Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


In the courtyard

“I am telling you that, that area right there is the most susceptible to breaking into,” Alex says once more.

Duncan argues, “We have never had anybody come through there.”

“If they were good, and they were, then you would never know where they came from. Are you not still missing an ivory crucifix?” she asks.

He sputters, “How… how did you know about that? Do you know where it is? If so return it!”

“Calm yourself. I know about it because I knew who stole it. Yes I know where it is, and I was planning on returning it when I was allowed to go outside the Palace,” the thief says in reply to his thundering.

“Oh…” he says at a loss for words.

Raising an eyebrow she continues, “Now are we going to discuss how to cover that area or are you going to yell at me more?”

“I… ah… I’ll adjust the guard’s route to come by this area,” he finally replies.

“Good,” the girl nods before heading towards the castle, “Now it is dinner time and I do not want to miss it. Oh by the way felix natalem, caput esca (happy birthday, meathead).”

With a confused look Duncan informs the guards on the change of route and then heads to join the royal family for dinner.

Dining Room

“Oh inferos (hell) no!” yelps, yes yelps, Alex grabbing a plate with a large slice of cake on it from Jaz.

Jaz whines, “Heyyyy!”

Giving the small girl a glare Alex holds out her hand for the knife, “May I?” After receiving the knife she cuts a not quite small piece and hands that over to Jaz, who only pouts more. “Gratias ago tibi (thank you).”

“Alex, I’m sure that Jazmine can have more than that,” the Queen says.

“Oh no. You have not seen Jaz on sugar, just ask Nathaniel what she is like,” Alex points at the now wincing Prince.

At his family’s questioning looks he says, “Think Jaz but faster and less understandable.”

“Plus add in a headache and exhaustion from just watching her,” adds Duncan. “At least I believe that was from sugar? The day I escorted her to their home to retrieve some things?”

“Yes, I fully admit I set her on the guards. She was the one that picked you, not me,” Alex says defending herself. “And you will be doing some running before bed tonight Jazmine.”

“Fine,” sulks Jaz. She instantly gets into a better mood once she has taken a bite of cake. “Yum!”

After the cake is finished Duncan excuses himself and starts to leave when all of a sudden Jaz jumps up and yelps, “Wait up! Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, umph…” After picking herself up of the floor from running into Duncan she announces, “I got ya something,” in a sing song voice.

After a few moments of silence Alex yells, “For Deus’ (God’s) sake Jaz just give it to him!”

“Eep! Okay, um I got ya this, well really I didn’t get it for you I already had it, and it did belong to ya first until I took it and… um shutting up now?” she concludes at a glare. Jaz then thrusts her hands out holding a small package.

Carefully talking it Duncan opens the package reviling a shiny badge, “My Captain of the Guard badge? You’re the one who stole it? I… I… I thank you for returning this,” he finally says after seeing the glares from various people in the room.

“Welcome, bye-bye now. Oh! And Happy Birthday!” she then gives him a quick hug then runs to Nathaniel and starts chattering about how she stole it.

As a dazed Duncan walks from the room Alex turns a look onto Carmela, “This is a Jaz on sugar,” pointing at the still chattering girl. “All right Jazmine time for a run.”

“Aww, but Alexxxx…” the younger girl whines.

“Now!” orders the eldest thief.

“Yes Alex,” and runs out the door.

Eyes widening Alex yells, “Around the palace not through it!”

That night in Alex’s room

The door to the room opened a crack, but that was enough to wake the sleeping thief. Her hand going to the dagger under her pillow she opens one eye slightly. A person around fifty six inches tall entered the room; but Alex relaxed at the soft voice asking, “Alex?”

“Deus (God) Jaz, are you trying to make me attack you?” the older girl questions as she releases the dagger. Looking through the darkness at the girl’s face she continues, “Why did you wake me Jaz?”

Instead of answering the younger girl walks up to the bed and crawls under the sheets making her way to the head of it. When she reaches it she simply lays her head on Alex’s stomach.

“Did you have an insomnium (bad dream)?” the older girl runs her hand though the others hair. After feeling a nod against her stomach Alex tells her, “Tell me about it.”

