Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Harry smiled as Sam slipped into his workroom, looking like a nervous student sent to the headmaster. He held out a hand and Sam practically ran to him before stopping and staring at the ground.

“Sam.” Harry called and hazel eyes came up to meet green.
“I don’t bite, I’d think you’d know that by now.” Harry teased, happy when Sam relaxed. He reached out and Sam moved instantly into his arms, letting Harry take his weight, despite being only about Dean’s height. Harry reached up a hand to gently run his fingers through Sam’s hair, helping him relax further. Sam tilted his head and Harry met him, lips moving gently against each other.
“What’s wrong?” Harry asked gently when they parted.

“Dean wants to leave in the morning. I….I don’t want to go.” Sam admitted and Harry smiled softly at him.

“It’ll be okay Sam. I have a phone, you can call whenever you want. Just because you’re leaving doesn’t mean we’ll never see each other again.” Harry assured him and Sam nodded.
“I don’t abandon my friends Sam, I’ll always be here for you.” Harry promised and Sam leant in for another kiss. He glanced over at the bed that was still there and then back at Harry who nodded.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Sam woke up, wrapped in warm arms and he smiled sleepily, snuggling in closer. He really liked being with Harry, not just because it helped with his demon blood issues but because he genuinely liked the older man. He smiled as a gentle kiss was pressed into his shoulder blades and then Harry moved to lean over him, smiling down at him.

“Good morning.” Harry whispered and Sam reached up to push Harry’s hair off his face.

“Morning.” Sam answered before his eyes locked on the silver chain Harry let dangle from his hand. On it was what looked like some sort of ancient coin…..Babylonian. Sam reached up to touch it and then looked at Harry for an explanation.

“It’s for you. Told you I’d come up with a way to help you. As long as you wear it the coin will continually drain the taint, keep it from building up again. That will free your own powers though so you’ll need to learn how to control them. Meditation would be a good way to start. It also….you ever need me just call out with your mind and I’ll hear you. I’ll be there as quick as I can.” Harry explained and Sam smiled at him, raising his head. Harry smiled and lowered the chain over Sam’s head.
“Got to say, seeing you with just my mark around your neck……how early a riser is Dean?” Harry asked and Sam laughed, pulling him down to kiss.

“He can wait.” Sam assured him.

````````````````````````````````````````````````
They watched sadly as the black Impala drove away, Hermione drooping beside him.

“I liked them.” She whispered and Harry nodded.

“We’ll see them again Mione. Sam has my number….and a coin with my mark.” He admitted and she squealed in joy before floating back into the house. Harry watched her go, smiling softly.

Hermione went up to the brothers’ room and lay over Dean’s bed. Oh if he’d only been born a century earlier or her a century later. She would have married him in a heartbeat, definitely over Ronald. She should never have married the redhead, she hadn’t truly loved him, not enough to take that step. But they’d been young and in the middle of a war, getting married had seemed the thing to do. She couldn’t truly regret it……not after Ron had given his life for hers during the final battle but they hadn’t been ready. If only she was still alive though….Dean was amazing, so kind and loyal, not to mention incredibly good looking. How many people would willingly go to hell for their brother?

Harry looked up at the guest room and smiled sadly, feeling so sorry for Hermione. If there was anyway for him to let her live again….he’d do it in a heartbeat. But his powers had taken time to grow to that stage, by then it had been too late. He needed a body to work with, her parents had cremated her before he could tell them not too. Of course she would have eventually aged and died of old age but it would have been a kinder death than the one Lucius had given her. She could have moved on and joined the others in Heaven and he would have been totally alone except for the occasional visit by Gabriel.

`````````````````````````````````````````````
Bobby got up as he heard the Impala pulled in, starting a pot of coffee since he figured Sam would need it. He didn’t know why the kid had stayed away so long but he’d let him know he was not impressed. Sam should have let him help bury Dean, no one should have to do that alone. He headed outside only to freeze in horror as Dean, not Sam got out of the drivers side. Sam joined him seconds later from the passenger seat and Bobby felt like strangling him, hadn’t Sam learnt any better after spending a year trying to break Dean’s deal?

“What the hell did you do Sam!” He yelled and Sam flinched slightly. Dean steadied him and glared at Bobby.

