Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


The next day

“Get back into bed this instant!” Orders an annoyed Nadie as she spots Alex walking around.

Alex yelps as a result of her jumping in surprise at the healer’s yell. “Deum (God) Nan! Will you calm yourself. I am merely walking around the bed, surely that is safe enough? I have been in the bed the past couple days! As I can finally see straight I thought I could stretch my legs a little.”

“You’ve stretched them. No into bed, and I noticed you didn’t mention the headache being gone. Take some of this and nap like you should be doing,” the older woman retrieves a small bottle of something and hands it to Alex.

Making a face as she gets into bed, she then proceeds to stick her tongue out after swallowing what was in the bottle. “I still do not want to know what you put in these ‘cures’ of yours. If you really want me to stay in bed find me something to do will you? Damnare vos (Damn you) that had… a sedative… in… it…” Alex drifts of as the sedative works.

“Just a couple more days of rest and you can start to wonder, my child,” Nadie says as she covers the now sleeping girl. Giving her a kiss to the forehead the healer walks back to check her stock of ‘cures’.

Another day later

Groaning Alex once again wakes to the morning light coming into the infirmary. “I ejus interficiam (I will kill her).” As she peers around the room she sees a music box and some tools on a table next to her.

In front of the box is a note. It reads ‘Jazmine told me you like to fix things. Perhaps you can fix this for me? My thanks.’ As she turns the note over she observes that there is no signature.

Putting the note back down Alex picks up the music box and examines it. The dark mahogany wood shines in the light, a floral motive adorns the top in a lighter wood. When she opens it, it reveals a still and silent cylinder with pins. Looking at the cylinder it appears to be in good shape, the same can be said for the comb the music is made by. With a small smile Alex picks up one of the tools and gets to work disassembling the music box.

A few hours later

A knock sounds on the doors of the infirmary. A muffled voice announces, “I’ve come to visit a patent. May I enter?”

Nadie looks at the door and shakes her head, “Come in Nathaniel.” After the boy enters she continues, “You do know you don’t have to ask every time to come in.”

“I know, but better safe than to be chased out by an enraged healer,” Nate smirks.

Sending a small glare at the boy Nadie turns back to what she was doing. “You know where she is. Just don’t wake her if she’s asleep.”

Giving a small bow to the healer Nate continues to the bed holding the recovering girl. “Are you awake?” he asks softly.

“Yes,” Alex opens her eyes and looks at the Prince. “What do you want?”

Looking around Nathaniel frowns a little when he sees the taken apart music box. “I see you’ve been busy.”

“Yes, someone left that on the table last night with a note asking me to fix it,” she shifts till she’s almost sitting up.

“Ah. It was probably my brother,” Nathaniel guesses. “My mother gave me it when I was a child. Then when Matt was five he broke it in a temper tantrum. He doesn’t know I know that though. I should probably tell him but he always changes the subject when it’s brought up.”

As Alex listens to the story she makes her mind up on what she’s going to do. “That would explain the note,” she agrees. I do not suppose that you have seen Jaz?”

“Last I saw she was running messages for Father,” he answers. “She sure can run fast can’t she?”

Giving a little snort of amusement, before acting as if she hadn’t, Alex responds, “You should see her on sugar.”

Nathaniel blinks in surprise before shuddering in horror at the mental image he gets from that statement. “Note to self, do NOT feed her sugar.”

“I’m not that bad,” whines Jaz, who had just entered the infirmary. “I mean sure I talk, and walk, and well do everything a bit faster on it but that doesn’t mean ya shouldn’t give me any. I mean Alex let’s me have sugared nut, right Alex? And I’ve had other things as well, I mean today this nice lady gave me some um… honey drops? I think they were called and I’m just fine right now, yeah?”

Alex’s eyes grow a little wider as she sees slight tremors running through Jaz’s body. Seeing the younger girl shifting foot to foot, Alex groans softly and asks, “Just how many honey drops did you have Jazmine?”

Shuffling her feet a little she answers, “Um... well… just a handful or two. Not that much I mean I feel fine!”

