Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Sam slowly opened his eyes and looked around. He felt confused and sort of out of sync with his body as he struggled to remember what was happening. He was in a hospital bed but the room liked like a normal bedroom. He tried to sit up only to make it half way and then collapse, groaning a little. As if drawn by the sound a figure entered the room and Sam tensed.

“You awake Sam?” The voice made the memories slam into him and he recoiled from the demon.
“Whoa! Take it easy kiddo.” The demon tried to sooth, gently moving Sam so he was back on the pillow and then raising the head of the bed. The demon possessed body sat on the side of the bed as if content to simply study him. It freaked him out and yet.....there was something in the eyes, brown instead of green, that seemed to scream Dean. Sam whimpered in distress and the demon’s reaction was pure Dean, gently cradling him and whispering that everything was going to be okay, that Dean would protect him and it hurt so much. Because if this was Dean then Sam had failed, he had failed his brother. Sam choked back a sob and the demon began gently rubbing his back.

“Not real.” Sam sobbed and the demon hugged him tenderly.

“I’m real Sammy. I’m here and I’m never leaving you again.” The demon whispered in his ear.

---------------------------------
Dean watched Sam sleep, his heart breaking for the kid. Sam was confused and scared and Dean understood why, he honestly did, but it still hurt every time Sam flinched from him or said he wasn’t Dean. Should he try and find this Bobby guy for help? But if he was a hunter how could Dean get him to listen and not try to exorcise him? He just wanted his Sam back but the kid wasn’t getting any better. But maybe....

“Hey Nick, did that Singer guy leave contact details?” He asked the good doctor over the phone.
“Thanks. Baby born yet?” He asked and then smiled.
“Really? That’s great. What’d you name her?” Dean asked happily, Nick was now the proud father of a baby girl.
“Deanna? After me....wow. that’s.....thanks. Yeah, I’ll call back in a few hours.” Dean hung up, still smiling, not noticing the confused hazel watching him.

--------------------------------
Dean looked at the run down looking place and felt a brief flash of....something. had he been here before? He could feel the wards on the place and felt the urge to run but if this would help Sammy... He slowly made his way to the porch and then up the stairs, knocking shakily. The door opened and he found himself facing the gruff man he’d seen at the institute.

“Bobby Singer?” He asked and the man nodded, staring suspiciously.
“Please hear me out, I mean no harm.” He said and then blinked, his eyes going black for a second. The man reacted instantly, aiming a shotgun at him and Dean held his hands up.
“Whoa! Take it easy, I need your help, please. It’s about Sam Winchester.” Dean rushed out, he knew that shotgun was loaded with salt and it would hurt a lot, despite not doing permanent damage.

“Why should I listen to a demon?” The man snarled and Dean stepped back slightly.

“Because....I think I used to know you.” He answered softly.
“I’m Dean Winchester.” He said and the hunter’s grip tightened on the trigger.
“Please, I know you have no reason to believe me but I am Dean. Sam said I know you but...he’s all I remember.” Dean pleaded with the angry hunter.

“Sam’s missing, even if he wasn’t he has spoken since Dean died.”

“I know, I got him out, got us a place where I could look after him. He’s awake now though he’s not fully better. I...I was hoping seeing you might help him.” Dean said and the shotgun lowered slightly.

“You lying son of a bitch!” Bobby snarled, stepping outside the protection of the wards and Dean moved, trapping Bobby’s arms at his side. Bobby tried to fight him but was no match for Dean’s demonic strength.

“I’m not going to hurt you!” Dean yelled and then they were inside his house and Dean released him. He held his hands up as Bobby stared around.
“You want to see Sam?” Dean asked and then backed into the bedroom. Bobby followed slowly and then dropped the shotgun.

“Sam!” He yelled and Sam groaned, his eyes fluttering open much to Bobby’s shock. Sam looked at him and his eyes widened before he smiled and reached out.

“Bobby.” Sam called and the hunter moved to his side, taking Sam’s hand. Bobby gripped Sam’s hand tightly and Sam gripped his back, though not as strongly.

“I don’t believe it...Christo.” He said just to be sure and the demon flinched away but there was no reaction from Sam.
“Oh my God...you’re really awake.” Bobby muttered and Sam smiled at him.

