Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Disclaimer: Not mine.

Chapter 7


He smirked as he realised where all three Winchesters were headed. All his attempts to drive the brothers apart had been useless. Only young Samuel would ever trust a vampire enough to let it drink from him, even if the thing had once been his brother. He’d destroyed their blood supplies, had even pushed Sam’s blood into fully awakening far too early to bring in certain instincts and yet they still stuck together. Daddy Winchester would make things interesting, would probably even remove the obstacle of the vampire from his plans for him. All he had to do was sit back and watch the family destroy itself and then swoop in and claim Sam.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Looks like the maid didn't come today.” Dean commented as he looked around. Sam crouched down by the front door and ran his fingers through something.

“Hey, there's salt over here - right inside the door.” He called out as Dean moved further inside.

“You mean, like, protection-against-demons salt, or, uh, "Oops, I spilled the popcorn" salt?” The vampire called out and Sam shook his head in amusement.

“It's clearly a ring. You think this guy, Elkins, was a player?” He answered as Dean picked something up.

“Definitely.” Dean answered and Sam got up, moving to join him.

“That looks a hell of a lot like Dad's.” Sam commented as Dean flipped through the journal.

“Yeah, except this dates back to the sixties.” Dean pointed out before putting it down.

“Whatever attacked him, it looks like there was more than one.” Sam commented as they entered what appeared to be an office and Dean paused, sniffing the air.
“Dean?”

“Looks like he put up a hell of a fight, too.” His brother added and Sam stared at him.
“Smells…..Sam you should get out of town.

“Why?”

“Because I won’t risk you!”

“Dean calm down. What did you smell?” Sam soothed, wrapping his arms around Dean to help calm him.

“Vampires. Vampires did this.” Dean admitted and Sam hugged him tighter.

“It’ll be okay Dean, I can take care of myself you know.” Sam assured him and Dean nodded.

“Yeah.” Dean finally agreed and they went back to searching the room. Dean found a box obviously designed to hold a gun and bullets but it was empty. He looked down and frowned at the floor. He knelt down to get a better look.

“You got somethin'?” Sam asked as he put the papers he’d been looking through down.

“I don't know, just some scratches in the floor.”

“Death throes, maybe?”

“Yeah, maybe.” He grabbed a piece of paper and a pencil from Elkins' desk, placing the paper on the floor, on top of the scratches, and began to quickly move the pencil back and forth over the paper. When he was done, he looked at it carefully.
“Or maybe a message.” He handed the paper to Sam.
“Look familiar?”

“Three letters, six digits - the location and combination of a post office box. It's a mail drop.”

“That's just the way Dad does it.” Dean pointed out and Sam nodded.
“Looks like we’ve got everything that’s here to find. You need to get some sleep. You can check it in the morning.”

“I can? What will you be doing?” Sam asked as they headed back to the car.

“Checking to see if I can find the nest, I can pose as a loner passing through, wanting to know if I can hunt without pissing off the locals, that sort of thing.” Dean explained and Sam frowned.
“I’ll be fine Sam; they’d have no reason to suspect me.”

