Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup
[Reviews - 2]
Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +


Story Notes:
This is mainly just a bunch of snippets that are supposed to have more stuff inbetween them and after them. This fic will among other things have Umbridge beeing sympathetic and supportive of the poor pureblood with the troublesome marriage contract.

Voldemort looked around him curiously, this was not something he had expected to be part of the ritual. He was currently sitting, in what appeared to be the room symbolising his own mind when he practised his occlumency. A young woman sat in front of him and a few facts clicked into place.

"My lady." he greeted politely, it was never a good idea to be rude to those more powerful then oneself.

"Voldemort." she inclined her head slightly. "Congratulations on regaining your physical form."

"Thank you."

"Your ritual did however have a few unexpected results." Voldemort waited patiently. "You now have a decision to make."

"You may choose to be Father, Brother or Son, to Harry Potter. You will of course be Bound by your decision. Choose wisely, you will not be allowed to shirk your responsibilities."

"I understand my lady. May I have some time to consider my options?"

"Of course, such decisions should not be made lightly." The vision faded.

*******

"I would have your counsel Lucius."

"Of course My Lord." Lucius Malfoy sat in his chair and waited patiently for his lord to elaborate.

"I have a decision to make. In regards to Harry Potter." Lucius perked up, this sounded interesting. "It seems the ritual for my ressurection had some unusual side effects. I am now related, by blood, to Harry Potter. As well as required, by magic, to act in accordance with this relation. The upside is, I can choose the relation. I need to decide wheter I will be his brother or his father."

Lucius eyebrows raised, this was unexpected to say the very least. "They both have advantages. As his father you would have him entirely under your control. On the other hand you would also have a lot of obligations towards him. As his brother you would have fewer obligations but on the other hand you could not be sure of getting legal custody of the boy. Personally I'd say make him your son, if only for the sheer agony it would cause Dumbledore to have to send him back to you every holiday."

The Dark Lord smiled. "You have a point Lucius. The magical bindings will give me legal custody, and I don't think even Dumbledore will be able to challenge it."

********

Voldemort stood quietly, unseen, in the garden of number six Privet Drive. He could feel the wards just barely touching him. Curious as to who he was and what he was doing there but not at all seeing him as a threat. He focused his mind and reached for the wards, thinking only of his son, Harry, and how much he wanted to take him home. The wards warmed and softened a little and Voldemort smirked and thought of how safe Harry would be, how well he he would care for his son. The wards wrapped themselves around him, shielding and hiding him so he could retrieve his child without interference.

Voldemort walked calmly across the lawn to the front door. A whispered alohomora failed to create any response save for the audible click as the door unlocked. The man hiding under an invisibility cloak didn't seem to notice anything amiss. Voldemort smirked victoriously and entered the house. The magic easily guided him up the stairs to a door with a multitude of locks, Voldemort frowned, was his son a prisoner here? This made no sense. Several alohomoras later the door opened. On a small, rickety bed in a small, dingy room, lay the wizarding worlds savior, the-boy-who-lived, with bruises so livid Voldemort found himself wondering why the school medi-witch hadn't healed him from his quidditch accident before he went home. Then he recogised a handprint on his son's upper arm and realized there had not been any accident. Voldemort forced himself to calm down before he set off the wards. The muggles would pay, and pay dearly, but not just now.

A whispered spell ensured Harry didn't wake as Voldemort picked him up and and left the building.

********

Harry woke slowly, he was warm and comfy and his bed was very soft. Harry furrowed his brow, wasn't he supposed to be at the Dursleys? Even the beds at Hogwarts weren't this soft. He opened his eyes. He was in an unfamiliar bed in and unfamiliar room. The hangings around his bed were a dark green, the walls and furniture were also green with mostly silver accents. It was all very elegant and obviously expensive. Whoever this room belonged to was obviously a slytherin. A quick check confirmed that his wand was missing.

"OK, this can't be good."

A house elf popped into the room.

"Young Master is awake. Binky is telling young Master to eat his breakfast and get dressed before Master is coming to speak with young Master."

"Who is Master, Binky?" Harry asked.

"Binky is not allowed to say. Master is telling young Master all when young Master has finished his breakfast."

"OK Binky, I understand." The house elf dissappeared with a pop.

