Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Author's Chapter Notes:

Posted as chapters 13-15 on the list.


"Umm Buck, is it snowing out there?" Spencer asks, getting up from his chair and passing a window on the way to the kitchen.

 

"Spence, it's August, that's too early for snow, even in Oregon." Buck snorts, not looking up from the magazine he's reading.

 

Spencer walks back over to the couch, grabs the magazine out of his older brother's hands and, grabbing him and Greta by an arm, drag them to the window.

 

"Huh, it is snowing." Buck blinks as he looks out the window.

 

Greta grabs the phone, dialing her sister's phone.

 

"Lupo." Jo says at Global Dynamics.

 

"Jo, is there a reason why it's snowing outside?" Greta asks calmly, taking a picture of the scene outside the window.

 

"Greta, it's not snowing outside." Jo says, rolling her eyes. "That's strange even for Eureka."

 

"I just sent you a picture." Greta says and Jo can swear she can hear her sister smirking over the phone. "If that's not snow, we've got a forest fire outside the door. And it would be turning warmer, not colder."

 

Jo looks at the picture and sighs, holding her phone out to show the others. "Would whatever happened here earlier be causing this?" Fargo chokes as he sees the picture.

 

"It shouldn't." Nathan blinks as he takes the phone. "Hello?" he starts talking to Greta on the other end as Allison comes in from checking on Carter. She looks at Nathan quietly talking in the corner of the room, Jo sitting in a chair smirking and Fargo making fish out of water motions. She sighs. "What happened this time?"

 

"Greta says it's snowing at the farmhouse." Jo smirks. Idly, she wonders if Uncle Hermes has started a betting pool on how much 'weird even for Eureka standards' shit happens in Eureka while Greta and the others are there.

 

Up on Mount Olympus, Ares sighs and nudges Strife away from his feet with a toe to his ribs as the younger god rolls on the floor cackling. Meanwhile in the farmhouse Greta rolls her eyes and starts shutting doors to keep the heat in the room. Buck turns off the gas fireplace, running down to the basement, banging is soon replaced by the whoosh of heat coming up from the registers.

 

Ryan immediately walks over to the nearest register and sighs, standing over it as he finally begins to warm up. Buck rolls his eyes when he comes up but sets the thermostat for seventy and settles back down on the couch with his magazine. Greta settles in midair, one leg tucked under her, the other hanging free as she leans against one of the bookshelves talking to Nathan.

 

Nathan hangs up a few minutes later, handing Jo back her phone. "Deputy Lupo, your sister seems to think they will be okay until you can check on them tomorrow?"

 

"Yeah, Greta shouldn't piss off the others too badly before morning." Jo snorts. "Buck, Greta, and Spencer are used to snow. They can dig out if they have to. And with the motorcycles, they can get into town for supplies if they have to. Or if they drive each other nuts.. . or more nuts in Buck's case." she says.

 

"You can't really be this . . . calm," Fargo shrieks, "It's snowing at your family farm, they might be in danger." He starts waving his hands around in midair. "Snowing!" he shrieks again if she might not have heard him the first time.

 

"The only danger they're in is from boredom." Jo snorts. "They have food, heat, electricity, enough books and movies to keep even Greta occupied, and they can go outside and throw snowballs at each other if it doesn't melt before morning. It's a little snowstorm, not the end of the world as we know it. If they were in any danger, Buck would have grabbed everybody, stuffed them in my car, and brought them into town."

 

"Your brother knows where you keep your car keys?" Nathan asks.

 

"Of course, the family always keeps a spare set in the same place on every car they have access to, that way if it's an emergency and need to use it, they don't have to hunt up the keys." Jo snorts. "Even if they didn't, Greta or Buck could hotwire the car, they have in the past."

 

"Your sister can hotwire a car?" Allison asks.

