Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Bobby watched as the demon patiently went through the exercises with Sam, staying calm no matter how frustrated Sam got. Watching them together like that...it was like watching Dean and Sam as children with Dean trying to teach Sam something. Seeing him like that, it made it a lot easier to think that maybe, just maybe the demon was telling the truth about being Dean. Every day was the same with the demon going over Sam’s physical and mental exercises, helping the kid bathe, all that. It was nice; the demon had even gone out and gotten Bobby research material so he wasn’t bored.

“Sam it’s okay.” Dean soothed, ignoring the way Bobby hovered just outside the room.

“No.” Sam answered stubbornly, staring down at his hands.

“Sammy come on. You heard Nick, it’s gonna take time.” Dean encouraged him.

“Want better now.” Sam insisted and Dean sighed, putting the cards aside and moving to sit on the edge of the bed and gently stroke through Sam’s hair. Sam remained tense for a few moments but then slowly relaxed.

“I know you do kiddo but you have to work at it. Hey, you’re getting stronger every day. You managed to walk to the kitchen yesterday and that’s a big improvement.” Dean told him and Sam nodded sullenly. Dean smiled and picked up the card again, noticing Bobby grinning and then leaving.

---------------------------
Bobby looked up as the demon joined him, flopping into the chair opposite him.

“Need anything from town?” He asked and Bobby shut his book.

“Salt?”

“Ha ha. Will.....will you ever give me a chance Bobby?” The demon asked and Bobby glared.

“Even if you were Dean, you’re a demon now. Demon’s don’t care about anyone or anything.” Bobby answered stiffly and the demon sighed.

“Only way I can think to prove it you’d never agree to.” The demon grumbled and Bobby raised an eyebrow making the demon stare at him until he got it. The only way was to let the demon possess him. But if he did that there was no way to guarantee the demon would leave him again.
“There’s a spell....it’d put a time limit on how long I’d be there. It’s just a thought. Anyway, is there anything you want? More books or something?” the demon asked and Bobby nodded.

“If you could get a laptop or something? Could give Sam something to do as well. And let me look this spell over. If....and it’s highly unlikely but if I agreed to it then we need enough salt for a circle round me during it.” Bobby told him and the demon nodded.

“I’ll write it out and then head to the shops.”

---------------------------
Bobby stared at the demon as he finished the spell. He was nervous but refusing to show it. He’d triple checked the spell and it would work, the demon would have only a few minutes inside him but it should be enough. The demon stepped over to him and Bobby finished the salt circle.

“Ready?”

“As I’ll ever be.” Bobby answered and then demon nodded, it’s vessels mouth opened and the familiar smoke exited. Bobby fought the urge to step out of the circle as the cloud slowly approached him. He swallowed and then opened his mouth, fighting the urge to choke as it poured down his throat.

‘Bobby?’ A voice called and he flinched but his body didn’t move and he fought down the panic.
‘It’s okay, you’re safe.’ The demon soothed gently, slowly wrapping itself closer around Bobby. He forced himself to relax and then he felt the demon’s mind opening to him, drawing him in. He felt the demon shielding him from something and he realised it was the memories of hell but he found himself seeing Sam growing from a baby to an adult and he could feel the love and devotion aimed at the youngest Winchester. By the time the demon left him Bobby had tears trailing down his cheeks and he fell to his knees, gentle hands barely bracing him.
“Bobby?” the demon called and he looked up at brown eyes.

“Dean.” Bobby whispered and those eyes widened before Dean smiled. He then gasped in shock as Bobby yanked him into a brief hug.
“Welcome back kid.” Bobby whispered and Dean hugged him back.

“Mind breaking the circle? We should get back to Sammy.” Dean said and Bobby nodded, reaching down to run his hand through the salt. Dean helped him up and they headed in to find Sam sitting beside the window, basking in the sun.
“Hey Sammy.” Dean called and Sam looked up at them, smiling slightly but then he frowned.

“Bobby okay?” Sam asked and Bobby grinned at him.

“I’m fine kiddo. We just had to do something to....it’s Dean, Sam. It’s really him.” Bobby told him and Sam stared at them before focusing on Dean.

“Sure?” Sam asked and Bobby nodded. Sam smiled slowly and then reached for his brother. Dean moved closer and then wrapped his arms around Sam, hugging him. Sam clung to him as tightly as he could, tears filling his eyes at the confirmation that this was really his brother.
“Dean.” Sam sobbed and Dean tightened his grip.

