Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Harry settled little Sam down into the conjured crib, smoothing his hand over the soft baby curls. He was still in shock over the suddenly appearing son but he knew the work of a vengeance demon when he felt it and if Halfrek felt he would make a good father for Sam then so be it. It was kind of weird to suddenly find himself with a son and yet have had no part in creating him, though he was curious as to whom the other parent was. Odds were he’d never find out.

Putting a monitoring charm on Sam he slipped out of the bedroom and into the kitchen to make his own dinner. Dobby had died years ago and he hadn’t had the heart to get a new House Elf to replace him, not that he needed one for his apartment. There was little in the place that would point to him being one of the most powerful wizards on the planet and he preferred it that way. Magic had once been his escape but like everything else the war had tainted that. He lived a mostly muggle life now and he liked it that way, there was so much about the wizarding world that had annoyed him and their desire to live in the past had been a big one. But now he had a son to care for so he would be heading for the local Gringotts in the morning to update his accounts and will.

The monitoring charm and a quiet whimper had him heading back to the bedroom to see Sam awake and fussing. He went over to the crib and stared down at the baby, honestly if it hadn’t been for Halfrek’s note he wouldn’t believe the baby was his. The again James had had hazel eyes so he could get them from Harry’s side but not the soft brown curls. Potter’s usually had dark brown, sometimes black, untameable hair and Lily’s side ran to redheads.

“Hey kiddo, what’s wrong?” He asked quietly and tear-filled hazel eyes looked up at him.
“Come here Sam.” He gently lifted the baby and cradled him to his chest.
“It’s okay, Daddy’s got you.” Harry soothed, rocking the baby gently and then smiling as a tiny fist came up to grab at his shirt. Harry smiled down at the baby, he’d let go of his dream for a family after Ginny had betrayed him, he’d started thinking he was never meant to be happy like that. Twenty nine wasn’t old for a wizard, or even a muggle really, but after everything that had happened Harry lived a pretty secluded life, not willing to let anyone else in. But he couldn’t help it with Sam; he was so tiny and helpless that he needed Harry, not to be the saviour but to be his Dad.

---------------------------
Driving around New York with Castiel in the passenger seat felt not just weird but wrong. That was Sam’s seat, no one else’s. And yet Sam may never sit in it again. He was desperate to find Sam, to see what the wish had done to him but part of him was afraid to find out. What if he didn’t even recognise his baby brother anymore? No, he refused to think like that. He’d sold his soul for Sam; he would always know the kid, no matter how he’d changed.

“He is within this city.” Castiel stated quietly and Dean nodded.

“Is there any way you can find him now we’re here?”
Dean asked and Castiel thought about it.

“I will try.”

“Thanks.” Dean answered, tightening his grip on the wheel.

---------------------------
“You like that Sam, hey?” Harry laughed as the baby splashed at the warm water and bubbles. Finding the small magical tattoo on Sam’s shoulder when he’d stripped him for the bath had been a shock but it defiantly proved Sam was a Potter. Though seeing it on a baby? His own hadn’t shown up until he was sixteen. It would make things go a lot smoother at the bank later though. He lifted Sam from the water, earning a squeal of protest, but he quickly wrapped Sam in a towel and laid him down on the counter to dry him off and put a clean diaper on. Little feet kicked out at the air and Harry smiled as he tickled his son, getting baby noises of happiness in return.

“All dry and ready to get dressed. Hopefully Halfrek sent some clean clothes with you kiddo or else we’ll have to improvise. Daddy needs to go apartment shopping too, this place is too small for us. Or would you like a house huh? Nice yard, we could get you a puppy and you can go to a nice school.” Harry talked as he searched the bag, grinning as he found the small trousers and shirt. He slipped them on Sam and then picked up the stomach carrier, fiddling with it until it was securely on him before placing Sam in it. By the time he had his shoes on the taxi he’d called had arrived. Normally he’d apparated to the bank but he knew that wasn’t good for babies.

-----------------------------
“Dean there.” Castiel pointed at the park and Dean slammed on the breaks. He searched for a place to park and then jammed some random coins in the meter.

“Where?”He asked as he scrambled from the car, Castiel following slowly.

“Inside the park, I can feel Sam’s soul and...” Castiel tilted his head in confusion before smiling.
“I do not know why I did not consider the possibility earlier.”

“What? Cas what are you talking about?” Dean went to go into the park but the angel stopped him.

“I recognise the presence he is with. Your brother is safe with him, perhaps safer than with anyone else.” Castiel informed him.

“And this person is?” Dean pushed but Castiel just smiled and walked into the park. Dean looked around, trying to spot Sam and then he froze. Sitting at a bench was a young man with dark brown hair and in his arms was a baby. Dean swallowed, staring at the small bundle and he knew. He looked at Castiel who nodded. Taking a deep breath Dean began to slowly walk towards the bench. As he got nearer the man looked up and Dean was pinned by the most intense green eyes he’d ever seen. The man tensed slightly as they approach until his gaze went to Castiel and green eyes widened in shock for a second. In his arms the baby gurgled happily and Dean smiled.

“Greetings Harry Potter.” Castiel stated, getting a nod in return.

“Angel...and human? Can I help you with something?” The man, Harry answered, holding the baby close.

“Sammy.” Dean whispered longingly and the baby squealed, reaching out for him. Harry looked down at Sam and then up at Dean. He stood up and slowly extended the baby to Dean who nearly choked as he took Sam, cradling him close. Sam reached up and grasped his amulet, making Dean smile.
“Hey Sammy, you know me, don’t you?” It was incredible but somehow on some level Sam seemed to know him.