 

"Yeah, one of my uncles taught all of the kids. We can all pick locks, hotwire cars, get out of handcuffs. . . anything with a lock. Dad just sighs, gives us that look, and pinches the bridge of his nose like he has a headache." Jo snorts. "The kids, and yes I mean Buck, have a bet going on who can make dad sigh the most." She smirks. "Greta's winning, but our newly adopted sister Josette is off to a good start."

 

"I didn't know you had any family."

 

"Ohh yes," Jo sighs as she leans back in the chair, one leg tucked up under her in a posture identical to Greta's. "I've got. . ." she starts counting on her fingers, "nine brothers and three sisters, a shitload of cousins, nephews, nieces, etc. out the wazoo. That weekend I was off?" Everybody nods. "We had a mini-family reunion when Greta, Buck, Spence, Ryan, and Daniel were in Miami at the same time. We opened the beach house, with Buck's ATF team, Spencer's FBI team, Ryan's CSI crew, Peter's team, and the others, we had nearly a hundred there."

 

"nine brothers?" Fargo blinks.

 

"Buck, Ryan, Spencer, Daniel, Garfield who's Greta's twin brother, Blair, Cupe, and Steve, Greta's adoptive Dad. Oh yeah, and Peter." She snorts. "Another brother I'd rather not admit I'm related to."

 

"Peter. . .?" Nathan asks.

 

"Venkman, yes that Peter Venkman."

 

"You're related to one of the Ghostbusters?" Fargo shrieks in a high-pitched voice.

 

Jo glares at him. "Yes, I'm related to one of the ghostbusters."

 

"Actually most of the Ghostbusters are highly intelligent scientists," Nathan says. "I had hoped to lure Dr. Spengler to Eureka while he was in college, but he started his business instead. He and Dr. Stantz designed and built their proton accelerators."

 

Jo snorts. "Peter's just as smart, he just enjoys being a goofball in public." She smirks. "Everybody in my family has genius level IQ's, we just choose to use them in different ways."

 

Fargo blinks. "You're a genius."

 

"Deputy Lupo tested at 162 on her IQ test." Nathan says absently.

 

"But why???" Fargo waves a hand around.

 

"I'm too much like my dad," Jo smirks. "I don't like the hard sciences. . . or the soft sciences either, but I enjoy being a cop. Greta's a lot like me, she . . ." she sniggers, "tinkers with things, but it's not the main thing she does. She's an author, she has a job with Dayton as one of their top computer technicians, and she does other things. Nobody in the family can really just settle on one thing."

 

"How smart is your younger sister?" Nathan asks, afraid to hear the answer. The smirk Deputy Lupo gives him makes him silently moan.

 

"Greta's sixteen, she's already graduated from high school and college with no less than three degrees. Her IQ? I think it was around 200 when it was first tested, and that was a few years ago. But then, Greta's . . . special."

 

/That's a nice way to put it./ her father snorts in her mind.

 

Allison pushes Fargo into a chair before he falls down. Nathan sighs, he had been right. He hadn't wanted to hear the answer.

 

"She's . . . y. . .y . . .your sister is smarter than anybody here in Eureka?" Fargo finally whispers.

 

"I don't know about that," Jo snorts. "But yes, she's a little smart. . .ass." She thinks a minute and smirks.

 

On Mount Olympus, Strife had finally settled down. He starts howling again and Ares sighs, seeing the look on his daughter's face. "What did Jo do to set you off?"

 

"Fargo's a fan of that one series Greta writes, the scientific adventure series. Even Nathan likes the books because they've got a basis in fact, Jo wondered if Greta could reveal she writes them before she leaves, something about making Fargo finally faint."

 

Ares moans and looks at his husbands, both of them giving him ear to ear grins. "Why are our daughters so . . . ?"

 

"Hell raising smart mouth brats?" Hermes asks with a smirk.

 

"I was going to say difficult." Ares says huffily. Joxer and Hades smirks and kiss him. "Because they're your daughters love, they take after their father."

 

Back in the farmhouse, Greta settles at a table with her laptop, fingers flying over the keyboard as she starts writing a report for Dayton on the bikes use today. Sending it off, she checks her e-mail and shuts the computer down. She'd sent off the next couple of chapters of the book she started while in the hospital to her editor before they left Denver, she should be hearing back from him in a couple of days.