Harry got up and looked around, the breakfast tray was placed on a small table by a window. But a change of clothes was first, whoever had managed to take him from Privet Drive, he was NOT  facing them in his pajamas. A look in the closet revealed a set of dressrobes in brilliant emerald green with silver trim. Harry mentally groaned but seeing no other option dressed in the slytherin colours.

Harry sat down and looked at his breakfast. There was toast, eggs, bacon, fruit and milk. He wondered if it was safe to eat but he was hungry and after some internal deliberation he concluded that if whoever had him wanted to drug him there was really nothing he could do to stop them so he might as well eat the potentially drugged food. When he had finished the plates and glass dissappeared and a potions phial appeared. Harry looked at it, it was the familiar orange of a calming potion, but that didn't mean it WAS a calming potion. A check revealed that it also smelled like a calming potion, but Harry really didn't know enough about potions to determine if it was a calming potion or not. A note appeared on the tray.

"Harry. You will drink the potion. Either by yourself or by having it poured down your throat. I will not be wasting my time trying to talk to a screaming gryffindor."

There was no signature.

Seeing little choice Harry swallowed the potion. It tasted like a calming potion.

As soon as the potion took effect the door opened. Harry looked up feeling only an idle curiosity as to the identity of his kidnapper.

"Good morning, Harry." said Voldemort.

"Good morning, Voldemort." answered Harry suddenly feeling like his head was full of cotton. "Why did you kidnap me?"

"Well it seems when I used your blood to make my new body, there were a few side effects. Long story short, you are now my Son."

"What?" the fuzzyness in his head seemed to be getting worse.

"I'm your Father, Harry, and I'm also magically bound to care for you like a father should. That means feeding, clothing, housing, educating and all that. You will be living here from now on. I have a tailor coming in to get you a new wardrobe and a tutor will be arriving in a few days to improve your grades, as I have it on good authority that your schoolwork is well below what I'd expect from my son. Of course given the situation I found you in that could have it's explanations, but none the less a tutor will not hurt. If you wish for company your own age I will invite some of my followers children. You may NOT however continue to associate with the mudblood and the Weasley brat. You have nothing to fear here, from me or my death eaters. Anything you want you have only to ask for, if you ask for your wand or to be released from my care or some other such nonsense you will of course be denied. Now, have you understood all this Harry?"

"What? I'm sorry my head seems to be filled with cotton. What did you just say?"

"Your head feels like it's filled with wool because you're fighting the potion. If you relax and stop trying to get mad you will find your mind much clearer." 

Harry didn't think he was trying to get mad, but did as he was told and tried to relax. After a while he felt the fog lifting from his mind.

"I am not your son. I'm James and Lily Potter's son. The child you've been trying to kill ever since you knew of his existance. I will live where I please. And I will associate with whom I choose. And my grades are not your business." Even with the potion Harry was amazed at his calmness.

"As a result of using your blood to ressurect me your are now my Son. You were born to James and Lily Potter but that is no longer of any consequens. I will certainly not do anything to harm my own Son. As you are underage you will live where I say. I would not hesitate to have the mudblood and the Weaslys killed if that's what it takes to keep you away from bad company. And as I already stated, your grades are far below the standards I set for my family. I fully understand that you dont wish to follow these new rules for your life and in typically Gryffindorish fashion will probably lash out in some foolish way. I would urge you to think of what I could do to punish you for that. I will not harm you, but you do have a lot of very poorly protected friends, don't you, Harry?"

"So if I don't obey you will kill my friends? That's a low blow even for you." Harry was grateful for the calming potion now as he could feel his emotions raging out of control just beyond his consious mind.

"Maybe so, but all the same. I will not have my Son in the company of bloodtraitors and mudbloods."

*******

Harry squirmed uncomfortably in the spell circle while the witch chanted. He was surrounded by runes and gems and he had no idea what the purpose of the ritual was. Voldemort had calmly informed him he would be informed after it was completed and only if he complied to the demand that he sit still for the duration.

******

Voldemort casually dismissed his Death eaters. "Lucius remain." The Death eaters filed out, leaving the blond behind.

"What is it, my Lord?"

"Step into my office Lucius."

Voldemort sat at his desk and poured himself a brandy. "Would you like a drink Lucius?"

"Yes please." Lucius took a seat across from the Dark Lord and carefully sipped his brandy. "I take it this is more personal business my Lord?"