“Back off Bobby. Sam didn’t do anything.” Dean yelled back, moving between the hunter and his brother protectively. Bobby eyed him warily and then went back inside briefly, returning with a flask of holy water. He tossed it to Dean who caught it and drank before handing it to Sam who did the same.

“I didn’t do it Bobby, I was burying…..” Sam trailed off, closing his eyes in pain.

“It’s okay Sam, I’m here.” Dean soothed, guiding Sam up the stairs when Bobby motioned for them to come inside. They sat on the couch and Sam curled up close to Dean’s side, clinging in a way he hadn’t since Harry had first reunited them. In that instant he wanted to hit Bobby for making Sam that unsure. He wrapped an arm around Sam, noticing for the first time the odd necklace he was wearing. He had to have gotten it off Harry and while Dean was still a bit wary of the man he had seen how Sam and Harry had bonded, he didn’t think Harry would give Sam anything dangerous.

“Would someone explain how the hell Dean is back and alive? Even if his soul could be gotten out…..Dean your body was…..” Bobby couldn’t say it and Dean nodded.

“Sam you wanna start? You met him first.” Dean said and Sam nodded, reaching up to play with the chain.

“I….I was digging the grave and then….next thing I knew there was a ghost leaning over me, asking who I was and…..well she scared me. Harry came running, laughed at us and told Hermione to back off. I was so confused, I didn’t know where I was or how I’d gotten there. Harry said he’d found me passed out at the gravesite, turns out I was digging in his backyard. He’s put Dean’s….coffin in the basement. He argued a bit with the ghost, Hermione, about Harry taking silly risks and then I just got sleepy. I remember Harry telling me to sleep and then nothing till….” Sam looked over at Dean who nodded, taking a deep breath, he hadn’t said anything about hell to Sam yet, still trying to deal with it himself.

“I…..I guess I should tell you…..time is different there. It was only a few days here but for me it…….it must have been months. It was…..well it was hell and then this figure comes out of nowhere, decks the demon who’s……he said he was the rescue party but I didn’t believe him. He was so cheerful, didn’t seem to belong but I figured it was a trap then he was taking the chains away. He just told me to take his hand and….I did it. Next thing I remember is pain and feeling utterly ill. He said welcome back and if I was going to be sick not to hit the circle. There were symbols all over the floor, didn’t recognise them. He asked me how I felt, told him I ached a bit and he said Sam was there. Met Hermione, nearly scared me to death and then Harry opened a door.” Dean stopped, looking over at Sam.

Bobby sat in silence, not sure what to think of what he’d heard so far. No way was this ‘Harry’ human, not if he literally went to hell, pulled Dean out and brought him back to life. So where was the catch? Sam was acting a bit….odd. Had he done something to the kid?

“Sam was just lying on the bed, asleep. Harry helped me to the bed and then left us alone. I called out to Sam and he started waking up. He saw me and freaked.” Dean said, grinning at Sam.

“You were dead! And then you were on the bed. Anyone would freak!” Sam grumbled and Dean swatted him gently.

“Let Sam cut me with a silver knife, said Christo, and we were both lost on how I was alive. Harry came in to talk to us. He asked us what we knew about Babylonian mythology.” Dean continued. Turns out Harry’s over a hundred years old….and is descended from the Babylonian god Nergal. That’s how he got me out. Apparently he met an angel when he was younger, it helped him out so he owed it. It asked him to get me out so he did.” Dean explained and Bobby just stared in disbelief.

“And you just believed him?” Bobby demanded and Dean rolled his eyes.

“We’re not that dumb thank you Bobby. He let us do the tests, he wasn’t a demon or anything else like that. He pretty much gave us run of the house, except for a few locked rooms though he let Sam in one eventually. Sammy spent most of his time in the library researching. Weirdly I ended up with Hermione hanging around me a lot, she’s not like any ghost I’ve ever met before. It was like…..he’d paid his debt and that was it. We stayed long enough for him to be sure I was okay and then left. Though someone wanted him to come with.” Dean stared at Sam who shrugged.

“I like him, he’s easy to talk to, and we’re friends.” Sam answered, rubbing the chain again. Yep, Harry had definitely given it to him, but why?

“You sure he didn’t…..make you like him? You know you have to be careful Sam.” Bobby warned and Sam glared.

“He didn’t do anything to me that I didn’t want him to!” Sam yelled and then froze. Dean sat up, instantly alert and so was Bobby.

