Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

"Hey Giles, what's up, man? It's been ages since we had a Scooby meeting at the house of tea and scones. Hope it's nothing apocalypsy. It's not the end of the world again, is it?" Xander quickly looked around at the girls, seemingly trying to see if they knew any more than he did.

Rupert almost chuckled at the worried look that suddenly crossed Xander's face, and then the girls' faces as well. "No it's not the end of the world. In fact it's not even demon related. I'm sorry if I startled you all by requesting your presence this evening. I know we don't get together at my place very often, but I did have something very important to discuss with all of you."

"That's alright, Giles. We don't mind taking time out of our sex life to visit with you, at least not if it is something important, or if you are feeding us free food. Xander has a healthy appetite after all and that can get expensive."

Rupert did chuckle at that remark. He would miss Anya's unique way of expressing herself. There were simply very few people in today's world that were as refreshingly, and often embarrassingly, blunt as Anya was. He sincerely hoped that hers and Xander's marriage would continue to thrive over the years. He had been very proud to be part of that ceremony.

"I have of course already telephoned the pizza place, and there is soda and juice in the fridge. I would not even consider holding a Scooby meeting without food." He attempted to look affronted at this remark, if only to get his children to laugh. His effort succeeded nicely.

"Well why don't we all get settled, and then Mr. Giles can tell us whatever he has on his mind. Willow, will you help me get the drinks? The kitchen isn't really big enough for all of us to be trying to get drinks. Mr. Giles, what would you like?" It was lovely hearing Tara's soft voice. She had gotten more certain of herself and her place in the group since the move to Seattle. They had all grown up so much. But really he mustn't get misty eyed now. It would make the children suspicious.

"That's very sweet of you, Tara. I'll have a ginger beer." He wasn't about to drink anything stronger until after this meeting, he needed all of his wits about him for the coming discussion. Hopefully the ginger and carbonation would settle his stomach a bit.

"We have our drinks and are all comfy. We're all ears Giles." Dawn twisted one end of her golden brown hair and fidgeted with the label on her cola.

Giles smiled at her, hoping to ease her nerves, but knowing that what he was about to say would have them all even more worried.

"I have been thinking quite a bit lately on what I would like to do with my life now that I am no longer an active watcher." Giles held up a hand to forestall any interruptions. "Do let me finish before you start shouting, please. As I was saying, I have been thinking about my future. Now I know that you think I do plenty here, but really you have all proven yourself more than capable to handle the world without me."

He had to hold up his hand again. "Please let me finish. I know we are a family, by bond if not by blood, and I consider each and every one of you my children. And as frustrating as you lot can be from time to time, I could not possibly wish for a better family. But as with all families, children grow up and parents must move on. That doesn't mean that I will no longer be a part of your lives. It would take a great deal more than distance to remove me from your lives."

At this point apparently Willow could no longer contain her words. She sounded rather despondent when she practically yelled, "You're going back to England?!"

"No, no, my dear. I'm not going back to England. I received a job offer that would move me to Colorado, and I have decided to take it. Before I go into the specifics however I must ask you all to promise me something, okay?"

They all looked nervous at this, but he made sure he held each of their gazes until they nodded slowly.

"You all recognize the fact that I am an adult capable of making my own decisions, weighing all the options, and would not accept a job without knowing fully what I was getting into." He received a bunch of confused nods at this.

"I have accepted a job as a civilian consultant for the international program being run by the United States Air Force." He waited for the furor to die down. His calm gaze swept the room, hopefully reminding his children of what he had just said.

Once their objections puttered out, he reminded them vocally, "You did just agree that I would not take a job without knowing fully what I was getting into, right? So please do not insult me now by acting as if I would do anything that would endanger any of you. To continue, this job would be based in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and would involve my linguistic training. That is unfortunately all I can tell you, as the job is highly classified." He noted the calculating look that entered Willow's eyes and put into action the plan he had made earlier.

"Now what I want you all to promise me is that you will not peer into things that are not your business." Xander and Anya looked hesitant, Dawn and Willow looked like they would agree but were already planning something, and Tara simply looked thoughtful.

"I assure you all that this project is on the up and up, so to speak. It is nothing at all like the Initiative, and you should know that I would never accept a position with such an organization. I lost enough of my soul working for the council thank you very much. You all have your own responsibilities now, and if this were related I would have figured out a way to tell you. However this project is not related to the supernatural, and while it has its dangers is not something that we would need to handle as a group. Now, I want you to swear on the love, loss, and magic that bind us together as a family that you will not in any way--not by magic, computers, social engineering, or any other means--try to find out what goes on at this base. If it makes you feel better we can make connection amulets that will allow us to contact each other no matter the distance or barrier between us, but that is the only concession I will allow. Now will you trust this old man, and make the promise he has asked of you?"

Slowly he managed to get each of his children to use his exact wording in making their promise. While he trusted them with his life, his soul, and many other things, he was quite familiar with their curiosity and stubborn tendency to want to protect their family. So he had designed a magical binding that would help them keep their promise. When he explained the precise wording, he got quite a few grins and sheepish looks and knew that he had been right.

Finally, looking solemnly at the young man and women who had taken up so much room in his heart, he made them his own promise. "I swear on the love, loss, and magic that bind us together as a family that I will never reveal any information that would put any of you, Angel's crew, or those who become involved with either group later in any danger from any entity, person, or organization that I come into contact with."

When he was finished he noticed that there were a great deal of watery eyes, his own included. After several group and individual hugs, someone commented that they had snot of their shirt, while another made "eww" noises.

Finally it was Xander that said, "Alright, enough of the mushy stuff. So, G-man, when do you want to have a packing party?"