Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Alex’s Room a week later

“So she’s the reason the guards come in smelling like apples?” laughs Nate.

Lounging on her bed Alex smirks, “Yes. It is one of her favorite things to do to them.”

“Jaz is something else isn’t she?” he asks laughing.

As Alex is about to answer the door opens and Nadie sticks her head in. “Alex?”

“Yes Nan? My room is obviously yours as well,” she sarcastically answers.

“Hush child. Have you spoken to the King yet on the false guards?” questions the older woman.

“False guards?” parrots Nate.

“Why would I?” the thief responds.

With a questioning looks Nadie says, “Didn’t Jaz speak to you? I told her that you two should talk to the King about the false guards.”

Letting out a piercing whistle Nathaniel finally explodes, “What are these ‘False Guards’ you keep talking about?”

“Easy Nate, calm yourself,” Alex says worriedly. “I am surprised that you do not know. The false guards are well, they look like guards but the colors are wrong. The blue is the wrong shade, and the silver is more gray than silver. Also if I am going to explain it I would rather do it one time.”

Nodding Nathaniel grabs Alex’s hand and, after waiting for Nadie to move, basically drags Alex, who is staring at their hands, to the throne room.

The throne room

“Okay Nathaniel I’ve had Jaz gather everyone. What is it that is so important?” asks Marcus as he sits on his throne.

“Thank you Father. First,” Nate turns to Jaz. “You had something you and Alex were suppose to tell my Father?”

“Um no?” answers the young girl looking confused.

Nadie speaks up, “What did I tell you, you and Alex should tell the King about?”

“Ohhh… Do I have to? Grumpy’s not gonna be very happy, and I don’t think the King will be either,” she whines in protest.

Alex sighs giving the girl a ‘look’, “Jazmine, just tell him.”

Pouting Jaz turns to the King and says, “Well it’s kinda about the guys that hurt Alex.”

“I thought you said you didn’t know who hurt her?” interrupts Marcus.

“I don’t. No really I don’t. I know what they are but not who they are.” At the older girl’s nod to continue Jaz says, “They’re fake guards, I said fake! Not real ones, man Grumpy ya need to relax,” she adds at Duncan outraged protest. “They kinda look like the real guards but not exactly, they also demand money too. They stay on the outskirts of the Kingdom. All I know about them hurting Alex is that she mentioned them when I asked what happened.”

Putting a hand on her husband’s arm Carmela states, “Perhaps Alex can give us more details about them and the attack.”

Taking a deep breath, remember not to breath too deep, Alex started to talk. “Like Jaz said they look like guards. The blue is off though and the silver is muted. They demand ‘taxes’ from the people who live near the edge of the Kingdom. They take stuff without paying and attack people for alleged crimes.

“As for the attack… I had a job. I was to retrieve a statue from the large house at the edge of the Kingdom. I was told there would be one maybe two people guarding the outside,” she gives a short bark of laughter. “The place was full of false guards, every corner, and every room… except the one with the statue. That should have been my first clue; I was overconfident, and sick. One sneeze and they came pouring through the doors of the room.

“As to what happened after that it is a bit hazy. Just running, fighting, and pain. I cannot tell you how I got away, or how I got home. My guess is I outlived my usefulness, as I think back to it now, it has trap written all over it,” she finishes with a slight growl.

“What I want to know is why no one has ever told me about this,” demands the King.

As the Queen tries to calm Marcus; Nathaniel puts a hand lightly on Alex’s shoulder in question. Rolling her eyes at the display of concern she then gives him a short smile.

She then speaks up, “They are scared. For all they know, you know about them. I have seen a real guard nod at a false one. Honestly up until I met you I too had the thought in my head that they just might be a branch of guards. I doubted it but still thought it.”

“And now Alex?” asked Carmela.

The thief shook her head, “There is now way you would have allowed them to do what they do if you had known about it. So the question is who does control them?”

“A very good question that is, one I intend to find the answer to,” answers the King. “Duncan!...”

“Wait!” interrupts Alex. “You cannot just send the guards out after them. They usually hid when the guards come; in fact they usually know when the guards are going to come. Inferos (Hell) they have a spy.”

A roar of outraged voices goes throughout the room, the loudest being Duncan.

“Calm yourself caput esca (Meathead),” orders the older girl. “I am not saying it is a guard, though it might be. For all anyone knows it could be a palace servant. That is why I think no one other than those of us here should know anything about what we do about the false guards.”

Matthew pipes up, “She’s right. If there is a spy, which evidence points too, then we should keep everything between ourselves.”

“You are correct my son,” Marcus agrees. “Duncan, no one is to know what we discuss not even your second in command. The only problem I can see is that we will probably need your help, Alex, Jazmine, and you are in no condition to help right now Alex.”

“I am fine to help,” argues the thief.

“No you’re not!” chorus Nadie and Nathaniel.

