Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Dean forced himself to ignore the almost invisible scar on Sam’s throat but it was hard. It had been three months since he’d fed off Sam for the first and only time but he had craved Sam’s blood ever since. He’d made sure there were plenty of blood packs handy ever since, not wanting to risk another feed from Sam. They’d been hunting together, moving from town to town and making sure to stay far away from other hunters. John still hadn’t answered any of the messages Sam had left for him before finding Dean but they didn’t really want him to anymore, other than as a way to know he was still alive.

Sam’s powers were pretty much under control now. It had taken a lot of time and effort but Sam’s powers no longer reacted without him wanting them to. It made things a lot safer for them, made it easier for them to blend when windows didn’t randomly rattle or glasses shatter.

They’d gotten close again too, maybe even closer than they’d been before Sam had left for Stanford. Dean had thrown himself between Sam and the wendigo they’d been hunting and had gotten pretty badly mauled for his trouble. But it had bought Sam the time needed to kill the thing. He barely remembered anything after that except Sam’s panicked cries. When he’d finally woken up they’d been in a motel, Sam curled around him and fast asleep. The room had been a mess of blood stained towels, bandages and empty blood bags. He’d been too tired to do anything other than pull Sam closer, relishing his warmth as he drifted back to sleep. When he’d woken again Sam had been awake, looking at him like Dean would disappear any second. He’d also refused to let Dean out of bed for a further three days much to the vampire’s amusement.

----------------------------
“Hey Sammy, found anything yet?” Dean asked as he tossed Sam his dinner, getting a smile in thanks.

“Police are calling it suicide but then why would I be getting visions about this family?” Sam asked as he began to eat his salad, pushing the laptop towards Dean.

“Well the police don’t know what to look for.”

“Yeah but we went over that house and its history, there’s nothing there.” Sam said between bites.

“So maybe it’s the people, not the house.” Dean answered and Sam hummed in thought, rubbing absently at his forehead.

“Yeah maybe....urgh.” Sam moaned.

“Sam?” Dean called, moving instantly to his brother’s side. Sam was looking through him though, eyes unfocused and face tight with pain.
“Come on Sammy, answer me.” Dean urged and slowly Sam focused on him, looking terrified.

“It’s happening again. Something’s gonna kill Roger Miller.” Sam panted out and Dean nodded. He grabbed their gear and then helped Sam out to the car, thankful that it was night so he didn’t need to cover up against the sun. He pulled out as Sam got his phone out and dialled.

“Roger Miller....No, no, just the address, please.…Okay. Thanks.” He hung up and sighed tiredly, rubbing his forehead again.
“450 West Grove, Apartment 1120.” He said and Dean nodded, he’d heard the woman on the other end of the phone but Sam was a bit out of it at the moment.

“You okay?” Dean asked, glancing at Sam.

“Yeah.” Sam answered quietly.

“If you’re gonna hurl, I’ll pull the car over, you know, ‘cause the upholstery—“ He teased and Sam leant back in the seat.

“I’m fine.” Sam insisted.

“Alright.”

“Just drive.” Sam grumbled.

“Alright.” Dean said again and Sam sighed.

“Dean, I’m scared man. These nightmares weren’t bad enough, now I’m seein’ things when I’m awake? And these visions, or whatever, they’re getting more intense. And painful. It’s bad enough that I can move things with my mind but now this?” Sam finally said and Dean took one hand off the wheel to reach out and lay it on Sam’s arm.

“Come on, man, it’ll be alright. You’ll be fine.” He soothed.

“What is it about the Millers? Why am I connected to them? Why am I watching them die? Why the hell is this happening to me?” Sam rushed out and Dean let him, knowing Sam had been needing to get it off his chest for months.

“I don’t know, Sam, but we’ll figure it out, okay? We face the unexplainable every single day, this is just another thing.”

“No. It’s never been us. It’s never been in the family like this. Tell the truth, you can’t tell me this doesn’t freak you out.” Sam said and Dean just looked at him.

“This doesn’t freak me out. Sammy I’m a vampire, trust me I’m way freakier than you’ll ever be.” Dean answered and Sam eventually nodded but he stayed quiet for the rest of the trip.

---------------------------------
“I’m tellin’ you, there was nothing in there. There’s no signs either, just like the Millers’ house.” Dean said as they headed back to the Impala.

“I saw something in the vision, like a dark shape. Something was stalking Roger.” Sam insisted.

“Well, whatever it was, we can be sure it’s not connected to their house.” Dean told him.

“No, it’s connected to the family itself. So, what do you think we got? A vengeful spirit?” Sam asked as he got into the car.

“Yeah, there’s a few that have been known to latch onto families, follow ‘em for years.” Dean said as he got in as well, having watched Sam for any signs of dizziness when he bent and was relieved to find Sam seemed to be feeling a lot better.

“Banshees.” Sam added once Dean shut his door.

“Basically like a curse. So, maybe Roger and Jim Miller got involved in something heavy. Something curse-worthy.”

