Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Xander looked at Horatio. "Sorry I got you drug in on your free time."

"No, I'd rather be here for this. That way they can't misplace any of it. I don't trust federal agents. They tend to hire the lowest common denominator. Especially the ones they send down to bother us."

"Yeah, I don't trust most of them either. Though I do know an FBI agent who even dad respects. I lose him now and then whenever he's looking for me but Dad said he knows his job and he scares the lesser agents."

"Maybe I should work with him next time," he said blandly.

"Fornell? It might make him happy to get down in the sun sometimes." Horatio smiled at that. "I know I'm a pain in the ass, Horatio."

"You're not really, Xander. Actually you're less of a pain than the normal interns. You know more, you volunteer, and you pull your own weight. We've already had to let two of the others go because they were slacking off." Xander gave him a sheepish grin. "Your idea of slacking off is Speed's idea of slacking off, calling in two hours late to get over the hangover."

"I don't get hangovers. Occasionally I get nauseous but I don't get the headache. Oh, but if I'm drinking margaritas, I get the spins."

Horatio looked at him. "I'll keep that in mind. Anything else I should know?"

"One of the spooks tried to remove me from the club?"

"I'll keep an eye out for those as well." He saw Xander looking. "What?"

"Salt." He found it and poured it in, stirring it together. Then he added the chemicals he had mixed earlier, taking the pan off the heat when it started to bubble. He pulled the glass baking dish out of the fridge they were borrowing and carefully poured the mix in, listening to make sure it didn't crack the pan. Then he smiled and turned the oven on 'low' and set it inside with the door open and a fan running on it. "There. It'll stink soon. The other reason I didn't want to do this in the lab." He grinned. "I've even used a dehydrator before. Got it too dry and crumbly."

"How many times have you done this?"

"In practice and twice for Abby," he admitted with another sheepish grin. "I made hers in clay animal format." Horatio cracked a smile at that. "I spent four weeks doing weapons and explosives in the morning, then self defense and computers at night. I did pretty good in there."

"So I saw on the evaluation forms." He walked Xander off, it was starting to stink. They went out into the small back yard and found a swing, sitting down together. "How many more of those will you need?"

"For their test tonight, nothing more. That'll make five pounds once it's dried. Maybe just a bit over. If they need the real stuff for the full buy I'll have to take a day sooner so it dries. He got up and went to check something he had put into the freezer, coming out with the metal pot. He put it between them and reached in, pulling out the stuff to start making balls. "Let's do this."

"Gloves?"

"I don't get them even and uneven textured balls means that you don't get even spread on the explosion." Horatio nodded at that and helped. "Besides, there's cleaners that can take this stuff off your hands."

"Thankfully most people don't know that."

"No, most of them are trained by the military and they don't get that stuff. They want to know who's been playing with the explosives. The CIA not so much wanting others to know you play with explosives." Horatio nodded, letting the swing move. "So, you wanted to ask stuff I'm sure."

"I do but I'm not sure where to start." He glanced at him as he put aside another ball of explosives. "Mine are smaller."

"That's fine. This is pretty potent stuff." Xander reworked his first two so they were smaller. The extra from them got made into a third ball and he moved on. "There's always one stepchild that's smaller," he joked.

"It's usually the last one, like when you make muffins."

"I can make muffins from a mix. I didn't spend much time at home and dad was always working so food was the crock pot, something quick at the end of the day, or something frozen or ordered. Willow sent me her spare crock pot when I gushed about all the great takeout spots in DC." That got a quiet chuckle. "Go ahead and ask."

"Graduation." Xander stiffened. "You were there?"

Xander looked at him. "That was my battle plan," he said quietly, glancing around for their minders. "It was necessary."

"From what I heard it was." He reached over to push back some of Xander's hair. "Longer or shorter, Xander."

"Dad wanted me to get a haircut." Horatio nodded. "I'll do that tonight." He grinned. "Should I make Speed help me buy t-shirts too?"

"Take Eric, he dresses better."

"Eric's afraid my gayness will infect him, boss."

"He's not, Xander. He takes a very practical view of gay men - more women for him." Xander burst out in giggles at that, making him smile. Horatio took off his suitcoat and put it off to the side so it couldn't be touched by anything. "He would help if you asked. You do dress a bit down most of the time."

"Yeah, but you missed the kilt."

"Kilt?"

"Abby."

"I've met Abby at a few conventions," he said dryly, giving him a look. "Why was she involved?"

"She put me in her grandmother's clan tartan. We made the old director have a migraine that day. He sent me home since all I had were the leather pants we had bought on lunch and he had a memo out within ten minutes banning kilts, leather, or mesh tank tops." Horatio smiled. "I did it perfectly correct, but I did leave the furry bag on the table most of the day and I wore my black high tops."

"I'm sure you were adorable."

"Kate still groans whenever Tony picks on her. She had thoughts."

"I'm sure. Wore it traditionally?"

"Of course," he assured him with a naughty grin. "Which made Abby squeal when she checked." He laughed at that. "Dad still groans now and then too."

"Are there pictures?"

"Tony has one. You could tempt Speed into asking for his blackmail photos so I can see what he's got."

"Break into his desk."

"I tried that, he found out and swatted me." He shrugged and made another ball. Their minder came outside. "Few hours. Then I'll need a plastic thing to cut with."

"I'm still trying to figure out what to get you."

"Plastic and has to have a sharp edge," Horatio said, glancing at him. "Go to the hardware store."

"Not a bad idea." He sent the agent with them off. Then he looked at Xander. "Yes, I do read lips. It was *necessary*?"

"Did you see the remains in the school?"

"I did."

"That had to be ripped apart before it ate everything."

"Never mind, good enough for me. I'm sure someone somewhere's already classified that stuff."

"Along with the reason dad found me."

"Even better. One less thing I have to worry about." He came over. "What's that?"

"Temptation. If he has a clue he'll know what this is. If he's as big as you say he'll know." He looked at him. "Also as an apology for the other stuff still being too wet."

"Okay. How strong is that?"

Xander held up a ball. "Half a cruise ship." The agent shuddered. "It's not hard to make either." He made another ball and then moved and dusted off his hands, sneezing well away from that. "Sorry." He went inside to blow his nose and clean his hands off with the special soap he had requested. Then he came back out. "Didn't want to give anyone any biologicals."

"We could still get epithelials," Horatio reminded him.

"No we can't. The first ball we did conditioned our hands and coated them. This stuff is great for conditioning the skin." Horatio looked amused. "Seriously, look at your hands." He picked up a ball to work again and then put it down, letting him see his hands and the coating of liquid on them. "Part of the forming is pressing out the extra binding agents. The first ball may have some DNA from skin cells but the rest we're covered for. Plus we'll have really soft hands tomorrow." He got back to work with a smile when Horatio just shook his head. "Anyway, this is great stuff but only someone truly linked into the black market will know. It was created by some Russian guy and we stole the recipe from him. They killed him when they stole the recipe from him."

"So they'll know we've got someone who's former government from the Cold War," the agent said, smiling at that. "Good way to mask your true age, kid."

"Also to see if he's got a clue. This stuff is gold in the right circles. Speaking of, I need to call Dad. See if he wants a few balls to get loose so he can track them."

"No," Horatio ordered. "If he wants that, he can have you make some."

Xander nodded. "That's reasonable. That's why I wanted you to take control of it."

"Does this burn?"

"Oh, yeah. I've held a few bonfires with a few practice batches. It burns very well." He grinned. Then he got back to work, watching what he was doing. "This is still too pliable to make into animals."

Horatio grinned and snorted. "You're unique, Xander. Stay that way."

Xander gave him a look. "Would you really want more than one of me?"

"No," the agent said, heading back inside where he could shudder in private.

"Go ahead and ask since we're alone again."

"Have you met anyone nice down here? I know you've went out a few times."

"I've found a few people to play with but no one to date. I put them in separate categories."

"Most people do," he agreed. "Especially at your age. What are you looking for?"

"Tony." Horatio smiled at that. "I know, fantasies and all that." He shrugged and pulled out another ball, using it to scrape up the end of the pot. He handed some of it to Horatio and he added it to his, then all of them got carried inside and back into the freezer. "You'll need an ice pack for those. They're kept cold until use." He washed up, handing Horatio the soap when he came in. "That stuff has additives that kill residue and won't ruin our new softness." He got done and wiped his hands on the towel. That would be taken when they were done he was sure. Horatio did the same and Xander went to turn the other pan around in the oven to let the other side get just as dry. Then he headed back to the swing. "We could probably do my eval," he offered.

Horatio joined him. "We could. I know mine to your teacher so far has been glowing." He sat down next to him again and started the swing moving. "Did you want to come back next summer?"

"If I'm offered, I'll be down here on time with my tail wagging."

Horatio nodded. "As long as things don't get too much worse, you'd probably have a spot, Xander." Xander smiled at that. He heard a muted swear and looked back. "What?"

"The boss doesn't like this idea."

"We still on?" Xander called.

"Yeah, we have to have it, he doesn't like that we're using someone who took that class you did."

Xander shrugged. "Yay. Tell him they paid for my college and to bark at my dad too."

"No thanks. Your father would eat him and he still signs my evaluations." He went back inside. He hoped the Lieutenant could help calm that kid down because he had heard about some of his wild stunts in DC.

***

Speed ran into the kid the next morning, looking him over. "You look like you slept."

