Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup

Author's Chapter Notes:

AU for the Avengers and White Collar, I've only seen a couple episodes


 

"Yeah, everybody knows your daughter came by it honestly. Soooo, does Arthur know he's not Bill's father either?"

 

"Nope, and he never will. I did a blood adoption on him when the baby was born. . .damn fool didn't even stop to think that a seven month pregnancy and a baby weighing nearly eight pounds might not be normal. Now what was that nice young man Albus introduced me to and had me use the potion on? He had such a funny name. . .In di anna? Yes, that's right Indiana Jones. That poor man. . .he'd just lost his wife and Albus so wanted him to be happy. And making love to me will make any man happy. And Albus took such an interest in me when he found out I was pregnant."

 

The guard contacts the goblins when he finishes his rounds.

 

"Thank you, that information is most interesting." The Goblin elder contacts Minerva a few hours later.

 

"I think I know who Molly is talking about. There was a teacher from a university from the United States that had come to the school for a lecture. He was. . .an arkyologist?"

 

"Archeologist, it's the muggle equivalent of cursebreaking." The Goblin Elder says absently. "If he is the man you are thinking of the visit should be in our records."

 

A few days later the Goblin Elder nods as she reads the records one of the minor clerks had brought her then looks at the copy of the family lineage tapestry. Henry Jones jr., the son of Albus Dumbledore and adopted by the girl's older brother and his wife. Whereabouts currently unknown. . .the rumors running around the other branches saying something about himself and his adoptive father drinking from the Grail. If he is Bill Weasley's father, there is no way to prove it thanks to the magical adoption and there is no reason to destroy any of them by trying to seek the truth. Bill grew up with a loving father and Jones had a strained relationship with his father and son.

 

She makes a mental note to try to locate him again. . .he has a Gringott's account through a muggle bank and money is routinely deposited and withdrawn. Her eyes turn to another son of Albus Dumbledore they have been trying to locate. . .one Napoleon Solo. He seems to have dropped out of sight in the early seventies.

 

At Hogwarts Minerva is looking at the other teachers who are shaking their heads as she tells them about what she had seen while visiting with Lord Starkweather and what classes she has seen Mr. Potter and the other students taking.

 

"Does he still plan on taking the American and European OWLS this summer?"

 

"He does, Lord Starkweather and Auror Carter plan on bringing him out so he can take them at the ministry."

 

"Does he plan on going on and taking dual NEWTS?"

 

"He would have no reason to take the OWLS if he did not plan on taking his NEWTS."

 

"Muggle schools give famous people 'honorary' degrees, could we do the same for him? Perhaps allowing him to graduate with his fellow students?"

 

"He would not have taken his NEWTS yet."

 

"Would he need them for an honorary degree?"

 

"Speaking of NEWTS, how are his former yearmates doing?"

 

"As can be expected. All that his mother and sister did forced Mr. Weasley to grow up. He stopped waiting until the last second to work on his assignments and can be found in the libraries studying most evenings. He's even stopped talking so much about the Chudley Cannons."

 

"Thank you god for small favors." Somebody says in the room. "What are his plans now?"

 

"Working for the goblins along with his brother Bill. He really enjoyed his work in the digs and plans on taking the Egyptian OWLS this summer when he's working in the digs again."

 

"I never would have thought that he would ever grow up." Severus Snape shakes his head.

 

"How are your Slytherin students?"

 

"Very, very quiet. Especially after hearing what had happened to Miss Parkinson and her parents after they tried to kill Mr. Malfoy's parents since Narcissa is pregnant. If they had a second child they wouldn't be able to steal the Malfoy fortune."

 

"I saw he was upset that they considered him not a threat to their plans."

 

Severus snickers despite himself. "Indeed, that was a blow to his ego. How the mighty Slytherin prince has fallen. He knows he needs to walk softly, if this is another boy he's out as the Malfoy heir. He's cracking down on his studies and hoping to find an area that will allow him to make his own fortune when he finishes school. Until now, he'd blew through on Daddy's money and influence and never had to think about a job or money."

 

"Now Miss Granger. Do we see her being able to do two years in one?"

 

"Easily, and she has the extra incentive of wanting to spare her parents the additional year of tuition thanks to her foolishness. Is anybody having problems tutoring her when she's not in class or working with the tutors?"

 

"No, she is very good about showing up for our lessons and working hard, she knows she *has* to do this in one year."

 

"Pomona, how is Mr. Longbottom doing?"

 

"Good, he got more information from Eureka during Christmas break. I know most people would never allow their apprentice to talk to outside masters but I'm learning just as much as he is."