Jaz has her say, “They’re right Alex. Ya can’t move fast much less get into small places and fight. To borrow what ya tell me sometimes ‘Ya’d be a liability’.”

“We can wait, child. They have been here for so long awhile longer will do us no harm,” assures Carmela.

“My wife is correct,” Marcus says. “Besides we need to plan first, so we can do that while you heal. Then we when Nadie says you can we can put the plan into effect.”

Alex growls in annoyance, “Fine! I will be in on the planning and Jaz will not be involved.”

Following Jaz’s yelp of ‘Hey!’ the King partially agrees, “I would be honored to have you be a part of the planning. I cannot promise that we will not have Jaz doing anything, I can promise that we will do are best that she doesn’t have to.”

The youngest whine, “I can so help. Yep I can. I’m small and fast and..”

“Would likely get caught by talking?” interrupts Alex. “Paenitet (sorry), Jazmine this is not a small job or even a job at all this will be a battle and you are far to young to be a major part if any part.”

Huffing Jaz glares at the other thief before running out of the throne room.

“Oh Deus (God) now she is upset with me. While it might not take long for her to forgive me Deus (God) only knows what she will try to do to get even with me… excrementum! (shit!) my room.” The now worried thief makes her way as quickly as she can towards her room.

Silence hangs in the room only to be broken by a chuckle from the healer. Laughter from everyone else soon follows.

The next day in Alex’s room

“Deus damnare stupidus puer! (God damn stupid child!)” yelled a frustrated Alex.

Staring around her room she looks at the empty drawers of the dresser and then to the outfit that lay on the bed, a corset with a light red sheath dress. She then looks at the small towel that she has. Growling she throws the wet towel to the floor and puts on the outfit, minus the corset, then storms out of the room.

The throne room

The doors to the throne room slam open letting in a strangely dressed, for her anyway, Alex. “Jazmine!”

“Eep! Dang she is angry,” yelps Jaz before making a break for it.

Alex, though injured, is angry enough to be faster than Jaz for once. Grabbing the running girl she then gasps in pain. “Where are my clothes?!”

“Alex?! Calm down… breathe… Nana?!” Jaz yells out.

Hurrying over the healer helps hold the upset girl up, “Calm yourself child.”

Nathaniel hurries over and holds up the other side of her.

Breathing for a few minutes Alex finally calms some. “I am fine. Nan, Nate, I am fine now.” As they let her go she faces Jaz, then she groans, “Besides the pain part I just did exactly what you wanted me to do did I not?”

“Are ya sure your okay?” asks a quiet Jaz. At a nod she perks up, “Yep! Ya sure did. But where’s that corset I left ya?”

The older thief lightly swats the back of Jaz’s head, “A corset with healing ribs Jaz? I might not have been very smart to get that upset about this but I am not stupid enough to wear a corset right now.”

“Oooo… Didn’t think of that. But ya look kinda pretty in a simple way. I think the guards are gonna have something new to talk about today,” snickers Jaz.

Sarcastically the older girl says, “Ha, ha. Now where are my clothes?”

“Um I ah... Oh crap. I forgot. Eep!” Jaz then runs to hide behind Marcus, who sits amused.

Nate carefully grabs the now growling thief and starts to led her out of the room, “Now calm down. I’m sure Jazmine will find your clothes. Right Jaz?” At an agreeing sound he continues, “Now let’s go to your room so you don’t have the whole palace talking about this, yes?”

As they walk the halls to her rooms Alex mutters in Latin the whole way.

Laughing the Prince says, “Something tells me Nadie would be washing your mouth out if she heard you.” He then blinks in surprise at the girl’s quiet yelp.

“Don’t tell her?” asks Alex in a sheepish voice.

As they enter her room Nathaniel helps her to her bed before sitting in the chair in the room. “This I have to hear. What exactly does Nadie do to wash your mouth out?”

“You have not sworn around her?” she looks at him.

“Yeah, but I stopped after she swatted me and threatened to wash my mouth out,” he replies.

With a slight laugh she says, “You are lucky. She has a special liquid that she uses in punishment. It burns like inferos (hell).”

“I take it she’s done it to you. I’ll remember not to swear around her,” Nate promises. Looking at the sitting girl he slowly speaks up. “I should return to the throne room.” As he reaches the door he adds, “Jaz is right you know. You do look pretty in that, it’s not your color though.”

A slight blush, almost invisible, spreads across her cheeks as Alex says, “That is why she picked this color. I hate pink.”

Nathaniel laughs as he leaves her looking at where he stood. Shaking her head Alex lies back and waits for Jazmine to come with her clothes, knowing that it could be a while for the hyper girl to remember where she hid them.
Chapter End Notes:
Caput esca actually means the head of the bait. Hey it was either bait or food and I thought since it was an insult Alex would pick bait.