Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Family

By danu40k

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

&&&&&

 

Xander was bored. And a bored Xander was not a fun Xander. He so wanted to prank the guy. He had approached him in the hopes of understanding why his department still considered Centaurs animals. What he got was a dissertation on beings being in their place.

Xander looked around the ballroom. He remembered Willow saying something about one of the kings of France, the one who was beheaded, having a court where everyone dressed up like peacocks. Colors everywhere no matter how bad the colors were.

Seems he was right about the wizarding world being stuck in the seventeen hundreds, because virtually everyone here was in colors that even *he* would not have worn back when he was wearing Hawaiian shirts.

They were wearing every color in the rainbow, and even then they were making up colors.

Speaking of colors, where was Dumbledore? He had heard several conversations asking the same questions.

He had a deep foreboding about Dumbles and wherever he was.

&&&&&

 

Xander finally got away from the bore when he spotted Harry trying to get away from that Skeeter woman.

He headed over. “How many times do I need to tell you that I have to be present when you interview him? One more attempt like this and I WILL have you fired. Understand?” He stated strongly.

She nodded her head and headed for another likely source of gossip.

Xander looked at Harry, “Where are the others?”

“Sirius is chatting that woman up.” Harry said, pointing to where Sirius was. He was deep in conversation with a very nice looking woman. That is until she slapped him and walked away.

Sirius wandered back to them. “All I wanted to know is what her sign was.” He whined.

Xander snickered. That pick up line was older than dirt, obviously even to her.

Xander looked back at Harry. “Where are the Weasleys?” He asked.

“Percy is over there talking to the new Minister with Mr. Weasley.”

“Ron and Neville are over by the food.” Harry finished

At this, Xander laughed. Where else would you find them?

“We finished talking to everyone?” He asked hopefully.

“I’m done.” Sirius said while rubbing his cheek. “I want to make sure Remus is ok.” He finished.

Remus was having a post full moon day and was not feeling good at all.

“Harry? I don’t think you or I would be to sad to head out since neither one of us wanted to come.” Xander said to Harry.

Harry nodded his head smiling.

“I’ll go tell Arthur that you are getting a headache and so we are heading out. I should try and rescue Ron as well. Unfortunately Neville is stuck here until his Grandmother says otherwise.” Xander told them. “Harry, why don’t you and Sirius head over to Ron, while I head over to Arthur.” Xander pointed out where he could see Ron, who was starting to look antsy.

Harry nodded and they were off.

On the way over to Mr. Weasley, Xander ran into Mr. Montgomery. “Earl.” He held his hand out to shake.

“Xander. Good to see you. Having no fun I see.” Earl said with a grin.

Earl Montgomery was a man small of stature but not of personality. He was five foot two and weighed one twenty soaking wet in his clothes. He had bright green eyes and blond hair which showed signs of turning grey.

Xander had no idea just how old he was, but in mundane terms he guessed Earl was around fifty or so.

Xander had hired him at the Woodard’s request. Mr. Woodard had worked with the man in the field as an ambassador to Egypt, where Earl worked in “security“.

With this in mind, Xander had him teach the kids more than just etiquette and social graces, but other things as well.

“You know me.” Xander replied as he shook Earl’s hand.

Earl laughed. “Heading out are you?”

“Definitely. Just headed over to Arthur to tell him we are out of here.” Xander replied.

“Good. I watched you. You and Harry both did well. Talked to the people I told you to and ignored those I warned you about. All except the Centaur Relations guy.” Earl said with a smile.

“Yeah, yeah, I learned my lesson. No chatting up the boring people.” Xander hung his head shaking it. He lifted up his head with a smile on his face. “I really should head out before Harry lynches me.” He said. They shook hands again, and Xander went over to Arthur.

“Excuse me Minister, Percy. Arthur we are heading out. Harry is getting a headache and Ron is about ready to climb the walls.” The all laughed.

“Good. I could see you weren’t comfortable. Especially with Ted.” The Minister smiled at Xander.

“Ted?” Asked Arthur.

“The Head of Centaur Relations.” The Minister told them.

“Did everyone see that?” Xander whined, his fingers rubbing the bridge of his nose.

“Only those who know Ted.” The Minister answered.

“Ah, you do know he needs to be replaced right? I mean if we are to have any relations with the Centaurs we need to reclassify them first as actual sentient beings.” Xander looked over at Ted again while the Minister nodded.

“We are looking into it.” The Minister told Xander.

“Good,” Xander shook the man's hand. “Thank you for the invitation.” he nodded before heading back to Harry and the others.

&&&&&

Once they were out of sight, Xander held out the rope. Everyone grabbed an area and they were off.

They landed in the library with Xander pulling off his tie. The others seeing this did the same.

“Merlin that was boring.” Exclaimed Ron. Harry and the others nodded.

“How about we get out of these outfits and have some cocoa and cookies.” Xander looked at each of them.

“Race you!” Harry cried out as he ran up to his room.

&&&&&

As was usual, Xander was up at midnight on Solstice. He would stay up until the following midnight.

This was his thinking time. His reflection time.

He quietly took down his ax and began to check then sharpen the blade. After this he would polish it up and begin on his swords.

He thought back to his time in the woods. That awful, wonderful time.

He had regrown under the tutelage of Ambrosias Emrys. His knowledge of his magic grew as well. While he could not use a wand, he could, and did, use a staff. Not that he was going to go around advertising it. He rarely took the staff with him unless he was feeling threatened. He did, however, get the feeling that he would need it soon. By New Years probably, if not before.

After his apprenticeship was over, he had headed out to make his own path. A path that had led him here.

