Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Title: Justice Served With A Side Of Fries
Author: Lady FoxFire
Pairing(s): None
Rating: PG13
Setting: Book 1
Warning: None
Category(s): AU
Summary: A curse, a blessing and old magic – It’s best to never assume anything.
Disclaimer: I’m tired and really out of patience so this is it – I don’t own Harry Potter and I don’t make any money from this fic

Bad Author Notes: Wanted – A rainy day at home with nothing I have to do. The house is clean, the laundry is washed and folded, groceries have been bought and put away and a home cook meal is waiting to be put in the oven. My son at school for the day, so that the house is quiet and I can have the tv. A horror movie playing on the tv so I can hear someone scream while I type away at the computer. Is this too much to ask?



The Great Hall was packed with not only students but with Ministry personal, reporters from the world over and representatives from a number of wizard governments.

This was the first time in almost 300 years that someone had called for a Breith Chríochnaitheach. Since the discovery of Veritaserum, most heads of family have been satisfied with the punishment their government have inflicted on the guilty, it was only in less civilized areas such as the Americas that the spell is still in semi-regular use.

So the Aurors who dragged Black into the Great Hall was met with the atmosphere one would expect to find a world champion quidditch match. One Auror even shyly waved to the crowd as they marched Black down the length of the Great Hall to where Potter stood with the professors and members of the Ministry.

Intermixed with the students were photographers from the different news agencies of almost every single magical community in the world; each of them hoping to get that one shot that would make their career. The reporters stood at the side of the Ministry employees, so the Ministry would have easy access to the press; unfortunately for the Ministry, this also meant that the press could overhear comments that the Ministry didn’t want heard.

Reaching the chair that had been set out for the prisoner, the Auror none too gently forced Black down into a chair before taking their places among the other Aurors station around the Great Hall.

"There you are, Lord Potter," Fudge said as he waved a hand at Sirius Black. "Your family's betrayer. Now why don't we get things settled, so the rest of us can get on with our lives?"

"You're quite right, Minister," Harry replied with barely a glance at Black. "This has gone on much too long."

Harry turned his attention the Professor Snape. "Professor Snape," Harry said, "I have been told by my sources that you are a somewhat competent Potion Master."

Snape bristled at Potter's statement. "I am more than competent, Potter," he snarled.

"Then if so, it would be safe to assume that you can brew Veritaserum," Harry replied.

"Potions Master Snape is one of three potion master licensed to brew it," Headmaster Dumbledore butted in. "We're very fortunate to have him at Hogwarts. I'm sure that you'll enjoy learning under him when all of this is settled."

Harry looked at the Headmaster blandly before shifting his attention back to the Professor Snape. "Potions Master Snape, do you have any Veritaserum at Hogwarts at this time," Harry asked respectfully.

With a professional air, Snape stated, "I have just finish a batch of Veritaserum for the Ministry. It has yet to be delivered."

"I will need a vial of it please, Potions Master Snape," Harry said with a slight bow of his head in respect.

"Now see here!" Fudge exclaimed. "That's Ministry property! And it's expensive. You can't just hand it out to just anyone!"

Harry turned and looked at the Fudge in confusion. "Minister Fudge, are you denying me the right to question the person who has been said is the betrayer of my parents? Are you denying me the right to ask why he betrayed them?"

"What?" Fudge sputtered. "No! No of course not. It's just that…"

"It's just what, Minister Fudge?" Harry asked.

"It's just that… well that potion is bloody expensive!" Fudge stated. "Beside there is no reason to waste it on him after all we all know he's guilty."

Harry looked over this shoulder at the man who betrayed his family then back at the Minister. "But are we sure he who he appears to be?" Harry asked. "Isn't there some type of potion that allows someone to look like someone else? Of course, someone would have to controlling the poor man so that he was say he was Sirius Black. Of course, none of this matters if we use Veritaserum on him."

Fudge's mouth opened and closed like a fish on dry land, gasping for breath.