"I did. Mostly." He shrugged. "Where's Eric?"

"He's in the labs but I wanted to stop you first," he said quietly, pulling him back outside for a minute. "Xander, there have been a few loud officers about that case," he offered. "I know you need to work this but they're making me want to reach for a gun to shoot them. You're openly gay, they could come after you."

"As my father learned, I learned self-defense too, Speed. Don't worry about that." Speed nodded at that. "If I need it, I'll call when they're done." He walked back inside, signing in and heading to the labs once he had his jacket and case out of his locker. "Do we have pictures?" Eric nodded. "There's a few people who know *everything* that goes on and if they don't know, they'll know who to ask. I know where they brunch. Coming?"

"Sure," he agreed, taking the file with him. He followed the kid out to the hummer and even let him drive this time. "You've been over the case file?"

"Yeah, after you left that day. Speed just warned me we've got loud officers who're protesting us investigating too." He backed out and headed off, going to where they would be. It was early but not that early with traffic. "He wanted to make sure I knew that they might try me too for being gay."

"You are pretty open. Even most of the gay cops don't come out that way."

"Eric, I could care less if the patrol guys like me," he said blandly. "You either like me because I'm good, you like me for the person I am, or you don't. I'm over my phase of wanting to be liked. I was over that years ago. I was an outcast in high school," he offered at the odd look he got. "I had two friends."

"I'm sorry."

"I'm not. I learned some incredible things because of them." He changed lanes and found the place he was going for, scanning the parking lot before he parked. "One's here." They got out and he led the way inside, kissing the waiter who came to seat them on the cheek. "We need to speak to Lord Hillary about a case," he said quietly. "We're with the crime lab."

"Let me check, sir." He walked off then came back and nodded, leading them into the back room. "Here you go. Would you need anything?"

"Get them some coffee," the older man at the table offered. He looked them over, dismissing Eric out of hand. "You come to us now?"

"We wanted to have the full facts forensically before we came," Xander offered. "May I sit?" That got a hand wave so Xander sat across from him and patted the folder he put on the table. "We always go through the lab first and then come looking for suspects. That way we can't accuse those who weren't involved and we know the right questions to ask."

"It's a good strategy," he agreed, smiling as another man was let into the room. "These two nice boys are from the crime lab. Sweetie, you can sit."

"Thank you. I never sit unless offered." He sat near Xander. "We've done what we can in the labs, but Xander has heard that you might have some more information or know who we can go to. The tapes from the club aren't conclusive and they're blocked for most of it. What we have we can't match, it's too general."

"And I want to solve this," Xander told them simply. The new person looked at him. "I don't like people like gay bashers fouling the air I breathe, especially out at the clubs. They're up on the top of my shit list with rapists, child molesters, terrorists, and murderers."

That got a small smile from the second man. "You're a new hire at the lab?"

"Intern. I'm Harris, from DC." He shook his hand. "I've been interning a while now up there at NCIS."

"That's wonderful," he agreed. "Why specifically come to us?"

Xander grinned at them both. "I asked some people late last night who to go to. They said your group of six or seven, depending on who's on vacation at the time, either know what's going on everywhere in this city or you know who would know. We need a witness or four. The more the merrier in this case."

"In tights?" the first man teased.

"Hey, if they want to be in tights, I salute them. I can't. I did SCA stuff and I hated tights." That got a laugh. "I did." Eric gave him an odd look. "I got to play with swords, of course I did, Eric." He grinned. "This is Eric Delko. He's one of the guys mentoring me on my internship and it's his case. I'm being pushy and got myself assigned to help him. I know some people wouldn't feel as comfortable talking to him, and a few paranoid ones might even think he'd be like them because he's straight."

"DC must be very different than down here," the second man said.

Xander looked at him. "I've had guys shy away from me because I was too tough. I've mostly spent my time down at Bria and Orrorro. Whoever named it after a comic character was very nice."

That got another tolerant smile. "Those are very mature. Looking for a daddy?" the first guy asked.

"Slightly older, not that much older. Someone slightly steady but still fun and alive."

"That's reasonable at your age."

"Especially with the way the guys my age play," Xander agreed. "Which I've done some of myself." They smiled at that. "I know, I'm not down here for long so I haven't been seriously looking for a good boyfriend, only playmates. If I come down next summer, I'll be looking better." That got a nod from the second guy and a small smile. "Until then, know anyone in DC?" That got a nod from both of them. "Mention my name?"

"Of course, sweetie. It was a horrible crime."

"It was and whoever did it defiled him. His parents didn't know," Eric told them. "His father's still denying what they wrote on him. All we'd like are some witnesses. We can't get any from the tape."

Xander pushed over his coffee cup. "Drink, Eric." He looked at them, seeing the tolerant looks. "I know someone there was having a party. Were they taping?"

"They were," the first one agreed. "We can put you in touch with them." Xander smiled at that. "Have you asked the bouncers?"

"Two said they didn't see anything and the one who did got clubbed in the head. He only has fuzzy memories so far and I don't want this guy to get anyone else," Eric told them.

Hillary patted him on the hand. "Drink, dear. You're obviously bouncy and nervous." Eric smiled and drank some of the coffee. "So, Xander.... DC?"

"DC. My father found me when I was sixteen. I've been there since. No one there would give us any good names of who was there. Could you give us a few? I don't care what they were doing, they'd be treated respectfully by me and the Lieutenant, plus Eric. I will swat him if they get upset."

"Hey! I'm not like that."

"No, he's right," the second person noted. "Some of us will not come forward for fear of being outed or for fear that you straight officers wouldn't treat us well. It's not a problem we have often dealing with the lab but it has happened in the past. Especially the queens. Once burned and all that, Eric."

Eric swallowed. "I have nothing against anyone unless they're doing something really bad. In this case, I don't care if they were with someone who was reasonable but underaged. I don't care if they were having sex. I don't care if they were doing shots at the bar as long as they were sober enough to be aware and reasonably certain of what they saw. The same with drugs, though I'd prefer not to rest it solely on that. Then again, I also know not all of you are like that. We get people in straight clubs who do the same things. As a rule, club witnesses are questioned more thoroughly in case they were drinking or using. That way we're sure of what they saw. We do that to everyone. Horatio wouldn't let us treat anyone differently."

"I like your boss. He's got very pretty eyes."

"He so does," Xander moaned. "I was on spring break when I met him." That got some smiles and Eric swatted him. "They are, Eric, and they suck you in."

"They may but not the point, Xander. Focus."

"Oh, he is. He's usually much more bouncy and likes to ask the queens for fashion recommendations since he dresses so poorly." Hillary looked over the boy this morning. "You even ironed."

"No, I let the dry cleaners iron. I didn't bring one." He shrugged. "I heard you guys were some of the top people in the city. I'm not going to insult you buy wearing a band t-shirt and jeans in here."

"Good boy," the second man offered. "I'll have people call you two directly or your boss. We've worked with him in the past. Is the blonde one free? I know someone who likes to stare and drool at her."

"I don't know. Eric?"

"She's just now breaking up with a guy," Eric offered, shrugging. "I'm not sure if she'd date women or not. I never asked. She doesn't date often I know. She's very picky."

"It must come with the job. Being picky about how you handle evidence and things. May I?" Eric handed over the file and he nodded, then looked at them. "It's a bit early but Miss Kitten was there that night. It was her party." He handed it back. "That one was one of the faceless party boys." He looked at Xander. "You'll make a grand old dame some year, dear."

Xander beamed. "I can only hope I do. After dating all the women who tried to kill me? I like men. I like men a lot." That got some amused laughter. "I did before but afterward? Yeah, I like my men. A lot." That got a smile. "Is Mistress Artemis giving lessons anytime soon?"

"Not that I've heard, but she might make a personal exception."

"I'll ask then. Thank you, gentlemen." He stood up and kissed them on the cheek. "If you hear anything, tell us. Or if you have problems and I'm here, call me." They nodded at that. "Or Horatio. He's very fair." He took the folder. "We'll get coffee before we drop in on Miss Kitten, just in case." That got some nods and they left.

Hillary stopped Eric. "He's a good choice. Many of us wouldn't talk to you, no matter how nice you are."

"I understand why but we're not all like that. You can trust the main people in the lab to be fair and respectful. Horatio would skin us if we weren't."

"I'll let that be known, Eric. Thank you." Eric nodded and headed out after Xander. "Two very cute men. Think he's in denial?"

"If he ever switched it would have to be love," the second man sighed. "Pity. I could use a butt like that." Hillary slapped him on the arm. "I could. So could you."

"I could but Xander was adorable."

"He was and polite. You don't see many of the faceless party boys who respect the old order." That got a smile and when their friends came in, once they knew the coast was clear, they dished over the cuteness.

***

Xander smiled at the queen who opened her door. "Miss Kitten?"

"I am," he said tiredly. "It's very early, sweetie."

"We're doing the case from Pink," Xander told him. "I'm Xander Harris and this is Eric Delko, we're with the crime lab and we were sent to talk to you by Lord Hillary and Ashworth."

"Come in." He let them in, looking them over. "I've seen you at some of the clubs, playing mostly."

"I draw a firm line between dating and playing," Xander agreed. "Dating is for long term things and I'm looking for steadiness and a bit of maturity. They were stress relief and fun. If I was here for longer, I'd be looking for a boyfriend instead of playing."

