Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Author's Chapter Notes:
*headdesk* I forgot to post this when I wrote it, oops?

A few days later

Alex walks along the halls of the Palace looking at everything. In her hands she carries a wrapped bundle.

“Hello there Alex,” greets Matt as he exits a room.

Giving a slight nod she says, “Matthew. Would you happen to know where your brother is?”

“Sure. He’s right in here,” he says with a nod at the room he just exited from.

“Thank you,” the thief says before peering into the room. Spotting the older Prince she asks, “May I enter?”

Looking up from a book Nate answers, “Of course.” He then closes the book and gestures to an empty chair. “Have a seat.”

“No thank you, I’m just here to give you this.” Alex then holds out the wrapped bundle. “It has served its purpose for me so I thought I would return it.” With a small shrug she leaves the room.

After watching the girl go with a frown on his face, the Prince opens the bundle. Eyes widening, he slowly opens to box reveled and gives an amazed laugh when music starts to play. Humming along with the tune he spies a note inside the lid. ‘Gratias ago tibi (Thank you) for letting me fix this. It helped with the boredom. Alex.’ With a smile Nathaniel puts the note back into the lid before shutting the music box and placing it carefully onto a nightstand.

Outside the Palace Library

“And the Library is behind the double doors with the scroll work carved on it,” looking at the doors before her Alex nods and then pushes them open. As she entered a mousey older man glares at her telling her to ‘shut those doors right now sir!’

Returning the glare and pointedly placing her hand on her dagger Alex raises an eyebrow as if to say ‘Who do you think you are talking to?’

“Ah I mean, Josette! Blast it girl where are you when I need you! I’ll get those doors good sir, welcome to the Royal Library,” the man says scurrying to the doors to close them. “If you want I can have someone find the book you are looking for…”

Alex puts up a hand stopping the man’s toadying, “No. I will find it myself.” She then wonders off into the isles. Finding a reading area the thief sits in a chair and sighs. “Well there goes that idea.”

“I heard you met Raymond,” says a girl peeking out from behind a stack of books. At Alex’s curious look she expands, “Raymond is the one technically in charge of the Library. I end up doing most of the work though along with the servants.”

With a small smirk the thief responds, “Yes. I met the brownnoser.”

“I’m just wondering why he kept saying sir. I mean it’s pretty obvious that you’re a girl. Well to me at least,” the other girl says brushing a wisp of hair behind her ear. “Oh, my name is Josette.”

Studying Josette, the other girl finally replies, “I have made it a habit to be mistaken for a boy, even though I was not trying to be this time.”

With that the two sat for a while, Josette reading, while Alex thought.

“Josette?” Alex tries to get the other girl’s attention.

“Huh? Oh yes?” the girl blinks her mind coming away from the book in front of her.

“What do you know?” At the questioning look she expands on that. “Reading, Writing, Math?”

“Yes I know how to do all of that, Why?” asks Josette.

Sighing the thief thinks deeply on something. “I know how to do all that as well. My p… companion does not. I have no patience most of the time with people. I…” taking a deep breath she starts over. “I am looking for someone to teach Jazmine all of that. Perhaps if you have time you can?”

“Something tells me you don’t really talk to people much, and that you ask for thing even less,” states Josette. “I’ll have to meet her first, see if we can work together, but I’m willing to in my free time. What can you tell me about her?”

Leaning back into the chair the girl starts, “She is energetic, very energetic. Bright though, she knows the numbers one through ten but still cannot get the order correctly. She thinks everyone is nice until they show her differently, does not trust guards though. You either love her or hate her.”

“Sounds like I’m going to have my hands full,” states Josette. “Bring her here tomorrow and we’ll see how we get along. Oh and Alex?” at a surprised and suspicious look she continues, “Yes I know your name, how do I? It’s called gossip. Anyway the King should be in his study, it’s down by the royal family’s bedrooms and should have guards outside the door.”

Nodding Alex says, “Gratias ago tibi (Thank you),” she then blinks in surprise when Josette responds with a ‘You’re welcome’.

Outside the King’s Study

A battle of wills is going on outside the doors to the King’s study. Dirt brown eyes meet green black eyes. It is finally broken by the voice of the owner of the brown eyes. “Leave thief.”

“No. Let me into the condemno (damn) room. I need to speak to the King,” returns Alex taking an aggressive step forward.