He never again felt the need to go to Lavondyss. Something he was grateful for. He didn’t know if his sanity could handle a trip there again.

He knew that Harry had to have gone into Lavondyss. Harry’s own nightmares proved that. But at the same time Xander knew that Harry was telling the truth. He really didn’t remember much of the woods.

His conscious mind might not know but his unconscious mind did. Hence the nightmares.

Xander and the others were doing all they could to help, but sooner or later Harry would remember, and they would be there to pick up the pieces.

Samhain seemed to help lay a few ghosts to rest. Xander had helped Harry harness a bit of his power to open a small portal and bring in his parents for a brief visit. When they forgave Sirius that seemed to help him as well.

After Harry’s parents went back to their rest, Sirius and Remus spent the time telling him about his family, which added to the comfort he had received.

Xander smiled at the memory of Hermione going over everything she could think of so that she could understand that Thanksgiving was a time for family. A time to give thanks for the food you ate, your families health, your family being all together. Basically the good time everyone has getting together and enjoying being together.

It was not something he had growing up. His parents only thought of the four days they could stay drunk and stoned. When Xander had moved out, he had made spending the time with his made family a priority. Embracing everything he had been allowed to have. Especially given their night work. You never knew just when your family would be taken from you so you held on with all your might to the time you had.

He missed his family, but he was building a new family. Not one to replace what he had lost, but one to hold on just as hard.

He looked at his watch. It was time for his prayers and meditations. He had all the more reason to give thanks and pray that his loved ones, old and new, were all right.

&&&&&

After he had gotten everyone up, they all headed down for breakfast of waffles, eggs, and bacon.

Xander had made sure that Hedwig was there as well since this was a time for family and she was family.

Xander watched in amusement as Hedwig stole bacon from Harry’s plate.

 

After the meal was over, Xander led them into the library where he had set up a live Christmas tree. He had gotten it from a nursery and planned to plant it after the holidays.

Xander had everyone sit down while he went to gather the other guests he had coming over.

Xander met up with Nod, who would be the Elf for the Grangers while they were there.

Xander had made sure that the Grangers were hooked up to the floo after Samhain. This way they could get information about and for their daughter. Every time Xander got a letter from Harry he would floo them and read all but the personal things to them so that they could get an idea what Hermione was doing. Her own letters, according to them, were snatches of historical accounts and not much on what is actually going on in her life.

It didn’t take long for Hermione and her parents to arrive. It seemed that she got her punctuality from her parents.

First through was Noël, Hermione’s mother. Daniel, Hermione’s father, came next. He had fly away hair that would put Harry’s old hair to shame. His hair was a dark brown color to match his eyes, while her mother’s was a blond with blue eyes. Hermione had gotten the best of both parents. Her hair was a light brown, and while normally bushy, she had taken the time to tame it down. Her eyes were brown though a lighter shade than her fathers black/brown eyes.

Xander escorted the family to the library, while pointing out several things to them. Hermione added in her own stories of things she had seen as well.

While he had been gone, the Weasley’s had shown up via portkey and were waiting on them.

Xander spread his arms out to encompass all of them. “Happy Solstice!!” He exclaimed. Everyone laughed and wished him a Happy Solstice as well.

“Now onto pressies.” Xander was bouncing on his toes at this. He virtually skipped to the tree.

&&&&&

Xander sat near the fire with Harry and the others. They were each wearing the sweaters, or jumpers as the Brits called them, that Mrs. Weasley had made and were drinking hot chocolate. Xander’s was blue with a gold X in the middle. He had joked that now he could really call himself an X-Man.

It had taken an hour and a showing of the comics to explain just what he had meant.

Harry was snuggled into his new bomber jacket. A new earring in his ear. Sirius and Remus were in matching jackets.

They were discussing the castle and what needed to be done with it. They hadn’t had a chance to talk about it since the whole woods fiasco.

When Xander had come out of the woods he had been shocked to find that only a day had passed since he had gone in.

He understood the woods a bit now.

It had been set up a long time ago as a way to train the heir for the protection rites he or she would need to fulfill their duties.

The spells going back to before the founder of their line.

He knew that Ambrosias was a key to the training. In the real world he had been one of the ones to set up the spells on the woods.

Xander had an idea that Harry spent some time with him as well. His control over his own power was proof of that. While it had taken time to learn how to focus his wand abilities, he was no longer leaking power into the area around him. And his aura was suppressed so that no one could outwardly tell he was so powerful.

His ability to quickly learn to use his new wand was also a telling point.

“Xander?” Harry tugged on his sweater.

“Hmmm? Oh sorry, was thinking.” He replied.

“We were talking about the castle.” Sirius told him.

“Ah. From the reports from the Goblins, it will take at least five years to fix even with magic. They are trying to decide if it wouldn’t be better to tear the thing down and start over using the surviving stones.” Xander told them. “Either way, Harry is going to be needed. He needs to lay the new wards and power up the hearth stone to hold the new wards.” Xander told them as he got up to get the proposal.

He brought it back to the others, showing each one to them so that they, or specifically Harry, the choices they had.

It was finally decided to tear the thing down and start over, that way they didn’t have to worry about any of the areas coming down on them because of a sudden weakness.

Xander wrote a note to himself to call the Goblins in the morning and make an appointment so that they could talk over some of the ideas the group had come up with and to go over plans for the rebuild.

&&&&&

The day after Christmas was bright and cheery, each member of the family had come down in a happy mood.

Until they read the paper.

Dumbledore was found dead at what was left of the concentration camp Auswitz.

The Aurors who had found him discovered that the ghosts of Auswitz were gone and that the power stamp on the place had shown the makings of new Dementors.

Play time was over.

&&&&&

End Chapter Thirteen