Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup
[Reviews - 9]
Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +



Aiden Burns, mouthy, big lipped CSI from New York, with a bad case of burnout, looked at her options. Mac had recommended her for this one detective's job. He said it was hard, but it was good and not too many horrible cases like had caused her burnout. Not too many rapes. A lot of homicides but it was said to be gang related mostly. The other was going to work in a very small town as their only CSI and she knew she'd be at a disadvantage there. She wouldn't have any way of dealing with the detectives who would decide she wasn't one of them even though she was. It was also in good ol' boy country and she was still female and therefore at a disadvantage. Not that she wouldn't normally go there and kick ass to prove them wrong, but she was tired. She didn't want to deal with rape cases, intermixed families that spread throughout the county, or anything like that. A nice, simple job was what she was looking for. So it looked like gang violence it was. She sent her acceptance letter to them before she could change her mind. The other she wrote out and sent the next morning. It was a nice offer but she needed peace and quiet. A small town in California, called idyllic and peaceful, sounded like the rest she needed. And who knows, maybe luck would come her way and she'd find a decent man to date out there. California was supposed to be full of pretty guys. Now all she had to do was pack and move everything she owned across the country. Which was giving her a headache so she'd take her buddies out for a drink to celebrate the new job.

***

Aiden walked in her first day, looking around the small, quaint squad room. "Wow, typewriters?" One of the guys gave her an odd look. "Hi, Detective Burns."

"Oh, the new one. Sure. The empty desk in the corner is yours. We're waiting on Pasley's family to come get his things from his or you could sit closer to the middle of the room. Chief will be back in a few. He's getting a coffee." He got back to work, watching her. She didn't seem shaken up. He wasn't going to get his hopes up though. They had lost six detectives in the last year.

She checked the desk for forms and things, finding where everything was. She sat down and unpacked her bag, putting a picture and a few other little things in one corner of the desk. Her cellphone and charging cord went beside them. Being next to the wall meant she had a plug. Even if she did have a typewriter. She stood up when and older man walked in. "Sir."

"Detective Burns. Into my office." He walked her that way, sipping his coffee slowly. "Sorry, morning go juice."

"We all have that one," she assured him. She even smiled a bit. "So, you have four detectives?"

"The state wants us to lower our extremely high death rate statistics." He stared at her. "We'll lead you around later to show you the bad spots in town and why they're bad. For now, get settled in and find where everything is."

"Typewriters, sir?"

"I know, a bit antiquated. You'll find you won't be using them much anyway. Half of our cases require notes, not paperwork or arrest forms." She gave him a look. "It's the town we're in, Detective Burns." He found a file and handed it over. "Here, the new person paperwork for you to fill out. Did you bring pens today? If not I can dig one out for you."

"Nah, I've got some," she promised. "Blue or black preferred?"

"I don't care." She nodded and went to do that. He sipped his coffee, watching her go. She was a pretty woman. He'd hate to see her fall, but who knew what this town would bring.

***

Aiden looked across the park at the group of people gathered. "They're high school kids."

"They're dangerous. The mayor's been watching them." He looked at her. "We can't prove that they're doing anything wrong but we know that they're the ones that're causing the really high death rate."

She pointed at the group sneaking up on them. "And them?"

"Them? The mayor likes them." They watched the second group attack the first and the first take them out. "See, dangerous."

She looked at him. "Chief, all due respect and all, but the second group attacked. The first was talking until they were attacked. And then the second group turned into dust. Wanna level with me here? Not like New York didn't have strange shit." She saw someone walking up behind them and moved him, pulling her gun. "Don't even."

"Won't work," a small blonde girl said, coming over to stake him. She smiled. "Hi. Sorry about that. Hey, Chief."

"Buffy." He stared at her. "Shouldn't you be inside doing homework or something, young lady?"

"Shouldn't you be getting your head out of your ass?" the boy with the group of girls asked dryly. "We'd all like that. You and social services and all of them."

"You were born bad, Harris."

"You know, I wasn't. I was born to bad parents. They're going to make me bad if they can. Fortunately they can't." He stared him down. "Now, you wanna back your drunken ass off before I call your wife and tell her about your fourteen-year-old girlfriend?" He backed up and into another vampire that was attacking. "What is this? Draw an idiot night?"

"Is that why you're out here?" the redheaded girl quipped.

He stared at her. "No, is it why you're out here when you're having your period?" he countered. She blushed and floated something, staking the vampire. He grinned at the new woman. "Hi. Want walked home?"

"I want answers." They all groaned. "Real answers, kids. I'm a New Yorker, we have our own areas like this. I can handle the truth and I've known about it for a while. So give."

"Not here," the blonde girl said. "It's too open. There'll be another attack if we're not inside." She looked at her. "You're the new detective."

"Yup, sure am. Aiden Burns, formerly CSI out of NYC." She shook her hand. "And you are?"

"Buffy Summers. This is Xander Harris and our buddy Willow. The mean looking one is Cordelia."

Aiden nodded at them. "Nice to meet you. Come on, if you want to get inside, let's go." They nodded, walking her back to the school. She stared at it. "Isn't this supposed to be closed up? Gates and things?"

"No," Buffy said. "Not really." They walked in the back way to the library, coming down the stairs beside the stacks. "Giles, new person in town who has a clue."

"Why?" he asked patiently.

"Because I'm a CSI outta New York," Aiden said dryly, giving him a look. "Seen stranger than this on Penguin street. You are?"

"Rupert Giles, the school's librarian."

She smirked. "So you're like Tony Morantis?" He blanched. "I worked his homicide, Mr. Giles. I do have a clue. Now, what the hell is going on and why did the boss just tell me that the mayor considers you guys more dangerous than the vampires in town?"

"The mayor's a demon," Willow said. "Real or not we're not sure but he's a demon of some sort. Him and the principal." She sat down. "You might as well sit, Detective. It's a long story."

"Call me Aiden, Willow." She sat down and looked at the boy. He was moving off. "You don't get to tell part of it?"

"I'm going to for a soda. The girls are cranky and supposedly I have a curfew tonight. Giles?"

"Go," he said, getting a nod. He came over to look at her. "How much do you know?"

"That they exist. That there's people in the shadows who deal with it so normal people don't. That there's a whole street in New York where it happens and no one wants to give a damn or look."

"Sunnydale is like that street," Buffy told her. "We're presently sitting on top of a big puddle of negative energy on top of a portal that can go to multiple hell dimensions. Did I get that right, Giles?" He nodded, looking fondly tolerant. She beamed. "First time I got to give the whole speech. His lasts longer."

"Okay. And you are what to the fight?"

"I'm the slayer. I'm born and bred to deal with the things others don't want to. Willow and Xander jumped in to help me."

"Good! That's a good thing. Doing it alone means you die faster. More forces means an easier fight usually." She looked at Giles. "Are you like him?" He nodded once. "Okay. How can I help since I'm the newest detective in town and my boss just went for a run?"

"You're going to be doing a lot of missing persons and homicides," Willow told her. "The mayor's been chewed on by the governor because our death statistics are so high. They want it to go down. They gave us a special grant to hire a new detective to hopefully find some causes."

"Uh-huh," Aiden said, nodding a bit. "What is it usually put down to?"

"Gangs of kids on PCP, wild animals," Buffy said, shrugging a bit. "They're not very imaginative."

Aiden snorted. "Yeah, that would not work in my former department. My boss would've killed us." She stood up. "Fine, you guys have issues with the cops, you come see me. I'm in the Heights of Sunset apartments." They all nodded they knew. "Only new person in town this week?" Everyone nodded and grinned again. "That's something we don't worry about in New York. Guess I'll go check on my boss. Call me if you need help, guys. I'm more than a pretty face and nice lips." She strolled out thinking.

"Well, she seems nice," Buffy told the others once she was gone. "She has a clue."