Moving his hand to his sword the guard growls, “The King has no time for the likes of you.”

“Let her in,” rings out a voice from inside the room. At a muttered ‘she?’ it continues, “Yes she. And Richard we will be having a talk about who decides who I have time to talk to.”

“Yes Sire,” agrees the guard reluctantly allowing Alex to enter.

“Deus meus (My God) you need better guards… your majesty,” she says as a greeting. She then adds, “Good evening.”

Smiling the King gestures to a seat before his desk, “Good evening young one. What is it you wish to speak to me about?”

“I know Jaz is your messenger, but remember she is still mine. With that in mind I have arranged to have someone teach her the basics and perhaps further,” Alex aggressively starts. At a frown from the King she changes her tactic. “Paenitet (sorry), I am not used to asking for things or talking to someone that is… above me in authority. I talked to Josette in the Library and she has agreed to meet with Jaz and see if they can work together. What I am trying to ask is that you devise a way to make it so Jaz can meet with her and learn while still doing her job.”

His frown fading a little Marcus says, “I understand this is difficult for you Alex. You’ve been on your own and have basically been your own boss. I’ve even heard you referred to as a Master thief. I only ask that you treat me with respect, and I know I will have to earn that from you. Just treat me politely until I’ve had a chance to earn it please.

“As to Jazmine, I think that having her taught is a wonderful idea. I had thought of Raymond but,” he pauses as Alex makes a slight face. “As I see you believe that would not work, I agree Josette is a capable alternative. May I ask why you wish Jazmine to continue work, while we would get messages slower without her wouldn’t she benefit from just studying and not having a distraction?”

Shaking her head the thief tells him, “No. Jaz is not a scholar. She thrives on having fun, and this job is fun to her. It also makes her feel as though she is earning her keep. With me she had rules to follow, chores, and occasionally I would give her a job to do. Here she just has rules, and the job. She needs the responsibility that the job brings her.”

‘You know her best. If there comes a time that she cannot handle both the learning and the job, I personally would prefer for her to keep learning and continue the job after that is finished,” informs the King.

Nodding Alex agrees. Getting up she hesitates for a second before giving a quick bow and walking out of the room.

Walking down the hall she arrives at what is now her room. Entering she sits heavily on the bed only to groan as the move jostles her ribs. “Quod oblitus. Stupidus. (Forgotten that. Idiot.)” Gently she lays down on the bed absently kicking her boots off before falling asleep on top of the covers.

Once again outside of the Library

“Jazmine if you do not calm down I will throw you out a window and not one of the ones over the pond,” threatens the old girl as Jaz starts asking questions and spinning in a circle at the same time.

Pouting she says, “You’re no fun right now.”

After looking at the younger girl Alex enters the library and with a glare at Raymond she leads Jaz to the reading area in the back.

Jaz looks at the girl sitting at one of the desks. She looks a little shorter than Alex but the thing she notices the most is her hair. “Hey why do ya have white in your hair? Ya don’t look old. Are ya the one that’s gonna be teaching me? I don’t think I need it I haven’t so far but Alex says so, so I guess I have to unless I want to be used as ingredients in one of Nana’s cures. Hey why haven’t ya answered any of my questions…” Whatever else the girl was about to say is muffled by Alex’s hand over her mouth, once again.

“I would tell you that she is not always like this but I would be lying,” The older girl greets Josette. “Though she is not usually dense enough to not know why you are not answering. Jazmine this is Josette, Josette this is Jazmine.”

“Hiya! Call me Jaz, Joset… Joeset…How do you say your name again?” pouts the young girl.

Smiling gently Josette says, “Nice to meet you Jaz. You may call me Knowledge. I know my name can be a bit hard to pronounce. Now why don’t you come here and tell me what you already know.”

Hours pass as the two girls talk. Alex sits a ways away reading a book on the history of the kingdom. Looking up at various shouts of ‘cool’ and ‘neat’ she also glares at Raymond when he comes back glowering only to run back from her look. Giving a soft laugh she stands and, with her ribs in mind, gently stretches. Walking over to the two girls she interrupts them, “I have not finished exploring the Palace yet. Why do I not leave you two to finish talking and do that instead of just sitting the rest of the time?”

Both agree to that. Josette speaks up, “Alex? I’ll gladly teach her.”
Chapter End Notes:
I'm only saying Josette is hard to pronounce because I have no idea how to *sheepish shrug*