 

The next day in New York Doc Savage looks up from a book he's reading at the buzzing. Exiting the library he checks the screens and pushes a button.

 

"Dr. Savage, I'm agent Peter Burke from the FBI's corporate crimes branch here in New York, this is my partner Neal Caffrey."

 

"Yes gentlemen, may I help you?"

 

"Sir, we're sorry to bother you but we're investigating Justin Hammer. Your name was found on some records."

 

"I brought some products from him but it was substandard and never ordered from him again."

 

"According to his records you purchased from him multiple times."

 

"No gentlemen, I only purchased from him once."

 

"Can we come in and go over the records?"

 

"Certainly."

 

"Definite forgery." Peter says an hour ago as they've gone through all the paperwork for the supposed sales.

 

"And not a good one at that. I could do better half drunk."

 

"Nobody ever said Hammer was smart. And don't even think it." Peter says, looking at him.

 

"Where to now Peter?" Neal says as they gather up the paperwork and put it back in his briefcase.

 

"Stark International, they're also on the list of major purchases."

 

"Tony Stark loathes Hammer, he would not buy from the man or his company." Doc says dryly.

 

"Yeah, the SA and his cronies thought this is the bust of the century . . .now they got egg on their face for offering him immunity in return for his records." Neal snorts. "Now they're getting nibbled on by his superiors to show results, getting threats to sue from people whose names showed up in his pack of lies, and listening to howls of outrage from the citizens who see him thumbing his nose at the authorities. Meanwhile real crooks are getting away since we're all busy investigating pipe dreams."

 

"I'd better call Tony and let him know we're coming."

 

"We're coming?" Peter asks.

 

"Tony loathes government agents, too many trying to tell him what he can and cannot do. Without me there, you'd never get beyond the first level of security."

 

"Agent Burke. . ." Tony Stark says, holding onto his temper by the skin of his teeth only because Pepper is busy digging a heel through his foot and Steve is giving him that look. You know, the 'I am going to be so disappointed in you if you throw a fit' look. He hates that look. Which is why Steve uses it on him so often. "Hammer is a lying sack of shit. I have not and would never buy anything from him, even a newspaper if he was selling them on the street. There is not one thing he has ever thought of that I have not made and made better. I could be dying and still make better."

 

"No, if you were dying you'd be whining like a two year old who doesn't have his favorite toy." Pepper snorts.

 

"Or swearing because you did something stupid and are trying to stop it from taking out more than the building. . .the city. . .the state. . .the country. . .the world." Bruce says dryly as he walks through.

 

"Hammer's shit is what you thought was so magical when you were stoned out of your ass on the pain pills then realized is worthless when you come down from them."

 

"Agent Burke, please show me the so-called orders from Tony. I handle all his major purchases and would not only have receipts from the credit cards, I'd have copies of the orders." Pepper goes to her desk and logs into her computer.

 

Peter and Pepper go over the paperwork as Neal starts talking quietly with Bruce, Steve, and Clint. Peter frowns slightly, he knows Neal's got a quick mind and good at blending in. . .all perfect traits for a conman but the way he's seeming to pattern himself on each person he's talking to is a little disturbing. And why is Dr. Savage and Mr. Stark frowning and quietly looking at each other?

 

"Okay, this is all the requisitions for the first date." Pepper says. Peter turns his attention back to Pepper. He looks through the tabs as she looks at the record. "No, this is none of ours. . each section would have put their name on the requistion so we'd know where to send everything."

 

"And there's no matching amounts on the personal or business credit cards." Peter looks at Pepper. "Could Mr. Stark have any accounts you're not familiar with?"

 

"He could. . .but he doesn't because assholes trying to cause trouble have tried to have him audited. All his information is here for the government. Trust me, they went looking and didn't find a thing. Multiple times."

 

"But couldn't they have lied?" The special agent in charge of the New York Bureau whines as he's confronted by the fact he's a damn fool.

 

"Not all of them. Most of the credit card numbers are fakes and those that are real don't have transactions for that amount on that date for that company." The records are put down in front of him. "Congratulations, you listened to a damn lying bastard because you thought he had the goods on the movers and shakers in town. He didn't and he's making a laughingstock of the bureau."

 

"But he swore he had proof of wrongdoing." he whines.

 

"Well he lied and we look like idiots. Now I'm bringing in my own people and we're taking over this branch and we're going through everything. Consider yourself on unpaid leave until we're done."

 

"You can't."

 

"The hell I can't."