"Let's hope we don't lose her and get another one like the last one who kissed ass," Xander said dryly. Willow nodded at that. "Okay, are we going back on patrol, ladies? If not I should probably attempt some homework so I at least appear like I'm trying." The girls shook their heads so he stood up. "Then I'm off to my version of hell and nastiness. Laters all." He headed home, watching carefully around him. He did not want to be eaten tonight. Then again the new detective was making him think. She was very nice and she didn't seem to put up with the Sunnydale cloud cover that seemed to float over all the sins in the city. Except for the one guy that was sleeping with his sister's pet goat, they had arrested him quickly enough when she had found him doing it. He walked into the house and up to his room, finding the house empty. "Must've went out to drink tonight," he said, locking his door. Just in case his drunken parents came home and started to fight. It was the bad part of the month, when the checks ran out and the booze was running thin. He'd have to put up with it for a few more years but then he'd be free and maybe even of Sunnydale too. He still had to decide that. He settled in to try to read the English assignment. It was boring but he had to try to appear to keep his grades up so his parents didn't get bright ideas about him dropping out and getting kicked out.

***

Aiden walked into her boss's office the next morning, looking at him. "You still good?" He glared at her. She smirked. "We've got our own version of them at home, Sir. That don't freak me out near as much as tweakers tinkering with bombs do."

"Whatever as the kids say," he muttered.

She moved closer, tipping his head off to the side. "Been a long night for you?" He growled. She glared back. "Don't even. New Yorkers are just built tougher." He lunged and she staked him. "Pity." She walked out. "Hey, guys, we had a small issue last night. The boss took me around after dark." They all gave her horrified looks so she dusted off her shirt, giving a calm look back. She got a few smirks. "Now, I need ta know stuff about who we ran into last night. Can we talk?" They nodded, pulling the chairs together to talk and fill her in on what was going on around there. It was not a pretty tale. The Mayor was sounding more and more like a problem to her. Or one behind a lot of the problems.

She asked about the teenagers and a few said, cautiously, that they didn't think they were the problem. So someone agreed with her. She got filled in on what her job was supposed to be and how they were doing things. She asked about specific events, citing her CSI heritage. They all gave her sad looks when she suggested investigating some things. Like child abuse because she knew at least one of those kids were being abused. Well, looked like she had a second job and a third one. They finished around noon and went to get coffee while Aiden looked over the forms and what she'd be doing. Her first four missing person cases from last night. She coded them that way and they got returned by the detective in charge, who reminded her they needed to make Sunnydale look *less* dangerous, so find a reason they had run off. She changed it to runaway, listed as missing, which was better and got a nod. There was no way she was going to outright lie about this stuff.

***

Aiden watched the kids for the first few weeks. She mostly stayed out of things. Though she did help Buffy break into a house to save that little goofball Xander from the substitute teacher. Which creeped her out. She spent the next six hours showering off the creepy feeling she had after seeing what was going on. She had given Xander a hug because he was creeped out but he had given her this wary look that proved she was right about his family. That had made her think and switch the focus of her watching onto him. Which was how she missed Buffy trying out for a cheerleading spot and then the whole witch thing. Which again, creepy and odd. She was not liking this continuing creepy and odd thing Sunnydale had going. It was going to give her a very high water bill. The last straw, as far as her creepy meter blowing itself up, was when Buffy decided to try dating. She had to do a lot of covering when the new boyfriend had followed her and then had pouted about being dumped because he was an adrenaline junkie. She knew why the girl had done it. He wasn't being that smart.

Then the worst thing happened and she couldn't help at all. She had noticed something was wrong with Xander. She had noticed Buffy almost noticing something. Then again, Buffy tried to get Giles to do something and he wasn't catching a clue. So when the other members of the pack tried to go after a girl she had to step in. Which, of course, made the Vice Principal give her wary looks. She glared at him and he backed off. Little toad. He was *no* match for Messer on a queen fit day or even Mac when he was being a princess. Well, she could deal with it. She and Giles had a talk about the kids' behavior and Buffy pointed out yet again that Xander was also acting strange. Aiden went to find him while Giles researched and Buffy watched the other pack members. She found Xander sniffing around someone and stepped into sight. "Xander."

He looked at her, eyes narrowing. He sniffed a few times as he carefully moved closer. "Girl smell good."

"I'm old enough to be your mother, Xander," she said, staring him in the eyes. She waved the girl to go, watching as she ran. Xander turned to follow but she caught his arm. He pulled away, growling at her. She smacked him on the cheek, gently, but he backed up farther. So the wrong thing to do. "Xander, come on. Talk to me? Please?" He backed further away. "Don't make me cuff you."

Xander sniffed in her direction again. "Girl bad." He let out a cackle and turned to move away. She pounced and knocked him down, cuffing him. "Mine!" he growled, struggling.

"Don't make me knock you out," she said in his ear, holding him down. "Please, Xander, don't make me knock you out. You won't like it later." He listened to her, at least he quit struggling. She got him up and looked at him. "Xander, do you know me?"

"Girl. Predator." He inhaled her scent from her neck. "Pack." He looked at her. "My pack."

"I'm of your pack but you're doing things that aren't good for the pack or you, baby." She stepped closer. "C'mon. We'll go talk." She led him off, taking off one of the cuffs since he had calmed down. She kept hold of the other side. He growled at the restriction and she glared back. He whimpered and she stroked over his hair. "Good boy." He tipped his head, giving her an odd look. She smiled. "Good boy. You're a good boy. A good pack leader." She led him back to the library, finding Giles had found something. She settled at the research table. The other pack members were in the book cage. Xander growled and went to rattle the door. "Xander!" she snapped. "Quit or join them." She stared him down. He growled and stalked back. She stood up and he growled deeper. "Don't make this an alpha fight, Xander."

"Hyenas are led by the female members," Giles said quietly, watching what was going on. Xander pounced and she got him back down and recuffed. He struggled but she sat down again and went back to petting his hair, trying to get him calmed down. "I have some tranquilizer darts, Aiden."

"No, it's not necessary." She kept petting the poor guy until he finally fell asleep against her leg. "Now what?"

"Now? Now we need to get them back to the zoo tonight and unpossess them." She nodded at that. "I'm all for taking them back there under cover of dark and sedated."

"Might be a good idea, yeah," she agreed. She shifted and Xander snapped awake, sniffing. "My good pack leader," she said gently, petting him again. He gave her wary looks. "Good boy, Xander."

"He doesn't hear that very often," Willow told her. "It can only help." Xander sniffed her then growled. She got out of the way. "Xander, I'm Willow, you know me."

He sniffed Aiden's leg then at Willow, then put his head back down on Aiden's thigh. "Sure, I'll pet you some more, Xander," she agreed gently, stroking her nails through his hair. She looked at Willow, smiling a bit. "He knows another alpha bitch when he sees one." She sighed but went to find the tranquilizers for Giles. They got them to the zoo in the two cars, Xander riding with her after checking his pack members. He was very careful how he checked and sniffed them, checking her to make sure she wasn't going to do anything odd. She smiled and let him do it. She got him into the cars last and drove off after Giles' old clunky car. The reversal was done quickly enough and the zookeeper came out to protest. Xander got between her and him. Buffy cut him down verbally and they walked off. She heard him chanting and then a scream. Xander hear her sigh and gave her a worried look. "I think he tried it himself, kiddo." She patted his hair again, making him groan and tip his head. "Wanna talk?" He shook his head. "I think we should," she said quietly. "Something's going on at home, Xander. You know I can help."

He stared at her, then shook his head. "The Mayor won't let social workers work in the city."

"Fuck the mayor, kiddo. I don't get paid by him and I'm more than a match for his little minions." Xander swallowed but shook his head. "Okay. If you need me, you come to me. Got it?" He nodded quickly and walked off. "C'mon, I'll drive."

"You sure?"

"Yup, not an issue, kiddo." She got him into the car, taking him home. It told her where he lived. She watched him get out. "You know where I am, Xander. Even if all you need is a couch for some reason. Just show up." He nodded, heading inside. She heard the yelling start then stop suddenly. She sighed, considering her options. The mayor was getting on her nerves and she'd only been in town for a few weeks. She headed home, going to think about the situation. Giles hadn't told the boy anything about the possession sticking but she was sure something had. That whole head tipping while she petted thing was just too similar. She heard someone knock and got up to get the door, looking at the minion there. "What? It's late."

"The mayor walked to talk to his newest detective," he said smugly.

