Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Just seeing what people think of this. Let me know if I should continue.

“Sam! Get a move on would ya? We were supposed to be there like 15 minutes ago. Sam! Ya comin or what?” Jess called out to her boyfriend of the last few years. She was glad she’d decided to take the Old Man’s advice to try something new. If she hadn’t then she never would have met Sam. She smiled brightly as she finished getting ready. Sure a nurse wasn’t the most imaginative idea but she did look good in the uniform and it would get Sam’s attention. She turned to Sam as he poked his head around the corner.

“Do I have to?” He asked, almost whining.

“Yes. It’ll be fun. And where’s your costume?” She shot him an annoyed look at the sight of his casual clothes. Sam scoffed.

“You know how I feel about Halloween.” He told her and Jess nodded, yeah she knew how he felt and couldn’t really blame him.

“Alright, but please, just try to have fun tonight?” She begged and he smiled, pulling her close and kissing her.

“Okay.” He agreed and they left the apartment. Jess shivered slightly and Sam pulled her closer, not realising it wasn’t the cold she was reacting to but the feeling of vulnerability that had suddenly hit since she wasn’t armed. The small blade tucked into her bra wouldn’t do much good but Stanford was usually pretty quiet.

Sam opened the door to the bar for her and they pushed their way into the crowd of partiers. It took a while but they eventually made it over to a familiar face and joined him at his table for drinks.

“So here’s to Sam and his awesome LSAT victory.” Jess called, raising her glass to toast his victory.

“All right, all right it’s not that big a deal.” Sam was almost blushing from the praise and she squeezed his hand in support.

“He acts all humble but he scored a 174.”

“Mmm. Is that good?”

“Scary good.” Jess admitted.

See there you go; you are first-round draft pick. You can go to any law school you want.”

“Actually I got an interview here…Monday. If it goes ok I think I got a shot at a full ride next year.” Sam said and Jess grinned.

“Hey it’s gonna go great.” She told him.

“It better.” Sam sighed and Jess shook her head at his modesty.

“How does it feel to be the golden boy in your family?”

“Ah, they don’t know.” Sam admitted.

“Don’t know? I would be gloating! Why not?” He asked in disbelief.

“Cause we’re not exactly the Brady’s.” Sam admitted and Jess frowned. Sam never really talked about his family but then again she lied about her so who was she to talk?

“And I’m not exactly the Huxtables. More shots?” He started to walk away from the table.

“No, no.” Sam called after him.

“No.” Jess added but then turned to Sam.
“Seriously. I’m proud of you and your gonna knock ‘em dead on Monday and you’re gonna get that full ride. I know it.” She leant closer to him and Sam took her hand.

“What would I do without you?” He asked and she smiled.

“Crash and burn.” She leant in and kissed him gently.

----------------------
Jess woke to feel Sam getting out of bed and she could faintly hear something out in the main rooms of the apartment. But she faked sleep since that was what was expected of her, she couldn’t feel anything so Sam should be able to handle the intruder, she hoped. The sounds of fighting made her get up and hover in the hallway, the sounds finally stopped to be replaced by voices.

“Whoa, easy, tiger.” A strange, male voice called.

“Dean?” Sam’s shocked question was answered with a laugh.
“You scared the crap out of me.” She smiled at Sam’s comment.

“That’s cause you’re out of practice.” Dean said and Jess frowned, practice for what? There was the sound of another scuffle and she tensed but then Dean was laughing again.
“Or not…Get off me.”

“Dean, what the hell are you doing here?” She could tell Sam was very annoyed from the tone he was using and she didn’t blame him considering the hour.

“Well I was looking for a beer.”

“What the hell are you doing here?” Sam demanded this time.

“Okay, all right, we gotta talk.” Talk? As far as she knew Sam had had no contact with his family since coming to Stanford.

“Uh, the phone?” Sam asked.

“If I’d have called, would you have picked up?” At the sarcastic reply Jessica decided she’d had enough and turned on the light.

