Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Disclaimer: Not mine.
Glad everyone liked the cliff hanger!

Chapter 8

Sam stared, frozen by fear, as John aimed the gun right at Dean’s heart. Dean’s gaze kept alternating between Sam and John; if John pulled the trigger he wanted his last sight to be of Sam, not a father who could kill his own son.

“Dad don’t….I swear I’ll do it, you pull that trigger and I’ll kill you.” Sam whispered brokenly. But it was the truth; if John shot Dean then as far as Sam cared he’d be an orphan.

“Sammy don’t, don’t say that.” Dean called and Sam stared at him, a few tears breaking free.

John hesitated but his finger began tightening on the trigger. He’d kill the vampire and Sam would get over it, the creature must have done something to Sam to make him believe it was Dean.

“No!” Sam screamed as John fired and the bullet slowed, stopping a few feet from Dean before falling to the ground. John’s eyes widened and then the Colt was torn from his hand, flying to rest in Sam’s outstretched hand. Sam aimed it right at John who froze, staring in horror at his youngest. Dean watched, happy that Sam had stopped the bullet and relieved that Sam’s eyes hadn’t flashed yellow, there would have been no way to calm John down if that had happened! He’d probably argue Sam was possessed by what had killed their Mom! Dean moved when he saw Sam’s finger beginning to tighten. John blinked when Dean moved in behind Sam, gripping his wrist.

“No Sammy, don’t do it. You will never forgive yourself if you kill Dad and you know it. You took the gun, its okay, I’m safe.” Dean soothed, ignoring John to softly kiss Sam’s neck. John stared in horror, unable to say anything as he watched Sam relax into the vampires’ arms.
“Give me the gun Sammy.” Dean urged and Sam slowly let go of it, letting it fall into Dean’s hand, Dean shoving it into his belt.

“How…..”

“Gonna threaten to shoot me too Dad?” Sam snapped angrily and John took a step back.

“Sam how?”

“Started a few weeks before Jess…..telekinesis, then visions and now…..I can hear Dean’s thoughts when I try.” Sam admitted and John couldn’t hide his terror at what he was hearing. He had hoped, prayed the rumours he’d found were wrong.
“And now you’re scared of me.” Sam spat, curling into Dean’s hold.

“Sam….I hoped….I wanted to be wrong.” John whispered and both boys frowned.

“You knew? You knew something like this could happen to me? Why didn’t you tell me!” Sam demanded angrily, taking a step forward. Dean heard the rattle and saw the windows in the cars rattling.

“Sam calm down. Let Dad explain kiddo.” Dean soothed and then sniffed the air. He snarled and lunged, grabbing a dropped machete and taking off the other vampires head before it got within five feet of John who stared in surprise. He’d tried to kill the vampire, why defend him? Was it possible? John found himself staring into green eyes he’d known for years and they showed what they always had when looking at him, love and admiration. The addition of fear hurt, despite everything and he found himself taking half a step forward. Dean stumbled back and John froze.

“Dean?” John asked and the vampire nodded.

“Dad it’s me. I….I know you’re disappointed but I didn’t want this. I killed the one that infected me, I drink from bags….at first I…..”

“Dean no.” Sam whispered but Dean shook his head.

“I’m not lying or hiding anything Sam.” Dean told him and Sam walked over, pulling Dean into his arms and glaring at John.

“At first…..I couldn’t fight it Dad. I…I did it, I killed.” Dean whispered and Sam tightened his grip, kissing Dean softly in an offer of comfort.
“I hated myself, tried to find someone to end it. Drank a lot, trying to numb the hunger, numb the pain. Then Sam…..”

“I’d been on the road eight months, trying to find one of you. Couldn’t find anything on Dean for the previous two years and you were nowhere to be found.” Sam spat and John flinched guiltily at that.
“Know how many times I nearly ended up dead while getting back into the old habits? How many new scars I’ve got from those months? Ended up in this seedy club, amused myself by imagining how much fun Dean would have watching the scantily clad female dancers. But there were male ones too and from the back one looked an awful lot like Dean, then he turned around and….it was Dean, a very very drunk Dean. Then I realised what he was, I could…feel it. Went outside, waited for him to come out. Was rather shocked when he passed out in my arms after slurring how happy he was to see me. Found a warehouse, chained him up, hit him with a dose of dead man’s blood to be safe. Not a good combo with alcohol by the way. We uh...talked for a while when he was finally coherent and I finally unchained him.”

