Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


“Think that’ll do it?” Bobby asked when they finally finished and Dean nodded.

“Should, I can’t even nudge them so they should keep her out.”

“Good. I never want you boys facing that bitch again. If Sam......it’d kill him to lose you again.” Bobby told him as they walked back into the house. They’d made sure to do all the work whenever Sam was asleep to keep the kid from worrying and when Dean peeked in at him he smiled at finding Sam still out to it, half curled on his side and one of Dean’s shirts in his hand. He slipped into the room and gently pulled the blanket up further, causing Sam’s eyes to flutter open.

“Shh, just me Sammy, go back to sleep kiddo.” Dean soothed, happy when Sam did as asked, showing just how well he’d adjusted to Dean’s new body and voice. Dean slipped from the room and joined Bobby in what had become a small library since the hunter had joined them.
“So.........nobody back home to miss you?” Dean asked, needing to hear something. He’d found that he really hated silence since getting topside, too easy to hear the echoes of his own screams. Bobby gave him an odd look and Dean realised it was something he used to know.

“No. Haven’t had much business lately either so the place can look after itself for a while.” Bobby told him and Dean nodded, searching madly for something to talk about.
“You’ve never liked the quiet boy, guess that hasn’t changed.” The older man grumbled, smirking slightly at him before flicking the radio on. Dean relaxed as the music filled the room, surprised to find he was humming along.

“I....” he looked at Bobby whose eyes turned sad.

“Don’t remember this either?” The hunter asked and Dean shook his head.
“Sam always complained about your love for ‘mullet rock’. Used to drive the kid mad that you insisted on always listening to it.” Bobby told him and Dean closed his eyes, letting the music wash over him and it seemed to stir something in him.

“Driver picks music, shotgun shuts cakehole.” Dean’s eyes shot open to see Sam clinging to the doorframe, smiling at him.

“Sammy?” Dean asked even as he got up to help Sam to a chair.

“Used to say that I complained.” Sam told him and Dean smiled as Sam curled into him.

“Sounds good to me.” Dean stated and Sam laughed.

“All done?” He asked, looking at them and Dean winced at getting caught but nodded.

“Yeah Sammy, no one’s getting in here but the three of us.” Dean told him and Sam nodded.

“Good.”

````````````````````````````````````
The near collision in the doorway to Sam’s room would have been comical if it wasn’t for Sam’s screams filling the air. Dean grabbed Bobby, making sure he didn’t fall before rushing to Sam’s side. He gently held Sam’s flailing limbs down so the kid didn’t hurt himself and started calling to him softly, not wanting to startle him awake. Unfortunately that was what happened. Hazel eyes snapped open and Sam stared at him without really seeming to see him, his screams getting louder as he fought to get free of Dean’s hold.

“Sammy it’s okay. Look at me kiddo, you’re safe.” Dean soothed, feeling Bobby come up beside him to hold Sam’s legs, freeing Dean to move up so he could cup Sam’s face with one hand.
“Deep breaths Sam, come on, just relax. I’m here.” Dean whispered and slowly Sam began to relax, his eyes focussing on Dean.

“De....” Sam mumbled and Dean nodded, letting Sam’s hands go as he went still. He moved to sit on the edge of the bed, running a hand through Sam’s hair to offer comfort.

“I’m here Sammy, just relax. You were having a nightmare.” Dean told him and Sam’s head rolled on his pillow, too tired to actually shake it.

“Real.” Sam murmured and Dean frowned.

“You mean a memory?” He asked and Sam whimpered.

“Hey, it‘s okay.” Dean soothed and Sam reached out sluggishly for him. Dean pulled him up into his arms, holding him gently. Sam snuggled into his arms and Dean shifted on the bed so that he was settled against the headboard. Dean looked at Bobby who nodded and left, going back to bed. Dean just held Sam, running his fingers through Sam’s hair as the kid finally began to settle again.

“No sleep.” Sam whispered tiredly and Dean just hugged him.

“It’ll be okay Sammy; I’ll wake you up if it looks like you’re having a nightmare.” Dean promised and Sam stared up at him trustfully before closing his eyes and resting his head over Dean’s heart. It didn’t take very long for him to fall asleep again. Dean just stayed there the rest of the night, holding Sam close and soothing him whenever it seemed like he might be starting to have a nightmare. It was almost nine before Sam started to show real signs of waking again and Dean smiled as sleepy hazel eyes fluttered open.

“Dean?”

“Morning Sammy.” Dean told him, shifting his grip a bit so Sam could move but Sam stayed where he was.
“No more nightmares?” Dean asked and Sam smiled at him, shaking his head.
“Told you I’d stop them kiddo. What do you say to some breakfast?”

“Okay.” Sam answered but still didn’t move and Dean grinned, shifted his grip and then stood from the bed, Sam held securely in his arms. Sam’s eyes went wide and his grip tightened on Dean but then relaxed when Dean began walking, easily holding his weight.

Bobby just shook his head in amusement when Dean walked into the kitchen, Sam held securely in his arms and seeming to enjoy the free ride. It was nice to see Sam so happy, even if Bobby himself still wasn’t fully used to Dean’s new look. If he’d had any idea Dean could come back he would have done everything he could to patch his body up and preserve it for him.

``````````````````````````````````````
“Shit.” Bobby swore softly but it was enough to make Dean look over from where he was working with Sam on his speech. Seeing that Dean was distracted Sam looked over at Bobby too, wanting to know what was going on.

“Bobby?” Dean asked when the older man stayed silent and he turned the laptop towards Dean who walked over to look. Dean scanned the articles, frown deepening the more he read.
“Lilith?” He asked too quietly for Sam to hear and Bobby nodded.

“Looks like it.” He answered just as quietly and Dean chewed at his lip.
“Think she knows where we are?”

“Could be coincidence. And why come after us now? If she wanted Sam why not just kill him in the hospital? Why wait?” Dean asked and Bobby sighed.

“Could be that she couldn’t. Only thing I got out of Sam before he fully shut down was that Lilith had tried to kill him after you died but it didn’t work. Does she know you’re out?”

“Probably, it wasn’t exactly easy after all.” Dean admitted, refusing to say anything else about it.

“Dean?” Sam called and Dean moved back over to him.
“Wh....what wrong?” He asked, staring at Dean and the demon hesitated.
“Dean.” Sam demanded and Dean chuckled at his impatience before sobering.

“Sam....we may need to leave soon.” Dean started gently and Sam frowned.

“Demons?” He asked and Dean grinned at the indication that Sam’s mind was as sharp as ever.

“Yeah, they seem to be headed this way. Could have nothing to do with us or.....”

“They after us. When will....wwe llleave?” Sam asked and Dean looked to Bobby.

“Better be ready to make a run for my place at any moment.” The older hunter answered and Sam nodded.

````````````````````````````````````````
“Something on your mind?” Bobby asked and Dean sighed but nodded.

“Sam’s not up to this Bobby.”

“He’s stronger than he looks Dean; you know that better than anyone.” Bobby argued and Dean glared at him, eyes actually flashing black.

“You...you didn’t see it Bobby. What that bitch forced him to see for three years without stopping. He’s still not able to walk far let alone fight......” Dean told him and Bobby sighed, running a hand through his greying hair.

“Then we go now, before they get any closer. Grab a car and take Sam that way.” Bobby suggested and Dean nodded. Bobby left him alone and Dean wandered around slowly, staring at the small house that had become home after the last sixteen months. The place had been good to them and he was sad to be leaving it but to keep Sammy safe they had to.

TBC....