"Then the mayor can show up at the precinct tomorrow. Like I said, it's late." She slammed the door and went back to fixing herself some tea so she could calm down. She was not liking this town in the least. It was not going to make her happy. She wrote a few letters back home and then went to bed.

***

Aiden looked at the man at her desk the next morning. "You're up early," she said dryly. "Get out of my chair."

"I'm the mayor," he started.

She pulled him up. "And I've seen bigger and badder in New York." She stared him down. "Hell, Mayor, I worked for a Marine with a princess 'tude now and then." She smirked. "I doubt you get much worse than Mac Taylor in a snit."

"I heard why you left New York," he said smoothly.

She shrugged. "I didn't hide the fact I got burnt out on a rape case. Plenty of us get burn out by giving a damn."

"That's a dangerous thing, isn't it?" he asked.

"Not really. Depends on who you care about." She smirked a bit. "Or what you care about. Me, I care about doing my job correctly and right. No matter who's involved. That's why you hired me after all." He scowled at that. She smirked a bit brighter. "Was there a problem?"

"You listed a few as runaways?"

"Well, they left home. They aren't in town that we know of. We haven't seen bodies. They weren't kidnaped. That makes them runaways."

"What will the state think of that?"

"Probably that there's some funky cult going on around here. Which there probably is, knowing Sunnydale."

"I'd never allow it. They're always so unclean."

She shrugged. "Your thing but there's one in the next town over. I saw one at the grocery store." He growled at that. She sat down and put her feet up. "Anything else?"

"What happened at the zoo last night?" he demanded.

"What? Your minions too busy drinking at the Bronze and hitting on the teenage girls again?" she asked dryly. "By the way, it's pathetic when a sixty-year-old guy hits on a fifteen-year-old girl and against the law in this state. I'd stop him."

"I'll make sure his tastes are in line with the law, Detective."

"Thanks, that'd help a lot." She stared at him. "Anything else you wanna talk about? After all, your guy was rude to come try to bring me down here for this talk at eleven at night."

"I heard you had a talk with the Harris boy."

She nodded. "I did. A few of them. I also drove him home last night. He's a good kid with a good heart. Too bad his parents suck and somehow social workers don't work here in town." She stared at him, quirking an eyebrow up a bit. "Isn't it?"

"Indeed," he said grimly. "Though it does make him tougher."

"To kill," she agreed.

He shuddered. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Really? Then we should probably talk about the guy on the edge of the cemetery by the college who was burying skeletons in his backyard."

"That would be your job," he reminded her.

"I know that, but I seem to have this problem with people who get nosy when I bust the assholes around here." She stood up. "I do my job. That's all *anyone* needs to know. I don't play politics. Never have. Never will. It's discouraged in the labs." He shivered and backed up. "We clear?" He nodded. "Good. Then no more muscling in. With your leave, I've got to get a warrant to arrest that guy. Any other issues you wanted to bring to my attention, Mr. Mayor?"

"No, I think you're doing a better job than our last one. Also, you're getting a new boss. I'm going to promote Cedric."

"Kinda hard to do. Cedric disappeared yesterday." He grimaced and huffed off. "You have a good day," she called brightly after him, waving a bit. "Butt fucker." She sat down to work on the warrant, looking at the guys who were giving her uneasy looks. "I don't play politics, I don't care who the problem is. Never have, never will. I don't care if you're rich, poor, or the mayor. You give me shit, I arrest you." That got a some nods and a few smiles. "Any information that could help with that guy by the college, I'll gladly include it in the warrant."

"We can't prove anything," one of the guys complained.

"I saw him burying a skeleton."

"That may go," one decided.

She smirked. "Judges are usually reasonable when you know them."

"The judge is his cousin."

She laughed. "Sunnydale has *three* judges, guys." She got up and went to the night court judge instead. He gave her a glare when he opened the door, staying out of the sunlight. "Got a conflict of interest with the daytime guy, Your Honor. All I need is a warrant."

"For?"

"The guy by the college who I saw burying a skeleton last night." She handed over the forms, staying outside. "I heard the day guy is his cousin."

He looked it over, then at her. "It will cause problems."

"I don't play politics. You see what you get with me, Your Honor." She gave him a look. "I'm a former CSI. I can tell a skeleton, how old it is, all that on my own. All I'm asking for is a search warrant for the new grave."

He considered it. "The Mayor might not like it."

"He got the same talk earlier," she assured him. "Though he said he didn't care about him."

"Interesting." He walked off and came back with the warrant and the folder. "Here. Let me know tonight what you find."

"Of course." She walked off, going to get a few of the guys and go search the grounds. She found the new grave. She found lots and lots of graves. The other guys gave the perp disgusted looks but they drug him off. She got down to look at the first skeleton. "This one's a few weeks old," she said the one who had stayed with her while they waited on the morgue's people. She pointed at something. "That's morgue staples."

"So it was already dead?" he asked.

She looked up and nodded. "Yeah. Apparently he had a thing for dead bodies." The guy shuddered. "Some people are like that. The stories I could tell." The morgue's assistant coroner came walking through the back gate. "You're gonna hate me."

"Only if there's not a body." He looked where she pointed and groaned. "Damn it."

"Oh, stranger even still. Morgue staples with this one." He came to look and whimpered. "I don't know why the bones are that clean. I don't wanna know. We'll search his freezer in a bit."

"Okay, I might hate you for this one," he admitted, looking around. "Let me get the boss." She nodded at that. He looked at her. "We heard you're a former CSI?"

She smirked. "Out of the Manhattan Felony lab under Taylor."

"You have balls," he said dryly.

"So did he but he turned into a princess now and then." The coroner laughed at that. "He did!" She grinned at the mayor when he showed up. "Morgue staples. He was into the already dead."

He looked at one, grimacing some. "How old is this one?"

"Few weeks. Probably about sixteen days by the decomp. Unless he had them in a freezer and we can test the marrow to see if there's evidence of freezing," Aiden told him. He gaped. She shrugged. "I've worked on less to get an ID and I do face mapping very well. I'm not even gonna think about why they're so clean." She waved a hand around. "Lots and lots of clean skeletons."

He shuddered. "This'll tank our stats."

"Actually, it'll be solved cases with no new fresh bodies," she pointed out. He perked up at that. "Since he was robbing graves or something they can't count is as more than a sick bastard who was a serial guy."

"Good," he said more happily. "Very good." He looked around, doing a quick estimate of how many graves. Then he looked at her. "Have fun with this."

"Yay me," she said dryly, making him walk off. She flipped him off and looked at the assistant coroner. "For future reference since I've had to say this a few times, I don't play politics. I never have. I never will."

"Fine with us. We're pretty well left alone in the morgue. He hates germs."

"Interesting." The head coroner came in and she smiled, waving a bit. She liked the old guy. "Hey."

"Tell me it's not someone eating dead flesh?"

"Either he's eating it or he's screwing them and then stripping the bodies down," she said. "Your choice."

He shuddered. "Both are vile propositions." He looked around. "All right, let's dig and bag."

"Want us to dig?" the detective asked.

Aiden smiled at him. "There's a CSI secret for these incidences. It's call rookie cadets." The coroners both laughed. She smirked at them. "Isn't it?"

"It is," the head coroner agreed, moving to make the call. "You'll help us tag, Detectives?"

"Sure, not an issue." She got the tag for that one, getting a nod from the assistant for her guess at gender. "Seen plenty."

"Good job," the coroner agreed. Within the hour he'd have a lot of skeletons in his office.

***

Aiden looked up as Willow sat across from her where she was getting a burger. "Hey. On break from the paperwork."

"I heard. Carrion eater."

Aiden held up a hand. "Not while I'm eating. Give me thirty to digest." She got a grin and a nod. "So, how was school?"

"Not bad. Same old same old really. History was boring. Xander fell asleep."

"Hmm. That boring?"

"No, I think his parents had fights most of last night again. He had that 'slept outside' look."

Aiden looked at her. "Excuse me?"

She nodded. "He has to now and then."

"Okay, to put this bluntly, I have a couch. I have a recliner, a couch, and a rollaway bed. He, you, Buffy, all of you are more than welcome to come borrow them. No strings attached. I told him that."

Willow sighed, leaning on her elbows on the table. "He's not going to listen for a very long time, Aiden. You're still a stranger."

