Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


“Harry?” Dudley’s voice called out from the other side of the cupboard door, followed by a faint knocking sound. “Are you awake?”

“Yes,” Harry replied groggily.

The bolt on the cupboard door could be heard sliding back and the door opened with a slight squeak.

Dudley stood nervously in the doorway. “Something is wrong with mummy and daddy. They’re eyes are open but they won’t talk to me and tell me where my candy is.”

Harry sighed. “It’s probably on the top shelf in the cupboard to the right of the sink. That’s where Aunt Petunia always hides extra sweets.”

Dudley’s face brightens. “Oh, okay,” He replied before turning and walking to the kitchen to collect his candy.

With a shake of his head, Harry left his little cupboard as Dudley ran to retrieve his candy.

Harry climbed the stairs to the second floor and tentatively knocks on the door his aunt and uncle bedroom. “Aunt Petunia? Uncle Vernon,” he called out as he open the door enough to poke his head in.

Not receiving a response, Harry crept into the room and over to his aunt’s side of the bed. “Aunt Petunia,” Harry said with a shaky voice as he stared at the woman lying in bed.

Petunia lay there unmoving. Her eyes were wide open, staring at the ceiling. A sound that was a mixture of a whimper and moan came from her parted lips.

“I’m going to go get help,” Harry said as he walked away from the bed before rushing from the room and down the stair.

Dudley barely looked away from the tele while eating his candy when Harry pounded down the stairs and over to the phone.

With a nervously glance towards the stairs, Harry picked up the phone and dialed 9-9-9.

“Emergency, which service?” a female voice on the other end of the phone answered.

“Hello,” Harry answered timidly

“Is your mummy there?” the woman asked.

“No. My mummy is dead. My aunt Petunia said it was a car accident,” Harry replied.

“Is your aunt there?” the woman asked.

“Yes but aunt Petunia and uncle Vernon… something is wrong with them,” Harry said

“Wrong, how?”

“They won’t get up. Aunt Petunia’s eyes are open but she won’t move. That’s why I called. Dudley and me are scared,” Harry said.

“I’m not scared,” Dudley shouted. “You take that back or I’ll tell mummy!”

Harry sighed. “Dudley’s not scared but I am.”

“It’s ok for you to be scared. I’m scared sometimes too,” the woman said. “Can you tell me your name?”

“Harry,” Harry replied.

“How old are you, Harry?” the woman asked.

Harry paused for a moment as he counted his fingers. “Four.”

“That’s a good age,” the woman said. “Can you tell me what your street address is?”

Harry shook his head. “Dudley do you know our street address?”

“Number 4,” Dudley answered proudly. “Number 4… private something.”

“Dudley says its Number 4 private something,” Harry told the woman on the phone.

“Alright,” the woman replied. “You know your Aunt’s and Uncle last name?”

“Umm... Dur… Dursley. Petunia and Vernon Dursley,” Harry said proudly.

“I found your address, Harry and I’m sending someone to help your aunt and uncle but I need you to stay on the phone,” the woman said. “Can you do that?”

“Yes,” Harry replied as he nodded his head.

“Is there anyone else in the house?” the woman asked.

“No, just Dudley and me,” Harry answered.

“Are there any pets? Dogs? Cats?” the woman asked.

“No. Uncle Vernon say’s they’re a waste of money, like me,” Harry replied.

The woman paused for a moment before saying, “Alright… ummm… Can you tell me if anyone has been sick recently?” the woman asked.

“No,” Harry answered with a shake of his head.

“What did you and your family do last night?” the woman asked. “Did you go out?”

“Uncle Vernon and Dudley went out trick or treating. I stayed home,” Harry replied.

“And your aunt?” the woman asked.

“She gave out candy,” Harry replied.

“Did you help give out candy?” the woman asked.

“No. I wasn’t allowed,” Harry replied.

“Why not?” the woman asked.

“Uncle Vernon said that trick and treat isn’t for my type,” Harry replied.

“Your type?” the woman asked

“That’s what uncle Vernon said,” Harry stated.

The woman was once again silent for a moment. “What’s your favourite cartoon, Harry?”

“I’m not allowed to watch the tele but Dudley’s favorite is Inspector Gadget,” he answered.

“Alright… then…ummm… favourite color?” the woman asked, as she tried to distract Harry and keep him calm. “My favourite is blue. What’s yours?”

“Green. Like my eyes,” Harry answered cheerfully

“Ohhh. I love green eyes. I bet you’re a very handsome young man,” the woman said with a giggle.

A blush came to Harry’s cheeks. “I’m not.”

The woman chuckled. “Oh you may not be right now but give it some time and the girls will be lining up.”

“Why would the girls be lining up? And don’t girls have things like dreaded lurgy? My cousin Dudley told me so,” Harry replied.

The woman giggled. “You’ll understand when you’re older,” the woman replied before sounding serious again. “Alright, Harry, I’ve just been informed that the police just arrived at your home. I need you to put the phone down, do not hang it up and then open the door for them. Can you do that?”

“Yes,” Harry nodded his head.

“Alright, then go do that,” the woman told him.

Harry placed the phone down and then went and opened the door just as the officers were walking up towards the house.

“Hello,” Harry said tentatively.

“Hello,” the older of the two officers said. “I’m Officer Jack and this is Officer Henry and you must be Harry.”

Harry nodded his head. “How did you know?”

“The woman on the phone told us. She told us that you and your cousin were here and that your aunt and uncle were sick,” Office Jack explained.

“Oh,” Harry replied simply.

“Where are your aunt and uncle, Harry?” Officer Henry asked.

“In their bedroom,” Harry said as he pointed towards the stairs.

“I’ll go check on them and see what I can do,” Officer Henry started towards the stairway.

“And I’ll stay here with Harry and his cousin,” Officer Jack said with a reassuring smile towards Harry. “And actually I need to use the phone and let them know that we’re here and both you and your cousin are safe. Can you show me the phone, Harry?”

Harry nodded his head and started to walk over to where he laid the phone. The officer glanced briefly into the living room where Dudley sat watching the tele, empty candy wraps piling around him.

Officer Jack accepted the phone from Harry. “Hello, this is Officer Jack Traven.”

“Yes.”

”Yes, that correct.”

“Okay. Thanks. Have a good day.”

Officer Jack turned and looked at Harry as the ambulance pulled up in from of the house. “Everything is going to be alright, Harry. Everything will be fine.”

The End?