"Of course by the time anyone found out it would be too late, a whole generation of Britain's best would be lost to the world of magic, reduced to mere Muggles," Harry said.

"Cornelius," a man with blond almost snow white hair carrying a cane stepped forward, "if it a matter of money then I would gladly pay for vial," the man said.

"Lucius," Fudge said in confusion at the sight of the man before him. "What are you doing here?"

"My son, Draco, is a student of Hogwarts. A first year," Lucius stated. "He's already been sorted. Slytherin, I believe."

Fudge turned and looked at the Slytherin House table. "Oh," he said as he spied a head of almost white hair. "Umm… are you sure you want to pay for it? I mean…"

"Tut tut my dear man," Lucius said. "It's mere money because it will help insure my son's safety."

"Yes… well of course," Fudge stammered before turning to Professional Snape. "Well what are you standing there for, go get it," he said as he dismissed the potions master as if he was a lowly servant.

With a glare that would have a number of students requiring a calming potion, Snape turned on his heels and marched out of the Great Hall.

Harry watched the Potions Master until he disappeared into the shadows. "That’s so cool!" he said.

"What is, Harry… I mean Lord Potter?" Dumbledore asked

"How he got his robes to billow like that," Harry replied. "I wonder if it was a spell that makes it does that."

Dumbledore looked at the young boy with a complete look of bewilderment on his face over the fact that anyone would be interested in how to make one's clothing billow.

It was nearly a half-hour later when Potion Master Snape graced those gathered in the Great Hall with his presence.

"Here," Snape said simply as he held out a small vial of clear liquid towards Potter.

"Thank you, Potions Master Snape," Harry replied respectfully as he took the vial.

Harry looked down at the vial in his hand then up at Snape. "Umm…"

Snape sighed dramatically. "Three drops on the tongue."

Harry flashed a grateful smile before turning towards the prisoner, Sirius Black. He held the vial in his hand tightly as he stared at the thin and nearly broken man before him.

Black stared at Harry closed hand with a mixture of hope and relief. Slowly he raised his eyes to meet Harry's green eyes.

"Open your mouth," Harry commanded.

With a smile, Black opened his mouth and stuck out his tongue.

"One," Harry said as a single drop entered Black's mouth.

"Two."

"Three."

Harry placed the cap back onto the vial before looking over his shoulder at Snape.

"It will take a few minutes for the potion to take effect," Snape said to Harry's unasked question. "You will notice a dazed look in his eyes. Of course this is Black who we’re speaking of so you might have some difficulties distinguishing his normal look from that of the effect from Veritaserum."

"Severus," Dumbledore said in a chastising tone.

Snape gave the Headmaster a knowing look before turning back to Potter and Black. "The potion appears to have taken effect. I would suggest you ask a few questions before you interrogate him fully."

"Thank you, sir," Harry replied before turning back to the prisoner.

Taking a deep breath Harry stepped forward then in a voice loud enough that everyone could hear him in the silent hall, he said, "What is your full name?"

"Sirius Orion Black," the man replied.

"Do you know what date it is?" Harry asked.

Sirius shook his head. "No," he said in a broken whisper.

"Do you know who placed a catnip bomb in Professor McGonagall's 1st year class during your last year at Hogwarts," Harry asked.

"Moony," Sirius replied with a smile. "Remus Lupin."

Harry nodded his head. "Did James Potter and or you help Remus in creating or placing the catnip bomb at any time?"

"No," Sirius said as he shook his head. "It was Lily and Remus. Caught Lily harvesting some catnip. Didn't know about it or would have helped. James and I were punished for it too."

Harry turned to Remus for confirmation.

Remus nodded his head as McGonagall scowled at him. "He's telling the truth," he said.

Harry closed his eyes and took a deep breath then opening his eyes he asked, "At any time, were you, Sirius Black, the secret keeper to Lily and James Potter?"