 

Settling back in one of the old over-stuffed chairs, she pulls a book from the shelf telekinetically and listens to her brothers quietly talking about their jobs as she starts reading.

 

"Ahh, Chris don't mind me fooling around." Buck says. Ryan snorts. "Really, that's not what he had to say at the family reunion."

 

"Awww, ol' Chris was complaining because he was supposed to be complaining." Buck waves a hand. "He don't really mind, he's just got to yell at me because the ATF don't like agents actually having a life, they just want clones who don't think for themselves."

 

Spencer snorts. "The FBI is the same way, at least the ones assigned to the normal cases. I've heard there's a missing persons bureau in New York that has a good reputation, and of course there's the BAU."

 

Buck chuckles, "Yeah, I can't see you or your boss Gideon as normal FBI agents. Hell, I can't see Ryan as a uniformed police officer."

 

Ryan snorts. "Why do you think I joined the lab as soon as I could? At least I can be myself there. I'd hate to see what would have happened if Speed had died and I'd really had had to replace him. I don't think it would have been as easy fitting in as it was, not with Speed dropping in whenever he could and making sure I was part of the team."

 

"I think Greta has the right idea being her own boss." Spencer says.

 

"Greta's a goddess, I can't see her allowing anybody tell her what to do if she didn't want to." Buck smirks.

 

Ryan snorts. "Greta wouldn't let anybody tell her what to do even if she wasn't a goddess. She's too much like Dad. Jo's the same way, she'll listen to Dr. Stark, Dr. Blake, and the sheriff, but she won't immediately jump to do something they tell her."

 

Spencer starts sniggering. "Can you imagine Fargo as Jo's boss."

 

Buck snorts. "Fargo reminds me one of them yappy little dogs, all bluster no bite."

 

"Jo would shoot him the first time he opened his mouth and started telling her what to do." Greta snorts. "Did she tell you she slugged Sheriff Carter the first time she met him?"

 

Buck starts rubbing his hands together. "No, what happened?"

 

"Seems there's a stray dog running around town, Sheriff Carter, well he wasn't the sheriff then just as US Marshal, ran off the road to miss him. He walked into town with the prisoner he'd been transporting ,walked into the sheriff's office. Jo saw the gun and . . ."

 

"Fist meet face?" Greta nods. "I don't know the whole story because Dad wouldn't stop laughing, but the old sheriff retired due to injuries, Carter got the job."

 

"That would have pissed Jo off, an outsider coming in and getting the job."

 

"He didn't even know he was in the running, he got a 'promotion'" Greta makes quotation marks in mid-air.

 

"He got promoted from US Marshal to town sheriff?" Buck asks, stunned. "What the hell? That would be like the job of Dad's high priest going to the first guy who walked in off the street." He stops to think a second. "Or the chief of police getting a promotion to town dogcatcher."

 

"Dad says the town is a big think tank under the DoD, Sheriff Carter found out what was going on and they brought him in."

 

"How did Jo take it?"

 

"Well, it was rocky the first couple of months, the fact Jo tried to kill him under the influence of something didn't help matters either . . . " Ryan cackles. "I wonder if I can use that for an excuse the next time Stetler sticks his nose in the lab's business."

 

"You mean they let him come back?" Greta asks in disgust. Ryan nods. "Damn, I thought everything I did would have made him the laughing stock of the Miami-Dade Police Department."

 

Ryan snorts. "Too late, he already was. You just showed the entire city what the entire police department already knew, he was an asshole with a grudge against the lab. They're supposed to be keeping him on a short leash, but . . . "

 

"He needs a muzzle as well as a leash?" Spencer asks. Buck snickers.

 

"Ohh after he shot his mouth off in front of a microphone, he got a muzzle from the chief of police." Ryan sighs happily. "I guess my ex is good for something after all, besides just letting me know there was a mole in the lab."