"Indeed it is, Lucius. As you know I have a son now. So I had a Connexioritual performed on him."

"Did you find a suitable match for him.?" Lucius asked politely, wondering if perhaps his lord wanted help planning the engagement party or a discreet check to see if the family was indeed suitable.

"I did." Voldemort nodded. "I don't believe you have a contract for Draco yet?" he inquired casually.

"We have a preliminary with the Parkinsons but we'll probably break it soon. The children aren't that good a match and they are not at all taking to each other." Lucius frowned.

"That's good."

"My Lord?"

"Since I find Draco an excellent match for my son."

Lucuis smiled. "Yes my Lord." Inwardly he breathed a sigh of relief, he'd been worried about his son's lack of appropriate matches.

"I expect you'll bring his documents and the rest of the paperwork over tomorrow?"

"Of course my Lord." Lucius bowed and left quickly to tell Narcissa the good news.

*******

Voldemort knocked on his Son's door later that evening and entered after a few seconds, he knew the boy would not invite him, or probably anyone, to his room for a while yet. He really was a very uncooperative and stubborn child.

Harry looked up from his homework as he entered. "What do you want?" he snapped.

Voldemort frowned. "For one thing I want my Son to be polite and well mannered." he said. "I can see I shall have to hire you tutor for that too."

Harry bristled. "I have told you over and over, I. Am. Not. Your. Son."

Voldemorts eyes grew cold, "Perhaps you should consider our previous conversation about punishments?" he stated in a chilling voice, already planning the raid in his head.

Harry's eyes widened in horror as he realised exactly what Voldemort was referring to. "Don't."

"Pleading to get out of punishment is not ever going to be effective here Harry. Becuase of your inability to conform to normal curtesy there will be a raid against one of your friends, I will show you the article in the paper later. Now if you make a sincere and appropriate, polite apology for your behavior, there may be no casualties. Have I made myself clear?"

"Yes Sir, crystal clear Sir." Harry struggled to keep his hate and resentment out of his voice. He could do this, for his friends he could do this. "I'm sorry I snapped at you Sir, it was rude of me and I shouldn't have done it."

"That was a truly pathetic attempt at an apology, but none the less I will accept it. You're lucky I was in a good mood when I came here. My death eaters will have orders not to kill on the raid against your friend."

"Thank you Sir." Harry felt sick with relief and guilt and several other conflicting and confusing emotions.

"Well? Don't you want to know what I came here for? The reason I was in such a good mood?"

Harry took a deep breath he was not out of the woods yet. "Of course Sir, what was it you wished to speak to me about?"

"I was wondering if there was anything in particular you would like to have mentioned in your marriage contract?"

"Marriage Contract?" Harry squeaked.

"Yes, I found you a suitable match and will be going over the papers with the family patriarch tomorrow, if there is anything you feel is especially important in your future marriage you need to say so now." Voldemort actually found the boy's near panic rather amusing, it was a novel feeling, comprised of almost equal parts fondness and glee, he hadn't felt anything like it in decades, if ever.

"But I'm only fourteen!"

"Most pureblood children are promised to each other when they are far younger. You're lucky I was able to find you a good match and even more so they were willing to break their preliminary for the chance to marry into the Slytherin line."

"But I don't want to be married!"

"Don't be so ridiculous Harry. You're going to be betrothed, not married." Harry started breathing again. "Marriage isn't until you turn seventeen." Voldemort finished with a smirk. "And if I need to remind you of your manners again I will be very displeased."

Harry gulped and forced himself to calm down. "I'm sorry Sir. This is a bit of a chock."

"Yes I understand the meddling old coot never put much thought into your future." Harry bristled but didn't speak. "You should consider the matter and write down all your specific requests, I'll collect the paper before the meeting. Have a good night Harry." Voldemort left.


Marriage contract! Harry was panicking, how on earth was he going to get out of this? It was probably some Slytherin girl and he didn't see any way he could possibly live with any of them. Maybe if he made some really outrageous demands they'd change their minds? Or just ignore him.  He took a deep breath and sat down he had to think rationally about this. What did he know about purebloods? They were arrogant, predjudiced asses. They liked outdated customs. They believed in torture and random murder. OK maybe that wasn't true for most of them but certainly for Volemort's lot. So what then did he need to put in the contract to make his life at least tolerable?

