Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Gibbs looked around at his team, plus Ducky and Abby, later that night. "He needs a great graduation present. I have no idea what to get him. With his scores and how he's turned his GPA around, plus all the hard work he's put into this, he deserves something special."

Tony looked at the others. "I have an idea but it'd take all of us." They all shrugged. "Gibbs, have you seen your son riding around on Craig's dirt bike?"

"My son's been doing what?"

"Yeah." He took out his phone and accessed the video files, handing it over when it started to play. Gibbs smiled at that. "He pets it now and then too. Plus he helps him maintain it. Not saying that Craig wants to sell his or anything but..."

"We could find a good used one and fix it up," McGee agreed.

"They're not very safe," Abby complained.

"You don't ride a bike to be safe, Abby," Gibbs said, handing the phone back. "How long has that been going on?"

"Two months. I doubt he'd want to use it during the winter but it would be a wonderful present, boss."

"It would. Anything less expensive?" No one said anything. "Kate, Abby?"

"I'd suggest letting him travel," Kate offered. "You're already letting him go to Carnivale with Tony and Abby."

"He's still begging for Cancun," McGee reminded her.

"It's looking more like something he's idealized," Tony told him. "It's a lot of very het people getting together."

"Xander is bi," Abby reminded them all. "I've seen him flirt with some women recently and one nearly blew him on the dance floor." Gibbs coughed at that. "Seriously, Gibbs." She checked her watch. "McGee. Concert?" He nodded and finished his soda, heading off after he had paid his share of the check. "What's this senior trip like?"

"Four days of cruising and then two days and three nights in Cancun, then four days of cruising back," he admitted, sipping his beer. "Just like they do their Spring Break trips."

"That would be fun and only two days in Cancun would probably be safe enough," Tony offered. "He'll be on a ship full of other teenagers most likely."

"That's probably the safest way they could do it with minimal chaperones," Gibbs agreed, taking another drink. "I still don't like the idea of Cancun." He ate a bite of his slice of pizza. "Do we think the bike?"

"I think if he's into them he'll adore it," Kate agreed. "He might not be able to use it everyday or while he's in training but I'm betting it'll be his main vehicle on his days off." Gibbs nodded at that. "Either that or save it as a graduation from his undergrad present." She sipped her soda. "Tony?"

"Either is acceptable." He shrugged. "That still leaves us without anything for now."

"An official internship while he's not in training or in school?" Abby suggested. "With pay? It'll teach him more about the working world."

"He's pretty good at that already," Gibbs reminded her, giving her a small smile. She nodded that was true. "What about electronics?"

"A new laptop. He could use one," Tony agreed. "Badly. He's had to fix his twice this semester alone, Gibbs."

"That's one present I could get behind," Kate agreed. "As long as Tony didn't preload it with porn."

"Porn is an individual taste, Kate, not like I know what he likes that way." He looked at Gibbs again. "He got us two adjoining rooms in Rio. That way we can keep an eye on him."

"I saw. That's good of him. What I wanted him to do." He took another sip. "What about redoing all the electronics in his room? His stereo's pitiful."

"He's had it since Sunnydale," Abby pointed out. "It's one of the first things he's bought with his own money."

"Point. So a gift certificate to upgrade it?" Tony nodded at that. "What about the dorm stuff?"

"Not the first semester. He's already a bit wild," Tony said quietly. "Let him get used to the college life. I'm going to talk to him about rushing frats and how they might not like him as much as he thinks. But there's also service organizations and major-related organizations that he should join."

"Agreeable," Gibbs decided. "So, second year into the dorms?" They nodded at that. "Redoing his room's electronics?"

"Would be a good investment for him," Tony agreed. "A new laptop from the group and then a gift certificate to update the rest? I know he's got an older TV he got from a thrift shop. It needs an adaptor to do digital cable, which he'll want some day."

"I'll let you take me out where you go and show me what he'll want so I can gauge amount," Gibbs decided. "Abby, look at laptop specs with McGee?"

"Sure," she agreed, smiling at Kate. "You can help make the final decision."

"Works for me," she decided. She put down a twenty. "It's time I head home too, guys. Good night."

"Night, Kate," Tony said, smiling as she walked off. "Boss, are we going to have problems with the new director?"

"Not on my end. He's right, that violates rule twelve." Abby smiled at that. "They told him he could only hint so he hinted that I wouldn't be making babies with her."

"Maybe he wants a sibling," Tony suggested with a small shrug.

"It has been a while since you dated, Gibbs, and he hated her," Abby agreed.

"He did. He's still calling her She Who Barks," he complained. "Weren't you supposed to break him of that?"

"Trust me, boss, he calls her many more creative names in private where you can't hear and yell." Gibbs smirked a bit at that. "Some that made me blush."

