Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Dean shot upward at the sound of a scream. He scrambled up and over to the second bed, seeing Sam thrashing in his sleep. They’d been on the road for over a week and so far Sam had slept through the night and Dean had wondered when everything would really hit him. Apparently this was the night.

“Sam. Come on Sam wake up, it’s just a nightmare.” Dean called softly but it didn’t work. He reached out and put a hand on Sam’s shoulder.

“Jess!” Sam screamed, bolting upright. Dean got a glimpse of yellow eyes before he was flung back into the wall. Sam panted for breath, one hand raised in defence before he fully woke up and looked around the room.
“Wha.....Dean!” Sam yelled, scrambling out of his bed and over to Dean’s side. Dean couldn’t help the instinctive flinch away and Sam looked down at the floor before trying to move closer again. This time Dean stayed still and Sam gently checked him over.
“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to. Please be okay.” Sam whispered and Dean stared at him groggily. He’d been tossed around by demons, ghosts, pretty much anything supernatural before but none had ever apologised for doing it. Hell he could practically see the tears gathering in Sam’s now hazel eyes. Dean smiled at him and reached out to clasp Sam’s shoulder, feeling the younger male tense under his touch.

“It’s okay Sam, I’m alright.” Dean told him and Sam nodded.
“Hey, look at me; I know you didn’t mean it. I sleep with a knife under my pillow so it could have just as easily have been you trying to wake me and getting cut. Next time I’ll just toss something at you to wake you up. Okay?” Dean asked softly and Sam looked at him hesitantly before nodding.

“Is your head okay?” Sam asked quietly and Dean nodded before wincing.

“I’ll be alright. Come on; let’s try to get some more sleep.” Dean offered and Sam helped him up.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Sam asked again and Dean rolled his eyes. He could tell Sam was scared that he would be mad but he wasn’t, he did understand.

“I’m fine Sammy.” The nickname just slipped out and Sam’s eyes went wide before he grinned slightly.

“Okay.” Sam said and then got back into his bed, lying so he was facing Dean. Dean grumbled half-heartedly but got resettled in bed, keeping one ear out for any more nightmares.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Morning Daddy.” She kissed him on the cheek and went over to the fridge.

“Morning sweetheart.” Was the answer.

“All these workouts Soph—I don’t know. Guys don’t like buff girls.” Her brother teased and she rolled her eyes.

“Yeah well, girls don’t like guys who still live at home.” She shot back.

“Ha ha ha.”

“Ha ha.” She opened the door to leave.

“Be careful.” Her dad called and she smiled at him.

“I will.” Sophie headed down to the lake and dove in. hearing what sounded like whispering she came up and looked around. Not seeing anyone she continued swimming. She tried to scream as something grabbed her but her mouth filled with water as she was pulled beneath the surface, thrashing wildly.

``````````````````````````````````````````
Dean was circling pictures in the newspaper while he ate, waiting for Sam to get back from the bathroom. Sam had been withdrawn for the last few days, ever since his nightmare. Dean had been woken by muffled crying several times but he knew Sam wanted to mourn alone so he stayed quiet but always made sure there were tissues and a glass of water besides Sam’s bed.

“Can I get you anything else?” The waitress asked, smiling flirtatiously and Dean managed a smile for her.

“Just the check, please.” Dean told her as Sam slid into his side of the booth.

“Okay.” She said, smiling at Sam.

“Here, take a look at this, I think I got a hunt, Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin. Last week Sophie Carlton, 18, walks into the lake, doesn’t walk out. Authorities dragged the water—Nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found either. They had a funeral two days ago.” Dean said, showing Sam the article. He figured whatever it was it should be a fairly easy hunt to ease Sam into the life style, and no demons to make Sam think about his Dad.

“A funeral?” Sam asked in confusion and Dean nodded.

“They buried an empty coffin. For uh, a closure or whatever.” Dean tried to explain, realizing then how careful Sam’s upbringing had been. Poor kid must have been completely lost when he started college.

“A closure? What closure? People don’t just disappear, Dean. Other people just stop looking for them.” Sam said and Dean frowned.

Sam? Something you want to tell me?” Dean asked but Sam refused to look at him and Dean sighed.

“All right, Lake Manitoc. How far?” Sam asked, smiling hesitantly and Dean grinned.