“Honestly thought you were about to kill me. You were scared but you still gave me a chance.”

“I thought you were going to bite me when your lips touched my throat. Nearly hugged me to death instead. We hit the road after that, altered our sleeping patterns to sort of help us both. We tend to travel at night and sleep in the morning, for Dean’s comfort. We keep blood in a cooler; Dean acted as a guinea pig to help me get control of my powers. He’s still Dean Dad. Don’t you dare turn your back on him. Dean’s given everything for your crusade, now you try to kill him?”

John’s heart dropped when Dean admitted to killing but the fact he’d been living off bagged blood since meeting up with Sam…..was he just using Sam as a safety shield or did he truly want to do it?

“You haven’t bitten anyone since….” He tried and Dean looked down. Sam hugged him tighter and looked at John.

“No one unwilling. I think someone’s following us, despite what we do to hide. Dean’s blood has been tampered with several times. When that happens I sub in, it doesn’t hurt that much and Dean’s always pulled back when I’ve told him to. I think that might have something to do with why I can hear him and no one else.” Sam admitted.

“You bit Sam!” John yelled and Dean flinched.

“Didn’t want to. Sam pretty much shoved the vein in my mouth.”

“Because you’re a stubborn bastard who’d rather starve than hurt me. And you haven’t hurt me so it doesn’t matter.” Sam argued gently, kissing him again.

“And….that?” John demanded and Sam shrugged.

“No ones business but ours.” Sam stated coolly. John stared at them, taking in Sam’s defensive grip on Dean, the anger in his eyes and the fear in Dean’s.

“Okay.” John answered, getting suspicious and shocked looks from his sons.

“Okay what?” Sam pushed.

“It’s your business as long as neither of you is being hurt. The rest…….I can’t just….”

“Dad?” Dean called out and John took a step closer.

“You can’t just expect me to accept this……I……I need….”

“You need time.” Dean answered, smiling shakily.
“I’m still me Dad.” Dean pleaded and John slowly walked over. He reached out slowly and touched Dean’s face, fighting a flinch at the coldness of his skin. Dean closed his eyes, leaning into John’s touch despite what John had tried to do. Sam watched him warily but didn’t move to intervene.

“See Dad, it’s not just black and white.” Sam finally whispered and John stared up at him before nodding slowly. He moved closer and hugged Dean who clung to him. John tensed as Dean’s head rested against his shoulder but he could hear and feel Dean taking his scent in, memorising it.

“Missed you Dad.” Dean whispered before pulling back and gently pushing Sam forward. Sam just stared at John, not sure he could do it, if he could just forgive him everything.

“Why didn’t you answer my calls?” Sam asked and John closed his eyes before looking up at Sam.

“I was on its tail; I didn’t want to put you in danger. I drove straight to Stanford when I got your message but you were already gone. I watched you as much as I could and then I heard you were hunting with Dean so I knew you were safe.” John explained and Sam chewed at his lip before stopping closer and hugging John.

“You’re leaving, aren’t you?” Sam asked as they parted and John nodded.
“Call or Dean will track you down.” Sam warned.

“I will. You two…stay safe, look after each other. I….I’m trying.” John whispered and both boys nodded, knowing that what was happening to them was hard for John to accept.

“Just don’t……..you won’t….” Dean couldn’t say it but John understood.

“I won’t hunt you.” He promised and then he headed back to his truck.

“Dad!” Sam called and he looked back. The colt floated up and over to him.
“You’ll need that if you go after it. Just be careful, call us for backup.” Sam told him and John took the gun, knowing what it meant that Sam was giving it back to him.

“I will.” John got in and drove away, watching them for as long as he could.

“You okay?” Sam asked, moving to wrap his arms around Dean again.

“Yeah. Thanks for the save.” Dean told him and Sam nodded.

“I can’t lose you.” Sam whispered, kissing him.

“Come on, let’s get out of here.”

TBC…