"I'll have to get him the next time I catch him out doing stuff he shouldn't."

"Did he tell you take some antacids?" Abby asked. He nodded. "Then that's tonight. Which means McGee's going to come home drunk."

"Yeah," Tony sighed. "Probably on margaritas." Gibbs gave him a look. "Most of the time you've got a pretty straight-laced kid, boss. But now and then he is going to push. He's finding his boundaries."

"Be honest, he's waiting for him to smack him down for something," Abby said bitterly. "He's safe and secure that you want him but he doesn't know where the boundaries are so he's pushing."

"I gave him the very simple house rules."

"Which are great," Abby agreed. "But you've never had to punish him for something and he's looking for the point where his leash quits having room and yanks." Gibbs sighed at that. "The grounding after Rome stopped that problem, did you notice?"

"He's deathly afraid of upsetting you, Gibbs," Tony agreed quietly. "He didn't work his ass off so I wouldn't be disappointed in him."

"I get the point. I see it clearly. Where do I draw the line? Mine when I was his age was pretty harsh."

"You've got a good son, Gibbs," Abby reminded him, patting him on the hand. "He's probably going to come home drunk and giggly tonight, if not high. Jimmy Buffet? Yeah, there's gonna be some pot there."

"He's usually got more sense."

"Text him, boss."

Gibbs pulled out his phone and texted his son, reminding him he wasn't supposed to drink or get high, that those concerts were famous for it. He got back a smiley face. "I think it might be too late."

"Could be," Tony agreed, saluting him with his glass. "So have a talk with him tomorrow while he's got the hangover of doom."

"He doesn't get hangovers," Abby said. "Nor will this be his first time drunk, Tony."

"True. I've caught him having a beer before."

"Are we seeing an issue?" Gibbs asked.

"No," they said together.

"It's his hellish child moments," Tony told him. "He's usually at the club with someone he can trust. He never does it in front of me but I've caught him a few times out having fun with some friends. He stopped when he noticed I noticed him."

Abby nodded. "When we go to raves together, he does drink. Mostly wine. He refused to do liquor when I asked him if he wanted to try some the first time; he had a violent reaction to it."

"They were pretty much doing the whiskey bottle proud every night," Tony reminded her gently.

"Oh." She nodded. "That would do it. So if he brings McGee home drunk, punish him for that and for drinking. Set down the firmer house rules about that. What is and is not acceptable. I know he's not driving like that."

"No, he's not. He handed me his keys earlier," Tony admitted, tossing them to his boss. "It's parked at home. They went with Craig and Kyle tonight. Kyle's the Jimmy Buffet fan. Kyle's also the Pink Floyd fan. Kyle does do pot and the occasional hit of acid. I talked to Xander about that and he admitted he had tried it once and hated it."

"But he doesn't mind beers?"

"Not really," Tony offered. "He's got a definite limit for himself. If things get blurry and he starts to feel out of control, he said he stops. He called it 'unable to hunt' a few times." He sipped his drink. "Is he still hunting?"

"I don't know," Gibbs admitted. "I asked and he changed the subject."

Abby nodded. "Not actively but if he runs into something and it challenges him? Yeah. He had a bag of stuff in the trunk for such times. Oh, he's got the accidental magic thing handled. He can about call the bag from the car." Gibbs nodded once at that. "Not going any higher than that either. He said he didn't want to, he just wanted enough control not to magic the computers at Langley by accident the next time." Gibbs snorted and nodded at that as well. "He'll go the mildly buzzed stage but if he starts to feel too loose or too comfortable he stops immediately and tenses back up."

"He knows the top of that slide very well but he's only been down it once," Tony told her. "He ended up on my couch crying because he was a failure. We had a long talk that night about all that stuff while he was drunk and I recorded it. Then I handed it to him over breakfast with his juice and aspirin." He finished his beer and got another slice of pizza. "He's never going to go like his mother, Gibbs."

"Good. Why was he drinking that time?"

Tony's hand paused halfway to his mouth. "Henderson case, boss," he said finally then bit into the slice.

"Abuse case?" Tony nodded. "Why did he see that?"

"He helped McGee find a shelter for her." He looked at him. "He knew. He saw the older girl when we had her in there for killing her father and he knew. I think that's why he drank himself into a near stupor that night. I'm not sure how he made it to my place." He ate another bite.

"I am," Abby told him. "He called me and I wasn't home. He slurred that he didn't want to go home that night and face his dad."

"He could have. We would've talked."

"Yeah, but you're almost mythical to him still, Gibbs," she pointed out. "You're an adult who's related to him. You're an adult who gives a damn and you're related to him."