"Good. Where are you from?"

"DC."

"And? The accent is throwing me."

"Sunnydale. By LA," he offered with a grin. "I was in hiding there and dating some very bad women but hiding my gay side." That got a nod and she let them in. "We heard you were having a party that night. By any chance, was anyone taping anything and could we look it over and possibly copy it?"

"I'll ask them. It could out some people."

"We're not interested in anything beyond what happened to that young man," Eric assured him. He noticed Xander was petting a boa. "Xander?" he said patiently.

"Sorry, this is a wonderful fur. What is it?"

"Lynx." She smiled proudly. "You think you'd like to be a queen?"

Xander grinned. "I couldn't stand the tights in SCA. Pantyhose would drive me nuts." She giggled at that and swatted him. "I have the utmost respect for any and all queens, Miss Kitten. I've learned a lot off them. Including how to iron." That got a smile. "It was necessary."

"Good boy. Sit, please. Thank you for giving me some extra time."

"Lord Hillary said it might be a bit early," Xander apologized. "I want to solve this as soon as we can. I want the person who did this to be the prison bitch within days," he said bluntly, making her blush. "And I want them to treat him just like he treated this boy."

"It's just," she agreed. "There was a tape made but I'm not sure how it can help you. I don't even remember seeing him."

"Ashworth said he was one of the faceless party boys as he called them."

"Him and Xander both," she agreed dryly, smiling at him. "You have to be spectacular or mated to win his attention." She took the folder to look at his picture, then frowned. "He was on the floor. I remember a scuffle. I was a bit tipsy. I turned twenty-nine the night before."

Xander snorted. "Twenty-six I think." She gave him a look. "Really. A few of those wrinkles are makeup." He gave her a knowing look. "Like me, being a bit older is better in some things. I hide my own age since I'm only twenty-two."

"Then you're very good."

"I am." He grinned. "In many things." She giggled and relaxed again. "So, you were turning barely legal and threw the party in the nice, hot, happy, and hopping club. We heard there was a small disturbance on the floor but the cameras didn't catch it. Do you remember what it was over?"

"Oh, it was possessive sister issues," she assured him, waving a hand at him. "Some poor lezzy's girlfriend was dancing with someone she hadn't approved of. A few of the more gallant ones stepped in to break them up and one of the other ones took the poor dear home to soothe her in the most natural way possible."

Eric took notes on that. "When was that, approximately?"

"Hmm, they were about to do the gang trilogy for the punks in the corner. They came on right after them and we all thought it was very appropriate," she told him. She nibbled on her top lip. "Hmm. Maybe an hour after we got there. Did you get my entrance?"

"We did," Eric assured her, smiling at her. "The cameras get the doors and there's an overhead view of the floor but it's too distant and focused off to the right."

"Hmm, and the poor boy was probably led off down the back hallway which is on the left side of the DJ's cage," she agreed. "The bathrooms are near there so it wouldn't have looked too odd."

"The last time I was in Pink, that door nearly stayed open," Xander agreed. She nodded at that. "Can you think of anyone who would've been watching the floor and the kiddies?"

"If Ashworth wasn't, then there wasn't anyone out there but boytoys. So maybe some of the daddies looking for a new twink or maybe a few of the predators looking for an easy lay." She looked at Xander. "I take you for one of those."

"Now and then. When I'm stressed and I need the relief. That's why I set a firm line between dating and playing. I'm always very good to mine and they know what I want when it happens."

"Good. You play safe?"

"As safe as humanly possible," he assured her. "Including only usually hands and rubbing in the clubs. I save sex for dating. Oral stuff if I'm receiving," he offered with a small grin. "I'm more a tease than not."

She nodded. "Good boy. That's always safer. There's one predator who's always there. Right side, upstairs on that small walkway of benches. Usually one of the last two. Talk to him. He does like them that age and he might like you."

Xander smiled. "I'll do that tonight. Can we fast forward through the tape, make sure there's nothing?" She nodded, going to get it for him. He looked at Eric. "Most guys like that get there just before the reasonably active hours so you shouldn't be up too late tonight."

"I've closed down some clubs and went to work the next morning, Xander." He stood up when she came back, taking the camera. Once she sat, he sat. "Do you think he'd be in by ten?"

"Usually closer to eight. He likes them just the wrong side of legal if he can find them and those sort do have bedtimes," she said with a smile at Xander.

"My dad had one of those too." She laughed. He leaned closer. "I need instruction to get better," he hissed. "Who in town besides Mistress Artemis can help me?"

"Practice does make perfect."

"Yeah, but my gag reflex doesn't like it."

"Ah. Mistress Artemis is probably your best bet, deary, if you're not interested in dating."

"If I was here longer, I'd have gotten one within my first week. Next summer if I get to come back. I have plans of interning all through my college."

"You're a rookie?"

"I interned for three years at NCIS under my father and their very goth lab tech. I'm a bit more skilled than the average college student."

Eric showed her the tape. "He's watching the right area. Who's he?"

She looked then frowned. "I don't know him. I don't think I've seen him."

Xander looked. "He looks familiar but I don't think I've seen him at the clubs."

"Okay," Eric decided, nodding at that. He moved on and then looked at her. "Can we copy this? I'll bring it back personally and personally make the copies. I'll edit out anything that I don't need for the case for the DA. Again, personally."

"Agreed. Most of the people caught wouldn't care." She looked at Xander, frowning slightly. "Did the poor boy's family know?"

"No, and his father's still denying," Xander said quietly. "We know it wasn't him but gay bashers are up with child molesters for me. They deserve to die." She nodded at that. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, love. Come to my act?"

He grinned. "I caught you a few nights back. Weren't you at the Diamond Collar?" She blushed and nodded. "But I liked it so I'll gladly catch your next one." She giggled and swatted at him. "Have a good rest, dear, and happy eighteenth." She let them out, smiling and happier. He looked at Eric. "That gives us another witness."

"It does and you need help?"

"Yeah, I have a really strong gag reflex." He shrugged and got in to drive once Eric had bagged the tape. "Should I distract what's-his-name, the chatty one?"

"Please. I don't want to deal with him doing this."

"Sure." Xander drove them back and had only walked in when he heard someone starting on the 'gay case' as it was called. He glared at the officer in question, making him shut up. But he continued up to the lab behind Eric. "I hate assholes."

"Being gay, isn't that a problem?"

"Not that way. Did you hear the two in the lobby?"

"Yup. It happens each time we get a high profile case like this one. There's always assholes in any organization like the military and most police departments. Remember, half of them are in denial."

"Yeah, but I don't know anyone who would have them," Xander said as they got off the elevator, "and I know some people with some pretty loose tastes." Eric choked at that. "I do." He smiled at Horatio when they ran into him. "We have a possible tape Eric's going to do, he promised personally, and a possible witness to find later tonight."

"Excellent. Do not let them get to you," he said quietly. "That's what they want."

"They're about to get my size elevens up their ass. I don't put up with gay jokes or racial jokes around me. Most of the guys in the building remember when I slapped one for that problem." They shared a look. "They come, I'm dealing and then calling. Those were dad's rules."

"Call first and then deal with it," Horatio ordered.

"If possible," Xander agreed.

"Thank you, Xander." He walked off, going to help Eric. He smiled. "Mistress Kitten was up already?"

"Xander woke her up." He looked at him. "He chatted with them."

"They probably appreciated it, Eric. It let them know he was one of them and on their side."

"Oh, he is. He petted her Lynx boa." He shook his head and fast forwarded to print off an image of the watcher and then copied the pertinent parts of the tape. Then he sealed the original again and put it into his case. "I said I'd give it back."

"That's fine. It's a reassurance to them. Did you let them know they could call us?"

"We both did, H," he said, looking at him again. "What happened?"

"Megan disregarded one and a few other officers have been known to disrespect them."

"We're not like that and I did make the distinction of the lab being different. I told one of them that you'd skin us."

"I will," he agreed with a small grin. "I'll have fun doing it, Eric."

"I wouldn't anyway." He shrugged and went back over the video footage. "I kicked Cooper out."

"He's probably taking an early lunch. Let me know what you come up with. Like Speed, I don't like the volume of the problems this one is drawing."

Xander came in with a folder. "There might be a reason for that." He held up a file, letting Eric compare the photos. "I took the club's footage of him coming in and did a search through the DMV. It's still running but there's something odd about him and the trace on the body was found to be gun oil." He handed it over. "With pool chalk."

"Crap," Eric muttered. "Why not shoot him if he had a gun?"

"Not humiliating enough, Eric. Gay bashers do it because they're afraid of what the gay person is to them, what they make him feel like. Usually they leave them living so they learn better and don't taunt them again by being gay. This time, he probably set out to kill him because the feelings were stronger. He wanted him badly and he couldn't accept it so he killed what he desired." He slammed the door shut when he heard footsteps. It was knocked on. "No."

"It's my lab, guys," Cooper complained, sticking his head in. "Should I duck out for a longer time?"

"Yeah," Eric told him. "It's private footage and I promised the owner I'd do it personally." That got a sigh and a nod. The AV tech left. Xander closed the door again. "Were you bashed?"

"Eric, I'm not even mugged," Xander said dryly. "Except for one guy in a club, I've never been mugged. Not even during Carnivale a few years ago." Horatio gave him an interested look. "Senior year. Dad said I had to take someone so Tony, Abby, and I all went. It was a great time, even with the spook that wanted me to work with him." He looked at Eric again. "If you were going to pick a target, who would you rather have?"