She nodded. "We'll talk to him later." She finished up and threw out her trash. "C'mon." She walked off, taking the girl back to the library. She walked in and pulled Xander up, looking at him. "I meant it." He blushed. "I don't care. I have a rollaway, I have a recliner, and a I have a couch. You *ever* do something that stupid again without checking to see if they're full and I'm gonna spank. You got me here?"

"But..."

"Not like I like kids your age. There's no one in this town I'm gonna go near. Even you. Now, do we need ta have this talk again?" He shook his head, looking embarrassed. "Good." She gave him a hug, making him stiffen. She pulled back. "Real people can hug, Xander. It shows affection and friendship." He opened his mouth. "Don't make me go yell at them unless you want me to."

He shook his head. "It'll get worse."

"Okay. Now, what're you gonna do next time?"

"Can I bum your recliner?"

"Sure. You wanna head now? I've got ta stop and pick up some forms ta finish tonight on the kitchen table." He nodded and she walked out with him. "You wanna talk?"

"Not really. Won't do any good."

"Xander, there's things that can happen to them. Even without social workers I can still arrest them," she said once they were in the car. "Really."

He shook his head. "They'll never keep them."

She smiled. "Then let's think like Messer and be a bit devious. We can scare the crap outta 'em. I'm good at that."

He looked at her. "They'd have to be sober. That only happens for a few hours on Sunday when the liquor store's not open yet."

She sighed. "You need me you're gonna call or come by, right?" He nodded. "Good." She kissed him on the head and backed out, taking him to the station to grab those files then home so she could feed him. He gave the kitchen odd looks. "What? You don't eat pasta?"

"I haven't eaten at home in a while."

"Hell, baby, I cook most nights." She gave him a look. "Come get leftovers when you need 'em." He nodded, sitting down to help her with the forms. It was the least he could do. "I got 'em."

"I can probably identify half of them by age," he reminded her. "At least within the last few months." She smiled and went back to cooking for them. A few minutes later he had a large plate of pasta and she had a smaller one. "Ate already?" he joked.

"Nah, turned my stomach with this case," she lied, eating a bite. He nodded and dug in. He was clearly starving. They went over them, matching up possible bodies by height and age they had died. He was a big help.

***

Xander looked at the girls coming up to him the next morning. "What?" he asked, already tired of this.

"We saw you with the new hotty detective," Cordelia Chase sneered. "What? She like kids?"

"No, she let me have the couch since my parents were having a bad night last night." She sneered more coldly. He shrugged. "She's nice."

"She kissed you."

"On the head. She gave me a hug too because I needed one the other night." Cordelia blanched at the reminder of the pack incident. "She's trying to find a way to arrest my parents if you must know, Cordy. She offered me her couch or recliner. She's not into young guys. She has a standard and it's set on New Yorker. She's in the wrong state to date anyone."

"Pity. You could use a girlfriend. Even a sick one."

He glared, his hands balling up. "Wanna repeat that?"

She backed up. "You'd never hit me."

"Bet me." She huffed off with her Cordettes. He waved. "Have a better day with your fantasies. It's clear they need inspiration if that's what it came up with. But good to know you think about me like that," he called after her, earning a huff and a few dirty looks. He headed inside and into the trap the new principal had laid. "Yes?" he asked.

"That new detective...." he started, moving closer.

"Offered me her couch, Principal Snyder. She didn't want to make me go home when my parents were fighting for the last two days. She's not going to date anyone who's not going to live up to New York standards. We all know I'm not going to."

"It's good you know what a loser you are," he sneered.

Xander snapped. "You know, Cordy does that so much better than you." He walked around him. "Best get to class. Don't want to be tardy."

"I'll see you in detention, Harris."

"Not the first time or probably the last," he called, waving back at him. He ran into Willow. "Did you know Cordelia was fantasizing about me and Aiden?"

"Eww."

"Basically. Snyder too." He got into his locker and got what he needed, letting her walk him to class. A few of the kids gave him appraising looks. "She's like an aunt, guys. Eww!"

Buffy snickered. "She is nice and aunt like. She tried to yell at me about my skirt being too short the other day." The guys all sighed since their mental porn and hopes were dashed. "Who got you?"

"Cordy was apparently fantasizing about me and Aiden. Stopped me to see if I had good gossip for once." He sat down with a grin for her. "Then the Principal."

"Eww," Buffy repeated.

"Yeah, tell me about it. Totally stomach curdling and she made me breakfast."

"She can cook?" Buffy asked. Xander nodded. "That means you won't be living on Hostess products, right?"

He looked at her. "Heresy."

"Sorry. Forgot it was you, Xander." She looked at the teacher when she came back to give Xander the detention slip. She looked. "Ooh, you nearly hit him?"

"Wanted to. Didn't. Pity." He put it into his book and shrugged it off. Oh well, not the first time or the last.

***

Aiden looked up at the church in front of her. It had been a long time since she'd been in one. The last time had been for a case. This time, she couldn't quit seeing that damn nightmare sequence over and over. That poor boy had wrenched her soul. The ones Xander had told her about was worse. Then her own on top of it. She needed to talk to someone and not like anyone not in the group would understand. She couldn't lay it on their shoulders. She walked inside, smiling at the warm room. Someone had left something apple scented on the altar to scent the room. She sat down in a pew, looking up behind the altar. She didn't really believe. She wasn't really religious, but there had to be a higher power if there was a lower one, right? She leaned forward, closing her eyes briefly but the nightmare images came back. Her personal ones were worse than any kid's, though Xander fighting his clown phobia had cheered her up a lot. She looked up again and said a silent prayer for a bit of guidance, anything that could help her deal with this.

She knew if she left, there wouldn't be any help for any of those kids. Especially Xander. Something bad and nasty would happen to him and it'd be her fault. She said one for the kid's safety and settled in to think and relax. It was safe in here. No demons in a church. She looked up. "Yo, I could use a bit of help," she whispered. "Just a tiny bit? A clue how to help him maybe? I know I can't help them all but just the boy? Please? He does deserve it with what he does, especially since he's not trained." She closed her eyes when she didn't get any answer, sending a prayer for the boy's continued health and safety. From what she'd seen he needed it more than most. She felt something, frowning at the increase of pressure going on around her. She stood up, looking around. Then outside. No demons anywhere near this church. She came back inside and looked up at the figure on the cross. "Is this a sign?" she asked him. "If so, can I maybe get a clue what the pressure means?" She took another look around when the pressure grew heavier. It was almost like it was slowing everything around her down. The candles weren't flickering at the same speed they had been. It was like time was slowing down, or maybe holding its breath. The pressure continued to build until it was almost painful and she couldn't breathe. She felt herself starting to wobble as dizziness came. Then time seemed to exhale and the pressure snapped. She wobbled, sitting down in the front pew, suddenly tired.

"You know, for some reason I'm not amused at the moment," a male voice said from behind her.

She got up and turned around, gaping at the figure standing in the doorway. She knew him. She knew him! She blinked and moved. Finally she hugged him. He was real! "How?"

"Do I have a clue?" He pulled back to look at her. "Umm....."

"Aiden, from Mac's lab," she said quietly, staring at him. "Tim Speedle, right?"

"Yeah. Why am I here and in the ugly, itchy suit?" He looked down at himself. "It looks like something you'd bury...." He screamed and grabbed his head, letting her help him sit down in a pew. "Oh, damn. Not good." He blinked through the tears at her. "You rang?"

She laughed, hugging him again. "I prayed for help."

"I can see that. Or I did see that. Something like that." He swallowed, standing up, leaning on her. "I think we should leave here. Something's going on."

"Speed, this is Sunnydale, something's always going on here."

He looked at her. "Can I at least change?"

"Gladly. I have nothing you can put on though. You're a bit bigger than I am. Whoa, hold on, I know who would. C'mon." She walked him out to her car, taking him to Giles' house. She pounded on the door until he answered, then went to get Tim and bring him inside. "Hey. I prayed for some help."

"I see." Giles looked at the new man. "I've seen your picture somewhere."

"He was a CSI down in Miami but he got killed almost a year ago," Aiden told him.

Giles blinked. "My. Well, that's impressive."