"He's deathly afraid of disappointing you, that's half the reason for the training and the hiding things he does," Tony agreed quietly. He put down his slice of pizza, wiping off his mouth. "Kate may never see it. Yeah, he's like her stepkid at times. She feels she's got yelling and praising privileges. Abby's taken him out like her little brother. I've taken him out like mine. That's the reason he's worked his ass off in school. So you wouldn't be disappointed in him."

"I'm not. All I wanted was him to try his best and he did."

"Then reassure of him of that while he's got the hangover tomorrow, Gibbs," Abby said fondly. "Also, have we noticed something about the boy's attentions?" Tony nodded. "Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one."

"Huh?"

"His classmates are playmates, boss. He'll top them, he'll be the big, butch top. He'll play with them, mostly hand and blow jobs. He's only had three sex partners since he got here that I know of."

"Five," Abby told him. "Plus about twenty times he's given blows or hand jobs." Gibbs blushed a bit at that. "Hey, your son is gay. Gotta accept that's how they do it, bossman." She patted him on the hand again. "He's always the same with them as he is with you. The big, tough, strong guy who doesn't let himself go and be weak."

"I don't mind if he's weaker than I am. That's training," Gibbs noted.

"Yeah, and he might as well be a Marine too, boss," Tony noted dryly. "Not like he didn't get the training back home."

"Point. So, when does he let go?"

"One of the guys I saw him teasing was one he let be the bigger, stronger, top sort that he could be cuddled by," Abby told him. "He was slightly older at twenty-five I think." Tony nodded. "They dated for about four months during the summer."

"The chaperone guy?"

"No, that was quick hand jobs," Tony told him. "I asked. For him, there's playmates and then there's boyfriend material. The long-term, wanting to be held, being able to let go sort. They're all older."

"Like you are."

"Like I am. I'm not sure if I was the first or not," he admitted.

"No, he's always been around older guys," Abby pointed out. "Jesse was his age but Xander once told me he was a lot like his father, mentally older. He hung out with Jesse's parents a few times while they were in town too. Giles is another example."

"The thing is, it's not a daddy figure he's looking for," Tony offered. "He's not looking for an approval person or anything like that. He's looking for someone to be a bit more stable, someone who can yank him back if he gets a wild thought that makes no sense. He's looking for a security blanket and a safety cushion. Someone who's there if he needs them to be, but would also appreciate him being younger and more fun, someone to have some fun with. Xander's not clubbing each time he goes out. Half the time he ends up in some pretty sophisticated places, Gibbs. I found him at Sophia's more than once."

Gibbs thought about that then nodded. "I can accept that in him. If that's what he wants. As long as he's not recreating his abuser or anything."

"Oh hell no. The first person who raises a hand to him would get the hell beaten out of them," Tony assured him. "The same as he does not want a daddy."

"Good. I'm not like that," Gibbs quipped, signaling for another drink. "I'll cab home."

"I'll drive you and then cab back," Tony promised. "I've only had one over the last hour." Gibbs nodded at that. "He's also very careful to be very safe. He's given some kids the talk and he nearly killed a friend's little brother when they found him trying to give a pro a blow without a condom. They drug his ass in for tests the next day and the pro too." Gibbs smiled at that. "He skipped history to do it," he admitted dryly, smiling at the waitress. "Hi. Can I have a soda, no ice?" She nodded, taking his cup to get him a clean one. "He's also got an eye for form, boss. He's got some high hopes. We sat down in the mall and I watched who he looked at. They were *fine*. I wouldn't date a guy my age or slightly older but the ones he looked at I might've given them some play."

"Good to know. Explains why he passed art and why his present art teacher now is so frustrated with him."

"Yeah, well, a lot of homosexual art is in the younger male form, about his age. He doesn't have a twinging for guys his own age. He wants that feeling of safety if something happens. That does lead back to his parents."

"I realize that." He sighed and dug into his slice of pizza. "Are we sure he's okay mentally doing that?"

"He's fine, boss. I made sure he's not recreating the shitbags back there or you." He took another bite and accepted his soda. "Thank you." She smiled and walked off to check another table. "I think that's why he's got me as a fantasy. I'm hot but I'm also very safe for him to be with, but I would like his fun and energetic side." Gibbs gave him a look. "It's not like you didn't know about his crush."

"Oh, I did," he agreed dryly. "There are days when I think you'd be good for him and then there's others when I'd worry if you two got together."

"I'd still be a top," Tony said quietly, giving him a look. "He'd be as happy as I could make him but I don't foresee it happening." Gibbs relaxed again. "He needs to grow up a bit more for my tastes."

"I'll point that out."

"Oh, he knows," Tony assured him, saluting him with his soda. "We're more than comfortable enough with each other to talk about that stuff. I've even thought about setting him up with a frat brother of mine."

