Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Bobby watched as the demon gently helped Sam back into the bedroom from his daily bath. Three days and nothing bad had happened, the demon hadn’t even gotten rid of his shotgun or anything. It seemed solely focused on Sam and his needs. Bobby knew he was being tolerated for Sam’s sake so he was being very careful about anything he said or did, the last thing he needed was to piss it off and be sent away or killed. There’d be no one to help Sam if that happened. He forced himself to ignore the part of his heart that cried out the demon was Dean; he had to stay alert and suspicious for Sam’s sake if not his own.

The demon helped Sam back onto the bed, smiling softly as it arranged the sheets and fluffed Sam’s pillow for him. Sam just stared up at it curiously, he’d stopped flinching after crying when the demon recounted Dean’s life and that worried Bobby. He knew Sam still wasn’t fully...right in the head yet, was he starting to believe the demon was Dean? Sam’s speech was still disjointed and he was uncoordinated although he was regaining strength. Bobby watched as the demon sat with Sam until he was asleep and then it motioned him from the room. He hesitated but followed it to the kitchen.

“His speech isn’t getting any better, is it?” The demon asked and Bobby shook his head. He watched as it ran a hand through its hair and then grabbed a cell phone. Bobby watched as he hit speed dial and then put it to his ear.
“Hey Nick, how’s little Deanna?” The demon asked and then smiled.
“Really? That’s great! Actually I was wondering if you could spare a day? I’d like Sam to have a check up if you could.....thanks. Yeah, I’ll pick you up so don’t bring anything easily friable. See you soon.” The demon hung up and turned to Bobby.
“I’m gonna go pick Nick up, I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

“Who’s Nick?” Bobby asked and the demon smiled.

“Doctor from the place you had Sammy in, he helped me get him out.” The demon answered, going back into Sam’s room to check he was still asleep before he vanished. Bobby looked around, searching for salt but there was none. The demon wasn’t stupid. He nearly jumped as a sound came from Sam’s room and he bolted back to it.

“I think I’m gonna be sick.” He heard a male voice complain. He stepped into the room to see the demon with a man in dress pants and a buttoned shirt, a black backpack slung over a shoulder.

“It wasn’t that bad.” The demon grumbled and the man rolled his eyes before looking over to the bed.
“He’s still asleep, he sleeps a lot actually.” The demon stated sadly.

“That’s normal Dean.” The man answered as he finally straightened up and put his bag down only to finally spot Bobby.
“Hi, saw you at the hospital a few times. Doctor Nickolas Bryant.” Nick held his hand out to Bobby.

“Christo.”Bobby said and the demon flinched away but Nick didn’t.

“That’s what this is to stop, right?” He undid a few buttons to show the familiar tattoo over his heart.
“Got it after Dean left using a photo of Sam’s.” He stopped talking when there was movement from the bed. Hazel eyes slowly opened only to go wide when their owner spotted the stranger. Sam struggled to sit up and the demon was instantly at his side, helping him.

“Who?” Sam asked and Nick smiled at him.

“Hi Sam, I’m Doctor Nickolas Bryant, I work at the hospital you were in. I’m just here to give you a check up, make sure you’re doing okay.” Nick told him and Sam stared at him before his gaze went to Bobby and then the demon.

“Demon?” Sam asked nervously and Nick showed him the tattoo.

“Just like yours Sam.” He assured and Sam relaxed a little.

“Why helping?” Sam asked and Nick frowned at the way he worded the question.

“Well partly it’s my job and Dean sort of grew on my. Like a mould really.” Nick muttered with a quick grin for Sam who actually laughed a little.

“Ha ha.” The demon grumbled.

“Jerk.” Sam stated and Bobby watched the demon smile.

“Bitch.” The answer made Bobby close his eyes and take a deep breath.

“Okay Sam I need to do a few tests, ask some questions. You okay with that? I won’t be recording any of it for the hospital, just for your record.” Nick explained and Sam looked at the demon and Bobby.

“It’s a good idea Sam, as long as this guy is on the up and up.” Bobby answered. Nick rolled his eyes and pulled out his hospital credentials, tossing them over to the paranoid hunter who looked them over closely before tossing them back.

