Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Bobby stumbled into his kitchen to find the coffee already on. He blinked and then he saw the young man sitting at the table, Sam cradled in his arms as e fed the baby a bottle.

"Morning." Harry greeted him and Bobby grunted, heading for the coffee pot and not noticing the amused grin on his guests face. He drank a mug of coffee and then turned back to Harry and Sam.

"Morning." Bobby finally answered once the caffeine hit.
"Been up long?"

"Sam got hungry about five; I'm an early riser anyways. I was just about to start breakfast, got any preferences?"

"You don't need to cook."

"I like cooking; besides you're letting us stay here for free till we find a place." Harry told him, handing a sleepy Sam over. Bobby sat down and held the baby close, only wincing slightly when Sam tangled a hand in his beard. Harry and Bobby shared a grin when Dean stumbled in still half asleep but following his nose to the smell of bacon.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean held Sam as they walked through the house. He'd never pictured himself living in this sort of place but if he had to settle down Sioux Falls was a nice enough place to do it. This was the fourth place they'd looked at and it seemed like this might be the one. Harry had apparently fallen in love with the massive kitchen complete with walk in pantry, a whole lot of appliances that Dean had no clue about, a granite island and enough room to fit everyone Dean knew in it. The house had two levels but didn't look overly large from the outside since the land sloped. The place was on nearly one and a half acres so they'd have privacy and the views were great. The master bedroom was a bit over the top as far as Dean was concerned though the hot tub out on the back privacy deck was a very nice touch. There were some good schools in the area for when Sammy was older too. Dean looked at Harry who grinned and went to talk to the agent.

"Guess this is home Sammy." Dean whispered and Sam squealed in joy before going back to staring at the view.

"We should have the keys in a week. Want the master suite or one of the other rooms? I figure Sam can go in with us till he's older and can then pick a room. We can use the spare for an office slash library." Harry said, coming to stand at the window with them.

"Sounds good to me. I don't need that big a room so you can take it. Put a crib in both?"

"Of course, that way he can have fussy nights where he insists on one or the other of us." Harry answered and Dean nodded.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey Cas." Dean said as the angel appeared in Dean's new bedroom.

"Dean. It is good to see you have found a place."

"Yeah, I think Harry's in love with the kitchen." Dean answered with a grin.

"Sam's gonna alternate between our rooms for now and then pick his own when he's older. Do we need to worry about anything coming for him since he's a baby?"

"No. Harry has already begun warding the property and if you would like I can help with that."

"That'd be great, thanks. Feel free to drop by anytime, unless we're asleep or something." Dean told the angel who nodded and vanished. He finished unpacking his bag and then stood and stretched, looking around his room. Harry had payed for the furniture but had let Dena pick it out which was nice and he was insisting that he'd eventually pay Harry back for it. It'd be nice to sleep in a nice bed for a change. He headed for Harry's room and knocked before going inside; smiling at the sight of Sam sprawled on the big bed with a toy hovering over him to keep him amused while Harry unpacked. Harry looked up and smiled at him.

"Finished?" harry asked and Dean nodded.

"Cas dropped in, offered to add some angelic wards for extra safety. I'm going to start looking for work next week, that okay with you?"

"Sure. I can keep an eye on Sam easily enough. Got any idea what you're going to look for?"

"Probably at a garage." Dean answered and Harry nodded. Dean sat on the bed and picked Sam up, making the baby giggle and pat Dean's cheeks.

"Heya Sammy. Having fun?" Dean asked and Sam just squealed at him.

"Want him tonight?" Harry asked and Dean nodded.

"Thanks."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean stared down at the peacefully sleeping baby. He swallowed heavily as he stared at the baby, taking in the subtle changes in his appearance from the few pictures he still had of Sam as a baby the first time round. His hair was messier, obviously taking more after Harry's side. And his eyes while still hazel were now shaped a bit differently. With Harry being shorter than him maybe Sam wouldn't be so tall this time either. Dean walked away from the crib and sat on the edge of his bed, his head in his hands.

He was all alone now. Sure it seemed that the baby still knew him in some way but he was still a baby and not his brother. Being the last Winchester hunter sucked. He wanted his Dad and Sam back. This was why he'd made the deal in the first place. But this time it was Castiel that had made a deal in a way, or at least a wish. He should have stayed with Sam during the battle, it was his fault Sam had died and been brought back as a baby. Just like it was his fault Sam had died the first time, if he hadn't distracted him Sam would have heard Jake coming. It was his fault his family was pretty much gone. His Dad was dead because of him too. But at least his Dad hadn't broken in hell, not like him. And they demons had had John's soul a lot longer than Dean had been there. How many souls had he tortured in hell? How many people were close to breaking and turning because of him?

Dean muffled a sob with his hands, searching for the bottle he always kept in his bag but it wasn't there. Another sob broke free and he turned to muffle them in a pillow. A soft whimper made Dean sit up and slowly walk towards the crib. Sam was awake and reached up to him as soon as he saw Dean. Tears were gathered in Sam's eyes as the kid whimpered and Dean slowly reached down to pick him up. Sam instantly latched onto Dean's amulet and stared up at Dean with wide, tear-filled eyes.

"Hey kiddo, you're meant to be asleep." Dean choked and Sam let out a little cry, burrowing into Dean's shirt.
"Hey, shh Sammy, it's okay." Dean tried to sooth the now crying baby. He did a quick check but Sam was still dry and he'd only been fed an hour ago.
"I don't know what's wrong Sam." Dean whispered and one of Sam's tiny hands came up to brush against the tears that still wet Dean's cheeks.
"Oh Sam, I'm okay." Dean whispered, cradling Sam close. He sat down on the bed and then lay down with Sam on his chest. Maybe...maybe Sam did more than just know him somehow, after all Sam had always been in tune with Dean's moods.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Nice place." Bobby commented as Dean let him.

"Thanks. Sam's down for a nap and Harry's in the kitchen. How's the yard?"

"Good. Got a car in to fix up. Also got a hunt up in New Jersey I'll be heading out to deal with." Bobby told him as Dean led him on a tour of the house.

"Need backup?" Dean asked and Bobby shook his head.

"Simple salt and burn." Bobby told him as they finally made it to the kitchen.
"Harry." He greeted the young man at the oven.

"Hey Bobby. You like the house?"

"It's great. You're settling in alright?"

"Yeah. You like lamb?"

"Sure." Bobby answered and they settled in to watch Harry cook.

TBC...