Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Dean stared at Bobby who was still asleep on the couch. After Sam had left him in the barn Castiel had come back and taken him to Bobby’s, not an experience he was eager to repeat. He didn’t know what he was going to tell Bobby, hell he didn’t know what to believe himself. It seemed to be Sam, a pretty cold and unemotional Sam, but still Sam. And it meant he still had his brother in some way even if his heart felt like it had been ripped to shreds. A low moan from the couch brought him out of his thoughts and he watched as Bobby slowly woke up.

“Take it easy Bobby, we’re safe at your place.”

“Dean?” Bobby sat up and looked around.
“What the hell happened?” He demanded and Dean shrugged.

“Other than an angel knocking you out?” Dean asked and Bobby stared at him in shock even as he remembered the thing that looked like Sam reaching out to touch him.
“Bobby?”

“He said sorry, when he knocked me out.” He said and Dean sighed.

“Yeah, we sort of need to talk about that but.....got anywhere with wards like the barn had?”

“Yeah, why?” Bobby asked suspiciously and Dean ran a hand through his hair.

“Because it’s something that cannot be over heard by anything.” Dean told him and Bobby nodded before getting up and motioning for Dean to follow him. They went down some stairs and then walked into a circular room. There was a devils trap on the ceiling and floor and cabinets that probably held weapons.
“Bobby this is...”

“Solid iron and completely coated in salt. Also has pretty much all the wards we had in the barn. Nothing’s getting in here.” Bobby admitted and Dean grinned.

“You built a panic room.” He teased and Bobby shrugged.

“I had a weekend off.”

“You’re awesome.” Dean told him and Bobby just grumbled before taking a seat.

“Gonna tell me what’s going on now?” He demanded and Dean sighed before leaning against the wall and then sliding down it to sit on the floor.

“You mean like the fact that my brother is now an angel and was the one to give me the nice mark on my arm while pulling me out of hell?” He asked sarcastically and Bobby’s jaw dropped.

“What?” He whispered and Dean nodded.

“Yeah, that was really Sam that knocked you out and brought you back here. Apparently he was found in Heaven and given the choice to join the halo brigade in order to see me again and help out. And it sucks cause he’s not really Sammy anymore.” Dean said, closing his eyes against the tears that wanted to fall. He nearly jumped when he felt a hand land on his shoulder and he opened his eyes to find Bobby kneeling in front of him.

“Are you sure it’s him? Or that they’re really angels?” Bobby asked and Dean nodded.

“Castiel showed me his first meeting with Sam, it’s really him he’s just.....angels don’t have free will Bobby and they don’t feel stuff like we do. That’s what Castiel told me and seeing Sam.....it’s like his emotions have almost been shut off. He still cares about me but not like before. He remembers everything too, he just doesn’t feel things the same way. We can’t....he won’t be using his body when we see him again, apparently the fact that he’s Sam is being kept secret or something from a lot of the other angels. So no calling him Sammy or anything. He’s going by Samuel though, guess it’s a common enough name for them to not realise.” Dean explained bitterly and Bobby closed his eyes.

“I am so sorry Dean. Did...did they explain why they pulled you out of hell?”

“Apparently God has work for me.”

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Castiel looked over as Samuel joined him, studying his students’ vessel. The young man was tall though not quite as tall as Sam had been and his hair was several shades lighter, more a dark blonde. It was also worn a lot shorter and the vessel had blue eyes like his own. Castiel admitted he didn’t understand a lot of things about humans but he had a feeling that Dean would not like the looks of Samuel’s vessel.

“Are you settled?” Castiel asked and Samuel nodded.

“Still feels a little....odd but I am adjusting.” He answered.

“Good. Come, we have to join the others in defending a Seal.” With that they vanished from the factory.

```````````````````````````````````````
“Olivia?” Bobby called as they entered the apartment. Then he froze, making Dean look over in that direction too. He swallowed as he saw the pool of red liquid and then a shoe at its edge. Bobby immediately turned and left the apartment, leaving Dean to move closer.

“Bobby?” He called out but there was no reply so he went over to investigate, noticing the salt line between the two rooms. He almost gagged at the sight of the woman laying on the floor, her ribcage forced open and her body almost completely split open. He took a deep breath and then walked over to her weapons closet and picked up the EMF meter.
“Olivia was rocking the EMF meter.” He muttered to himself.
“Bobby, you alright?” He asked as the older hunter walked back in.

“I called some hunters nearby-“

“Good. We could use the help.” Dean commented.

“Except, they ain't answering their phones either.” Bobby finished, putting his phone away. He couldn’t look at Olivia’s body and Dean couldn’t blame him.

“I’ve never seen a spirit do this much damage before.” Dean said and Bobby nodded before leaving again but this time Dean followed, there wasn’t much he could do for Olivia.

