Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Dean stopped and stared, unable to fight the small smile that appeared as he watched Harry feeding Sam and talking to him in baby talk. He still didn’t know what he thought about Harry but Castiel seemed to think well of him and Sam was healthy and happy so he was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

“Good morning Dean.” Harry greeted, looking up and making Dean jump slightly.
“Did you sleep well?”

“Yeah, thanks for the room.” He answered awkwardly and Harry smiled.

“No problem, have a seat, breakfast’s almost done. Want to finish feeding Sam?” harry offered, holding out the bottle and Dean finally entered the room, taking the bottle and then Sam to feed him.

“Morning Sammy.” Dean whispered and hazel eyes focused on him. Sam squealed in joy, little hands flailing until he managed to grasp Dean’s amulet. Harry chuckled as he began serving breakfast.

“He really likes that thing.” The wizard commented and Dean smiled.

“Sammy gave it to me one Christmas when we were kids, I never take it off.” Dean admitted and Harry nodded in understanding. Castiel joined them and watched them eat. Dean was surprised that the angel hadn’t left but was quickly informed that Harry’s wards were designed to keep everything out, including angels and demons.

“I guess we need to talk.” Harry stated once they were all seated in the living room. Castiel inclined his head and Dean just cradled Sam close, still in awe that Sam was alive even if he was a baby.

“Indeed, I am of course aware of much of your story though you have not been observed very closely since the end of the war.” Castiel started and Harry nodded, not looking entirely happy but he understood.
“I also know most of Dean and Sam’s lives though from an angelic perspective. Perhaps each of you should speak and I can add anything I know to be relevant?” Both men nodded at that and then looked at each other, wondering who should start. Finally Harry sighed and leant back in his seat, fixing his eyes on the ceiling.

“I’m going to assume Dean doesn’t know of my people?” He asked and caught Castiel’s nod out of the corner of his eyes.
“So since I have to give a lot of history I’ll go first. Okay three a few basic terms for the story. Wizards and witches are pretty self-explanatory. Our magic comes from inside of us, not from demonic deals like those you may have run into. Squibs are people born to magical families that can’t use magic. A muggle is your average person and a muggle-born is a magical child born to normal parents. With me so far?” Harry asked and Dean thought it over.

“Yeah.” He answered, shifting Sam to a more comfortable position as the baby began drifting off.

“Our society is ancient, going back thousands of years. Once we mingled amongst muggles, not hiding what we were or could do, Merlin was one of us for instance. But gradually people began to look on us with fear and jealousy for what we could do so we began to withdraw. Salem’s a good example of why. So we developed our own society hidden alongside the muggle one. In England a school was started to train children from ages eleven to seventeen how to use their magic. The school was founded by the four most powerful wizards and witches of their time, Godric Gryffindor, Helga Huffelpuff, Salazar Slytherin and Rowena Ravenclaw. The four houses of the school were each named for a founder and students were sorted by which personality traits strongly suited a house. But it wasn’t peaceful for long. A lot of muggleborn children were being killed for their magic and giving up purebloods during torture, that sort of thing. Slytherin came to believe that only purebloods should be allowed at Hogwarts for the safety of all but he was overruled and left the school. As time passed the legend of their parting grew to where when I started school Slytherin was believed to be a Dark Wizard interested in wiping out muggles and muggle-borns.” Harry paused and Dean frowned.

“Dark Wizard?” He asked and Harry nodded, looking out the window.

“Are what they sound like. Dark magic is addictive and leaves its mark on a person’s very soul. I’ve seen the results and they aren’t pretty. Torture, killing for pleasure...that sort of thing is what the revel in.” Harry answered and Dean pulled Sam even closer at that.

“Oh. So more like the witches I’ve hunted.”