"Please don't."

"Okay, I won't." He grinned. "Are we thinking tequila or are we thinking margaritas tonight?"

"It's Jimmy Buffet. Margaritas are almost mandatory," Abby teased with a grin. "I've seen him drive a few older guys off some of the goth kids in the clubs," she offered. "He's got a very good view on who's trouble when he's out."

"Which was why he was so good in Rome," Tony reminded her. "I can't believe he spotted more than I did. Or that he lost me."

"Make sure he doesn't do that in Rio," Gibbs reminded him.

"He said he wouldn't and he does keep his promises," Tony pointed out patiently. "I'm more worried about a spook coming up to him."

"I'd almost count on it," Abby said quietly, glancing around. "We do realize that Sheppard is one?" They all nodded. "Well, I got an email from Clayton today. Someone down there will try to tempt him because she pointed out how useful he was to certain operations types to someone not over his training program. So if he loses you, it's going to be for a good reason."

"Hopefully. I will hurt them if they try," Tony assured her.

"Me too. Should we let the local office down there know that we're there?"

Gibbs nodded. "That's protocol." He finished his beer. "DiNozzo, hurry up. I don't want to miss him coming home."

"Oh, I'm sure you won't, boss." He finished up and put down his part of the check. "By the way, have we seen him playing hide and seek with the spooks around here recently? McGee was trying to find him a few times and called him Waldo."

Abby giggled so hard she snorted. "I can see that! Then again I can so see him in that outfit!"

Tony shook his head. "Please don't." He walked Gibbs out to his car, taking the keys. "Have you seen Where's Waldo, boss?"

"I have. The books are frustrating finding all the little things. He was working on one the other day." He climbed in and buckled up, letting Tony handle the car however. "Thank you."

"Welcome. Least I could do for you and him, boss. You needed some fears put aside and I'm good at that." He smirked at him. "Doesn't mean I don't get to pick on the kid now and then." He turned lanes and went around a corner, running into the concert. "Huh. I thought this was a street over. Wanna go find the boys?" Gibbs nodded and got out, going to find his son. The guards let him in with a ticket price and he stalked through the crowd. He saw Tony mirroring him and nodded down toward the middle. Craig and his mother. Another female holding hands with her and another kid he didn't know. A fairly drunk McGee, and his very loud and drunkenly cheering son. He walked behind the row and grabbed his son by the ear while Tony winked at Craig and got McGee up and out, dragging him off. "How hard is it to make sure he doesn't drink?" he demanded.

"M'not drunk," he slurred.

"It probably only took him a single drink," Gibbs said when they joined him at the car. "The kid smells like a beer stein." He opened the door and pointed. "In, McGee." He slunk down but got in there. "Do not puke in the car, either of you." He started to get in to drive and Tony shook his head, giving him a nudge. "Fine." He walked around, getting in and turning to nag them. "You two are plastered."

"My fault," Xander said, sounding a bit less drunk now. "Sorry, dad. I was having some fun and letting go."

"You don't have to drink to do that."

"I do need the mental lube to let go."

"We'll be talking, son. This still isn't healthy to do." He slapped McGee's face lightly. "Don't you dare pass out."

"He only had three, dad," Xander sighed. "I made them fairly weak."

"Who let you buy liquor?"

"No comment." He looked at his father. "Not like it's a habit, dad," he said more quietly.

"I know. Tony and I talked. It's still not the best thing if you need mental lube to let go." He shifted more fully to look at him. "That way leads to the slide, son. Why do you need the mental lube?"

"Because otherwise the switch that makes me the serious guy I am in training is stuck in the 'on' position sometimes." He leaned back and closed his eyes. "That's the bad part of margaritas, the swirls later." He nudged McGee awake again. "Don't sleep yet. You've got to make it to bed." McGee nodded. Tony pulled up outside his house and got him out, dragging McGee up to his place to put him to bed. "I'm sorry, but sometimes I get stuck and I can't get around it."

"There's other ways, son, and I'll work on that with you." He reached back. "I know that sometimes it's got to be Miller Time. I've had those days myself." Xander nodded at that, staring at him. "But doing it just to let loose is bad. Especially with your history."

"That's why I never go that far and I don't do it that often. I don't even want to be one of those social drinkers."

"I can understand that but we'll be talking when you wake up in the morning."

"I've only had four."

"Which speaks to an incredible tolerance."

"Yeah, well, not the first time," he admitted sourly.

"When was?" he asked.

Xander looked at him, then shrugged. "I was probably four or so. I was drinking out of mom's glass of Jack and Coke." His father opened his mouth. "The first I really remember and know I didn't get a hangover after? I was ten and my father decided it was time I learned the family's best kept secret. We killed a case between us and a fifth of Jack. I puked for hours but no headache. My father said it was the family secret." He grimaced at his hands. "I only drink a few times a month, dad." He looked at him again. "I used to drink a lot more in Sunnydale to kill the pain and the nightmares."