 

"Was, not is?"

 

"Was." Ryan says in satisfaction, leaning against the back of the couch, arm tucked behind his head. "I took what information Erica had and took it to Horatio. Speed being off due to the shooting gave us somebody on the outside to investigate and he knew the lab intimately."

 

Greta looks over at Ryan. "You actually dated that thing?" She'd seen Erica on the news while in Miami and wasn't impressed. "I thought you had better taste than . . . that!"

 

"She wasn't that bad." Ryan says.

 

"She was a whiny opinionated bitch."

 

"Pot kettle black," Buck says, looking at her.

 

"Yeah, but I'm actually good at what I do, it's not bragging if it's the truth." Greta snorts. Spencer leans against Buck, cackling.

 

"So you had a mole in the lab? What happened?"

 

"I had an accident with a nail gun to the tear duct." His brothers and sister look at him. "Unc Apollo took care of it, but Horatio had me putting out a story that I might lose the sight in my eye. A couple of different stories to different people, when one of the stories I had put out was told by somebody outside the lab, we had the mole. It turned out to be the cold cases DNA tech, she was part of the grant that got us all the glass in the lab, she was pilfering money from the grant, claimed it was a 'salary' for her, she was tampering with evidence, passing along stories to a DA that was out to get Horatio, and worse of all," he growls, "the damn bitch was trying to get Eric, Horatio, and Speed to date her with a poor, poor, pitiful me sob story that made you want to protect her. Cow!" he spat. His brothers cackle. "Even Buck wouldn't have pretended to date her."

 

"Don't hold back Ryan, tell us how you really feel about her." Greta says.

 

"Oh, and don't get me started on Eric's sister, Marisol has cancer but she doesn't lose her hair, lose or gain weight, and always looks her best? She's trying to get Horatio to marry her, she wants a baby before she dies. Of course Horatio being so damn gallant would have married her until Eric and I put our foot down, Speed growled at her and Mrs. Delko dragged her off by her ear."

 

"She couldn't find her own man, she had to try to take her brother's?" Spencer asks, looking at Ryan.

 

Ryan smirks. "What, haven't you heard of sharing your toys? Not that she knew Horatio and I had finally had enough, tackled Eric when he was going to go out clubbing one night, and showed him where he belonged, in our bed moaning and screaming our names as he shakes from orgasm. She just thought he was a cute guy and a sucker for a sob story."

 

 

"It's really coming down out there." Spencer says, passing the window an hour later on the way into the kitchen. "It's," he looks at his watch, "barely seven pm and it's already dark out?"

 

"Don't tell me that." Ryan moans from his spot on the couch. "The worse you make it out there, the longer we're stuck in here."

 

"Turn on the local news, see if there's something on it about this freak snowstorm." Buck says, tossing the remote to Ryan as Greta comes up from the basement.

 

"We going to be okay?" Buck asks.

 

"Yeah, the generator has enough juice from the solar panels to last a couple of days, then if it doesn't clear up we can switch to the other generator. We've got a good supply of wood if the furnace conks out, we aren't going to starve, and if we do lose electricity we have flashlights and kerosene lamps. And if this storm lasts that fucking long we aren't staying here."

 

"There is nothing on the news about this storm." Ryan says, running through the local channels before turning back to the local station and tossing the remote on the table. "The weather channel, local stations, or national affiliates. It's like it doesn't exist."

 

Greta snorts. "From how Jo was reacting? Weird shit happens here all the time and nobody even blinks."

 

"Dinner." Spencer calls from the kitchen. "We might want to eat out there, it's cold in here."

 

"Eat in the living room? Grandma would have a fit." Buck snickers.

 

"Then let Grandma come sit in this cold kitchen, because I'm not." Spencer snorts, coming out of the kitchen with a plate, putting it on the coffee table before grabbing a tv tray from the stack in the corner of the room and starting to eat. Snickering, the others head into the kitchen, filling their plates, and settling down to eat. Ryan picking up the remote when he sees a blurb scroll across the bottom of the picture. Snickering, he turns to look at his brothers and sister. "There's unusual weather patterns developing. . . Who would have thought?"

