Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Dean glanced at the demon from the corner of his eye as he drove. He didn’t know what to think about the kid, demon, whatever he was. He seemed sincere but demons were very good liars but there was a part of him that wanted to believe that the kid was telling the truth. That didn’t mean he was going to unchain Sam though. Sam wore the iron manacles while they were in the car and when they stopped at motels for the night. They only came off when Sam needed to use the bathroom or when they were both out in public. When that happened Dean stayed close, a knife in hand, just in case. But Sam had done nothing and was completely obedient when Dean told him to do something.

They’d be at Bobby’s in a few hours and he’d finally have his answers so he could finally know whether he could trust him or would have to kill him. He hoped Bobby would have answers, if Bobby didn’t know then who would? He tensed slightly as Sam shifted in his seat but he relaxed as Sam just laid his head against the window. Dean checked again and found Sam staring blankly out the window.

“You okay over there?” Dean asked and Sam blinked before looking over at him and nodding before stretching.

“We stopping for the night or?”

“We’ll be there soon.” Dean answered and Sam nodded.

“So what’s this Bobby like?”

“Like any hunter. Paranoid, suspicious....how do you react to Holy Water?” Dean asked and Sam let his head slam into the window.

“This is gonna be fun.” Sam grumbled and Dean couldn’t help but chuckle.

“That bad?” He asked and Sam shrugged awkwardly thanks to the manacles.

“Not as bad as a demon but it hurts.” Sam admitted softly and Dean chewed his bottom lip absently.

“He makes everyone drink.....but I’ll see if I can get him not to give you any. His house is covered in traps though.” Dean explained and Sam sighed.

“Yep, fun.” Sam mumbled and Dean flipped the radio on. Sam nearly jumped but then relaxed again, actually humming alone to one of the songs.

---------------------------------------------
Bobby looked up and smiled as he heard a familiar car pull into his yard. He got up and grabbed the holy water plus his shot gun, just in case. He looked out the window to see Dean get out and then go to the passenger side. He frowned as Dean opened the door and then reached down, pulling someone out but not roughly. Bobby’s frown deepened when he saw the gangly kid and the manacles attached to his wrists. Dean guided the younger male towards Bobby’s house, the kid looking around curiously. He watched as the kid said something and Dean answered, what the hell was going on? Bobby opened the door and Dean smiled at him.

“Hey Bobby.” Dean called out and Bobby nodded, tossing the flask to him. Dean opened it and downed a mouthful before tossing it back.

“What about him?” Bobby called and Dean shrugged.

“Already know it’ll hurt so what’s the point?” Dean answered and Bobby tensed.

“You want to tell me what the hell’s going on boy?” He demanded and Dean sighed.

“Inside please?” Dean asked and Bobby nodded, motioning them in. Dean walked in easily and the kid suddenly stopped. Bobby raised his shotgun and the kid lowered his head, hunching in on himself.
“Bobby...”

“Dean why did you bring a demon here?!” Bobby demanded and Dean sighed, running a hand through his hair.

“Long story Bobby. Show him Sam.” Dean said and the now-named kid raised his head. Bobby’s eyes went wide when Sam’s eyes changed to yellow instead of the usual black. Yellow eyes....

“Dean....”

“Yeah. Meet Sam Jacobs, son of the demon that killed Mom.” Dean stated tightly and Bobby stared in shock.

“And you haven’t exorcised him? Damn it Dean, there’s a kid locked in there.” Bobby snarled, surprised when he saw the demon flinch out of the corner of his eye.

“I tried Bobby; all it did was make him scream in agony. He can cross salt without a problem but gets stuck in traps. Those manacles you gave me work too.” Dean explained and Bobby moved closer to the trap, studying the kid. Now hazel eyes met his hesitantly.

“So what are you?” He demanded and the kid swallowed.

“Half-human, half-demon.” Was the quiet answer and Bobby frowned in suspicion. He’d only come across references to such things once; apparently they were extremely rare and most didn’t survive or ended up human but with some physic abilities.

“Bobby?” Dean asked and he sighed.

“I’ve read of some, most don’t survive or if they do end up human but psychic.” Bobby answered.

“Is there some sort of way to prove it?” Dean asked and he nodded.

“I’ll need to get a few things. Manacles work?” He asked and Dean nodded slowly. Bobby grabbed a broom and used it to rub a break in the trap. Sam smiled shakily at him and edged out of the circle, staying closer to Dean than Bobby. It made sense though if Sam had been travelling with Dean the last few days then Dean was a known danger and Bobby wasn’t.
“There’s a clear path to the couch, try not to get caught in another trap.” Bobby said and Dean led Sam to the couch where Sam curled up. Dean stood nearby, not sure whether or not he should sit with the kid or not.

“See, Bobby knows all.” Dean said quietly and Sam nodded.
“Hungry? Thirsty?”

“A bit thirsty.” Sam admitted and Dean nodded.

“I’ll get you something un-tampered with.” Dean told him, heading to the kitchen. He scrounged around and grinned when he found some unopened bottles of juice.
“These clean Bobby?” He called and the older hunter emerged from his back room, stared at them and then nodded.
“Thanks.” Bobby vanished and Dean headed back in to the living room, tossing a bottle to Sam who managed to catch it despite the manacles. He took the cap off and then took a hesitant sip before drinking deeply.

“Thanks.” Sam said and Dean nodded.

They waited in silence for hours, Dean eventually sitting beside Sam, until Bobby finally emerged from his books and supplies. By then Sam had nodded off, his head falling to rest on Dean’s shoulder and Dean’s head had fallen back to rest on the back of the couch as he dozed. Bobby froze in the doorway for a second as he saw them, not sure whether to be amused by the position or worried. Since he didn’t need them right then he decided to let them sleep as he set everything up. He froze when he felt eyes on him nearly twenty minutes later and turned to find curious hazel watching him, Sam was awake. Sam merely watched him silently as he finished preparing.