"I think she was hoping I could bum some sweats," Speed told him.

"Of course." He went to do that, letting the poor man shower and change, then grab some of the tea he was making. He looked at Aiden. "You prayed to who?"

"God. I was in the church on Eighth, the little red one." She shrugged. "I needed help dealing with the nightmares from earlier."

"That's most reasonable, Aiden. We all needed something. Speaking of, I believe Xander's at your place?"

"He'd better be. I left him asleep on the couch." She took the tea to sip and calm down, looking over at Speed. "So. Anyone got any ideas?"

Speed looked over and nodded. "Yeah, just a few." He looked at Giles. "The Powers said hi."

Giles smiled. "That's actually a very good thing to know. They sent you to help Buffy?"

"No, they sent me to help Aiden."

"That's fine then. I'm sure they have their reasons." He relaxed. That meant he was on the side of good. Their side. "Now what?"

"I'm considering what I'm doing," he admitted grimly. "I can't call Miami. I also know I can't leave town for some reason." She gave his wrist a squeeze. He looked at her. "I'm not mad at you. I'm having a prosaic moment."

"Better than a prozac moment," she offered with a grin.

"Maybe. Maybe not though." He finished his tea and relaxed. "All right. The Powers sent me with three messages. Aiden, yes, the boy needs help. He doesn't have a destiny but there's people who'll need him to be there. Things will be worse without him and you're right, they're going to be worse for him if someone doesn't step in." She nodded at that. He looked at Rupert. "The prophecies suck but sometimes they're not fully written down, Rupert. Things can change during them. Especially when the seer doesn't believe in the interference of outside forces." He stood up. "Also I'm here to stay for a while so I might as well get over it now." He looked at Aiden. "We'll figure out the rest soon."

"Sure," she agreed, smiling at him.

"Actually, I could probably get you papers so you could work," Giles said quietly.

The other man looked at him then grinned. "That might help, yeah. Good papers?"

"Excellent ones. I had to get some when my visa expired."

"Even better. Any idea about jobs around here?"

"We're short two detectives now," Aiden offered. "My main job is to cover up the homicide rate."

"Interesting. H would be *so* pissed at this town."

"Mac would throw one of his princess fits and end up shooting someone," Aiden offered with a grin. She wasn't alone! She was doing a mental happy dance as Xander said. Then she shook her head at that thought. "Sorry, a very Xander thought," she said at the odd looks.

Tim smirked. "I think we should talk to the kids tomorrow. Let them know they have more than two adults behind them." He looked at Giles. "The redhead needs help. That was the third message. She's taking the path that even someone named Ethan wouldn't walk down willingly. You might wanna watch her and the magic stuff."

"Willow?" he asked, looking confused. Tim nodded. "She hasn't shown an interest."

Tim looked at him. "Hey, I got it from on high. Argue with them. They said so."

"Fine, I can do that," he said, smiling some. "Let me get you a few more things."

"Nah, we'll shop tomorrow," Aiden promised with a smile. She stood up and hugged him then Speed. "Come on, Speed."

"Can we.... Um, creepy thoughts, Aiden."

"Sure. Tim good? Timmy?"

"I'm not on South Park."

She grinned. "Aww, but you'd make a cute kid." She pinched his cheek, making him yelp and rub the sore butt cheek. He gave her a dirty look. She smirked back. "C'mon. I've still got a recliner free."

"Sure." He nodded at Giles. "We'll be back soon."

"That's fine. I'll get those papers for you."

"Thanks." He shook his hand and walked out with her. "To call or not to call."

"If you call they'll try to make you leave. If you can't leave we'll get all of the lab down there here. That would *really* cause problems."

"Yeah, just a bit," he said dryly. "I can't see Eric dealing with vampires. Or the blond, yappy thing I saw."

She giggled. "She's not that bad."

Speed looked at her. "Remember, I worked with Calleigh." He got into the passenger's seat, looking around. "Isn't that the boy?"

She got out and leaned on the hood. "Xander, get your ass in the car!" she snapped. He gave her a scared look. "Now! Right now! Or no breakfast!" He trudged over and got into the back, giving the other guy an odd look. She got in and shut the door, looking at him. "This is Timmy Speedle. I made a prayer and the Powers sent him."

"Buffy needs more help?" he asked, looking miserable.

"No, the rest of you guys need help, especially Aiden," Tim said calmly. Xander gave him a confused look. "It'll be okay, kid. We're both here to help the group." He reached back but the kid ducked away. "I did the same job Aiden did before I got shot, Xander."

"You ... never mind, she called my name."

He smirked a bit. "I got a full primer on the whole group when the Powers sent me."

"Shot, like dead?" Tim nodded. Xander checked his pulse. "Wow. They can do that?"

"The Powers? Yeah. They're a bit cranky today about the nightmare thing. Gave them a headache. By the way, good job." Xander blinked. "It's a hard thing to fight your fears, kid. Even I had trouble with that."

"Are you a former watcher?"

"Nope, former CSI out of Miami." He turned back around. "Let's head, Aiden." She nodded, driving them back to her place. They got inside and he shut the door, locking it. "Okay. It's late. We're getting near the ass-crack of dawn stage. I know Aiden has to go to work tomorrow and you have school."

"For all the good it does me," Xander said dryly.

Tim looked at him and smiled. "You'd be surprised what you can learn in classes."

"Not really. They're kinda boring and stupid around here." He sat down. "Um, are you sure, Aiden?"

"Xander, shut up." She patted him on the head. "You're staying if you need or want to stay. Don't argue with me. Next time I'll pray for a kiddie leash set." He grinned at that, shaking his head. "Now, you two can argue over the couch and recliner. We'll see about other stuff." He nodded at that, giving the kid a pat on the head. "Xander, he can cook even better than I can."

Xander looked at him. "I'm poisonous."

"I saw that," Tim assured him, earning a laugh. "Even they don't know how you're so poisonous in the kitchen, Xander." He sat down in the recliner, putting the footrest up. "Okay, I'm comfy. Turn out the lights, Aiden. He's got to get to school tomorrow."

"Yup." She did that and went back to bed. Xander was shifting around some but he settled in pretty quickly. Tim was asleep within minutes too. She had been answered. Things would be better and easier soon.

***

Xander walked into the library, looking at Giles. "Did you tell them?"

"Not yet."

Xander looked at the girls. "Aiden prayed." They all shrugged at that. "She got answered by someone who the Powers sent." Buffy sat up at that, staring at him. "His name's Tim. He's a nice guy. He made breakfast and he does cook as good, if not better than, Aiden does." He sat down. "He said he gets visions now and then. He's a former CSI out of Miami."

"Wow," Willow said. "So he's smart too?" Xander nodded. "Did you spend the night on her couch?"

"Yup. He got the recliner."

The door opened and Tim walked in, giving them a look. "It's comfy enough." He patted the kid on the back. "Thanks for the intro."

"Are you telepathic?" he asked. "Because you don't look like a bald guy in a wheelchair."

Tim laughed. "Nope. I knew that you'd tell them. Giles is still thinking." He gave him another pat. "Ladies, my name is Tim Speedle." They both nodded and waved. "I'm here to help. The same as Aiden is. I can't answer girl questions but I can do an okay job helping with science and other classes as well as giving out good advice and helping research."

"Wow. So to be a CSI you have to be really smart?" Willow asked.

Tim nodded. "I graduated Columbia. I had a masters in chemistry before I joined the lab."

She beamed at that. "Then you can help me tutor these two. They're not very good in school."

"I have other things to worry about," Buffy complained. "World endage stuff, Willow. Pick on Xander for his lack of smarts."

Xander looked at her. "School's boring, Buffy. This isn't what I'd be learning if I could pick my own education. When is diagraming sentences going to come in handy?"

Tim looked at him. "It's a hoop to prove you can play nicely within the system, Xander. Though, you should've gotten that a long time ago."

"I know, but it's about all I remember from the last three years of English," he admitted. He shrugged. "Books aren't my thing."

"That's fine. Hands-on learners get the same things, only they do it differently. We can help with that," Tim promised. The boy beamed at him. "Now, Giles, what can I do to help tonight? Aiden has to go over that multiple skeleton case tonight with the county prosecutor."

