Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


A few days later

“Nathaniel I should be training,” she states as he drags her down the hall.

Turning to look at her he argues, “You have been training nonstop for days.”

Giving him a look she corrects him, “I have been taking breaks.”

“True…” he looks at her then smirks, “Nadie told you to?”

She sighs, “More like threatened. Where are we going?”

“Somewhere to have a bit of fun. Now trust me,” Nate says putting his hands over the girl’s eyes.

Alex snorts, “I do not trust people. Why must you have your hands covering my eyes?”

“I want to surprise you, and it’s either my hands or a blindfold, pick one,” he maneuvers them around a person.

Staying silent for a bit she finally answers, “Fine. At least with your hands I can still see some things.”

Putting his fingers closer together the Prince leads them into a building and turns her to the left before whispering in her ear, “Ready?”

“As long as there are no flowers involved? Yes,” she tells him.

“Hmm. Note to self take flowers out of her room before she sees them… oof!” he grunts as she elbows him. “Be nice or I won’t let you participate in the fun.” He then takes his hands away from her eyes.

Blinking to get used to being able to see again, she looks in front of her to see a horse so black it has a shine of blue to it. Inhaling in awe she gasps, “He is gorgeous. He is a he correct?”

“Yes he’s a he. His name is Gabriel, he’s a stallion. He also is a bit ornery, so if you want I can find a better behaved gelding or mare for you to ride.” He tells her.

Turning to glare at him she starts, “Do not dare… Ride? We are going riding?”

Nodding Nate explains, “I thought you’d like riding, so I told Father of my plan and brought you here. When I tried to think of a horse for you to ride, Gabriel just seemed like he would be a challenge for you, which I thought you might like. I probably should have asked, have you ever even ridden?”

With an insulted sniff Alex states, “Of course I have. Seth and I borrowed some horses when we were eleven.”

“Borrowed?” comes the disbelieving question.

Once again she ‘looks’ at him, “Yes borrowed. You see when you steal you either keep it or give it to someone else. When you borrow you return to the owners. Which we did.”

He raises his hands in as if to hold off an attack, “Okay, okay, you borrowed a horse and rode it. Do you want to ride this loving…” as he pats the horse it turns it’s head and nips him, “Ow! This monster?”

With a short laugh she looks the horse in the eye, “I think we will get along just fine Gabriel.” She pats the horse and doges the nip aimed at her.

“Alright, I always knew you were insane but okay. I’m going to go get my horse ready, why don’t you do the same?” Nate tells her before walking off to another stall.

Watching him walk off she faces the horse, “Come on boy, and let us get you ready.” Leading him out of the stall she ties him to a post and stops. “Um Nate?”

He sticks his head out of a stall, “Yes?”

“I know how to ride a horse, not how to get one ready,” she says a little sheepish.

Laughing the Prince comes out of the stall and goes over to her after grabbing some brushes. “Well he’s already been groomed today so we just have to brush him. Here hold this,” he hands her a large brush. Stepping behind her he takes her hand and starts brushing Gabriel. “Like this, go in the direction that the fur lays.”

Her movements a little stiff she tells him, “You could just show me you know?”

“But where’s the fun in that?” he asks in return releasing her hand and stepping back.

Looking over her shoulder she shakes her head at him, “You are impossible.”

“That’s one of the things people love about me,” he shoots back.

After she finishes brushing Gabriel, Nate grabs a hoof pick and leans down next to the horse’s front leg. “Now watch,” he runs his hand down the horse’s leg and picks up the hoof. He then starts digging out the dirt that’s packed in the bottom.

Alex’s eyes drift towards a different sort of bottom before she catches herself. When the Prince stands up again and asks if she saw what he did, she blushes, “Yes. I will do the rest.”

Raising an eyebrow at the blush he stands near the head of the horse and takes in his view.

“Nathaniel! Tell me if I am doing this right or not. Do not stare at my auritulus (ass),” she snaps at him while cleaning out the hoof. Then after a confused noise she translates, “My ass stupidus (idiot).”

He yelps, “I wan’t, I was… okay I was, but it’s such a nice view… Yes you’re doing it right. I’m just going to go get the tack.”

Putting the hoof down she sighs, briefly leaning against the horse, “Gabriel. Your master is… I have no words sometimes.”

By the time Nate returns with the tack, Alex has finished cleaning the hoofs. Nate continues explaining each piece of tack and how to put it on the horse. After they finish tacking Gabriel, Nate goes and starts taking care of the horse he is going to ride.

Just outside of the Palace

Two horses walk with their riders towards the forest on the other side of the Palace. The Prince grins as he looks at the other rider. The thief is relaxed more than he has ever seen her. With a wicked smirk she turns to him, “Race you!” and takes off at a gallop.

Urging his own mount into a gallop his smile widens as he hears laughter drift back from the riding ahead. “Come on Raphael, let’s go get them.” The chestnut stallion snorts as if agreeing.

Following the girl into the forest they take the main path until all of a sudden she takes an almost invisible path. Curious he follows, both mounts now at a walk. “Where are we going?”

“You surprised me, now I surprise you,” she calls back.

Minutes pass and they finally come upon a small lake. Hopping off of Gabriel, Alex gives him a pat before tying him to a tree. Leaving Nate to follow her example she climbs onto a large rock by the shore of the lake.

As the heir ties his horse he watches as she lays back and looks up at the sky. Coming up to the rock he gets up on the other side where there’s room. Watching birds of all colors fly above them he asks, “What is this place?”

Looking at him out of the corner of her eye she sighs, “Seth found it one day before we met. He showed me it a year before he died. We would come out here and just watch the sun rise or set, or just watch the clouds.”

“Have you ever shown anyone else this place?” Nate asks quietly.

Time passes and just as he gives up hope on an answer she says, “No. Not even Jaz.”

Turning over onto his side he looks at her. He leans up on his arm, “Thank you for showing me this place Alex.” Reaching his head forward he laughs softly at the hard look that enters her eyes. “Don’t worry.” He slowly bypasses her mouth and gives her a short kiss on the cheek. He then brings his free hand up and pushes some of her hair behind her ear, then trails his fingertips down her cheek before smiling and rolling onto his back once again.

Her mouth open in surprise she exhales before snapping it shut. Clearing her throat she changes the subject, “What is going on with Matthew recently?”

“Oh, he’s trying to woo Jaz,” Nate tells her.

Turning her head Alex looks at him, “Woo? Well all he really is doing is, how did she put it? Ah yes, ‘creeping her out’.”

“Yes, woo. He really likes her. I don’t have a clue what to tell him though,” he says scratching his head.

Thinking for a little bit she finally sighs, “Alright. I will talk to him. He is not a bad kid, and Jaz could do worse.”

“Really? Thanks. He’s been bugging me for days,” he says relieved.

She blinks then stares at him, “How long have you been thinking of asking me to talk to him?”

He laughs a little sheepishly, “Um, the past two days? I thought I would ask you when you were in a good mood. Are you angry?”

“Annoyed, but you can make it up to me,” Alex says before giving a evil smile. “I am in need of a sparring partner.”

Looking at her he starts to smirk, “Sure. I always enjoy winning a sparring match.”