 

"Somebody finally looked out their window?" Greta snorts. They finish eating, Ryan shoving everybody out of the kitchen so he could clean it to his satisfaction. This takes less time than normal as they'd had leftovers, no pots to clean just containers and dishes to put in the dishwasher and turn on. He runs a cloth over the counters to catch any crumbs and hangs it over the over handle to dry before walking out of the kitchen, shutting the door firmly behind him. Spencer had been right, it was damn cold in there.

 

The next morning finds Dr. Stark, Jo, and Henry coming down the road to the farmhouse in one of the town's snowplows. A figure heavily bundled in clothes is shoveling the walkway while somebody else blows out the driveway. A whistle and call of look out below has the person shoveling moving away from the house. Jo looks up and smirks, the person on the roof has to be Greta by the height. Greta's got a heavy push broom in her hands, brushing snow off the solar panels. Once all the snow is down, the person shoveling bellows up at her.

 

"You couldn't have done that before I started shoveling? Now I have to shovel the walk out all over again."

 

"Bitch, bitch, bitch, there's no solar panels over the walkway." Greta snorts as Ryan pulls the window open, allowing her back into the house.

 

"I see everybody survived." Jo smirks at her brothers.

 

"Not from lack of trying." Buck rolls his eyes as he looks at the path he'd just dug. "Dammit, Greta was right. I don't have to shovel the walk again." Identical cackles from his sisters greet his statement and he sighs. "I get no respect." he mutters as he knocks the snow off the shovel and puts it back in the garage, Spencer shutting off the snowblower and shoving it inside a few minutes later, Buck hitting the controls for the garage door opener when his brother is inside.

 

Everybody walks into the house from the garage, taking off their heavy coats and hanging them in the entryway before walking into the living room. Greta's settled on the couch with a book while Ryan finishes emptying the dishwasher.

 

"So any idea how long this shit is going to last?" Ryan asks his sister, tilting his head to look at her. He ignores the two men for the minute, knowing his sister would tell him the truth.

 

"Not a clue, it's not snowing in town. It starts up about a mile outside of town, we haven't figured out how far it extends the other way, but we've got people finding out. I just came to get my patrol vehicle and find out if you'd killed Greta yet for being annoying."

 

Greta snorts and Buck chuckles. "Nah, if we were going to kill Greta for being annoying she wouldn't have made it through puberty. Now Ryan on the other hand . . ." Ryan snorts and tosses the dishtowel in his hands over Buck's head. "Well at least you stopped bitching about being cold."

 

"I'm wearing thermal underwear, two pair of wool socks, and a long sleeved shirt. And I'm still cold."

 

"And when you get back to Miami you'll start bitching about being hot."

 

"Not with the way they crank the ac up at the lab, there's a reason why I wear sweater vests to work."

 

"Yeah, because you're a geek."

 

"Keep it up, I'm going to tell Dad you're picking on me."

 

Jo chuckles as she gets her heavy coat back on, heading out to her patrol vehicle. With Carter out, she's going to be pulling double duty. Hopefully with the weather as screwy as it is, people will stay inside and make her job easier. Jo snorts. Yeah, and maybe Fargo will dance naked through Global Dynamics professing his love for her. She shudders, that's more likely to happen than people staying inside making it easier on her. She sighs as she opens the door, yup, already a call for her. She sighs as she picks up the microphone. "Lupo, over."

 

"Jo, are Stark and Henry around?" Allison asks.

 

"Yes, they're still inside listening to my family tease Ryan about being cold."

 

"We have some information on how far this snow extends. Have one of them call me." the radio shuts down and Jo heads back into the house.

 

"Stark, Henry, one of you call Dr. Blake. She says she has information on how far this snow extends, I'm heading back to town now." Jo pretends to grumble as her brothers and sister tag team her in hugs and admonitions to try to stay out of trouble. Watching Jo, Henry snickers as Stark pulls out his phone and calls Global Dynamics. It's nice seeing the oh so deadly deputy dealing with her family, none of whom are the least bit intimidated by her grumpy mood.