Sirius let out a sob, "No!"

The silences that had pervaded the Great Hall broke with Black's single word.

Before the audience's questions and demands could overwhelm Black, a stern looking woman with short gray hair and a monocle cast a silencing ward over Black.

"Silence!" Dumbledore said in a booming voice.

While the effects were not instantaneous the Great Hall did quiet down in a few minutes.

"That’s better," Dumbledore declare with a nod of his head in satisfaction.

"It was Peter, wasn't it?" Remus said is shock as he steps forward towards his old friend. "That’s why you went after him."

"He can't hear you," the monocle wearing woman stated, “I was forced to cast a silencing ward upon him so that he wasn't overwhelmed with all of the questions."

"And you are?" Harry demanded as he eyes the older woman warily.

"Amelia Bones, Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement," the woman introduce herself.

"Well… umm… good work, Madam Bones," Ministry Fudge stammered as he licked his lips nervously. "Well… Ahhh it appears as if… that everything is settled then. I mean Pettigrew betrayed the Potters and Black killed him, so there's nothing else to do but to send Black back to Azkaban."

"Of course, Minister Fudge," Harry said in a droll tone, "And then in 2 days when every person in Hogwarts loses their magic, you can face their parents with confidence and say 'But at least Black is in prison.'"

"Well… umm…" Fudge said with his eyes wide with terror.

"I think it would be best in High Lord Potter be allowed to continue his questioning of Black," Madam Bones said with a smirk.

"Capital idea," Fudge said as he grasped Bones' suggestion as the lifeline that it was. "Continue on." And with that, Fudge retreated back to the safety of the members of the press to whom he spouted about how he demanded the truth of the Potter betrayal be exposed so that there would no chance of any of the children be in danger of losing their magic.

Harry looked in Fudge's direction as the reporters crowded around him, writing down every word he said.

"It's the nature of the beast," Madam Bones said as she stepped closer to Harry so that they would not be overheard.

Harry looked up at the older woman in confusion, "Huh?"

"People want to elect a good leader, so they listen to the speeches and to the promises," Madam Bones explained, "And they listen to the campaigns and then they vote but only a few look beyond the speeches and the promises. Do you vote for the man who promises to lower taxes or the man who promise to make the streets safer but at a price of higher taxes?"

"I would hope I would vote for the best person for the job," Harry replied.

Bones snorted. "So would I but a pretty face, a soothing voice and tempting promises will always win," she said. "Come Lord Potter let us find out the truth behind your parents' death."

And with that, Madam Bones took down the silencing ward she had placed over Black.

Taking a deep breath Harry walked over to the chair in which Black was bound. "Sirius Black, you said that you were not the secret keeper to Lily and James Potter, is that correct?'

"Yes," Black said. "Merlin help me but I was not their secret keeper. Peter was!"

"Why?" Harry said simply. "Why was Peter chosen?"

"Because nobody would think it was him," Sirius replied. "Everyone already believed that I would be the secret keeper so we switched. Peter would protect them and I would draw them away, be the bird with the broken wing to lure the fox away from the nest. I never once thought that Peter was a Death Eater."

Both Madam Bones and the Headmaster quickly cast silencing wards over the crowd as they reacted to the know that Peter Pettigrew, hero of the war against the Dark Lord, receiver of the Order of Merlin was a Death Eater.

Harry stood there for a moment staring off into space as the crowd settled down then with a nod of his head he turned his attention back to Black.

"Without going into exacting detail, tell me about the events on the night of October 31, 1981 involving my parents and Peter up to the time you were arrested," Harry demanded.