"What do you do now when you have nightmares?"

"I play with the dog."

"That's what I heard," he sighed, shaking his head. "You could come down and talk."

"You were asleep."

"Not really. I don't do that as much as I should from my own nightmares, son." He reached back and Xander took his hand. "We'll work on that together, all right?" Xander nodded. "Good. No more drinking this month. If you get stuck, you come tell me. Not Tony, not Abby, me."

"Yes, sir. Did I lose my trip?"

"No. That's a once-in-a-lifetime thing," he offered. "I'm impressed that you're not already an alcoholic with your former family." He gave the hand in his a squeeze. "We'll figure it out, kiddo. I promise we will. You're not in trouble. You are for giving it to McGee and the other kids."

"Kyle's mom bought it and the pot." He covered his mouth. "Oops?"

"Did you?"

"Nope. It was for afterward. We were all going to Kyle's house to get mellow and cuddle." He shrugged. "It's only the second time except for that accidental one during the questioning thing where I kissed Tony."

Gibbs smiled. "Liquor makes you babble a lot, son. It's probably a good idea to stick to beer from now on. We'll talk tomorrow."

"Yes, dad." He slunk down and took his hand back. "Are you disappointed?"

"That you got your bodyguard drunk, yeah. That you were doing it? I should've expected this sort of thing. It's a common dodge for PTSD. Plenty of us have went that way after battles." Xander nodded at that wisdom. "We'll talk tomorrow but you are grounded until you leave for Rio because you did get McGee drunk. No computer, nothing."

"I still need the stuff for Willow."

"We'll monitor that. You can do that in front of me. I'd rather know up front than later anyway, son."

"Yes, sir."

"Try dad?"

"I do call you dad."

"You do. But not when I'm upset or you're upset."

Xander burped. "Excuse me. Training."

"Yeah, well, break it, kiddo. I'm your father, I'm not your drill sergeant." He looked over, finding Tony on the stairs of the building. "Think you can make it home without puking?"

"I have in the past. I only puke when I've passed my usual limits."

"Get in here, DiNozzo." He came back to drive them home. "Thank you."

"Not an issue, boss. You two needed time to talk." He looked back in the rearview mirror. "Maybe you should give him that tape, Xan."

"I'm not ready for that yet."

"When you are, you'll hand it to me," Gibbs assured him. Xander nodded at that. "We'll talk tomorrow after school?"

"Can I skip?"

"No." He smirked. "You are still grounded for getting your bodyguard drunk."

"Dad, he's not exactly bodyguard material. We went out to have fun, not to have that stiffly formal relationship. Really. He's good and all that, but bodyguard?"

"That's what I intended him to be. Quit justifying it."

"Yes, sir." Gibbs gave him a look. "Dad."

"Thank you." He smiled and turned back around, watching the pretty blue lights come on behind them. "Hell. What did you do?"

"Nothing." He pulled over and the cop came up behind him. "Yes, officer?" He looked and stared. Then he reached for his gun. "Ari!" Xander had his out first and pointed at him, braced against the back seat. "Boss, permission?"

"Get out and arrest him, don't shoot him." They got out and he watched his son move. He was loose and comfortable but not drunk. He got out to help, taking his son's gun. They got backup a few minutes later thanks to Xander calling Kate and it was a great weight off them. They filled out minimal paperwork and headed home anyway. He tucked his son into bed and went to his own.

***

Gibbs looked over as Xander came down the next morning. "Wear it." Xander gave him a horrified look. "He escaped custody. Wear it." Xander went to get his gun and put it on, coming back down. "Thank you. That was stupid of him last night."

"It was a taunt. He knew he could get out when he did it," Xander said quietly, leaning on the back of his chair. "Are we okay?"

"We're fine, son." He looked at him. "Want some juice?"

"No, I want a tongue scraper." He sat down and drank the juice anyway. He was thirsty. "Do we think he'll make another move so soon?"

"I don't know," Gibbs admitted. "I was told that the Mossad contact is coming back this week." He leaned his elbows on the table, watching his son eat. "How can you do that? The last time I got as drunk as you were last night I didn't make breakfast."

"Practice and necessity." He looked at him. "Again, not the first time."

"I understand. I also know that we're still going to have to find you a new way to let go, kiddo. It's not healthy for you to drink even two or three times a month."

"Pot. Kettle," Xander said dryly.

"I know. I do it for the same reasons. I'm too old to learn new ways. You're not."

"Point." He slumped and looked at him. "I didn't mean to upset you...."

