Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Dean did his best to cheer Sam up after the mess with the Miller’s but he stayed withdrawn for several weeks, no matter what Dean did. He hated seeing Sam blame himself that way but nothing he said or did made it better. Dean knew that Sam was scared, he was too but there was nothing they could do about it except be on guard and watch out for watch other. Dean kept them away from any hunts that looked too dangerous, not wanting either of them to get hurt with Sam so distracted. Unfortunately it didn’t take Sam long to pick up on that.

“Dean there’s a hunt.” Sam argued and Dean sighed, fighting the urge for his second set of teeth to lower in his anger.

“Damn it Sam! I know that, I also know that your head isn’t in the right place for it. I am not letting you get hurt.” Dean snapped at him and Sam surprised him by stepping back slightly, a look of pain in his eyes and Dean slumped.
“Sammy I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to snap at you. I’m just worried.” Dean whispered, reaching out and Sam let him tug him into a hug.
“We okay?” He asked softly and Sam nodded against his shoulder, clinging to him. Dean sighed, breathing in Sam’s scent and making himself ignore the sound of Sam’s heart pounding in his ears. He needed to eat but not until he was sure Sam was okay.

“You’re hungry.” Sam whispered and Dean shrugged. It was amazing how quickly Sam had learnt to read the new signs of Dean’s body but it was also encouraging.
“I’ll grab you a bag.” Sam pulled back and went to the small bar fridge before frowning.

“Sam?” Dean called and Sam let him see the inside of the fridge.
“Someone was here.” Dean stated as they looked at the destroyed blood bags.
“But how, I didn’t smell anything.” Dean looked around, worried, and Sam closed his eyes, trying to detect anyone as well.
“We need to go, now.” Dean stated and Sam nodded. They gathered their things and ran for it, hitting the road. Sam pulled over a few hours later, looking around.

“Great, middle of nowhere. How’re you feeling?” Sam asked and Dean stared out the window.

“Hungry.” He admitted and Sam turned the engine off.
“Sam.” He warned and then Sam was sliding across the seat and into his personal space.

“We’re hours from anywhere Dean. Better to do it now then when you’re even hungrier.”

“I can’t!” Dean yelled, grabbing for the door handle but the door locked and he turned to snarl at Sam whose eyes had shifted to yellow.
“Damn it Sam let me out!” Dean yelled and Sam shook his head. Dean jerked back as the scent of fresh blood hit his nose, looking down he saw the knife in Sam’s hand and the line of blood on Sam’s arm.
“No.” Dean moaned, throwing himself against the door, his eyes locked on the line of blood.

“Shh Dean, its okay. You need it.” Sam soothed, reaching out to him.

“No, no, no.” Dean muttered, shaking his head.
“Can’t Sammy. Please let me out. Can’t hurt you.” Dean murmured, his teeth down.

“Dean it didn’t hurt that much, its okay I want to help.”

“Nooo.” Dean moaned and Sam frowned, something was wrong.

“Dean tell me what’s wrong. We’ve got Dead Man’s Blood if you want me to hold it but I know I won’t need it.” Sam whispered, reaching out to gently touch Dean’s cold skin. Dean shuddered, moaning in what sounded like pain.

“Your blood, it’s different, better.” Dean choked and Sam smiled shakily. So his blood tasted different from other peoples, great.

“It’s okay Dean, I know you can stop.” Dean assured him and then moved, straddling Dean and placing his arm against Dean’s mouth. Dean choked back a sob but couldn’t help it as his tongue darted out to lick the blood. His mouth latched onto Sam’s arms around the wound and he began to suck at it, pulling the blood out, his saliva acting as an anti-coagulant to make the blood flow quicker.

Sam held himself still, clenching his jaw shut to keep from making a noise when Dean’s sharp teeth sliced into his skin. While the scar would be harder to hide the wound would be easier to bandage then his neck if he had to pry Dean’s teeth out. He shifted closer in Dean’s lap, moving his free hand to gently cup Dean’s head, getting a warning growl that tapered off when Sam simply started stroking his fingers through Dean’s short hair. Sam closed his eyes, trying to figure out how long to let Dean feed for. He knew he couldn’t risk passing out in case Dean couldn’t pull back on his own, Sam didn’t want Dean to face the choice of watching him die or changing him. Sam smiled when Dean started a noise that sounded suspiciously like purring, gently stroking down Dean neck, soothing him. Dean’s eyes rolled up to look at him and Sam saw recognition flood them. Dean took one last swallow and then very carefully removed his teeth from Sam’s arm, placing a hand over the wound to try and stop the bleeding. He looked around and then grabbed the small first aid kit they kept in the glove box, pulling out gauze and bandages. He wrapped Sam’s arm as carefully as if Sam was made of glass and then used a spare bit to wipe his own mouth clean.

