Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


 

"Welcome back Auror Tonks, enjoy your day off?"

 

"Did a little training boss." Tonks says as she follows Amelia Bones into the office. 'And hope to god I never have to use it on you.' There was a reason why Tonks was on the Minister's security detail despite just being out of training. Beyond being able to look like the boss at a moment's notice.

 

Harry smiles as Mr. Weasley and Neville arrive in Eureka by Portkey a couple weeks later.

 

"Welcome back to Eureka." He gets their bags piled in the back of the smart car and they drive off, he pulls over when he sees a girl walking.

 

"Dawn, need a ride?"

 

"Please, Mr. Lupin got called away unexpectedly and told me to head home and read ahead in my books." She gets in the front seat, looking at the pair in the back. She recognizes Neville from his visit last year. And from their trip to Scotland a few weeks ago. The man was there too but she didn't catch his name then.

 

"Arthur Weasley. Ron and the twins father." She smiles.

 

"They're behaving, aren't they?" He sighs. He knows that look, the one his son's friends usually wear after they've been up to no good.

 

"Oh yes, they're helping me with my magic tutoring now that they've finished their university classes for the year and have some more free time after work. They've talked about the shop they want to open with their friends, they came out a couple weeks ago to run workshops for the fliers." Harry smiles, he'd enjoyed himself that day, not only flying with his uncles but seeing his old team-mates again. "Harry and I have been helping them with stock for their business when we have a few extra hours. They always pay us for our time and feed us."

 

"Molly would never have believed it, the twins responsible adults. They were horrible scamps in school. And Ron was . . .Ron was . . ."

 

"Lazy and always put everything off until the last second and had to be constantly reminded of assignments and papers?" Harry says. Arthur sighs and nods. "Ron was basically a good person but he had his faults. Everything that happened over the last couple of years made him grow up and take a good look at himself."

 

At Gringotts the Goblin Elder looks at the three men across from her. "Thank you for agreeing to speak with me Mr. Solo, Mr. Jones, Mr. Murdock."

 

"Nobody has called me by that name in many years." The former Napoleon Solo says, almost in unison with Indiana Jones.

 

"I know gentlemen, it has taken us this long to track the two of you down. Mr. Murdock, thank you for agreeing to come. Would you be shocked to find out that Jack Murdock is not your biological father?"

 

"No, I've known for years. . .since the accident when the blood types didn't match. I never said anything because he was the best father I could have had. Especially after my mother. . .left." He knows where she is, working in Hell's Kitchen as a Nun.

 

The Goblin Elder nods. "Indeed. Your biological father, like Mr. Jones and Mr. Solo, was Albus Dumbledore." Napoleon and Indy start cussing while Matt blinks. "I take it you two are aware of what has been going on?"

 

"Yes, while we don't live primarily in the wizarding world, we keep an eye on everything that's going on."

 

"In case it impacts us." Indy finishes what Napoleon was going to say. The entire story is told for Matt and he shakes his head at the manipulations that had been going on for decades.

 

"And you've still not found all his hiding spaces?"

 

"No, and areas we thought we'd cleared have revealed new secrets. We were unaware of your existence Mr. Murdock until we searched an area of the castle again when Mr. Storm telling the truth about his parentage revealed another section of rooms. During that search we found another room full of scrolls."

 

"What about a family lineage potion?" Napoleon asks.

 

"We created one just after Dumbledore's death, but it is incomplete, with new names emerging when something is triggered. Like Mr. Storm and Mr. Murdock."

 

A few days later is another reunion at Hogwarts, people mingling in various groups. This one is vastly different than the first one, they've been keeping in contact over the last couple of years. The newcomers are welcomed into the 'screwed over by the great Albus Dumbledore' club."

 

"What happened?" Matt can hear the tapping of a cane as Xander's voice comes near and a grunt as he sits down.

 

"Got hit by a drunk driver last October, broke my leg in two places, broke three ribs and cracked five others, and sprained my wrist. Totalled my car, I had to be cut out of it with the jaws of life. I was off work nearly three months, I'm only working part-time now with the physical therapy. The guy who hit me spent the whole court case whining--I couldn't be hurt that bad because he wasn't, my car wasn't that badly damaged, three hundred bucks should cover it. . it's a piece of shit anyway. Oh, it was totalled? Well he can afford a second car while I'm saving money for a down payment, the more money I put away the less I gotta pay out over time even with GD covering the financing and taking the money out of my check weekly. Either way I gotta be working full-time before I can do that. The judge awarded me blue book value for the car, my medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering but I haven't seen any of it yet. He's still facing charges for the accident." Dawn comes over. "Whoa, that was weird." He looks over at her, she had been talking with Spike and Giles. "Floo call from Fargo at GD, it seems the guy that hit you is trying to cut a deal to keep him out of prison and as part of it he just transferred money to the Eureka bank for the judgment against him and he made an arrangement with a car dealer in Portland, he'll pay for a vehicle for you and pay for two years insurance. Fargo sent over copies of the paperwork." Dr. Stark takes it from her hand and starts to read everything over.

