said, frowning some. "He agreed as long as H watched his back and took control of it immediately afterward."

"How?" Stetler asked. "Since you seem to know?"

"Classified. Ask Horatio."

"See, he gave me that earlier too," Eric noted dryly.

Speed pulled out his phone and called a number Xander had given him. "Gibbs, Speedle in Miami. No, a small glitch in the summer internship stuff. ATF just showed up. They're down on what they need for something and someone referred them to Xander about his past internships. Yeah, that guy. No, it's started off questions in Delko's mind and Stetler's mind. Thank you." He looked at Rick. "He said I can't tell you and it's classified higher than you'll ever be. That's a quote. It came from a case at NCIS." Stetler stomped off. "Concentrate on the other one for now." He pulled Eric into the office and shut the door. "You've noticed Xander's a bit more trained than he should be, correct?"

"Yeah, but he said he interned at NCIS for three summers running, including one of just lab work because he was only seventeen."

"That's not all." He sat his best friend down and looked at him. "You've passed the background so I can tell you limited things."

"Whoa, slow down. Background checks?"

"Xander's got a fourteen for a security clearance," Speed said quietly. Eric looked more confused. "When he first moved in with his dad, Gibbs up at DC's NCIS branch..."

"That's how!"

"Yup, that's how he got in so early. Anyway, when he first moved up there, spooks started to realize what Xander had done back in Sunnydale thanks to a few loose lips," he said quietly. He sat down on the same couch, facing him. "The kid got offered a training program. Full stipend, he'd spend six of his nine weeks with them and then the last few interning wherever he wanted, which was with his dad."

"Who?"

"Langley," he mouthed. Eric stiffened. "He's got training in explosives, which is why Horatio's going now, and computer stuff, plus electronics."

"Think he could fix my computer?"

"Maybe. Ask him. He fixed Calleigh's microscope the other day." He shrugged. "We've seen his evaluation sheets. He got hired without that being known. His first day here, I brought him up here and he announced he had skills that hadn't been on his resume or forms. Then they sent me out of the room until they cleared me. I thought he was just a cocky brat, I was waiting on Horatio to knock him down," he noted dryly. "When I was allowed to come in a few later, they handed me the forms. He is a marksman on sixteen different weapons. He can make nearly any explosive we could ever need or see in the labs. He can hack. He's got a friend who hacks as well. He can do some electronics stuff. Some of that, as he told me a few days ago, came as incentive to pass the harder classes. Things like Physics and Calculus." Eric moaned at that. "The team treated him well and when he was doing good they taught him things as a reward, then the guys in the scary suits taught him more. That's why we had to get clearance to tell any of us anything and why Calleigh will be buried in the Everglades if she asks without Gibbs knowing and clearing her. Also why you will be if you let this slip."

"So he's Bond?"

"No. Not hardly," Speed noted sarcastically. "He's still very gay. He's not a gadget guy. He thinks they're cool to look at but he's pretty basic in most things. He likes things that go boom. That's why his internships with his dad were so intense. That and why he filled in now and then after classes. His father's a workaholic of the old school and some cases they work straight through the week without heading home. He was there helping a lot of times. The kid knows his shit. The kid has rough edges, he doesn't really understand people a whole lot. I'm pretty sure Gibbs and H have talked a few times about some things, like his stress habits. He's gotta have one. He's here because he learns better hands-on than from a lecture. That's why I make him do things repetitively until he can recite them and their uses and reasons in his sleep. Abby, their tech, had him certified in ballistics when he turned eighteen."

"So he's just as trained as us?"

"Rookie trained," Speed offered. "Maybe six-month-rookie trained. He's still got rough spots. People are definitely puzzles to him now and then. He still has real problems with women. He doesn't really like women and he warned me the first time we went to the clubs together that any woman attracted to him was a dangerous thing." Eric grinned at that. "Like they want to kill him, Eric. He wasn't joking. He was perfectly serious. Remember that. You both draw the same type." He shrugged. "That's why Xander breaks out in skills every now and then. Sometimes it's the only course he sees. He's learning how to integrate them and hide them better this summer. That way people don't ask. Everyone up there either knew, had a hint, or had a connection who told them. Down here he's learning how to be subtle."

"Then why is he going with Horatio?"

"They needed a bit more plastique than they had on hand for a bust," Speed noted quietly. "Xander got taught how to cook."

"You're joking, right?" Speed gave him a look. "Please tell me that you're joking?"

"Not joking. He's got the recipes in his phone from what he just said. He's also said repeatedly that he's not going to work for the people who trained him. Every now and then they pop up to bother him. He punched one a few days ago when we were at a scene and one walked up to him and tried to get him to come in for a case. It was kinda pretty. Horatio even looked pleased at his right hook. His goal is to end up working on his dad's team at NCIS some year. That's why he's so interested in the field work stuff, even though he's got a very solid grounding in the labs. Horatio knows this. He and the kid have talked a number of times. Especially after that sniper thing."

"That was him?"

Speed grimaced but nodded. "Yeah, he was having lunch and they couldn't get anyone qualified who could do the job. They called H since he used to be qualified, H called Xander, Xander showed up and presented his credentials. They let him have it. It was a really bad shot. It saved lives. Xander got sick later. He hates having to do that. That's one reason why he won't go with them. That and they probably wanted him to do some sex jobs since he's one of the few flamingly gay people in this job." Eric nodded at that. "You've seen Gibbs' team, right?"

"Pictures. Why?"

"He's got the most massive crush on his second, Tony. He goes for slightly older but still fun. He also needs a boyfriend. It'd help." Eric snorted and nodded at that. "So, if you know someone, introduce them. Don't try for subtle. Xander's not used to subtle. Just pull him over and stick him in front of the guy with a 'this is..., he's cute and gay too' introduction." Eric cracked a smile with that. "He likes working with us. He's said this is as great to him as working up there is. He loves the case load, he loves the city, he might be back next year. He's still learning and he's more than happy to learn. Hell, he was happy he got the dumpster job because I made him get inside," he noted blandly, making Eric laugh at that. "Really, he was. He said it was all good for learning." He waved a hand. "The kid's odd, but he's a good kid and he's a nice kid. We've got to make him relax more often and get him laid, but he's doing good. Right now I'd give him excellent marks in the labs and in the field. Your case is going to be personal to him."

"He's already said that."

"Good. Work with him on it. He's got to push his comfort boundaries out to work in the field. He's going to run into abuse cases and things that're going to make him ache and he's got to figure out how to put up the shield and not be as affected by them."

"Was he?"

"Yes," Speed noted. "Physical from drunken parents and a few times of sexual abuse as a teenager. He bluntly stated one was when he was thirteen and he was payment for a poker debt and the other he was sixteen and had been kicked out, he had just barely met his father then. It allowed him the space to get to know him and relax with him."

"So those are going to be harder." Eric sighed. "This one too."

"Yup but we all had to find that same skill." Eric nodded that he had. "So we'll start to push his boundaries back now that we know what he can do. At the very least, if he doesn't qualify for NCIS because he's a newbie when he graduates, maybe Miami will have a new CSI that'll be a kick ass guy with us. I trust Xander just like I do Horatio at a bad scene."

"He'll come back," Eric said. "He could've went anywhere with those connections."

Speed grinned. "He didn't use them. His references were the lab tech he trained under, Abby, and Ducky, their ME who Alexx knows. H said he refused to give others and stated that he didn't want to use any of the ones he had done up there. He let his past work and his transcripts talk for him."

"Gutsy."

"He handed the boss a stack of information from his past case work. He said it listed case type and what tests were run during it and what he did during it. It was a pretty comprehensive list."

"Then I'm really impressed. Gibbs made him work?"

"Gibbs is a Marine."

"Never mind. He's probably a hardass who rode him the whole time. That's why the kid needs more fun."

"Maybe. I'm not sure. I know that's his rep. What did the ATF agent take off for?"

"Xander spooked him. He told the kid he had worked with someone named Beth recently and Xander said she was a training buddy. So I'm guessing they went there together?"

"Probably. He had three summers there. They paid for his college too. Even for messing him up farther, they've been good to the kid." He smiled smugly. "So, you're good with this knowledge?"

Eric considered it then nodded. "I am. He's a good kid and he's working hard to learn from you and the rest of us. He's always happy to help out and volunteers for stuff. Plus he makes Calleigh smile and giggle at his bad jokes. And hey, he dresses worse than you."

"Not funny, Eric." He stood up. "You can't tell. You can't even let on that you know except to the four of us. H, me, Xander, and you." Eric nodded at that. "This does mean that we can come to you for help if the spooks come back."

"Sure. If he needs it."

"Now and then everyone needs it, Eric. That's a fact of life. Now, let's go over my case. It's going to get messy."

"I saw the bastard. Why?"

"Dirty IAB officer," he said dryly. Eric moaned. "Yeah. All we're missing is a chem report. The only evidence pointing away from him is a goat hair."

"You can find some of those even in Miami," Eric pointed out. They left, leaving Stetler there. "Have fun?"

"I want to know."

"Then talk to Horatio."

"He said he can't."

Speed looked at him. "If he can't I certainly can't. Talk to NCIS." He walked off with Eric. "We'll end up finding his skeleton in the everglades in a few years," he said.

"That might be fun." They shared a look and Speed grinned. "One less headache for Horatio." They walked into the lab and closed the door when they found Calleigh in there. "Having fun?"

"A lot. Why?" She looked at them. "Xander called and said he had run the ballistics. Can I help?"

"Already handed it over," Speed offered. "Only one chem test still going. "

"Do we know who?"

Speed nodded. "Yeah, bad IAB," he said quietly. She shuddered. "So we're good." They all smiled and he relaxed. It'd be okay.

***
Part 4 by voracity
Xander looked at Horatio. "Sorry I got you drug in on your free time."

"No, I'd rather be here for this. That way they can't misplace any of it. I don't trust federal agents. They tend to hire the lowest common denominator. Especially the ones they send down to bother us."

"Yeah, I don't trust most of them either. Though I do know an FBI agent who even dad respects. I lose him now and then whenever he's looking for me but Dad said he knows his job and he scares the lesser agents."

"Maybe I should work with him next time," he said blandly.

"Fornell? It might make him happy to get down in the sun sometimes." Horatio smiled at that. "I know I'm a pain in the ass, Horatio."

"You're not really, Xander. Actually you're less of a pain than the normal interns. You know more, you volunteer, and you pull your own weight. We've already had to let two of the others go because they were slacking off." Xander gave him a sheepish grin. "Your idea of slacking off is Speed's idea of slacking off, calling in two hours late to get over the hangover."

"I don't get hangovers. Occasionally I get nauseous but I don't get the headache. Oh, but if I'm drinking margaritas, I get the spins."

Horatio looked at him. "I'll keep that in mind. Anything else I should know?"

"One of the spooks tried to remove me from the club?"

"I'll keep an eye out for those as well." He saw Xander looking. "What?"

"Salt." He found it and poured it in, stirring it together. Then he added the chemicals he had mixed earlier, taking the pan off the heat when it started to bubble. He pulled the glass baking dish out of the fridge they were borrowing and carefully poured the mix in, listening to make sure it didn't crack the pan. Then he smiled and turned the oven on 'low' and set it inside with the door open and a fan running on it. "There. It'll stink soon. The other reason I didn't want to do this in the lab." He grinned. "I've even used a dehydrator before. Got it too dry and crumbly."

"How many times have you done this?"

"In practice and twice for Abby," he admitted with another sheepish grin. "I made hers in clay animal format." Horatio cracked a smile at that. "I spent four weeks doing weapons and explosives in the morning, then self defense and computers at night. I did pretty good in there."

"So I saw on the evaluation forms." He walked Xander off, it was starting to stink. They went out into the small back yard and found a swing, sitting down together. "How many more of those will you need?"

"For their test tonight, nothing more. That'll make five pounds once it's dried. Maybe just a bit over. If they need the real stuff for the full buy I'll have to take a day sooner so it dries. He got up and went to check something he had put into the freezer, coming out with the metal pot. He put it between them and reached in, pulling out the stuff to start making balls. "Let's do this."

"Gloves?"

"I don't get them even and uneven textured balls means that you don't get even spread on the explosion." Horatio nodded at that and helped. "Besides, there's cleaners that can take this stuff off your hands."

"Thankfully most people don't know that."

"No, most of them are trained by the military and they don't get that stuff. They want to know who's been playing with the explosives. The CIA not so much wanting others to know you play with explosives." Horatio nodded, letting the swing move. "So, you wanted to ask stuff I'm sure."

"I do but I'm not sure where to start." He glanced at him as he put aside another ball of explosives. "Mine are smaller."

"That's fine. This is pretty potent stuff." Xander reworked his first two so they were smaller. The extra from them got made into a third ball and he moved on. "There's always one stepchild that's smaller," he joked.

"It's usually the last one, like when you make muffins."

"I can make muffins from a mix. I didn't spend much time at home and dad was always working so food was the crock pot, something quick at the end of the day, or something frozen or ordered. Willow sent me her spare crock pot when I gushed about all the great takeout spots in DC." That got a quiet chuckle. "Go ahead and ask."

"Graduation." Xander stiffened. "You were there?"

Xander looked at him. "That was my battle plan," he said quietly, glancing around for their minders. "It was necessary."

"From what I heard it was." He reached over to push back some of Xander's hair. "Longer or shorter, Xander."

"Dad wanted me to get a haircut." Horatio nodded. "I'll do that tonight." He grinned. "Should I make Speed help me buy t-shirts too?"

"Take Eric, he dresses better."

"Eric's afraid my gayness will infect him, boss."

"He's not, Xander. He takes a very practical view of gay men - more women for him." Xander burst out in giggles at that, making him smile. Horatio took off his suitcoat and put it off to the side so it couldn't be touched by anything. "He would help if you asked. You do dress a bit down most of the time."

"Yeah, but you missed the kilt."

"Kilt?"

"Abby."

"I've met Abby at a few conventions," he said dryly, giving him a look. "Why was she involved?"

"She put me in her grandmother's clan tartan. We made the old director have a migraine that day. He sent me home since all I had were the leather pants we had bought on lunch and he had a memo out within ten minutes banning kilts, leather, or mesh tank tops." Horatio smiled. "I did it perfectly correct, but I did leave the furry bag on the table most of the day and I wore my black high tops."

"I'm sure you were adorable."

"Kate still groans whenever Tony picks on her. She had thoughts."

"I'm sure. Wore it traditionally?"

"Of course," he assured him with a naughty grin. "Which made Abby squeal when she checked." He laughed at that. "Dad still groans now and then too."

"Are there pictures?"

"Tony has one. You could tempt Speed into asking for his blackmail photos so I can see what he's got."

"Break into his desk."

"I tried that, he found out and swatted me." He shrugged and made another ball. Their minder came outside. "Few hours. Then I'll need a plastic thing to cut with."

"I'm still trying to figure out what to get you."

"Plastic and has to have a sharp edge," Horatio said, glancing at him. "Go to the hardware store."

"Not a bad idea." He sent the agent with them off. Then he looked at Xander. "Yes, I do read lips. It was *necessary*?"

"Did you see the remains in the school?"

"I did."

"That had to be ripped apart before it ate everything."

"Never mind, good enough for me. I'm sure someone somewhere's already classified that stuff."

"Along with the reason dad found me."

"Even better. One less thing I have to worry about." He came over. "What's that?"

"Temptation. If he has a clue he'll know what this is. If he's as big as you say he'll know." He looked at him. "Also as an apology for the other stuff still being too wet."

"Okay. How strong is that?"

Xander held up a ball. "Half a cruise ship." The agent shuddered. "It's not hard to make either." He made another ball and then moved and dusted off his hands, sneezing well away from that. "Sorry." He went inside to blow his nose and clean his hands off with the special soap he had requested. Then he came back out. "Didn't want to give anyone any biologicals."

"We could still get epithelials," Horatio reminded him.

"No we can't. The first ball we did conditioned our hands and coated them. This stuff is great for conditioning the skin." Horatio looked amused. "Seriously, look at your hands." He picked up a ball to work again and then put it down, letting him see his hands and the coating of liquid on them. "Part of the forming is pressing out the extra binding agents. The first ball may have some DNA from skin cells but the rest we're covered for. Plus we'll have really soft hands tomorrow." He got back to work with a smile when Horatio just shook his head. "Anyway, this is great stuff but only someone truly linked into the black market will know. It was created by some Russian guy and we stole the recipe from him. They killed him when they stole the recipe from him."

"So they'll know we've got someone who's former government from the Cold War," the agent said, smiling at that. "Good way to mask your true age, kid."

"Also to see if he's got a clue. This stuff is gold in the right circles. Speaking of, I need to call Dad. See if he wants a few balls to get loose so he can track them."

"No," Horatio ordered. "If he wants that, he can have you make some."

Xander nodded. "That's reasonable. That's why I wanted you to take control of it."

"Does this burn?"

"Oh, yeah. I've held a few bonfires with a few practice batches. It burns very well." He grinned. Then he got back to work, watching what he was doing. "This is still too pliable to make into animals."

Horatio grinned and snorted. "You're unique, Xander. Stay that way."

Xander gave him a look. "Would you really want more than one of me?"

"No," the agent said, heading back inside where he could shudder in private.

"Go ahead and ask since we're alone again."

"Have you met anyone nice down here? I know you've went out a few times."

"I've found a few people to play with but no one to date. I put them in separate categories."

"Most people do," he agreed. "Especially at your age. What are you looking for?"

"Tony." Horatio smiled at that. "I know, fantasies and all that." He shrugged and pulled out another ball, using it to scrape up the end of the pot. He handed some of it to Horatio and he added it to his, then all of them got carried inside and back into the freezer. "You'll need an ice pack for those. They're kept cold until use." He washed up, handing Horatio the soap when he came in. "That stuff has additives that kill residue and won't ruin our new softness." He got done and wiped his hands on the towel. That would be taken when they were done he was sure. Horatio did the same and Xander went to turn the other pan around in the oven to let the other side get just as dry. Then he headed back to the swing. "We could probably do my eval," he offered.

Horatio joined him. "We could. I know mine to your teacher so far has been glowing." He sat down next to him again and started the swing moving. "Did you want to come back next summer?"

"If I'm offered, I'll be down here on time with my tail wagging."

Horatio nodded. "As long as things don't get too much worse, you'd probably have a spot, Xander." Xander smiled at that. He heard a muted swear and looked back. "What?"

"The boss doesn't like this idea."

"We still on?" Xander called.

"Yeah, we have to have it, he doesn't like that we're using someone who took that class you did."

Xander shrugged. "Yay. Tell him they paid for my college and to bark at my dad too."

"No thanks. Your father would eat him and he still signs my evaluations." He went back inside. He hoped the Lieutenant could help calm that kid down because he had heard about some of his wild stunts in DC.

***

Speed ran into the kid the next morning, looking him over. "You look like you slept."

"I did. Mostly." He shrugged. "Where's Eric?"

"He's in the labs but I wanted to stop you first," he said quietly, pulling him back outside for a minute. "Xander, there have been a few loud officers about that case," he offered. "I know you need to work this but they're making me want to reach for a gun to shoot them. You're openly gay, they could come after you."