“Just be careful.”

`````````````````````````````````````````````
Sam turned the combination lock, opening the box and reached inside to pull out the single envelope. He looked at it and stared in shock for a second before leaving and heading for the car. Dean hadn’t wanted to leave Sam without transport and he knew the vampires would smell the weapons in it. Sam got in and stared at the envelope.

“J.W. -John Winchester?” Sam whispered and then jumped as someone knocked on his window. Sam turned and then stared in shock and horror, though he was able to keep the standing outside.
“Dad?” Sam stared in confusion as John got in behind him, turning to face him since Sam did not feel comfortable with his Dad behind him.
“Dad, what are you doing here? Are you all right?” Sam demanded.

“Yeah. I'm okay. Look, I read the news about Daniel. I got here as fast as I could. I saw you and Dean up at his place.” John explained.

“Why didn't you come in, Dad?” Sam asked, despite the fact his coming in would have been bad. He could hide his powers, how the hell would they hide Dean’s new diet?

“You know why - because I had to make sure you weren't followed, by anyone, or anything. Nice job of covering your tracks, by the way.” John offered and Sam shrugged, they’d gotten really good at it since that little run in with that Walker guy.

“Wait, so, you came all the way out here for this Elkins guy?” Sam asked and saw his Dad’s expression turn sad.

“Yeah. He was... he was a good man. He taught me a hell of a lot about hunting.”

“You never mentioned him to us.” Sam pushed and John looked uncomfortable.

“We had, uh... we had kind of a falling out. I hadn't seen him in years.” He admitted before looking at the letter still in Sam’s hand.
“I should look at that.” Sam handed it over.
"’If you're reading this, I'm already dead.’ That son of a bitch.” John growled and Sam straightened.

“What is it?”

“He had it the whole time.”

“Dad, what?”

“When you searched the place, did you see a gun? An antique - a Colt revolver, did you see it?” John demanded and Sam frowned, thinking it over.

“Dean found an old case, but it was empty.”

“They have it.”

“You mean, whatever killed Elkins?” Sam asked, hoping John didn’t know what had killed the hunter. If he didn’t know about vampires then hiding what Dean was would be a lot easier. Sam held no illusions about how John would react to the truth about either of them and he didn’t want to have to fight him.

“We've got to pick up the trail.” John said, starting to get out.
“Where’s Dean?”

“Checking a few things out. You want us with you? After a year with no word? I called you after…you never answered.” Sam argued.

“If Elkins was tellin' the truth, we've got to find this gun.” John snapped and Sam glared.

“The gun? Why?”

“Because it's important, that's why.”

“Dad, we don't even know what these things are yet.” Sam argued, feeling no shame in lying when John wouldn’t even say why he’d ignored Sam’s calls.

“They were what Daniel Elkins killed best - vampires.” John stated and Sam’s heart plummeted. He had to play dumb and pray John was having an off week.

“Vampires? I thought there was no such thing. You never even mentioned them, Dad.”

“I thought they were extinct. I thought Elkins and others had wiped 'em out. I was wrong.” John explained, finally getting out.
“Get Dean and meet me here.” John handed over the address before leaving and Sam slumped in his seat. He got his phone out and then paused, he couldn’t risk calling and blowing whatever cover Dean had so instead he drove back to their room to wait. After an hour he lay down and closed his eyes, he’d wanted to try something for a while. He calmed himself as much as he could and then focused on Dean, trying to find his thoughts. Sam figured if he could hear Dean’s thought, why couldn’t he send thoughts to him? Wasn’t that how comics showed telepathy? It took forever but finally he heard something sort of wispy and fought to focus on it. Suddenly he knew where Dean was, he was with the nest.

‘Sam?’ Came the shocked thought and Sam grinned.

‘Dean, can you hear me?’ He thought and he could feel Dean’s astonishment.

‘Yeah. How?’

‘No time. Dad’s in town, wants us to meet him. Can you get out?’

‘Yeah, told them I was shacking up with a tasty treat at the moment. Be there soon.’

``````````````````````````````````````
Dean walked into the motel room and frowned when he didn’t see Sam, he relaxed wen he heard his heartbeat coming from the bathroom.

“Sam?” He called and Sam kicked the door open. That was when the faint scent of blood hit him.
“Sammy!” He yelled and Sam turned to him, holding a tissue beneath his nose.
“What happened?” Dean asked as he took over holding the pressure on Sam’s nose.

“Pushed too hard to reach you. Nose started bleeding.” Sam answered, sounding funny due to the pressure on his nose.

“Shit. Come on, let’s sit down.” Dean murmured, walking Sam over to the bed.

“M’fine.” Sam mumbled and Dean removed the tissue, frowning as more blood leaked out so he grabbed a new tissue.

“Just relax Sam, want to tell me what’s going on. You said Dad’s here?” Dean asked and Sam nodded, cuddling in to Dean’s side and Dean wrapped his arms around him.

“Showed up after I got the mail drop, it was a letter addressed to Dad. Something about that empty gun case, the gun is important but Dad didn’t say why. He wants our help and he knows its vampires. He’ll know Dean.” Sam explained and Dean sighed.