"You didn't. I should've expected some wildness out of you, Xander. Especially with what the former parental units were like. Like I said last night, I'm surprised you're not a full-blown lush with them and what you used to do. You're impressing the hell out of me at the moment." Xander relaxed again and nodded. "For right now, we'll work on those issues. You need it. Is there any other way you let go?"

"Going bottom slut," he offered dryly.

"Not something I can help you with, son."

"I know. That's why I don't do it here."

"Tony, Abby, and I talked about you for a while last night. That's why I wasn't driving. I had a few beers with the pizza we shared." Xander gave him a horrified look. "What?"

"You guys talked about me in public?"

"Yeah, but no one was nearby. We started out talking about graduation presents." Xander smiled at that. "As long as you do live until graduation it should be a nice surprise." He cleared his throat. "You're still grounded until you leave for Rio."

"Which is in a week, dad."

"Point. Maybe a few days after you get back too." Xander grinned at that. "We good?"

"We're fine."

"What's on the tape?"

Xander considered it then looked at him. "I'm still not ready for that."

"That's fine. When you are, you'll give it to me."

"Yup, probably right before I leave the country again," he noted dryly. His father smirked at that. "That way I'm not in 'strange emotional range' again." Gibbs nodded at that. "Thanks."

"Welcome. Come on. You've definitely lost driving privileges." Xander sighed but got up and let his father drive him to class. He waved at him and headed into the office a lot more calm about his son. His son was pretty strong and he understood what he was going through, at least a bit. His son was a great kid.

***

A week after they got back from Rio, Xander was slumped down in English class, looking out the window while someone gave a book report orally. He saw a glint off something and sat up straighter, then got up to stare out the window. The teacher coughed and he looked. "I've....I've gotta go." He hurried out. He knew his dad's car. He knew the glint on another building. It was too familiar. He called him. "Dad, sniper. West." He hung up and raced out of the school, finding the right direction easily enough. It was a set of warehouses near the school. He found the right one and sped up momentarily, taking a running leap at the bottom of a fire escape ladder. He pulled himself up and climbed up the ladder as quietly as he could. Even though he heard a shot go off. He could hear the gunshots stop in the valley between the two warehouses then a pause and a final one. He peeked over the edge, seeing his father's team working on something, then he saw what had been glinting. He snuck over the edge, inching his gun out. "Freeze, Ari. Now." The sniper froze and moved one hand. "I wouldn't." He kicked the gun away and shifted slightly to his side. "Do not move. That's not a hard command." He glanced over. Someone was down. "I've got him. Come switch places!"

"Yes, what will you choose to do?" he taunted. "Let the bad guy go to save the fair lady? Or keep me and lose her."

He put in his ear bud. "Tony, describe the injury. Get McGee to get Ducky's kit out of the trunk. Yes, I'm serious. Is she dead?" He nodded once. "Good. Get the field kit. There's a stapler in there. Also some clamps. Get the ends of the vein together however you can for now. I'm on. I've got him." He listened while they did it. "That's fine, expect some seeping but if she's too long without that vein working the brain's not getting enough oxygen. I know, neck shots are problematic." He cocked the gun. "I said don't move, Ari. Did you think I was kidding?"

"You won't shoot me, the safety's on."

Xander checked, then clicked it off. "Bet me," he said coldly. "I've hunted other things. I've killed things that most people don't even believe in. What makes you so sure I won't jump from demons to you?" He listened to the voice. "Paramedics are there? Let them have the clamp or whatever. I can replace it." He hung up and continued to hold him. He shifted his stance.

"You're just a little boy," Ari hissed.

"No, I haven't been one of those in a long time." He heard people coming up the fire escape. "Bring cuffs?"

"I did," Gibbs agreed. "Back down." Xander shook his head. "Now."

"No. He'll get free again."

Tony stepped between them, staring into his eyes as he made Xander lower his gun. "It's an emotion, Xander," he said quietly. "I want to kill the asshole too. Kate'll live." He turned and kicked him, cracking at least one rib. Then he turned back to him. "Get him if it'll help."

Xander shook his head. "It won't."

Tony made the kid look him in the eyes again. "Been here, done that, nearly slipped myself. You do that, you become just like him. Just like the ones who're training you," he said quietly. "Put it away." Xander reholstered his gun and Tony relaxed some. He pulled the kid closer, holding him, letting him shake for a bit. "You did good. I wanted to do the same thing. So does your dad."

Xander got free and looked over. "Dad?"

"He's right, you shouldn't shoot him. I should shoot him. I won't get in trouble for it."

"You do that and I lose you."

Gibbs looked at him. "Not necessarily. You and Tony wouldn't contradict my story, right?" Xander shook his head.