“Sammy?” Dean whispered shakily, not looking at him and Sam used the hand on Dean’s neck to tug him forward, their foreheads touching.

“Look at me Dean, its okay, I’m alright.” Sam promised and Dean slowly raised his eyes. Sam smiled softly at him, rubbing his now warmer skin and Dean shuddered in self disgust. Sam wrapped both arms around him, ignoring the pain in his arm in favour of comforting Dean, hugging him close. Dean tried to get free but Sam held on until he slumped, letting Sam hold him.
“It’s okay, love you Dean.” Sam whispered in his ear and Dean choked back a sob, clinging to him.

“M’sorry, love you Sammy.” Dean whimpered.

“It’s okay Dean, its okay. You stopped all on your own this time, without me asking you too. See? You did fine.” Sam praised him and Dean nodded, raising his head to stare at Sam.

“You….you really….” Dean couldn’t say it and Sam nodded.

“I trust you Dean. I know you could never hurt me. I don’t mind you drinking my blood when you need it. You always look after me; this is a way for me to help look after you too.” Sam told him.
“Now I could use a steak and some sleep so mind if we swap seats?” Sam asked and Dean nodded, checking his pulse.
“I’m fine Dean, not even dizzy. Just haven’t had dinner yet.” Sam assured him.

“Okay, dinner here we come.” Dean promised.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Kugel’s Keg?” Sam snorted in amusement and Dean shrugged, leading the way inside. Hibbing had been the first town Dean had found an exit for and he was getting Sam that steak and a nice semi-comfy bed as soon as he could. He ordered for them and then started a game of darts, keeping a close eye on Sam who had pulled out Dad’s journal to flip through. The food arrived and Sam dug in, still reading while he ate.
“Hey Dean?” He called out and Dean stopped his game.

“What is it?”

“Dad marked the area in his journal.” Sam stated, pointing to the entry. Dean leant in to read over his shoulder.

“Possible hunting grounds for a phantom attacker.” Dean read out loud.
“Why would he even do that?”

“Well, he found a lot of local folklore about a dark figure that comes out at night. Grabs people, then vanishes. He found this too-this county has more missing persons per capita than anywhere else in the state.” Sam explained as he flipped through the research John had collected.

“That is weird.” Dean commented.

“Yeah.” Sam put the journal aside to eat.

“So you want to stick around and see if we can find this thing?” Dean asked and Sam pointed at the newspaper an older man was reading.

“Looks like it could be our sort of job.” He pointed out as Dean read the article from half way across the room. A Mr. Jenkins had vanished form the parking lot just three days ago.

“Don't phantom attackers usually snatch people from their beds? Jenkins was taken from a parking lot.” Dean asked and Sam shrugged.

“Well, there are all kinds. You know, Springhill Jacks, phantom gassers. They take people anywhere, anytime. Look, Dean, I don't know if this is our kind of gig either.” Sam shrugged and Dean sighed.

“Yeah, you're right, we should ask around tomorrow.” Dean told him and Sam grinned.

“Right.” He took out his wallet to pay for his dinner.
“I saw a motel about five miles back.”

“Whoa, whoa, easy. Let's have another round.” Dean argued, not quite ready to turn in yet.

“We should get an early start.” Sam argued and Dean saw the kid was really tired….and a little pale. He felt a flash of self-hatred at that; it was his fault Sam was pale after all.

“Yeah, you really know how to have fun, don't you, Grandma?” He teased half-heartedly and Sam smiled at him.
“I’ll meet you there, gonna…” he trailed off and Sam nodded, knowing he was going to go grab some blood from the local hospital.

“Be careful.” Sam warned and Dean nodded.

“Always am.” Dean promised as Sam grabbed his coat and headed out to the parking lot. Hearing a noise Sam stopped and looked around. He bent to look under a car and laughed, it was a cat. Apparently those entries had made him a little jumpy. He shook his head and put the journal on the trunk, digging through his pockets for the keys.

Dean walked towards the Impala, frowning when he saw their Dad’s journal on the ground and no sign of Sam. He put the cooler of blood bags down and looked around.