“So can I have an explanation please?” Harry asked and Castiel nodded.

“It would be better to do this indoors.” The angel nodded and Harry stood.

“Got transport?” He asked and Dean nodded absently, still focused on Sam. Castiel touched his shoulder and Dean forced himself to start walking back to the Impala. When he got there he froze, he didn’t want to let go of Sam but he couldn’t hold him while he drove.
“Here.” Harry reached out and Dean froze, making Harry roll his eyes.
“I have the carrier and I’ve been taking care of him for the last two days. Besides we’re all going in the same car.” Harry told him and Dean reluctantly handed Sam over. They drove in silence except for Harry giving directions. Dean parked in the carport and Harry led them into the building and both Dean and Castiel shivered as they crossed the threshold.
“Sorry, I have pretty heavy wards.” Harry said as he headed up the stairs. He led them to the top floor where there was a single door. He unlocked it and let them in.

Harry undid the carrier and put Sam down in the crib he had put in the living room. He quickly fixed a bottle and then handed it to Dean, pushing him down onto the couch and then handing Sam to him.

“What?” Dean stared from Sam to Harry.

“It’s time for his feed and since he likes you, you can feed him.” Harry answered, showing Dean how to hold Sam while feeding him. Dean slowly relaxed as Sam happily sucked away on the bottle. It’d been years since Dean had fed a baby but it all came back to him pretty quickly.
“So...got a name?” Dean blinked and then grinned sheepishly.

“Dean Winchester. This is....was....is my little brother Sam.”

“Bit of an age gap.” Harry commented and then looked at Cas.

“I am Castiel.” Was the answer.

“Well I know Halfrek sent Sam to me and so now I have a son who is somehow your brother. What happened for her to step in?”

“Wait...you know about....”

“Angels? Demons? Yeah.”

“He is Harry Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived, Saviour of.”

“Enough please Castiel. That was a long time ago. I’m a wizard Dean and so is Sam, he has the family mark.” Harry raised little Sam’s sleave to show the tattoo.

“Samuel was fatally injured in the last battle against Lucifer. There was no way to heal him and then Halfrek showed up. I wished for him to live.” Castiel explained and Harry fell back onto his chair.

“Lucifer? As in the devil? He was out?”

“Yes. Dean killed him and averted the apocalypse.” Castiel added and Harry closed his eyes.

“Glad you did it. So Halfrek granted your wish and sent Sam to me. Was there a twenty something year age gap between you before or?”

“Sammy’s meant to be twenty six.” Dean answered softly and Harry nodded.

“Well it’s obvious he still knows you on some level.” He offered and Dean smiled slightly.

“You said he’s your son? But how?” Dean asked, pulling Sam closer.

“Halfrek, side effect of the wish. To change his life he’d need at least one different parent.”

“So he’s not my brother anymore?” Dean asked and Harry shrugged.

“Half-brother? I can check it if you want.” Harry offered and Dean nodded slowly. Harry left the room and then eventually came back with a vial.
“Need a drop of Sam’s blood.”

“What? No.” Dean curled around the baby protectively.

“I won’t hurt him Dean, he won’t feel it.” Harry soothed, crouching in front of him.
“Only way to know Sam’s full parentage for sure.” He offered and Dean looked at Castiel who nodded. He slowly let Harry closer to the bay and Harry took a drop of blood without Sam even fussing. He put the blood in the vial and they all watched it change colours. Once it stopped Harry poured it onto a piece of paper and then waited.

“Samuel Remus Winchester-Potter?” Dean read in shock and then all their eyes widened as his parents names appeared.
“What the hell? This isn’t possible! Cas tell me I’m seeing things.” Dean demanded.

“I believe the correct thing to say is congratulations, it’s a boy?” Cas tried and Harry laughed hysterically. Clearly written on the paper were the names Harry James Potter-Black and Dean Winchester.

“Not funny Cas. How is this possible?”

“Magic.” Harry stated and Dean glared at him.
“Look Halfrek had to change him somehow and at least he’s still related to you, just as your son and not your brother which considering the new age gap does make a lot more sense.” Harry told him, babbling a little since he was still in shock himself.

“It makes sense. By changing his very biology she made one very important change.” Castiel pointed out and they both looked at him.
“I no longer sense any demonic blood inside of him. He has inherited Harry’s powers but all demonic taint is gone.” Dean cuddled Sam close at hearing that, Sam was free but powers?

“What sort of powers?” He asked Harry who shrugged.

“Magic. The internal, inherited kind, not the demonic deal type. He’ll b e pretty powerful too being my son. Look, we’re all in shock. I have a spare room you can use and we can talk more tomorrow.” Harry offered and Dean nodded.
“Can I put Sam down for the night now?” He asked and Dean tightened his grip.
“Dean I’m not taking him away from you but he’s as much mine now as yours. I promise anything that wants him gets through me first and I will not try to keep him from you.”

“You can trust him Dean, Harry Potter is a man of his word.” Dean reluctantly did as Castiel said and handed Sam over.

“Say goodnight Sam.” Sam gurgled at Dean, making him smile and kiss Sam’s head. Harry took him into what was obviously the master bedroom to put him to bed. Dean staggered up and headed for the bedroom Harry had pointed too, he was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.

TBC....