"Speed," he admitted. "He looks down while he walks. So, how was Canivale? I heard stories that it's wild."

"It's a two week party in the streets, Eric. The two main days are great, but it's spread out some. I so got laid. I came home so relaxed and loose I even grinned at Feebs." Horatio laughed at that. "I even cuddled Kate." He shrugged. "I had so much fun. Even more fun than Rome."

"You've been to Rome?"

"Training exercise. I had to go spot the other spooks." He shrugged. "I lost Tony twelve times, I got to see a bunch of tourist sites, and I ate a lot of great food. We spent six days there and it was wonderful. Even if Tony did invite himself along on Dad's orders. I even got an award for spotting more spooks than my boss. That two grand was very nice." Eric gave him an amused look. "It was. My car needed fixed. I had been run off the road by someone who wanted me as a hostage the day I left. It came in very handy to fix my car."

"I saw the cloud of greasy smoke this morning," Eric offered.

"Oh, I know. It's time to change. Badly." He looked at the screen again. "Run it back?" He watched. "Pause. Zoom in on the guy in the corner? The one with the dark hair." Eric did that. "Huh. Speaking of Feebss." He pulled out his phone and dialed. "Fornell, Harris. Yeah, the Son of Gibbs. No, I'm on internship in Miami and you were in a club where later as homicide happened. Did you take film? Okay, and if I can ask why you were there?" He groaned. "I doubt he is, Fornell. Sure. Please. Yeah, that homicide. No, I butted my way in since I'm openly gay and I hate gay bashers. Please. Thank you. Delko or me. Thank you." He hung up. "He was there watching this person," he said, pointing at one of the queens in the party. "They think she's got a boyfriend who's got ties back to a terrorist cell out of France."

"Interesting," Horatio said. "Did he tape anything?"

"A lot and it's digital. He'll be sending it to Eric."

"Great," Eric agreed. "The more the merrier. Also, we got a witness who Miss Kitten called a predator?"

"He's there to fuck the young and pretty boys so he can keep score, Eric. He's hunting cherries," Xander told him. "Like that kid in the purple and white flowered shirt."

Eric looked and just nodded at that. "How old is he?"

"Barely legal. They check ID's at Pink."

"Good. You sure he'll be there?" Xander ran the tape forward and nodded, pointing at him. "You're sure?"

"Yeah, I met him once or twice. We had the same taste once and he tried me once. He wasn't bad." Horatio frowned at that. "Sorry, boss, but only a handjob in the club. I needed the stress relief. It was like my third night in the city." He shrugged. "I'm twenty-two, Horatio. Of course I've had some meaningless sex. Though I don't really count handjobs or blows as sex but..." Eric covered his mouth. "Hey," he complained through it.

"More than we *ever* needed to know about your private life," Eric assured him. "TMI, Xander."

"Sorry." He ducked the hand. "Sorry, boss."

"Not a problem, Xander. It means I know you a bit better now. Which one would you have went after?" Xander pointed at one boy. "Slightly geeky?"

"Yeah, geeks need more love," he offered with a grin. "Plus I am a geek so it's a good thing and we can usually get along okay if we talk." That got a nod. "For dating?" He looked then pointed at one guy. "Him maybe? He's a bit outside my usual age range."

Eric looked at the picture then at him. "Really?"

"Really. Slightly older, not daddy older."

"I'll set you up with someone." He and Horatio shared a look behind Xander's back, getting a smile from the boss. "Okay, so we're going to go over what we can and then I'll deliver it back. We'll find that guy tonight."

"If he's not there, he's at the Diamond Collar or he's at Roughhouse. He wouldn't go somewhere like Tangy or Crass. Sorry, Craig's. It's tacky." He sighed. "If he's really wanting to go lower, he'll be down by the mall downtown. There's a small club down there but they're mostly barely legal guys. Shouldn't be too hard to find him."

"Good to know," Eric agreed. "Usually I don't have to hunt for clubs or people in the clubs. The last few Speed's had and Calleigh."

"That's because you could compromise things by knowing some of the witnesses, Eric."

"Speed clubs!"

"Yes, but you do it much more often," Horatio offered, giving him a look. Eric just grinned. "You two both club much too much. Settle in and read a good book." He walked out, closing the lab door behind himself. He ran into Speed. "They've found some leads."

"Good. One of the guys on patrol just pointed out Xander's gay to some of the other guys to try to make them quit cracking gay jokes. Reminded them that Xander had smacked the hell out of the one guy who made racial jokes around one of the ME interns."

"He can protect himself and I ordered him to call first, Speed."

"Yeah, but this isn't going to be pleasant."

"He can handle it. He's handled people who wanted to take him hostage to use against his father. He can handle this." Speed nodded, leaving it in his hands.

***

Horatio woke up when his phone rang a few nights later. He heard the panting and knew. "Xander?" He listened. "Stay there. Have you called anyone?" He nodded. "That's fine." His chest tightened. "I've got your back. Wait for me. No matter what the patrol officers say, you wait for me." He hung up and put back on clothes, hurrying out to help his boy. He found him cuffed and a few bodies being taken care of by the night shift. He looked at him. "What happened?"

"Van. Jumped out. Attacked. Defended myself. Called for help when I could," Xander said simply, nodding at the bodies. "They had weapons."

Horatio looked then at the night shift crew. "I am being kept informed."

"Yes, Lieutenant," one of them agreed. He looked at Xander. "No normal person can do this."

"Classified."

"Excuse me?" one of the officers asked.

Xander looked at him. "My father's a Fed."

"Oh." He considered that. "They had weapons?"

"They had guns. One pulled a gun. One had a bat. See, bat," he said, pointing his foot at it. "I was out for a walk." He looked down at himself. "See, no weapons." He looked at him again. "My dad's also a Marine."

"So, you're lethal?"

"If they had backed off, I wouldn't have touched them," Xander vowed. "I had no intention of doing more than making them go away. They jumped out of the van and jumped me. I defended myself and backed off when I could. Hell, I could've killed them all and didn't!" He looked at Horatio. "Four went to the hospital."

"I'll handle it, Xander. Let me handle it." Xander nodded and relaxed again. He looked over as Stetler parked and came over. "They're officers?" Everyone nodded. "All of them?" That got another nod and Horatio glared at Rick. "You are not crucifying my man for protecting himself."

"We'll see. What happened?"

Xander nodded at the van. "I was out for a walk. They jumped out and came at me. I saw a gun. I saw the bat by your feet. I defended my ass."

"How?"

"Self defense classes one summer and with my father," he said honestly.

Rick looked at him. "That's not normal self defense, Harris."

"I'm also a black belt in Tai Kwon Do."

"Interesting. Doesn't explain the snapped neck."

Xander sighed and looked at Horatio. "Call Dad?" Horatio stepped off to do that. "There's some extra training," he admitted. "And you still don't have a high enough rating. I'm getting it cleared. I have to get it cleared." Rick looked unamused. Horatio hung up and nodded. "May we step aside, Officer?" That got a nod. He walked him over to where Horatio was. "My father is Leroy Jethro Gibbs, head of DC's alpha NCIS team." Rick blinked at that. "Because of that and my experience in my former town, I was chosen for some special training out of Langley," he said quietly. "That included advanced self defense. The guy with the broken neck, I kicked it that way," he admitted. "He had the gun. I took it from him and he still kept coming. If he had backed off, I would have left it there. I had no desire or want to kill anyone or to maim anyone. I didn't want to do more than protect myself and drive them off."

"You're not sick yet?" Rick asked.

"I've seen death, Stetler. I'm from near LA. I've seen death for a lot of years. Right now, I'm disassociated. This is my first kill." That got a nod from Horatio. "I had no desire to hurt them. They jumped me and wouldn't back off when the first one went down. He's at the hospital. They saw him go down and came back as a group instead of individual attackers. I defended myself. That's all I did."

"All right. We're going to take you back to the station."

"Can the cuffs go? My hand's swelling. I broke my wrist. I'm not going to run and Horatio can go with me or you can."

"I will be. I can have the cuffs removed." He snapped his fingers and the officer came over. "Remove the cuffs and check his wrists." The officer grimaced but did that and Xander yelped so he looked. "That is broken."

"I know. The bat did it when I blocked a blow too far down." He held his wrist. "I'll cooperate. I wouldn't have kept going if they didn't keep coming. The guy with the gun, he had it cocked when I reacted."

"We'll see. Caine, by my car. You can follow us back." Horatio nodded, walking him over there. "What did you see?"

"I got here when the ambulances were about a block away. I don't know who called them. His phone doesn't keep a call log." He handed over that bag. "I saw him sitting on the ground, holding his hands and eyes squeezed shut." He looked at the kid then at him. "No way is he normal."

"His father's a Fed and got him special defense lessons to protect him. I know his father's reputation and he was probably snatched a few times," he said, covering slightly. Because he did not want a visit by the men in very dark suits in the middle of the night. That got a grimace from the officer. "Did we find a gun?"

"I don't know, sir. I called CSI and stayed out of the way once the paramedics had loaded four of them. CSI got here just before they walked off and heard where they were, then the ambulance headed with them. They weren't in good shape either." He looked at the kid, then the bodies. "Did he have to kill them?"

"He said they wouldn't quit coming. He also said this is his first kill."