`````````````````````````````````````````
“Now, I’m sorry, but why does the Wildlife Service care about an accidental drowning?” The question made Sam frown and glance at Dean.

“You sure it’s accidental? Will Carlton saw something grab his sister.” Sam asked when Dean stayed quiet.

“Like what? Here sit please. There are no indigenous carnivores in that lake. There’s nothing even big enough to pull down a person, unless it was the Loch Ness monster.” Jake joked and Dean laughed.

“Yeah…right.” Dean agreed.

“Will Carlton was traumatized, and sometimes the mind plays tricks. Still, we dragged that entire lake. We even ran a sonar sweep just to be sure, and there was nothing down there.” The sheriff explained.

“That’s weird though I mean that’s…that’s the third missing body this year.” Dean pushed a bit and Sam stayed quiet, wanting to learn.

“I know. These are people from my town. These are people I care about.”

“I know.” Dean sympathized.

“Anyway, all this—It won’t be a problem much longer.”

“What do you mean?” Sam asked.

“Well the dam, of course.”

“Of course…the dam. It’s uh…sprung a leak.” Dean tried to cover and Sam felt a flash of guilt, had he blown their cover?

“It’s falling apart, and the feds won’t give us the grant to repair it, so they’ve opened the spillway. In another six months there won’t be much of a lake. There won’t be much of a town either. But as Federal Wildlife, you already knew that.”

“Exactly.” Dean agreed. They all looked at the door as someone tapped on it.

“Sorry, am I interrupting? I can come back later.” She said.

“Gentlemen, this is my daughter.” Jake informed them.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m Dean.” Dean told her, shaking her hand.

“Andrea Bar. Hi.”

“Hi.” Sam returned nervously.

“They’re from the Wildlife Service about the lake.” Jake told his daughter.

“Oh.” She said just as a boy walked in as well.

“ Oh hey there. What’s your name?” Dean leant down with a smile for the kid who simply walked away without saying a word, Andrea following him.

“His name is Lucas.” Jake said sadly, watching them go.

“Is he okay?” Sam asked softly.

“My grandson’s been through a lot. We all have. Well if there’s anything else I can do for you, please let me know.” The sheriff said as they left his office.

“Thanks. You know, now that you mentioned it, could you point us in the direction of a reasonably priced hotel.” Dean asked.

“Lakefront motel, go around the corner, it’s about two blocks south.” Andrea answered for her father.

“Two—Would you mind showing us?” Dean asked, wanting to ask her more about what was happening since he had the feeling they’d gotten everything out of Jake they could. Andrea laughed at him.

“You want me to walk you two blocks?” She asked in disbelief.

“Not if it’s any trouble.”

