Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


A few days later in the central tower

Alex slowly makes her way around the top of the tallest tower, which happens to be the central one. With sharp eyes she watches the movement of the guards on the ground, and possible places to enter unnoticed. “Not bad, but not good enough.”

“I’m sure that Duncan and my husband will be disappointed,” the Queen walks up the steps to the top of the tower.

Turning around the thief gives a very shallow bow to the woman, “Good morrow, my lady.”

“Good morrow Alex. I’ve told you before you may call me Carmela,” she returns.

“As you wish, Carmela. Now what brings you up here?” asks Alex turning to look back at the guards.

Joining the girl at the battlements of the tower, “It’s about Jazmine.” At a worried look she quickly continues, “It’s nothing really bad. It’s just… well… she smells, as in I don’t believe that she has taken a bath in quite a while. I tried to bring it up but she just said… a lot of something, and then ran. Nadie tried but said that only you could really get her to do something she didn’t want to.”

“Jaz does not love bathing but she does bathe regularly. I cannot imagine why she would not want to,” says a confused Alex. At a pleading look from Carmela she finally answers, “Alright I will get her to bathe, just have a bath ready in her room please along with some soap and towels.”

Carmela gives the thief a kiss on the cheek, “Thank you very much Alex. I’ll have the servants ready a bath.”

As the Queen returns back into the castle the girl rests against the battlements and sighs, “This is not going to be fun.”

Outside of Jaz’s Room

“Let me go, let me go, let me go!” chants a frog marched thief. “I don’t wanna. I got stuff to do.”

Struggling to keep a hold on Jaz, the older thief curses, “Futuo (Fuck) Jazmine! You have never minded taking a bath before, and you need one you smell… like sweat, dirt, and… apples? Who did you throw apples at this time?”

“Do not smell. Let me go! I need to work. Work ya know the only thing that has them keep us here? Eep! Are you sure you should be picking me up? Alex? What are ya doing? Alexxxxxxx…!” a splash cuts off the squeal from the younger girl.

Kneeling down beside the tub Alex watches the girl surface and sputter. “Trust me, you smell. Also what do you mean the only thing that has them keep us here? They would gladly keep you here even if you did not deliver messages.” She helps the pouting girl out of her clothes. Alex then holds out a bar of soap only to be splashed with water. Hair and clothes now soaked the older girl glares at the other, “You do not want me to wash you Jazmine.”

Jaz grabs the bar of soap and sniffs it before making a face and giving Alex a look. “Flowers?”

Smelling the bar the older thief smirks, “Jazmine, Jaz. Just use it. Next time we can ask for some soap that is unscented.”

“Because thieves shouldn’t smell, they need to blend into their enviro… envi… the place around them,” choruses Jaz starting to wash.

“Their environment Jaz,” corrects Alex. She takes the bar of soap when the other girl finishes and starts to wash Jaz’s hair. “I believe that Carmela more than likely picked out the soap. I will tell her why we do not use scented soap later, alright?”

Relaxing and enjoying having her hair washed the younger girl chirps, “Yep!” She then dips under the water when Alex finishes.

Grabbing the two towels left by the servants Alex tosses one to Jaz as she gets out of the tub, and uses the other to dry herself off as best she can. She then leads the girl to the bed and sits behind her after snatching up a comb and brush. “Now what made you think that you had to deliver messages without taking care of yourself?”

“Nothing,” mumbles Jaz only to yelp when the other thief deliberately catches a snag. “Fine. The guard I threw apples at said that Marcus and Carmela and the others only put up with me 'cause I deliver the messages; that if I didn’t do that then I’d be kicked out on the street where I belonged. Ow… Alex!”

Carefully untangling the comb Alex apologizes, “Paenitet (sorry). The Royal family does not put up with you. They quite honestly like you a lot. Also rule number six, you will put taking care of yourself before a job or request. Rule seven, you will tell me things like this, anything that upsets you this much you must tell me. Understand?”

“Yes Alex. He also said that one day ya would get sick of me and figure out ya would be better off without me,” Jaz says softly.

With a growl the older girl asks, “Who exactly Jaz?”

“Promise not to kill him?” pleads the young girl.

With a look of disbelief Alex says, “Why are you protecting him?”

“I’m not. I’m protecting ya. If ya kill him then they’ll kick ya out and right now it’s dangerous. So pleaseeee,” she asks again.

With a sigh she nods, “Alright I will not kill him.”

“The new guard, the one that keeps looking at ya. Ya know dirt colored hair and brown eyes?” answers Jaz.

“I know who you are talking about,” Alex puts the brush down and rests her head on tops of the other girl’s. “I will have a talk with him to make sure he knows to leave you alone, I promise.”

“Okay! Did I tell ya that I found this really neat room the other day? It was full of pictures of all sorts of people, some of them weren’t that pretty but they all wore fancy clothes. And the day before I saw this guard try to do this move I saw Nate do the other day and he tripped on his own sword right into the mud. And…” Jaz chatters on.

The older girl closes her eyes and listens to all the things Jaz had found or seen over the past few days that she was to busy to tell her about. All the while thinking of what exactly she was going to say to the new guard.

The next morning in the throne room

A wide eyed Jaz listens to the King questions Alex.

“Can you tell me why I have a guard, a new guard, in the infirmary with bruises and a broken arm? Also why my healer seems to be being less than gentle with him?” demands Marcus. “And may I remind you that you do work for me now.”

“That spuria (bastard) upset Jaz. And as I have said before she is mine and I will not tolerate anyone hurting her in any shape or form,” rants the older thief.

Carmela looks over at Jaz, “Jazmine, dear child, come here.” When she arrives in front of the queen, Carmela raises her head so she can look in her eyes. “What did the new guard say to upset you, little one?”

When the girl hesitates Alex exasperatedly says, “I already told you he lied. So tell them so they can tell you the same thing puer inepta (silly child).”

“He said that nobody wanted me and that ya only put up with me ‘cause I was fast,” whispers Jaz.

Carmela starts to mutter under her breath about what she should do to him, while Marcus plans to make a stop to talk to him. Nathaniel starts talking about a new sparring partner, while Matthew walks up and gives the younger girl a hug from behind.

“I personal will always want you my dear Jazmine,” Matt says next to her ear.

With a yelp Jaz jumps out of the boy’s arms and hides behind Alex, “Target!”

Nate shares a knowing look with Alex before breaking down in laughter. “Don’t worry brother I’m sure one day she’ll come around to liking you.”

Matt huffs at his brother before smiling at Jaz once more.
Chapter End Notes:
Ah just another day in the life of Jaz and Alex.