"Interesting." He shuddered. "Maybe his daddy will be proud."

"Not his father. His father will rip the department a new one for his son being attacked by other officers for being gay." The guy gaped. "Harris is a CSI trainee. He's their gay intern. He was on the gay bashing case."

"They found out one officer's brother was the killer," Horatio offered. "They arrested him earlier tonight and Xander was off for a walk to clear his head."

"Don't sneak up on us," Stetler demanded.

"Sorry," he said, not meaning it. He looked at the officer. "Do we know the other one's names? He wanted to make sure they'd live."

"We do. I'll get you a report as soon as we get back, Lieutenant."

"Thank you." He looked at Rick, writing out a name. "His brother was arrested."

Rick walked over there and talked to one of the CSI, getting a point. He came back nodding. "Yeah, he's the one with the broken neck."

"Which means he had a gun on him," Horatio reminded him. He went back to Xander's side, letting him cry on him for now.

"This is so fucked," Rick complained. "Report to me immediately," he called. "If not sooner." That got a nod. He headed for his car. "In." Xander walked around and got in. Horatio went to get in his hummer. "We're going back to the station."

"Can I have an ice pack?"

"You can." He pulled away. "Truth, kid."

"About?"

"Your training."

"They want me back," he said bitterly. "I'd never work for the CIA but they used me to see what and how best to train some future agents. I have this training, some weapons, some explosives, some computers and hacking, and I learned how to build electronic things. Plus some field medicine. They'll live?"

"I'll be checking. You know you're in deep?"

"If they had stopped," he said quietly. "Gods, this is worse than Ari."

"Who?"

"Guy who shot one of Dad's team. He came after all us. I wanted to kill him for shooting Kate. I so wanted to kill him," he said quietly, putting his head back and closing his eyes. "These guys, I just wanted to back off. I had nothing to do with that. I don't even know why they did it."

"One of them was the brother of the man you arrested." Xander struggled with the door so he pulled over and let him get sick beside the car. "We're going to be talking. You will be on suspension until this is figured out or you are arrested."

"Agreed," he said once his mouth was cleared. "I expect nothing preferential and nothing different than anyone else. The same as I didn't in DC."

"Good. I don't play those games."

"That's why I came to Miami." He got back in and buckled up again. "Sorry. Shock."

"I've been there." He went on. He hated this kid. He really hated this kid. The fact that his phone had two voicemails from DC didn't make him like him any further. He let him ice his wrist and talk to Horatio while he waited on information. One he did call back. "You have information on his training?" he asked bluntly when she answered. She told him what she knew. "He said this is his first kill?" He nodded. "How violent is the boy?" He made mental notes. "Thank you." He hung up and looked over as one of the CSI came up to him. "Preliminary?"

"Autopsies are in process. I personally pulled one of the ME's who's not Woods." She looked at the kid. "He had a promising career."

"He said they wouldn't quit."

"We still wouldn't work with him." She looked at him again. "He killed three cops, Stetler. No cop will ever work with him."

"Then maybe he'll go Fed." He read it over. "The ones in the hospital?"

"Living. Bruised heavily. He disarmed and knocked them out by one's statement, then they both clammed up. One came up with the idea that he had been hunting them."

"So they just happened to be wearing all back and together with weapons on a street none of them live on?" She nodded. "Which side are you believing?"

"His but I still won't work with him." She walked off again. "I'll let you know."

"Thank you." He walked in there and sat down across from the kid. "Where do you live?"

"Hasbert. I was a few blocks from home. I was clearing my head after the gay bashing case," he said quietly. "The same as I do after abuse cases. I could've went to the club. I probably should have."

"Probably," he agreed. He stared into his eyes. "I've heard more on your training." Xander shrugged. "They said you're considered violent."

Xander snorted. "No I'm not. Nowhere in my dossier is a violence warning." He pulled out Horatio's phone and made a call. "Director, it's Xander. Yeah, you heard right. Then someone there told them...." He grimaced. "That fucking bitch." Horatio moaned. "Can you please give the IAB guy, Stetler, an accurate report? By fax is fine. Do you know the fax number?" He nodded. "Thank you." He hung up. "There'll be an accurate report from someone who doesn't hate me and want me out of the way faxed down within an hour if he has his way." He handed the phone back and leaned back again. "If he doesn't, my father will."

"You're going to rely on your contacts now?"

"Only for information to counter the BS you've been given. Let me guess, she sounded nice. She had a slightly deeper voice, it deepens on the phone. If she gave you her name it was probably Beth or Tiffany. Her actual name is Tiffany. I trained with her. The people who trained me want me back and she's one of their favorite ways of trying to get me back, by letting her do things like that." He looked at Horatio. "Did you get that call?"

"Speed did." He looked at Rick. "She told him he was violently unable to get along with others. That he was going to destroy the lab's personnel, hinted that he was a serial killer who got into our good graces and then we'd be killed."

"I see." He looked at the boy again. "Why?"

"Jealousy. I bested her scores in everything but bombs."

"As in disarming?"

"That too," Xander agreed. "I can also make a mean pipe or plastic explosive device. That was part of learning how to disarm."

"I see. The ATF agent...."

"Wanted me for that reason."

"Uh-huh." He made a note of that and a small stack of papers were walked in, half turned one way and half the other. "What's this?"

"They came in one right after the other," the secretary said. "I just collated by source and handed it over."

"Thank you." She walked off. He read through them. "You know how to do more than build."

"I do, but you didn't need to know that."

"True." He continued to read. Then he went to the second one. "Interesting. What was this?" he asked, putting a sheet from his disciplinary file in front of him.

He looked. "That was someone who tried to kill me in my sleep for being gay and making him have feelings again." He pushed it back. "His name's Patrick. He's one of their top interrogation people. We're closer now that he's healed from his cult-like family. I've backed him up in the past when he went in to arrest someone for questioning because he needed me to. He's also watched my back when I got back at the stupid stalker who had my dog. I kicked his ass and put him on the courthouse steps," he said honestly. "Earlier in the day he had tried to shoot Tony, one of my father's team, as well. He was a danger and I thought a broken nose, two black eyes, and some general soreness proved to him that he was not going to do it again. He didn't. He got help."

"What help could you use?"

"Right now, I could use a drink," Xander said honestly. He took the forms and put something in front of him, letting him see it. "That was two and a half years of my life before my father had me and I had drunk parents before then, Stetler. That comes from earlier. Pre-training."

"Do you combine them?" he asked blandly, looking at him. "This wasn't your first kill."

"It was. Things that go woosh and tinkle aren't human."

"I see." He looked at him. "They knew this?"

"They recruited me because of that," he told him. "I haven't hunted in years. When I moved to DC with my father, I fell back to a defense position. Unless they attacked me, I didn't do anything. The occasional brawl with someone who wanted to hurt my family is something completely different."

"All right. Let's move onto other things." He glanced at Horatio.

"I knew. His father was very honest once I cleared the security check and he saw that Xander looked at me like a mentor. I can honestly say that Xander hasn't hunted to my knowledge since he got down here."

"Interrupted a feeding but no," Xander agreed. "No hunting. Not in the last year, maybe fourteen months." He shrugged. "The only ones who usually bother me are the spooks who want me back and them I usually escape or avoid."

"Usually?"

"One I had to kick in the nuts to make him let me go."

"Oh." He went back through the disciplinary file. "One shooting review?"

"After Ari. They thought I should have killed him. I hesitated. A lot. Enough for my father to get there and Tony to talk me down." He swallowed. "Then later, when we got him again because someone in Langley helped him escape custody, I threatened him if he ever came after my family again. He got the point." He shrugged. "Last I knew he was still in Israel in a mental facility for the dangerously insane."

"Should you be in one?"

"No. I had a bad childhood," Xander said dryly, looking at him. "Big difference from his upbringing and training as an assassin."

"Assassin?"

"Yeah, who wanted to kill my father. He shot Kate in the throat. Me sneaking up on him threw his aim. He had been going for a headshot. He also tried to get me when I was alone a few days later when he escaped. He came up to the car Dad, Tony, and I were in after a Jimmy Buffet concert I had been at to taunt us that he was out. He shot Ducky's assistant and my dad to get away the first time I ran into him." He cracked his neck, then sighed. "Sorry, headache. Bad habit."

"I'd have a headache too. How many hits did they land?"

"Ten, twelve. Something like that. They went for overpowering numbers instead of cohesive unity. If they had backed off, I would have stopped and just called the ambulance for them. I might not even have pressed charges if they dropped their shit. I know I just made everything a lot harder on the other gay cops by protecting myself. Then again, if I hadn't, Horatio would've been called to a new body in the morning. There was no way they were going to leave me living. One of them joked that he'd be draping my intestines over me prettily like the lace I probably wore to the clubs to get fucked."

"Xander," Horatio said quietly.

"Verbatim."

"You're trained to remember things during a fight?"

"Hell yes. Aren't you?"

"Yes, but I don't achieve it."

"They got me when I was younger. I started there when I was sixteen, just before my seventeenth birthday, Stetler. Everything's easier when you're younger."

"Point." He stood up. "I'm going to check on the investigation."

"Go for it. I'll be here." He looked at Horatio. "You can head home."

"I'm here for all my people, Xander." Xander nodded, relaxing again. "Don't sleep. It'll look bad."