"Deum (God) Jazmine! What have I told you about sweets?!” Alex sighs before getting an idea. “Can I have some parchment and something to write with?”

Nodding Nathaniel carefully edges around the hyper child and gets the requested items from Nadie. Returning with them he hands them to Alex.

Alex starts to draw some pictures on the parchment, confusing Nate. After she finishes Alex orders, “Jaz, I want you to get one of the guards to take you to our old place. When you are there I want you to find these items, understand? Most of all be careful.”

“Okay! I can do that! Yep I sure can. Okay I think I’m gonna get Grumpy to take me, I saw him around here somewhere,” comes the enthusiastic reply before the girl runs out of the infirmary.

Letting lose a small laugh Alex states, “I am not sure if I should feel sorry for Meat Head or not.” At a questioning glance she explains, “Meat Head is the Captain of the Guards.”

“Oh, Duncan. I think I’m going to feel sorry for him myself,” response Nate.

Outside the abandoned Blacksmith’s shop

“This is your home?” asks Duncan to the child beside him.

“Yep this is it Grumpy! Home sweet home,” Jaz announces as she skips into the building. “Now I just have to find this stuff. Hm… I’ve seen all of these things but not in the same place. Oh boy! This is gonna be fun! I’ll start there.” She heads to the pile that she pointed at after spinning in a circle.

Four candle marks later Duncan is looking around at various items, not touching them though since when he tried Jaz threw something at him. He spins around in surprise when Jaz lets out an excited yelp.

“Got it!” the young girl then does a small dance in victory. “Now… Hey, mister Grumpy? Can I bring some things back for me and Alex? Like special things? Cause the Palace is nice and all but I’d like some things from home there too and…”

Putting his hand back down from where he held it up to stop the chatter. “I’ll carry a bag, one bag of stuff, back to the Palace. Just don’t call me Grumpy.”

“Yes sir! Mister Captain Sir! Thank you soooooo much!” Jumping on him to give him a hug Jaz then runs around the building going, “This, no this, nope definitely this, yep. Okay next this…” for the next candle mark.

Grabbing one last thing Jaz says, “Okay ready!” Then she walks towards the palace, Duncan lugging a somewhat heavy bag over his shoulder.

In the infirmary

Entering the infirmary is a slightly less active than normal Jaz. Following her is an exhausted Duncan carrying a bag. The younger girl walks fast over to Alex who has a slight smirk on her face.

“Here ya go Alex. All the stuff you wanted,” Jaz hands over a pouch filled with said items. “Oh! I also brought some stuff from home *yawn* Wanna see?”

“How about this, you give me the bag of stuff and then go sit in that chair and count to ten with your eyes closed, alright?” asks an amused Alex.

Looking at the older girl oddly Jaz agrees, “One, four, six, eight, seven, thre…” A quiet snore comes from the now sleeping girl.

As Nadie, Nathaniel, and Duncan look at her with a question in their eyes Alex only says, “Sugar crash.” She then opens the bag and goes through it. First thing she pulls out is a glass jar with a worm in it. “I was wondering when she was going to get Glowy.” At an amused laugh she defends herself by saying, “Jaz named it.”

Putting the jar on a clear table she continues going through the bag. The next item to come out was a set of daggers, all secured in a leather bundle. “Good. I did not want anyone taking these.” After running a hand over the daggers she rolls the bundle up and stashes it under the pillow on her bed.

“Hm. The only other things in here are some scrolls, and some of Jaz’s toys,” she states looking through the rest of the bag but not taking anything else out. Setting the bag on the floor next to the bed she looks up to see everyone still there. “Do you mind? I would like to work some more on this without distractions.”

Saying farewells the two males leave the infirmary. Nadie gives Alex a knowing look before announcing that she has some patents to attend to in the kingdom.

After everyone leaves Alex gives a tender look over at the sleeping girl, before shaking her head and starting to fix the music box.
Chapter End Notes:
I almost titled this chapter 'They gave her WHAT?' Oh and Jaz's counting will be explained in a later chapter.