Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


The next day in the Palace Garden

Footsteps approach her as she sits silently listening next to an old tree. The person that the footsteps belong to sits down a little ways away from her. “I see you found the garden.” At a snort the male voice continues, “All right that was dumb. Jaz told me the reason you can never be found is that you’re bored. So I decide to check around the castle to see if I could find you.”

“You are sounding a little bit like a stalker,” Alex says opening her eyes to look at Nathaniel. “What is the real reason you searched for me.”

Sighing the Prince answers, “Truthfully? You interest me. I also had some questions I’ve wanted to ask you.” At an inquisitive sound he continues, “Well first in my mind is what is with the puppy and target thing you and Jaz do?”

“What did Jaz tell you?” asked the thief.

“I have no idea. All I could make out was ‘Alex’. That and a very cute blush,” Nate looks over at Alex.

With a slight shrug she says, “It is pretty simple. Jaz has boys chasing after her all the time. I call them puppies because that is how they act. Jaz calls them target because she says that is what I should use them for. Here is a question for you. Why did Jaz call you my puppy?”

Blushing Nate stutters, “Well… that is… I mean… Oh blast it all!”

Watching the boy trip over his words and the blush darken the obvious hits Alex, “Oh.” Putting on the mask of the ‘Master Thief’ she continues, “You can forget about anything happing. Because nothing is going to happen, understand?”

Getting up Alex leaves the down cast boy wondering farther into the garden. “You were a little harsh ma’am,” comes a voice from behind a bush. After a few seconds of Alex questioning her sanity a young woman stands up from behind the bush.

“So? I do not need someone trailing me around like a love sick puppy,” snaps Alex.

Pushing some of her red hair behind her ear the woman speaks, “You should give the Prince a chance. Plenty of girls would love to be where you are.”

“Let them! I do not need anybody. Especially a guy,” Alex glares at the woman.

Staring at her the woman observes, “You think it would make you weak. Love isn’t a weakness,” she continues ignoring the squawk of ‘Love?!’ “It is a strength. You remind me of another person I knew. He thought love would make him weak; that to be strong he had to do everything without help, that you couldn’t show your true emotions to anybody.”

Scoffing Alex turns and walks off, the woman calling “My name is Katrina. You can find me here when you want to talk.”

A few days later in the Garden

Alex sits next to the bush the woman she met a few days ago came out from behind. “I do not understand. Everyone, even Jaz, is upset with me. Nathaniel is sulking and the rest are glaring at me.”

“That’s because you hurt the Prince,” says a familiar voice.

Jumping in surprise Alex then grabs her ribs in pain.

“Sorry,” apologizes Katrina. “I didn’t mean to startle you.”

Confused the thief asks, “What kind of person gets upset by what I said?”

“A kind of person who likes you, a person not raised to be unemotional,” explains the woman.

Running a hand through her bangs she says, “He is a male. All the males I know do not…”

“The males you know do not have the luxury of being able to,” interrupts Katrina. “Tell me about yourself.”

Blinking in confusion Alex opens her mouth to protest only to be interrupted by Katrina saying, “Just tell me child.”

“I grew up on the streets. I was stealing as long as I can remember. I was about six when Nan caught me. She taught me to read, write, do math. She taught me about healing and Latin too. I still stole though. I meet S… my first partner when I was ten. We worked together for about four years. After that I worked as hard as I could to attain the title of Master Thief. Jaz attached herself to me a bit over a year ago,” Alex tells emotions running through her voice throughout.

Katrina nods, “You made a persona of a male thief. The only other people that knew you weren’t were Nan?, your partner, and Jaz. Sounds to me like you haven’t had much of a chance to become Alex, the female thief, the one who can be herself without the chance of getting hurt. Perhaps it time for you to be yourself, your true self. You have people around that care and will help.”

“Being yourself is dangerous. Jaz only gets away with it because I protect her,” she protests.

The woman jumps in, “And you now have the Royal family themselves to protect you.”

“I have to think,” states Alex.

Katrina nods and tells her, “If you need to speak again I’ll be here. The Princes call me Druid, you can too.” She then leaves the girl alone.

The throne room the next day

Opening the door a little Alex peers in and silently curses when she sees all the people in the room. Sighing she squares her shoulders and enter the room weathering the glares. Walking to in front of Nathaniel she asks, “Can I talk to you privately?”

“You can speak to him right here thief,” answers the Queen.

Alex quickly glares at Carmela before facing Nathaniel. “Ego contristo…” she then sighs and says again, “I am sorry.”

At the soft apology Nadie gasps in surprise, and Jaz drops the scroll she was carrying.

“I would prefer to do this in private but I suppose that I deserve the discomfort. I am not used to having a… a puppy. In fact I have never had one. I am a Master Thief, I make myself look like a boy for my job, I am… not normal. I do not understand these… feelings? I… I do not know what I know. I do know though that I am sorry,” Alex stumbles through the apology.

At the silence that comes after her apology, the thief drops her head and gives a quick nod before leaving the room.

After leaving the throne room she quickly retreats to her room. As she sits on her bed a tear falls from one of her eyes. Wiping it onto her hand she stares at it in shock. She sits there staring at the wetness until a knock sounds on her door a little while later. Quickly wiping her hand on her pants she says, “Intraveritis (Enter).”

“I’ll take that to mean ‘enter’ and not ‘go away’,” Nathaniel gives a small laugh as he enters the room. He walks to a nearby chair and sits in it. “It’s my turn to apologize. I was shocked by your apology, so shocked I couldn’t understand it right away. I’d like to accept it, if you’re still offering it?” at a shocked nod he continues, “Good. I like that you’re not one of those girls that automatically fall in love with me. It’s one of the things that attracts me to you, you being pretty is also a plus. Perhaps because I’m the heir I think to much on something intimate, and advanced, when I should be looking for something more beginning? Perhaps… friendship?”

“A… friend?” she gives a little laugh, “I’m not sure I have ever had one of those, or know how to be one.”

Nate gives a small smile, “You do a pretty good job with Jaz. Granted it’s a bit more like a odd sibling/parent type relationship than friendship but it’s not too much different.”

“So treat you like Jaz?” Alex asks.

Nodding he says, “Without all the ordering about stuff but yes somewhat.”

“Amicus (a friend) I kind of… like that sound of that,” she says. “Now what?”

Holding out a hand Nate answers, “I would like to say hug but for now I’d say shake hands.”

Alex reaches out slowly and grabs his hand. As they shake she gives Nathaniel a small smile. “Amicis. Friends.”

“Amicis,” Nate agrees.
Chapter End Notes:
Tell me if this sucks as much as I think it does will you?