Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

No one took any notice of the small boy as he crept into the building and curled up on a back pew. He was dressed nearly in rags and was too thin to be healthy but intense green eyes shone with an intelligence that would make anyone rethink their initial estimation of his age. Messy black hair hung nearly to his collar and helped hide the distinctive scar on his forehead. He sat in the pew for hours just enjoying the warmth and peaceful atmosphere of the church before slowly slipping away as quietly as he had come; after all he had dinner to cook.

This pattern repeated itself for weeks before someone finally took notice of the young boy. He’d heard the rumours of the child of course, who in the area hadn’t and yet...what he was seeing simply didn’t add up. In fact he had a feeling there was a very good case for child abuse sitting in the back pew and yet no case had been filed from what he’d been able to learn. He waited a few more weeks to be sure before approaching the child.

“Hello.” The voice made him jump only to stumble as he hit the pew in front of him. Gentle hands caught him and helped him regain his balance. Fearful emerald stared up into kind hazel and for the first time since he could remember Harry Potter was not struck for being somewhere he should not be.

“Hello.” He finally answered quietly, looking down at the ground.

“I noticed you staring at the windows, do you know the stories the glass shows?” The pastor asked and the boy shook his head.
“Would you like to learn?” His question made the boy raise his head, green eyes wide in shock.

“Can I?”

“Of course you can. How about we have a nice warm lunch while we’re at it? I am Pastor Philip and you are?” He asked even though he already knew.

“Harry Potter sir.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Mr. Potter.” With that he guided the boy to the back rooms where he had a warm meal already waiting for them. He got down one of the Sunday School books and smiled as emerald eyes lit up in joy as he began to read to the small child. Several hours he watched a much happier child leave the church and sent up a silent prayer for someone to watch over the boy. Little did he know that it was heard and answered. He just knew that from that day he had gained an avid student and helper.

----------------------------------
“Is magic evil?” The quiet question made Richard pause in the shelving he was doing and look down at his young companion. The eleven year old though while still small for his age no longer looked like a strong breeze would simply blow him away one day as he had six years earlier. He made sure the boy got at least one good meal a day and it had done wonders but it wasn’t enough to combat the lack of food he was given at home.

“Why do you ask Harry?” He asked, wanting to know Harry’s thoughts before answering. He knew something odd had happened several weeks ago, leading the Dursley’s actually taking their nephew with them on a trip. When they had returned Harry had been quieter than usual but Richard had wanted the boy to come to him rather than push for answers. And now questions about magic? He had a feeling the child wasn’t asking about side show magician magic but the real thing. Richard new about magic, he had a cousin who hunted and it made him worry about why Harry was asking. Harry frowned but finally pulled a crumpled piece of...parchment from his over sized pocket and handed it to him. Richard carefully unfolded it and stared in shock at the contents.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

Headmaster Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First class, Grand sorc., Chf. Warlock,
Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Mr Potter,
We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl no later than 31st July.

Yours Sincerely

Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress


HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

Uniform:
First year students will require:
1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
2. one plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black with silver fastenings)

Set Books
All Students should have a copy of the following:
The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk
A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling
A Beginners' Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllis Spore
Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

Other Equipment
1 wand
1 cauldron (pewter standard size 2)
1 set of glass or crystal phials
1 telescope
1 set of brass scales

Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad.

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS!!!


Richard put the letter down and then sat down himself. Well that certainly was a shock. He’d heard rumours of course about a hidden magical society separate from those who made deals with demons but he had never really believed it could exist. And yet now it appeared harry was a wizard. It made sense in an odd way...too many unexplainable things happened around the boy and he had even slipped Harry some holy water once just to be safe. But none of that mattered right now, comforting Harry did.

“Not all magic is evil Harry.” He answered gently and Harry chewed his lip.

“But....what about not suffering a witch to live?” he asked shakily and Richard closed his eyes. He placed a comforting hand on the boys shoulder and smiled.