"Never, boss, but remember the slippery slope?" He nodded at Xander. "You'd still lose him to some degree by beating your own ass over it."

"I've had to kill before."

"That was my line earlier," Xander pointed out.

Gibbs nodded. "True. Mine was actually human though." He stared at him, seeing the fear.

"You do that, he's a martyr, boss," Tony said quietly. "He's a martyr to them and to their cause. He'll get lauded for centuries for doing this." He came over. "Just cuff him and kick him, boss. Please. I don't want the team." Gibbs nodded, putting his gun away. Tony relaxed and watched as Xander kicked him in the side, then the nuts. "Nice shot, Xan." He pulled him back again, giving him another hug. "You're okay. It's a normal desire. We'd hate to lose you from doing it." Xander nodded, letting Tony lead him off after Ari. "Boss, we're keeping him, right?"

"In a dive tank so we can regulate his oxygen," Xander suggested. "They have to be gotten out of from outside."

"True, and it's got the basic necessities," Tony agreed, smiling at him. "I like the way you think."

"Plus we can turn up the nitrogen and poison him slowly."

"We can," Gibbs agreed. "You did listen in biology. I'm impressed, son."

Xander gave him a hug once Ari was in the car. "Which one of us hits the hospital?"

"You go for me. We'll come to get a statement. How did you know?"

"His scope or something was winking in the sun and I have a scanner on very quietly in my pocket," he admitted, pulling it out. His father smirked and took it, giving his head a nudge. "Thanks. But with that winking and that wasn't the building you were working on? Yeah, not going there."

"Good point. Thank you, son." He gave him a hug. "Go stay with Kate until we can get there." Xander nodded, heading off to get a ride with one of the cops. He pulled out an ID badge for Langley and they gave him scared looks but took him there. "He's good."

"He still nearly slipped, boss," Tony said quietly. "They would've loved that." Gibbs looked at him and Tony stared back. "The same as if you had. It would've given them leverage to get Xander." He walked around to get in. "Let's go, boss. I want to see Kate and this one being around is keeping us from the hospital."

Gibbs nodded and got in, driving his normal way on the way back to the station. He stuck him in a cell and pocketed the key personally. He pointed at two guards. "This is the man who shot me, shot Ducky's assistant Gerald, and just now shot Agent Todd. I want him alive when I get back and in that cell. I want him able to scream, cry, and rant to his God. Anything else is up to you. I know he's got a broken rib during apprehension. Am I clear?"

"Yes, sir, even if the building is on fire, he's staying in that cell," one agreed, nodding. "How is Agent Todd?"

"Headed for immediate surgery. He hit her in the throat, Xander's sneaking up on him apparently threw off his aim. It probably would've been a head shot otherwise," Tony told him. They shuddered at that. "Are we clear?"

"We're clear," the second one agreed. "Not even the director is getting him free, sir." Tony nodded at that and they left, still wearing their vests. They shared a look and glared at the person in the cell. He was not going to have a pleasant night.

The director met them on the stairs. "Jethro, I heard someone got shot on your team. Who?"

"Kate," he said grimly. "Throat shot. Xander sneaking up on him ruined his aim with the noise he was making. If he gets out of that cell, I'm going to kill him, Jen. Nothing will stop me." He walked around her. "I've got an injured agent and a son to deal with."

"You're going to punish him, correct?"

"He saved her life," Tony sneered. "Hell no, woman!" He walked after him, shaking his head. "Boss, sorry if I get fired for being an asshole."

"I knew you were an asshole already, DiNozzo. I find it a charming trait. Like how you drug my son out of the whorehouse in Rio." He got in to drive, Tony sliding across the hood and scurrying inside so he wouldn't be left behind.

The director fumed. "Well!" She stomped inside, going to call her Mossad contact. "We've captured Ari. He was trying to shoot an agent." She hung up and went down to check on him. "Is he secure?"

"Still in handcuffs and the main key is in Agent Gibbs' pocket, ma'am," one of them reported. "They reported he might need medical attention for a broken rib but he doesn't appear to be suffering and until Doctor Mallard comes back, he can wait."

"That's fine. Let me know immediately if someone tries to get in to see him."

"Yes, ma'am." She walked off, heading back to her office to make some calls. She didn't care who's nice guy list he was on, he had tried to kill one of her agents. She knew Gibbs was being serious. He would kill him if he was released.

***

Xander woke up in the middle of the night, hearing a step in his room. He pulled his knife from under his pillow and lunged, making the person yelp and his father come running. "Who the fuck?" he demanded, taking off his hood once his father had turned on the lights. "Patrick?"

"He's a mole," he said quietly. "You're not answering the phone, Xander. They took him out so he could bust the cell."

"Fuck the cell. He tried to shoot one of my dad's team, if not my father."