 

'This is all that bastard Caffrey's fault, ever since Burke brought him in he's been a pain in my side. He has to have changed all the paperwork to make a fool out of me. I'll have to deal with him. . .and Burke if he gets in my way.' He vows as he's allowed to gather his personal items out of his office and walk out of the building. At least it's after everybody has gone home and the new shift isn't in yet so nobody sees him being escorted from the building.

 

A couple of days later Neal and Peter are walking off the elevator at the Empire State Building after thanking Doc for all his help on the case.

 

"Caffrey." A male's voice calls from the outside door. Neal turns then throws himself aside as two shots are fired.

 

Peter turns and pulls his gun, getting off a couple of shots and getting behind cover as he's hit. He hates leaving Neal in danger and turns his head quickly, sighing as he sees Neal being dragged behind cover. Doc grabs a wad of towels from the cleaning crew taking care of the bathroom and presses down to stop the bleeding.

 

"Die you sonnovabitch, you lying bastard. You and that fucking conman ruined my life." Neal's gun is empty and he throws it aside as he's tackled and starts fighting mano a mano, ignoring the knife that cuts into his chest and stomach. He fights with him, turning the knife away as it cuts into this arms, wrists, and hands. Adrenaline gives him added strength and he clubs the other man with the broken leg of a chair, knocking him unconscious.

 

"Call 911." He pants, pushing the other man off him.

 

"Already on their way." More than one person says.

 

"Good. If the building has security make sure they have copies of the video footage. They'll want to talk to eyewitnesses and if there was any cell phone footage, they'll want that too."

 

Neal moans as the pain in his side eases and his sight blurs as an arm in a white sleeve moves in his line of sight as a syringe is put away in the kit Doc had pulled out. Once the quick acting drug has taken affect Doc peels away the emergency bandage he'd put on the wound when Neal was shot and takes a good look at the injury. He shakes his head, he's going to have to operate.

 

Peter slumps down next to them. "Is he okay?"

 

"He'll need surgery." Doc says. Then he looks at the other man. "You'll need medical attention as well."

 

"I've got to deal with this shit first." Peter sighs and tries to lever himself back to his feet. Only to stare at them when his legs refuse to obey his commands to move. Doc chuckles softly, recognizing the adrenaline wearing off and lets him sit there as he deals with the police and assorted agents that are arriving.

 

Peter blinks as a strong arm picks him up from the floor, leading him across the floor towards the elevators. How strong is Dr. Savage? He can see he's carrying Neal on his other side. His eyes close as everything begins to narrow and Doc pulls Peter closer as the adrenaline finishes wearing off and he loses consciousness. Adjusting his grip he runs his card through the slot in the elevator going straight up to headquarters. Taking them right into his examination/operating room, pulling his wand and casting some spells the mediwitches and mediwizards had taught him to keep them stable. Peter lost more blood thanks to the fight, he'll have to work on him first. Looking at the two men he grabs his phone.

 

"Tony, it's Clark. Agent Burke and Mr. Caffrey have been injured. . .Ah, it's already on the news. Do you have extra saline and plasma?"

 

"Yes, do you need whole blood? We've got some that's going to have to be disposed of thanks to a blood drive. JARVIS, hack into the FBI's medical files and find Agent Burke and Mr. Caffrey's blood types for transfusion. And find out if there are any relatives to be notified."

 

"Already done sir, both men are A-. I cannot find relatives for Mr. Caffrey, there are no records for him before the age of eighteen but Agent Burke has a wife."

 

"Ask Doc if he needs anything else besides the blood." Bruce orders as he heads to the infirmary. JARVIS can keep him updated as he packs a box. By the time he gets down there JARVIS has a list for him and he packs everything, grabbing the keys to a sedan that Tony tosses him before he takes the elevator to the garage. The key fob turns on a vehicle and he gets in, arriving at the Empire State Building ten minutes later and driving into the garage so he doesn't have to deal with the mess in the lobby.

 

Doc lets him in the elevator remotely and they start cutting away clothes and setting up ivs before moving Peter into the operating room.

 

"Pepper, remind me to set the biologists on finding a way to clone blood for emergencies like this." Tony says as he slumps into a seat by Pepper's desk. "JARVIS, keep an eye on the news for any information you can find on the attack? Police broad band too. And FBI phones."

 

"Want me to call GD and see if they figured out how to clone human blood or keep it preserved longer than 21 days?" Pepper asks.

 

"They've got a larger stock to call on if they need an emergency transfusion." He says. "Though Grandma has been nagging for a call." Smirking he dials a familiar number.