 

Jo finally makes it back out to the patrol vehicle, cursing slightly when the wheels begin spinning on the snow before catching and driving through the snow until it reaches the area Spence had blew out. Once she reaches the area where it hasn't snowed she pulls onto the side of the road and pulls off her winter coat and gloves, tossing them into the back of the car before heading to the office.

 

She grabs her winter gear, storing it back in the closet in the office before settling in her office chair. She doesn't even have time to turn on her computer before the door flies open and Fargo comes running in like one of Ares warhounds were nipping at his heels.

 

"Now what?" she sighs. Sometimes she really hates her job.

 

Fargo is too busy gibbering to make coherent sense, grabbing her by the arm and pulling her towards the door. "Fargo, don't make me shoot you again." She warns. "It wouldn't be a sonic weapon like last time and Drs. Stark and Blake aren't here to give you CPR." She leaves unspoken the lie that she wouldn't give him CPR, he's an annoying little twerp but he grows on you. She's still grumbling when Fargo drags her outside and points upward.

 

Jo blinks and grabs her phone, fingers automatically finding the button for Dr. Stark. "Stark, where are you?" she asks when he answers.

 

"Still at your family's farmhouse. We were just about to leave." Stark says. He stares at the phone. The others, recognizing Jo's voice turn to look at him.

 

"Do me a favor and tell me how many suns you see in the sky?"

 

Stark blinks. "How many suns do I see in the sky?" he repeats. Buck chokes on a swig of coffee, spraying it all over Ryan while Spencer 'helpfully' pounds on his back. Ryan sighs and takes the towel Greta hands him, dabbing at his clothes.

 

Henry goes over to the door, looking out the window that isn't covered up. "One. " he reports back to Stark, who repeats that to Jo.

 

"Well there are three here in town." Jo says, taking a picture and sending it to his phone. It's Stark's turn to choke when he gets the picture, showing it to Henry.

 

"First it snows in August, then there's three suns in the sky in town. . ." Greta immediately heads upstairs. "And where are you going?" her brothers ask. "This I wanna see." she calls over her shoulder.

 

"Dress warmly, and wear my coat if you're going to be riding the 'cycle." Buck bellows up the stairs as he settles back on the couch. The two men he's not related to turn to look at him. "What? Greta's got a curiosity streak the size of her hair and Jo ain't one to make jokes." The two men nod. Greta comes down wearing her warmest clothes, a backpack on her back. "Somebody grab my computer and put it in?" she asks, turning around to show it's not zipped up. Spencer grabs the computer and cord, sticking it in the bag then zipping it up as Ryan comes in from the garage with Buck's coat. She stomps her feet into boots and follows the two men outside, sliding between them in the cab of the plow at their looks when she starts to head for the motorcycle.

 

"Well fuck." Greta breaths when the plow turns a corner and the snow vanishes abruptly. They pull off the side of the road to remove their winter clothes, Greta grabbing her camera out of the bag to snap pictures as she shoves her outer wear into the bag one handed. The other two men blink, they wouldn't have thought the bag big enough to hold much more than her laptop, let alone all her outer clothes and camera. Getting back into the cab, they drive into town, Stark and Greta looking up at the sky periodically to see how many suns are in the sky. Topping the ridge, they stop to look down at Eureka, staring at the three suns in front of them.

 

Everybody piles out again and Greta pulls a camera that burns to a dvd out of her backpack, zooming in on the scene in front of them, slowly turning around to zoom in on the single sun behind them. "Okay, this is becoming seriously strange, even for Eureka." Henry finally says.

 

Jo sighs in relief when the plow pulls up in front of the sheriff office and Henry, Stark, and . . . her sister get out. "Greta, what the hell are you doing here?" she asks.

 

"You think I was going to miss this?" Greta says.