“And now something’s out for revenge. And the men in their family are dying. Hey, you think Max is in danger?” Sam asked.

“Let’s figure it out before he is.” Dean said as he started the engine.

“Well, I know one thing I have in common with these people.” Sam pointed out as Dean turned the car to head back to the motel.

“What’s that?”

“Both our families are cursed.” Sam answered and Dean rolled his eyes.

“Our family’s not cursed. We just….have our dark spots.” Dean told him and Sam laughed.

“Our dark spots are pretty dark.” Sam told him and Dean shrugged.

-------------------------
“Have you lived in the neighbourhood very long?” Sam asked the man they were interviewing. Dean was behind him, trying to remain as unnoticed as possible due to how dressed he was considering the temperature.

“Yeah, almost twenty years now. It’s nice and quiet. Why, you lookin’ to buy?” The guy asked.

“No, no, actually, we were just wondering if you might recall a family that used to live right across the street, I believe.” Sam told him.

“Yeah, the Millers. They had a little boy named Max.” Dean finally spoke up.

“Right.” Sam said and the man suddenly looked sad.

“Yeah, I remember. The brother had the place next door.” He pointed the house out.
“So, uh, what’s this about? That poor kid okay?”

“What do you mean?” Sam asked, frowning at the question.

“Well, in my life, I’ve never seen a child treated like that. I mean, I’d hear Mr. Miller yellin’ and throwin’ things clear across the street. He was a mean drunk. He used to beat the tar out of Max. Bruises—broke his arm two times that I know of.”

“And this was going on regularly?” Sam couldn’t believe it, why hadn’t Max been taken out of the home?

“Practically every day. In fact, that thug brother of his was just as likely to take a swing at the boy, but the worst part was the stepmother. She’d just stand there, checked out, never lifted a finger to protect him. I must have called the police seven or eight times, never did any good.”

“Now, you said stepmother.” Dean prodded.

“I think his real mom died. Some sort of accident—a car accident, I think.” The man focused on Sam again.
“Are you okay, there?” He asked as Sam clutched at his head, breathing heavily.

“Yeah.” Sam answered.

“Thanks for your time.” Dean told him, moving over to help Sam back towards the car.

“Yeah, thanks.” Sam mumbled, leaning heavily on Dean and letting his brother lower him into the car.

-----------------------------------
“You okay?” Dean asked and Sam nodded shakily.

“And no, I’m not gonna throw up. I can’t believe it was Max all this time.” Sam mumbled, sipping at the water Dean had gotten him.

“How’s he pulling it off?” Dean asked and Sam shut his eyes.

“Same way I summoned the remote last night.” Sam answered softly.

“So he’s telekinetic and using it to kill his family.”

“And the step-mom’s next.” Sam finished, praying for his head to stop pounding before they got there.
“I didn’t even realize it, but this whole time he was there. He was outside of the garage when his dad died, he was in the apartment when his uncle died. These visions, this whole time, I wasn’t connecting to the Millers, I was connecting to Max. The thing I don’t get is why, man? I guess because we’re so alike?”

“What are you talking about? The dude’s nothing like you.” Dean told him firmly.

“Well, we both have psychic abilities. We’re both—“ Sam started but Dean cut him off.

“Both what? Sam, Max is a monster. He’s already killed two people, and now he’s gunnin’ for a third.” Dean told him firmly.

“Well, with what he went through—the beatings. To want revenge on those people, I’m sorry, man, I hate to say it, but it’s not that insane.”

“Yeah, but it doesn’t justify murdering your entire family.” Dean snarled, fighting to keep his other teeth from dropping down.

“Dean—“

“He’s no different than anything else we’ve hunted. Alright, we’ve gotta end him.” Dean parked opposite the Miller house.

“We’re not gonna kill Max.” Sam insisted.

“Then what? I hand him over to the cops and say, ‘Lock him up, officer, he kills with the power of his mind.’”

“Forget it. No way, man.”

“Sam—“

“Dean. He’s a person. We can talk to him. Hey, promise me you’ll follow my lead on this one.” Sam demanded and Dean sighed.

“Alright, fine. But I’m not lettin’ him hurt anybody else.” He got his gun form the glovebox.

-----------------------------
“Are you sure you’re okay?” Dean insisted as he watched Sam slowly pack his bag.

“I’m not the one who had a gun pointed at his head.” Sam answered and Dean smiled.

“Yeah, but it’s not like it’d kill me.” Dean said as he started packing his own things.

“Maybe not, still not something I like to see.”

“Sam....Max made his choice, it’s not your fault.” Dean whispered, seeing how tense Sam was. He reached out to lay a hand on Sam’s shoulder, feeling his brother shaking slightly.
“Hey, it’s okay.” Dean soothed, pulling Sam closer.

“Dean I’m scared.” Sam whispered.

“It’s gonna be okay, I won’t let anything happen to you.”

TBC...