"That night… that night I was to check on Peter, make sure he was still safe but when I got there, his hiding place was empty. No sign of a struggle or a rush to leave. Everything was in the same place it was last time I was there but Peter was missing. I immediately headed for Lily and James'…" Sirius stopped and licked his lips as he remembered that night. "It was gone. When I got there it was all gone. Lily, James, they were dead and you… Hagrid had you in his arms. He said he was taking you to Dumbledore, that you would be safe. Some point around then all of Moody's training kicked in, the civilian was taken someplace safe and I had a criminal to catch." Sirius snorted bitterly. "Just never expected to not be questioned. Guess old Phineas was right when he said never trust someone who proclaimed to be Light because they're the ones who will stab you in the back."

"Mr. Black," Madam Bones stepped forward before Sirius could continue, "Are you saying that you were not question after being arrested?"

"I was arrested for be a Black, my wand was snapped and I was thrown into a small cell in Azkaban before dusk had fallen," Sirius replied. "No. No, I was never questioned or given a trail."

Madam Bones turned at looked at Dumbledore with a determined gaze.

Dumbledore bowed his head. "It was an unfortunate time for all of it. And I would remiss in my duties to not say that some procedures were overlooked at time when the guilt of the person was without question."

"Not that any of that matters," Fudge chimed in. "After all Black was also sentenced for the murder of one wizard and 12 Muggles."

"What is it about the wizarding world and assumptions?" Harry grumbled.

"Inbreeding," Sirius replied. "Or at least that's what Lily always said."

A number of non-purebloods snickered at Black's statement.

"And what do you mean by that comment, Mr. Potter?" Fudge demanded as he ignored Black's comment.

Harry shook his head with a sigh as he turned back to Sirius. "Mr. Black, tell me about what happened when you confronted Peter about his betrayal."

"I had finally cornered Peter after hunting him for most of the night when he suddenly shouted out that I had betrayed Lily and James and then the street exploded," Sirius said.

"What do you think caused the explosion?' Harry asked.

"Peter," Sirius replied. "I think… I know he caused the explosion."

"Why would he cause the explosion?" Harry demanded.

"To cover his escape," Sirius replied. "Peter is… we all were Animagi. Peter can change into a rat. He must have used the explosion to escape down the sewers."

"And you did not in any way shape or form causes the explosion that took the life of 12 Muggles?" Harry asked.

"The only thing I did was confront him," Sirius replied. "I was going to arrest him when the street exploded."

Harry nodded his head before stepping back. Turning to face the crowd, Harry announced, "I, High Lord Potter, declare Sirius Orion Black to be innocent of all charges." Harry then turned to Fudge and said, "The Ministry has two days to bring me my parents' betrayer."

The Healer from St Mungo's rushed over to start treatment on Black.

Fudge mouth dropped opened and then closed with a snapped at the teeth came together. "Stop what you're doing," Fudge said to the Healer before turning to Lord Potter. "Who do you think you are to declare this man innocent?" he demanded. "That man was found guilty under a court of law!"

"Continue on," Harry said to the Healer. Turning to Minister Fudge, Harry says, "For what crime?"

"For the betrayal of the Potters and the death of one wizard and 12 Muggles," Fudge replied as he ignores the Healer who was treating Black.

Harry blinked a couple of time as he took in Fudge's words. "Are you stupid or deaf?" Harry finally said.

"I'm the Minister of Magic!" Fudge declared in outrage

"And I'm High Lord Harry James Potter and I'm the one who declared Breith Chríochnaitheach, so I outrank you and the Wizengamot, isn't that correct, Chief Warlock Dumbledore?"

Those who were party to the conversation between Fudge and High Lord Potter turned their attention to the Headmaster.

Dumbledore bowed his head slightly towards Harry. "I'm afraid that High Lord Potter is correct, Minister," Dumbledore declared. "In matter such as this the person who calls for a Breith Chríochnaitheach has final judgment on those presented before them."

Fudge sputtered in outrage. "Then I'll write a law that changes it!"

Harry laughed darkly. "I'm sure the founding lines will be happy with that," he said.

"Yes, very pleased," a woman wearing robes with a Hogwarts patch on it purred dangerously.

"And you are, madam?" Fudge demanded.