“I’m headed that way anyway. I’ll be back to pick up Lucas at three. We’ll go to the park, okay sweetie?” She asked Lucas and then kissed him on the head. Dean waved as they left and Sam smiled, Jake nodded at them in return.

``````````````````````````````````````````

“You’re doing great Sam.” Dean said once they were alone in their room and Sam just looked at him.
“Honest. I’ve been doing this my whole life and even I mess up a cover by asking something the authorities would know. No harm done.” Dean assured him. Sam had gone from suicidal to quit obedience to wanting to please Dean but showing some independence. Dean figured it was progress at least. Better than the kid lying in a burning building and waiting to die at least. But every time Sam thought he’d done something to displease Dean he just sort of shut down and it worried him. He doubted it was healthy for Sam to depend on him the way the younger male did but he didn’t know what to do about it. He knew that if Sam was left alone the kid would end up in a suicidal confrontation with Azazel and Dean couldn’t live with that. So Sam needed to be taught to hunt, that way he’d stand more of a chance against his Dad when they eventually found him. Sam just shrugged and Dean knew he needed to give him something to keep busy with so he dug out the laptop and handed it over. Sam sat down and immediately went to work on something.

“So there’s the three drowning victims this year.” Sam eventually said and Dean smiled slightly, apparently Sam liked researching.

“Any before that?” He asked and Sam frowned before scrolling down.

“Uh yeah…six more spread out over the past 35 years. Those bodies were never recovered either. If there is something out there, it’s picking up its pace.” Sam told him worriedly.

“So what, we got a lake monster on a binge?” Dean asked, wanting to hear Sam’s thoughts on the matter.

“This whole lake monster thing—It, It just bugs me.” Sam admitted and Dean felt a spike of happiness.

“Why?”

“Loch Ness, uh Lake Champlain—There are literally hundreds of eyewitness accounts, but here, almost nothing. Whatever it is out there, no one’s living to talk about it.” Sam explained and Dean nodded, moving over to look at the page too.

“Wait, Bar, Christopher Bar. Where have I heard that name before?”

“Christopher Bar, the victim in May. Oh…Christopher Bar was Andrea’s husband. Lucas’ father. Apparently, he took Lucas out swimming. Lucas was on a floating wooden platform when Chris drowned, two hours before the kid got rescued. Maybe we have an eyewitness after all.” Sam answered and Dean felt a pang of sympathy for the kid.

“No wonder that kid was so freaked out. Watching one of your parents die isn’t something you just get over.”

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
“So, I think it’s safe to say we can rule out Nessie.” Dean called as he walked into their room and Sam looked up instantly.

“What do you mean?”

“I just drove past the Carlton house. There was an ambulance there. Will Carlton is dead.” Dean told him and Sam frowned.

“He drowned?”

“Yep, in the sink.” Dean explained and Sam’s eyes went wide.

“What the hell? How can you drown in the sink?” Sam asked and Dean shrugged.
“So definitely not some kind of creature.”

“Yeah, but what?”

“I don’t know. A water wraith maybe? Some kind of demon, not a demon like Azazel but something demonic? I mean, something that controls water…water that comes from the same source.” Sam tried, thinking out loud.
“The lake.” He suddenly realized and Dean nodded, grinning at him.

“Yeah.”

“Which would explain why it’s upping the body count. The lake is draining. It’ll be dry in a few months. Whatever this thing is, whatever it wants, it’s running out of time.” Sam smiled, excited to have worked it out.

“And if it can get through the pipes, it can get to anyone, almost anywhere. This is gonna happen again soon. And we do know one other thing for sure. We know this has got something to do with Bill Carlton.” Dean added.

“Yeah, it took both his kids.”

“And I’ve been asking around. Lucas’ dad, Chris—Bill Carlton’s godson. So let’s go pay Mr. Carlton a visit.” Dean finished, grabbing his keys. Sam got his jacket and they headed out. Dean got in the driver’s side and they headed back to the lake. Dean glanced at Sam and noticed the way he watched the people around town.

“So…..did you not get out much before Stanford?” He finally asked and Sam looked at him, blinking in surprise.

“What?” Sam asked, puzzled.

“Sorry, it’s just the way you watch people, the way you interact with strangers…..it’s like you don’t really know what you’re doing a lot of the time.” Dean admitted and Sam took a deep breath.