“I guess. There are always some around but every few generations one comes along that can rally the others plus some of the creatures that populate our world like vampires and there is war. Light against Dark. The most recent war started sixty, seventy years ago. It wasn’t all that bad when my parents were at Hogwarts but it exploded once they’d graduated. My father, James Potter, was a pureblood from a very old Light family. My mother was Lily Evans, muggleborn. Despite the war raging around them they married shortly after leaving school and soon Lily was pregnant. I was born on July 31st 1980 and we had only fifteen happy months together. The Dark Lord leading the war was known as Lord Voldemort, his real name was Tom Riddle, a half-blood like myself and the last heir of Slytherin. He was power mad and obsessed with wiping out all those he saw as unworthy and impure. Shortly after I was born a prophecy was given and overheard by one of his spies. The prophecy that made my life a living hell.” Harry whispered, closing his eyes against the tears and to Dean’s surprise Sam opened his eyes and looked at Harry. The baby squealed and reached for the young wizard. A look at Castiel had Dean pushing Sam into Harry’s arms. Harry clung to Sam, burying his face in the baby’s stomach as Sam gurgled at him, trying to offer comfort in his own way. Finally Harry raised his head and smiled, tickling Sam gently and making the baby squeal.

“The prophecy was meant to give your people hope and help you prepare, not destroy your life.” Castiel told him and Harry nodded absently.

“You know it?” He asked and the angel nodded.

“The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches…Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies…And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not.. And either must die at the hands of the other for neither can live while the other survives…The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies…” Castiel quoted and Harry nodded.

“There were two children who could have fit, me and a boy in my year, Neville Longbottom. Tom chose to come after me, instead of the pureblood child. My father died quickly, trying to buy Mum time to get me out. She died trying to shield me, begging for me to be spared, it’s the only memory of her I have. He then turned on me and cast the killing curse. It is one of three Unforgiveable curses and Dark Magic. There is no way to block it and only one person has ever survived...me. no one knows exactly what happened, sometimes in my dreams I hear a high, cold laugh and then there’s a flash of green light. I survived and for the next ten years Voldemort was believed to be dead. I was found amongst the wreckage of the house and taken to my only living relatives. My mother’s muggle sister, her husband and their son. I spent the next ten years nothing more than a slave to my own family. They hated magic beyond anything else, I think Aunt Petunia was also a bit jealous of mine and Mum’s powers. They were killed when I was sixteen.” Harry stopped again as Sam waved his arms, whacking Harry in the nose and making Dean laugh. Even Castiel smiled slightly.

“Good aim already Sammy.” Dean teased, knowing Harry wouldn’t want any pitying comments for his childhood. It was weird but Sam seemed to be able to detect their moods and react accordingly to lighten them. Harry smiled and ran a hand through the soft baby curls, removing a small pendant from around his neck and letting Sam gum it. Harry sighed and began to speak again.

“I was eleven when I learnt the truth about my parents and who I was. Harry James Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived. From the moment I stepped into the Wizarding World I hated that name with a passion. Who wants to be famous for their parents dying? I felt magic was my escape but I was wrong. The Wizarding World is corrupt, outdated and blatantly prejudiced. I learnt that quickly enough and began to hide behind a mask, I became their perfect Golden Boy while planning how to escape once my role was done. It was a good thing I did. I won’t bore you with all the details but it’s sufficient to say that Voldemort was not dead, merely thrown from his body and the headmaster of my school, said to be the most powerful Light Wizard and the only one Voldemort feared, knew it. I didn’t realise it at the time but through my schooling he set out tests as a way of training me to fulfil the prophecy. My first year there I faced Voldemort’s spirit possessing one of my teachers and I killed the man. My mother’s death had set an ancient blood protection on me, Voldemort could not stand my touch and so the teacher died.” Harry spoke briefly about the events of each year up until the year he watched his godfather die. Dean and Castiel listened quietly, only Sammy’s occasional attempts to cheer Harry up breaking the wizard’s story.
“I was nineteen when I face Tom for the final Tom. I actually don’t remember much of the battle but I do know I died. There was this flash of green and I knew it was over but I wasn’t scared, I felt....calm. Something happened, it’s really fuzzy and then I was lying on the ground with Tom gloating over me. I grabbed the dagger Snape had given me and shoved it through Tom’s heart. After the war I stayed with the Weasley’s, thinking Ginny really loved me, that we’d marry and have a family but...two months into our engagement I came home early, heard her talking with her mother...talking about the love potions they’d been putting in my tea, how they’d soon be rich. I ran, didn’t stop till I reached America. I’ve been...drifting since then, went back to school, graduated and went to college, got a degree in teaching I’ve never been able to bring myself to use. Other than my dealings with the Goblins I’ve pretty much lived as a muggle since leaving Britain. Finding Sam, being told I have a son when I thought I’d never have family again...I won’t let anyone take him from me and anyone who tries to hurt him better have a will written.” Harry finished, holding Sam close and the baby patted his chest.