"Professor Aurora Sinistra, great-granddaughter of the head of the Sinistra line," the woman introduced herself. "I'm sure that my great-grandfather would be pleased to hear you want to limit the powers of the founding lines, Minister, after all great-grandfather says a little bit of revolution is good for the soul and the economy."

"What… what do you mean by that?" Fudge demanded.

"I mean even my squib oh so great-uncle Guy Fawkes knew that sometime to effect changes you need to destroy what is blocking your way," Sinistra stated sinisterly.

Fudge looked at Professor Sinistra with confusion in his eyes while those who were more knowledgeable about the Muggle world snickered behind their hands.

"So Minister Fudge when can I expect Peter Pettigrew to be delivered to me," Harry asked.

"Ahhh…" Fudge said as he looked around as if Pettigrew would suddenly appear. Noticing Madam Bones, he turns her and says, "Madam Bones, when can the Aurors capture Pettigrew?"

Bones closes her eyes and exhaled slowly before opening her eyes. "Ministry Fudge as you know full well that locating and capturing someone who is an Animagus is a difficult task. Pettigrew being an unregistered one makes that task 100 times harder."

"Are you saying that it can't be done?" Fudge demanded.

"No. I'm saying it will take time, probably more time than we have," Bones admitted.

"Perhaps Mr. Potter will accept an oath that the Ministry will capture Pettigrew before he is finished with his schooling in return canceling the Breith Chríochnaitheach," Dumbledore suggested with all the charm of a used car salesman as he spoke to Fudge.

"Yes. Yes, that a capital idea," Fudge said as he ignored Harry's presence.

"High Lord Potter would not be willing to cancel the Breith Chríochnaitheach after all the Ministry has had 10 years to find my parents' betrayer," Harry growled. "And instead of doing your job and making sure all the guilty parties were punished, you sent an innocent man to prison."

"Lord Potter," Rita Skeeter pushed herself forward, "Are you saying you will allow a generation of witches and wizards to lose their magic because you wanted revenge?"

"No, Ms. Skeeter, I am not," Harry said. A number of people sighed in relief at Harry's words, only to be disappointed by what Harry said next. "I'm doing it for justice. The Ministry had 10 years to bring my parents justice; then when I called for Breith Chríochnaitheach they waited for 5 days before presenting an innocent man before me. The Ministry then had the nerve to argue over me using Veritaserum because of the cost. So tell me Ms. Skeeter, who really is to blame if all these young witches and wizards lose their magic?"

Rita looked around her, she looked at the people from the Ministry, from the Wizengamot and then at the students. She licked her lips nervously as she tried to figure out an answer to High Lord Potter's question.

"Besides they might not lose their magic at all," Harry said as he held out hope to them who believe their fate was sealed. "It will be Magic that decides the punishment, not I. And there is always hope that someone will discover that rat before time is up."

"Boney miss. Boney miss," a voice called out as something tugged on Madam Bones' robes.

Madam Bones turned and looked down at ancient looking house elf who was dress in what at one time had been a very nice tea towel. "Yes?" she said in confusion.

"This is for Boney miss. Prongsie said Inky was to give this Boney miss," the house elf said as he held up a bird cage with a rat inside of it.

Madam Bones took the cage from the house elf, which disappeared with a pop. Raising the cage up so that it was eye level, she peered closely at the animal.

"Wormtail," Remus snarled as he glared at the animal with hatred.

"Wormtail?" Madam Bones said as she glanced over at Remus.

"It was Peter's nickname from when were at Hogwarts," Remus explained.

Bones lowered the cage. "Then it appears we have captured Peter Pettigrew, High Lord Potter," she declared.

"I know," Harry said simply as a smug smile pulled at his lips.

Bones stared at Harry in shock. "You knew," she said in a voice barely louder than a whisper.

"I know a lot of things," Harry replied.

"How?" Bones demanded.

Harry smiled. "You'll know soon enough. Soon everyone will know."