Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Bobby was taking his turn at the wheel meaning Dean could sit in the back, Sam lying with his head in his lap, fast asleep. Dean knew the sleep was good for him, especially while travelling but it made him remember what Sam had been like when he’d first found him and he didn’t like that. Bobby would glance back at them every so often but other than that the car was silent as they travelled. Dean was petrified by the thought of Lilith finding them, of her being able to trap Sam away from him again and he wished he could just transport them back to Bobby’s but that would leave a very obvious trail for the others to follow.

“Look out!” Dean screamed, covering Sam’s body with his own as Bobby swerved, the truck clipping the car and sending it spinning across the road to slam into the rail.
“Bobby?” Dean called once it was still.

“I’m okay. Was that?”

“Demons. We need to move fast.” Dean yelled, staring down into terrified yet determined hazel eyes. Dean kicked the door open and clambered out, pulling Sam with him. He slung Sam’s arm over his shoulder, Bobby taking Sam’s other side as he joined them the truck had pulled to a stop and the doors were opening, demons emerging.
“Run.” Dean said and they took off, Sam stumbling and staggering between them. They moved as fast as Sam could but all three knew it wasn’t fast enough as they heard the demons running after them.

“Leave me.” Sam wheezed and Dean tightened his grip on his brother.

“Not happening kiddo.” Dean snapped, trying to take more of Sam’s weight so they could move faster.

“Slowing down, leave me.” Sam said again and Dean shook his head before pausing behind a tree. Bobby stepped back so Dean could pin Sam to the tree.

“Never, beside Lilith wants you too and I won’t let her get you.”

“Too slow, can’t watch you.....Dean.” Sam whispered, tears falling and Dean hugged him, an idea hitting him.

“Do you trust me?” He asked and Sam nodded.
“Close your eyes and open your mouth.” Dean whispered and Sam’s eyes widened before slowly shutting and Sam opened his mouth. Dean leant in as if to kiss him, flowing from the body he used to Sam. Sam’s body jerked and there was the distant sound of a body crumpling to the ground and then Dean was staring down at Bobby from a greater height. He felt Sam trying not to panic and gently wrapped himself round the kid, soothing him. He smiled as Sam relaxed, happy that Sam had accepted what he’d done and proud of the kid for wanting to be alert while possessed.

“Dean?” Bobby demanded and Dean nodded.

“We’re both here. We need to run now.” He grabbed Bobby’s arm and they ran. He could feel the toll the pace was exerting on Sam’s body, knew it was setting the kids recovery back by months if not permanently.

‘It’s okay Dean.’ Sam’s voice whispered and Dean gave him the mental equivalents of a hug.

‘I’m sorry Sammy.’ He sent back and then he nearly stumbled as he felt a surge of love from Sam.

‘As long as we’re together I don’t care if I can’t walk properly.’ Sam assured him and Dean relaxed, letting Sam feel his love in return as they bolted into the outskirts of a town, using the maze of streets to try and lose the demons following them. Dean grabbed Bobby and then shifted their location several times until they were several states away from where they’d started. After that they hotwired a car and took off again.

“You two okay in there?” Bobby asked once they’d been driving with no signs of pursuit for a good hour.

“Exhausted.” Dean admitted and the hunter nodded.

“Get some sleep.” Bobby told him and Dean stretched out as much as he could considering Sam’s height before relaxing his control of the body enough that it would sleep. He dove deeper into Sam’s mind, smiling when he found himself standing in front of Sam, exactly how he looked before hell. Sam reached out hesitantly, grinning when his hand made contact with Dean’s arm and then Dean was yanked into a hug.

‘Sammy.’ Dean breathed, burying his face in Sam’s neck as Sam clung to him. Sam pulled back and stared at him, smiling tearily.

‘You look like you again.’ Sam whispered and Dean smiled.

‘Thanks to you kiddo. I...I didn’t remember till I saw your memories.’ Dean admitted and Sam nodded.

‘That body...it wasn’t the same as this.’ Sam admitted and Dean looked down.

‘I’m sorry Sammy.’ Dean muttered and then Sam was hugging him again.

‘It’s not your fault, I’m just glad to have you back.’ Sam whispered and Dean looked up at him.

‘Even as a demon?’ Dean asked hesitantly and Sam nodded solemnly.

‘Demon, vampire, human, I don’t care as long as you’re here.’ Dean swore to him and Dean leant further into Sam’s arms, soaking up the comfort and love he’d gone centuries without.

‘I missed you so much Sammy. I was scared it had been too long, that you’d be dead when I got out.’ Dean admitted sadly and Sam tightened his grip.

‘I’m not dead, I’m here.’ Sam assured him, kissing the top of Dean’s head in an effort to comfort him the way Dean had been comforting him since he’d woken up. Sam suddenly frowned and Dean looked at him.

‘What’s wrong?’ Dean asked and Sam looked at him.

‘I can talk....’ Sam trailed off, confused and Dean hugged him.

‘We’re not really talking though. Nick said you had no trouble thinking and understanding, that’s what you’re doing. You’re thinking to me, not talking.’ Dean explained and Sam looked away.

‘So I’m not better.’ Sam whispered and Dean clung to him.

‘Do you think I think less of you because you’re having problems talking? Sammy I’m just happy you woke up, the fact that you can talk, know who I am, that’s enough. There’s still the therapy, you can’t just give in. Maybe one day your speech will be perfect, maybe it won’t, I don’t care and neither does Bobby. I love you kiddo.’ Dean whispered and Sam relaxed in his arms.

‘You don’t care if I’m never better?’ Sam asked shakily and Dean ruffled his hair.

