Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


The next day in Matt’s Room

The youngest prince lies on his bed reading a book. Just as he’s about to turn the page a knock sounds on the door to his room. “Who is it?” he shouts.

“It is Alex,” comes the muffled reply. “May I enter?”

He sighs in disappointment, “Come in.” After she has entered he asks, “What brings you here? You do know that my brother’s room is across the hall right?”

“Why would I go to your brother’s room? Do not answer that,” she held up a hand when he opened his mouth. “I am here to talk about Jaz, and you wooing her.”

Glaring at the older girl he says, “I will not stop trying to woo her. I like her and I want to get to know her better.”

She glares back, staring at him until he adverts his eyes, “I have no problem with you wooing her, and in fact I prefer you over the others that have expressed interest. The problem I have it the way you are trying, it is ‘creeping’ her out.”

With a slight pout he says, “I’m doing everything I’ve heard of. What my brother has done, what others have done. Where am I going wrong?”

Eyes narrowing she says “What your brother has done? Who has he… never mind. Where you are going wrong is that Jaz is not a normal girl.

“Jaz lost her parents when she was young, as far as I can guess she was around six. I meet her when she was twelve. When I took her in she was finally allowed to act like a child. She has embraced that, she does not enjoy the thought of becoming an adult.

“Take the target quirk, she calls the boys that pursue her targets, as she has put it ‘they are only good for target practice’. Right now you are reminding her of one of them. My advice is to become her friend first. Enjoy your childhood for a little, and then show her that growing up is not such a bad thing.”

Matt blinks in astonishment, “That has got to be the most I have ever heard you say at one time, maybe even total.”

Once again glaring the thief grabs a pillow for the nearby chair and chucks it at the laughing Prince.

“Okay, okay, I won’t joke about this anymore,” he surrenders. “So I should try making friends first?” At her nod he continues, “I think I can do that. Isn’t that what you and my brother are doing?”

Her eyes widen, “We are just friends. That is all.”

“Sure. If you say so,” smirks the young boy. “I’m going to go find Jaz and see if she’ll consent to being my friend. See you!” As he runs out the door a small dagger imbeds itself into the door frame seconds after he passes it.

Alex sighs as she goes to retrieve the dagger. “I am either out of practice or I am getting soft.”

In the palace garden

“These are Morning Glory flowers, the Queen’s favorite. As their name implies they bloom in the morning and close later in the day. Now each flower only blooms once, the next day another flower blooms and so on. As you can see they’re a vine plant… Good morrow young Prince,” Katrina interrupts herself as she sees Matthew.

“Good morrow Druid, Jazmine. I was wondering if I could talk to Jaz for a bit?” he questions.

“Of course my Prince,” she answer ignoring Jaz’s frantic shaking of her head.

Sitting down beside the wary girl he starts, “Please allow to apologize for my behavior. I’ve had it pointed out to me that I was just making you uncomfortable. So I’m sorry for that.”

With a suspicious look Jaz asks, “What do you want target?”

Wincing slightly he gives her a pleading look, “Please don’t have Alex use me as target practice. I’m can’t quite stomach blood as well as my brother can.”

“Now I see why that look works so well. All right already enough, I won’t tell Alex to use ya as a target,” she gives in.

He grins widely,” Great! Now I hope I can get you to agree to my next request with using that ‘look’.” As her eyes narrow he yelps and tries to reassure her. “Nothing bad. I just would like to be friends?”

“Friends?” comes the cautious reply.

“Yep. I can’t think of many things right now, but one thing we can do is I can show you the shortcuts around the castle you haven’t found yet,” Matt coaxes her.

“Um… Okay! As long as ya lay off the gooey eyes and wanting to make kissy face, I’ll be your friend. It’s kinda lonely, Alex’s busy, Nate’s wanting to make kissy face with Alex, there is Jo… Jos… Knowledge but she more inta books than should be healthy,” Jaz starts to chatter on.

Smiling he gladly listens as she goes on and on, and he willingly answers questions, and adds his own two sense in.

The next morning in the bedroom wing

*SPLASH*

“Jazmine!” comes a female shreak.

“Matthew!” sounds a male yell at the same time.

“I didn’t do it! Sam did!” yells back two voices.

“Who in hell is Sam?!” Nate questions.

“For the last time Sam does not exist!” Alex argues.

“He does now,” replies a smug Jaz.

The two older children are standing soaked outside of their respective rooms an empty bucket next to each of them. Jaz sticks her head out around the corner, as Alex spots her.

A questioning look enters the older thief’s eyes, “What do you mean he exists now?” Watching the younger girl become even smugger realization hits her, “You did not! You did! You corrupted a prince!” After a moment of silence she says, “I am proud of you Jazmine. Now I would run before we catch you both.”

Seeing the evil look enter the other girl’s eyes Jaz grabs Matt by the hand and bolts down the hall, the youngest Prince’s laughter trailing behind them.

Nate looks down the hall at the equally soaked Alex, managing to keep his eyes on her face he asks again, “Who is Sam?”

Gesturing for the heir to follow her, Alex heads back into her room. Grabbing two towels she throws one at Nathaniel and heads behind a changing screen. As she starts to undress she explains. “Sam is Jaz’s imaginary friend. She blames him when she pulls a prank on me or anyone for that matter. Now it seems that Matthew has decided to become her ‘Sam’. So it is most likely your brother set the trap on my door while she did yours.” Wet clothes hand on top of the screen, which Nate can’t seem to take his eyes off of. Alex puts her head around the side of the screen, “Grab me something to wear will you?”

Nate quickly comes out of his stupor and nods in acknowledgement. He turns to the chest of drawers and opens a drawer. Blinking he sees what appears to be some skirts and blouses, just as he reaches for them Alex comments.

“If you pick some of the things that your mother snuck in I will stab you,” she threatens.

Snickering he closes that drawer going into another one, “Only stab me? So you wouldn’t kill me?”

There’s silence for a moment, “Yes stab, you are becoming interesting so I will not kill you… yet.”

The resulting grin would have had the thief glaring at Nate. Reaching into the drawer he pulls out a shirt and some pants and puts them into the waiting hand.

There’s silence once again, when she sees what she’s been handed, she then sighs and starts to dress. “Really Nathaniel?”

“What? I think you’ll look good in that,” he responds.

With a disbelieving snort she comes out from behind the changing screen drying her hair. She wears a green peasant’s blouse with new black riding pants. Tossing the towel on a chair she sits on her bed and puts on her boots. Still not hearing anything from the Prince she looks up into admiring eyes. “What?”

“Did you know that your eyes look really green right now?” at her ‘think about what you just said’ look he gives a short laugh. “Yean I guess you wouldn’t seeing as you haven’t looked in the mirror yet. Um… You look good.”

With an unreadable look in her eyes she responds, “Gratias ago tibi…” at an exasperated look from him she rolls her eyes and repeats, “Thank you Nathaniel.” She then raises an eyebrow as if to say ‘Better?’.

“You’re welcome Alex. Now I need to get dry; and what are we going to do about this prank?” he says joyfully.

An evil smirk appears on her face, “I think I might have an idea.”