********

Voldemort smiled in amusement as he read Harry's paper. No hexing, cursing or poisoning. Did the boy actually think he needed to put that in his marriage contract? No excessive punishing of his children. Voldemort shook his head. No random cruelty. He really needed to have a talk with that child.

******

Voldemort sat down in his office and waited for Lucius to arrive. Casually he contemplated the match between Harry and Draco. It seemed odd on the surface but after getting to know his Son better Voldemort could see the clear benefits. Not only politically, even if it was a very good political match, but also on the personal plane. Draco was proud, competitive, stubborn, perfectionist and had the ability to think ahead and plan things through that Harry often lacked. Draco also had the Malfoy devotion to family that sometimes annoyed Voldemort in the elder Malfoy. Harry may not be happy about the match but once he stopped fighting it he would notice how Draco could make him happy.

His musing was interupted by a knock on the door. "Enter."

The negotiations went well. Lucius shared his Lord's amusement by Harry's notes, although they did adapt most of them to less ridiculous wordings and put them in the contract.

"When will we make the announcement My Lord?"

"Harry's birthday is in a few weeks. We can make the announcement a few days before and have a combined birthday and engagement party. I'm sure Narcissa will have a lot of fun planning the event."

"That sounds excellent My Lord. I'm sure she will. I expect Malfoy Manor will be acceptable?"

"Of course Lucius, I have every confidence in your warding. Oh and Lucius? Do let your son know to be expecting trouble. Harry isn't exactly the most cooperative."

"Of course my Lord."

*********

Draco knocked uncertainly on Harry's door. His fiancée hadn't taken the news of their engagement well, but Draco was determined to make it work. He was a Malfoy, and Malfoys don't fail, at anything. Besides being a good match, Harry was the Dark Lord's Son, and the prestige of making such a good marriage was more than worth the effort it would take to get on Harry's good side. Recieveing no respons he knocked again, and then hesitantly opened the door, barging in unannounced would not get Harry to like him.

Harry was sitting in a chair staring out a window and looking rather morose.

"Harry?" There was no reply. "Harry."

"What is it Malfoy?" he snapped.

"You look sad. Want to tell me what's wrong?" Draco used his most solicitous tone, hoping to get to know his fiancée a bit better.

"Besides having to marry you?"

"Yes, besides that."

"I'm not allowed to see my friends again ever, or they will be murdered, and aside from that so called party I haven't left this house in two months."

"Well I can't do much about Weasly and Granger, but I did come here to see if you wanted to come to Diagon Alley with me and have icecream."

"Icecream?"

"Yes, of course to make our fathers happy that we're not wasting time we will also be getting our school supplies. But mostly, we're going for the icecream." Draco smiled.

Harry narrowed his eyes. "Why are you being nice to me, Malfoy?"

"We're engaged Harry. We're going to be married. Which means we'll spend our lives together. I think we'll both be happier if we work on getting along. I know neither of us would have chosen this. But I know we can make it work if we try. My parents weren't exactly happy about their match at first. But they put a bit of effort in it and they are happy together. Notice how I said Weasly and Granger instead of Weasel and Mudblood? Not deliberatly pissing each other off is a start. So is going out and having icecream together."

"Is there really no way out of that contract?"

"No. I'm sorry Harry."

"No you're not. You're marrying into the Slytherin line, YOU are perfectly happy about this." Harry accused.

"About the marriage, yes, about you being so obviously UNhappy about it, no. Come on Harry, let me take you out for icecream, maybe you'll feel a bit better when you see the human side of me. I'm really not that bad when I'm not deliberatly trying to rile you up."

Harry sighed. "Fine, I do need some fresh air and sunshine." He got up from his seat. "Let's get out of here."

Draco eyed him critically. "Harry? You need new robes. Those are wrinkly."

"That usually happens when you wear clothes."

Draco marched up to Harry's closet and started going through his clothes, fianlly coming up with a dark green robe with a discreet gold filigree designat the hem and sleeves. "Here, wear this."

"Are you always this bossy when you try to be nice?"

Draco blushed a faint pink, he hadn't meant to be pushy. "Well I, yes actually. If it concernes clothing. My friends all say it's a good thing I'm engaged to a Bona fides fashion disaster, now maybe I'll stop dressing them."