"We don't have too terribly much to do tonight so you could help them with their homework if you wanted." Tim nodded, pulling out a chair and sitting down while Willow got her schoolbooks and assignment sheet. He looked at Xander. "Perhaps he can make some of it make more sense."

"Maybe. Math still sucks." He looked at the worksheet. "Didn't we do this last night?"

"You're behind," Willow reminded him. "You told the teacher you forgot it at home, Xander." He sighed and got to it. Tim took the pencil and did the first one to show him. Xander nodded slowly, working on the next one. Tim handed him a calculator, getting a smile. Together they did the whole sheet and that night's homework. He might pass algebra if it kept going this way.

***

Tim settled into the apartment across the hall from Aiden, looking around the empty place. "Why couldn't they give me furniture *and* a new life?" he complained.

Xander looked over from lugging one last box of stuff from Giles' storage area. "Because they thought the rebuilding would do you good?" he guessed. "They seem big on the rehab circuit with all the people who find God or them when they've done wrong."

"Possibly," Tim admitted, grinning at him. "Good point." He patted him on the back, watching him hiss and wince. "Sore muscles?" Xander shook his head, putting the box into the bedroom. Tim stopped him on his way out the door, pushing him against a wall to look at his back. "Hell, kid. Who did that?"

Xander looked back at him. "This would be bad groping?"

"No, this would be me taking care of the cut on your back. Someone has to, it's infected."

"Willow did."

"I doubt it. It's infected." He walked him into the bathroom and the new first aid kit, pulling out a tube of anti-bacterial cream. "Sit. Let me gel it. It'll help some." Xander huffed but did that. He smoothed the gel over the cut. "So, slaying or home?"

Xander looked back at him. "Pushy isn't helping."

Tim looked at him, making the boy turn around. He could see the small scars on his body then looked in his eyes. "Before I died, I was a cop, you know that." The boy nodded slowly. "My boss had the softest touch with victims of horrible crimes. I'm more blunt. I can be soft if you need me to. I can be even more blunt than I am now if you need me to be."

"I don't need...."

"Don't make me yell," Tim said calmly and quietly. "Was it slaying or home related, Xander?" He stared into his eyes, seeing the resignation there. "If it was the parental units of booze, then maybe we can do something."

"They'll never arrest them. They didn't when they tried to se... um, give me away."

Tim stared at him. "I saw." Xander flinched. "I only saw a few seconds worth about you." He pulled the kid out to the old sofa he had found, sitting him down and sitting next to him. "Listen, I'm here to help you too, Xander. I know it sucks."

"Your parents were bad?"

"My parents were social hogs. They didn't do a lot of caring unless it gave them something to brag about. They were a different sort of pains in the ass. Then again, I've seen and dealt with parents who have done everything from kill their kids to pimp them out to starve them to death and other nasty things." Xander shuddered. "And I still got a few random scenes from your life. I'm not going to let them hurt you if I can help it. Aiden either."

Xander stood up. "You're still missing the point, Tim. There's nothing you can do in this town. There's no social workers. There's no law but the mayor's."

"Like Aiden, I don't play politics. I can convince someone it's in their best interest to have them put away. After all, adversity makes for stronger fighters and those same people who aren't doing a whole lot to stop your parents are the bad guys."

Xander looked down then at him. "If it gets too bad, I'll come running."

"Do that. Me, her, work or here. I don't care if I'm in the middle of banging someone." Xander nodded at that, looking very serious. "Now, wanna talk about the dance stuff?"

"Um, no."

Tim looked at him. "You have the touch to help, Xander. To be there when people need you."

"Even when they don't want me to be there," Xander told him.

Tim sighed, pulling him back down. "If it's that bad, then quit the team."

"And do what? Die?"

"Fall back to support instead of active duty."

Xander shook his head. "I can't. Other people will die."

Tim smoothed a hand over the kid's cheek. "Yup. Which is what makes this a sucky choice for you." Xander nodded, slumping some. He gave him a hug and the boy stiffened. "Not doing anything, Xander. You're like my little brother or something." He pulled back to look at him. "To Aiden too."

"You guys talked about me?"

"Didn't have to. She doesn't make me breakfast whenever I ask." Xander grinned at that. "Want to help me hit the thrift stores for other furniture?"

Xander looked at his watch. "They close at six and it's ten after."

"Then I guess I can deal with only having a couch tonight." He grinned at Xander. "Food?"

"Food's always a positive way to end any day."

"It is," he agreed, finding his new phone and dialing out for takeout. He hung up and sat down again. "I need cable," he decided.

"I know how to fix the box once it's dark," Xander told him.

"I still need a tv too."

"That could help, yeah," Xander agreed. Tim nudged him so he grinned. The borrowed cellphone he had rang. "That's Willow's phone." He answered it. "Willow's phone." He nodded. "I'm still at Tim's. No, helping him unpack and stuff. Why? Sure, I can be there, Willow." He hung up. "Her parents are back and wondering why I have her phone."

"I'll give you a ride over once the food gets here in ten minutes." Xander grinned at that. "We've got to get you into driver's ed."

"I can't take it. Crappy grades."

"That's fine. We'll teach you how to drive."

"Actually, I kinda already know. Not like taxi driver drive but I can kinda drive."

Tim looked at him. "Bar to the house?" Xander nodded. "Then we'll teach you officially how to drive so you can get your license. It can only help you."

"Think it'd make me more cool?"

"Depends on the car you drive but probably not. Too many people here know you're a geek. Though, being a geek isn't the worst thing you can be. I was one and I still got plenty of women in Miami. Aiden got plenty of guys and she had to be a geek in high school to make it into the good program." Xander looked at him. "Really. Even my buddy Eric was a geek in high school and college and he gets so many women it's a running joke that he never dates one for more than three dates before he gets sex and then dumps her."

"He sounds like a jackass who uses women."

"Now and then," Speed admitted. "Mostly he keeps it fun and light. Most of his women would kill anyone who hurt him."

"As opposed to my former substitute teacher?" Xander asked dryly.

"Yeah, as opposed to that stuff." He patted him on the head. Their dinner showed up and he paid for it then he took Xander to Willow's house so she could have her phone back. "Thanks for the lending, Willow."

"Not an issue, Timmy." She gave him a short hug. "Xander, your parents were going out of town?"

"They are?" he asked, looking confused. "Interesting."

"I guess they know that Aiden's couch is good for you," Tim said with a smirk.

"Maybe." He shrugged. Personally he wasn't so sure of that. Bad things happened when his parents went out of town. "Were they going today?" She nodded. "Can we swing by there so I can pick up clothes for school tomorrow, Tim?"

"Sure, we can do that." He nodded at Willow's parents. "Hi, Detective Tim Speedle, just moved into town and I met the kids. Xander's been helping me move today."

"That's fine," her mother agreed happily. "I'm sure you're keeping him out of all sorts of trouble he could be getting into."

"I haven't seen him get into trouble yet," Tim said, staring at her. She gaped. He smirked. "Really. He's a very good kid. Helps out, offers to help when he thinks you need it. He's a good boy." He nodded and Xander followed him off. "Nice to meet you. Willow, that school brownie thing? Are you borrowing my oven too?"

"If I can," she called after him. "Thanks, Timmy." She closed the door with a smile. "He's watching Xander while his parents are out of town too." She went to get dinner then do her homework. Her parents had such blind spots sometimes.

***

Xander stared at his house for a minute. It had been six months since Tim had been reincarnated, four since he moved into his own apartment and got off Aiden's recliner. His parents had been acting strange lately and his good sense was telling him to avoid the house. Then again, he needed to know what was going on. He snuck closer to the back door, listening at the always open kitchen window. It had been stuck open now for nearly ten years after his father had tried to fix it one weekend when it was squeaking.

"How much longer do we have to wait?" his mother asked. "It's nearly dark now and he knows not to be out after dark."

His father grunted. "He'll come bopping in soon expecting us to feed him again. Well, he'll be fed something." He laughed. "Then we'll see him gone again." The sound of a bottle opening. "Oh, yeah, the good stuff," he sighed.

