Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


The next day in the Library

“So then whenever he started talking bad about me Nana would use her special mouth wash on him. I think he had it done more times than Alex has her whole life. Well what are ya going to teach me today Knowledge? Huh?” asks an animated Jaz.

Josette smiles at the young girl, “Well we’ve worked on numbers for the past few days so let’s do letters.”

“Huh? How am I suppose to work on letters when I don’t know how to read or write?” the thief asks with a confused look on her face.

With a laugh the older girl explains, “Not letters as in messages, but letters like in the alphabet. The things you put together to write words. Those letters.”

“Ohhhh,” breathes Jaz. “Cool! Let’s do this!”

Grabbing a sheet of parchment and something to write with Knowledge starts, “Okay, I’ll write down the alphabet and leave space for you to copy underneath the letters. As you do that I’ll tell you what is what.”

Nodding her head fast in response Jaz stops for a moment, “Ooo dizzy.”

Josette laughs as she finishes writing. Putting the parchment in front of the younger girl she then gives her the quill and asks, “Do you know how to use one of these?”

“Yep!” came the proud answer. “Alex gave me one so I could draw.”

“Good. Now copy what I’ve written down,” the older girl instructs.

For the next two candle marks the two go over the alphabet. Finally Josette tells the younger girl she can go.

Jaz jumps up, “Can I take this to show Nana, and Alex?” she points at the parchment with the alphabet on it.

“Go ahead,” Knowledge tells her.

The thief hugs the other girl, “Thank ya, you’re nice. I like ya. Bye-bye Knowledge.” She then runs out of the library leaving behind a bemused Josette, and an irritated Raymond.

The infirmary

“What part of duck do you not understand?” Alex says as she puts a salve on the cut Nathaniel has received.

Wincing he defends himself, “I was distracted; people don’t normally yell stuff at me while I’m sparring.”

“You were showing off. That is what you were doing. If I knew that by being there I would cause you to grow an ego I would not have asked to watch,” corrects the thief now putting a bandage on his upper arm.

Nathaniel starts to sulk, “No you’re right I shouldn’t have showed off for you. Ow!” Alex looks at him from tightening the bandage, “Well I was; sometimes I just can’t help myself around you.”

“Your self-control does not impress me right now,” she informs him. Grabbing the salve and the rest of the bandage she goes to return them. Coming out of the storage closet she pauses to look at the Prince. His hair lays in disarray hanging down to his collar, while his torso is covered in a thin sheen of sweat from his sparring. As he looks up at her she gets to glance at her favorite part of him; his silvery blue eyes that still have some innocence in them. Catching up to her thoughts Alex shakes her head continuing into the room.

The Prince opens his mouth to say something only to be interrupted by a loud thud coming from the other side of the infirmary doors. “Owiee!” comes a muffled voice.

Alex starts to snicker, recognizing that voice anywhere. Looking towards Nate she mouths ‘Jaz’ to him. His response is silent laughter and a shake of his head. Walking to the doors the thief pushes open the door and looks down at the young girl on the floor. “Forgot that the doors open out again Jaz?”

“Not funny Alex,” the younger girl sulks. Picking herself up she grabs the parchment she had dropped and remembered what she came there for. “Lookie, look, look, lookie! I did the alphabet! Not as fancy and neat as Knowledge but I did it!”

Taking the parchment that’s held out Alex unrolls it and starts to look. A hand drops on her shoulder and Nathaniel’s head appears above the other, ignoring the glare that the older girl shoots him, he too looks at the parchment. “Good work Jaz. Fanciness and neatness will come with practice just like stealing,” Alex says.

“I think you did better than I did the first time Jaz,” congratulates Nate.

“Wee!” she squees in joy as she spins in a circle. ”I wanna show Nana. Is she in there?”

“No, she is in her shop today. She said she would be back the day after tomorrow,” Alex tells her. At the girls pout she adds, “The King has shown an interest in your education…” she sighs at the confused look, “He wants to know what you are learning, so why do you not show him?”

Nathaniel nods in agreement, “Yes I believe that my Father would be very happy to see what you have done today. Besides I think he has a message for you to deliver as well.”

“Cool! Thanks. Bye-bye,” Jaz yells as she runs towards the throne room only to pause and turn to look at the two. “Make with the kissy face already!” She then continues on even faster at the older girl’s yell of ‘Jazmine!’

Turning Alex pokes the laughing Prince in the chest. “Do not encourage her Nate.”

“Why not?” he asks with a smile. “After all I do want to ‘make with the kissy face’ with you.”

With a slight blush she questions, “What happened to being amicis (friends).”

“Some of the best people to ‘make with the kissy face’ with is a friend, but I know what you mean. I’ll not push you, but that doesn’t mean I won’t tease you; after all you look rather pretty with a blush,” he teases.

The thief holds her head high, “Good, because I do not want to kiss you… yet,” she adds softly at the end. She then glares at him when his widening grin alerts her to the fact he heard the ‘yet’. Turning on heel the girl starts to walk away, “I am going to go check and see how caput esca (Meathead) is doing with the changes of the guards.”

After watching the blushing girl until she was out of sight, Nathaniel turns and heads to clean up before going to the throne room while whistling a tune.

Throne Room

As Nate enters the throne room, Jaz looks up and asks, “So did ya make kissy face?”

Blushing himself, under the interested looks of his family, he answers with a smug smile, “No, not yet.

“She said ‘yet’?” squees the little thief. “Wahoo! You’re wearing her down Nate. “

With a laugh he says, “With patience I shall have her heart freely given someday.”

“I’m sure you will my son,” Carmela says.

A slightly worried look enters his eyes, “Do you approve Mother, Father?”

“I’m not entirely sure Nathaniel. One part of me wishes that you would find a proper girl to chose, the other part just wishes you to be happy,” she explains.

Marcus raises his wife’s hand to his mouth and kisses it before answering, “I approve my son. She’s quick; she’s been a great help with the planning. Also I’ve always thought you would need someone your equal, which she certainly is in some things.”

“Oh! My turn. I think you’re already on the way to getting her to really like you. I know she likes ya a little bit ‘cause she fixed you up, right?” Jaz gives her two bits, bouncing on her feet.

Nodding he says, “Yes she did treat the cut I received.”

“See! She woulda just told ya to suck it up if she didn’t like ya at least a little bit,” she informs Nate.

Matthew finally speaks up, “I like her alright enough. You already know I think you’re insane for liking someone that threatened to stab you.”

At the outraged gasp from his mother, and his father’s laughter, Nate growls, “Thanks a lot Matt.”

“My pleasure big brother,” the young prince answers as he sends the heir a smug smile.
Chapter End Notes:
It took me 10 mins. to get the italics to work correctly, in other words not do the whole story. only 3 mins of that was waiting for the page to load. *sighs* I need to go back and do that to other pages. Ta