Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Sam smiled as he stared down at Jessica’s sleeping features. She was so beautiful that he really didn’t want to leave but his Father wanted him to handle something up north. The fact that his Father had agreed to him attending College and even letting him date Jessica....he would do as asked. He didn’t know why his Father wanted him to go to Jericho when he had many others who could but maybe Sam was simply the closest. He sighed and settled back down to sleep for the rest of the night.

He told her he had to go away for a few days the next morning and she was understandably upset.

“But what about your interview?” She argued.

“It’s not till Monday and I’ll be back before then, I promise. It’s just a little job for my Dad, everything will be okay.”

“When do I get to meet this mysterious Dad of yours, you’ve met my family Sam.”

“Soon Jess, promise. Everything will be okay Jess.” He promised, leaning down to kiss her as he finished packing a bag.

“I love you.” She whispered and he smiled.

“Love you too. Now go have girl fun for the weekend.” He said and she laughed but when to call up a few of her girlfriends as Sam picked up his bag and left the apartment.

--------------------------------
Sam smiled softly as he approached the apartment, paying no notice to the black classic car parked nearby. He jogged up the stairs and unlocked the door.

“Jess? You here? I’m back.” Sam called out, smiling as he found a plate of his favourite cookies on the table. He picked one up and took a bite, smiling at Jess’ thoughtfulness and then froze. He closed his eyes, searching with his senses and then smiled. His Dad obviously wanted to hear how the trip had gone.
“Father?” he called but once again there was no answer. With a feeling of dread beginning to grow he headed towards the bedroom, readying his powers only to freeze in horror as his eyes locked on the ceiling over their bed.
“No....no Jess....NO!” He screamed, lashing out with his powers to try and free her but her body remained stuck to the ceiling. Her eyes were wide with terror as blood soaked into her dress. He choked back a sob as her mouth moved, forming his name without sound. He watched as the life fled her eyes and then flames exploded from around her, the force of it knocking Sam to the floor.
“No!” He screamed again, not hearing the sound of the door being broken in. He screamed, fighting as strong hands grabbed him and pulled him from the apartment and then down the stairs.

“Hey! Damn it stop fighting me kid.” A voice called and Sam snarled, pulling free and spinning to face the one that had dared take him from her. The man was a few years older than him and shorter though well built and there was something....

“Winchester.” Sam stated and green eyes widened in shock before narrowing in suspicion. Sam just sighed and ran a hand through his hair, his gaze going to the burning apartment.

“How do you know that?” the man demanded and Sam looked away, pain tearing through him at the betrayal.

“Not here please. Wherever you want just not here.” Sam asked and the Winchester stared at him before nodding, grabbing hold of his arm and leading Sam over to a sleek black car. Sam let himself be pushed into the passenger seat and sat silently, fighting tears, as the hunter got in and drove away. Sam stayed hunched in the seat the whole trip, ignoring the glances sent his way as he grieved for his love and the betrayal of his Father.

“We’re here.” The hunter said eventually and Sam blinked, looking around to find they were at a motel. He clumsily got out and this time the hunters grip had to steady him as they made their way into a room. Sam shivered as he crossed a salt line and then he came to a sudden stop as he hit an invisible barrier. The hunter quickly moved away from him and Sam let himself crumple to the floor, tears flowing freely.
“Demon.” The hunter sneered and Sam flinched.

“My name’s Sam.” He said, looking up at the hunter.

“The name of the poor kid you’re riding maybe.” The hunter shot back and Sam shook his head.

“You can do an exorcism if you want. This is me, Samuel Jacobs.”

“Yeah right. You’re just another filthy demon.”

“Half-demon.” Sam corrected and the hunter frowned.

“What?”

“I’m half-demon half-human. I crossed your salt lines fine enough and I’ve been to church a few times, mostly cause Je....” he trailed off in pain at the thought of her.

“There’s no such thing as a half-demon.” The hunter snarled and Sam looked up at him.

“Doesn’t matter anyway. Go ahead, kill me. There’s nothing left for me anymore. My own Father just killed the only one I’ve ever loved.” Sam muttered, drying his face with a sleeve.
“Exorcizamus te, omnis immundus spiritus, omnis satanica potestas, omnis incursio infernalis adversarii, omnis legio, omnis congregatio et secta diabolica.” The hunter stopped as Sam screamed, curling up and clutching his stomach, eyes yellow and tears falling from his eyes.

“Please don’t, it hurts.” Sam begged. The hunter started the chant again only to stare in shock when all that happened was Sam’s screams gaining volume.
“Please, I’ll tell you anything you want just stop!” Tear filled yellow eyes met green and the hunter bit his lip but nodded. He looked around and then found a cup; he went to the bathroom and filled it with water before placing it on the floor and gently pushing it into the trap.

“Drink, its normal water, not Holy.” he said and Sam picked the glass up shakily, sipping slowly.
“How did you know who I am?”

