Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Jim froze as he felt a hand around his throat, only to relax as it was released and the bedside lamp came on to reveal a wide eyed Harry.

“Next time you want to wake me after I’ve been in a fight please call out or even throw something at me from a safe distance.” Harry asked him shakily and Jim nodded.
“What’s wrong?” Harry sat up fully in the bed and moved to get up.

“I got a call from the hospital; she’s awake and asking to see us. They...they don’t think she’ll last till morning.” Jim explained and Harry nodded, slipping out of bed and grabbing some clothes.

“I’ll be ready in five.” Jim nodded and left him to dress, going downstairs to make tea. When Harry came downstairs he accepted the travel mug with a smile and sipped at the hot liquid.
“Um...I can get us there a lot faster than your car, if you want.” Harry offered hesitantly and Jim turned to face him, keys in hand.

“How?”

“Guess the easiest way to explain would be to say teleportation. It doesn’t hurt, feels a little like being squished through a straw actually.” Harry shifted uncomfortably and Jim nodded.

“Alright. Just don’t appear in front of anyone.” Jim told him with a smile and Harry relaxed. Jim had realised this was Harry’s way of saying he trusted Jim with his secret and wanted him to know about what he could do. If he said no too many times he knew Harry would clam up, maybe even stop calling Jim’s place home and Jim didn’t want that.

“Hold onto my arm and don’t let go.” Harry warned and Jim grabbed his arm. With a small pop they vanished. Jim closed his eyes and then staggered as the ground reappeared under his feet.
“Are you okay?”

“I’m fine Harry.” Jim looked around and smiled.
“Good landing spot.” And it was, the alley was right across from the hospital and hidden in shadows.

-------------------------------
Harry stared down at the young woman in the bed. Meg Masters, knowing her name made him feel guilty about the fight. Would she be doing better if he hadn’t fought her?

“It’s not your fault Harry.” He nearly jumped at the sound of Pastor Jim’s voice but turned to look at the older man.
“Most of her injuries are weeks old. The only injuries you gave her are a few bruises. And it appears your building comment was right, doctor said many of the wounds are consistent with falling from one.”

“Poor girl.” Harry whispered and Jim put a hand on his shoulder.

“Can you do anything?” Jim asked and Harry shook his head.

“I’m a field medic at best. I was trained to fight not heal. I can do enough to keep someone alive until they reach competent medical help but that’s it. Her...Hermione was the healer out of us.” Harry told him and Jim nodded.
“If she’s still in pain I could numb that but at this point that’s all unless you want a mercy killing.”

“Not in that much pain.” They both jumped as she croaked that out.

“The doctors said you wanted to speak with us.” Jim said, moving closer to take her hand.

“Sorry.”

“You have nothing to be sorry for Meg.” Harry told her, coming up to her other side.

“Remember things...want Winchesters...kill friends get gun.” She grimaced in pain and Harry placed a hand on her chest. Jim watched as the pain lines faded from her face and she managed to open her eyes.
“Handy.” Harry smiled sadly.

“Not handy enough.”

“Not your fault.” She coughed and Jim gave her some ice chips.

“Do you know who they’ll go after next?” Jim asked, needing to know who to warn.

“Meant kill you then...Caleb. Want gun...from John.” She coughed and blood flecked her lips. Harry gently ran his fingers through her hair with one hand and the other rested against her ribs, easing the pain and buying her time.
“Year....couldn’t move...scream....thank....” Harry stepped away as the heart monitor let out a continuous tone. He watched as Jim prayed over her and then laid his own protections over the body before they left the room.

---------------------------------
“John’s not answering his phone.” Jim commented as he came into the kitchen where Harry was making breakfast.

“Did you get on to that Caleb guy?” Jim shook his head and Harry groaned in frustration.
“Do you know where either of them is meant to be?”

“I know where Caleb should be, good luck finding John unless he wants you to.”

“So we warn Caleb in person.” Harry shrugged and turned back the eggs he was scrambling.

“We?”

“Method of instantaneous travel? I’m not letting you go alone.” And as far as Harry was concerned that was that.

“I’ll try him again after breakfast, if I can’t reach him we’ll go. But Harry, be very careful using your abilities around hunters. Most won’t see you doing good, they’ll just see a human with magic and assume demonic deal.” Harry nodded as he served the meal.

Harry followed Jim back to the room where he’d faced the demon possessed Meg and watched as he packed away a few weapons and other odds and ends into a duffle bag.

“Can you use a gun?” Jim asked and Harry shrugged.

“It’s mainly eye hand coordination, isn’t it?”

“Not entirely...not like these have real bullets in them anyway.” Jim muttered and handed Harry a gun, showing him where the safety was and how to use it.
“It’s loaded with rock salt, won’t stop a demon but it will slow it down. Just don’t shoot me.

--------------------------
Harry crouched beneath the covered window of the warehouse his tracking spell had led them to. He could feel Jim at the door around the corner. He would follow Jim’s advice on hiding his magic but that didn’t mean he couldn’t use it passively. He waited and then leapt up and forward as Jim shot the door in, flinging himself through the window and then rolling to his knees, gun aimed towards the two men in the middle of the warehouse. He shifted his aim when he saw one was tied to a chair. The standing man dropped the phone he’d been holding and moved his knife closer to Caleb’s throat. Sending up a silent plea Harry pulled the trigger, hearing Jim do the same. The knife flew through the air to be lost in the shadows.

Harry dodged as he felt a wave of power head towards him, fighting the urge to put a shield around himself, Jim and Caleb. Grabbing the flask in his pocket he hurled its contents at the man who screamed and started smoking his eyes now black. Harry ignored the sound of Jim chanting, focusing instead on keeping the demon occupied until the Pastor could exorcise it.

Caleb stared in shock as Jim and a dark haired boy attacked the demon holding him, more relieved than he’d admit that they’d showed up. He got a good look at the kid and revised his estimate of his age. He may be small and rather petite but his eyes gave away his age, somewhere around the Winchester boy’s by his guess. He relaxed as the demon left its host in a cloud of black smoke and Jim and the young man came closer.

“That’s gross.” The stranger commented and Jim laughed.

“And you’d prefer what?”

“I don’t know, just less weird.” Was the answer as he knelt beside the collapsed host. A sad sigh was sign enough that he was already dead.

“You alright Caleb?” Jim asked as he cut his bonds.

“Fine. Who’s your friend?” Caleb stood slowly to get the blood flowing again.

“Caleb this is Harry, Harry this is Caleb.”

“Pleasure to meet you.” Harry greeted, standing from where he’d been checking over the demon’s host for signs of life.

“Likewise.” Caleb answered, frowning over the odd accent.

“British by birth.” Harry told him, seeing the frown and Caleb nodded, picking up the dropped phone.

“John? I’m okay. Pastor Jim and friend saved me.” Caleb told the other hunter. They spoke briefly before Caleb slammed the phone shut.

“Caleb?”

“Damn fool won’t allow help. They’re going after the thing that killed Mary.” Caleb growled out and Jim shook his head.

“Okay I’m new to this but I’ve always found backup a good thing in a fight.” Harry pointed out and Jim nodded.

“John Winchester is one of the most stubborn men I’ve ever known, though I’d say you could give him a run for his money.” Jim smiled at Harry who gave him his most innocent look making Caleb laugh.

“So we’re going after them then?” Harry asked and both hunters nodded.
“Great! Where?”

“Salvation, Iowa.” Caleb answered and Harry let out a whoop of excitement earning him an odd look.

“Never been anywhere other than Minnesota and Britain.” He shrugged and followed a rather amused priest from the building, leaving Caleb to catch up.

TBC....