“We can’t just ignore him though, that’ll make him more suspicious.” Dean argued and Sam nodded.

“Dean….”

“It’ll be okay, we’ll figure it out.”

`````````````````````````````````````````
John opened the door as he heard the Impala pull up, his boys getting out. He frowned as he noticed how pale Dean was, a bandage around his head. That was not good, looked like he was concussed and had probably lost a bit of blood. That would make things a lot harder but Dean had worked with a concussion before.

“Hey boys.” He called and they both managed smiles for him.

“Hey Dad.” Dean called and John nodded at the son he hadn’t seen in several years. He’d gotten really worried when Dean had just up and vanished after a hunt but then word had reached him that his sons had been spotted hunting together so he’d relaxed again. He let them into the old rundown house he’d been using and they sat down to watch him attentively.

“Sam said you were checking out leads, find anything?” John asked and Dean shook his head before wincing.

“Other then getting whacked on the head?” He grumbled and Sam pushed him to lie down.

“Want more pain killers?” Sam asked but Dean indicated no.

“You up for this?” John asked and Dean shrugged.

“I’ll be fine Dad.” Dean knew faking a head wound probably wasn’t the best idea but it was the best thing they could come up with in the time they had. It would explain his sleepiness and grumpiness during the day as well as some of his paleness, as long as John didn’t touch him.

`````````````````````````````````````````````
“So far so good.” Dean commented as he drove and Sam nodded. Dean was driving since it was a well known fact that he never let Sam drive the Impala. They pulled up and parked, John parking beside them and then they headed through the trees until they spotted the barn. They watched as a car pulled up and a man got out, walking towards the barn as another man opened the door.

“I know what time it is.” They heard the man say as.

“Get in.” they watched as the two went inside.

“Direct sunlight hurts like a nasty sunburn. The only way to kill them is by beheading. And, yeah, they sleep during the day. It doesn't mean they won't wake up.” John explained, not knowing the boys were very aware of those facts.

“So I guess walking right in's not our best option.” Dean offered and John shook his head.

“Actually, that's the plan.” He answered and Dean mentally swore, seeing Sam hide a grin at his language use. He’d interacted with several of the vampires the day before, if they said anything in John’s hearing…. They got up and followed him back to the cars. They opened the trunks and began getting weapons out. Dean took out a large knife and extended it to John.

“Dad, I got an extra machete if you need one.” He offered, watching in fear as John pulled out a much larger one.

“Think I'm okay. Thanks.”

“Wow.” He commented, that would take his head off in one blow!

“So... you boys really wanna know about this Colt?” John asked and they stopped what they were doing to stare at him in surprise.

“Yes, sir.” Sam answered.

“It's just a story - a legend, really. Well, I thought it was. Never really believed it until I read Daniel's letter. Back in 1835, when Halley's Comet was overhead, the same night those men died at the Alamo, they say Samuel Colt made a gun - a special gun. He made it for a hunter - a man like us, only on horseback. The story goes he made thirteen bullets. This hunter used the gun a half dozen times before he disappeared, the gun along with him. Somehow, Daniel got his hands on it. They say- they say this gun can kill anything.” John explained and two hurts sank, kill anything?

“Kill anything, like, supernatural anything?” Dean asked, masking his fear.
“Like the demon.”