"As my father learned, I learned self-defense too, Speed. Don't worry about that." Speed nodded at that. "If I need it, I'll call when they're done." He walked back inside, signing in and heading to the labs once he had his jacket and case out of his locker. "Do we have pictures?" Eric nodded. "There's a few people who know *everything* that goes on and if they don't know, they'll know who to ask. I know where they brunch. Coming?"

"Sure," he agreed, taking the file with him. He followed the kid out to the hummer and even let him drive this time. "You've been over the case file?"

"Yeah, after you left that day. Speed just warned me we've got loud officers who're protesting us investigating too." He backed out and headed off, going to where they would be. It was early but not that early with traffic. "He wanted to make sure I knew that they might try me too for being gay."

"You are pretty open. Even most of the gay cops don't come out that way."

"Eric, I could care less if the patrol guys like me," he said blandly. "You either like me because I'm good, you like me for the person I am, or you don't. I'm over my phase of wanting to be liked. I was over that years ago. I was an outcast in high school," he offered at the odd look he got. "I had two friends."

"I'm sorry."

"I'm not. I learned some incredible things because of them." He changed lanes and found the place he was going for, scanning the parking lot before he parked. "One's here." They got out and he led the way inside, kissing the waiter who came to seat them on the cheek. "We need to speak to Lord Hillary about a case," he said quietly. "We're with the crime lab."

"Let me check, sir." He walked off then came back and nodded, leading them into the back room. "Here you go. Would you need anything?"

"Get them some coffee," the older man at the table offered. He looked them over, dismissing Eric out of hand. "You come to us now?"

"We wanted to have the full facts forensically before we came," Xander offered. "May I sit?" That got a hand wave so Xander sat across from him and patted the folder he put on the table. "We always go through the lab first and then come looking for suspects. That way we can't accuse those who weren't involved and we know the right questions to ask."

"It's a good strategy," he agreed, smiling as another man was let into the room. "These two nice boys are from the crime lab. Sweetie, you can sit."

"Thank you. I never sit unless offered." He sat near Xander. "We've done what we can in the labs, but Xander has heard that you might have some more information or know who we can go to. The tapes from the club aren't conclusive and they're blocked for most of it. What we have we can't match, it's too general."

"And I want to solve this," Xander told them simply. The new person looked at him. "I don't like people like gay bashers fouling the air I breathe, especially out at the clubs. They're up on the top of my shit list with rapists, child molesters, terrorists, and murderers."

That got a small smile from the second man. "You're a new hire at the lab?"

"Intern. I'm Harris, from DC." He shook his hand. "I've been interning a while now up there at NCIS."

"That's wonderful," he agreed. "Why specifically come to us?"

Xander grinned at them both. "I asked some people late last night who to go to. They said your group of six or seven, depending on who's on vacation at the time, either know what's going on everywhere in this city or you know who would know. We need a witness or four. The more the merrier in this case."

"In tights?" the first man teased.

"Hey, if they want to be in tights, I salute them. I can't. I did SCA stuff and I hated tights." That got a laugh. "I did." Eric gave him an odd look. "I got to play with swords, of course I did, Eric." He grinned. "This is Eric Delko. He's one of the guys mentoring me on my internship and it's his case. I'm being pushy and got myself assigned to help him. I know some people wouldn't feel as comfortable talking to him, and a few paranoid ones might even think he'd be like them because he's straight."

"DC must be very different than down here," the second man said.

Xander looked at him. "I've had guys shy away from me because I was too tough. I've mostly spent my time down at Bria and Orrorro. Whoever named it after a comic character was very nice."

That got another tolerant smile. "Those are very mature. Looking for a daddy?" the first guy asked.

"Slightly older, not that much older. Someone slightly steady but still fun and alive."

"That's reasonable at your age."

"Especially with the way the guys my age play," Xander agreed. "Which I've done some of myself." They smiled at that. "I know, I'm not down here for long so I haven't been seriously looking for a good boyfriend, only playmates. If I come down next summer, I'll be looking better." That got a nod from the second guy and a small smile. "Until then, know anyone in DC?" That got a nod from both of them. "Mention my name?"

"Of course, sweetie. It was a horrible crime."

"It was and whoever did it defiled him. His parents didn't know," Eric told them. "His father's still denying what they wrote on him. All we'd like are some witnesses. We can't get any from the tape."

Xander pushed over his coffee cup. "Drink, Eric." He looked at them, seeing the tolerant looks. "I know someone there was having a party. Were they taping?"

"They were," the first one agreed. "We can put you in touch with them." Xander smiled at that. "Have you asked the bouncers?"

"Two said they didn't see anything and the one who did got clubbed in the head. He only has fuzzy memories so far and I don't want this guy to get anyone else," Eric told them.

Hillary patted him on the hand. "Drink, dear. You're obviously bouncy and nervous." Eric smiled and drank some of the coffee. "So, Xander.... DC?"

"DC. My father found me when I was sixteen. I've been there since. No one there would give us any good names of who was there. Could you give us a few? I don't care what they were doing, they'd be treated respectfully by me and the Lieutenant, plus Eric. I will swat him if they get upset."

"Hey! I'm not like that."

"No, he's right," the second person noted. "Some of us will not come forward for fear of being outed or for fear that you straight officers wouldn't treat us well. It's not a problem we have often dealing with the lab but it has happened in the past. Especially the queens. Once burned and all that, Eric."

Eric swallowed. "I have nothing against anyone unless they're doing something really bad. In this case, I don't care if they were with someone who was reasonable but underaged. I don't care if they were having sex. I don't care if they were doing shots at the bar as long as they were sober enough to be aware and reasonably certain of what they saw. The same with drugs, though I'd prefer not to rest it solely on that. Then again, I also know not all of you are like that. We get people in straight clubs who do the same things. As a rule, club witnesses are questioned more thoroughly in case they were drinking or using. That way we're sure of what they saw. We do that to everyone. Horatio wouldn't let us treat anyone differently."

"I like your boss. He's got very pretty eyes."

"He so does," Xander moaned. "I was on spring break when I met him." That got some smiles and Eric swatted him. "They are, Eric, and they suck you in."

"They may but not the point, Xander. Focus."

"Oh, he is. He's usually much more bouncy and likes to ask the queens for fashion recommendations since he dresses so poorly." Hillary looked over the boy this morning. "You even ironed."

"No, I let the dry cleaners iron. I didn't bring one." He shrugged. "I heard you guys were some of the top people in the city. I'm not going to insult you buy wearing a band t-shirt and jeans in here."

"Good boy," the second man offered. "I'll have people call you two directly or your boss. We've worked with him in the past. Is the blonde one free? I know someone who likes to stare and drool at her."

"I don't know. Eric?"

"She's just now breaking up with a guy," Eric offered, shrugging. "I'm not sure if she'd date women or not. I never asked. She doesn't date often I know. She's very picky."

"It must come with the job. Being picky about how you handle evidence and things. May I?" Eric handed over the file and he nodded, then looked at them. "It's a bit early but Miss Kitten was there that night. It was her party." He handed it back. "That one was one of the faceless party boys." He looked at Xander. "You'll make a grand old dame some year, dear."

Xander beamed. "I can only hope I do. After dating all the women who tried to kill me? I like men. I like men a lot." That got some amused laughter. "I did before but afterward? Yeah, I like my men. A lot." That got a smile. "Is Mistress Artemis giving lessons anytime soon?"

"Not that I've heard, but she might make a personal exception."

"I'll ask then. Thank you, gentlemen." He stood up and kissed them on the cheek. "If you hear anything, tell us. Or if you have problems and I'm here, call me." They nodded at that. "Or Horatio. He's very fair." He took the folder. "We'll get coffee before we drop in on Miss Kitten, just in case." That got some nods and they left.

Hillary stopped Eric. "He's a good choice. Many of us wouldn't talk to you, no matter how nice you are."

"I understand why but we're not all like that. You can trust the main people in the lab to be fair and respectful. Horatio would skin us if we weren't."

"I'll let that be known, Eric. Thank you." Eric nodded and headed out after Xander. "Two very cute men. Think he's in denial?"

"If he ever switched it would have to be love," the second man sighed. "Pity. I could use a butt like that." Hillary slapped him on the arm. "I could. So could you."

"I could but Xander was adorable."

"He was and polite. You don't see many of the faceless party boys who respect the old order." That got a smile and when their friends came in, once they knew the coast was clear, they dished over the cuteness.

***

Xander smiled at the queen who opened her door. "Miss Kitten?"

"I am," he said tiredly. "It's very early, sweetie."

"We're doing the case from Pink," Xander told him. "I'm Xander Harris and this is Eric Delko, we're with the crime lab and we were sent to talk to you by Lord Hillary and Ashworth."

"Come in." He let them in, looking them over. "I've seen you at some of the clubs, playing mostly."

"I draw a firm line between dating and playing," Xander agreed. "Dating is for long term things and I'm looking for steadiness and a bit of maturity. They were stress relief and fun. If I was here for longer, I'd be looking for a boyfriend instead of playing."

"Good. Where are you from?"

"DC."

"And? The accent is throwing me."

"Sunnydale. By LA," he offered with a grin. "I was in hiding there and dating some very bad women but hiding my gay side." That got a nod and she let them in. "We heard you were having a party that night. By any chance, was anyone taping anything and could we look it over and possibly copy it?"

"I'll ask them. It could out some people."

"We're not interested in anything beyond what happened to that young man," Eric assured him. He noticed Xander was petting a boa. "Xander?" he said patiently.

"Sorry, this is a wonderful fur. What is it?"

"Lynx." She smiled proudly. "You think you'd like to be a queen?"

Xander grinned. "I couldn't stand the tights in SCA. Pantyhose would drive me nuts." She giggled at that and swatted him. "I have the utmost respect for any and all queens, Miss Kitten. I've learned a lot off them. Including how to iron." That got a smile. "It was necessary."

"Good boy. Sit, please. Thank you for giving me some extra time."

"Lord Hillary said it might be a bit early," Xander apologized. "I want to solve this as soon as we can. I want the person who did this to be the prison bitch within days," he said bluntly, making her blush. "And I want them to treat him just like he treated this boy."

"It's just," she agreed. "There was a tape made but I'm not sure how it can help you. I don't even remember seeing him."

"Ashworth said he was one of the faceless party boys as he called them."

"Him and Xander both," she agreed dryly, smiling at him. "You have to be spectacular or mated to win his attention." She took the folder to look at his picture, then frowned. "He was on the floor. I remember a scuffle. I was a bit tipsy. I turned twenty-nine the night before."

Xander snorted. "Twenty-six I think." She gave him a look. "Really. A few of those wrinkles are makeup." He gave her a knowing look. "Like me, being a bit older is better in some things. I hide my own age since I'm only twenty-two."

"Then you're very good."

"I am." He grinned. "In many things." She giggled and relaxed again. "So, you were turning barely legal and threw the party in the nice, hot, happy, and hopping club. We heard there was a small disturbance on the floor but the cameras didn't catch it. Do you remember what it was over?"

"Oh, it was possessive sister issues," she assured him, waving a hand at him. "Some poor lezzy's girlfriend was dancing with someone she hadn't approved of. A few of the more gallant ones stepped in to break them up and one of the other ones took the poor dear home to soothe her in the most natural way possible."

Eric took notes on that. "When was that, approximately?"

"Hmm, they were about to do the gang trilogy for the punks in the corner. They came on right after them and we all thought it was very appropriate," she told him. She nibbled on her top lip. "Hmm. Maybe an hour after we got there. Did you get my entrance?"

"We did," Eric assured her, smiling at her. "The cameras get the doors and there's an overhead view of the floor but it's too distant and focused off to the right."

"Hmm, and the poor boy was probably led off down the back hallway which is on the left side of the DJ's cage," she agreed. "The bathrooms are near there so it wouldn't have looked too odd."

"The last time I was in Pink, that door nearly stayed open," Xander agreed. She nodded at that. "Can you think of anyone who would've been watching the floor and the kiddies?"

"If Ashworth wasn't, then there wasn't anyone out there but boytoys. So maybe some of the daddies looking for a new twink or maybe a few of the predators looking for an easy lay." She looked at Xander. "I take you for one of those."

"Now and then. When I'm stressed and I need the relief. That's why I set a firm line between dating and playing. I'm always very good to mine and they know what I want when it happens."

"Good. You play safe?"

"As safe as humanly possible," he assured her. "Including only usually hands and rubbing in the clubs. I save sex for dating. Oral stuff if I'm receiving," he offered with a small grin. "I'm more a tease than not."

She nodded. "Good boy. That's always safer. There's one predator who's always there. Right side, upstairs on that small walkway of benches. Usually one of the last two. Talk to him. He does like them that age and he might like you."

Xander smiled. "I'll do that tonight. Can we fast forward through the tape, make sure there's nothing?" She nodded, going to get it for him. He looked at Eric. "Most guys like that get there just before the reasonably active hours so you shouldn't be up too late tonight."

"I've closed down some clubs and went to work the next morning, Xander." He stood up when she came back, taking the camera. Once she sat, he sat. "Do you think he'd be in by ten?"

"Usually closer to eight. He likes them just the wrong side of legal if he can find them and those sort do have bedtimes," she said with a smile at Xander.

"My dad had one of those too." She laughed. He leaned closer. "I need instruction to get better," he hissed. "Who in town besides Mistress Artemis can help me?"

"Practice does make perfect."

"Yeah, but my gag reflex doesn't like it."

"Ah. Mistress Artemis is probably your best bet, deary, if you're not interested in dating."

"If I was here longer, I'd have gotten one within my first week. Next summer if I get to come back. I have plans of interning all through my college."

"You're a rookie?"

"I interned for three years at NCIS under my father and their very goth lab tech. I'm a bit more skilled than the average college student."

Eric showed her the tape. "He's watching the right area. Who's he?"

She looked then frowned. "I don't know him. I don't think I've seen him."

Xander looked. "He looks familiar but I don't think I've seen him at the clubs."

"Okay," Eric decided, nodding at that. He moved on and then looked at her. "Can we copy this? I'll bring it back personally and personally make the copies. I'll edit out anything that I don't need for the case for the DA. Again, personally."

"Agreed. Most of the people caught wouldn't care." She looked at Xander, frowning slightly. "Did the poor boy's family know?"

"No, and his father's still denying," Xander said quietly. "We know it wasn't him but gay bashers are up with child molesters for me. They deserve to die." She nodded at that. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, love. Come to my act?"

He grinned. "I caught you a few nights back. Weren't you at the Diamond Collar?" She blushed and nodded. "But I liked it so I'll gladly catch your next one." She giggled and swatted at him. "Have a good rest, dear, and happy eighteenth." She let them out, smiling and happier. He looked at Eric. "That gives us another witness."

"It does and you need help?"

"Yeah, I have a really strong gag reflex." He shrugged and got in to drive once Eric had bagged the tape. "Should I distract what's-his-name, the chatty one?"

"Please. I don't want to deal with him doing this."

"Sure." Xander drove them back and had only walked in when he heard someone starting on the 'gay case' as it was called. He glared at the officer in question, making him shut up. But he continued up to the lab behind Eric. "I hate assholes."

"Being gay, isn't that a problem?"

"Not that way. Did you hear the two in the lobby?"

"Yup. It happens each time we get a high profile case like this one. There's always assholes in any organization like the military and most police departments. Remember, half of them are in denial."

"Yeah, but I don't know anyone who would have them," Xander said as they got off the elevator, "and I know some people with some pretty loose tastes." Eric choked at that. "I do." He smiled at Horatio when they ran into him. "We have a possible tape Eric's going to do, he promised personally, and a possible witness to find later tonight."

"Excellent. Do not let them get to you," he said quietly. "That's what they want."

"They're about to get my size elevens up their ass. I don't put up with gay jokes or racial jokes around me. Most of the guys in the building remember when I slapped one for that problem." They shared a look. "They come, I'm dealing and then calling. Those were dad's rules."

"Call first and then deal with it," Horatio ordered.

"If possible," Xander agreed.

"Thank you, Xander." He walked off, going to help Eric. He smiled. "Mistress Kitten was up already?"

"Xander woke her up." He looked at him. "He chatted with them."

"They probably appreciated it, Eric. It let them know he was one of them and on their side."

"Oh, he is. He petted her Lynx boa." He shook his head and fast forwarded to print off an image of the watcher and then copied the pertinent parts of the tape. Then he sealed the original again and put it into his case. "I said I'd give it back."

"That's fine. It's a reassurance to them. Did you let them know they could call us?"

"We both did, H," he said, looking at him again. "What happened?"

"Megan disregarded one and a few other officers have been known to disrespect them."

"We're not like that and I did make the distinction of the lab being different. I told one of them that you'd skin us."

"I will," he agreed with a small grin. "I'll have fun doing it, Eric."

"I wouldn't anyway." He shrugged and went back over the video footage. "I kicked Cooper out."

"He's probably taking an early lunch. Let me know what you come up with. Like Speed, I don't like the volume of the problems this one is drawing."

Xander came in with a folder. "There might be a reason for that." He held up a file, letting Eric compare the photos. "I took the club's footage of him coming in and did a search through the DMV. It's still running but there's something odd about him and the trace on the body was found to be gun oil." He handed it over. "With pool chalk."

"Crap," Eric muttered. "Why not shoot him if he had a gun?"

"Not humiliating enough, Eric. Gay bashers do it because they're afraid of what the gay person is to them, what they make him feel like. Usually they leave them living so they learn better and don't taunt them again by being gay. This time, he probably set out to kill him because the feelings were stronger. He wanted him badly and he couldn't accept it so he killed what he desired." He slammed the door shut when he heard footsteps. It was knocked on. "No."

"It's my lab, guys," Cooper complained, sticking his head in. "Should I duck out for a longer time?"

"Yeah," Eric told him. "It's private footage and I promised the owner I'd do it personally." That got a sigh and a nod. The AV tech left. Xander closed the door again. "Were you bashed?"

"Eric, I'm not even mugged," Xander said dryly. "Except for one guy in a club, I've never been mugged. Not even during Carnivale a few years ago." Horatio gave him an interested look. "Senior year. Dad said I had to take someone so Tony, Abby, and I all went. It was a great time, even with the spook that wanted me to work with him." He looked at Eric again. "If you were going to pick a target, who would you rather have?"

"Speed," he admitted. "He looks down while he walks. So, how was Canivale? I heard stories that it's wild."

"It's a two week party in the streets, Eric. The two main days are great, but it's spread out some. I so got laid. I came home so relaxed and loose I even grinned at Feebs." Horatio laughed at that. "I even cuddled Kate." He shrugged. "I had so much fun. Even more fun than Rome."

"You've been to Rome?"

"Training exercise. I had to go spot the other spooks." He shrugged. "I lost Tony twelve times, I got to see a bunch of tourist sites, and I ate a lot of great food. We spent six days there and it was wonderful. Even if Tony did invite himself along on Dad's orders. I even got an award for spotting more spooks than my boss. That two grand was very nice." Eric gave him an amused look. "It was. My car needed fixed. I had been run off the road by someone who wanted me as a hostage the day I left. It came in very handy to fix my car."

"I saw the cloud of greasy smoke this morning," Eric offered.