“I…they were always very careful of who I was with. I guess I never really noticed it growing up but I was never allowed to just go to the mall and hag out like other kids. Jess….she taught me so much. She just sat next to me in class one day and started talking; she never made fun of me when I didn’t know something I should have.” Sam answered quietly and Dean felt guilty for asking when Sam mentioned Jess. The rest of the drive was silent and then they got out and headed onto the dock.

“Mr. Carlton…we’d like to ask you a few questions if you don’t mind.” Dean called out as they approached.

“We’re from the Department…” Sam started.

“I don’t care who you’re with. I’ve answered enough questions today.”

“Your son said he saw something in that lake. What about you? You ever see anything out there? Mr. Carlton, Sophie’s drowning and Will’s death—We think there might be a connection to you or your family.” Sam kept trying and Dean let him, happy he hadn’t withdrawn after their talk.

“My children are gone. It’s…it’s worse than dying. Go away…please.” Bill said and they exchanged looks before walking away.

“What do you think?” Sam asked.

“Aw, I think the poor guy’s been through hell. I also think he’s not telling us something.” Dean answered.

“What is it?” Sam asked, confused.

“Huh. Maybe Bill’s not the only one who knows something.” Dean said, pulling out the picture Lucas had drawn for him.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Dean and Sam looked around as Dean drove; trying to spot the scene Lucas had drawn them, so far without any luck.

“Andrea said the kid never drew like that till his dad died.”

“There are cases going through a traumatic experience could make people more sensitive to premonitions, psychic tendencies.” Sam informed him and then blushed when Dean just stared at him.

“Whatever’s out there, what if Lucas is tapping into it somehow? I mean it’s only a matter of time before somebody else drowns. If you got a better lead, please.” Dean told him, still amused by the babbled information. Apparently Sam really knew his stuff when it came to psychic abilities though was it really that surprising considering?

“All right…we got another house to find.”

“The only problem is there’s about a thousand yellow two-stories in this county alone.” Dean grumbled and Sam looked at the picture again.

“See this church? I bet there’s less than a thousand of those around here.” Sam pointed out and Dean nodded before deciding to tease Sam a little.

“Oh, college boy thinks he’s so smart.” Sam stared at him in shock before realizing Dean was playing and then he was smiling back at Dean. They drove in silence for a while before Sam spotted something just off from the road.

“There Dean.” Dean parked and they got out, walking up to a white church, just like in the picture. Sure enough there was also a yellow house. They walked up and Dean knocked on the door.

“We’re sorry to bother you ma’am, but does a little boy live here, by chance? He might wear a blue ball cap, has a red bicycle.” Dean asked the elderly woman who answered.

“No sir. Not for a very long time. Peter’s been gone for 35 years now. The police never—I never had any idea what happened. He just disappeared. Losing him…You know, it’s…It’s worse than dying.” She explained even as Sam pointed out the toys still lying around.

“Did he disappear from here—I mean, from this house?”

“He was supposed to ride his bike straight home after school, and he never showed up.”

“Peter Sweeney and Billy Carlton, 1970.” Dean muttered as he looked over a picture that had been on the table.

“Thank you for your time Ma’am.” Sam said, smiling at her and she waved as they left. They got back in the Impala and headed for the lake.
“Okay this little boy, Peter Sweeney, vanishes, and this is all connected to Bill Carlton somehow.”

“Yeah, Bill sure as hell seems to be hiding something, huh?”

“And Bill—The people he loves—Are all getting punished.” Sam muttered and Dean nodded.

“So what if Bill did something to Peter?”

“What if Bill killed him?” Sam asked, sure he knew a little about ghosts but not that much, his education had been more about demons and actual physical creatures.

“Then Peter’s spirit would be furious. It’d want revenge. It’s possible.” Dean explained as they parked and headed for the Carlton house.

“Mister Carlton!?” Sam called but there was no answer….except for the sound of an engine. Turning they saw Bill going out onto the lake in his boat.

“Hey, check it out.” They ran for the end of the dock and began to yell.

“Mister Carlton! You need to come back! Come out of the water! Turn the boat around!” They yelled and then Dean looked at Sam.

“Can you yank him back here or something?” He demanded and Sam closed his eyes, struggling.

“He’s too far away.” Sam gasped and then they stared in shock as the water rose up and flipped the boat upside down.