“Yeah, the demon. Ever since I picked up its trail, I've been lookin' for a way to destroy that thing. Find the gun... we may have it.” John explained and that was definitely good news, except for the part it could kill them too.

``````````````````````````````````````````````
Dean and Sam snuck in through a window, and then closed it behind them. They looked around and saw a lot of vampires sleeping in hammocks set up around the room. They were both happy that John had taken the back entrance to look elsewhere. Dean tried to duck under a hammock and accidentally kicked a glass bottle and hit the hammock instead. Thankfully the vampire didn’t wake up.

In another room John found Luther and Kate asleep in their bed together. In a leather case next to the bed was the Colt revolver. John cautiously started down the steps leading into the bedroom. Luther and Kate rolled over but did not wake up.

Sam knelt by a woman tied to a pole, moving to untie her as Dean approached a cage full of people.

“There's more.” He whispered and Sam nodded. Dean grabbed a crowbar and broke the lock, waiting to see if the other vampires would wake up but they didn’t. Sam continued working on the ropes and then Dean turned to him, frowning.
“Sam no!” He called but it was too late. The woman screamed and Sam jumped away from her even as the vampires woke. In the bedroom Luther woke up and saw John, throwing him into the wall. John grabbed an empty liquor bottle and hurled it at the bedroom window.

“Boys, run!” he yelled as he made for an exit. Dean and Sam took off, closely followed by the vampires until Sam turned and telekinetically threw them back towards the barn. They made it back to the cars and looked around for John.

“Dad?!” Dean yelled but there was no answer and Dean couldn’t smell him.
“Dad!” Seconds later John appeared, coming form downwind so that explained why Dean hadn’t smelt him.

“They won't follow. They'll wait 'til tonight. Once a vampire gets your scent, it's for life.” John told them.

“What the hell do we do now?” Dean demanded, if it was just him and Sam…..they could take the nest pretty easily but with their Dad?

“You got to find the nearest funeral home, that's what.” John answered and Dean flinched slightly but nodded. It figured that he’d be the one sent to get the dead man’s blood.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````
John watched as Sam paced, amused by it.

“It shouldn't be taking this long. I should go help.” Sam said, going to grab his jacket.

“Dean's got it.” John stated but Sam didn’t answer.
“Sammy...” He trailed off and Sam stopped pacing, glancing over at him.

“Yeah?”

“I don't think I ever told you this, but... the day you were born, you know what I did?” John asked and Sam frowned in confusion.

“No.” Sam answered and John smiled slightly.

“I put a hundred bucks into a savings account for you. I did the same thing for your brother. It was a college fund. And every month, I'd put in another hundred dollars, until...Anyway, my point is, Sam, that... this is never the life that I wanted for you.” John admitted and Sam sat down.

“Then why'd you get so mad when I left?” He whispered, wishing they could have had this talk years ago.

“You got to understand something. After your mother passed, all I saw was evil, everywhere. And all I cared about was keeping you boys alive. I wanted you prepared - ready. So, somewhere along the line, I, uh... I stopped being your father. And I-I became your drill sergeant. So, when you said that you wanted to go away to school, all I could think about- my only thought was that you were gonna be alone... vulnerable. Sammy, it just- it never occurred to me what you wanted. I just couldn't accept the fact that you and me... we're just different.” John admitted and Sam laughed, tears in his eyes.
“What?”

“We're not different. Not anymore. With what happened to Mom and Jess... we probably have a lot more in common than just about anyone.” Sam admitted.

“I guess you're right, son.” John admitted and Sam smiled half-heartedly.

“Hey, Dad? Whatever happened to that college fund?”

“I spent it on ammo.” He admitted and they both laughed, Sam finally relaxing as Dean walked in.

“Whew! Man, there's some heavy security to protect a bunch of dead guys.” Dean stated as he sat beside Sam, arms brushing.

“Did you get it?” John asked and Dean pulled a paper bag out of his pocket. He took out the jar of blood and handed it over.

`````````````````````````````````
Sam had the hood of the impala open and was leaning in as if looking for a problem. John had originally wanted Dean to play bait but Sam had pointed out he had a head injury so John had relented and let Sam do it.

“Car trouble? Let me give you a lift. I'll take you back to my place.” A female offered and Sam turned to see Kate.

“Nah, I'll pass. I usually draw the line at necrophilia.” Sam answered with a smirk.

“Ooh.” She punched him and Sam went with it, rolling back to his feet. Kate grabbed him and lifted him off the ground despite their height differences.
“You know, we could have some fun. I always like to make new friends.” She offered and the vampire behind her smirked. She lowered him and kissed him, making Sam snarl softly and his eyes flash but thankfully no one but Dean noticed.

“Sorry. Not looking for long term right now - definitely not eternity.” Sam spat.