"Oh, I know. It's time to change. Badly." He looked at the screen again. "Run it back?" He watched. "Pause. Zoom in on the guy in the corner? The one with the dark hair." Eric did that. "Huh. Speaking of Feebss." He pulled out his phone and dialed. "Fornell, Harris. Yeah, the Son of Gibbs. No, I'm on internship in Miami and you were in a club where later as homicide happened. Did you take film? Okay, and if I can ask why you were there?" He groaned. "I doubt he is, Fornell. Sure. Please. Yeah, that homicide. No, I butted my way in since I'm openly gay and I hate gay bashers. Please. Thank you. Delko or me. Thank you." He hung up. "He was there watching this person," he said, pointing at one of the queens in the party. "They think she's got a boyfriend who's got ties back to a terrorist cell out of France."

"Interesting," Horatio said. "Did he tape anything?"

"A lot and it's digital. He'll be sending it to Eric."

"Great," Eric agreed. "The more the merrier. Also, we got a witness who Miss Kitten called a predator?"

"He's there to fuck the young and pretty boys so he can keep score, Eric. He's hunting cherries," Xander told him. "Like that kid in the purple and white flowered shirt."

Eric looked and just nodded at that. "How old is he?"

"Barely legal. They check ID's at Pink."

"Good. You sure he'll be there?" Xander ran the tape forward and nodded, pointing at him. "You're sure?"

"Yeah, I met him once or twice. We had the same taste once and he tried me once. He wasn't bad." Horatio frowned at that. "Sorry, boss, but only a handjob in the club. I needed the stress relief. It was like my third night in the city." He shrugged. "I'm twenty-two, Horatio. Of course I've had some meaningless sex. Though I don't really count handjobs or blows as sex but..." Eric covered his mouth. "Hey," he complained through it.

"More than we *ever* needed to know about your private life," Eric assured him. "TMI, Xander."

"Sorry." He ducked the hand. "Sorry, boss."

"Not a problem, Xander. It means I know you a bit better now. Which one would you have went after?" Xander pointed at one boy. "Slightly geeky?"

"Yeah, geeks need more love," he offered with a grin. "Plus I am a geek so it's a good thing and we can usually get along okay if we talk." That got a nod. "For dating?" He looked then pointed at one guy. "Him maybe? He's a bit outside my usual age range."

Eric looked at the picture then at him. "Really?"

"Really. Slightly older, not daddy older."

"I'll set you up with someone." He and Horatio shared a look behind Xander's back, getting a smile from the boss. "Okay, so we're going to go over what we can and then I'll deliver it back. We'll find that guy tonight."

"If he's not there, he's at the Diamond Collar or he's at Roughhouse. He wouldn't go somewhere like Tangy or Crass. Sorry, Craig's. It's tacky." He sighed. "If he's really wanting to go lower, he'll be down by the mall downtown. There's a small club down there but they're mostly barely legal guys. Shouldn't be too hard to find him."

"Good to know," Eric agreed. "Usually I don't have to hunt for clubs or people in the clubs. The last few Speed's had and Calleigh."

"That's because you could compromise things by knowing some of the witnesses, Eric."

"Speed clubs!"

"Yes, but you do it much more often," Horatio offered, giving him a look. Eric just grinned. "You two both club much too much. Settle in and read a good book." He walked out, closing the lab door behind himself. He ran into Speed. "They've found some leads."

"Good. One of the guys on patrol just pointed out Xander's gay to some of the other guys to try to make them quit cracking gay jokes. Reminded them that Xander had smacked the hell out of the one guy who made racial jokes around one of the ME interns."

"He can protect himself and I ordered him to call first, Speed."

"Yeah, but this isn't going to be pleasant."

"He can handle it. He's handled people who wanted to take him hostage to use against his father. He can handle this." Speed nodded, leaving it in his hands.

***

Horatio woke up when his phone rang a few nights later. He heard the panting and knew. "Xander?" He listened. "Stay there. Have you called anyone?" He nodded. "That's fine." His chest tightened. "I've got your back. Wait for me. No matter what the patrol officers say, you wait for me." He hung up and put back on clothes, hurrying out to help his boy. He found him cuffed and a few bodies being taken care of by the night shift. He looked at him. "What happened?"

"Van. Jumped out. Attacked. Defended myself. Called for help when I could," Xander said simply, nodding at the bodies. "They had weapons."

Horatio looked then at the night shift crew. "I am being kept informed."

"Yes, Lieutenant," one of them agreed. He looked at Xander. "No normal person can do this."

"Classified."

"Excuse me?" one of the officers asked.

Xander looked at him. "My father's a Fed."

"Oh." He considered that. "They had weapons?"

"They had guns. One pulled a gun. One had a bat. See, bat," he said, pointing his foot at it. "I was out for a walk." He looked down at himself. "See, no weapons." He looked at him again. "My dad's also a Marine."

"So, you're lethal?"

"If they had backed off, I wouldn't have touched them," Xander vowed. "I had no intention of doing more than making them go away. They jumped out of the van and jumped me. I defended myself and backed off when I could. Hell, I could've killed them all and didn't!" He looked at Horatio. "Four went to the hospital."

"I'll handle it, Xander. Let me handle it." Xander nodded and relaxed again. He looked over as Stetler parked and came over. "They're officers?" Everyone nodded. "All of them?" That got another nod and Horatio glared at Rick. "You are not crucifying my man for protecting himself."

"We'll see. What happened?"

Xander nodded at the van. "I was out for a walk. They jumped out and came at me. I saw a gun. I saw the bat by your feet. I defended my ass."

"How?"

"Self defense classes one summer and with my father," he said honestly.

Rick looked at him. "That's not normal self defense, Harris."

"I'm also a black belt in Tai Kwon Do."

"Interesting. Doesn't explain the snapped neck."

Xander sighed and looked at Horatio. "Call Dad?" Horatio stepped off to do that. "There's some extra training," he admitted. "And you still don't have a high enough rating. I'm getting it cleared. I have to get it cleared." Rick looked unamused. Horatio hung up and nodded. "May we step aside, Officer?" That got a nod. He walked him over to where Horatio was. "My father is Leroy Jethro Gibbs, head of DC's alpha NCIS team." Rick blinked at that. "Because of that and my experience in my former town, I was chosen for some special training out of Langley," he said quietly. "That included advanced self defense. The guy with the broken neck, I kicked it that way," he admitted. "He had the gun. I took it from him and he still kept coming. If he had backed off, I would have left it there. I had no desire or want to kill anyone or to maim anyone. I didn't want to do more than protect myself and drive them off."

"You're not sick yet?" Rick asked.

"I've seen death, Stetler. I'm from near LA. I've seen death for a lot of years. Right now, I'm disassociated. This is my first kill." That got a nod from Horatio. "I had no desire to hurt them. They jumped me and wouldn't back off when the first one went down. He's at the hospital. They saw him go down and came back as a group instead of individual attackers. I defended myself. That's all I did."

"All right. We're going to take you back to the station."

"Can the cuffs go? My hand's swelling. I broke my wrist. I'm not going to run and Horatio can go with me or you can."

"I will be. I can have the cuffs removed." He snapped his fingers and the officer came over. "Remove the cuffs and check his wrists." The officer grimaced but did that and Xander yelped so he looked. "That is broken."

"I know. The bat did it when I blocked a blow too far down." He held his wrist. "I'll cooperate. I wouldn't have kept going if they didn't keep coming. The guy with the gun, he had it cocked when I reacted."

"We'll see. Caine, by my car. You can follow us back." Horatio nodded, walking him over there. "What did you see?"

"I got here when the ambulances were about a block away. I don't know who called them. His phone doesn't keep a call log." He handed over that bag. "I saw him sitting on the ground, holding his hands and eyes squeezed shut." He looked at the kid then at him. "No way is he normal."

"His father's a Fed and got him special defense lessons to protect him. I know his father's reputation and he was probably snatched a few times," he said, covering slightly. Because he did not want a visit by the men in very dark suits in the middle of the night. That got a grimace from the officer. "Did we find a gun?"

"I don't know, sir. I called CSI and stayed out of the way once the paramedics had loaded four of them. CSI got here just before they walked off and heard where they were, then the ambulance headed with them. They weren't in good shape either." He looked at the kid, then the bodies. "Did he have to kill them?"

"He said they wouldn't quit coming. He also said this is his first kill."

"Interesting." He shuddered. "Maybe his daddy will be proud."

"Not his father. His father will rip the department a new one for his son being attacked by other officers for being gay." The guy gaped. "Harris is a CSI trainee. He's their gay intern. He was on the gay bashing case."

"They found out one officer's brother was the killer," Horatio offered. "They arrested him earlier tonight and Xander was off for a walk to clear his head."

"Don't sneak up on us," Stetler demanded.

"Sorry," he said, not meaning it. He looked at the officer. "Do we know the other one's names? He wanted to make sure they'd live."

"We do. I'll get you a report as soon as we get back, Lieutenant."

"Thank you." He looked at Rick, writing out a name. "His brother was arrested."

Rick walked over there and talked to one of the CSI, getting a point. He came back nodding. "Yeah, he's the one with the broken neck."

"Which means he had a gun on him," Horatio reminded him. He went back to Xander's side, letting him cry on him for now.

"This is so fucked," Rick complained. "Report to me immediately," he called. "If not sooner." That got a nod. He headed for his car. "In." Xander walked around and got in. Horatio went to get in his hummer. "We're going back to the station."

"Can I have an ice pack?"

"You can." He pulled away. "Truth, kid."

"About?"

"Your training."

"They want me back," he said bitterly. "I'd never work for the CIA but they used me to see what and how best to train some future agents. I have this training, some weapons, some explosives, some computers and hacking, and I learned how to build electronic things. Plus some field medicine. They'll live?"

"I'll be checking. You know you're in deep?"

"If they had stopped," he said quietly. "Gods, this is worse than Ari."

"Who?"

"Guy who shot one of Dad's team. He came after all us. I wanted to kill him for shooting Kate. I so wanted to kill him," he said quietly, putting his head back and closing his eyes. "These guys, I just wanted to back off. I had nothing to do with that. I don't even know why they did it."

"One of them was the brother of the man you arrested." Xander struggled with the door so he pulled over and let him get sick beside the car. "We're going to be talking. You will be on suspension until this is figured out or you are arrested."

"Agreed," he said once his mouth was cleared. "I expect nothing preferential and nothing different than anyone else. The same as I didn't in DC."

"Good. I don't play those games."

"That's why I came to Miami." He got back in and buckled up again. "Sorry. Shock."

"I've been there." He went on. He hated this kid. He really hated this kid. The fact that his phone had two voicemails from DC didn't make him like him any further. He let him ice his wrist and talk to Horatio while he waited on information. One he did call back. "You have information on his training?" he asked bluntly when she answered. She told him what she knew. "He said this is his first kill?" He nodded. "How violent is the boy?" He made mental notes. "Thank you." He hung up and looked over as one of the CSI came up to him. "Preliminary?"

"Autopsies are in process. I personally pulled one of the ME's who's not Woods." She looked at the kid. "He had a promising career."

"He said they wouldn't quit."

"We still wouldn't work with him." She looked at him again. "He killed three cops, Stetler. No cop will ever work with him."

"Then maybe he'll go Fed." He read it over. "The ones in the hospital?"

"Living. Bruised heavily. He disarmed and knocked them out by one's statement, then they both clammed up. One came up with the idea that he had been hunting them."

"So they just happened to be wearing all back and together with weapons on a street none of them live on?" She nodded. "Which side are you believing?"

"His but I still won't work with him." She walked off again. "I'll let you know."

"Thank you." He walked in there and sat down across from the kid. "Where do you live?"

"Hasbert. I was a few blocks from home. I was clearing my head after the gay bashing case," he said quietly. "The same as I do after abuse cases. I could've went to the club. I probably should have."

"Probably," he agreed. He stared into his eyes. "I've heard more on your training." Xander shrugged. "They said you're considered violent."

Xander snorted. "No I'm not. Nowhere in my dossier is a violence warning." He pulled out Horatio's phone and made a call. "Director, it's Xander. Yeah, you heard right. Then someone there told them...." He grimaced. "That fucking bitch." Horatio moaned. "Can you please give the IAB guy, Stetler, an accurate report? By fax is fine. Do you know the fax number?" He nodded. "Thank you." He hung up. "There'll be an accurate report from someone who doesn't hate me and want me out of the way faxed down within an hour if he has his way." He handed the phone back and leaned back again. "If he doesn't, my father will."

"You're going to rely on your contacts now?"

"Only for information to counter the BS you've been given. Let me guess, she sounded nice. She had a slightly deeper voice, it deepens on the phone. If she gave you her name it was probably Beth or Tiffany. Her actual name is Tiffany. I trained with her. The people who trained me want me back and she's one of their favorite ways of trying to get me back, by letting her do things like that." He looked at Horatio. "Did you get that call?"

"Speed did." He looked at Rick. "She told him he was violently unable to get along with others. That he was going to destroy the lab's personnel, hinted that he was a serial killer who got into our good graces and then we'd be killed."

"I see." He looked at the boy again. "Why?"

"Jealousy. I bested her scores in everything but bombs."

"As in disarming?"

"That too," Xander agreed. "I can also make a mean pipe or plastic explosive device. That was part of learning how to disarm."

"I see. The ATF agent...."

"Wanted me for that reason."

"Uh-huh." He made a note of that and a small stack of papers were walked in, half turned one way and half the other. "What's this?"

"They came in one right after the other," the secretary said. "I just collated by source and handed it over."

"Thank you." She walked off. He read through them. "You know how to do more than build."

"I do, but you didn't need to know that."

"True." He continued to read. Then he went to the second one. "Interesting. What was this?" he asked, putting a sheet from his disciplinary file in front of him.

He looked. "That was someone who tried to kill me in my sleep for being gay and making him have feelings again." He pushed it back. "His name's Patrick. He's one of their top interrogation people. We're closer now that he's healed from his cult-like family. I've backed him up in the past when he went in to arrest someone for questioning because he needed me to. He's also watched my back when I got back at the stupid stalker who had my dog. I kicked his ass and put him on the courthouse steps," he said honestly. "Earlier in the day he had tried to shoot Tony, one of my father's team, as well. He was a danger and I thought a broken nose, two black eyes, and some general soreness proved to him that he was not going to do it again. He didn't. He got help."

"What help could you use?"

"Right now, I could use a drink," Xander said honestly. He took the forms and put something in front of him, letting him see it. "That was two and a half years of my life before my father had me and I had drunk parents before then, Stetler. That comes from earlier. Pre-training."

"Do you combine them?" he asked blandly, looking at him. "This wasn't your first kill."

"It was. Things that go woosh and tinkle aren't human."

"I see." He looked at him. "They knew this?"

"They recruited me because of that," he told him. "I haven't hunted in years. When I moved to DC with my father, I fell back to a defense position. Unless they attacked me, I didn't do anything. The occasional brawl with someone who wanted to hurt my family is something completely different."

"All right. Let's move onto other things." He glanced at Horatio.

"I knew. His father was very honest once I cleared the security check and he saw that Xander looked at me like a mentor. I can honestly say that Xander hasn't hunted to my knowledge since he got down here."

"Interrupted a feeding but no," Xander agreed. "No hunting. Not in the last year, maybe fourteen months." He shrugged. "The only ones who usually bother me are the spooks who want me back and them I usually escape or avoid."

"Usually?"

"One I had to kick in the nuts to make him let me go."

"Oh." He went back through the disciplinary file. "One shooting review?"

"After Ari. They thought I should have killed him. I hesitated. A lot. Enough for my father to get there and Tony to talk me down." He swallowed. "Then later, when we got him again because someone in Langley helped him escape custody, I threatened him if he ever came after my family again. He got the point." He shrugged. "Last I knew he was still in Israel in a mental facility for the dangerously insane."

"Should you be in one?"

"No. I had a bad childhood," Xander said dryly, looking at him. "Big difference from his upbringing and training as an assassin."

"Assassin?"

"Yeah, who wanted to kill my father. He shot Kate in the throat. Me sneaking up on him threw his aim. He had been going for a headshot. He also tried to get me when I was alone a few days later when he escaped. He came up to the car Dad, Tony, and I were in after a Jimmy Buffet concert I had been at to taunt us that he was out. He shot Ducky's assistant and my dad to get away the first time I ran into him." He cracked his neck, then sighed. "Sorry, headache. Bad habit."

"I'd have a headache too. How many hits did they land?"

"Ten, twelve. Something like that. They went for overpowering numbers instead of cohesive unity. If they had backed off, I would have stopped and just called the ambulance for them. I might not even have pressed charges if they dropped their shit. I know I just made everything a lot harder on the other gay cops by protecting myself. Then again, if I hadn't, Horatio would've been called to a new body in the morning. There was no way they were going to leave me living. One of them joked that he'd be draping my intestines over me prettily like the lace I probably wore to the clubs to get fucked."

"Xander," Horatio said quietly.

"Verbatim."

"You're trained to remember things during a fight?"

"Hell yes. Aren't you?"

"Yes, but I don't achieve it."

"They got me when I was younger. I started there when I was sixteen, just before my seventeenth birthday, Stetler. Everything's easier when you're younger."

"Point." He stood up. "I'm going to check on the investigation."

"Go for it. I'll be here." He looked at Horatio. "You can head home."

"I'm here for all my people, Xander." Xander nodded, relaxing again. "Don't sleep. It'll look bad."

"I'm not." He leaned forward and rested his head on the ice pack over his wrist. "I have a headache."

"Did one hit you in the head?" Xander nodded. "Do you need someone to look at you?"

"No. I hate being fussed over."

"We need to document the wounds anyway," Horatio offered.

"Subdermal imaging still takes a few hours to appear. I can live that long, Horatio. Thanks anyway."

"That's fine. Let me get you something from my desk? Some tylenol?"

"Please." Horatio got up and went to get that, bringing back a scene kit to start collecting evidence. The boy had plenty on him. Stetler came back while he was doing that. "Would you please get him his sweats out of his locker so we can bag these?"

"Fine. That's a reasonable thing. Does he need more medical?"

"It'll take another few hours for deep tissue bruising to start. He said he can wait but he was hit in the head."

"I'm fine. I'm not concussed. I've hit many walls with my head in the past," Xander said bitterly. He looked at Rick. "They're okay?"

"They'll be fine with some rehab for the broken leg one guy has and some rest for the kick in the head you gave the other guy."

"Um, no, I didn't. He had a low pain tolerance. I cracked a rib and he went down. Unless he got kicked during the rest of the fight. I don't remember kicking him."

"We'll see if we can tell," Horatio offered. "Rick." Stetler walked off to get him the requested clothes. "Less open," he said quietly.

"Sorry but if I hide anything it'll seem worse. He already hates me because my father's a Fed and I'm trained."

"He does," he agreed. "For now, calm down." Xander nodded and forced himself to relax. "When do you think your father will be down?"

"I don't know. If he's in the middle of a case, he could send Tony or Kate. He sends Tony after me a lot." Horatio cracked a smile at that. "Then again, his boss is on special assignment. The new director was trained the same way but they don't call her into service unless it's something special. I'm hoping one of them is already on a plane." Someone came in and he looked at her. "Yes?"

"There is no way you did that without a weapon."

"My father's a Marine and a Fed. I got advanced self defense since people wanted to take me and from him," he said quietly. "Plus Tai Kwon Do club at school. I'm a black belt."

"That was not on your form."

