Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup
[Reviews - 1]
Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +


Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: Buffy and associated characters are property of Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, etc. Young Wizards characters, etc are the property of Diane Duane, and Harcourt Publishing
Rating: G/PG, Slash implied but not seen
Pairings: Tom/Carl, Xander/?? (to be determined in the far off future when he's of age)

Staring at the newborn baby, from behind the window of the hospital nursery, Carl gently wiped a tear away. "Be well, Alexander. May the One watch over and protect you, even though I can't."

Turning away, before he could break the promise that he'd sworn, he walked away steeling himself for what would have to be done yet.

This innocent child, would live, and grow up on the Hellmouth. An innocent, who held great potential with in himself, who would be raised by two people who should never have been allowed to have a child.

Pausing as he walked out of the hospital, he shifted slightly as he caught a glimpse of something out of place. Swearing softly, as he realized what it was that he saw, he picked up his pace to follow his elusive compatriot.

Reaching a park that was placed near the hospital he stopped in his tracks, as the being he was tracking stopped and turned to regard him in return.

"So you aren't quite as slow as I would have guessed given, that you weren't paying attention initially wizard."

"My thanks, I think," Carl said slowly. "Do the usual rules apply, since technically I have found you?"

"I'll let the usual rules stand for this time in part. Share with me, three unique truths and I shall give you one in return. But in this case, the truth I share, will be the one you need, rather than what you think you need."

Considering the Transcendent Pig's words with care, Carl at last nodded. "Very well then. I trust no one can overhear or spy upon us, or should I put up a shield to conceal us?"

"None save the Powers will witness this conversation. Since they are behind the events leading up to it..." the pig offered trailing off suggestively.

"All right then. My first truth is this, I have betrayed my lover and broken my vows to him, as I was commanded to do. My second truth is this, I have abandoned the child that was born to be raised by his mother, as I was told must happen," Carl said, his voice filled with pain at both these admissions. "For my third and final truth I offer this. I may never forgive myself for betraying my heart or my vows, nor for leaving my innocent son to be raised in this place. For all the pain he shall suffer, I can never ask him his forgiveness."

"Very well Wizard, you have spoken three unique and original truths. I shall offer you this one in turn," the Transcendent Pig said softly, his eyes a mirror of Carl's both showing pain and sorrow.

"Your child shall come into his power and be far greater than you and your partner. He shall suffer pain and know sorrow beyond measure, but it shall lead to his chance to save or damn this world. With a single act he shall choose this worlds fate."

"That's why the Powers commanded this, isn't it? To put such a weight upon an innocent childs shoulders..." Carl said softly, weeping as the weight of the truth swept over him.

"What must be, must be Wizard. For now, seek out your mate and find solace with him. Time may heal your heart and his."

The End
Chapter End Notes:
One of the entries from the Fic a Day Contest. I'm slowly expanding the series <g>