“Damn it.” Kate sore as she and Hank were shot, Dean and John emerging from the trees.
“Barely even stings.”

“Give it time, sweetheart. That arrow's soaked in dead man's blood. It's like poison to you, isn't it?” John taunted even as Kate collapsed into Sam’s arms.
“Load her up. I'll take care of this one.” Sam walked over to John’s truck while John went to deal with Hank.

“You okay?” Sam whispered and Dean nodded, staring at Kate to avoid seeing what was happening to Hank. Would that be his fate if John found out? Sam reached over and squeezed his hand in comfort.

John glanced up from the vampire he’d just beheaded and frowned as he saw Sam holding Dean’s hand. What the hell? Since when did Dean let that happen? Something very odd was going on with them; they weren’t possessed at least but something…

`````````````````````````````````````
“Boo.” Dean grinned as he took the shocked Bo’s head off. He took out another one, glancing at Sam who was having a pretty easy time since he could toss them around without getting close. Dean was being treated to pissed of snarls as they recognised him but he kept his own teeth hidden, not wanting to scare the still caged humans.

“I told you I'd come back.” He called as he set to work on the locks. He got them put and pushed them towards the cars the vampires would no longer need. They avoided Sam and took off for town.
“You okay?” Dean asked and Sam nodded.

“Come on, Dad’ll need backup.” Sam headed out with Dean on his heels. As they reached the road they saw John on the ground and Luther advancing. Sam brought his crossbow up and fired, hitting one in the chest. Luther hit Sam who grabbed his arm and punched him. Sam held his own for a bit but then Luther began choking him.

“Don't! I'll break his neck. Put the blade down.” Luther snarled as Dean grabbed a blade. Dean froze, blade in mid air. He watched as Sam gasped for air, feet hanging in the air as he struglled, eyes flashing between hazel and yellow.
“You people - why can't you just leave us alone? We have as much right to live as you do.” Luther snarled and then frowned as he stared at Dean.
“Why are you…”

“Let my brother go.” Dean demanded even as he put the blade down.

“I don't think so.” John stated and Luther turned to find the Colt aimed at him. John fired, the bullet hitting Luther in the centre of his forehead. He dropped Sam and Dean darted in to help Sam away, rubbing his back as he held him at his side. A trickle of blood ran down Luther’s nose. Everyone watched as he sank to his knees.

“Luther!” Kate screamed in denial. There was a flash of light and then Luther slumped to the ground, truly dead. Kate lunged at John, knocking him down. He struggled against her and then she was gone. He looked up to see Dean fighting her even as Sam rushed to his side, helping him up.

“Dad you okay?” Sam asked and John nodded, watching his eldest go toe to toe with the vampire……something that wasn’t humanly possible. She knocked Dean down and John froze as he heard his son snarl before slamming into her. When they broke apart John fired, killing her and then he levelled the gun at Dean who froze, eyes wide as he stared at him. All John could stare at were the vampire teeth in Dean’s mouth.

“Dad.” Dean whispered and it all clicked for him. Dean hadn’t had a head injury, he’d been hiding what he was.

“Dad don’t!” Sam yelled, moving towards him but freezing when John started tightening his grip on the trigged.
“Don’t you dare shoot him.”

“Sammy don’t, stay back.” Dean snapped, seeing Sam trying to get between them.

“How long?” John demanded and Dean sighed, his teeth receding.

“Couple of years.” He admitted and John glanced at Sam who was staring at him in horror.

“And you?” John asked.

“Sammy’s not. He’s still alive Dad.” Dean answered.

“You shoot him and I’ll kill you Dad.” Sam snapped, hands fisted.

“You knew?” John demanded and Sam rolled his eyes.

“Little hard to hide when we live in such close quarters. Dad it’s still Dean, you can’t shoot your own son.”

“My son is dead!” John snapped and Dean staggered back a step.

“Dad no, it’s me.” Dean whispered and John shifted his aim a little. Dena just stared at him with wide, scared eyes but didn’t try to run.

“No. Dean run.” Sam whispered.

TBC….