“Sam?” She made it seem like she’d only just woken.

“Jess, hey. Dean, this is my girlfriend Jessica.” He explained as he moved to stand with her.

“Wait, your brother Dean?” She asked as if she hadn’t been eavesdropping. Dean looked her over and then focused on her shirt.

“I love the Smurfs. You know I gotta tell you, you are completely out of my brother’s league.” She fought to not roll her eyes at his attitude.

“Just let me put something on.”

“No, no, no, I wouldn’t dream of it…Seriously. Anyway, I gotta borrow your boyfriend here, talk about some private family business, but, uh, nice meeting you.”

“No. No. Whatever you wanna say you can say it in front of her.” Sam demanded, wrapping his arms around her.

“Okay. Um…dad hasn’t been home in a few days.” And that didn’t sound suspicious.

“So he’s working over-time on a “Miller Time” shift; he’ll stumble back in sooner or later.” Sam shot back.

“Dad’s on a hunting trip and he hasn’t been home in a few days.” Jess couldn’t help but frown at his emphasis on the word hunting.

“Jess, excuse us. We have to go outside.” Sam stepped away and towards his brother. She frowned as they went outside. She couldn’t help hovering by the window to watch them but she couldn’t hear anything.

“Yeah? When I told dad when I was scared of the thing in my closet he gave me a .45.” She started at Sam’s yell. A .45? What sort of father gives their kid a gun at nine? And what did Sam mean by the thing in his closet? Something seriously didn’t add up about Sam’s family but she just couldn’t figure out what. She pulled back and went into the kitchen when it looked like they were coming back up the stairs. Hearing a noise from the bedroom she went in to find Sam packing a duffle bag.

“Wait you’re taking off? Is this about your dad? Is he all right?” She asked, concerned about Sam’s behaviour.

“Yeah, you know, just a little family drama.” He tried to smile at her.

“But your brother said he was on some kind of a hunting trip.” Jess frowned at him.

“Aw yeah, he’s just deer hunting up at the cabin and he’s probably got Jim, Jack, and Jose along with him. We’re just gonna go bring him back.” Sam turned back to his packing.

“What about the interview?” Jess tried.

“I’ll make the interview. This is only for a couple of days.” Sam started walking out the door.

“Sam, I mean, please, just stop for a second. You sure you’re okay?” Jess tried, grabbing his hand.

“I’m fine.” Sam insisted.

“It’s just…you won’t even talk about your family and now you’re taking off in the middle of the night to spend the weekend with them? And with Monday coming up which is kind of a huge deal.” Jess was all but begging for an explanation she had a feeling Sam wasn’t going to give.

“Hey, everything’s gonna be okay. I will be back in time-I promise.” Sam pulled her into a kiss and then walked out the door.

“At least tell me where you’re going.” She shouted after him but he didn’t answer.

-----------------------------------
Jess sighed as she hung up. Sam was obviously busy or something if he wasn’t answering. As soon as she went to walk away it started ringing and she grabbed at it.

“Sam?”

“Sorry kiddo, will I do?”

“Adam! You back from Paris?” She smiled as she settled in to talk to her old friend and teacher.

“Of course, you know I hate French winters. So why did you think I was the wonderful Sam?” Adam asked.

“Do you have to make fun of him? You’ve never even met him.”

“That would be an interesting conversation, how exactly would you introduce me?”

“As the oldest, most annoying jerk on the planet?” She teased and Adam laughed.

“Seriously, how are you and this Sam going?” Jess sighed and settled into her chair better.

“I think it’s getting serious Adam. Yeah we live together but...I saw him looking at rings the other day. He doesn’t know I was at the mall though. What do I do if he asks? I can’t say yes while he thinks we can have kids and how long till I age out of this identity. Do I risk telling him?” She rushed out and then heard Adam’s answering sigh.