“Awake Bobby.” Sam answered, looking around the room. He bit his lip as he spotted the Dean.
“Don’t hurt...Bobby.” He said to Dean and Dean nodded.

“Wasn’t going to, I...I thought he could help you get better.” Dean answered, smiling gently.

“What do you want with us?” Bobby demanded and Dean looked down.

“Nothing. I just want Sam to get better.” He answered and Bobby snorted.

“Like I believe that.”

“Damn it Bobby!” Dean snapped and both Sam and Bobby froze, eyes wide as they stared at him. Dean blinked and pressed a hand to his head in pain.

“Dean....” Bobby whispered and then shook himself. It couldn’t be, but that reaction, it was so much like the boy he’d thought of as a son.
“How can you expect us to believe you’re Dean. You’re a demon and demon’s lie.” Bobby forced his voice to remain steady and Dean wandered over to the window.

“I don’t know how to prove it. I know nothing I say will help cause I spilled everything down there...I tried to keep quiet but the pain....all I could cling to was Sam, he was all that kept me at least partially sane. Without Sam I’d be like the others, consumed by rage and hate and I don’t want to be like that.” Dean whispered and Sam looked up at Bobby with tears in his eyes, begging the hunter to help.

“Tell me everything you remember.” Bobby demanded and Dean nodded.

“It’s time for Sam’s lunch though. I’ll get it first.” Dean said and Bobby glared.
“I’ve been looking after him for the last year, I haven’t hurt him and I’m not going to.” Dean grumbled, heading for the kitchen and Bobby sat on the edge of the bed.

“You okay kid?” Bobby asked and Sam nodded.
“I’ve missed you Sam, I was so worried when you vanished from the institute. I tried to find you but nothing worked.” Bobby told him and Sam squeezed his hand.

“Okay. How...what...after Dean.” Sam asked and Bobby frowned at Sam’s broken speech.

“By the time I got into the house you were sitting on the floor holding Dean’s body. I tried to talk to you but you didn’t react, then I tried to take Dean and you just started screaming. Got you both out of there but....you just shut down. I tried to look after you Sam, I did, but....I’m sorry.” Bobby explained.

“Not...fault. Sorry being pain.” Sam answered and Bobby reached out to ruffle his hair.

“You’re not a pain Sam.” Bobby assured the broken young man.

“Dean...is he?” Sam asked and Bobby sighed.

“I don’t know Sam, everything I know says it’s impossible and yet...”

“Acts...Dean.” Sam finished for him and Bobby nodded.

“He’s been treating you well?” Bobby asked and Sam nodded as Dean walked back in with a tray of sandwiches and a bowl of soup. Dean went to the other side of the bed to Bobby and put the tray on the swinging table attached to the bed, setting it in front of Sam.

“Made extra if you’re hungry Bobby.” Dean stated as he lifted the mug for Sam and Sam started to drink slowly. Bobby watched them before eventually taking a sandwich for himself. He didn’t trust the demon, it had to be planning something, even if it used to be Dean, whom he wasn’t sure he believed anyway, but for now it was best to go along with things. All he had was a salt filled shotgun and Sam who he doubted was up for a fight.

“So?” Bobby pushed when the food was finally gone. Dean sat beside Sam, cleaning away the crumbs gently but he nodded.

“Earliest thing I remember is someone placing baby Sam in my arms and there was a fire or something.” Dean slowly went over everything he remembered and Bobby and Sam listened intently. The only person in the memories Dean could describe or name was Sam which made some of them hard to place but Bobby realised he was the one being mentioned a few times. When he spoke about the Hellhounds, Sam cried out and Dean pulled him into his arms, kissing the top of his head softly.
“Hey, it’s okay, I’m back Sammy.” Dean whispered. Sam looked up at him, tears in his eyes and Dean gently wiped them away.

“Hell.” Sam said and Dean nodded.

“I remember it, the never ending torture and despair. Gradually losing what made me human, all except you.” Dean whispered.
“Love you Sammy.”

Bobby watched the demon and the way it reacted to Sam’s distress and it was such a Dean reaction, when he had his mask down. The way the demon acted was like the true Dean, not the Dean he showed the world. Was it possible? Bobby hoped so for Sam’s sake because if it wasn’t....Bobby had a feeling nothing would be able to save the kid from his own mind again.

TBC...