“Sam?” He called but there was no answer. He took a deep breath, searching for Sam’s scent but it was old. Seeing a couple nearby he approached.
“Hey, you guys been outside, around here in the last hour or so?” He asked and they shook their heads, walking away.
“Sam!” He yelled, looking around frantically.
“Sammy!” He turned around and spotted the traffic camera on top of a streetlight. He walked into the middle of the deserted road and looked around, trying to figure out where Sam had gone….and what had taken him but the scents were too muddled.
“Sam.” He whispered, hugging the journal to his chest. The only thing he could be thankful for was that he couldn’t smell Sam’s blood around so he’d been relatively unharmed. He took a deep breath and then got in the Impala. He wanted to go looking for Sam but he needed some idea of what had him before he got them both killed.

He got the laptop out and started searching for information on all the previous disappearances. There was no real pattern to them; sometimes there was a break for nearly a year, other times several in one month. It didn’t really make sense. He finally gave upas the sun began to rise, downing several of the bags before dressing in several layers to protect himself from the sun and heading out. He went on foot, leaving the town to start his search for Sam.

Several hours later he was heading down an old dirt road, running faster than any human could and locked onto Sam’s scent. He couldn’t smell any fear but there was an odd smell, chloroform, so Sam was most probably unconscious when in transport. He turned off at an abandoned looking driveway, keeping to the trees and out of sight. He found an old farmhouse, barn and a lot of cars. Looking them over he realised some belonged to people who had gone missing in the area. He growled as he heard a familiar voice cry out in pain and then the scent of Sam’s blood coming from the barn. He ran for it, easily slipping inside. To his surprise the figures taunting and prodding Sam were human, that made things easier for him though.

Sam bit back another cry, glaring at the men surrounding his cage. His head was still too fuzzy from the drugs to focus on using his telekinesis to free himself. He didn’t even know what had happened, he remembered going to the car and then waking up in the cage. A sudden snarl had him raising his head as his tormentors paused. He smiled as he recognised the sound, Dean had found him.

“Dean.” He slurred, letting his eyes close and the darkness swallow him. Dean would save him.

Dean saw Sam slump, unconscious, and attacked. He ripped the prod from the guy, taking his hand with it. The man fell to the floor, screaming in agony as Dean went for the older man, sinking his teeth in his neck and drinking deeply. When he’d taken as much as he could he snapped his neck. He went back and did the same to the guy missing the hand, ending his pain. He waited in case the sound drew others but the house stayed quiet so he went to work on getting Sam out of the cage. Thankfully the old man had the key so Dean used it to open the door and then he gently pulled Sam out, cradling him to his chest. Sam whimpered slightly in pain and Dean hushed him.

“Shh, it’s okay Sammy, just me. I’m getting you out of here.” He promised, leaving the barn. He hid Sam in the trees and then headed back, setting the barn alight. Then he picked Sam back up and headed back to town, slower than he had originally travelled since he had precious cargo. He got Sam back to the room and laid him down on the bed before grabbing the first aid kit to clean and bandage Sam’s injuries. Once he was done he changed Sam into a clean t-shirt and sweats before cleaning himself up and getting into bed, curling around Sam.

He was considering taking Sam to the hospital thirteen hours later when his brother finally began to stir. Sam whimpered and went still and Dean wrapped his arms around his waist, nuzzling the back of his neck to drink in his scent.

“It’s okay Sammy, I’ve got you. You’re safe.” Dean soothed and Sam relaxed in his arms, wriggling around so that he could bury his face in Dean’s chest.
“Hey, it’s okay, talk to me kiddo.”

“Knew you’d save me.” Sam choked out; clinging to him and Dean felt the hot tears soak through his shirt.

“Shh, let it out Sam. I’ve got you.” Dean felt like crying himself, he’d come way to close to losing Sam.
“They won’t hurt anyone else.” Dean promised and Sam looked up at him with red rimmed eyes.

“You…..killed them?” Sam asked and Dean nodded, waiting nervously for Sam’s reaction but Sam just burrowed closer.

“Good.” Sam whispered, shocking Dean.
“They looked human but they weren’t, they were monsters. They’ve been hunting, killing and eating people for generations.” Sam told him and Dean felt even better about what he’d done. Sam moved and bit back a pained noise.

“Take it easy, you’ve got a few cuts and burns. I cleaned them up but they’ll be painful for a while. I was getting worried; you’ve been out for over twelve hours.” Dean admitted and Sam nodded.

“Sorry.”

“Yeah well for now on we’re sticking together. No more splitting up.” Dean said and Sam laughed but nodded.

“No argument. I couldn’t do anything cause of the drugs. I was so scared.” Sam admitted and Dean kissed the top of his head.

“Just relax Sam, get some more sleep if you need it.” Dean whispered and Sam nodded, cuddling in and using Dean’s chest as a pillow.

TBC…