"I didn't think it'd matter and I chose the SCA stuff to fill in the last spot instead. I figured it wouldn't come up." He shrugged then winced and hissed. "It was back in high school."

She sneered. "You know none of us will ever work with him again."

"Yes, my team will," Horatio assured her, glaring at her. She backed down. "He defended himself. They had weapons and he didn't." She stomped off. "Sorry."

"Thank you for the vote of confidence. She may be right though. Most cops won't want to work with me."

"Then we'll consider your internship over once you're cleared and we'll talk again next spring if I have room," he said quietly. Rick came back with a camera. "It's too early for that."

"I need ones of his wrist." Xander moved the ice pack and let him see it. "That is a nice bruise." He took a few pictures. "By the way, your father's not coming."

Xander slumped some. "Ordered not to?" That got a nod. "I thought his boss might. I know he's still behind me." He looked at Horatio then back at him. "Now what?"

"Now, we wait for the bruising so we can take pictures and I wait on more information."

"Do I have to wait here or can I run home to take a shower?"

"No, you have to wait here." That got a nod and Xander put the ice pack back over his wrist and leaned forward again. "Headache?"

"Yeah."

"Who called 911?"

"I did."

"Your phone doesn't say so."

"My phone doesn't keep a call log. It's got classified numbers in it."

"I see. So it's a security precaution?" Xander nodded. "I'll be getting the tape."

"Go for it," he said blandly. "My phone was staticky." Stetler walked back out and he looked at him. "You interrogate so much smoother."

"I wait for facts and then do it. He's doing this now because this looks very bad." Xander nodded that he knew that. "Are you sure you can handle this? Someone should go take statements from the officers."

"I'm sure he's thought of that."

"I meant someone good."

"Send Speed?"

"I can do that." He called him and moved over to the window. "Xander was attacked by some officers," he said when the phone was answered. "Three of them are dead. Four are in the hospital." He smiled. "Thank you." He hung up. "He'll head over." Rick came back. "I'm sending Speed to take their statements."

"We've already done that. They claimed Xander jumped them."

"No, Rick, I meant their real statements," Horatio noted plainly. "Ones where they aren't lying to get out of going to jail for assault and battery with a deadly weapon."

Rick swallowed. "That's against protocol."

"No one else here will take a real statement and you know Speed won't manufacture evidence."

"No I don't."

Xander looked up at him. "If he loved me like his own son he wouldn't do it. He won't do it to fix his own speeding tickets. He won't do it for me."

"Fine. We'll see what happens. He's to tape it."

"Of course." Horatio called him back. "Speed, Rick wants tape of the interviews. We're here. Thank you." He hung up. "That's fine. He's heading down to his bike now." He looked at Xander. "Let's see what the camera can pull up." Xander sat up and took off his shirt again, letting him take pictures of his chest and face. The shirt was bagged and he put on a clean one from his locker. Then he looked at the window, turning around modestly to let Horatio take pictures of his legs then putting on the sweats so his pants could be bagged. His shoes and socks were bagged too and he curled up in the chair since the floor was cold. Horatio taped down the bag and put it aside.

"Good. Now let's go over this again. If we have to, we can take more pictures," Rick noted, sitting down again. "You were where?"

"Someone's front yard getting around a puddle when they pulled in. The sidewalk was full of water."

***

Xander came off the plane at home four days later looking exhausted. He fell into his father's arms. "I'm sorry, dad."

"I'm not, son. You protected yourself. It was their own fault." He pushed him back to look at him. "Come on, let's head home."

"Who ordered you not to come?"

"Guess." Xander glared at someone nearby and he nodded. "Yeah, them. It's fixed."

"Thank you." Xander went to get his bag. "I'm not sure I can go back there next year."

"The confessed and one did it on camera," he reminded him.

"Dad, I still had to kill him to protect myself," he said quietly, stopping him to look at him. "If you were them, would you want to work with me?"

"Maybe. We'll see how it falls. Come on, I've got your bed made." Xander nodded and headed with him. "It'll be okay."

"No it won't be. If this gets around I won't be able to work anywhere. I should change my major," he said miserably. His father gave him a hug. "Thanks, but it's not helping."

"I know, son. I felt the same way after my first one."

"Stetler tried to say my violent past meant I slipped too easily."

"I heard that the FBI Profiler Corps had been called. I got his report. He cleared you on that too."

"Wonderful. So I'm clear but I don't have a career to go to. Just fucking grand." He grabbed his two bags and followed his father out to the car, tipping his seat back. "I need a nap."

"Do we need to have your wrist re-x-rayed?"

"No, the splint is fine. I haven't taken it off." He wiggled his fingers. "My gun hand too."

"We'll work it out, son. Would you like company tonight? Everyone wanted to come over."

"No. I want to sleep tonight. If the bitch is there, can I bean her with my splint?"

"I've already slapped her, son." He headed for home, going a bit slower this time so his son could fall asleep for now. He did look exhausted. He had gotten the final reports and personal updates from Horatio every few hours. Without having to nag for them. Caine appreciated his son. He had said as much. It had been good for him, even if this did suck. He finally made it home and found Abby there, scowling at her.

She snuck over and opened the door but Xander tensed. "Shh, it's just me. I'm helping you up to bed, Xander." He nodded and let her get one of the bags, trudging that way. She helped him into bed and tucked him in, then kissed him on the forehead. "I'm going to be downstairs if you need anything."

"My dog?"

"He's on the line, I'll let him in." She went to do that. "Blackie?" He came running to her. "The Xander boy is home." She let him go and he sniffed, then took off running to cuddle his daddy. She looked at Gibbs. "He's depressed."

"I would be too. Two cops twisted evidence to try to convict him for it. Three people died because they decided to attack him. I'd be depressed an angry too." He looked around. "No DiNozzo?"

"He's getting food and making a few calls. He'll be here by the time he wakes up." Gibbs nodded at that. "Will he be okay?"

"I don't know. He thinks his career is over with and no cop would work with him."

"Some probably won't want to. It sounded like the group he worked with down there liked him though and they backed him up fully. Some of the other shift did, that's how we caught the ones making evidence fit."

"True." He got a beer out and took a drink. He heard Xander shifting. "Go to sleep, son."

"Can't."

Gibbs walked up there and sat down behind him, letting his son cuddle him and the dog since the dog crawled into his lap to get more attention. "You're not the reason I'm up here," he told him, but he did scratch his ears a few times. "I'm proud you survived, son." Xander looked up at him. "After my first kill, I spent days shaking, puking, and then drinking heavily."

"I did drink when I finally got home. I had a bottle delivered so I didn't have to go back outside. Speed called last night to remind me to sober up enough so Eric could drive me to the airport today but I wasn't drunk by the time he called." He took the beer to have a drink then handed it back. "It'd be so easy to climb in and not come out."

"It is. Plenty of people have." He stroked over his hair. "Sleep. By the time you get up, DiNozzo while have finished the grocery shopping and we'll eat dinner." His son nodded and closed his eyes again, clutching the dog to him. Gibbs went back to petting the son, and occasionally the dog whenever he got begging looks, but mostly his son. "I would've been down there if they hadn't stuck us in a locked room with guards," he said quietly. "I nearly killed them for trying to keep me up here." He heard the door shut and looked up, seeing Tony coming up the stairs a few minutes later. "The shopping go okay?"

"Yeah, fine. I got him some new ice cream and a new bottle of liquor just in case." He came in and sat behind Xander, and he finished relaxing. "Why?" he asked.

"I don't know. They wouldn't tell me when I had my gun in their face," Gibbs admitted. "Fornell might know."

"I asked him. He doesn't or claims he doesn't. Morrow does. He called to say that it was not his idea. That the person who had decided to keep you up here is now banished to Antarctica." Gibbs snorted. "Yeah, I told him it wouldn't make him safe. He said the guy's committing suicide later." He shrugged. "Sounded like a good idea to me. Then again, I think the Director should as well."

"She'll get hers," he promised.

"In many ways," Tony agreed. They shared a look. They'd get together with the others later to see how they were going to torture their director for the boy. "How was he?"

"Depressed. Worried he's tanked his career."

"Caine said he'd be coming back."

"I'm not sure that's a good thing for him."

"I am," Tony said firmly. "Horatio supported him. He was there through most of the day and a quarter of questioning. He kept the press from following him home by having him snuck out in one of the hummers. He values Xander like we do."

Gibbs nodded. "Maybe." He finished the beer and tossed out the can, getting a bark from the dog. "What? It's in the trash can." The dog wiggled over and dug in there, finding his bone. "Oh, you didn't want beer on your rawhide. That's fine. Get back up here, dog." It hopped up to chew on it while the daddy held him. "You were the best gift I ever gave him, dog."

"He is," Tony agreed quietly, stroking over Xander's hair. He got an inquisitive grunt. "Just me, Xander." That got a sigh and a nod, and the boy went back to sleep. "Good boy." He looked at the dog then at the father. "You've done good. A less strong person might've already ended it all," he said quietly.

"I know. That's why he's staying here instead of his apartment for the next few weeks."

"I'll be fine," Xander mumbled. "I'm not like that."

"Tough, son."

"Yes, dad." He groaned and looked at Tony. "You were petting me."

"I was. I was trying to help you sleep."

"You could use the sleep, son. You look exhausted."

Xander looked at him. "Duh, dad."

"I know. Want to see what Abby's done to the kitchen?"

"No. Food's not high on my list at the moment." He got up and headed to the bathroom, his dog abandoning his wet, nasty chewtoy on his father's stomach to follow him.

Gibbs plucked it off and dropped it onto the floor. "Better that than your shoes or the boat," Tony offered. Gibbs shook his head but got up to check on his poor kitchen. Abby could create quite a mess when she was cooking in frustration. He found it spotless and something cooking. "Kate?" he called.

"Yes, it was me. I cleaned up Abby's bread mess." She came in off the back porch. "He up?"

"For a bit." Xander came down the stairs holding his dog with Tony behind him. "See?"

"Xander." She hugged him. "Are you all right?" He shook his head. "We'll handle it, Xander. It'll be okay. We'll even help you get revenge on the director and others."

"It was another move of theirs to get me back," he said bitterly. "I can go blow them up myself." He sat down across from Abby, letting her hug him. "I'm fine. My wrist doesn't even hurt."

"You still needed the hug." She shifted over to cuddle him. "Gibbs, Kate won't let me cook."

"That's because you make a mess," Tony reminded her, sitting down. He looked at his protege and buddy. "You have six weeks until school starts again." Xander nodded at that. "Why don't you take a week off and do some traveling? Get out of the states and away from things."

"Going where?" he asked, looking at him.

"London? There's some nice specials there right now." Xander nodded. "Plus a good nightlife and plenty of old places for you to go and stare at."

"Including the ancient penis carved on the hill," Abby reminded him. "All the old Druid stuff."

Xander let a small smile out. "I might." He snuggled in again. "You're nearly as good as a boy to cuddle, Abby."

She looked at him. "I know how you meant that but thanks, Xander." She smacked him on the back of the head.

"At least we know you're not dangerous since he's not going to date you," Kate teased.

"I'm very dangerous," she protested, kicking at her. "Meany."

"Only to some things, like my kitchen," Gibbs told her, looking at his son. "London's a pretty city," he offered quietly. Xander nodded. "It'll do you good to go forget for a few days and worry about not being mugged over there."

"No one mugs me. Except that vampire in the club that once."

"Not what I wanted to know, son," Gibbs admitted.

"He was more taunting, dad. Buffy sleeps with vampires, not me."

"Another fact I didn't want to know," he said dryly. "McGee not back yet?"

"Not yet, boss," Tony reported.

"His flight's coming in at nine tonight," Kate reminded him. "They locked us in a room and sent him off to go do computer stuff with an armed guard."

"More people I get to kick the ass of," Xander said semi-happily. They all smiled at that. It would be fun to watch him take apart those who had done this and kept them from going to help him.

***

Year Three of college:

Xander hung up the phone and looked at his father. "That was Horatio." His father looked out from the apartment kitchen. "He wanted me to come back. He said no one's going to hold it against me."

"I told you so."

"Dad...."

"Xander, they used it to clean out the department. There were a lot of bad people who got arrested thanks to that. Even if they hated you they wouldn't come near you."

"That doesn't mean they'll help me if I get into a firefight either."

"You'd better not." He flipped the steak over. "It's nearly done, set the table?" Xander nodded and went into his kitchen to find his new plates. His father had agreed he could move off campus when his latest romance had blown up in his face. He now knew not to date a teacher, even if he wasn't yours. He settled into his seat while his father brought the food out. "So, what're your plans for this summer if you don't go?"

"I was thinking I'd try Paris? Or maybe Cancun again?"

"You can do Cancun on spring break, like everyone else, son." He handed over his son's steak and then put his own onto his plate, getting up to get knives. "When is Tony coming over?"

"Later. He had a dinner date." He dug into his steak and ate a bite, chewing slowly. "You'll have to show me how to do this some day."

"I can do that." He looked at him. "I'm proud you managed to keep your grades up last semester when he tried to get you expelled."

"Me too." He shook his head. "Do you really think I should?"

"I really think you should," he agreed. "The same as I think you should ask about permanent placements after you graduate next year." He ate another bite. His son pouted. "We won't have an opening unless someone on the team dies and I'm not ready to retire yet."

"Point." He shrugged. "Maybe it'll be an easy summer?"

"Maybe. Then you can do Paris." Xander smiled at that. "Plus, DiNozzo's going to be moving this summer. His building's up for sale. Maybe he'll sublet off you while you're down there."

"He could if he'd watch the dog."

"I can watch the dog."

"Dad, you forgot to feed him while we moved me."

"Point. Fine, he can watch the dog part of the time." Xander smiled at that. "Eat more. You've lost some weight."

"That was that killer flu I got."

"I remember. You puked on me twice." He ate another bite and Xander blushed but did the same. "Potatoes?" That bowl was handed over and they decided to eat the other stuff they had cooked too. "How is this semester going to look?"

"Eighteen hours, including physics," he complained. "I'm tempted to call Speed and ask if he can explain stuff to me."

"You can only ask. It might help." Xander nodded and dug into his corn. "Anything else?"

"No. No boyfriend. A few playmates but no new boyfriend." He sighed and ate another bite. "How hard is it to find a real boyfriend?"

"It can be very hard."

"You found three wives."

"I was looking for different things. It's not hard to find the wrong sort, son."

"Oh, I know. The leather daddy I almost kinda dated proved that."

"Was he the one who spanked you so bad you got blisters?"

"Yup."

"You okay now?"

"Yup. I can sit again. He was out that next day and I can sit again." He ate another bite and got up when someone knocked, letting Tony in. "Your date tank early?"

"Had to run home to save her babysitter from her two-year-old."

"They're cute at that age."

"They may be, but I'm not sure I could handle kids." He walked in and sat down in the spare chair. The table only had three chairs to save space. The other side was tucked against a wall. He looked around. "This looks really nice, Xander. Good job decorating. Most guys your age decorate in Budweiser mirrors and pictures of dogs playing poker."

Gibbs shrugged. "At his age, I had a tent." He looked at him. "You can eat. Plates are above the stove." He went to get one and dished up some of he veggies. Xander cut a third of his steak off and gave it to him with a smile. "We were talking about next summer."

"Horatio called me first to get his number," Tony admitted, looking at Xander. "Go. You need to get back on that horse. Working with us is different." Xander nodded and smiled, relaxing. "Good boy." He patted him. "Where's the dog?"

"Sleeping in the bedroom."

"Ah." He leaned back to look in there, smiling at the cuteness. "He likes your laundry."

"He likes how I smell." Tony settled in to eat. "Are you going to run away from my kids if I ever have any ?"

Tony looked at him. "If you ever have kids, I'm going to use them to get you back for making me go to all those damn raves." Xander beamed at that. "The same as I will show them every single blackmail picture I have of you. You'll be a good lesson in why you don't date women."

"With his luck, he'll draw the sweetest things after we've turned him gay," Xander teased. "Then what'll he do?"

"Be bi, like you are," Gibbs said practically. "It works for you."

"I do try," he said with a shit-eating grin. "I was thinking about coming back a week late and traveling," he told Tony. "Dad said I can hit Cancun again during the break. What do you think about Paris?"

"It's a beautiful city," Tony agreed. "You'll like it." Xander beamed. "You never did show me that last roll from London."

"No and for good reason, Tony. I'm not giving you any more blackmail for my future hellions than you already have."

Tony smirked. "Was he cute?"

"Very and a Lord." Gibbs choked at that. "Don't tell me you heard about that stupid duel?" His father nodded while he drank. "Ooops? Not my idea."

"Better not have been," he said when he had calmed his breathing down again.

Tony looked at him. "Let me guess, they were both growling like you were the bitch in heat and you told them to go fight it out, quipped about a duel?" Xander nodded. "I've seen girls do that over me before." Gibbs smacked him on the head. "Sorry, boss, but I have." He grinned at Xander. "What're you going to do with this place."

"Dad suggested you might sublet it while I'm gone if you had to move this summer because your building was being sold." He cut into his steak and ate a piece.

"I could do that and you do have some very nice electronics," Tony agreed, looking at the system he had helped Xander build. Then back at the boy. "If I have to, I'll consider it. How much is your rent?"

"Six hundred. All utilities included. It's a college student special." He grinned. "Including cable and internet. I've found some very nice and happy chat rooms recently."

"You need to date, son, not diddle in the dark," Gibbs said dryly.

"I haven't been. I can't read the monitor in the dark. It's not bright enough." His father moaned and got up to get some more water. "Sorry, dad."

"That's okay, son. Whenever DiNozzo's around your mind hits the gutter." He came back and had a glass for Tony too. "Would they let you do that?"

"Yeah, I already asked about the summers and they said I could continue to pay rent or sublet it to another student or someone for the summer. But if there was problems I was responsible and for getting them out when I came back."

"That's fair enough," Tony agreed. "Classes?"

"Physics again," he moaned. "I hate physics."

"It'll be fine," Tony assured him. "Call Speed to see if he'll help if you get stuck that badly again. What else?"

"My Econ mandatory. My last sociology. Two labs. And my last PE requirement for stress relief."

"Good. Sounds pretty well balanced," Gibbs offered. "Not too hard. Did you get your internship hours submitted?"

"Yup, which is why I won't have a last semester," he said proudly. "Those are usually all internship hours. Between all the time I spent at NCIS and down in Miami, I've got enough hours to donate." He looked at his father. "Can I still come in and help?"

"Of course. Sheppard is off that rant again." He smiled and his son grinned back. "We'll be fine, son. Don't forget to tell Horatio that you accept." Xander got up to do that before he forgot. He looked at Tony. "Storage shouldn't cost you that much for your furniture."

"No, not at all, and it'll mean I'll have the time to look for a place with more potential. My present one is tiny and a hole." Gibbs nodded. "I'm thinking a singles condo community." His boss looked amused. That told him all he wanted to know. Xander was babbling happily. "Let him eat, Xander."

"He said he's not. He's doing paperwork and I'm an enticing reason to quit for the night." He grinned and laughed. "Sure. Can I call Speed if I get stuck in physics this time?" He beamed. "Thanks, Horatio. Yeah. And on time even. Since I've got all my practical hours out of the way I can load up this semester and next semester to graduate on time and take it easy my last one with my two art electives and two forensic classes. Thanks." He hung up and bounced back. "He said I gave him a break so he's going to go home and eat. He said everything had been worked out and I'd be safe this year. Nothing was going to be said. He also said I could bug Speed all I wanted. He was being morose and grumpy again."