“You don’t ask the easy ones, do you?” They were both quiet for a bit before Adam began to speak again.
“I’ve been married many times over the millennia and each one if different. Some have known about me and others have remained blissfully unaware. You need to at least admit to being barren, it’s not fair to let him think you’ll have the 2.5 kids one day. As for telling him the whole truth? That’s your choice, but you have to be sure he’ll handle it. If you don’t think he will then you need to decide what will be easier for both of you, breaking it off now or allowing him to think you’ve died in a few years. Either way, it isn’t an easy choice to make.”

--------------------------
Jess smiled as she set out a plate of cookies for Sam. She’d been thinking a lot about Adam’s advice and had made her choice, she was going to tell Sam the truth. He deserved to know what he was getting into and she felt in her heart that he would be able to accept it. Humming softly to herself she headed into the bedroom and then froze for a second before she relaxed into a fighting stance.

“Who are you?” She demanded only to be answered by a cold chuckle. Eyes darting to the bed where he sword was hidden she tensed slightly as the man turned around. She backed off a step as she saw his eyes, they were yellow and she didn’t mean the warm golden colour her teacher’s often appeared to be.

“Sammy really does have good taste.” He commented and Jesse felt a flash of fear for Sam. She lunged for the bed and her sword only to find herself slamming into the wall. She gasped as she felt her body begin to move up the wall. She tried to scream, to move, but her body wasn’t responding to her commands. She glared at the man and he laughed.
“You’ll make a nice little present for him, just like Mommy was. Don’t worry, it won’t hurt, much.” He taunted and Jess continued to try to struggle. She even tried channelling her Quickening into helping her but she’d never been able to manipulate the energy like Adam could. She couldn’t pull Cassandra’s tricks either not that they’d be very helpful at the moment.

Jessica wanted to scream as she felt a ripping pain across her abdomen and then the warmth of blood as it spread across her skin. But her vocal cords were as frozen as the rest of her. But what really scared her was the fact that her healing wasn’t kicking in.

“Better go, Sammy’s home.” With that the yellow-eyed man vanished. Jess felt the tears gathering as she heard the front door open and Sam calling for her. She renewed her struggles as the shower turned itself on but she still couldn’t move. Tears began to fall as Sam lay on the bed beneath her, unaware of her plight until two small drops of blood dripped onto him.

“No!” Sam screamed in horror, pushing himself back against the headboard and Jess just wanted to reach out and comfort him, to tell him it was alright, that she’d be okay. She felt the heat of flames spread against her back even as Dean came crashing into the room and she smiled inside, Dean would save Sam.

“Sam!” Dean yelled but her boyfriend ignored him, eyes locked with hers.

“No! No!” Sam screamed again even as Dean grabbed him. She could feel the blackness of death creeping up and she embraced it. Before it fully claimed her she focused everything she had on one last thought, hoping Sam would hear it.

‘I love you.’ And with that her world went black.

-----------------------------------
It was nearly two in the morning when a man approached the new grave, armed only with a shovel and a bag. He touched the gravestone for a moment before putting the bag down and beginning to dig. Half way down he smiled as he heard the sound of someone hitting a coffin lid.

“Hang on Jessica, I’m coming.” He called and the banging stopped. When he tore open the coffin he pulled the gasping woman from it and then wrapped her in one of the blankets he’d brought for that purpose.
“Jess, you alright?” She answered with a nod and he went to work refilling the grave. By the time he was done she was up and moving around.
“Grabbed this from what’s left of the apartment.” He tossed her a familiar carry case and she smiled as she opened it.

“Thanks Old Man.” She pulled out the familiar blade and checked it for damage, thankful that it had been a secondary blade under the bed since there was no way it had survived the blaze. She looked up at him in concern.
“Sam?”

“He got out okay, just a bit of smoke inhalation. He and his brother left town today. We need to go too; I’ve got a room for the night a few hours’ drive north.” He wrapped an arm around her and Jess leaned into the offered comfort.

“I was going to tell him that night.” She whispered and Adam pulled her closer.

TBC...
What do you think? Continue or not?