“But you are not a witch, you are a wizard.” His answer finally got him a small smile.
“There are many types of magic Harry and yes, some are evil. Witches who make a pact with demons are evil, even if their intentions weren’t in the beginning. But you’re magic is not evil young one. It is your intentions that make you evil or good and I do not believe you could ever choose evil.” Richard assured him and then smiled as the boy hugged him in gratitude.
“I suppose this means I am losing my best helper?” He asked and Harry frowned.

“I can come during holidays.” Harry answered and Richard nodded.

“You’re welcome here any time Harry, you know that. And feel free to write if you wish.”

“Thank you Pastor Richard.”

-----------------------------------
Harry stared out his window with a small smile on his lips, tonight was his last night before leaving for Hogwarts. He’d miss Pastor Richard sure but otherwise he was excited to be leaving. Maybe he’d even finally have friends his own age! His smile widened as he felt a familiar warmth enter his room, ever since he’d met Pastor Richard he felt like someone was watching over him and it was a wonderful feeling. He liked to imagine he had his own guardian angel watching over him.

--------------------------------------
Harry curled up on his bed and fought the urge to cry. Magic School was not the great adventure he had believed it would be. The children were just a cruel as any at his old school but they had magic to back them up. Was he destined to fit in nowhere? Sure Ron hung around him but Harry could see it in his eyes, he only wanted a famous friend. And who wanted to be famous for their parents dying? He shivered, choking back tears and then stilled as warmth filled the area around him and for a second he could feel the comfort of loving arms around him. He clung to that feeling as he finally drifted off to sleep, unaware of the sad blue eyes that watched him.

-------------------------------
Harry staggered back, falling to the stairs as he struggled to get his breath back.

“Kill him!” the voice ordered and Quirrell lunged for him again. Harry was exhausted, the stone a heavy weight in his pocket and his scar was burning fiercely. He lay there, waiting for the end, when he felt the warmth again, strong hands grasping his.

“Do not give up.” A warm voice called and Harry struggled up, feeling someone help hip. Quirrell managed to grab him only to scream in pain as his skin began to burn. Harry stared in shock for a second before lunging forward, grabbing Quirrell’s face and holding on as the man thrashed, skin burning beneath Harry’s hands. Harry staggered back as Quirrell’s body began to turn to ash, feeling sick to his stomach only to freeze as a black...something rose from the remains to fly towards him. Harry threw his hands up in defence and there was a flash of white light in front of him. When he lowered his hands he saw the black thing fleeing through the walls before he collapsed from exhaustion, not feeling the careful hands that caught him and kept his head from smashing into the hard stones. He never saw the man who held him gently until Dumbledore and Snape rushed into the room but when he woke in the hospital wing he found a pure white feather clasped in his hand.

-------------------------------
“Pastor Richard!” A happy voice and the man turned to see Harry Potter in the doorway. He smiled at the sight. The boy looked a lot closer to normal weight than normal and he was smiling happily.

“Welcome back Harry. How was the last week of school?” He asked, he already knew about most of the year from the letters harry sent regularly but there had been nothing recently and he had begun to worry.

“Spent most of it in the infirmary. There was....” Harry trailed off, smile fading away and Richard quickly ushered him away from the public area of the church.

“Harry? What’s wrong?”

“I....” Harry choked and then emerald eyes filled with tears.
“I killed him.” He finally whispered and Richard felt his heart skip several beats at the confession. He held the crying boy close, letting him release his pain without questioning him. Only once Harry had finished crying and had drunk the tea Richard gave him did he decide to ask questions.

“What happened Harry?” he asked gently and Harry bit his lip.

“He...Professor Quirrell was after the philosopher’s stone for Voldemort. He tried to kill me when I wouldn’t hand it over. But my skin burned him so I grabbed him and held on. Quirrell died and then a black thing left his remains and went for me but there was this white light and then the thing left and I passed out.” Harry rushed out and Richard sighed, an eleven year old should not have to deal with killing. Just what was going on in that school?

“What you did was self defence Harry. Did you enjoy killing him?” He asked and Harry viciously shook his head, almost sending his glasses flying to Richard’s amusement.
“Then you did what you had to, to protect not only yourself but others as well. But where were the other teachers?”