`````````````````````````````````````````````
“Are you sure about this? It’s pretty late.” Sam said as Dean rang the doorbell. They both stepped back as Lucas flung the door open, panting for air.

“Lucas!? Lucas?!” Dean called as the boy took off, they followed him to the upstairs bathroom where Lucas began to pound on the door. Dean grabbed him and gently tossed him to Sam who put Lucas behind him as Dean kicked the door in. Lucas then latched onto Dean as Sam ran into the bathroom, plunging his arms into the water. Hazel eyes turned yellow as Sam pulled not only with his arms but with his powers. He groaned as he tried to pull up Andrea, and finally her head emerged. Her face was still shoved back in the water, but Sam kept pulling and grunting until she finally came completely out of the bathtub. The sudden release of pressure sent them both tumbling to the floor, Sam automatically protecting her from the cold tiles with his own body as she began to cough up water.

It was nearly an hour before she was dried, dressed and settled on the couch with a mug of tea. Sam sat across from her while Dean browsed the bookshelves.

“Can you tell me?” Sam asked gently.

“No. It doesn’t make any sense.” She began to cry.
“I’m going crazy.”

“No, you’re not. Tell me what happened—everything.” Sam urged and she took a deep breath.

“I heard…I thought I heard…there was this voice.”

“What did it say?”

“It said…it said “Come play with me.” What’s happening?” She asked even as Dean placed a scrapbook in front of her with a picture of a Boy Scout troop.

“Do you recognize the kids in these pictures?” Dean asked.

“What? Um…Um, no. I mean, except that’s my dad right there. He must have been about 12 in these pictures.”

“Chris Bar’s drowning--The connection wasn’t to Bill Carlton. It must have been to sheriff.” Dean said and Sam looked up at him.

“Bill and the sheriff—they were both involved with Peter.” Sam whispered and Andrea looked at them.

“What about Chris? My dad—what are you talking about?” She demanded.

“Lucas? Lucas, what is it?” Dean suddenly asked, noticing the boy staring out the window. Lucas opened the door and walked outside, the other three following him.

“Lucas, honey?” Andrea called as Lucas stopped and looked from the ground to Dean.

“You and Lucas get back to the house and stay there, okay?” Dean ordered and Andrea pulled Lucas back towards the house.
“Looks like we need the shovels.”

“I can…”

“Sam?”

“I can pull whatever’s down there up.” Sam offered and Dean nodded. Sam closed his eyes and concentrated. Dean watched as the soil moved, something rising up from below. In the end a dirty red bicycle was lying on the ground.
“Peter’s bike.” Sam breathed, eyes fading to hazel.

“Who are you?” they both turned to find Jake behind them, his gun aimed at them. Sam reached out, ready to pull the gun away if it looked like he was going to shoot.

“Put the gun down, Jake.” Sam urged and Jake glared at him.

“How did you know that was there?”

“What happened—You and Bill killed Peter, drowned him in the lake and then buried the bike? You can’t bury the truth, Jake. Nothing stays buried.” Dean pushed.

“I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about.” Jake denied.

“You and Bill killed Peter Sweeney 35 years ago. That’s what the hell I’m talking about.” Dean spat back and Sam saw Jake’s finger begin to tighten on the trigger. There was no way he’d let that man hurt Dean, he’d sworn to protect the hunter from anything he could.

“Dad!” Andrea screamed as she ran up to them.

“And now you got one seriously pissed off spirit.” Dean continued.

“It’s gonna take Andrea, Lucas, everyone you love. It’s gonna drown them. And it’s gonna drag their bodies God knows where, so you can feel the same pain Peter’s mom felt. And then, after that, it’s gonna take you, and it’s not gonna stop until it does.” Sam explained.

“Yeah, and how do you know that?” Jake snapped.

“Because that’s exactly what it did to Bill Carlton.” Sam answered calmly.

“Listen to yourselves, both of you. You’re insane.”

“I don’t really give a rat’s ass what you think of us. But if we’re gonna bring down this spirit, we need to find the remains, salt them, and burn them into dust. Now tell me you buried Peter somewhere. Tell me you didn’t just let him go in the lake.”

“Dad, is any of this true?” Andrea demanded shakily.

“No. Don’t listen to them, they’re liars and they’re dangerous.”

“Something tried to drown me. Chris died on that lake. Dad, look at me.” Jake’s eyes shifted to his daughter.
“Tell me you—you didn’t kill anyone.” She pleaded and he looked away.
“Oh my God.” She whispered in shock.