Xander swallowed, looking around the yard. This wasn't the best area to have this breakdown. He snuck off to the alleyway again, heading for downtown. He had to find someone. Anyone! He found Giles but the little voice in his head told him not to go with him, not this time. They'd make Giles give him to his parents. So that left one option. He went running for his life to the one person he knew he could trust, no matter what, no matter what he had done. He ran to Timmy. He found him at his desk and pulled him up to look at him. "They're trying it again," he said, looking panicked. "They were talking about it, about me going."

"Whoa, slow down. Who?" Xander looked around. "Come on." He led him into an interrogation room, closing the door. "What's going on, Xander? Your parents are doing what?"

"They're trying to sell me again," he hissed.

Tim stiffened. "Over my dead body."

"They were saying that they're going to *feed me something* and then I'd be gone. Dad was talking about drinking the good stuff. This happens when they go out of town!"

"Okay, calm down. They're not touching you."

"The voice in my head said that they'd make Giles give me back."

"I don't think so!" He smirked. "Nothing's going to stand in my way. Understood?" Xander nodded, slumping. "C'mere." He gave him a hug while he pulled out his cellphone, calling the first number on the speeddial. "Get your ass back to work, woman. Xander's parents are trying to sell him again." He hung up and cuddled the boy, looking over as his boss came in with one of the mayor's flunkies. "His parents have this habit of selling him to strangers for liquor money?"

"Um...." the mayor's flunkie said.

"Very erudite," Tim said dryly. "Really." He saw Aiden behind him. "I'd move." They got out of the way. "Xander overheard them."

"Good on us. Let's go. Baby, you can have my couch, you know that."

"I've got two bedrooms and you can sleep with my books," Tim reminded him. Xander nodded against his shoulder. "Shh, I have you. Aiden, go for it." She nodded, stomping off.

"Now, see here," the mayor's flunkie said.

Xander looked over and growled. The man backed off. "How dare you try to have them kill me! You fucking monster! I know exactly what you are and how to kill you!" he shouted. The man fled. He glared at the other cop. "You gonna stop them too?"

"No, we hate your parents. They're assholes, Harris. Stay with Tim." He walked out, closing the door behind him. "Guys, Aiden's on a rip," he announced. "Harris's parents struck again." A few went running to watch her in action. Tim came out and Xander followed him. "Where are you going?"

"To get his things and to help her beat the shit out of them," Tim said bluntly. Xander walked out with him. "Want to stay with Willow while we work?"

"No. I'll stay in the car."

"Okay." He drove them over there, wincing at the level of screaming that was going on. He got out and locked the car, turning on the alarm too so he'd hear if someone got near it. Then he went inside. Xander's mother was screaming that Aiden didn't understand. "Oh, we understand perfectly," Speed assured her coldly. "You're a heartless bitch and you're stupid. What else is there to understand?" She lunged at him with a kitchen knife. He punched her. She fell down wailing. Xander's father came out and they both got him. Then Aiden got his mother until she begged. Speed looked at them. "Leave. Tonight. Don't worry about your shit, we can burn it for you. If you *ever* come near Xander again I will personally kill you. Since it was my job to find bodies, I know how to dispose of yours. I'll have fun," he finished coldly, staring at her. She backed away. "Where were you going to hand him over?"

"The park, midnight," the father said, putting his wife behind him. "You can't do that!" Aiden lunged and they ran out the back door. "We'll get him anyway!" he shouted.

"Doubt it!" Tim called after him. He looked at Aiden. "Get what you can." She nodded. He went to pack the kid some things. He came out and found Buffy staring at the boy in the car. "Hey."

"Hey. What'd they do this time?"

"No comment. Tell Willow he's at my place tonight?" He turned off the alarm, making Xander jump. He handed him the bag with a smile. "Not an issue, Xander. Aiden and I had a fit."

Xander looked at his hands. "I can see that. Are you sure?"

"Yup." He closed the door again. "Better yet, tell Giles we're holding a meeting tonight. We have to pick someone up at midnight and it'd be easier if we didn't have to deal with vamps too." She nodded, waving at Xander before walking off. Aiden came out. "Anything good?"

"Oh, yeah. They already accepted payment." She opened the door, squatting down to look at him while he read the hand-written contract she had found. "If they come back, they're so far beyond toast even the fire department won't be able to put them out," she said gently. Xander sniffled but nodded. She stroked his head. "It'll be all right, Xanny. You have us. We're excellent at the parenting gig for never having done it before." She smiled a bit. "Okay?" He nodded, giving her a hug then Tim. "Good boy. Now, let's get you settled in Timmy's spare room. That way you have a bed and not just a couch." She closed the door and took the keys, walking around to drive. "Stay here in case they sneak back."

"Yeah, I can do that. Meet you at Giles'?" She nodded, heading off. He looked at the house. "Oooh, I want to torch it," he muttered. "I'm not a pyro, fire's a bad thing, but I want to torch this place." Someone coughed so he looked at the Mayor and his flunky. "Yes?"

"The Harris boy?"

"Is staying safe," he said coldly. "Xander's like my son." He turned to look at him. "From the handwritten contract Aiden found, they were going to sell him to someone who was going to kill him. We'll be finding them tonight as well since that's a *federal* violation. I'm sure you don't want Feds here." The mayor shook his head quickly. "Good." He smirked. "Then I'll amend my paperwork so Xander's on mine in the morning. Aiden can do it if she wants. We'll let the new son clean out his parents' place later on."

"What if they come back?" the flunky asked.

Tim looked at him then at his hand, then at him again. "I doubt they want that. I'm not a violent man usually but I sincerely doubt they want to come back for the boy. You?"

"No, I'd hate that," he agreed, nodding quickly. "Unless it's on pay-per-view." His boss shot him a look so he shut up.

"They can't show that sort of blood and guts even on pay-per-view, but I'll suggest it to Aiden," Tim offered, looking at the mayor. "Problems?"

"Not unless they press charges against our fine detectives for beating up on them."

Tim laughed. "They're headed for the border if they're smart. Don't worry, we'll hand them over to the Feds if they come back. They'll enjoy them." That got a nod and the mayor stepped back. "Were there other people that they've sold?"

"No," the flunky said, shaking his head. "Just their boy."

"Yeah, well, it's sickening," Tim told him. "No good person can let that go by."

"No, you're right, no good person can," the mayor agreed. "Let me know if there's further problems." They fled and he called the contact who could get in touch with whoever had bought the boy this time.

"Uh-huh, thought so," Tim said dryly. He looked at the house, seeing some movement. "Oh, I so want H here right now," he muttered. "He does controlled violence so much better than I do." He walked back in there and went back to wailing on Xander's father. Teach him to touch his son again. "You'd better be thankful you're not in Miami. H would look the other way while we beat you. Alexx would gut you and then laugh. Then H would arrest your ass and make sure everyone on the cellblock knew what you had done." He got in one last hit and backed off, staring at him. "I could've sworn I said to leave. Now." The man got up and limped out, holding his side. Speed looked around then searched the house for the money, credit cards, and other valuables, taking them with him to Giles' house. He handed that small box over. "Here, hold this for Xander."

"What happened?" he demanded.

Willow looked over. "They did it again, didn't they?" she asked calmly. Tim nodded. "Xander?"

"My son now."

She nodded. "Good. Is he all right?"

"He heard them plotting and came to find me. Aiden got there first. We both had a good time."

She grinned. "Even better. Need an ice pack?" He nodded so she went to get him one. "What about the guy who bought him?"

"They're supposed to hand him over at midnight in the park. The mayor and his flunkie showed up to try to intervene." He took the ice pack. "Thanks." He sat down, looking at Giles. "That's all the cash in the house. His parents are running for their lives."

"Yeah, Aiden was saying something about cocktail weenies," Buffy said from her seat. "Why?"

Willow looked at her. "Before you showed up, Xander's parents ...sold him a few times to make more money for their vices." Buffy looked disgusted. "Not like pimping him out or anything but physically selling him to someone who would hurt and probably kill him."

Tim nodded. "I got a flash of that when I showed up." Aiden and Xander walked in. He pointed at the box. "The cash from the house, kid." Xander took it, stroking it gently. "C'mere." Xander came over to sit next to him. "The only rule I have is you clean up after yourself. Got it?" Xander looked at him. "I mean it."