“The Headmaster was at the ministry and Professor McGonagall wouldn’t listen. There were traps but we got through them pretty easily. Ron got hurt but he was let out of the hospital wing before me.” Harry answered and Richard frowned, why place traps children could get through? Something wasn’t right but that could wait.

“Sometimes we have to do things we don’t want to in order to protect others, it doesn’t make you a murderer Harry. You went to those in charge first which is good and I wish you hadn’t had to handle it yourself. But you did what had to be done. Feel sad for a life lost but do not let grief consume you. Understand?”

“Yes sir.”

“Now, how about giving an old man a hand with fixing the hymn books for Sunday?” He asked and Harry jumped to help. Once again the aging Pastor sent up a prayer on behalf of Harry Potter and it was answered. For the rest of the summer Harry’s dreams were uninterrupted by the events in the stone chamber.

---------------------------------
Once again Harry was huddled on his bed, fighting back tears. Ever since the disaster of a Duelling Club all he’d been getting were hateful whispers and cold glares. He wasn’t the one doing this! Why wouldn’t anyone listen to him? He sobbed into his arms, not wanting to wake his dorm mates and have to suffer their fearful gazes. Hermione and Ron were okay, the twins thought it all a game but everyone else hated him. Why couldn’t anything ever go right for him at school? His body shook from the force of his sobs and when warm arms wrapped around he turned in their embrace to bury his head in their owner’s chest. A soft hand gently brushed over his hair and slowly he began to calm.

“Everything will be alright little one.” The same voice from last year whispered softly and Harry clung to him as he drifted off to sleep, smiling as warm wings wrapped around him.

--------------------------------
He ran as fast as he could, praying the basilisk wouldn’t catch up. Sure Fawkes had ruined its killing eyes but the thing could swallow a horse! One second year wizard wouldn’t even give the thing indigestion! He stumbled through the ankle deep freezing water and then ducked into a side drain and held his breath, praying the snake wouldn’t notice him. Once it had passed he bolted back the way he’d come, trying to get to Ginny before it was too late. He dropped to his knees beside her, searching for something he could do to help her but there was nothing, Riddle had his wand. He stiffened as the basilisk re-emerged in the chamber and then darted away from Ginny so it would follow him. He tripped and landed hard but reached for what had tripped him, the Sorting Hat. It felt heavier than before so he reached in and pulled out the sword, staring in shock at the name written on it. An enraged hiss had him scrambling to his feet again. At least now he had a weapon even if he had no idea what to do with a sword.

‘Help me please!’ He screamed in his mind for somebody, anybody to help him. Strong arms wrapped around to grip the word with him, helping guide his swings as he attacked the basilisk and Harry followed the moves, leaning back into the body he could feel behind him. On a thong around his neck the feather glowed softly as its owner helped its wearer against the deadly beast. But Harry was only mortal and tiring fast. He stumbled and was forced to thrust the sword upwards or risk being eaten. The blade pierced through the flesh of the beast mouth and into its brain but one of the deadly fangs impaled his arm. Harry bit back a scream of agony as the venom entered his bloodstream, releasing the sword and staggering away from the basilisk in its death throes. He collapsed next to Riddle’s diary and managed to pull the fang free, only half listening to the ghost’s ramblings. He knew he was dying and he could feel his protector’s sadness at that fact but there was one last thing he could do for the world. Gathering his remaining strength he raised the fang and then plunged it into the diary, destroying the fragment of Riddle with the potent venom. He lay down, too dizzy to remain sitting and saw him for the first time. Emerald eyes widened in awe as he took in the large white wings and sad blue eyes.

“t’s okay angel.” He whispered and managed to smile at the being who gave a sad smile in return.
“Thank you.” He closed his eyes, feeling death tugging at him and then he gasped as liquid magic poured into his veins. He opened his eyes to find Fawkes crying into his wound, healing it. He looked up but the angel was gone. Harry smiled softly, petting Fawkes in thanks for his help and then he staggered up and over to the rousing Ginny. They needed to get back to Ron.

TBC...