“Billy and I were at the lake. Peter was the smallest one. We always bullied him, but this time…it got rough. We were holding his head under the water, we didn’t mean to. But we held him under too long and he drowned. We let the body go, and it sank. Oh Andrea, we were kids. We were so scared. It was a mistake. But, Andrea, to say that I have anything to do with these drownings, with Chris, because of some ghost…it’s not rational.” Jake explained.

“All right listen to me, all of you. We need to get you away from this lake as far as we can right now.” Dean stated only to be interrupted as Andrea gasped in fear. She pointed and they turned to see Lucas vanishing in the direction of the lake.

“Lucas!” Jake screamed and they all ran towards the lake, seeing Lucas on the dock, reaching into the water with his hand.

“Come play with me.” A voice called.

“Lucas!” Dean shouted, trying to get some more speed.

“Lucas! Baby stay where you are!” Andrea yelled but it was too late as a hand came up out of the water and pulled Lucas into the water. They reached the edge of the lake and Jake froze as he saw Peter’s face for a second. Dean and Sam dove off the dock and into the lake.

“Oh my God!” Andrea gasped, starting to take off her jacket. Sam saw her as he surfaced for air.

“Andrea, stay there.” He told her.

“No, Lucas!”

“We’ll get him just stay on the dock.” Sam commanded and then he dove back down. Dean came up and Sam followed soon after. Dean looked at Sam who shook his head, water plastering his hair to his face and then they both dove again.

“Lucas where are you?” Andrea called from shore as she tried to spot her son. With the two hunters beneath the surface Jake stripped off his jacket and began to wade into the lake.

“Peter, if you can here me. Please Peter, I’m sorry. I’m so—I’m so sorry.” He called and Andrea turned to him in horror.

“Daddy, no.”

“Peter. Lucas—He’s just a little boy. Please, it’s not his fault, it’s mine. Please take me.” Jake pleaded as Dean came up again and saw him.

“Jake, no!” He yelled even as Peter came up from the bottom of the lake.

“Just let it be over!” Jake yelled and he didn’t struggle as he was dragged under.

“Daddy! Daddy! No!” She screamed and Dean was about to dive again when Sam surfaced, cradling Lucas in his arms. He headed quickly for the shore, Dean close by his side. Andrea dropped to her knees and pulled Lucas into her arms as soon as they were on land. The kid was soaked and shivering badly but seemed okay. Dean looked at Sam and grinned, making Sam smile in return. It felt very good to be the one saving people.

“So are you part fish too?” Dean teased and Sam laughed.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Sam, Dean.” Andrea called and they both turned from the car to see her and Lucas headed their way.

“Hey.” Dean called out to them.

“We’re glad we caught you. We just um, we made you lunch for the road. Lucas insisted on making the sandwiches himself.” Andrea told them, indicating the tray her son was carrying.

“Can I give it to them now?” Lucas asked and both hunters grinned at hearing him talk.

“Of course.” Andrea told him and Dean grinned at him.

“Come on Lucas; let’s load this into the car.” Dean said and they went to put the food in the car while Sam moved closer to Andrea.

“How you holding up?” He asked gently and she sighed.

“It’s just gonna take a long time to sort through everything, you know?”

“Andrea, I’m sorry.”

“You saved my son. I can’t ask for more than that. Dad loved me. He loved Lucas. No matter what he did, I just have to hold on to that.” She said and Sam nodded in understanding.

“All right, if you’re gonna be talking now, this is a very important phrase, so I want you to repeat it one more time.” Dean said as he finished putting the food in the car and Lucas smiled at him.

“Zeppelin rules!” Lucas stated.

“That’s right. Up high.” Dean held his hand up for a high five.
“You take care of your mom, okay?”

“All right.” Lucas said and Andrea came up, kissing Dean on the cheek.

“Thank you.” He nodded and got in the car.

“Sam, move your ass. We’re gonna run out of daylight before we hit the road.” He called and Sam got in the car, smiling as Lucas and Andrea waved goodbye until they were out of sight.

“Not bad for your first ghost hunt.” Dean praised and Sam smiled as he settled into the seat.

“Thanks.”

TBC….