````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Come out, come out, whoever you are.” Dean muttered, holding his shot gun at the ready. He stopped walking as his breath began to fog the air.

“Dean Winchester.” A female voice called and he started to turn around.
“Still so bossy.” She looked at him with a smile as he turned to face her completely, raising his weapon at her. She was dressed in dirty clothes and her hair was down to her shoulders. Unlike the other ghosts she didn’t look as dirty.
“You don't recognize me?” She asked.
“This is what I looked like before that demon cut off my hair and dressed me like a slut.”

“Meg?” Dean asked and she broke into a big smile.

“Hi.” She greeted and he just stared at her unbelievingly. She took a few steps towards him, hands in the air.
“It's okay. I'm not a demon.”

“You're the girl the demon possessed.” He realised and she nodded, lowering her hands.

“Meg Masters. Nice to finally talk to you when I'm not... you know... choking on my own blood.” She took another step and Dean began to back away, still aiming the gun at her.
“It's okay. Seriously, I'm just a college girl. Sorry, was. I was walking home one night and got jumped by all this smoke. Next thing you know, I'm a prisoner.” She raised a hand to her temple.
“In here. Now, I was awake. I had to watch while she murdered people.” She said and Dean listened, swamped by guilt and regret.

“I'm sorry.”

“Oh, yeah? So sorry you had me thrown off a building?”

“Well, we thought-“ He started but she cut him off.

“No, you didn't think! I kept waiting, praying. I was trapped in there, screaming at you "just help me, please!"! You're supposed to help people, Dean. Why didn't you help me?”

“I- I'm sorry.”

“Stop saying you're sorry!” Meg shouted, hitting him hard enough to knock him to the floor. He managed to get up on his hands.

“Meg. Meg...” He tried but she kicked him in the face, making him fall backwards again. She kicked away the shotgun as he rolled to his side, grunting from the pain. She took a few steps towards him and he held out his hand to her as he rolled to his back to see her.
“We didn't know!” Dean told her as he struggled to get up and she bent down in front of him.

“No.. You just attacked. Did you ever think there was a girl in here? No. You just charged in, slashing and burning. You think you're some kind of hero?” She snarled.

“No, I don't.” Dean answered quietly. She grabbed him by his jacket and pulled him closer.

“You're damn right. Do you have any idea what it's like to be ridden for months by pure evil... while your family has no idea what happened to you?”

“We did the best we could.” He argued weakly and she slammed him to the floor before standing up and kicking him hard.

“It wasn't just me, Dean. I had a sister. A little sister. She worshipped me.” Meg said and Dean stared up at her.
“You know how little siblings are, right? How they'll do anything for you. She was never the same after I disappeared. She just... she just got lost. And when my body was lying in the morgue. Beat up. Broken.”

“Meg...” He slowly turned away from her on his elbows.

“Do you know what that did to her? She killed herself!” She kicked him hard again causing him to fall flat on the floor again.
“Because of you, Dean! Because all you were thinking about was your family, your revenge and your demons. 50 words of latin a little soon and I'd still be alive.” Dean looked up at her again.
“My baby sister would still be alive. That blood is on your hands, Dean!”

“You're right.” Dean whispered and she kicked him again. Dean crawled away into the room at the end of the hall, holding out a hand to Meg in surrender. She stood in the doorway and he fell to the floor, pulling a gun as he turned onto his back. He aimed it at her and she pushed off the doorway, smiling as she walked towards him.

“Come on, Dean. Did your brain get french-fried in hell? You can't shoot me with bullets.”

“I'm not shooting you.” He answered and then raised his gun to the ceiling, causing her to look up, and he shot the wire holding an old circular iron lamp. It fell over her and she vanished. Dean covered his head as it fell and then looked up to see the results.
“Iron.” He muttered before rolling over again, clutching at his stomach and grunting at the pain.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````
“Excellent job with the witnesses.” Were the first words out of Castiel’s mouth.

“You were hip to all this?” Dean demanded angrily.

“I was, uh, made aware.” The angel admitted.

“Well, thanks a lot for the angelic assistance. You know, I almost got my heart ripped out of my chest.”

“But you didn't.” Castiel pointed out calmly.