"I can stay there."

"I want you safe, Xander. You're staying with one of us. There's not safe and I want you where I can make sure you're eating and all that stuff. Besides we *really* need to burn their stuff so they don't even think about coming back again."

Xander looked at him. "Which one?" he asked quietly.

"Your father. We had another talk," he said, staring at him. Xander nodded slightly, relaxing into his side. "Do you want to go with us tonight when we try for the guy they tried to give you to?"

"No thanks. I think I'm tired."

Tim kissed him on the head. "Then let's get you settled in."

"Already did," Aiden promised happily. "We even talked about painting that room for you and him sorting your books out."

Tim shook his head, giving Xander a look. "Don't sort my books." The boy grinned. "Good boy." He kissed him on the head again. "If you're tired we can head home and I'll head out at midnight with Buffy."

"Oh, I'm gonna be there," Aiden promised. "If that had happened and Danny had seen the person would've been dead long before the others got more than screaming. Flackie and Mac too. They might've even hidden it when Danny killed 'em." She sat down on Xander's other side, grinning at him. "You know, this mom stuff's not so bad since I don't have ta do diapers or burp you. No stretch marks, no hemorrhoids, no morning sickness. No shitty diapers or puked on clothes. No two am feedings unless you need ta talk of course. No walking the floor with colic."

Xander gave her a hug. "Then you must be where I get babbling from."

She laughed, giving him a squeeze. "Probably. Timmy sure don't." She cuddled him, looking at the girls. "That doesn't mean you two can't come to either of us for help. We'll send him out for ice cream if you guys need girl talks." They both nodded. She looked at Tim. "What about the rest of his wardrobe?"

"Ugly," Tim said. "I had a few ugly shirts of my own but they were hideous. We can hit the thrift shop or Wal-mart for more."

"I can use their money for that," Xander said quietly. "They're not that bad."

"Yes they are," Aiden assured him, giving him a gentle squeeze. "We'll all help, Xanny."

"Aiden, eww. No pet names."

"Sorry, baby." She smiled at Buffy. "I'm sure you can help."

"Someone needs to, I doubt he could fit into your favorite jeans," Buffy shot back. "His butt's too flat and his hips are too small and pointy."

Aiden gave her a look. "The great thing is that in the next two years he'll put on muscles and quit being so tiny. Then he'll make you feel tiny next to him." She stood up. "Let me drive you back?" Xander nodded, looking at Tim. Tim handed over his keys. "See you later on." She took Xander back there, ordering dinner since no one really wanted to cook. She went back for the attempted capture in the park but the guy was a no-show. Instead she called LA's Vice people to talk to them about it. Faxing down the letter and the few facts they knew got her that they'd been watching him and they'd see if they could use this to bust him. If they could find the evidence. She wasn't much happier but she and Timmy went home that night to become parents to a teenager who needed a lot of hugs. Plus some new clothes.

***

Cordelia stared at Xander two days later. It was the first day of school after the beating. "What happened?" she said, moving closer. "Big problems?"

Xander looked at her. "Don't start. You don't want me in your face today. I'm not that stable." She gave him a horrified look and backed off. He went back to reading the book Tim had told him to read. It was a pretty good book. Maybe he could even use it for a book report or something. He looked up at her continued staring. "Remember the incident in sixth grade?" She shuddered but nodded. "Aiden found out they were going to try again."

She swallowed. "Are they gone?"

"To Mexico. Permanently. Why?"

"Wow. So you're home alone? Not that you could throw a party and anyone would show up or anything."

"Tim wants me in his spare bedroom for right now," he said dryly, going back to his book. "Just in case that idea came to me."

"Yeah, like we'd all go," one of the jocks said.

Xander looked at him. "Who said I'd invite you?" He shifted so he was more comfortable and went back to reading. The book was snatched and he grabbed the guy, knocking him down into the stone bench to break his nose. "That's a loaned book, thank you." He took it back. "Detective Speedle loaned it to me." He sat down again, looking calm and cool. Cordelia let out a nervous laugh before fleeing. "Have a better day!" he called, waving after her. He looked at the jock. "Anything else you wanted?"

"We'll get you."

Xander got into his face. "I've faced worse at six in the morning than you'll ever be. You and the other jocks are only annoying." He got up and stomped off.

Aiden cleared her throat from behind him. "While true, he might try to get a posse."

"Not hardly. Two of his buddies were eaten recently," he said, giving her a look. "Checking up on me?"

"Cordy called in a report that you assaulted him." She sat down. "You good?"

"He tried to take the book so I tripped him onto the bench. His nose kinda broke. Oops." He shrugged.

She made him look at her. "Violence is for minds that lack creative thoughts, baby. Or as a last resort. Unless it's a heavy bag."

"It was a football player," he offered. "Not much different than a heavy bag."

She smiled at that. "Possibly true but no. No more."

"Yes, Aiden."

"Good boy." She kissed him on the temple. "Go to class." She looked at the book. "Tim's?" He nodded. "Good. Go to class." He got up and wandered inside, still reading. She smiled, finding the principal sneering. "The punching bag did start with my boy," she reminded him. "Shouldn't have." She stood up. "If you have more problems with Xander you let us know." He stomped back inside. She strolled off, going to catch Buffy sneaking off. "Some reason you're dissing your education?"

"Nest," she said grimly. "Then I can go back for lunch."

"You have a test second period because Xander does. You can go at lunch." Buffy sighed but snuck back into the library. She shook her head as she went back to the station. "One of the future organ donors tried Xanny. He tripped him into a bench and accidentally broke his nose when the kid tried to take the book you leant him."

"Pity about that. Which one?"

"Jorps."

"Ah. The heavy bag head." He nodded at that, working on another form. "The other two kids?"

"Buffy's got a test second period and I pointed that out. Reminded the principal to call us if there was a problem with Xanny."

"Even better." He smirked at her. "You're behind."

"Yay me," she said dryly, settling in to do the paperwork to cover up some of the death rate around town.

Tim got up and went to talk to their new boss by leaning into his office. "You might want to tell someone that kids on PCP don't stop at *a* bite. They tend to eat a lot of the body. That only works for the ones that were supposedly mauled by an animal. That's what PCP looks like when they get the zombie nibbles. Neck biting is probably more like bug bites or maybe blunt instrument trauma if you want me to be honest. I can pull up reference pictures if you want so you can make up more creative excuses that won't get the state in here."

"Sure," he said weakly. "You handle that. However. Just don't get the state boys here."

"Sure." He went to do that. Including reference pictures from other people's cases outside Sunnydale so they could show the others what *real* injuries looked like.

"The person who made up one of the excuses was in kindergarten," she said quietly.

"Obviously," he mouthed. She smiled and got back to work. "So.... Blunt force tearing trauma for bite and tear marks?"

"Works for me," she agreed. "Maybe you can use the nails excuse sometimes."

"Could," he agreed. "Especially girl's fake nails."

"Hey! Mine aren't that bad."

"No but we've seen some bad claws from fake nails, Aiden."

"True. Some even had jewelry on them." He nodded, remembering a few of those from Miami too. "You know, I was thinking I should send Mac a card to thank him for helping me come here."

"Sending explosives through the mail is wrong, even letter bombs," Tim said dryly.

She smiled. "I don't know how to do those yet."

"H does and he taught us so we could reconstruct." The detectives nearest them gave him a horrified look. "My former lieutenant was bomb squad, guys. Miami has some terrorists and some drug cartels that use bombs." They whimpered. He rolled over to look at one thing. "That's claw marks. The official designation is sharp force trauma due to extra-long fake nails." He looked then wrote that down. Tim went back to his finding good excuses for the deaths. "Someone may think we have a serial killer if we have too many of those but that's better than the roving zombies with the nibbles who take PCP."

"That works for the Mayor," their boss called.

"Thanks for letting us know," Aiden called back. She looked at Tim. "So, what's coming up at the school?"

"Um.... Hmm. Halloween?"

"Giles said nothing happens."

Tim snickered. "It's Sunnydale, something's always going on."

"Good point. Well, I'm on call that night."

"I'll watch the kids." That got a nod and they got back to work. It wouldn't be *so* bad, right?

***