"I'm not." He leaned forward and rested his head on the ice pack over his wrist. "I have a headache."

"Did one hit you in the head?" Xander nodded. "Do you need someone to look at you?"

"No. I hate being fussed over."

"We need to document the wounds anyway," Horatio offered.

"Subdermal imaging still takes a few hours to appear. I can live that long, Horatio. Thanks anyway."

"That's fine. Let me get you something from my desk? Some tylenol?"

"Please." Horatio got up and went to get that, bringing back a scene kit to start collecting evidence. The boy had plenty on him. Stetler came back while he was doing that. "Would you please get him his sweats out of his locker so we can bag these?"

"Fine. That's a reasonable thing. Does he need more medical?"

"It'll take another few hours for deep tissue bruising to start. He said he can wait but he was hit in the head."

"I'm fine. I'm not concussed. I've hit many walls with my head in the past," Xander said bitterly. He looked at Rick. "They're okay?"

"They'll be fine with some rehab for the broken leg one guy has and some rest for the kick in the head you gave the other guy."

"Um, no, I didn't. He had a low pain tolerance. I cracked a rib and he went down. Unless he got kicked during the rest of the fight. I don't remember kicking him."

"We'll see if we can tell," Horatio offered. "Rick." Stetler walked off to get him the requested clothes. "Less open," he said quietly.

"Sorry but if I hide anything it'll seem worse. He already hates me because my father's a Fed and I'm trained."

"He does," he agreed. "For now, calm down." Xander nodded and forced himself to relax. "When do you think your father will be down?"

"I don't know. If he's in the middle of a case, he could send Tony or Kate. He sends Tony after me a lot." Horatio cracked a smile at that. "Then again, his boss is on special assignment. The new director was trained the same way but they don't call her into service unless it's something special. I'm hoping one of them is already on a plane." Someone came in and he looked at her. "Yes?"

"There is no way you did that without a weapon."

"My father's a Marine and a Fed. I got advanced self defense since people wanted to take me and from him," he said quietly. "Plus Tai Kwon Do club at school. I'm a black belt."

"That was not on your form."

"I didn't think it'd matter and I chose the SCA stuff to fill in the last spot instead. I figured it wouldn't come up." He shrugged then winced and hissed. "It was back in high school."

She sneered. "You know none of us will ever work with him again."

"Yes, my team will," Horatio assured her, glaring at her. She backed down. "He defended himself. They had weapons and he didn't." She stomped off. "Sorry."

"Thank you for the vote of confidence. She may be right though. Most cops won't want to work with me."

"Then we'll consider your internship over once you're cleared and we'll talk again next spring if I have room," he said quietly. Rick came back with a camera. "It's too early for that."

"I need ones of his wrist." Xander moved the ice pack and let him see it. "That is a nice bruise." He took a few pictures. "By the way, your father's not coming."

Xander slumped some. "Ordered not to?" That got a nod. "I thought his boss might. I know he's still behind me." He looked at Horatio then back at him. "Now what?"

"Now, we wait for the bruising so we can take pictures and I wait on more information."

"Do I have to wait here or can I run home to take a shower?"

"No, you have to wait here." That got a nod and Xander put the ice pack back over his wrist and leaned forward again. "Headache?"

"Yeah."

"Who called 911?"

"I did."

"Your phone doesn't say so."

"My phone doesn't keep a call log. It's got classified numbers in it."

"I see. So it's a security precaution?" Xander nodded. "I'll be getting the tape."

"Go for it," he said blandly. "My phone was staticky." Stetler walked back out and he looked at him. "You interrogate so much smoother."

"I wait for facts and then do it. He's doing this now because this looks very bad." Xander nodded that he knew that. "Are you sure you can handle this? Someone should go take statements from the officers."

"I'm sure he's thought of that."

"I meant someone good."

"Send Speed?"

"I can do that." He called him and moved over to the window. "Xander was attacked by some officers," he said when the phone was answered. "Three of them are dead. Four are in the hospital." He smiled. "Thank you." He hung up. "He'll head over." Rick came back. "I'm sending Speed to take their statements."

"We've already done that. They claimed Xander jumped them."

"No, Rick, I meant their real statements," Horatio noted plainly. "Ones where they aren't lying to get out of going to jail for assault and battery with a deadly weapon."

Rick swallowed. "That's against protocol."

"No one else here will take a real statement and you know Speed won't manufacture evidence."

"No I don't."

Xander looked up at him. "If he loved me like his own son he wouldn't do it. He won't do it to fix his own speeding tickets. He won't do it for me."

"Fine. We'll see what happens. He's to tape it."

"Of course." Horatio called him back. "Speed, Rick wants tape of the interviews. We're here. Thank you." He hung up. "That's fine. He's heading down to his bike now." He looked at Xander. "Let's see what the camera can pull up." Xander sat up and took off his shirt again, letting him take pictures of his chest and face. The shirt was bagged and he put on a clean one from his locker. Then he looked at the window, turning around modestly to let Horatio take pictures of his legs then putting on the sweats so his pants could be bagged. His shoes and socks were bagged too and he curled up in the chair since the floor was cold. Horatio taped down the bag and put it aside.

"Good. Now let's go over this again. If we have to, we can take more pictures," Rick noted, sitting down again. "You were where?"

"Someone's front yard getting around a puddle when they pulled in. The sidewalk was full of water."

***

Xander came off the plane at home four days later looking exhausted. He fell into his father's arms. "I'm sorry, dad."

"I'm not, son. You protected yourself. It was their own fault." He pushed him back to look at him. "Come on, let's head home."

"Who ordered you not to come?"

"Guess." Xander glared at someone nearby and he nodded. "Yeah, them. It's fixed."

"Thank you." Xander went to get his bag. "I'm not sure I can go back there next year."

"The confessed and one did it on camera," he reminded him.

"Dad, I still had to kill him to protect myself," he said quietly, stopping him to look at him. "If you were them, would you want to work with me?"

"Maybe. We'll see how it falls. Come on, I've got your bed made." Xander nodded and headed with him. "It'll be okay."

"No it won't be. If this gets around I won't be able to work anywhere. I should change my major," he said miserably. His father gave him a hug. "Thanks, but it's not helping."

"I know, son. I felt the same way after my first one."

"Stetler tried to say my violent past meant I slipped too easily."

"I heard that the FBI Profiler Corps had been called. I got his report. He cleared you on that too."

"Wonderful. So I'm clear but I don't have a career to go to. Just fucking grand." He grabbed his two bags and followed his father out to the car, tipping his seat back. "I need a nap."

"Do we need to have your wrist re-x-rayed?"

"No, the splint is fine. I haven't taken it off." He wiggled his fingers. "My gun hand too."

"We'll work it out, son. Would you like company tonight? Everyone wanted to come over."

"No. I want to sleep tonight. If the bitch is there, can I bean her with my splint?"

"I've already slapped her, son." He headed for home, going a bit slower this time so his son could fall asleep for now. He did look exhausted. He had gotten the final reports and personal updates from Horatio every few hours. Without having to nag for them. Caine appreciated his son. He had said as much. It had been good for him, even if this did suck. He finally made it home and found Abby there, scowling at her.

She snuck over and opened the door but Xander tensed. "Shh, it's just me. I'm helping you up to bed, Xander." He nodded and let her get one of the bags, trudging that way. She helped him into bed and tucked him in, then kissed him on the forehead. "I'm going to be downstairs if you need anything."

"My dog?"

"He's on the line, I'll let him in." She went to do that. "Blackie?" He came running to her. "The Xander boy is home." She let him go and he sniffed, then took off running to cuddle his daddy. She looked at Gibbs. "He's depressed."

"I would be too. Two cops twisted evidence to try to convict him for it. Three people died because they decided to attack him. I'd be depressed an angry too." He looked around. "No DiNozzo?"

"He's getting food and making a few calls. He'll be here by the time he wakes up." Gibbs nodded at that. "Will he be okay?"

"I don't know. He thinks his career is over with and no cop would work with him."

"Some probably won't want to. It sounded like the group he worked with down there liked him though and they backed him up fully. Some of the other shift did, that's how we caught the ones making evidence fit."

"True." He got a beer out and took a drink. He heard Xander shifting. "Go to sleep, son."

"Can't."

Gibbs walked up there and sat down behind him, letting his son cuddle him and the dog since the dog crawled into his lap to get more attention. "You're not the reason I'm up here," he told him, but he did scratch his ears a few times. "I'm proud you survived, son." Xander looked up at him. "After my first kill, I spent days shaking, puking, and then drinking heavily."

"I did drink when I finally got home. I had a bottle delivered so I didn't have to go back outside. Speed called last night to remind me to sober up enough so Eric could drive me to the airport today but I wasn't drunk by the time he called." He took the beer to have a drink then handed it back. "It'd be so easy to climb in and not come out."

"It is. Plenty of people have." He stroked over his hair. "Sleep. By the time you get up, DiNozzo while have finished the grocery shopping and we'll eat dinner." His son nodded and closed his eyes again, clutching the dog to him. Gibbs went back to petting the son, and occasionally the dog whenever he got begging looks, but mostly his son. "I would've been down there if they hadn't stuck us in a locked room with guards," he said quietly. "I nearly killed them for trying to keep me up here." He heard the door shut and looked up, seeing Tony coming up the stairs a few minutes later. "The shopping go okay?"