 

"Blake."

 

"Hey Grammy."

 

"Anthony Edward Stark, you are not too big to beat." Allison says slowly in her office. Across from her Nathan chuckles and turns back to reading the reports from various sections. Just Tony tormenting Allie.

 

"No we haven't, like you said if we need an emergency transfusion we have a large pool of people to donate. You can freeze blood and blood products but that means you can't use it quickly in the case of an accident." Nathan raises an eyebrow at that response.

 

They talk for a few more minutes.

 

"Put me on with the cranky one if he's not busy." Tony says.

 

"Okay." Allison looks at the phone then Nathan. "Tony wants to talk to you.

 

"What's up?"

 

"Talk to me about that young man you moved to Eureka, Jarod?"

 

"Why?"

 

"I think I might have found another Pretender? I met an associate of an FBI agent last week, he almost seemed to be patterning himself on me, Clint, and Bruce while his partner and Pepper were talking about the horse shit story that we brought stuff from Hammer. Clark saw it too."

 

"Send me video footage if you still have it and I'll talk to Jarod about it. He's due back in a couple days, the island was struck by a storm and it delayed their testing."

 

Several hours later Elizabeth sobs against Peter's shoulder as he lays sleeping in a hospital bed in headquarters.

 

"E liz a beth?" Neal breaths from his bed.

 

She turns her sobs on him. He reaches out an arm and pats her back.

 

"You both could have been killed."

 

"What happened?"

 

"The Special asshole had a fit when his buddy Hammer's promises to bring down the movers and shakers in New York turned out to be so much lies. When all the 'proof' turned out to be more of his lies he was removed as head of the bureau and outside agents brought in to go over all his records. He didn't want to admit that he'd been led around by the nose by Hammer, you had to taken the real records and forged copies to make him look bad."

 

"I'm going to sue the pants off that bastard."

 

"I've already talked to the lawyers. You and Peter just need to sign them."

 

"He's going to be be bleeding money for years." Peter says from his bed. He wraps an arm around Elizabeth and looks at Neal around her. "I'm leaving the bureau."

 

"I knew you weren't happy about it anymore."

 

"No, the brass was pushing more nonsense down on the agents. Neal's off his sentence, he doesn't have to work with me." He raises a hand and points a finger at Neal. "That doesn't give you leave to go back to what you were doing."

 

"What are you two going to do?"

 

"They can come to work for me." Doc says from the door to the recovery room. "I can use a couple of investigators and Mr. Burke's arrest rate is excellent at the bureau. And Mr. Caffrey's talents can be used for other than personal gain."

 

Neal would have shrugged if he wasn't so sore. "Either that or I become a male stripper."

 

Peter just looks at him as Elizabeth snickers despite herself.

 

"But they made a fool out of me." a man in leg chains whines as he's dragged before a federal judge the next morning.

 

"No, you acting like a jackass and giving Hammer immunity made a fool out of you." The federal prosecutor snorts. "You shooting two men and trying to stab one of them makes you a criminal. Bail denied, he's a flight risk."

 

"You can't doooo that." He wails as he's pulled to his feet. "I can't stay in jail, you don't know what they'll do to me there."

 

"You're in protective custody jackass, they can't touch you." his own attorney snorts.

 

"But they still yell at me." He whines as the court officers drag him off. "Flaming jackass. You deserve to get yelled at. You knew it was too good to be true, anybody with half a brain would have looked at the paperwork and thought. . .'yeah, right. . .sure you sold all that to all these people' and laughed at his attempts to get off. Christ, Stark made weapons. . .why the hell would he buy from Hammer instead of going back to making his own?" the prosecutor snorts.

 

"He was looking for the bust to make his career, this way he'd be able to write his ticket to any office he wanted. Because working for what he wanted was too hard. How are the men he injured?" the judge asks.

 

"Looking at a long time recovering. Interestingly enough neither wants to stay on with the bureau after being shot by their supposed boss." The prosecutor says.

 

"No, I can understand why not. That would be the textbook example of a hostile work environment." The judge says dryly. "I assume you've talked to them about civil lawsuits for pain and suffering?"

 

"Oh yes, I believe the response was 'going to make the bastard bleed money for years."

 

"He'll have plenty of time to work to pay off the judgement. I can't see a jury believing his 'I snapped because they had to have altered the papers, I can't have been wrong in believing his story' sob story." The defense attorney snorts as he finishes putting together the files and putting them in his briefcase.

 

"Me neither, not when his 'poor, misunderstood friend' was already arrested for trying to take out his competition. . . again."