“I thought angels were supposed to be guardians. Fluffy wings, halos.. You know, Michael Landon. Not dicks.” Dean snapped and Castiel frowned, remaining calm and kind around Dean was harder than he had thought when he’d made that promise to Samuel.

“Read the bible. Angels are warriors of God. I'm a soldier.”

“Yeah? Then, why didn't you fight?” Dean practically snarled.

“I'm not here to perch on your shoulder. We had larger concerns.” Castiel tried again.

“Concerns? There were people getting torn to shreds down here! And by the way, while all this is going on, where the hell is your boss, huh? If there is a God?”

“There's a God.” Came a new voice and Dean whirled to see a stranger. He studied him, taller than Dean with hair a little darker than and as short as his, blue eyes but something....

“Samuel?” The new angel nodded calmly.
“Well I'm not convinced. 'Cause if there's a God, what the hell is he waiting for, huh? Genocide? Monsters roaming the earth? The freaking apocalypse? At what point does he lift a damn finger and help the poor bastards that are stuck down here?”

“The lord works-“ Castiel tried.

“If you say "in mysterious ways", so help me, I will kick your ass.” Dean grumbled and Samuel hid a small smile while Castiel threw his hands up in surrender for a moment. The three of them stood in silence for a while.
“So, Bobby was right... about the witnesses.” Dean finally said and then walked closer to the two heavenly beings.
“This is some kind of a... sign of the apocalypse?” he asked and they both nodded.

“That's why we're here. Big things afoot.” Sam answered and Dean groaned.

“Do I wanna know what kind of things?” He asked and Sam shook his head.

“I sincerely doubt it, but you need to know. The "Rising of The Witnesses" is one of the 66 seals.” Castiel explained.

“Okay. I'm guessing that's not a show at Seaworld.”

“Those seals are being broken by Lilith.” Samuel added but Dean could see he’d managed to make his brother amused with his Seaworld comment and he was happy about that. And then Dean realised what Sam had said.

“She did the spell. She rose the witnesses.” He said and Castiel nodded.

“Mm-hmm. And not just here. 20 other hunters are dead.” The older angel informed him.

“Of course. She picked victims that the hunters couldn't save so that they would barrel right after us.” Dean worked it out.

“Lilith has a certain sense of humour.” Castiel commented.

“Well, we put those spirits back to rest.” Dean told him and Sam sighed.

“Doesn't matter, the seal was broken.” Sam told him.

“Why break the seal anyway?”

“Think of the seals as locks on a door.” Castiel explained.

“Okay. Last one opens and...?”

“Lucifer walks free.” Sam finished for him.

“Lucifer?” Dean demanded and both angels nodded.
“But I thought Lucifer was just a story they told at demon Sunday School. There's no such thing.”

“Three days ago, you thought there was no such thing as us. Why do you think we're here walking among you now, for the first time in 2,000 years?” Castiel asked and Dean’s eyes widened.

“To stop Lucifer.” He said and they both nodded in unison which was kind of creepy.

“It's why we've arrived.” Castiel told him and Dean nodded.

“Well... Bang-up job so far. Stellar work with the witnesses. That's nice.” Dean snapped mockingly.

“We tried. There are other battles. Other seals. Some we'll win, some we'll lose. This one we lost.” Sam told him, something in his eyes pleading for Dean to understand but Dean looked away.

“Our numbers are not unlimited. Six of our brothers died in the field this week. You think the armies of heaven should just follow you around? There's a bigger picture here.” Castiel continued, starting to get angry. He leant in closer to Dean who moved away a bit, not wanting to look at either of them.
“You should show me some respect. We dragged you out of hell. I can throw you back in.” Castiel snapped and Dean looked down, when he looked up Castiel was gone.

“Don’t push him Dean, he can and will do it. I wouldn’t be able to stop him.” Sam whispered and then he too was gone but as he vanished Dean felt the ghost of a touch against his face.

````````````````````````````````````````
Dean bolted upright, staring around the motel room until he saw Castiel sitting at the bottom of his bed.

“Hello, Dean.” The angel greeted and Dean was a bit disappointed to see that he was alone.
“What were you dreaming about?” Castiel asked even as Dean shoved the blanket off himself.

“What, do you get your freak on by watching other people sleep? What do you want?” Dean snapped.

“Listen to me, you have to stop it.” Castiel told him and Dean raised an eyebrow.

“Stop what?” He asked and Castiel raised his right hand, putting two fingers to Dean’s forehead and Dean’s world went white.

TBC...