Harry laughed. "Alright Malfoy you win, I'll go change."

Harry took the new robe and disappeared into the bathroom. Draco smiled to himself, he'd agreed to go out with him, he'd agreed to wear nice clothes to go out with him and Draco had made him laugh. Three points to Draco Malfoy. Of course the continued use of his last name was not a good thing but he was sure he'd get him to stop that soon.

******

Harry was surprised that he was actually having a good time with Malfoy. Although he figured it may have something to do with not having been out or even in the company of someone his own age for two months. They went to Gringotts first to get money and then continued strolling along the alley. Malfoy introduced him to the higher class stores with clothes and accessories and even quidditch and bookshops where the Weaslys had never gone for the simple reason they could not afford anything in the store.

Harry was less than thrilled with Malfoy's insistance on touching him but didn't make a fuss about it, after all he didn't know when he'd be allowed out again. Harry noticed how poeple where staring at him, but managed to completely miss the discreet surveillance he was under from the time they arrived. Malfoy steered him towards Florean Fortescues for ice cream and he was just in the middle of a chocolate ice cream with strawberries when he saw Ron and Hermione coming out from Flourish and Blotts. He froze, the ice cream suddenly feeling like a lead weight in his stomach. He couldn't talk to them as it would put them in danger. If they saw him they would want to talk to him.  He would have to be rude and cruel to make them go away. Suddenly he didn't enoy the day at all.

Draco followed his fiancées frightened gaze.

"What's the matter Harry? I thought you rather liked them. I know they will be less than pleased about us but I don't think they'll hold it against you."

"I'm not allowed to talk to them. Ever. Under threat of non lethal but still very nasty punishment. They've been my friends forever. I won't even be allowed to tell them why I can't talk to them." Harry's voice was anguished.

Draco saw an opportunity to get on Harry's good side. "Would you like me to talk to them for you?"

Harry stared at him. "Why would you do that and what would you want in return?" But he already knew he would take the offer whatever Malfoy would demand in return, and so did Draco.

"I'd do it to make my fiancée happy, and I would want you to be happy." he smiled. "And mention to our parents I was a good boyfriend, and make sure the gawkers get the right impression of course."

"So basically say nice things and act like this isn't completely against my will. I can do that. Please go talk to them Malfoy."

"Call me Draco."

"Alright, Draco."

Draco left the table and made his way to Weasly and Granger. Swiftly pulling them out of public view  but keeping them easily seen by Harry.

"Weasly, Granger."

"What do you want Malfoy?" Weasly spat.

"I trust you've read the papers and such so you're informed of Harry's change in circumstances?"

"We are yes." Granger answered elbowing Weasly in the ribs when he tried to talk. "Shut up Ron."

Weasly glowered but kept quiet.

"Well he asked me to tell you this."

"Why wouldn't he tell us himself?"

"Becasuse he's not allowed to talk to you anymore. Ever. Under any circumstance. If he tries to talk to you he will be punished. If you talk to him he will be punished. If you have any contact what so ever he will be punished. And given that the Dark Lord would be doing the punishing I think you can figure out for yourselves just why he almost cried when he saw you. He isn't happy about this but he can't change it and he doesn't want to risk the punishment for disobedience. This will probably be the only time you can use me as a gobetween so say anything you need to now."

"You're lying. No threat of punishment would be enough to make Harry cut ties with his friends."

"Look over there." Draco pointed to Harry.

"That could be someone wearing a glamour."

"If you make any attempt to contact him you will get him in trouble. You say he would never cut ties with his friends? Well think about what the Dark Lord could come up with to make him."

Both Weasly and Granger paled at that.

"Do you have any messages for him?"

"Yes. Tell him we love him and we understand he would never do this if he had a choice. Buy him a book from me and a box of chocolate frogs from Ron on his birthdays if he can't get ours."

"I will."

Draco left and returned to Harry.

"What did they say?"

"They love you and they understand you wouldn't do this if you had a choice."

"Is that all? It looked like more."

"They had a few instructions for me as well."

"Oh?"

"Yes I am to treat you well and buy you a book from Granger and a box of chocolate frogs from Weasley every birthday."

Harry smiled. "Thank you for doing this for me Draco."

"You're welcome Harry." Draco smiled.