Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


 

"Daaaaddddddd, How could you do that to me?" Hermione whines when they return home. Her brothers and sisters sent down the street to the playground at a quiet word from their mother.

 

"Easily, you've been acting like a spoiled, selfish little twit today and it's obvious that you're not ready to go away to school." Her mother snorts. "You can't wrap your head around the fact that the 'boy who lived' stories is pure bullshit. Instead of listening to a woman who actually lived through the troubles you couldn't believe that your precious books could possibly be wrong."

 

Hermione ducks her head, remembering how she'd acted.

 

"But Mum, he's Harry Potter. . .the boy who lived."

 

"Not according to Professor McGonagall, he's just Harry Longbottom."

 

A couple of days later Hermione gets on the bus to London, stopping at the library and starting to read the wizarding world papers. What she finds in the papers has her looking up non-magical papers to see how they're reporting the same situation.

 

"Mum and Dad said that books are written by the winner." She says quietly again and again when she finds something that goes against the boy who lived books. Finding history books from that time period she checks them out and starts to read.

 

"But that's not what the papers said."

 

"Not getting to the bottom of the troubles?" Alexander asks from the doorway.

 

"Dad, they're saying ten different things. One says the wizarding world were terrorists that attacked us and that's why the war started, the so-called attack was proved to be a gas explosion. . . Another book agrees with the wizarding world's papers in saying that the non-magicals attacked first. The non-magical world don't talk about the strike squads that attacked families over there, let alone the attack that killed so many people. But they sure talk about the asswhupping we received for attacking them. Nobody agrees on anything, and it should be cut and dried."

 

"I told you honey, history is written by the victors. And sometimes it's just written to make people feel good. I'm sure there are plenty of books written in Japan and Germany after World War II, even after all the atrocities came to life." He comes in and sits down. "The truth of the story is that the non-magical government declared war on the wizarding world because they didn't like the idea of a group of people who didn't bow down and kiss their arses. They attacked the wizarding world, the wizarding world fought back and factions on both sides had other reasons for their actions. There were attack squads on both sides, and don't forget we're the ones who were losing and sent out the suicide squad to take out their government because we couldn't believe we were losing to a bunch of people who were stuck in the middle ages. Our government is the one who was charged with war crimes and atrocities, our government is the one who killed old men, women, and children. The wizarding world lost over a quarter of their population thanks to us."

 

"Yes Dad, that's why the government cleaned house and so many politicians are in prison. On both sides."

 

"That's right. Now wash your face and change your clothes, we're going to a visit to your new school."

 

Hermione looks over the day school, bright cheerful open classrooms. Her parents officially enroll her at the schooland they head back home. Hermione will have to get up an hour early to catch the first bus to school but she can handle that. She settles back down to read the history books.

 

"Why is Hermione so bloody interested in that boy who lived garbage?" Her brother Adam asks their parents.

 

"Because she's a silly girl who imagines him as a knight in shining armor who's going to come in, fall instantly and madly in love with her, sweep her off her feet, and take her away from all this to a fantasy land castle." Her brother Jason snorts. "OI buckteeth, it's your turn to set the table. Put down the books and get your arse in gear. I'm . . . Sorry Mum, Dad." He says quietly at the twin glares turned on him. "Sorry Hermione," he says when she comes into the dining room. "I've been playing outside all day and I'm hungry."

 

"Today's Friday dumbass, it's your turn to set the table not mine. I'm on dishes."

 

"It can't be. You mean I walked the dogs for nothing?" he whines, looking at the chore sheet on the bulletin board.

 

"No, you walked the dogs because they're your pets." His father says firmly. Jason slumps and starts bringing out dishes to set the table.

 

After dinner Hermione starts scraping the dishes, putting them in the dishwasher along with the pots, pans, and serving dishes after the leftovers have been put away.

 

"Dad, will I need a bus pass for school?" She asks after dinner, putting the library books back in her bag to take back the next morning.

 

"Yes, the school's arranging one for you as part of your tuition. You'll get one a couple days before school starts, then a day or so before the new month starts. You'll have to go to the office to pick them up, but since you're taking the school meal program you'll be stopping there every Monday to get your card anyway."