"Yeah, fine. I got him some new ice cream and a new bottle of liquor just in case." He came in and sat behind Xander, and he finished relaxing. "Why?" he asked.

"I don't know. They wouldn't tell me when I had my gun in their face," Gibbs admitted. "Fornell might know."

"I asked him. He doesn't or claims he doesn't. Morrow does. He called to say that it was not his idea. That the person who had decided to keep you up here is now banished to Antarctica." Gibbs snorted. "Yeah, I told him it wouldn't make him safe. He said the guy's committing suicide later." He shrugged. "Sounded like a good idea to me. Then again, I think the Director should as well."

"She'll get hers," he promised.

"In many ways," Tony agreed. They shared a look. They'd get together with the others later to see how they were going to torture their director for the boy. "How was he?"

"Depressed. Worried he's tanked his career."

"Caine said he'd be coming back."

"I'm not sure that's a good thing for him."

"I am," Tony said firmly. "Horatio supported him. He was there through most of the day and a quarter of questioning. He kept the press from following him home by having him snuck out in one of the hummers. He values Xander like we do."

Gibbs nodded. "Maybe." He finished the beer and tossed out the can, getting a bark from the dog. "What? It's in the trash can." The dog wiggled over and dug in there, finding his bone. "Oh, you didn't want beer on your rawhide. That's fine. Get back up here, dog." It hopped up to chew on it while the daddy held him. "You were the best gift I ever gave him, dog."

"He is," Tony agreed quietly, stroking over Xander's hair. He got an inquisitive grunt. "Just me, Xander." That got a sigh and a nod, and the boy went back to sleep. "Good boy." He looked at the dog then at the father. "You've done good. A less strong person might've already ended it all," he said quietly.

"I know. That's why he's staying here instead of his apartment for the next few weeks."

"I'll be fine," Xander mumbled. "I'm not like that."

"Tough, son."

"Yes, dad." He groaned and looked at Tony. "You were petting me."

"I was. I was trying to help you sleep."

"You could use the sleep, son. You look exhausted."

Xander looked at him. "Duh, dad."

"I know. Want to see what Abby's done to the kitchen?"

"No. Food's not high on my list at the moment." He got up and headed to the bathroom, his dog abandoning his wet, nasty chewtoy on his father's stomach to follow him.

Gibbs plucked it off and dropped it onto the floor. "Better that than your shoes or the boat," Tony offered. Gibbs shook his head but got up to check on his poor kitchen. Abby could create quite a mess when she was cooking in frustration. He found it spotless and something cooking. "Kate?" he called.

"Yes, it was me. I cleaned up Abby's bread mess." She came in off the back porch. "He up?"

"For a bit." Xander came down the stairs holding his dog with Tony behind him. "See?"

"Xander." She hugged him. "Are you all right?" He shook his head. "We'll handle it, Xander. It'll be okay. We'll even help you get revenge on the director and others."

"It was another move of theirs to get me back," he said bitterly. "I can go blow them up myself." He sat down across from Abby, letting her hug him. "I'm fine. My wrist doesn't even hurt."

"You still needed the hug." She shifted over to cuddle him. "Gibbs, Kate won't let me cook."

"That's because you make a mess," Tony reminded her, sitting down. He looked at his protege and buddy. "You have six weeks until school starts again." Xander nodded at that. "Why don't you take a week off and do some traveling? Get out of the states and away from things."

"Going where?" he asked, looking at him.

"London? There's some nice specials there right now." Xander nodded. "Plus a good nightlife and plenty of old places for you to go and stare at."

"Including the ancient penis carved on the hill," Abby reminded him. "All the old Druid stuff."

Xander let a small smile out. "I might." He snuggled in again. "You're nearly as good as a boy to cuddle, Abby."

She looked at him. "I know how you meant that but thanks, Xander." She smacked him on the back of the head.

"At least we know you're not dangerous since he's not going to date you," Kate teased.

"I'm very dangerous," she protested, kicking at her. "Meany."

"Only to some things, like my kitchen," Gibbs told her, looking at his son. "London's a pretty city," he offered quietly. Xander nodded. "It'll do you good to go forget for a few days and worry about not being mugged over there."

"No one mugs me. Except that vampire in the club that once."

"Not what I wanted to know, son," Gibbs admitted.

"He was more taunting, dad. Buffy sleeps with vampires, not me."

"Another fact I didn't want to know," he said dryly. "McGee not back yet?"

"Not yet, boss," Tony reported.

"His flight's coming in at nine tonight," Kate reminded him. "They locked us in a room and sent him off to go do computer stuff with an armed guard."

"More people I get to kick the ass of," Xander said semi-happily. They all smiled at that. It would be fun to watch him take apart those who had done this and kept them from going to help him.

***

Year Three of college:

Xander hung up the phone and looked at his father. "That was Horatio." His father looked out from the apartment kitchen. "He wanted me to come back. He said no one's going to hold it against me."

"I told you so."

"Dad...."

"Xander, they used it to clean out the department. There were a lot of bad people who got arrested thanks to that. Even if they hated you they wouldn't come near you."

"That doesn't mean they'll help me if I get into a firefight either."

"You'd better not." He flipped the steak over. "It's nearly done, set the table?" Xander nodded and went into his kitchen to find his new plates. His father had agreed he could move off campus when his latest romance had blown up in his face. He now knew not to date a teacher, even if he wasn't yours. He settled into his seat while his father brought the food out. "So, what're your plans for this summer if you don't go?"

"I was thinking I'd try Paris? Or maybe Cancun again?"

"You can do Cancun on spring break, like everyone else, son." He handed over his son's steak and then put his own onto his plate, getting up to get knives. "When is Tony coming over?"

"Later. He had a dinner date." He dug into his steak and ate a bite, chewing slowly. "You'll have to show me how to do this some day."

"I can do that." He looked at him. "I'm proud you managed to keep your grades up last semester when he tried to get you expelled."

"Me too." He shook his head. "Do you really think I should?"

"I really think you should," he agreed. "The same as I think you should ask about permanent placements after you graduate next year." He ate another bite. His son pouted. "We won't have an opening unless someone on the team dies and I'm not ready to retire yet."

"Point." He shrugged. "Maybe it'll be an easy summer?"

"Maybe. Then you can do Paris." Xander smiled at that. "Plus, DiNozzo's going to be moving this summer. His building's up for sale. Maybe he'll sublet off you while you're down there."

"He could if he'd watch the dog."

"I can watch the dog."

"Dad, you forgot to feed him while we moved me."

"Point. Fine, he can watch the dog part of the time." Xander smiled at that. "Eat more. You've lost some weight."

"That was that killer flu I got."

"I remember. You puked on me twice." He ate another bite and Xander blushed but did the same. "Potatoes?" That bowl was handed over and they decided to eat the other stuff they had cooked too. "How is this semester going to look?"

"Eighteen hours, including physics," he complained. "I'm tempted to call Speed and ask if he can explain stuff to me."

"You can only ask. It might help." Xander nodded and dug into his corn. "Anything else?"

"No. No boyfriend. A few playmates but no new boyfriend." He sighed and ate another bite. "How hard is it to find a real boyfriend?"

"It can be very hard."

"You found three wives."

"I was looking for different things. It's not hard to find the wrong sort, son."

"Oh, I know. The leather daddy I almost kinda dated proved that."

"Was he the one who spanked you so bad you got blisters?"

"Yup."

"You okay now?"

"Yup. I can sit again. He was out that next day and I can sit again." He ate another bite and got up when someone knocked, letting Tony in. "Your date tank early?"

"Had to run home to save her babysitter from her two-year-old."

"They're cute at that age."

"They may be, but I'm not sure I could handle kids." He walked in and sat down in the spare chair. The table only had three chairs to save space. The other side was tucked against a wall. He looked around. "This looks really nice, Xander. Good job decorating. Most guys your age decorate in Budweiser mirrors and pictures of dogs playing poker."

Gibbs shrugged. "At his age, I had a tent." He looked at him. "You can eat. Plates are above the stove." He went to get one and dished up some of he veggies. Xander cut a third of his steak off and gave it to him with a smile. "We were talking about next summer."

"Horatio called me first to get his number," Tony admitted, looking at Xander. "Go. You need to get back on that horse. Working with us is different." Xander nodded and smiled, relaxing. "Good boy." He patted him. "Where's the dog?"

"Sleeping in the bedroom."

"Ah." He leaned back to look in there, smiling at the cuteness. "He likes your laundry."

"He likes how I smell." Tony settled in to eat. "Are you going to run away from my kids if I ever have any ?"

Tony looked at him. "If you ever have kids, I'm going to use them to get you back for making me go to all those damn raves." Xander beamed at that. "The same as I will show them every single blackmail picture I have of you. You'll be a good lesson in why you don't date women."

"With his luck, he'll draw the sweetest things after we've turned him gay," Xander teased. "Then what'll he do?"

"Be bi, like you are," Gibbs said practically. "It works for you."

"I do try," he said with a shit-eating grin. "I was thinking about coming back a week late and traveling," he told Tony. "Dad said I can hit Cancun again during the break. What do you think about Paris?"

"It's a beautiful city," Tony agreed. "You'll like it." Xander beamed. "You never did show me that last roll from London."

"No and for good reason, Tony. I'm not giving you any more blackmail for my future hellions than you already have."

Tony smirked. "Was he cute?"