‘As long as you’re with me nothing else matters.’ Dean told him and Sam managed to smile for him.
‘No you need to get some sleep; I pushed your body too hard. Probably set back your recover months if not years.’ Dean admitted and Sam just smiled at him.

‘Better that than dead or in their hands, I’m not mad. I’m just glad we got away. But what do you mean by I need to sleep? Isn’t that what my body’s doing now?’ Sam asked in confusion and Dean nodded.

‘But the rest of you needs to sleep too for your body to get all the benefits. Don’t worry; I’ll be here the whole time.’ Dean explained and Sam frowned but nodded, looking around. Dean concentrated and a bed appeared, he led Sam over to it and got him to lay down.
‘It’s okay Sammy, just go to sleep.’ Dean soothed, running his fingers through Sam’s hair. Sam just stared up at him and Dean chuckled.
‘Stubborn aren’t you?’

‘Learnt from the best.’ Sam patted the bed beside him and Dean nodded, laying out beside him before pulling Sam into his arms. Sam wriggled around a little to get comfortable and then shifted again.
‘Dean...’

‘It’s okay, want me to help?’ Dean asked and Sam looked up at him.
‘I’m in your head remember? Just go to sleep Sammy.’ He said, running his hand over Sam’s face, smiling when Sam’s eyes fluttered shut and his breathing deepened.

```````````````````````````````````````````````
“We’re there.” Bobby called and Dean blinked his.....Sam’s eyes, looking around. Sure enough they were back at the scrap yard he’d originally kidnapped the hunter from. Dean stretched, mentally checking on Sam and smiling when he found the kid still fast asleep. They got out of the car, both looking for trouble.

“I don’t think there’s any demons nearby.” Dean finally said and Bobby nodded.

“The house is trapped and warded; I’ll go in and clear you some clear paths, okay?” Bobby offered and Dean nodded. Dean leant against the porch rail as Bobby went inside, keeping an eye out for trouble. Was getting away really that easy? Dean doubted it and figured that sooner or later demons would come; Sam’s memories showed they’d known Bobby since they were kids which made him an obvious person to go to for help.
“Okay, stay on the tape marked paths and you’ll be fine. How’s Sam holding up?” Bobby asked as he let Dean in.

“Still asleep.” Dean answered as he looked around, the whole place tugging at him.

“Dean?” Bobby asked, moving closer in concern.

“I....I don’t know....it’s something....” Dean couldn’t figure out what to say and Bobby clasped his shoulder.

“You’ve spent a lot of time here over the years. The room you boys usually use is upstairs, second on the right.” Bobby told him and Dean nodded.
“Are you okay?” Bobby asked and Dean nodded again.

“Sorry, it’s just....it feels weird being here, like something I should know.” Dean ran his hands through Sam’s hair in agitation.
“So what do you do now?” Dean asked and Bobby sat down.

“Lilith isn’t gonna give up. Looks like...”

“We’re going to have to kill her, somehow.” Dean finished for him and Bobby nodded.

“Need to get you a new body too, can’t keep running around in Sam’s.”

“Yeah. Know how we go about getting a brain dead person?” Dean asked and Bobby frowned.

“Can’t you just...float round a hospital till you find one?” Bobby offered and Dean chuckled.

“You want to deal with the shocked family and staff?”

“Point but it may be the only choice.”

“Yeah...Sam’s waking up.” Dean suddenly said, feeling Sam’s presence shifting.

“Right, I better see what’s left here in the way of food.” Bobby left and Dean sat down, closing Sam’s eyes.

‘Morning Sammy.’ He called out, moving back to where he’d left Sam asleep. Hazel eyes blinked open and then Sam was smiling at him.

‘Morning. Where are we?’ Sam asked, curling up in Dean’s arms.

‘Bobby’s. Looks like we’ve lost them for now.’ Dean answered and Sam nodded.

‘Good.’ Sam murmured, content to just lie in his brother’s arms. Dean chuckled and tightened his grip.

‘Still sleepy?’ He asked and Sam shrugged.
‘Bobby’s cleared safe paths so we don’t get stuck in any traps. You want to be in the driver’s seat?’ Dean asked and Sam shook his head.

‘I’m fine here.’ Sam told him and Dean frowned.

‘You sure?’ he asked and Sam nodded.
‘Okay. We were talking about how to get me a new body so this shouldn’t be for too long.’ Dean told him and Sam stiffened.
‘Sam? What’s wrong?’

‘Why do you need another body? You can use mine always.’ Sam whispered and Dean closed his eyes, kissing the top of Sam’s head.

‘I can’t Sammy, the strain it puts on your body, it’s too much. And it’s not fair to you having me in here too.’

‘But I want you here.’ Sam whispered.

‘Sam....it’s not good for you kiddo. I won’t hurt you by staying.’ Dean told him gently.

‘Why not? My body works properly for you.’ Sam snapped, looking away and Dean sighed.

‘And it’s getting better for you. Sammy.....I just want what’s best for you. I know it’ll be weird with me looking different, again but we can deal with it.’ Dean pleaded and Sam eventually nodded, curling back into Dean, as close as he could get.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Dean ‘floated’ through the hospital, searching for the right body and then he ‘grinned’ slipping out of the vent and into the room. He flowed into the man’s mouth and suddenly the machines went crazy. Staff rushed in even as the body began to thrash, trying to remove the tube form his throat. Dean coughed as they removed the tube, feeling the weakness in the body’s muscles from lying still in bed for over six months but it wasn’t anything he couldn’t handle. It took longer than he would have liked for him to leave but the body was in was listed as a John Doe so he fed them a lie and signed out despite all the arguments. With that he headed back to Bobby’s hoping Sam would like the new body.

TBC...