 

"He must be looking at serious time then." Tony says as he comes up behind them.

 

"Probably, there's only one reason to do more than you were ordered." Xander snorts. He takes each page after Dr. Stark and Tony have read them.

 

"Everything looks on the up and up." They say. "But one of us is going with you when you go out." Tony says. He then looks at Dawn. "And I want you."

 

Dawn snorts. "I'm not that kind of girl, and aren't you going to be a father in few months?"

 

"I don't mean that way." he rolls his eyes. "I meant as an internship at Stark during a summer after you finish university."

 

"Back off, I saw her first."

 

"She can come back to GD after she's done at Stark. . .if she doesn't decide she wants to live and work in New York." Tony smirks. Dawn giggles as Dr. Stark and Tony bicker as they walk off.

 

"So you're a clone too huh?" A voice asks when a silencing spell goes up around a small area.

 

"Too?" Johnny asks, turning around. Tony blinks. "Jack?"

 

"Yeahsureyoubetcha." The seemingly teenage boy waves a hand. "You got screwed over by the great Albus Dumbledore, I got hit by aliens." The existence of aliens is already known to the group. He smirks at Jacob, who's staring at him. "Loki stole people and replaced them with clones to try to get around the problems the Asgard are having." Tony chokes. "My Asgard, not yours. Mine look like the Roswell greys, they don't breed anymore, they get by on cloning and are having problems since cloning already cloned material. . ."

 

"Causes defects." Reed says. The teenage boy in front of them that Tony had hissed in his ear is actually the middle aged man across the room nods. "The clones weren't supposed to last more than a week but that's only how long Loki would need the original. Everything worked out okay until he nabbed Jack. Thor, a friend of ours, thought that something might happen and put something on Jack's genes to keep him from being cloned. . .I was the result. When I woke up a teenager, we knew something had happened."

 

"Why Jack?"

 

"Thor and the others think that Jack is the future of humanity." Jacob silently swears. "Yeah, it was nearly a week and I started getting sick that the others figured out I wasn't the original Jack, we found him in Loki's ship and Jack called Thor to save me. Only my team, the President, Xander and Clark since Jack called them . . ."

 

"To pick you up and take you to Clark's hospital."

 

"Yeah, Charlie, and now you guys know that I'm still alive."

 

"How long has it been?"

 

"Nearly four years. . .I don't seem to be aging as quickly as I should. . .which since the clones were only supposed to last a week isn't that bad. Once I recovered I enrolled in high school."

 

"Why?"

 

"To eventually go back into the program. I'm still trying to decide what university I want to go to since all this stuff happened while I was out of touch. And I need to catch up on the magic stuff."

 

"Come to Eureka. Come to New York." Tony and Nathan say nearly at the same time. "You can catch up on the magic stuff while you're taking university classes. And I want to talk to you about getting the Avengers on the system GD uses." Tony tells his grandfather. "Steve and Bucky are still getting caught up on everything that happened and I'd like to see everybody get degrees."

 

"Talk to me before we leave. Unless you're coming to Eureka?"

 

"Yes, I want to go with Xander to make sure he gets a decent car. One that won't need tons of work. Because we've all heard to problems the auto industry has."

 

Tony parks at the car dealership a few days after they return to America, Xander getting out of the back seat and walking the vehicles with him. He gets behind the wheel of a few, the owner of the dealership coming out and going on a test drive with them. They go in his office and go over all the paperwork on the car, the information being sent to the insurance company in Eureka before they head off for a nice lunch so they can handle all the details and have the car detailed before they pick it up. Xander signs all the paperwork and nods at the license plate on the carand proof of insurance in the glove compartment before they drive to Eureka.

 

Pepper looks at Tony when he walks into the office a few days later. "I went with Xander to select a car in Portland since the guy that hit him is in more trouble than we thought and is trying to become a saint so he gets a good plea bargain that keeps him out of prison. He has no idea about cars." Pepper nods. "Then I ended up talking to Tesla's students about Stark International and what kind of work we do."