"Very and a Lord." Gibbs choked at that. "Don't tell me you heard about that stupid duel?" His father nodded while he drank. "Ooops? Not my idea."

"Better not have been," he said when he had calmed his breathing down again.

Tony looked at him. "Let me guess, they were both growling like you were the bitch in heat and you told them to go fight it out, quipped about a duel?" Xander nodded. "I've seen girls do that over me before." Gibbs smacked him on the head. "Sorry, boss, but I have." He grinned at Xander. "What're you going to do with this place."

"Dad suggested you might sublet it while I'm gone if you had to move this summer because your building was being sold." He cut into his steak and ate a piece.

"I could do that and you do have some very nice electronics," Tony agreed, looking at the system he had helped Xander build. Then back at the boy. "If I have to, I'll consider it. How much is your rent?"

"Six hundred. All utilities included. It's a college student special." He grinned. "Including cable and internet. I've found some very nice and happy chat rooms recently."

"You need to date, son, not diddle in the dark," Gibbs said dryly.

"I haven't been. I can't read the monitor in the dark. It's not bright enough." His father moaned and got up to get some more water. "Sorry, dad."

"That's okay, son. Whenever DiNozzo's around your mind hits the gutter." He came back and had a glass for Tony too. "Would they let you do that?"

"Yeah, I already asked about the summers and they said I could continue to pay rent or sublet it to another student or someone for the summer. But if there was problems I was responsible and for getting them out when I came back."

"That's fair enough," Tony agreed. "Classes?"

"Physics again," he moaned. "I hate physics."

"It'll be fine," Tony assured him. "Call Speed to see if he'll help if you get stuck that badly again. What else?"

"My Econ mandatory. My last sociology. Two labs. And my last PE requirement for stress relief."

"Good. Sounds pretty well balanced," Gibbs offered. "Not too hard. Did you get your internship hours submitted?"

"Yup, which is why I won't have a last semester," he said proudly. "Those are usually all internship hours. Between all the time I spent at NCIS and down in Miami, I've got enough hours to donate." He looked at his father. "Can I still come in and help?"

"Of course. Sheppard is off that rant again." He smiled and his son grinned back. "We'll be fine, son. Don't forget to tell Horatio that you accept." Xander got up to do that before he forgot. He looked at Tony. "Storage shouldn't cost you that much for your furniture."

"No, not at all, and it'll mean I'll have the time to look for a place with more potential. My present one is tiny and a hole." Gibbs nodded. "I'm thinking a singles condo community." His boss looked amused. That told him all he wanted to know. Xander was babbling happily. "Let him eat, Xander."

"He said he's not. He's doing paperwork and I'm an enticing reason to quit for the night." He grinned and laughed. "Sure. Can I call Speed if I get stuck in physics this time?" He beamed. "Thanks, Horatio. Yeah. And on time even. Since I've got all my practical hours out of the way I can load up this semester and next semester to graduate on time and take it easy my last one with my two art electives and two forensic classes. Thanks." He hung up and bounced back. "He said I gave him a break so he's going to go home and eat. He said everything had been worked out and I'd be safe this year. Nothing was going to be said. He also said I could bug Speed all I wanted. He was being morose and grumpy again."

"Email him later," Tony suggested. "Warn him in advance."

"Bring the kilt this time," Gibbs offered. Xander giggled at that and kicked him under the table. "Eat." His son dug in again, eating even faster now. The two older men shared a look. Xander had been worried about that, it had shown over the last semester. That's probably why he had taken up with the Childhood Education teacher.

***

Frank Tripp, one of the detectives that worked with Horatio, paused when he saw the clunker pulling in. He smiled at the boy. "You haven't replaced that yet?"

"Dad hinted I'd get a new one for graduation so why bother? I can add more oil every few weeks and stuff so this clunker keeps running." He grinned and shook his hand. "Was Horatio right, it's going to be okay?" he asked quietly.

"It'll be fine. They used that to start a long discussion on sensitivity and how to respect the officers around you, and warned everyone that if they ever attacked another officer, he'd better be a bad guy with a badge." Xander relaxed and smiled. He looked the boy over. Jeans but not too tight. Nicer shirt. Shorter hair. "He's in the office, kid."

"Thanks, Frank. See you soon I'm sure." He walked inside and to the receptionist for the lab. "Hi, Intern Harris reporting for duty. Can you please tell the Lieutenant?"

"Of course," she said cheerfully, calling him. "Sir, there's an intern here reporting for duty?" She looked at him. "A day late?" she asked dryly.

"Car broke down in Georgia. It took a day to fix it. I called Eric."

She laughed. "Eric just now told him, sir. It'll be a few. He'll send someone down to get you." He smiled and nodded. She made a note in her log. She knew that name from somewhere. She looked the boy over, seeing how he was standing. That's when it clicked. She almost felt sorry for the boy. Things were better now but it'd be a rough summer for him.

Speed came off the elevator. "He said you were coming back." He looked Xander over. "Better than Eric today," he decided, nodding. "Let's go." Xander grinned and shook his hand, following him into the elevator. "How did physics turn out?"

"C, enough to pass."

"I had a few of those. You're still riding a three-something in GPA, right?" Xander nodded. "Then you're fine."

Xander looked at him and pouted some. "Dad said there's no room at NCIS until someone dies or he retires."

"Talk to the boss about that, Xander." They got off and he frowned, stopping him. "Kilt?"

"Kilt. Abby's idea." He beamed and snuck up behind Yelina to goose her, making her shriek. "Most women don't make that sort of noise on me," he teased, earning a hug. "Yes, it's me. I'm back. Horatio said so. He was very forceful and manly on me even."

She laughed. "Good. You need someone like that to make sure you behave this time and don't have too many candy bars for lunch." She smiled at Speed. "Horatio just went into Interrogation Two."

"Thanks. We can wait in the office." He walked Xander up there, looking at him. "She would've smacked anyone else."

"I know." He grinned. Then he squealed and pounced Alexx, making her smile and squeeze him. "I'm back."

"I can see that. It's about time. Haven't you replaced that car yet?"

"Dad hinted I might be getting one for graduation so why bother." He shrugged and smiled at Eric. "Hi."

"Hi, Xander." He patted him with a folder. "H will be done soon." He walked off smiling. He did bring some energy back into the lab on the bad days. "Calleigh, he's back!" he called when he walked past ballistics.

"Good, he can work with the new kid," she called, shoving someone out of her lab. "Go. Shoo!" He sighed but walked off, going to bug Speed. Speed just gave him a look and he scurried off.

Xander looked down at him. "Woose," he said dryly. "My dog scowls better than the one he gave him."

"Yup," Alexx said dryly. "Kilt?"

"Did Tony send down that picture?"

"Yup," she said, smirking at him. "You did look adorable." She pinched his cheek.

"All Abby's idea. It's still in my closet even." She walked off laughing. He turned and found Rick Stetler standing there. "Horatio invited me back."

"I still don't like that I can't prove you called for help."

"That's not my issue. I know I did and I don't need this shit. But the next time I get gay bashed, I'll call you first, okay?" The man growled and stomped off. "Thanks, dear." He waved and headed for interrogation two, giving Horatio a puppy eyed look through the window when he caught his eye. He saw him fight not to smile and winked, nodding back toward his office, getting a nod. So he headed back there. "He's breaking bad on someone and I have to find a motel to live in."

"You can have my couch," Eric offered.

"That would seriously crimp your dating for the next two days, Eric."

"Not like I bring them home," he noted dryly. "We go to her place or a motel. It's safer."

"Isn't that what backseats are for?" the new guy offered. They all glared at him and he scurried back to ballistics but she had locked him out. He knocked and she threw something at the door.

"That's the universal sign for 'go get me chocolate, probie'," Xander called. "Have fun." He went to do that with a huff. He shook his head. "New intern?" They all nodded. He rolled his eyes. "Can I have him?" Speed and Eric smirked and nodded. "Cool." He gave them his most insane look, turning around at the cough. "Hi, boss. Sorry about the car breaking down."

"It happens to the best of us, Xander. Where are you going to be staying?"

"I'm not sure yet. I have a few couch options until I can find a cheap motel." He shrugged. "I get the new probie, right?"

Horatio smiled. "Yes, Xander, you can help mold him as you were molded. Come on, let's get your ID and badge, then you can help someone with something." He walked him up there. "You can have my guest room for a few nights."

"That would get in the way of dating and I do have to catch up with someone," he said quietly. "It won't be more than a day. I'll check back into the same place as last time." That got a nod and Horatio pulled out the ID packet from his desk. Xander looked over everything and adjusted a few things, then signed them and handed them back.

"Your clearance got raised?"

"Yeah, I kinda got locked in a room I shouldn't have known about in the FBI building a few months back. For, like, twelve hours. They decided I probably read things so they upgraded me at Fornell's urging since he sent me down there. It let me help him on a case he'd been having problems with."

"Well played on his part. I'll have to remember that." He smiled. "Go help Calleigh. She's frustrated with the bullets she's got. They're magnetized." He nodded and bounced off, making Horatio shake his head. That boy was a breath of fresh air. Even when the new intern did scream and run off, babbling about them hugging in the labs.

"He's *gay* you idiot," Eric complained loudly. "I'm sure he's not having sex with her in ballistics." He walked that way. "When you're done, I could use some help."

"Mental?"

"Car."

"Okay." Xander got done hugging her and went to help her with the funny bullets.

***