“Everyone knows the Winchesters. Don’t know your first name.” Sam admitted and the hunter stared at him before sighing and sitting down next to the trap.

“Dean, my name’s Dean.” He said and Sam smiled slightly at that.

“Nice to meet you I guess.” Sam said and then pushed the empty cup back to the edge of the trap.

“So what are you doing here? Killing college students or something?” Dean asked and Sam shook his head.

“I am a college student. I was studying law but I won’t go back now, there’s nothing left for me here.” Sam admitted.

“Okay I’m confused.” Dean admitted and Sam laughed softly.

“Sorry. It’s….I don’t know where to start.”

“How about with how being half-demon’s even possible?” Dean said and Sam nodded.

“Don’t suppose you’d let me out? It’s just….got caught in one of these for a week once. Won’t try anything, promise.” Sam asked and Dean stared at him.

“You can cross salt and I never trust strangers, not even human ones.” Dean shot back and Sam went back to staring at the floor.

“So use iron chains or something, anything’s better than this. Please!” Sam begged and Dean frowned but eventually got up and went back out to his car. When he came back he had a set of engraved iron manacles. He attached one to the bed and then moved cautiously to the trap. Sam stood slowly and held his hands out. Dean broke the trap and Sam moved slowly over to the bed, holding out a wrist for the manacle. Dean slipped it around Sam’s wrist and locked it. Sam closed his eyes and swayed slightly as he felt his strength being sapped. He moved back on the bed, leaning against the pillows as Dean watched.
“Ask away.” He said once he was comfortable.

“So like I asked, how can you be half-demon. I’ve never heard of anything like that before.” Dean said, sitting nearby but out of reach.

“The demon Azazel possessed Mark Jacobs and used him to conceive me. When I was a baby he returned and fed me his blood. I know that Mark Jacobs died before I was born in a car accident. My….my mother died when I was two, I barely remember her.” Sam answered softly and Dean felt a flash of sympathy for him.
“After that I was raised by various people, all of whom worked for Azazel, it wasn’t a bad childhood or anything and I was mostly happy but I wanted to be around people so I asked permission to attend college and Azazel agreed. He even seemed….happy for me when I said I was dating Jess. I don’t understand Dean…why would he kill her?” Sam asked and Dean frowned.

“How do you know he was the demon that did it? There are what? Thousands of demons out there?” Dean asked, unable to believe he was trying to comfort Sam.

“I felt him in the apartment and….Jess’ death, it’s his trademark. It’s…it’s the same way he killed your Mom.” Sam admitted and Dean froze.

“My Mom…..how could you know that?” Dean demanded, grabbing Sam’s shirt.

“Because he was proud of it, pissed that your Dad took to hunting, but proud of her death. If you’re going to ask why she died….I don’t know, he never said. I’m sorry.” Sam said and Dean let him go, walking over to the window and staring out of it.
“Dean?” Sam called timidly and the hunter turned back to him, all emotion hidden.

“I’m taking you to Bobby.” Dean said and Sam tilted his head to the side.

“Who’s Bobby?” Sam asked nervously.

“A hunter and expert on demons. He’ll know if what you’re saying is possible.” Dean answered and Sam nodded.

“Okay.” Sam answered softly and Dean sighed, looking at him and seeing for the first time since Sam had tripped the trap a tired, ash covered young man.

“I’ll go get some food, you do eat right?”

“Yeah. No red meat though, please.” Sam answered and Dean nodded, grabbing his keys.

“Sit tight.” Dean left to get the food and Sam let himself doze while he was gone. He only opened his eyes again when the door opened, relaxing when Dean walked in with some bags. He tossed one and a bottle of juice to Sam who caught them and smiled in thanks. They ate in silence and then Dean walked over to him.
“You’ll draw attention if you’re that much of a mess. I’ll unchain you but I’ll put a trap outside the bathroom door. Have a shower, do what you need to for the night and then come out. I’ll re-chain you and then break the trap. Don’t try anything.” Dean said and Sam nodded.

“I won’t.” Sam answered and Dean unchained him. Sam moved slowly over to the bathroom and stepped through the door. As soon as he was clear Dean set about drawing out the trap, Sam watching him.
“Um….I don’t have any clothes or anything. These reek of smoke.” Sam pointed out and Dean went over to his duffle, tossing Sam some cloth. Sam unfolded the pants and shirt and smiled.
“Thanks.” He closed the door and stripped off, wincing as he discovered some bruises from the apartment. He stood under the hot water, soaking as long as he dared before getting out and drying off. The pants were too short and loose around the waist but the shirt wasn’t a bad fit. He cleaned his teeth, used the toilet and then took a deep breath before opening the door and stepping into the trap. Dean walked over and attached the manacle to Sam’s wrist; Sam docilely followed him back over to the bed and let himself be chained to it. He crawled under the covers and lay facing the wall, listening to Dean move around until he too went to bed.

TBC….