“It’s okay Sammy, I’m here.” Dean whispered.
“Not leaving you again.” Dean promised and Sam pulled back to stare at him, reaching out to touch the black hair that was almost as long as Sam usually wore his. He could see Dean in the brown eyes, honestly he’d pretty much believed it was Dean for a while but it was nice that Bobby could say for sure.

“Hair too long, need cut.” Sam teased and Dean laughed, even Bobby snickering.

“He’s right you know. I can’t believe you’ve put up with it.” Bobby said and Dean shrugged.

“Didn’t seem that important all things considered.” Dean answered, still holding Sam close. Not that Sam was trying to get away, if anything he was trying to get closer.

--------------------------
“Dean.” Sam called and his brother walked into his room.

“Morning Sammy.” Dean answered, putting his breakfast tray down on the table and then swung it in front of Sam. He watched as Sam shakily started to feed himself, just in case he needed help. His muscle control and strength was still improving though there hadn’t been much improvement in his speech over the last month.
“Got anything you want to do today?” He asked when Sam finally finished.

“I....I want ttt.....to talk.” Sam finally managed to get the sentence out and Dean smiled proudly.

“Okay, about what?” Dean asked, settling back in his seat. Sam bit his lip and Dean took his hand.
“Take your time kiddo.”

“What next? Can’t sssstay here ever.” Sam said and Dean shrugged.

“Honestly hadn’t thought that far ahead. I just wanted you out, safe and healthy. This place was set up for the long term though, Nick made sure I knew it was possible you’d never wake up or be able to function out in the world. But you’ve blown away all expectations.” Dean told him proudly and Sam smiled shyly.
“I’d like us to never go back to hunting.” Dean admitted and Sam frowned but then nodded.

“Why?”

“You’ve been out of the game for three years Sam, even if you get your strength and full muscle control back you’re not getting any younger. I don’t want to risk you. Maybe if something’s in the same town as us I can take care of it but.” Sam held a hand to Dean’s mouth, making him stop talking.

“Okay. Not really want to hunt. But Lilith?”

“Lilith?” Dean asked frowning as he tried to remember.

“Deal demon, called hellhounds.” Sam added and Dean remembered.

“What about her?” He asked.

“Wanted me dead. She....think, I...”

“Whoa Sammy, take it easy, calm down. Deep breaths, then try again.” Dean whispered and Sam sucked in a few deep breaths, slowly calming down.
“That’s it, now what’s this about Lilith?”

“Wants me dead. I think....think she there...was there.” Sam said and Dean’s eyes widened.

“Where Sammy? The hospital?” He asked in horror and Sam nodded.

“Remember....white room, bed, nurse white eyes. Put hand on head then here you.” Sam told him and Dean closed his eyes; pulling Sam into his arms to reassure himself that Sam was with him and safe.

“She won’t get you here Sam, me and Bobby’ll make sure she can’t get in.” Dean promised, fighting down the rage that came with the knowledge of how close that bitch had gotten to his brother.

“No.” Sam suddenly said and Dean frowned.

“Sam?” Dean questioned and Sam looked him in the eye.

“No go after her. Dangerous, won’t lose you.” Sam demanded and Dean had to smile, Sam knew him to well even after their time apart.

“I promise.” Dean told him and Sam nodded, relaxing slowly again.

--------------------------
“What’s wrong?” Bobby asked when he saw the way Dean was pacing.

“Lilith.” Dean growled, his eyes flashing black for a second.

“What about her?” Bobby demanded.

“Sam woke up in the hospital Bobby.” Dean told him, hands clenched into fists.

“But the doctors said....”

“She was there Bobby, she touched him and the next thing Sam remembers is being here with me.” Dean explained and Bobby went white.

“How?” He whispered and Dean shrugged.

“Did you ward Sam’s room straight away?” Dean asked and Bobby shook his head, closing his eyes in pain.

“They wouldn’t let me in for a day, getting him settled and all that. Damn it! If I’d gone anyway...”

“It’s not your fault Bobby.”

“Sure it was Lilith?”

“Sam is. Said her eyes were white and she was in a nurse.” Dean explained.

“We need to up the wards, means you might not be able to do your disappearing trick.” Bobby told him and Dean nodded.

“If that keeps Sam safe then do it, I can drive.”

TBC...