Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


“You know this place couldn’t be half bad with a few changes,” a male spirit said as he slowly appeared in the cell of the notorious murderer by the name of Sirius Black. “Change the lightening. Paint the walls.” A prisoner’s scream echoed down the halls. “Get rid of the neighbors. Oh and you would have to change the staff. Really can’t keep them on. They pull the mood of the place down.”

“Well it is Azkaban, Regulus,” Sirius said from the corner he was curled up in, trying to ward off the cold. “It would hardly be the most feared place in the wizard world without them.”

“True. True,” Regulus admitted as he looks around the cell.

“So have you come here to gloat,” Sirius growled at his brother. “Come to see me thrown in prison by the side I trusted, I gave my support to?”

Regulus looked at his elder brother before shaking his head. “No. No, I haven’t.”

Sirius snorted as he pulled the rags covering his body tighter around him.

“I came here… I came here to tell you that you were right,” Regulus admitted.

Sirius looked at the spirit of his brother in confusion. “Could you repeat that, please?”

“You were right!” Regulus said in agitated manner as he started to pace the cell. “You were right about the Pureblood ideals and about Muggle-born. You were right about the Dark Lord and the insanity he brought to our world. You won’t believe the things that… that man had done.”

Sirius snorted. “I would believe. I saw the results more than once,” he admitted. “And you helped him.”

Regulus nodded his head sadly as he sank down to the floor. “And I regret every moment of it,” he said softly. “When I died… I had to face everything I did. Those I killed… a girl only a little older than me… she forgave me! Me! The person who ended her life. She forgave me. Claimed I was miss-lead by evil. That I was tricked.”

Sirius sat there quietly as his brother confessed everything.

Regulus was silence for a moment. “When I joined… I thought I was doing a good thing. Protecting our world, our way of life… protecting it from them… from the muggles. Mother always taught us how wrong them were… how they destroy everything the touch. That they were nothing more than smart animals.”

“She was wrong,” Sirius said.

“Wrong,” Regulus said with a laugh. “Wrong doesn’t even come close. Everything our parents taught us was a lie. And somehow you saw through it all. You knew it was all a lie.”

Sirius snorted. “I didn’t. I believed all that crap about Muggles and Muggles-born. But you… you were always their favourite. The one who I was compared to. I was the eldest but it was you, the baby of the family who was the apple of their eyes. So one day I gave up. I decided if I couldn’t be prefect like you then I could be everything you weren’t; everything to pissed mother and father off. You can imagine my surprise when I realized that everything our loving parents told us was a lie.”

Regulus shook his head with a snort. “Fate always seems to love you. Fall in a pile of dragon dung and come up covered in gold and silver.”

“I would hardly say that,” Sirius growled as he waved a hand around his cell. “I would hardly call this being covered in gold and silver.”

“I would say having friends from beyond the grave who are willing to help you as being covered in gold and silver,” Regulus countered.

“James and Lily,” Sirius whispered.

“More than just them… more than just me,” Regulus replied. “Things are changing fast and if you don’t want to screw things up, you better listen to what I have to say.”

“What is it? What’s changing?” Sirius demanded. “Does it have to do with Harry?”

“Are you going to listen to me, Sirius? Because if you don’t and you screw this up, there is no third chance for you… or your godson. Understand?” Regulus asked.

Sirius nodded his head. “What do you need me to do?”

“Alright I can’t tell you what’s going on right now but when they come for you and they will come. When they do, you need to keep your mouth shut and let out your Slytherin side,” Regulus said.

Sirius snorted. “My Slytherin side? Do you do remember that I was sorted into Gryffindor?”

“And do you remember saying that you would do everything that is the opposite of what mother and father would want,” Regulus pointed out.

Sirius raised an eyebrow questioningly at his brother. “Are you claiming that I somehow made the Sorting Hat place me in Gryffindor instead of Slytherin?”

“Yes,” Regulus replied simply.

Sirius simply shrugged his shoulder. “It helped that the Hat wasn’t exactly a fan of mother. Seems she insulted it somehow when it was her turn to be sorted.”

Regulus shook his head. “That explains a lot,” he mumbled before turning his attention back to his brother. “As I was saying, things are happening out there and you’ll have to be clever and cunning to take advantage of it.”

“So play up the poor innocent heir of the house of Black,” Sirius commented.

Regulus smirked, “And also the regent of the house of Potter; guardian and protector of the Boy Who Lived.”

Sirius’s eye narrowed. “I take it Lily and James want me to do something special with Harry.”

“Leave,” Regulus answered simply. “Leave the Isles. Go someplace far from here. Someplace where they don’t know that bastard Dumbledore.”

“Dumbledore,” Sirius said in surprise.

“In death, all is revealed,” Regulus said simply.

The two brothers sat there silently before Sirius said, “You’re not going to tell me, are you?”

Regulus snorted. “And have you do something stupid, I think not. You’ll figure it out in time, big brother. And when you do, don’t do anything.” A satisfying smirk appeared on Regulus’ face, “You could say the dead have plans for our dear Headmaster.”

“And you don’t want me messing up those plans,” Sirius replied.

Regulus nodded his head in agreement. “And someday when you die, which better be a long, long time from now, you’ll be able to join in. Remember, death is for all eternity.”