“Ready.” Bobby stated and Sam nodded before looking at Dean, as if uncertain whether he should wake him.
“He’ll feel better if he sees this for himself.” Bobby said and Sam nodded.

“Dean? Bobby’s ready.” Sam called softly and Dean snapped awake.

“Huh?” Dean mumbled and Sam smiled, making Bobby frown slightly.

“He’s ready.” Sam repeated and Dean nodded, yawning as he sat up.

“Unfortunately for this to work we have to take the manacles off. You gonna try anything?” Bobby demanded and Sam shook his head.

“No sir.” Sam answered and Bobby nodded, looking to Dean who removed the manacles. Sam slowly reached up to rub his wrists, the skin red and raw despite Dean having removed them several times a day.
“What next?”

“You lie in the circle and don’t move. And drink this, no holy water or anything in it.” Bobby held out the cup and Sam wrinkled his nose as he took it, the smell was rather nasty. Sam looked at them both before taking a deep breath and downing the liquid. He gagged but managed to swallow it all and then he frowned as the room began to spin.

“De.....” He slurred and then slumped, Dean barely catching him.

“Bobby?” Dean called and the older hunter moved to get Sam’s feet.

“It’s meant to do that.” He answered as he started to lift. Dean got the hint and lifted Sam’s torso. They got Sam into the circle and then stepped out.

“Could have warned me.” Dean grumbled.
“Now what?”

“Hold this.” Bobby pushed a bowl into his arms and Dean looked down at the contents, not recognising most.
“When I tell you to dump it on the kid’s chest.” Dean nodded in answer and Bobby began reading a chant or something from a very old book. He went on for several minutes before nodding to Dean who upended the bowl over Sam. Dean watching in awe as Sam began to almost glow with a mix of black and green light. The two lights seemed to fight each other before settling down in equal amounts.

“Bobby?” Dean asked as the man fell silent.

“He’s telling the truth, he’s half and half. Doesn’t mean he’s on humanities side though. How did you find him?” He asked as he started cleaning up.

“Dad sent me to Stanford due to demonic omens. I hung around for a few days and was thinking of leaving, was gonna give it one more night. I was sitting in the car when an apartment window blew out. Went upstairs and busted the door down to find Sam on the ground, screaming and a body on the ceiling. Dragged him out and he knew I was a Winchester. Took him back to the motel wanting answers and he got stuck in the trap. He spun a story I didn’t believe so I tried an exorcism only to have him writhe and scream but no smoke. He....he was petrified of being in the trap, that’s why I used the manacles. Made travel easier too.” Dean told him.

“And his family? Why was he at Stanford? Did he kill the person in the apartment?” Bobby pushed and Dean sat down on the couch.

“I researched him to back up what he told me. Samuel Jacobs, twenty-two, born in San Francisco to Mark and Rachel Jacobs. Father died in a car accident three months before Sam was born, mother died just before his second birthday. Raised by various foster families and home schooled. Accepted to Stanford at age eighteen, model student, pre-law. Moved into an off campus apartment just over a year ago with one Jessica Moore.” Dean recited and then leant back in his seat.
“Adding in what Sam himself told me, Mark was possessed when Sam was conceived and then the demon visited again when Sam was a baby to feed him more blood. The people who raised him were all tied to his ‘demon’ father, named Azazel. Sam asked permission to attend college and it was given, apparently his Dad even appeared happy when Sam started dating Jessica. Sam’s convinced it was his Dad that caused the fire and killed her because he sensed him and the kill bore his signature........the way my Mom died. Sam said his Dad’s the one that killed my Mom.” Dean finished quietly and Bobby sighed. Explained why Dean had brought the kid to him, if he was telling the truth.....they’d gone over twenty years with no new intel on what had killed Mary Winchester, if Sam was its son and was willing to talk....

A low groan made them look at the floor and then Dean crouched by Sam’s side. He lifted Sam’s head off the floor and held him still.

“Any side effects?” Dean asked and Bobby shook his head.

“He might be a bit groggy for a while though.” Bobby answered and then fell silent as Sam’s eyes fluttered open.

“Morning sunshine.” Dean greeted and Sam groaned but slowly focused on him.

“Wha’ happ?” Sam slurred, blinking rapidly.

“Bobby’s little test knocked you out but you’ll be okay. Proved you were telling the truth about what you are at least.” Dean explained and Sam sort of nodded.
“Think you can stand?” He asked and Sam struggled to sit up. Dean stood and pulled him up, Sam swaying dangerously but he managed to stay upright as Dean helped him back over to the couch. Dean looked at the manacles and then Bobby, unsure. Bobby shrugged and Dean decided to leave them off, for now.

“Wanna he’p you.” Sam murmured sleepily and Dean grabbed a rug, putting it over him.

“Just sleep it off kid. We’ll talk later.” Dean muttered and Sam’s eyes slid shut. Bobby cleaned off the floor and then headed into the kitchen and Dean followed him.

“If he’s telling the truth the kid could be a big help.” Bobby stated and Dean nodded.

“Do you think he is?’ Dean asked and Bobby shrugged.

“Hard to lie when you’re mostly out like he was, for a human at least.” Bobby admitted and Dean nodded.
“You left the chains off?”

“You’ve got so many traps and wards around and...he hasn’t tried anything yet when I’ve taken them off. You should have seen him when I pulled him from the fire Bobby. I think he was going to lay there and let it take him too. He fought me when I was trying to get him out, screaming for the girl the whole time. Whatever else, I think he really did love her Bobby.”

“Then maybe he’s telling the truth.”

TBC...