"Email him later," Tony suggested. "Warn him in advance."

"Bring the kilt this time," Gibbs offered. Xander giggled at that and kicked him under the table. "Eat." His son dug in again, eating even faster now. The two older men shared a look. Xander had been worried about that, it had shown over the last semester. That's probably why he had taken up with the Childhood Education teacher.

***

Frank Tripp, one of the detectives that worked with Horatio, paused when he saw the clunker pulling in. He smiled at the boy. "You haven't replaced that yet?"

"Dad hinted I'd get a new one for graduation so why bother? I can add more oil every few weeks and stuff so this clunker keeps running." He grinned and shook his hand. "Was Horatio right, it's going to be okay?" he asked quietly.

"It'll be fine. They used that to start a long discussion on sensitivity and how to respect the officers around you, and warned everyone that if they ever attacked another officer, he'd better be a bad guy with a badge." Xander relaxed and smiled. He looked the boy over. Jeans but not too tight. Nicer shirt. Shorter hair. "He's in the office, kid."

"Thanks, Frank. See you soon I'm sure." He walked inside and to the receptionist for the lab. "Hi, Intern Harris reporting for duty. Can you please tell the Lieutenant?"

"Of course," she said cheerfully, calling him. "Sir, there's an intern here reporting for duty?" She looked at him. "A day late?" she asked dryly.

"Car broke down in Georgia. It took a day to fix it. I called Eric."

She laughed. "Eric just now told him, sir. It'll be a few. He'll send someone down to get you." He smiled and nodded. She made a note in her log. She knew that name from somewhere. She looked the boy over, seeing how he was standing. That's when it clicked. She almost felt sorry for the boy. Things were better now but it'd be a rough summer for him.

Speed came off the elevator. "He said you were coming back." He looked Xander over. "Better than Eric today," he decided, nodding. "Let's go." Xander grinned and shook his hand, following him into the elevator. "How did physics turn out?"

"C, enough to pass."

"I had a few of those. You're still riding a three-something in GPA, right?" Xander nodded. "Then you're fine."

Xander looked at him and pouted some. "Dad said there's no room at NCIS until someone dies or he retires."

"Talk to the boss about that, Xander." They got off and he frowned, stopping him. "Kilt?"

"Kilt. Abby's idea." He beamed and snuck up behind Yelina to goose her, making her shriek. "Most women don't make that sort of noise on me," he teased, earning a hug. "Yes, it's me. I'm back. Horatio said so. He was very forceful and manly on me even."

She laughed. "Good. You need someone like that to make sure you behave this time and don't have too many candy bars for lunch." She smiled at Speed. "Horatio just went into Interrogation Two."

"Thanks. We can wait in the office." He walked Xander up there, looking at him. "She would've smacked anyone else."

"I know." He grinned. Then he squealed and pounced Alexx, making her smile and squeeze him. "I'm back."

"I can see that. It's about time. Haven't you replaced that car yet?"

"Dad hinted I might be getting one for graduation so why bother." He shrugged and smiled at Eric. "Hi."

"Hi, Xander." He patted him with a folder. "H will be done soon." He walked off smiling. He did bring some energy back into the lab on the bad days. "Calleigh, he's back!" he called when he walked past ballistics.

"Good, he can work with the new kid," she called, shoving someone out of her lab. "Go. Shoo!" He sighed but walked off, going to bug Speed. Speed just gave him a look and he scurried off.

Xander looked down at him. "Woose," he said dryly. "My dog scowls better than the one he gave him."

"Yup," Alexx said dryly. "Kilt?"

"Did Tony send down that picture?"

"Yup," she said, smirking at him. "You did look adorable." She pinched his cheek.

"All Abby's idea. It's still in my closet even." She walked off laughing. He turned and found Rick Stetler standing there. "Horatio invited me back."

"I still don't like that I can't prove you called for help."

"That's not my issue. I know I did and I don't need this shit. But the next time I get gay bashed, I'll call you first, okay?" The man growled and stomped off. "Thanks, dear." He waved and headed for interrogation two, giving Horatio a puppy eyed look through the window when he caught his eye. He saw him fight not to smile and winked, nodding back toward his office, getting a nod. So he headed back there. "He's breaking bad on someone and I have to find a motel to live in."

"You can have my couch," Eric offered.

"That would seriously crimp your dating for the next two days, Eric."

"Not like I bring them home," he noted dryly. "We go to her place or a motel. It's safer."

"Isn't that what backseats are for?" the new guy offered. They all glared at him and he scurried back to ballistics but she had locked him out. He knocked and she threw something at the door.

"That's the universal sign for 'go get me chocolate, probie'," Xander called. "Have fun." He went to do that with a huff. He shook his head. "New intern?" They all nodded. He rolled his eyes. "Can I have him?" Speed and Eric smirked and nodded. "Cool." He gave them his most insane look, turning around at the cough. "Hi, boss. Sorry about the car breaking down."

"It happens to the best of us, Xander. Where are you going to be staying?"

"I'm not sure yet. I have a few couch options until I can find a cheap motel." He shrugged. "I get the new probie, right?"

Horatio smiled. "Yes, Xander, you can help mold him as you were molded. Come on, let's get your ID and badge, then you can help someone with something." He walked him up there. "You can have my guest room for a few nights."

"That would get in the way of dating and I do have to catch up with someone," he said quietly. "It won't be more than a day. I'll check back into the same place as last time." That got a nod and Horatio pulled out the ID packet from his desk. Xander looked over everything and adjusted a few things, then signed them and handed them back.

"Your clearance got raised?"

"Yeah, I kinda got locked in a room I shouldn't have known about in the FBI building a few months back. For, like, twelve hours. They decided I probably read things so they upgraded me at Fornell's urging since he sent me down there. It let me help him on a case he'd been having problems with."

"Well played on his part. I'll have to remember that." He smiled. "Go help Calleigh. She's frustrated with the bullets she's got. They're magnetized." He nodded and bounced off, making Horatio shake his head. That boy was a breath of fresh air. Even when the new intern did scream and run off, babbling about them hugging in the labs.

"He's *gay* you idiot," Eric complained loudly. "I'm sure he's not having sex with her in ballistics." He walked that way. "When you're done, I could use some help."

"Mental?"

"Car."

"Okay." Xander got done hugging her and went to help her with the funny bullets.

***
Part 5 by voracity
Xander looked at the wreck of a car, frowning. "This was driven?"

"It was but I can't see how," Eric admitted. Xander wiggled into the front seat and into position. He was leaned back but you could see. "We can't find any prints of who had it. The VIN leads back to the fact it was a safety tester car and scrapped afterward. Looks like someone was buying it to fix back up."

Xander wiggled. "You can't find the ignition this way. You'd have to look. Did we print it?" Eric nodded. "Did we do skin and DNA swabs?" Eric looked at him. "How many times have you had to look down to see where the key goes?"

"About a third of the time I get in." He got him some swabs. "Here you go." Xander shifted to swab the areas. He even let him deliver the swabs to see if there was anything on them. Eric got in there to print the places Xander had touched with his gloved hands. He hadn't been able to figure out how to get into the car, much less out. Now he knew. You wiggled like you were dancing.

Xander came back an hour later. "There be DNA. Nothing else. Only one swab had anything." Eric smiled and he handed it over. "We have a heavy breather who had some mucus.

Eric cheered and smiled, looking it over. "It's a suspect. Let's go talk to him." Xander nodded and walked off with him. "No flirting either."

"Of course not. I'm looking for more serious than playmate but not permanent boyfriend material now."

"Good. I'll introduce you to some people I know." It would calm him down. He saw the new guy talking to a few patrol officers. "Are you coming or not?" he called. "You're Xander's intern and he's on my case now. Get your jacket." He ran to do that and came back. Xander grinned at him. "It'll be fine."

"I'd hope so." He smiled at Jessup when he ran into him. "Hi," he said quietly, giving him a hopeful look. The guy hugged him and he finished relaxing. "They're okay?"

"They understand it wasn't your doing. They know your daddy's a Marine and they expect you to open cans of whoop ass on people now if they attack you. We won't worry about you as much anymore." He let him go. "There, now go work. The new rookie's annoying."

"Calleigh locked him out," he muttered, getting a smile. "We're going to talk to someone. Be back later." He got into the back of the hummer. "So, what do we have on him? I printed without reading."

"We have one juvie arrest that's sealed. He was a pretty young kid. Probably shoplifting and he did community service. So let's see if he had a hit and run." He drove them off, glancing at the rookie. "You can ask questions to get up to date on the case, Parsons."

"The crashed car, right?"

"Right. That one."

"How would you drive that?"

"The wheels are clear, the engine ran," Eric offered. "Xander figured out how you'd sit."

"I'm guessing but I'd think he had bought it to fix it up again," Xander told him. "A lot of guys do that." They pulled into a nice driveway and he smiled. "Yeah, he's a car guy. Tony has that same toolchest." He got out and followed Eric to the door, getting a confused looking woman.

"Ma'am, is Neal home?" Eric asked politely. "We'd like to ask him about a car we think he's acquainted with."

"He's in the garage somewhere. If not, he's at the store. Is this about the one he reported stolen?"

"Quite possibly," Eric agreed. She nodded and pointed. They walked back to the garage, not finding him so they waited.

Parsons looked at Xander. "You're gay?"

"Yes. I am. Technically I'm bi. I've had women but I only dated deadly women who wanted to kill me." He shrugged. "I gave up since I liked men more anyway."

"Don't you know that's wrong?"

"Not by what I believe. If you do, then you can talk to Horatio so he can arrange it so you don't work with me very often."

"Hate to tell you this, kid, but a good eighth of the department is gay or bi," Eric told him. "You've worked with at least one other." He went pale at that. "Get over it and grow up. Your personal opinions are not part of the job. I don't like the guys Xander dates, I think he's got bad taste, but that doesn't mean I can't work with him and he's got a lot he can teach you if you'd listen." He looked at the kid coming up the driveway on a bike. "Neal?" He waved him in. "Delko, Harris, and Parons with the crime lab. We wanted to talk to you about a car."

"The one I reported stolen?"

Xander looked in the file. "I didn't find mention of that. Do you know the plate number?" A copy of the report was found in a drawer and handed over. "Thank you." He read it over while Eric took the lead.

"Do you know this car?" Eric asked, showing him a picture.

"Um. No. Not right off. Why?"

"Your DNA was found on the ignition," Xander told him, looking at him. "This is a Caddy, Eric." He handed it over. "That one was a junked safety tester model. During an examination of it, we found your DNA on it. Can you explain that?"

"Can I see the picture again?" It was handed over. "Um, maybe. My friend Rod went to the junkyard to get a new fixer car. You know, something to tinker with on the weekends? You can get them for like two hundred bucks there. I crawled all over it to see what he needed. Where was it?"

"Right around the key hole," Eric said, taking notes into the file. "Like you were bending closer while you put the key in."

"I've done that," he agreed, still frowning. "Like I said, I crawled all over it. How did you know it was mine?"

"Your juvie record. A swab was taken at the same time as your fingerprints," Xander told him.

"Oh." He nodded at that. "Um, well. You might check with Rod. He lives up the street. Was it abandoned or something? I knew it had a working engine but structural damage."

"It was abandoned, right next to a body that had been hit by it," Eric told him.

"Definitely not me. I shoplifted some candy," he said quietly. "I paid it off, guys."

"That's why we're doing this in the garage instead of downtown," Xander assured him, giving him a look. "Anyone else who might've had access to the keys?"

"Only Rod. He only got it a few days back."

"Thank you. Which house?"

"The peach hacienda." He pointed. "He ran over someone?"

"We're not sure yet," Xander said. "Do not call him when we leave." The boy nodded. "Thank you for your help and we'll check impound with the report later." That got a smile. "Parsons." He walked out after them. "Good lead," he said quietly. "We walking?"

"It's only four houses. We can," Eric decided, heading that way with him. Someone inside came running out of the house and took off up the street. "Hey!" The man looked at him and put on more speed. "Go get him, Parsons." He ran after the kid at a jog. Xander shook his head and took off as well, one hand on his gun to keep it in place while he ran. He pounced the guy, bringing him down. Eric caught up and Parsons did eventually. "You've got to do better, Parsons." He looked at the kid. "Are you Rod?" He shook his head, looking scared. "Did you do anything with this car?" he asked, holding up the picture."

"No, sir, I thought this was about the hacking stuff," he wailed.

"No, kid, that's the FBI," Xander told him. "I know a few I can call if you don't talk." He stood up him and dusted him off efficiently. "Now, you knew something about that car. Your eyes moved away from the picture when you were shown it. Give."

"I swear, I don't."

"If you're lying, you can be considered an accomplice," Xander noted coolly. "Last chance."

He swallowed and looked at them. "We wanted to see if the engine ran and took it out."

"Who's we?" Eric demanded.

"Rod and me. He's my big brother. We laid it down on a little country road. Then we hit a deer. Rod hustled me into a cab and away from there, we left the car and the deer there."

"Parsons, take him to the hummer and sit him in the back," Xander ordered, handing him over. "We'll verify his story downtown." That got a nod and he walked the kid off. They went to find Rod. Their mother was standing in the doorway. "Ma'am, your son just admitted to being at the scene of an accident and fleeing, plus hacking," Xander said grimly. "He said he hit a deer. There was a dead girl instead." She went pale. "We need to speak to Rod about this as well."

"He's in the bathroom. He's been there a lot," she said grimly.

"He probably shielded his brother, but we'll be taking him downtown to take his statement and see what happens," Eric said more gently. "Please?" She nodded, letting them inside. This was clearly stupid, panicking kids instead of malicious acts. They found the kid getting sick.

Xander squatted down beside him, moving his hair off his sweaty forehead. "My first kill I puked too," he said quietly. The kid gave him a horrified look. "Deer?" He shook his head, looking miserable. "Rinse and spit, brush your teeth. We're going to talk downtown. Your mother can follow us."

"She'll kill me."

"She already knows, kiddo," Eric told him. "We'll have to see what happens." The kid was helped up and brushed his teeth, gargling mouthwash as well. Then they led him out.

"What were you hacking?" Xander asked. The kid moaned. "I ask because I know a hacker. Virus, sites, games?"

"Games. Hacking games to make them free for whoever wants them. The game designers are already paid and the companies make too much off innocent kids. They're greedy. They're in it to suck the blood out of us."

"They are. That's the capitalist system," he agreed. He put him into the back. "Parsons?" He came back. "Into the back." He slid in to drive. Eric got shotgun. The rookie got the back with the two kids. "I will make you two a deal. We will go talk about the wreck. I will not ask anything about the hacking. I will not call my contacts in DC about you hacking those games. That is me though." That got a nod. "The rest is up to Eric. He's the guy beside me." He flipped on some music and grimaced. "Who was in here last?" he complained. "Polka?"

"I think Speed did it to frustrate Horatio," Eric said dryly. "He needed stress relief recently."

"Yay. I'm here." He pulled back onto the main road and headed back to the station. "Are we agreed, boys? You'll give us the truth and let us talk to the DA's for you? You can still have lawyers or your parents present if you want. Rod, you're how old?"

"Seventeen, sir. Chad's only fifteen."

"Then you'll need a parent or someone to act in your interests anyway. That should be a parent."

"She'll kill us," Chad moaned.

"I told her, she hasn't yet and she's right behind us," Eric offered. "We'll see what comes out." They nodded. "Do you three have a deal?" They nodded. "Good. Thank you. Lying makes us cranky." They pulled into the station and walked the two kids inside, past Horatio. "H, you're needed." He nodded and followed with the parent. Eric stopped them. "We made a deal with them," he told the parent and Horatio. "Xander and I will not ask a thing about their hacking as long as they tell us the truth and don't try to BS us. You're still going to be in there. They can still have a lawyer and everything. Right now, the truth will be better for both boys. Your younger son may not be in as much trouble."

The mother nodded. "That's reasonable. They're hacking?"

"They're very anti game corporation," Eric said with a small smirk. "They're hacking them to get free registry keys."

"That'll stop too," she assured them. "I can call them a lawyer?"

"Yes, before they say a word," Horatio agreed. "Eric?"

"Hit and run. The younger son said his brother told him it was a deer. They were out to try out the new tinkering project's engine."

"So they planned to rebuild it but they wanted to test out the engine, going for a joy ride. How old?"

"Seventeen and fifteen," the mother said. She pulled out her phone, calling their father. "It's me. We're at the police station. No, apparently that new junker you bought with them was taken for a ride already and they hit someone." Eric nodded. "It's bad. They're not going to mention the hacking at this moment that Chad admitted to before he realized what they were there for. I'm going in. That was the deal. They wouldn't lie and they wouldn't do anything with the hacking."

"It's possible that they could deal for a lighter sentence or simple probation," Horatio offered. "Depending on what they say and what the evidence shows." Eric handed over the folder. He nodded, it was pretty clear cut. "The DNA sample?"

"He admitted he crawled all over it for them to see if it was able to be rebuilt," Eric offered.

She hung up and nodded. "If you're talking about Neal? He did. He did it in our driveway. Is he in trouble?"

"We found his DNA in there. As long as he wasn't involved in the crash he has nothing to worry about."

"Good. He's a good kid. Tinkering with cars keeps him out of trouble." She sighed and looked at her sons. "How bad are we looking at?"

"At the worst?" Horatio offered. "Vehicular or involuntary manslaughter, ma'am. At the best, probation. At least for the driver. The passenger, if he didn't know and therefore couldn't help, probably just a warning."

She nodded. "The sad thing is, Chad was probably driving." She walked in there, sitting across from them. "Which one of you was driving?" Chad slowly raised his hand. "You didn't look at what you hit?"

"I looked out the window, momma," Rod said, starting to sniffle. "I was trying to protect him."

"Then we'll see what we can do, but you're both in very serious trouble. If I had known about this, I would've brought them your mutilated corpses, boys. You'll be honest, you'll do your punishments, and then we'll move on as a family somehow. Your father is coming down." Both boys blanched at that. "Being honest will probably keep him away from you at least for a few hours. We'll be making a deal." They nodded. "Thank you." She looked at Xander. "You're very young."

"I'm a last year intern," he said quietly. "This is my second summer interning here, ma'am."

"Then someone obviously raised you right."

"My father's a Marine."

"Military school. That's a good idea." She glared at her boys, both of who nodded at that and slunk down. "Hacking?"

"Not in here," Xander warned. "Anything they say in here can be used against them in a court of law. I've already read their rights to them once they were sitting in here."

"Thank you." He nodded and left them alone for a minute, letting Horatio have it since this case was going to take some skillful bargaining with one of the ADA's. She looked at him. "It's not ideal."

"It never is," he agreed. Someone knocked and Horatio opened the door, letting in an older man. "Their attorney or their other parent?"

"Both. Richard Haslet, I usually do estates." He glared at his boys. "They were read their rights?"

"The nice young CSI intern with the dark hair said he did it while we talked," she assured him. Both boys nodded. "They have a deal in place that we won't mention their computer gaming issues and they won't lie. The other one there will try to help us with the DA's office if they agree."

"Good." He looked at him. "You're a full CSI or a detective?"