“Okay everyone out but the patient.” Nick shooed them out and then picked his bag up. He placed it on a chair and pulled out a stethoscope and a pad of paper.
“Nothing invasive, just checking your heart, lungs, reflexes, things like that, okay Sam?” Nick asked and Sam nodded shakily.
“It’s good to see you awake, hate to say it but your doctors had written you off by the time I saw your chart.” Nick told him as he checked Sam’s pulse and blood pressure.

“Not my doc?” Sam asked and Nick shook his head as he continued checking Sam over.

“Nope. I worked a different ward then one day this cloud of black smoke came through my office vent. Scared the hell out of me at first.”

“Possessed?” Sam asked, eyes wide and Nick nodded.

“Yeah, it wasn’t that bad. All Dean wanted to do was check on you, make sure you were okay. We chatted a lot, it was a bit weird but he was only in me when he came to see you. Apparently possession isn’t too good for the person being possessed. I helped him fake the patient transfer to get you out. You know the first time we walked into your room, you moved your head, first voluntary movement you’d made since before being admitted. It was like you knew he was there.”

“You like?” Sam asked and Nick frowned before getting what Sam was asking.

“Hey, I named my new baby girl after him.” Nick answered and Sam smiled.

“Cute?”

“The cutest.” He pulled out his wallet and held up a picture making Sam’s smile widen.

“Very cute. What wrong me?” Sam asked as his smile faded and Nick sighed, sitting on the edge of the bed.

“Sam...you have to realise that recovery is going to take time. The fact that you woke up at all is amazing. Dean’s been working on your physical therapy; we’ll add speech therapy to it as well. You don’t seem to be having problems understanding things which is good.”

“Permanent?” Sam asked fearfully and Nick shrugged.

“I honestly don’t know. There’s no way to know until you start the therapy. If there’s no improvement or you stop progressing all together at some point then we’ll be able to say.” Nick explained and Sam looked away.
“I know this is hard Sam but you have to keep your spirits up. It’ll be a lot of hard work but I hear you used to go to Stanford so you should be used to working hard.” Nick told him and Sam finally nodded.

“Really Dean? Want but hard.” Sam chewed his lip, looking down again.

“I only know what I learnt when he was in my head. I know that he was scared for you and that he loves you. He believes he’s Dean Winchester. I wouldn’t have helped if I didn’t believe he just wants to help you.” Nick told him and then stood.
“I’ll let them know we’re done.”

“Why sleepy?”

“Sam your mind went through a serious trauma and you’re trying to get used to being up and around again. Sleeping a lot is normal.” Nick assured him as he left the room.

“Is he okay?” Dean demanded immediately and Nick smiled.

“Considering everything he’s been through he’s doing well. I’d like to get him started on some speech therapy, see if that helps any.” Nick told them.

“If?” Bobby asked and Nick sighed.

“Honestly....it’s possible there’s some permanent damage. Without putting him through every test there’s no way to be sure and he’s listed as missing, we can’t just take him for scans. Without that therapy’s the best option. He’s fully aware and able to understand so that’s a good sign.” Nick explained.

“What’s this therapy involve exactly?” Bobby asked and Nick shrugged.

“Nothing too complicated, I can show you both.” He said and they both nodded.

----------------------------
“So the guy you’re possessing....he willing?” Bobby asked and the demon turned to face him.

“No. He’s brain dead. I’m the only one in here.” Was the answer.
“Kind of weird really, I got used to chatting with Nick and then trying to get through to Sammy. Not used to being alone in here.” The demon pointed to its head.

“Prove it.” Bobby demanded and the demon looked at him before shrugging and sitting in a chair. He opened his mouth and the familiar demonic smoke poured out of the man’s mouth. Bobby stepped back automatically but the smoke didn’t approach. It moved away from the body and Bobby approached to check the man over. Sure enough the body was dead. He backed away and the smoke re-entered the body. The demon blinked and then looked at him.

“Satisfied?” He asked and Bobby nodded.
“Good.” He stood up and went back to looking over the information Nick had left them.

Bobby watched him closely as he studied what they needed to help Sam with his talking. He really didn’t know what to believe. The doctor...the way he acted around Sam....was it possible?

TBC...