Pushing her face deeper in to the other Jaz mumbles, “No.”

“Tell me,” Alex orders using her hand to tilt the girl’s head up to look her in the eyes.

Blinking away a tear the younger thief softly starts, “I dreamed that ya went to get information on the fake guards and they got ya again. Only this time ya didn’t get away.”

“The only reason they were able to get a hold of me was because they knew I was going to be there. When I go this time they will not know,” the older girl tries to comfort her.

“But what if they end up finding out? Ya almost didn’t get away last time,” came the worried response. “I don’t wanna lose ya Alex.”

The older girl wraps her arm around Jaz, “I was sick last time, and we know we can trust everyone that knows the plan. You will not lose me. I will never allow anyone to keep me from you. And you already know I will kill anyone who tries to kill me. So dry your tears and sleep pestis (pest).”

“’Kay,” says the other girl as she wipes away her tears and lays her head back down. “I’m sleeping here though. Night-night.”

Alex lets a soft smile spread across her face as she looks down at the sleeping girl. After a minute she finally closes her own eyes and allows herself to fall asleep once more.

The next morning

A soft knock sounds from the other side of the door, waking the older of the two girls up. Giving a little stretch she looks at the door, “Intraveritis (Enter).”

“Did I wake you? I’m sorry if I did; I’m just looking for Jaz. Nobody can seem to find her… but I see you have,” Nate says quietly as he enters the room.

“Insomnium,” she explains. At a confused look she translates, “Bad dream. She has not been in my room since I was allowed out of the infirmary; she always comes to sleep with me when she has one.”

Sitting in the chair near the bed the Prince tries not to stare at the underdressed thief, “Any idea what it was about? And isn’t that my shirt?”

“It fits. Your Father’s and Duncan’s would be too big, and it would fell wrong to wear Matthew’s, so yes I stole your shirt,” she then grabs one of the small pillows on the bed and throws it at him. “That is for staring,” she explains at his wounded look. “As for the insomnium (bad dream) it was about the false guards catching me again, but without me being able to escape this time.”

Putting the pillow in his lap Nate defends himself, “I wasn’t staring, I just happened to notice it looked familiar.” He then shifts his eyes to Jaz, “I’ve had that dream as well.”

“For Deus’ (God’s) sake, I am not going to be captured, and if I am I will not allow them to kill me. Nothing is going to take me away from yo… her,” she quickly corrects.

Smiling, having heard what she was going to say, Nate walks over to the bed and looks her in the eyes, “I’m glad you will fight; I also hope you will be safe when you do go through with the plan?” At her nod he continues, “Good. I would hate to lose you before I got to ‘make kissy face’ with you.” He teases her before ducking her attempt to swat him. He then quickly leans down and presses a kiss to her forehead and while she is shocked still he does the same to the little thief beside her. “We will be breaking our fast in a candle mark. I’ll go tell everyone that I found Jaz and she’s fine.”

Alex blinks as Nathaniel turns and exits the room. After a few minutes to process all that had happened she looks down at the girl when she says in her sleep, “Mm… kissy face…”

With a scowl the older girl gives a push and watches as Jaz tumbles over the side of the bed.

“Owieee! What was that for?” the younger thief whines.

Looking down at the girl from the bed Alex says instead, “The breaking of fast is in a candle mark. You might want to go to your room and change. Though I think Matt would enjoy seeing you in his shirt.”

Jaz scowls while she blushes; she then proceeds to stick her tongue out at Alex, who then catches it. “Leh do!”

“Do not stick it out unless you want to lose it,” replies a smug Alex before she releases the other’s tongue. “Now shoo.”

Making a face at the older girl Jaz then runs out the door just being missed by a small throwing dagger. What she doesn’t see is the wide smile on Alex’s face as she leaves, and she doesn’t hear the bark of laughter that follows.
Chapter End Notes:
When I wrote 'around the castle, not through it' I myself wasn't sure if I meant through, meaning in it; or through, and in crashing through the walls. One never knows what a hyper Jaz can do.