Harry rose and handed Sam over to Dean, heading into the kitchen and it was only then that the hunter realised how long Harry had been talking for. Soon enough the smell of food began emanating from the other room. When Harry returned he had a bottle in his hands and three plates plus glasses bobbing along behind him. It was the first time Dean had really seen Harry use magic and he stared in shock while Sam babbled happily at the flying dinnerware. After they’d eaten and Sam had been fed and then changed much to Dean’s disgust, he started his and Sam’s story. Sam was passed back to him as he struggled to explain their mother’s death, Sam clinging to him and his amulet again, trying to give comfort as he spoke briefly of their childhood always on the move and the constant training. Sam sniffled sadly when Dean spoke of his fight with John and leaving Dean behind for college. That made Dean look down at Sam and smile softly, tickling him under the chin. He nearly jumped when a soft hand landed on his shoulder as he struggled with speaking about Sam’s death, his deal and then his own death.

“I was chosen to pull Dean from hell and then guide him in the fight against Lilith and her forces.” Castiel spoke up and Dean was grateful for the reprieve. Castiel spoke more frequently now, helping Dean get through the explanation of what had happened between him and Sam when he’d learnt his baby brother was sleeping with a demon and even drinking her blood. Little Sammy wailed sadly, tears falling from his eyes as he held his arms up to Dean. Dean held him close, murmuring softly that he loved Sam, no matter what. He spoke of how they’d been torn apart and turned against each other, Sam killing Lilith and releasing Lucifer. He smiled at Sam when he spoke of how Sam had apologised, begging for forgiveness as he detoxed and how he had accepted it, grudgingly at first and then how they had mended their relationship. He told Harry about the months hunting, fighting the Horesmen and other demons until along with a handful of hunters and angels they had faced Lucifer in battle.

“We got separated at some point and I couldn’t spare time to search for Sam. I was alone against Lucifer and I honestly had no idea what I was meant to do. There was this...feeling of white hot power and everything went white. When I could see again Lucifer and his army where gone.” Dean looked to Castiel who actually looked puzzled.

“I assumed you knew what happened Dean. I was involved in my own fight at the time. I honestly do not know what happened.” He admitted much to Dean’s surprise, he had assumed the angel would know how Dean had won.

“I yelled for Sam, trying to find him and then Cas called me.”

“Sam had been fighting near me, when the fighting stopped I could not see him and so searched for him. I found him lying next to the body his opponent had been possessing. Sam had been fatally wounded, a hole through his chest and my powers were far too weak to do anything but extend his agony. I called for Dean when I heard him coming.”

“Sammy was so brave, he tried to smile at me, even managed to grasp my hand but I could see he knew he was dying and this time it was taking a lot longer. I begged Castiel to heal him but he couldn’t, that’s when Halfrek showed up. Castiel made the wish and she vanished and Sam...he started convulsing, there was blood coming out of his mouth and then...he was gone. I held him, wanting him to come back and then his body just....faded away.” Dean finished, fighting tears at the memory and little Sammy cooed, clinging to him.
“So what happens now?” He finally asked.

“We figure out what to do next.” Harry answered softly.

TBC...