"Lieutenant Caine. I run the lab. My people brought it to me because it does look like an accident so far and I can bargain better."

"It was, I swear it was," Chad said, looking at him. "I didn't want to hit anyone! Rod looked and told me it was a deer. If I had known it had been a person, I'd have helped. I didn't want to kill anyone, sir, really." He turned pale and Horatio helped him to the trash can.

"That explains why you've been sick, Rod," his father noted. He nodded slumping down more. "Sit up." His son sat up. "Thank you. May we have a moment?" Horatio nodded and let him talk to both boys about what had happened. He opened the door a minute later. "Can I see the evidence?"

It was handed over. "Only one thing pointed at someone else."

"Neal. He was helping us. It's not unusual to find DNA from that I'm sure." Horatio shook his head. "Is he in trouble?"

"As long as he wasn't in the car, no."

"No, they said he wasn't. Can you get us someone to talk deal with? Before they make a statement?"

"I can. Let me call. Wait in here and I'll send him some water." He went to do that, nodding at Eric. It had been a good sign that both boys had been sick about this and they were willing to cooperate. It meant this was the only time they'd be seeing them and with a nice ADA and judge, they could seal their juvenile records when they turned eighteen.

***

Xander walked outside later that afternoon, sighing and tipping his face up to enjoy the sun and wind. "Nice breeze. Good breeze." He heard a cough and looked over at the new rookie. "What's up, Probie?"

"You're a Fed?"

"No, my father's a Fed. I've interned with him." He lifted his face again. "NCIS is a lot more demanding than it is here. Horatio's downright understanding when things take time."

"They know you're gay?" he asked bitterly.

"He's known since he found me at sixteen."

"Oh." He considered it. "It's still wrong."

"And that's still an opinion and this job is not about opinions, hunches, or gut instinct. It's about facts. The fact is, I'm a damn good CSI. I had three summers plus many afternoons up there before I came down here last year to do my first official internship for my college courses. I came in very well trained from up there." He looked at him again. "A word of advice, probie. If you let your opinions and emotions cloud the job, you're going to find yourself a bitter person because people are human and they won't ever live up to your full expectations. You'll also get burned out very quickly because we deal with the scum of society and sometimes nicer people like earlier. They were two scared kids who had not a clue how serious what they did was. Eric and I agreed on that point. Calleigh might've read them the riot act and not gone as far as we did. She'd have talked to the DA's office but they'd probably be up on hacking charges too. Those are federal and the boys would be doing time for it. You'll learn to grow some instincts that'll tell you when it's a bad thing done by bad people or an accident or something like self defense. And then you'll start to trust them. Every now and then they're still wrong. Even Horatio has the wrong instinct now and then. You'll learn if you can keep your biases off the job. The more you bias things with your opinions and emotions, the more likely you are to end up being charged for tampering with evidence to make it fit your view of what happened instead of letting the evidence speak as it should."

"Last summer....."

"I know about last summer, I was there."

"You were in the labs when that guy was attacked?"

Xander stared at him for a minute. "No, I'm the guy they attacked." He went pale and backed off. "All I did was defend myself. That's the worst case scenario of what happens if you let your emotions and biases rule you during a case. I let mine rule me so I could get onto the gay bashing case. I knew very well some of the community wouldn't talk to the police for fear of being ignored or biased against, or even outed." He moved closer. "The one thing you will need on this job is the ability to deal with people. No matter who and what they are. I don't care if they're sleeping with their cat. If they're a victim, we speak for them, even if it does make us want to bathe in bleach to do so. If they're a suspect we act against them, even if they're the Pope and a saint. Understood?"

That got a nod. "Good. That's the most important lesson you will learn. It's a hard one. It's one we all struggle to deal with. The same as we all struggle to deal with child murder and abuse cases. The same as most of us struggle with rape cases because we want to hurt the person who did it. After your summer here, take the rest of the summer and think about whether or not you can do this every day for the next thirty years. Because that's what they want out of you. Every day, every year. No matter what the case is, you've got to go on. Even if it squicks you. Even if it makes you hurl. You've got to be there to speak for those who can't or won't. No matter if they're a saint or a predator."

"I understand. It's a hard thing."

"It is. We're more responsible for someone being arrested than anyone else on the force. If we say someone's guilty, even if the evidence is shown later on that they're not, they'll be guilty their whole life," he said quietly. "Just like doctors, we have a person's life in our hands and it's our job to see that the right ones get what they deserve. That's why you work carefully. That's why you work within protocols. That's why you listen to those who do this every day. I don't know how many afternoons I've subbed in for my father after class. Even back in high school I was helping around the office, if only making it more lively during a bad case," he said quietly. "Now it's your turn. If you want to be a CSI, this is what will tell you. This summer is going to be hard. You're going to cry. We'll have at least one child murdered, probably by their parents, statistically speaking. We'll have at least one person who was raped and then killed. We'll have a few people who were robbed and killed. We'll have some who were kidnaped. We'll have a very full summer. Take all this and figure that out. Also figure out if you can stand dealing with people. Narrow viewpoints are what can drive you nuts in this job."

"So keep my opinions in my diary and get some emotional distance?"

"If that helps. I still feel every single case. Horatio does too. So does Speed. Calleigh can do some distancing now and then. Eric can too. Some others can. Take the time to figure out your style. We all do things differently. I started out here being Speed's intern. We mesh very well on viewpoints and styles of work and dealing with things. Even if he does think I have crappy taste in men." He shrugged and grinned. "The world is a wider spot than you're used to. Let it go and focus on the crimes. By the end of the summer you'll know your style. Then you'll have your trainee year once you hit a lab. Pick a lab that works like you do. An intense guy, one who's all force, shove, and power, won't work here. He'll work well in New York. Their lab is great at that and their boss up there is a Marine so they work on his standards of inhuman perfection. Vegas is a bit more laid back but still a bit pushy, just a more subtle pushy. Miami is a lot of undercurrent. LA is probably a panic now and then with the amount of violence they have. DC's labs at the federal level are all very clinical and about perfection. If you sneeze in the FBI lab, you change your coat, your shirt, your gloves, and most people change their pants and shoes too." That got a nod. "So figure out your style. You're here to learn. Just like I am. We all learn new things every day. I taught Eric how to hotwire a hummer last year." He grinned and walked inside.

Parsons watched him go and thought about what he said. It was pretty wise for coming from a gay guy. He'd have to deal with him to learn from him but he could keep his opnion to himself for now. He headed to his car. His day was done. He frowned. Xander had gotten in only a half-hour after him. He should be done too. He'd have to check on that. Maybe higher level interns did more hours. His school only demanded one internship. He heard he went to Georgetown. They must be really hard! He was glad he went to UNLV. He headed back to his place, going to relax and think. He hadn't seen the things he had pointed out yet. It was good advice.

Xander walked back into the lab and Horatio caught his arm, turning him around. "But I've got to finish the tests I started in trace."

"Speed already did. Go home, Xander."

"But..."

"Home, Xander."

"But, Horatio!"

"Home, Xander," he said more firmly. "We don't pay you overtime."

"I've only just begun!"

"Yes, and if you stay you'll be working until ten. Like you did last summer. I got yelled at last year for you working too many hours and forgetting to call your father. Home. Now. Wherever that is tonight." Xander sighed and trudged off, making him smile for the act. "Go club or something when you've found a spot." Xander nodded and waved over his shoulder. "Good boy," he said quietly.

***

Xander watched the predators in front of him and his heart sank. He didn't want to do this. He really didn't. He gave the kid a look and shook his head subtly, getting a grin. "Hey, play catch with me?" he offered. The kid nodded and they went to do that on the sidewalk, with a few of the other neighborhood kids. Xander looked, there were at least ten in their age range and a few were giving him wary looks. He knew he had been willing, but some of these kids weren't. He left them with the game of catch and went back inside, kissing Jesse's mother on the cheek. "I've finally found a motel room. It's insane down here."

"You poor dear. Are you sure you don't need to wait until your first paycheck?"

He grinned. "No, I saved up some from my last internship," he promised. Plus all his other ones. "Thanks anyway."

"You're welcome to stay if you want," Jesse's father reminded him.

He grinned at him. "I know, but this way I can order the smutty movies tonight." They laughed and hugged him and he grabbed the bag he had brought in. He kissed them both on the cheek again and headed for his car. Miraculously, it started the first try. He drove off with a beep and a wave at the kids, and searched his soul. He called his dad. "I'm fine." He smiled. "Yeah, I did see Jesse's parents." He listened to him complain. "Dad. Well, who did you tell?" he asked. "Since I'm down here I can check and make sure they remember." Which would tell him who to talk to. He winced at the name. "Sure. No, I'm heading to my hotel." He winced and pulled over at the screaming going on. "Dad. Dad! Jethro!" he snapped. His father calmed down and Tony took the phone. "I spent the last two nights on Jesse's parents' couch," he admitted quietly. "They are." Tony gave him a direct order. "I like Eric...I'm just not sure.... But I don't want to look bad in front of Horatio." He nodded. "Sure. Thanks."

He hung up and swallowed, making a decision. He called Eric. Horatio would start to give him looks if he knew. "Meet me somewhere? Because we've got to talk, Eric. Because my father once gave you a case, they're still here, and they're in a neighborhood full of kids." He nodded and hung up, heading that way. It was a nice club. He parked and got out, looking down at himself when the bouncer did. "Let me change shirts. Speaking of, do you guys know a decent, cheap efficiency motel?" They all pointed up the street and he smiled. "Thanks." He changed his shirt and locked the car, then paid the cover and went inside. He found Eric at a table on the quieter side and slid in across from him. "Soda, no ice," he told the waitress. "I'm driving." She nodded and went to get that for him. He looked at Eric. "My father called you from Sunnydale?"

"He did. I worked with him once on a case." He sipped his beer. "I remember it very well. Why were you with them?"

"Because I'm originally from Sunnydale, Eric." Eric choked. "Jesse was my best friend. He was my sanity and my soul when he was alive," he said quietly. He took his soda and paid her, getting a smile and a wink before she walked off. He shifted to lean his back against the wall. "The last time I saw them, I was sixteen. I had just been kicked out. Jethro had barely gotten to town." He took a drink. "Hmm, truth serum." He put it aside and scanned the bar. "I hate spooks."

"Can you defeat it or should I watch for babbling?" Eric asked, looking a bit concerned.

"No, I'll be fine." He looked at him. "I learned that in interrogation class," he offered with a small grin. "They thought my dad was going to dose me some day." He shifted, crossing his feet. "They put me in touch with someone who paid me just over ten grand for a few hours of my time," he said quietly. "Now, I knew what I was doing. I was formulating survival strategies. It gave me enough to live off of until I graduated if I had to." Eric nodded at that and slid his beer over. "I don't need it. I knew what I was doing. I kinda knew what I was doing when I was thirteen and I paid off my father's poker debt. Well, he paid off my father's poker debt," he admitted. Eric shuddered. "Again, I wasn't that young. I know that's probably f-ed up in the extreme, but that's how I rationalized it. That and so I didn't have to hear him or help him after he got beaten up again for owing them something like sixty thousand dollars." Eric spluttered on his drink.

Xander nodded at the spook he knew and nodded at the other one, getting an eye roll. He grinned and looked at Eric again. Then the guy came over. "Clay, this is Eric Delko. He's one of the guys I work with in the lab. By the way, your trainee there dosed my soda with truth serum." He handed it over, letting him test it. To anyone else it'd seem like a friend sharing his drink. "I'd suggest spanking but I know the spook trainers like that option too much."

"They do. What's up?" He looked at him. "You don't look happy to be in Miami this year."

"Oh, I am. I just ran into a problem. Remember the report McGee had to file on the LA guy?" Clay nodded once. "I figured you had backgrounded me after we first met."

"You'd be right. You made your trainers have very good dreams for months on end. I wanted to know what was so special."

Xander beamed. "I'm gay." Clay laughed at that. "So anyway, the parents, the middlemen, are down here. In a neighborhood full of kids, and some of them didn't look real tolerant of them. They looked kinda scared in a few cases."

"Your father said you weren't pressing charges personally but that you had understood not everyone else had made that choice," Eric agreed. "You're sure?"

"Eric, a few of the kids looked scared because I walked out of their house, I was playing catch with their next target," Xander said quietly. "He also understood why I got him out of that house. Yeah, someone there knows." Eric nodded and got up. "Need their address?"

"I've got it. We've been watching over them." He looked at him. "You didn't go to Horatio?"

"I didn't want to have him look at me in that special, pitied way, Eric. I couldn't stand that," he admitted quietly.

"H doesn't do pity."

"Yeah, but he'd still start watching me harder. He knew it happened. He asked at my first week eval last year. I told him, bluntly, I had been a poker debt and then I formulated a survival strategy the second time."

"Sure. I'll cover for that," Eric decided. "How many kids?"

"There were ten or twelve out playing."

"I'll go tonight. I know the people who're over the case now and we'll talk to some of them." He patted Xander on the head. "Relax, let me handle it." Xander nodded so he nodded politely at Clay. "Nice meeting you. Don't let him get hurt. His father would scream at us." He walked off.

Clay took his seat. "That was brave."

"Had to be done." He gave him a long look. "Yeah, I knew what was going on. The second time I made the decision. Some of those kids clearly didn't."

"I understand, Xander. I've seen it before," he assured him. "How many of us are in here? I know at least two other trainees are."

Xander scanned then pointed at someone, who looked over, so he grinned and waved. "That's Tiffy and her trainee with Patrick mirroring our position. The waitress who gave me truth serum soda. A few at the bar. One or two on the floor are too stiff so I'd lump them in there just in case since they dance like they're Feebs." Clay laughed at that. "Ooh, your female JAG buddy is down here. She can't dance either." He grinned at him. "Too many. If I had known this was a meeting place for Feds, I'd have talked him into going somewhere else."

Clay shrugged. "Only temporarily. By the weekend it'll be back to normal. Go help her." Xander got up and went to dance with the female JAG officer he knew and had helped a few times, making her squeak when he moved behind her, but he gave her a look and she relaxed again and let it go. He smiled as he watched. They were adorable together. Xander clearly knew she was deadly, he only played like that with the deadly women. He saw a few giving the boy interested looks, so he moved them into his probable category as well. All but his target. He knew she was dangerous. She was an assassin. She walked out there to take Xander and he smiled and danced with her, winking at Clay. Yeah, the boy hadn't lost his touch. He went out to help his fellow officers. They'd let Xander do point since she liked him and had decided on him as a target.

***

Horatio woke up to a call from someone at a very loud place. "What do you want?" he complained. He listened to the drunken slurring. "Xander, are you that drunk that you can't call a cab?" The boy said something and he moaned. "Fine. Let me come get you." Someone took the phone from him. "And you would be?" he asked patiently, checking the clock. Four in the morning. "Mr. Webb. State Department? Why are you with my intern?" He listened to what he said. "Interesting. Would this have to do with his training? Yes, I do know. His father had a few on my team cleared so we knew if something came up and came after Xander." He listened to the humorous story of the assassin who tried to get the kid, and he had ended up taking her down with them, then one of the other trainees had drugged him. "They will be punished?" He smirked. "Wait on me. I'll be right there. I will expect you there with the boy when I get there." He hung up and got out of bed, going to put back on his clothes from yesterday and head out. Only Xander.

He pulled in and found them waiting in the parking lot, Xander curled up napping on his trunk. He slid out of the hummer and slammed the door but the boy didn't wake, only mumbled. "What happened?"

"He and Eric Delko were having a talk about an old case here earlier. One of our brilliant new trainees, not like he was but a regular one, decided he was a threat and gave him a soda laced with truth serum, which he identified during the first sip," he assured him, shrugging a bit. "The boy was always good at that and he can defeat most of them. After CSI Delko left, we talked and I had him spot who else was in the bar for me. He's very good at body language and finding hidden guns. He beat his trainers one year."

"He told me about Rome." Horatio moved closer, checking on Xander. "Then what happened?"

"One of the people he spotted was a JAG officer we both worked with in DC. She's a really great woman, very nice to him, one of the few women Xander trusts. She looked like Frankenstein on the floor so he went out to dance with her and help her fit in better." He grinned. "The assassin we were here after went out to dance with him."

"I've seen how only the truly dangerous women are drawn to him," he admitted, starting to have a headache. "She went after him in other ways?"

"Yeah, tried to get him into the bathroom to blow him. Xander gave me the sign, let her drag him off. We moved in to take her into custody in there since there were still non-agents in the bar. By the time we got in there, she was working on his neck. Little did we realize she's been using drugged lipstick. I wouldn't drug test him anytime soon. A preliminary swipe and test kit said it's an opiate of some sort. I'll get you an exact report in the morning if you want."

"Please." He shook his head. Only Xander. "He'll be fine?"

"He was lucid enough to turn and pin her against the wall and give us the chance to move in. Textbook for a seduction arrest or capture. He turned giggly about ten minutes later and now he's probably on his way down. I heard from the bouncer he was asking about motels so I didn't figure he had one. I don't want him back where he had been staying since that's why he was talking to CSI Delko." Horatio nodded once at that. "It's handled," he assured him. "Eric knew about it before and is talking with the people over the case again." He waved a hand. "So I did the nice thing and let him call you. He said he would've called Speed, pouted about it really, but he didn't want to hear the lecture in the morning about not going with another woman. It seems like he's always getting into woman-related trouble."

"They all want to mother him, sleep with him, and/or kill him," Horatio sighed. "I've got a guest room he can sleep in tonight." They got Xander into the hummer. He looked at the bouncers. "He'll come get his car by the afternoon."

"That's fine, sir. They've got the club for the next few days. We've got surveillance if anyone should break in." He looked at the heap. "Not that anyone would want to but you never know." Horatio nodded and got back into the hummer. He looked at Clay. "He's one of you guys?"

"Former trainee. He decided to go CSI," he said with a shrug. "He's a good one. He works very well up in DC when he's not in class." He went to get into his own car and head in to make more reports.

Horatio got the cuddly person inside and let him flop onto the bed, smiling when Xander snuffled the pillow before snuggling it and murmuring his name. "That's right, you're here. You sleep. You're safe." He watched him a few more minutes then went back to bed. He even got two whole more hours of sleep before his alarm woke him. He checked the bed behind him. Xander hadn't come to cuddle. He wasn't sure if he was disappointed or not. He went to shower and get ready for the day, checking on Xander. He was still fast asleep so he wrote him a note and left it beside him with a glass of juice. Then he went to work. He found Speed frowning at the parking lot. "He's in my guest room."

"Why?"

"Because he ran into a female assassin last night and she drugged him," he admitted. Speed groaned. "One of the agents in the bar to get her called. Drugged lipstick."

"Which would explain why Delko got emailed a report on an opiate. He wasn't sure."

"That would be what got him." Horatio walked inside. "I left him a note. I'll call at lunch to see if he's up yet."

"Sure," Speed agreed, nodding at that. Parsons walked up to them. "Get that DNA sample's results yet?"

"No, sir. Is Xander off today?"

"No, he ran into an assassin who drugged him last night," Speed offered dryly. "Dangerous women like Xander."

"They either want to mother him, have sex with him, or kill him," Horatio agreed.

"That should be and/or. You know most of the ones he's had sex with wanted to kill him, H," Speed noted blandly.