“Sam? What did he do?” Dean demanded and Sam moved away.
“Sammy?” Dean called, fear coiling in his gut. He got up and slowly walked towards Sam who had put his back to them, arms wrapped around his own chest. Dean put a hand on his shoulder and felt Sam tense.
“Shh, it’s okay Sammy.” Dean whispered, gently tugging Sam into his arms, needing to know Sam was unhurt. Sam remained tense for a few seconds before slumping in his arms, shaking. Dean got really scared when he felt the warm tears hit his arm.
“Sammy whatever he did you can tell me. It’ll be okay.” Dean promised and Sam turned in his arms, burying his head in Dean’s shoulder.

“Don’t hate me.” Sam whispered brokenly and Dean tightened his grip.

“Never Sam, never.” Dean swore, he looked back at Bobby who nodded and left the room. It was obvious he was gonna start researching Nergal.
“It’ll be okay Sammy, we can work whatever it is out.” Dean told him, slowly moving backwards, moving them back to the couch. His knees hit it and he sat down, bringing Sam with him.
“Come on kiddo, talk to me.”

“I….I don’t know how to…..I wanted to tell you but I was scared. Didn’t want you to hate me when I only had you for a year.” Sam whispered and Dean swallowed. So it had something to do with what? Cold Oak? Azazel?

“Sam I could never hate you. You can tell me.” Dean told him and Sam shut his eyes before nodding.

“I….at Cold Oak the demon, Azazel he came to me in a dream. There was a lot of stuff that doesn’t matter anymore but…….he showed me what happened that night.” Sam stated softly and Dean knew there could only be one night.
“Mum….she was so pretty. Dean she…she knew him. Her last words were ‘You’. But that wasn’t the worst. I know why he was there…..it was me.” Sam told him and Dean tightened his grip on him, letting him know he was there for him.

“Sammy, it’s not your fault, you were just a baby.” Dean assured him and Sam laughed tearfully.

“Yeah, a psychic freak baby. That’s why he was there, to make me his. He….he bled into my mouth. I…I have demon blood in me.” Sam choked out and Dean froze for a second before pulling Sam even more fully into his arms, cradling him close.

“I don’t care Sammy, you’re my baby brother. Demon blood or not.” Dean promised and Sam stared up at him hopefully.
“I wish you’d told me before but I get it. No more secrets, okay?” Dean asked and Sam nodded.

“Okay. So you need to know what Harry….”

“Did he hurt you?” Dean asked and Sam shook his head.
“You’ve been….”

“Different?” Sam asked and Dean nodded tensely.
“Maybe more like I used to be? Harry helped me Dean. He…..he helped drain what the blood did to me. Taint grows with time but lately…..Harry took a look, he said that it was fighting with my natural abilities, it’s why I’ve been moody lately, having headaches. The blood just gave Azazel an in, to push my own abilities towards his ends. Harry said with the taint lessened…..my powers are gonna show up again. He said meditation will help to start and then I’ll have to figure out how to control them…trial and error.” Sam explained quietly.

“But how did he….” Dean asked, confused and Sam blushed.
“Sammy?”

“Like he said, he’s a Dark God, so he…..we…..Dean….” Sam trailed off and Dean got it.

“So those two nights……..?” He asked and Sam looked down but nodded.
“You were, um….safe?” Sam went even redder.

“Magic and we’re both clean. Do you really have to know?” Sam grumbled and Dean laughed.

“As long as you’re okay. If you’re worried about the guy thing….always kind of figured you might be, doesn’t matter.” Dean assured him, smiling when Sam relaxed again.
“So the new jewellery?” He asked and Sam’s hand went to the chain and coin.

“From Harry. Since we’re not with him anymore he had to come up with another way to drain it. It’s also an emergence contact, Harry said if we’re in trouble I can call him as long as I’m wearing it he’ll hear.”

“You trust him?” Dean asked and Sam nodded.

“Yeah. I can’t explain it Dean but I know he won’t hurt us.” Sam promised and Dean nodded.

“I still don’t fully trust him…..but I trust you Sammy. So don’t take it off. You got his number too didn’t you?”

“Yeah. I like him Dean, he…..”

“He understands.” Dean whispered and Sam nodded.”
“Then call him all you want kiddo.” Dean told him and Sam smiled, deep enough to show his dimples which made Dean smile too.

TBC……