Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Xander sighed and put his head down on his arms. It had already been two weeks and they were no closer to figuring things out. At least he’d managed to convince Dick to get back to his life; he really didn’t want to be responsible for the other man losing his job or something. Giles had flipped out when he’d rung and had insisted he return to England but Xander had refused. He didn’t want to be coddled and that was exactly what would happen if he went back. Yes, Dick was worried but at least he was letting Xander try to figure it out for himself while giving whatever help he could. Shaking his head Xander stood and went to the fridge, Dick would be home soon and would then need to get ready for his night job so Xander figured it was the least he could do to have some food ready for him. Xander had just finished the meal when he doubled up, clutching his stomach as pain tore through him. He managed a strangled gasp before everything went black and he slumped to the floor.

-----------------

As soon as he opened the door Dick realised something was wrong. Still in his uniform he slipped his gun from its holster and moved silently further inside, searching the rooms. When he reached the kitchen he froze for a split second before dropping to his knees beside his friend. Xander didn’t move as he carefully felt for a pulse. Relieved to find one Dick grabbed the phone and called for an ambulance, not that he thought they could do a lot for the Watcher but he had to do something. He placed a hand on his friends shoulder, hoping Xander would somehow sense he wasn’t alone anymore. He only moved when he had to get up to let the paramedics in.

Dick stood to the side as the two men began work on his unconscious friend. He clenched his hands into fists feeling completely useless even as one began asking him questions. He answered automatically; unable to take his eyes off Xander’s too still form. He followed them down to the ambulance and climbed into the back as the vehicle took off towards the hospital.

--------------------

He groaned as a wave of pain washed over him but struggled to open his eyes. He had to do it though he didn’t know why. He struggled weakly as he felt something trying to hold him down. Vague sounds reached him as he continued to struggle until a voice cut through the noise. The voice was calm and familiar as it spoke to him even as gentle warmth soothed his face. He calmed and slowly sank back into the darkness.

Dick relaxed as Xander slowly stilled under his touch. He had fought the nurses but had responded to his voice and touch, obviously he had been aware enough to at least realise that Dick meant him no harm. He looked up as a doctor entered the room and checked Xander over.

“How is he?” dick asked softly, not sure that he really wanted to know.

“We’re still running tests. So far everything’s come back negative. Has he been exposed to anything recently? Or taken anything?”

“No. He was in Africa for a while though.” Dick figured he should at least give them that, not that it would help.

“Until we find out all we can do is keep giving him pain meds. I’m sorry.” Dick nodded absently as the doctor left. Dick stayed a while longer before leaving to make a phone call.

“Rupert Giles speaking.”

“Xander’s deteriorating, he collapsed today and is in the hospital. Whatever your people are researching I suggest they hurry.” Dick hung up, unwilling to get into another argument with the man.

“How is he?” Dick almost jumped at the sound of his mentor and fathers voice but managed not to. He turned and gave Bruce a tired smile.

“He hasn’t woken yet though he was fighting the staff for a bit. I managed to calm him down and he seems more peaceful now. All the tests are coming back negative, they’re not equipped for magic.”

“Go home and get some sleep, I’ll watch him.” Bruce laid a hand on Dick’s shoulder and squeezed it gently. Dick gave him a grateful look and left. Bruce headed up to the room and slipped inside. He stood by the bed and looked down at the young man lying so still. This was not the same young man he’d first met. That man had been full of life and strong, now he was pale and appeared almost dead. Bruce sat in the nearby chair and settled in to keep watch over his son’s friend.

---------------------

“Giles we have to do something! We can’t just leave him with those people, he belongs to us!” Giles looked up at his one time charge in shock.

“Don’t you mean with us? It is Xander’s choice Buffy and he chose to go to them for help.”

“But he can’t! Why would they want him anyway? Donut runs?” Giles slammed his hands down on the desk even as he stood to tower of ‘his’ Slayer.

“That is enough! After everything that young man has given to this fight I will not listen to you belittle him. I do not know why you continue to act this way towards Alexander but he is one of the bravest people I know. How many times has he saved you Buffy? Has saved all of us and yet you continue. I thought you had moved past this but obviously I was wrong. Until you grow up I do not wish to see you.” Buffy stared at him in shock as he sat back down and puled the reports he had been reading back in front of himself.
“That means remove yourself from my office, now.” The oldest Slayer was too shocked to say anything as she left the office and Giles sighed as he began reading through the reports. So far nothing had been found to help the boy he considered his own son. He took his glasses off and buried his head in his hands. He could not imagine losing Xander so close to losing Willow. Those two in many ways had been the heart of their group; they could not lose them both. There had to be a way to save the young man.

TBC…