"So that's why he's gay," Parsons said. It suddenly made so much more sense to him.

"No, he was bi before then, he's given up on women," Speed said sarcastically. "Go get me the reports." He hurried off. "At least Xander's making him come off his high horse," he said once the kid was gone.

"Thankfully. Eric?" He came out of the lab he was in. "Report please?" It was handed over and he looked at it. "Good, this is fairly mind. We'll keep this in case someone wants to drug test the poor kid."

"Xander?" he asked.

"Female assassin," Speed agreed.

"With a bar full of operatives and agents there to get her," Horatio added, looking at him. "After you and he talked about a case?"

"It's an older one and I'm helping them question some kids. It's a pedophile," he said quietly, glancing around. "He was on their couch."

"He was on the couch of his former best friend's parents," Speed said, looking confused.

Eric drug him off a few steps. "They're the way he survived when he was kicked out," Eric offered. Speed stiffened at that. "He saw them hunting and a few haunted looking kids. He called." He glanced at Horatio then back at him. "He said he knew but he didn't want those looks."

"Agreed. He okay?"

"That's why he called. He saw the looks."

Speed nodded. "Good. That's reasonable." He walked back there. "You've got to make sure Xander knows he can come to you about his former life. He thought you'd give him looks for some of his past." He walked off, going to rant in private and calm himself down.

"The ones from the poker debt?" Horatio guessed.

"He didn't want you to start watching him or giving him looks, H," Eric pleaded.

"I understand. We'll leave it as you've never officially let me know, Eric. They were?"

"Both times. He said their son used to his soul and his sanity, H." He glanced around then moved closer again. "He said he saw the looks in some of the kids' eyes when he came out of the house. That's why he called."

"That's usually enough with their history. We have them under watch?"

"They were before. Xander said he knew who their next target was. He was playing ball with him to get him out of the way last night."

"Good enough. Find us proof, Eric. I want them off the streets and away from Xander."

"Agreed. SVU has it and they're not happy campers. Someone up there is talking to the kids in the neighborhood today with a few of the more reasonable parents included. A few of the parents they knew were going to throw fits again."

Horatio nodded. "Keep me informed subtly in case it comes back to haunt him."

"Of course. He said he justified his own."

"They often do," he said quietly, heading for his office. It did add depth to what he knew about Xander. He had known about the incidences, but nothing further than that had been offered. He would have to watch Xander the next time an abuse case came up, just in case he started to dive too deeply into it. He put the report into his desk and looked up when IAB came in. "What?"

"Why did I get a report from the State Department?"

"Xander ran into an old friend who was helping some agents apprehend a female assassin last night. He helped since she twigged to him and wanted him. She drugged him slightly. He's in my spare room."

Rick Stetler shook his head. "Does that boy never stay out of trouble?"

"It's only women that bring it, Rick. None of his playmates or his boyfriends seem to bring it."

"I'll try to set him up then. That way we have a quiet summer." He handed over the report and stomped off.

Horatio read it over, then filed it with the drug report. Just in case it became necessary.

***

Speed finally got his few days off and took off, leaving his lab well in hand with Xander. Xander whooped and hurried back to rearrange things for himself. Then he got back to work. Eric looked in a few hours later. "I'm fine."

"I noticed that. I was checking for beard growth."

"I suck at it, mine's patchy. Besides, I look dumb in stubble. I'm not Speed and I know I'm not Speed." He grinned at him and got back to work, moving around the table to start another test.

"Doing too many at once," Eric warned.

"I am not. I've only got one running, one in prep, and one pulled out to prep next. As long as we don't lose power, I'll be fine."

"Uh-huh." He walked off, going to talk to Calleigh and make sure she'd help him look over Xander's shoulder.

Xander rolled his eyes at the worrywarts. They were worse than his father sometimes. Even worse than Abby and Ducky combined at times since Horatio was coming in to hover. "I know what I'm doing."

"I know, I came in to help." He gloved and jacketed up, coming over to see what he was doing. "This one is your next sample?"

"Yeah, it's running out of time so I jumped it ahead of another one." He shrugged. "That way it won't be dead sperm."

"Shouldn't it be in DNA?"

"No, she's had her shot. She said there's something in the secretion portion of it and she couldn't identify it."

"All right. What were you hoping to do?"

"Small bits to test pH. One small bit to test in the mass spec?" He looked at him. "It came up negative when she ran a drug screen. She's hoping it's a lube or something."

"That would be reasonable," he agreed, going to help him with that while the printer spat out the last result. Xander ran the next sample. "You could become a full time lab tech, Xander."

"No I can't. I'd go insane." Horatio laughed at that. "I would. All day in the lab without getting out? Even Abby sent me to get her sodas to keep me from losing it." He got the report and put it with the last sample and the thing it went to. This new result came off and he looked at it. "Your case." He put them together. Then he came back to help. "Did dad hint that I should be a full-time tech?"

"No. I haven't heard from him today."

"Okay." He grinned and got back to work, bending down closer. "I hate the face shields. Can't I wear a surgical mask?"

"If you buy them."

"Good, then I'm buying an emergency pack for my kit too."

"For?"

"Field medicine. Bandaids, that stuff."

"Also reasonable," he decided. "How far up did you go?"

"I took the 'we need a medic and we're behind enemy lines' lessons. Non-surgical for the most part except for how to hold veins and things together so you can move someone safely and not let them bleed to death."

"Interesting. Did you know that before then?"

"Some. Giles taught us how to splint, bandage, and take care of things back in Sunnydale. Basic paramedic training really. I've never certified."

"Maybe you should. It could come in handy and look attractive if you're not going to be able to go to NCIS directly."

"Yeah, dad said there's probably not going to be an opening unless someone dies," he sighed. He put down things and looked at Horatio. "He said I should hint at you."

"He hinted the same to me last month." They shared a smile. "If we have an opening, I wouldn't care." Xander beamed and got back to work. "Be careful with that, that bottle splashes."

"I remember. It got me earlier today during soil sample tests."

Horatio smiled. The boy was good in here. More dramatic flair than Speed and happier usually too. Yes he'd make one hell of a hire for Miami.

***

Xander got out of his hummer at the jewelry store, finding Speed there. "Why are you here?"

"I got called back, dumbass. Why are you here?"

"Horatio said so."

"Huh? H?" Horatio looked over and he pointed at Xander. "You called Wonder Mouse here?" Xander rolled his eyes at that name and shook his head.

"I did. There's something very wrong about this case and I want his biased opinion."

"Sure," Xander agreed. They walked into the store together, him behind but between the two people.

"How can I help you gentlemen today?" a man behind a counter asked.

"We're with the crime lab," Speed offered.

Xander spaced out on the talking, looking around. Something was not right. His attention drew to a pad of jewels out in the open. Very not right. He saw movement and dropped his case, pulling his gun. "Gun!" Horatio drew, Speed drew. He heard Speed jam and he and Horatio shot. He saw Speed hit the floor too. He let Horatio cover them while he flipped open his case and pulled out his small medical kit. "Speed, talk to me?" he ordered, slipping into crisis mode. "Come on, talk to me or I'm kissing your stupid ass." That got a moan. "Horatio, I need an ambulance with a clamp! I don't have one." He pulled out a set of gloves and some scissors, cutting open the shirt. "Oh shit. Now! We need them now!" He squeezed the bleeding spot closed, getting another moan. His other hand was reaching for a small wrapped package. He put it on his chest and removed the clamping hand just enough to get it open. Then he bent closer.

"Speed, I love you but they had better get here soon. Or else I'm going to paddle your ass after I save your life." He put in a few retaining stitches. "Veins are not my strong suit," he complained as he worked. He got a few punctures but the two spots were connected for now. He felt a hand behind him and looked back at the paramedics. "I joined the two spots around the damage. It's temporary. Clamp?" One was handed over and he clamped the hole closed. "Move him carefully. If that rips, he'll finish bleeding out. Veins are not my speciality so be very delicate." They nodded and moved around him while Horatio helped him up. He looked at him and then at the store. "Can you?" That got a nod. "Then I'm heading with him. Hummers?"

"Ride along."

Xander nodded and reclosed his case, hopping into the ambulance. "His name is Tim Speedle. He's a CSI. Call ME Alexx Woods for his medical record. She's like his mom and his medical contact if Horatio isn't." They nodded, radioing ahead. He was drug into the room with him. "It's field medicine." The doctor looked at him. "I'm medic trained. My father's a Marine and a Fed. I did it around the damage." He unclamped him, letting him see. "That way he didn't finish bleeding out. It's temporary."

"Good job," he praised. "Now go wait and call." Xander nodded, hurrying out to make those calls. He looked at the paramedics. "How long did it take you to respond?"

"He was with them," one of them noted. "We got there when he was doing the last two. It was stopping the bleeding, we let him."

"Good enough. Note it with the nurse." They let her have their notes while they got a surgeon down there. He was almost stable. "Let's get him typed for blood. He's lost some." The nurse hurried off to see if they had his medical records and do that. The surgeon ran in. "We had a civie who had some medic training from his father, who's a Marine and a Fed. He stitched around the damage to shunt the blood."

He looked. "That'll hold until we can get his blood pressure up. Let's do that." They worked on that, watching the stitches. Once he was a bit more stable they ran him upstairs to remove the bullet and fix it right.

***

Xander looked up as Horatio walked in. "The kid?"

"Found him," he promised, patting him on the cheek. "Speed?"

"He'll be fine. They said I did the right thing."

"You did. Thank you." Xander nodded, swallowing. "Go get sick, I'll watch." Xander ran off. Horatio went to bother the nurse. "Tim Speedle?"

"ICU bed four, sir. Are you a relative?"

"His boss. One of his medical contacts. Horatio Caine." She checked and nodded, letting him in there with Alexx. "Alexx?" he asked quietly. "How is he?"

"He'll survive and heal." She looked at him. "What happened to his gun?"

"Calleigh's checking it now." He moved closer. "Did you hear?"

"I'm going to kiss that boy and make him the most chocolatey brownies I can," she assured him, taking his hand to hold. "He lost two pints at the scene but Xander kept him from dying." She sniffled. "I nearly lost him." He let her cry on him and watched their friend. She pulled back finally. "The poor kid?"

"Found," he assured her. She nodded at that, taking Speed's hand to hold again. "Let me tell the others. When do they think they'll downgrade him so he can have visitors?"

"Probably tomorrow if he stays stable," she offered.

He nodded, going to find Xander. He found him curled against Eric's side. "He'll be fine." Xander relaxed and nodded. "Even Alexx said so. They think he'll be able to have visitors tomorrow. Calleigh?" She looked over. "What happened?"

"Damp ammo and his pin isn't moving. It's not dirty, it's frozen. However he put it back in was wrong."

He nodded at that.

"I'm so teaching him how to clean his gun this time," Xander muttered, making Eric laugh. "I am!" He looked at him. "When do they think he'll wake up?"

"Alexx said he'd probably be downgraded by tomorrow and able to have visitors so probably sometime tonight."

"We can wait," Eric assured him, letting Calleigh have Xander for now. "It jammed?"

"There were people in the back. Speed and Horatio were talking, I was paying attention to the store. I saw someone come out with a gun. I shouted, I pulled, I fired. I heard Speed's click." Horatio nodded at that. "Then I saw him fall." Calleigh gave him a squeeze. "It's instinct."

"It's a good instinct," she assured him, patting his hair. "You should call your dad."

"No, he's got a bad case right now. Spies and dead wives. I'll call him tomorrow." She smiled at that and gave him another squeeze. "I'll be okay."

"I'd hope so. They'll give you an award for this," she teased.

"Then I guess you guys can meet Tony. It's tradition he picks up any awards for me or dad." Horatio cracked a smile. "He does, even in school. We run from them." He looked at her. "Don't make me leave Miami early this year. I'm not going to Paris until later this summer. I'd be bored." She smiled and patted him, kissing him on the forehead. Alexx came out. "Is he still okay?"

"He's fine, baby." She pulled him up to hold. "Thank you," she whispered. He nodded. She gave him an extra squeeze. "When he wakes up I'll call you directly. Horatio, I won't be in until he wakes up."

"I'll let your Chief know." She nodded at that and drug Xander back with her, making the others smile. "He deserves it."

"He does," Eric agreed. "We almost lost him." The other two nodded. "What would we do without him?"

"We'll know soon enough. It's going to be at least four months before he can come back," Calleigh pointed out. "He'll need rehab for his arm." She looked at Horatio. "Can we keep Xander?"

"We're keeping Xander through his internship. We'll see about a temporary replacement or possibly hiring a new tech." They smiled at that. "It'll probably be closer to six months and we can let Xander train him for Speed as well." Eric giggled at that. "Let me let the proper people know he'll be okay." He went outside to do that and to pray his thanks. His last call was to Gibbs, getting snapped at. "I was going to tell you your son saved a life today," he said quietly. "Speed's. His gun malfunctioned in a shooting. Shoulder wound. He did something temporary that lasted long enough to get him to the hospital and into surgery. He said he'd call in a few days and he wanted to know if he could borrow Tony if they gave him an award." He smiled at the smart answer. "Thank you, Jethro. No, we're keeping him. Maybe permanently after he graduates. Xander is a very special man and we appreciate the hell out of him. Thank you. Have a better case." He hung up.

***

Gibbs hung up. "DiNozzo, you may be heading to Miami to pick up Xander's award."

"What did he win?" McGee asked, looking confused.

"He saved Speed's life," he said quietly. "He was shot in the shoulder during a problem." Tony shuddered. "He did something at the scene since he was there and it gave them enough time to get him into surgery to fix it properly. So if he gets one, he said you can pick that one up too."

"It does seem to be family tradition. Does this mean if we both have grandkids, my grandkid can get your's awards too, boss?"

Gibbs shuddered at that image. "Xander's forbidden to breed, DiNozzo."

Tony grinned. "Sure, boss. Can I sit there when you tell him that?"

"Back to work," he complained, shaking his head. "Better yet, someone get him something to eat so he returns to sanity and sense." McGee hurried off to do that. That was just too scary. His grandkids and Tony's grandkids being friends?

***

Speed woke up to someone petting him. He made a grumbling noise.

"I'm going to teach you how to put your gun back together properly," Xander whispered in his ear. "Then I'm going to make you do it over and over again like you did me with the semen and vomit separating." Speed cracked a small grin at that. "Water?" That got a shallow nod. He let him sip while he pushed the call button, bringing a nurse. "He's responding to verbal cues."

"Good." She came in to check him over. "Mr. Speedle, you are one very lucky person. Whoever did the work on your shoulder at the scene saved your life." She checked the bandage. "That should be fine. The doctor will be in on rounds in a few hours. I'll let him know you've woken up." Speed grumbled something at her. "Huh?"

"We moved your bike to Horatio's garage. It's not sitting in the PD parking lot." Speed grumbled something else. "What? Try enunciation this time?" Speed grumbled it again. "If you had died, yeah I would've kissed you and done CPR. Next time don't try to get dead." Speed nodded slightly at that. "Could be worse. I could've offered to date you." Speed shuddered and shook his head more firmly. "Good. Then you'll get better and we'll figure out what to do. Okay?" Speed nodded. "Good boy. Now you rest."

"Water?" he mumbled more intelligently. Xander let him have more. "Alexx?"

"Home. It's nearly three in the morning." Speed gave Xander a look and the nurse laughed. "I'm sure he's got tomorrow off."

"That's right. Horatio said I can come in at noon." Speed grunted and nodded, closing his eyes again. Xander texted everyone to let them know he had woken up. Then he looked at the nurse. "Is he being moved?"

"It depends on the doctor, sir." She smiled and went to make her own notes and leave her own messages.

***

Calleigh walked in the next morning, smiling at the boy curled up in the chair beside the other sleeping person. "Aww," she whispered, sneaking over. Speed flinched and woke up. "Shh." She pointed and he snorted. "It's adorable."

"He'd complain," he said weakly. "Please feed me real food?"

"If they let me. If not, I can't help you with the pig slop." He let out a complaining noise and Xander popped awake at that. "Good morning. You're adorably rumpled. You should go home and rest. I can spend a few hours with him."

Xander yawned and stretched then stood up to look at him. "You more awake?"

"Hmm. If you had threatened to date me to get me to live, I'd have died of horror," he said sarcastically.

Xander gave him a careful hug and a kiss on the forehead. "I'll be back after shift." Speed nodded at that, watching him go.

"Aww," Calleigh said again, grinning at him. "He saved your life you know."

"The nurse said that," he agreed weakly. "Please feed me?"

"We'll see what the nurses say." She hit the button for the nurse. "He's begging for real food."

The nurse laughed. "Liquids today, dear. Only liquids today. Sorry. The doctor will be here in a few minutes, you can beg him." She checked his bandage and his output bag, taking notes on how much had been in there then changing it out. She sent a sample for testing and discarded the rest.

Calleigh looked at him. "He threatened to kiss you?"

"Yup, to keep me from dying. That was horrifying enough that I stayed." She pinched him on his good arm. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. It's a bad thought," she agreed, making him nod. The doctor came in with a brief knock. "He wants food."

"Tomorrow he can have oatmeal," he offered.

Speed looked at her. "Please save me."

"Next time, put your firing pin in correctly." He went limp and nodded. "Xander's vowed to go over that with you."

"He promised earlier he'd go over it like I did the semen and vomit sample we had to separate."

The doctor looked disgusted. "What do you do?"

"We're CSI," Calleigh said happily, smiling at him. "We do a lot of strange things for a job."

"Uh-huh. And the young man in here earlier?"

"He's our trainee," she assured him. "His father's a Marine."

"So I heard. His father trained him very well in field medicine." He looked at Speed. "He did save your life."

"He threatened to kiss me if I died."

"Ah. That'll do it," he agreed dryly. "Let's check the wound. If your perky friend could go get a cup of coffee?"

"No, caffeine is bad, but I will take a powder break." She looked at Speed. "Behave." She walked out, heading out to the waiting area.

"It's good to have caring friends."

"Can't I please have real food? She'll cook too."

"No. Sorry. Not yet. Liquids today to make sure your body is going correctly. Nothing that would strain your system. Then you can work back up." Speed grumbled but nodded. "Let's look at your wound. It's not pretty."

"How long?"

"Four, six months. If you're lucky and you don't infect." He looked, testing the edges of the incision. "It looks okay so far and the small drain I put in hasn't leaked anything unusual. It looks good." He taped it back down and made notes. "Tell us when that starts to itch."

"How long will I have to stay in here?"

"That depends, are you living with anyone?"

"No," he said slowly.

"You won't be able to move that arm. We're going to use a sling like we would if you had broken your shoulder. It'll be strapped to your chest and immobilize your arm."

"If I can get a minder?"

"Then we'll see in about a week." Speed nodded at that. "Once you heal, you're looking at some rehab for that injury. You could probably start work in another six months if you're lucky and nothing goes wrong."

"I have temporary disability insurance through work. I'll deal with it that way."

"Good. We also have a social worker here who can help you file any paperwork you need. Including getting help through the state to pay the medical bills and things."

"I've got regular insurance too."

"It's going to get expensive," he warned. "We'll send her up tomorrow so you have time to get the forms from work." Speed nodded and he made another note. "Anything else we can do for you?"

"Let me have bacon and coffee?"