 

Tony finds Steve looking over a gun magazine when he walks into the living room. How things have changed in seventy years.

 

"Get Xander taken care of?"

 

"Yep, he had no idea what to look for in a car."

 

"Two drunk parents I don't imagine he would." Clint says, walking through. "You got a delivery from a university?"

 

"History textbooks and other stuff. I still want you two to go on for higher degrees. And Coulson agrees with me."

 

"Traitor." Clint grumbles but takes one of the school catalogs. "Can we take them online in case of injuries or we gotta leave class to go save the world again?"

 

"Yes, I've got you enrolled in the same system GD uses for continuing education classes. It handles most of the universities in the country and a few elsewhere. They tend to add new schools every few years, they just added a bunch of them this summer.

 

"Is that how he's attending MIT and working?"

 

"Yes, he's finishing his third semester thanks to picking up a couple extra classes last fall and taking classes this summer."

 

"Textbooks and other materials?"

 

"Once you've signed up for a semester's classes they'll be sent to you, or if it's a local school you could go pick them up yourselves. If you finish your classes early like Xander did last fall you can pick up more classes, they have e-books on the system to read. If you do that you'd get the hard copies after the semester ends. Oh good Lewis." he grabs her I-Pod making her yelp and try to grab it as he holds it out of reach. "I have paperwork you need to look over to transfer your credits to a good school."

 

"I can't afford a good school, my student loan is going to be sky-high as it is."

 

"Stark will pay for it, the envelope is on Pepper's desk." He hands her the I-Pod and gives her a shove towards the elevator. "Come back here when you're done."

 

"What's this?" She asks a half-hour later, waving a paper. "Stark garnishing my wages?"

 

"Stark is taking over your student loan payments once you've formally graduated, money will be taken from your check weekly. It's something GD does for their employees, this way instead of twelve payments a year, it's spread out over 52 weeks. You pay less interest that way and pay it off faster. It's similar to what GD does for their employees who have loans. We're also consolidating your loans into one instead of the three you have out."

 

"What pay?"

 

"That's part of the paperwork Jane has, making you her paid assistant instead of an unpaid internship. You've more than completed your hours, you have the paperwork in your packet, you just need to finish it and complete the paper. Though, political science and interning with a scientist?"

 

"Jane's was the only one left." She says absently as she looks over the paperwork. It's completed over the next few days by her, Jane, and the others and sent various places by the house elf that pops into the living room. Matt Murdock shakes his head when he finds boxes of magical books from Scotland and America in his apartment in both braille and regular print he can read with his fingers. He's still not sure about learning magic, but talking to the others who don't use it in their everyday lives either at least made him agree to the books. The healers think that the bindings on his magic broke to save him during the accident and changed his body. Richards however thinks that the radiation might have triggered an otherwise latent mutation.

 

Xander and Dawn are out in the back yard for a cookout over the fourth of July, relaxing and enjoying themselves. Giles and Spike are due out for a visit in a couple of weeks and Xander had just finished a set of covers for the basement windows that can go up when he's staying there and be taken down when he's gone without needing major renovations to the house.

 

Dawn checks the food on the grill and settles down at the picnic table next to Xander. "How are you doing on your classes?"

 

"I'm two out of the four classes I wanted to get in, thankfully a lot of the basic classes can be used for both degrees."

 

"Mommy would be so stoked, you going to MIT."

 

"What about you, are you any closer to deciding on a future profession? And school?"

 

"Yes, I'm majoring in history with a languages minor. I'm still looking over schools." Xander nods in satisfaction. "Giles will be so proud."

 

Horatio pulls up in front of an apartment building in early August, looking over at the two men next to him.

 

"Thank you for bringing us Auror Caine." Roy Hinkley says as he and Jonas Quimby exit the van and look around. They've seen a bit of the small town Gilligan had settled in and can understand why he hadn't sought them out. Horatio checks the names on the mailboxes and leads them up to an apartment, knockingon a door.

 

"Lt. Caine. . . Skipper?" Gilligan squeaks when he opens the door and Lt. Caine steps aside so the Skipper can grab Gilligan in a hug, then swat him with the hat he takes off his head. "Boy, we have been worrying ourselves sick over you since we got the letters."

 

"Letters, I didn't send any letters. Nobody wanted anything to do with me."

 

"We know Gilligan."

 

"Professor?"