"Caffeine in a week or so. Bacon in a few days." He smiled and walked out, letting Calleigh back in there. He handed that chart over and took his next one.

"Six months if I'm lucky. I'll need the disability forms."

"Horatio's already got them if I know him. Will that cover it?" He nodded. "Then it should be okay. I'm sure it'll be okay. Even if you are paying it off forever." Speed smiled at that. "So, what else did he say?"

"I can go home in a week if I have a minder. I'll be immobilized in that arm."

"Xander still needs a place to live."

"No. He'll bounce me to death worrying. No. I'll ask Horatio." She smiled at that. "He's good and calm, plus it'd give him a reason to come home. I love Xander, but I'd be cuddled to death." She nodded and giggled. "Good, you laugh. What'll you guys do?"

"Horatio was thinking about a new opening. We'd let Xander run them ragged for the first few weeks. Then he'll take over for Xander when he goes to Paris then home."

"Good. We could use some new blood. How is Parsons doing?"

"He's holding in his distaste for Xander's lifestyle and learning off him. The only problem we've got is the new rookie patrol under Jessup. He's been spouting crap and Xander's been ignoring it so far under penalty of Horatio locking him in a closet again. So we'll see."

"Yup, we'll see. Let me know who's my new trainee?" he asked through a yawn.

"Of course. We'll drag them here to introduce you so they know they can't replace you. You rest. Being shot is hard work."

"Hospitals suck."

"They do, but free cable." He cracked smirk at that. "I should get to work."

"Tell Horatio to bring me those forms?"

"Of course. He'll be by later I'm sure." s he kissed him on the forehead before leaving. She found Xander and Horatio staring at each other. "What?" she demanded.

"He should be in bed," Horatio said.

"I can't sleep anyway. I slept some last night. Let me go fuss and wear out the energy so I'll sleep tonight." He walked around him and headed to the lab. Frank turned him around and walked him back out. "Hey!"

"Go home and sleep, kid," Frank ordered. "Before I let Yelina spank you."

"I can't sleep, therefore I want to work."

"Tough. Do it anyway." Xander huffed and walked off, going in another door. He went to find Yelina. "Xander said he can't sleep. He wanted to come to work already."

She gave him a look. "Just because I'm a mother doesn't mean I know what to do with that boy. Call his father." She got back to work.

"Not a bad idea," Frank offered, going to find Horatio. "Yelina suggested we call his dad."

"I hadn't thought of that," he admitted, pulling out his phone to do that. "Tony. No, I was trying to get Gibbs. No, he can't sleep so he's working?" He listened to the common reasons and nodded slowly. "So this new bout of insomnia is probably temporary and then he'll go back to not sleeping like normal? How do we break this one?" He smiled. "If I must. Thank you. No, he napped for a few minutes in the chair beside him. Nothing further. He's fine, now. Six months. I know I can't borrow Xander that long but they're letting me add someone new to the lab." He smirked. "Thank you, Tony. Nothing's been said. If so, I'll call. He said it's a family tradition that you come get any awards for any Gibbs." He snickered lightly. "I'll let him know that as well." He hung up and walked into the Trace lab, pulling Xander away from where hew was gloving up and walking him up to his office. He sat the boy down and sat down next to him. "Nap." Xander shook his head. "Now. Before I have to call your father for real this time." Xander pouted. "Now. I'm more than comfortable enough to let you nap on me."

"I've got to work."

"You don't." He put a hand over his eyes and cuddled the boy, just like Tony suggested. He felt him go limp but didn't fall for that. He heard the quieter breathing, still not going there. He felt him fully drop off in a way that meant he wouldn't wake up and laid him on the couch, letting him sleep there for now. He went to look through the file he had been sent by Personnel about who could be qualified to join his staff. He came back to one name and called him in to talk to him. The young man was handsome, strong, uptight but they could fix that. His file looked good. "Mr. Wolfe."

"Lieutenant," he said, snapping to his feet when he saw him. "You wanted to see me, sir?"

"I do. I know scuttlebutt is all over the station by now."

"It is, sir. Will Speed be okay?"

"In a few months. For now, we're being allowed to add to the lab to cover the manpower shortage and later on to stay." Ryan smiled. "Your weapon?" Ryan handed it over and he looked. "How often do you clean it?"

"Every night. I'm a bit OCD."

Horatio handed it back with a knowing look. "That's more than a bit OCD, Mr. Wolfe." He shrugged at that. This one had the qualifications. He had the people skills by the file he had been sent. He had some ambition, which wasn't a bad thing. "If I do accept you, you will be training under our senior intern," he said quietly. "He was trained by Speed. You'll be training with the others but he'll be over you. Then Speed will get you while he's finishing rehab and only allowed to do lab work. He does my best training."

"That's fine. I've heard about your interns, especially Harris. He sounds competent and I'm sure I can learn a lot from him."

"What are they saying?"

"That he's pushy and slightly warped. That Speed's like his brother. A few claim he's got some training that's a bit further than 'his father's a Marine and a Fed'." He gave him a look. "I heard he's a hardass and a stickler on scenes. I can live up to that."

"Good. Very good. Go change." Ryan smiled and nodded, going to do that. "Come to my office," he called after him. He went back to check on Xander, finding Eric in there being held down. "Did he grab you? Tony said he used to do that when people try to wake him."

"He was snoring so loudly I heard him up the hall."

"That does happen, Eric. We have a new CSI coming in. Xander is going to be trainer." Eric smirked at that. "You and Calleigh will be working with him."

"Sure. Who?"

"Wolfe. Ryan Wolfe. He'll be here in a few minutes." Eric nodded at that and tried to get free but he was only squeezed harder. "That won't work, Eric."

"Let him relax fully again and he should let you go," Ryan offered. "Either that or if he's got a dog or something, make dog sounds." Eric growled in his ear, getting one arm being moved. He got free. Ryan smiled. "Hi. Ryan Wolfe."

"Eric Delko. Welcome to the lab. Listen to Xander but don't turn into Xander. We love the kid but he's horribly at fussing over people."

"I like it," Xander complained from the couch. He sat up with a yawn, looking at the new guy. "You are?"

"Ryan Wolfe."

"The new CSI?" he asked Horatio, who nodded. "Mine?"

"When you come in tomorrow. Today he can orient himself." Xander gave him a mild scowl. "Home, Xander. Now."

"They're not home yet and I don't have keys." He was renting a room from a couple Alexx knew.

"Then go to my house and use my spare bed," Horatio ordered, handing over his keys. "If you're up before I get home, make dinner to repay me." Xander sighed but nodded, sulking off to do that. Horatio shook his head. "He spent last night with Speed at the hospital."

"I heard they're as close as family. That doesn't bother me but I'll know not to get in grabbing range if he's sleeping."

"Cute," Eric taunted.

Ryan grinned. "Thanks but I'm not Xander's type either." Eric laughed at that and walked off shaking his head. He shrugged a bit. "A bit of levity goes a long way."

"It does," Horatio agreed. "Come on, we'll give you the tour and let you orient yourself and meet everyone." He led him off, letting him handle his first case, which was Calleigh's father's car. Xander came in the next day and looked over his shoulder. He was very much a perfectionist. It matched well with Xander's persnickety nature in the lab. The receptionist walked in a few hours later with a piece of folded paper, letting him have it. "Thank you. Where is this from?"

"DC, sir." She walked off blushing.

He looked then smiled at the picture of Xander in his kilt. He'd have to bring it to Speed later to lighten up his gloom.

***

Xander came off the plane from Paris, smiling at the guy meeting him. "Hi." He hugged Tony. "I'm back."

"I can see that. No one else gives me full body cuddles as a hug," he teased, letting him go. Xander beamed at him. "How was Paris?"

"Crowded but great. Ooh, I got Kate a present." He beamed at that. "You have one too but it's in the mail."

"Sure. It's easier to ship than to get things through customs." He walked him off. "How was Miami?"

"Ryan's a really uptight guy now and then. We get along but he'll drive Speed nuts. Or at least more than I did. Speed's healing well. They finally let him out of his brace thingy." He walked into the baggage claim and got his bags, frowning when one wasn't showing up. He went to talk to someone, having to fill out some forms. He came back shaking his head. "Ate one of them." He followed him. "Miami's just very Miami the last time I heard." He turned on his phone, looking at the note. "Dad wants us back at the office?"

"Yup, probably. We're in the middle of a case. Petty theft by petty officers."

"Charming. My stuff can sit in the trunk." They headed out to Tony's mustang and Xander did put his bags in the trunk and got in so they could head back to work.

***

Four More Years Later:


Xander settled into his new house in Miami, satisfied with how it had turned out. It was very nice. It was homey. He smelled the brownies so he went to rescue them from the oven, pulling out the pan to sniff. "Very nice." He put them on top of the stove to cool and turned, finding Horatio standing there. "Don't sneak up on me!"

"Sorry," he said with a small smile. "Brownies?"

"For the housewarming today."

"I remember." He took a gentle kiss. "Is everything else ready?"

"If not, we can order pizza."

Horatio laughed and nodded. "Let's make sure." He checked all the meats and drinks. Only a few beers and a few wine coolers. They all had to work tomorrow. He looked the front windows when he heard a car. "Calleigh's here. We forgot curtains."

"I have to hang them. I've been too sore to reach up that far."

"I'll help you later," he promised. Calleigh walked in and presented him with a bowl of fruit. "Thank you."

"Cool. Breakfast," Xander said happily, looking it over. He beamed and kissed her on the cheek. "No boy toys?"

"They're still working and having an argument."

He rolled his eyes. "Eric will flip him onto his back again and it'll be solved."

"That's the point of the argument. Speed's spending too much time there."

"Then let him find the handcuffs."

"Good idea," she agreed, texting to Speed that Xander suggested he try handcuffs to stop that argument. She got back a groan and a 'no, hell no. Thank you anyway'. "Hmm. Ryan must be near there. He finished off with a 'thank you anyway'."

"Ryan is nearly as polite as a mountie now and then," Xander agreed dryly, snuggling into Horatio's arms. "Did you want the grill?"

"I probably should. Calleigh, help me roll out the awning." She went out with him while Xander dug out an apple to nibble on while he made another pitcher of ice water. Xander had put the table in the open but the grill under cover with some benches against the wall and railing. There was even one beside the grill so he could sit down and be warm. She smiled at the small creature on the back lawn. "Xander?" He came to the door. "What is that?"

He looked then at Horatio. "It's a puppy. The wicked stepmother killed my last dog, therefore I needed a new one and the pound had him." He grinned. "His name's Red." He went back to work in the kitchen.

Calleigh went out, letting the puppy sniff her. It barked and wiggled, crouching down. "Aww, you want to play." She let it loose so she could play with him. "Aren't you so cute!"

"You don't spend enough time home to take care of one," Horatio said patiently. Neither did Xander but he wouldn't say that. His phone rang and he looked at the number, then sighed. "Caine." He listened to his boss. "Since when, sir? I hadn't asked." He nodded slowly. "What grade am I allowed to hire up to?" He smiled. "Really? Thank you, sir." He hung up. "I can either have two new level ones or a level three and another intern this year."

Calleigh came over to hug him. "We love you! I'm tired of working seventy hour weeks." She felt a lick and looked down, picking up the dog so he could pet him too.

"Hello, Red. I'm Horatio. That's Calleigh." The puppy barked and lunged to lick his face. He laughed and got free, petting it. "Good boy. Good boy, Red." The dog got put down and back onto his run line, and they watched him run back and forth a few times before settling in to watch them do whatever they were going to do. Calleigh tossed over the toy she had found. He sniffed but went back to watching them.

Xander came out with the meat for Horatio. "Go play." The dog went to play. He smiled at Horatio. "You're welcome."

"You knew?"

"I did know. It's a grant too. You're welcome." They shared a look. "This is to help you when I'm gone on a case for Tony. Speaking of, he's here."

"That's fine," he agreed mildly. "I like Tony."

Xander smiled and went to let him out back. "Look, a dog!" he said, pointing.

"I can see that. Who's going to take care of him when you're gone?" he asked, looking at his former helper and now second-in-command on his own NCIS team.

"Eric and Ryan said they'd babysit if it was going to be longer than a day. He's got a puppy door and I've already done the invisible fence thing. He's got an automatic feeder too."

"Good." He smiled and patted him. "Making sure you knew, Xander."

"I know." He grinned. "You're very good at that. Is Dad coming?"

"If he can." He smiled at Horatio. "If you don't mind."

"Why would I?"

"Good point." He went to snoop and be nosy, finding the toy building things in the basement then the master suite, which was comfortable feeling. He went down the stairs when heard the knock, letting in Speed. "Come on in. Everyone and the dog is in the backyard." He smiled when Ryan jogged over. "Come on. You too." He walked in with a smile. They all walked back there. "I like the toy stuff, Xander."

"Thanks, Tony. Guys, this is Tony. He's the team lead on the NCIS team some of us do double duty on." Tony waved and grinned. "My father may be here later unless he quits dealing with the paperwork bullshit in DC. At which time he may be here sooner." That got some laughs. "Look, puppy!" he said, pointing at his dog. "Bark, Red. Bark." The dog barked.

"Aww, you're adorable," Ryan offered, going over to let him sniff him and then pet him. "You're cute."

"He is." Calleigh smiled at him, then at her boys. "Are you two finished?"

Speed nodded. "He's done." He looked at Eric. "Isn't he?" Eric blushed and nodded.

"Do I have to worry about complaints from the other lab staff?" Horatio asked blandly.

"I used Alexx's office to spank him. She was highly amused. Oh, the lab techs, Xander?"

"Next weekend. They get their own." That got some nods and Ryan smiled. "I told them."

"I know you did but Natalia and Cooper wanted to make sure."

"They get their own day. That way they don't have to put up with you guys." They all laughed at that. "Okay, Horatio is barbequing. Drinks are in the fridge. If it rains I'm going to start swearing at the goddess. Horatio, for some reason Willow wanted a call?"

"Not a clue," he admitted. He went to call her. He liked Willow. She was infectious in her defense of Xander. "Willow, Horatio. What did you need?" He smiled. "I don't think we're ready for that yet. Who? Xander, the Initiative wanted you to spawn?"

"If they've reformed, Gibbs is going to be pissed. He hated Sunnydale," Tony called, coming in to take it. "Willow, it's Tony. Huh?" He listened to her babble. "Gibbs said he can't have kids. Ever." Horatio laughed at that. "He wasn't kidding, Horatio. The furry beasts are grandchildren enough for him." He went back to listening to Willow. "Who did that? Okay, I'll tell Gibbs. Thanks." He hung up. "Xander, they want your son to start off their new soldiers."

"Fat chance I won't go destroy them all," Xander said in a sing-song voice. "Parts of Sunnydale are going to go boom soon."

"They're in Texas."

"That's fine. They're big enough, they can spare the divot where their building is." He came in and went to his computer, smiling at the notes. "It's only a wild hair up someone's ass at the moment," he announced. "No baby Xander's!" He beamed at Horatio. "I'm not having hellions. Tony's vowed to turn them against me." Horatio gave him a gentle kiss and got a smile back. "Really, he has. He says it's payback for all the raves I made him go to when I was a teenager."

"We'll see," Horatio promised. "I already have a nephew and a niece." Xander beamed at that and they went back outside. "They're in the planning stages."

"Good, because if they come into the lab, I'm retiring from life at that point," Speed offered. "I trained Xander. One was enough."

"You did good with me," Ryan reminded him.

"I know, but you weren't was warped as Xander was when he came in. See, Xander, he's kinda got some special thoughts. First day I met him he admitted he had special skills and said I couldn't know until he cleared the background check. I had the instant thought of a really cranky Horatio bursting his bubble." Xander giggled at that. "Little did I know it was worse than we thought." He glared at Xander. "Didn't I teach you subtlety?"

"Yeah but they were going to blow up the hummer with Horatio in it. Bomb squad was being really slow and twats. Of course I undid it."

"Yes, but then you sent back a fake device to the person who sent it and we're lucky you're not in major trouble," Calleigh complained.

"No I didn't," Xander said. They all looked at him. He smirked and shook his head. "Not me, guys. It may've been Patrick. I trained with him and he's got a small crush now and then. It wasn't me. Really." They all rolled their eyes. He smiled at Horatio. He knew Horatio had sent it back. It made him happy. "Besides, if I wanted to send them something, it'd have been this neat semtex stuff that conditions your hands really well." Horatio burst out laughing at that, swatting him on the ass. "It would've been."

"I remember that day, Xander. Behave."

"Didn't it condition your hands?"

"Extemely well." He smirked at him. "You're so bad."

"I know, but I'm too cute to go fully evil. Then all I'd be is some temptation for others." He skipped off, going back into the house. He went outside at the knock, finding his father. "Did you quit?"

"Yup. I hate paperwork." He looked at him. "You look okay."

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"You haven't written in a week."

"No 'net connection and work's been hell." He gave him a hug. "I'm okay. I'm sorry you worried, dad." That got him a pat on the back. "We're all out back, including the new dog." Jethro smiled. "Tony thought it was very cute that I've got a toy workshop in the basement."

"It is. It's more practical than a boat too. It was hell getting that out of there." He walked out there, nodding at everyone and looking at the dog. "You weren't joking."

"No I wasn't. So if you quit, do we still get the grant?"

"Yes. You work too many hours and you're great at training, Xander. Look at Wolfe." He shrugged. He liked the kid, he had potential. He looked at Horatio. "Son-in-law."

"We're not that official yet. We've barely started dating, Jethro."

Gibbs snorted. "We're all stubborn. You'll get rid of him when you kill him and dump him in the harbor."

"That's okay, boss, the Initiative wants to give you a grandchild to take his place. I'll get to get his awards too," Tony called, waving a hand. "Did you quit for real or just walk out?"

"Walked out of the stupid budget meetings. Kate does those, not me. Who does?"

"The Initiative, dad," Xander sighed. "It's in the planning stages."

He looked at him. "I forbid you to give me grandchildren, son. Where are they?" Xander went to print off the information he had, giving it to him. "Hmm, looks like a good place for a weapons exercise." He went to call that in. There were still people around who owed him for turning his son so odd. He was a good boy, but very odd. He was proud of him but sometimes Xander was too much for anyone to bear sanely. He looked down when the dog trotted in, letting it sniff his hand. "Hey, dog. Guess you'll do the boy as good as the last one did." The dog hopped into his lap and lapped his face. "Eww. Get off." He put him down, making him sit. "Quit that." The dog barked and wagged his tail so he petted him. "Don't worry, you'll be insane soon too. He does it to others." The dog rolled over for belly scratches. "It's good you're loving. Your human could use more love." He petted him while he waited on confirmation of that group going down. He got it ten minutes later and walked out with the dog. "Done. No grandchildren. Ever. Understood?"

"Yes, daddy," he said with a sheepish grin. "Damn good thing I used to buy my own condoms, huh?" His father nodded so he went to tease Horatio into not scowling. "He never said you couldn't have one if you wanted one."

"I'm not ready for anything that serious yet."

"We've got time," he agreed, giving him a cuddle. It got him one of those special smiles that made his stomach tighten in the most perfect way. "Later, are you staying?" he asked quietly.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," he assured him. Xander beamed and bounced off to get his dog and play with him some more.

Then End.
This story archived at http://imagine.e-fic.com/viewstory.php?sid=754