 

"Year before last we received letters with the truth about what happened on the island and pictures of you and Auror Caine here in town. It took the Skipper a bit of time to track Lt. Caine down and he said that while he did know you he wasn't sure where you were but if we wrote letters he'd try to pass them along." The Professor looks at Lt. Caine like he would a misbehaving student, Horatio just looks at him over his glasses. "I wasn't sure if Gilligan was in Eureka or still on the island. And you never wrote letters."

 

"We couldn't say what we wanted to in letters. Not even the best author in the world could have wrote down what we were feeling and trying to make it coherent."

 

Gilligan's brain catches up to what his ears had heard. "Auror Caine?"

 

"I'm a squib while the Professor works at a magical school."

 

"I'm lecturing at MIMT now, Massachusetts Institute of Magical Technology. The school I'd taught at before merged with another and I was given a severance package when I returned."

 

"Are you looking for a job Professor Hinkley? Tesla teaches both magical and non-magical classes."

 

"Really? Is housing affordable?"

 

"As a GD employee, you'd be getting your housing for free. Eureka is a company town." The Professor and Skipper look at Horatio as he bring out his phone, dialing a number. Allison Blake arrives about fifteen minutes later.

 

"Mr. Hinkley, we've been wanting you to work here at GD for years now. You have quite a reputation in both the magical and non-magical worlds." She sits down to go over the pay and benefits.

 

"I was expecting Nathan." Horatio says a few minutes later.

 

"We finally located Jarod's parents. I'm sure that will bring a call from the goblins with more rooms opening."

 

"Major Charles, how nice of you to join me." Nathan says, looking at the man in front of him wondering which family line descended from Dumbledore. While Jarod had shown up on Dumbledore's family lineage neither of his parents had.

 

"You called myself and my wife here?" He asks.

 

Nathan puts two pictures down in front of the other man, a picture of a boy, one the same boy age progressed, both from a decades old missing person's report buried in government records, then finally a picture of Jarod. The woman takes the picture and cries.

 

"Jarod. ..Greene for lack of a better name since he doesn't remember his original last name. Escaped from a place called the Centre run by a bunch of industrialists who wanted to use his gifts for their own purposes. The government took them out with extreme prejudice but it took this long to find information on his family. You're a very hard man to track down Major Charles."

 

"With reason, we already lost one child to those bastards. . .we didn't want to lose the others."

 

"Is our son here?" Major Charles and his wife had done their background on GD before they'd agreed to come, driving through the streets and seeing businesses, people walking, children playing and generally enjoying themselves. That had relieved them a little that this wasn't another Blue Cove.

 

"He's in the building right now, working in a lab with another employee." They walk out of the office to the elevator, going to another section. Xander looks over, blinks, then looks at Jarod. "Dr. Stark needs to talk to you a second." Jarod looks over to the door of the lab and stands there stunned. Xander smiles sadly, takes the stuff from his hands including the gloves, and pushes him towards the door. "Go say hello to your parents, it's been a while." He goes back to what they'd been working on, smiling as he sees the group walk away, idly wondering what it would be like to have had parents who gave a damn about him. He shakes his head, all the family had welcomed him and Dawn with open arms and a good chunk of them had come from a shitty family life too.

 

"Did you hear? They found Jarod's family?" Dawn asks that night when he comes back to the house.

 

"Yeah, Dr. Stark brought them to the lab this afternoon. I knew immediately who they were."

 

At Jarod's apartment Jarod and his parents fill dishes with the food that had been on the table courtesy of Vincent. They'd been talking for hours until Dr. Stark and Sheriff Carter took him and his parents home, putting Jarod's car in his usual parking spot, putting the rental car in a guest spot, and telling them Jarod was off for the rest of the week before getting a ride back to GD for their vehicles.

 

"Are you going to be okay at work?"

 

"Yeah, we weren't at a stage that anything needs to be done and Dr. Stark told me to work on classes or projects until he's back."

 

In Baltimore Spencer Reid drops his desk chair at the BAU, turning on his computer and looking through his mail that he'd grabbed this morning to read after being gone for over a week.

 

"Reid?" Aaron asks as he opens cards.

 

"Friends wishing me a happy birthday." He smiles at the cards and puts them in his messenger bag.

 

"I didn't know it was your birthday."

 

"I haven't celebrated it since my mother was institutionalized." He says quietly. "A couple years ago I found I had other family through my mother and we've been in touch since then."

 

Derek catches Penelope's eye and she immediately scurries off.

 

"You won;t find out anything, all my records are triple sealed." He smirks at the others, anybody who knows Jack O'Neill would have been demanding a DNA test.