"Not my decision. I'm only the messenger," he said calmly. "We don't think he'll try again."

"No. Because he wasn't captured another time taunting us," Xander said dryly. "Or trying to bomb that coffeeshop on my father." Patrick swallowed. "You can tell them I'm not happy and if they thought I wasn't using it before, they've got it coming. This will make me turn on them."

"I'll pass it back. Can I live?" Xander removed the knife from his throat. "I'm sorry. It wasn't even us. Morrow is hellishly pissed. He's been ranting at Herbert and Herbert's had to point out multiple times that it wasn't his decision either."

"In other words, there's idiots in charge?" Xander noted dryly.

"And then some. They think his uses outweigh his stench."

"Fat chance."

"Not my call."

"Point," Gibbs assured him. "Let them know he's not coming back." Patrick nodded and left, heading down to the front door at a jog. He looked at his son. "If he's out, I want you safer."

"He's not going to try here!"

"He is. He couldn't get his target to make us hurt, he'll try me personally. He's after me, Xander. I want you to go to Tony's."

"Shouldn't we call first?"

"No. He'll take you in no matter what." He tipped his son's chin up. "I don't want you in that sort of danger," he said quietly. "If I die, Tony and Ducky will take care of you. If you die, I'm going to destroy things. Are we clear?" Xander sighed and nodded. "Thank you. Now, pack a bag and head over. Just in case."

"You'll need backup."

"I'll have it." He smirked. "Remember, I'm used to thinking strategically. If he comes for you, don't hesitate. If he doesn't, stay away until I call."

"No. You have two days." He looked at his father. "And then I'm coming home. If he comes then, he faces you and I'll back you up." His father opened his mouth. He held up a hand. "Don't start. Just don't. You know damn well I'm not going to stay away. I may even sit up in a tree for the next few nights. This is my fucking home and I'm not leaving."

"Fine. Two days." Xander nodded and packed his backpack. "School clothes?"

"Doubt it. Oh, but do call the headmistress and tell her I'll be out for the next few days but I'm fine. I forgot earlier." His father rolled his eyes but went to do that. He called Tony. "Ari's out. Dad said I have to come camp on your couch for two days." He hung up and took his case out from under his bed. That, his laptop, and his backpack got hefted down to the car, then he came back for two sodas. "I mean it, dad, two days." He slammed the door on his way out. He came back and got his dog and took him too, just in case. His father forgot to feed his dog now and then. That reminded him and he went back for his food and bowls, getting an amused look. "Not like you wouldn't forget to feed him," he muttered. "He'd probably pee on the boat again and it'd be my fault." He headed back out, watching his dog whimper. "We're going to see Tony." The dog settled down. He liked Tony nearly as much as his master did. Xander backed down the driveway and headed over there, finding Tony waiting on him on the stairs. "If it's inconvenient, I can hit a motel."

"Fat chance." He got up and came over, getting the dog and dog food. "What happened?"

"One of the kids I train with broke into the house. Someone decided he still had use."

"Excuse me?" Tony asked, letting the leash fall. The dog went to sniff the bushes. "Blackie!" He came back and sat beside him. "Good boy." He took the leash again. "So they broke him out?"

"Or something. I told dad he's got two days to do it his way and then I'm going home again." He grabbed the other three and headed inside after Tony. "Sorry if this crimped a date. I know Abby had a snuggle buddy in her coffin tonight."

"Abby would've let you go nest in the trees behind the house. I won't." He locked the door after them, letting the dog go. "You have to be very quiet. I'm not supposed to have you." He looked at the boy again. "Are you all right?"

"Pissed," he said firmly, looking at him. "There's no way in hell I'd ever work for them before, but now?" He let out a bitter sounding snort. "Ain't no way." He sat down. "How can they weigh lives like that?"

"It's their job. That's one of the many reasons we didn't want you to go over there," Tony offered, sitting beside him. Blackie hopped up to sit in the master's lap but his ears were temptingly close to Tony's hands, earning a smile. "Are you feeling ignored?" He petted him but let the boy cuddle him. It was a good thing his girlfriend had been very understanding. They sat and cuddled for about twenty minutes when Tony had to get up and answer a quiet knock on the door. He looked at his present girlfriend. "What did you forget?"

"My house keys." She came in and looked at Xander, smiling. "Hi, I'm Bev."

"Hi, Xander." He shook her hand listlessly. "My life's in danger. What are you missing?"

"House keys." Xander spotted them and pointed. "Thank you, dear. You're going to be a heartbreaker when you finish growing up."

"I'm seventeen, Bev, not seven," he complained. She laughed and patted him like she would the dog then left. He looked at Tony once she was gone. "Gee, doesn't appreciate them younger?"

"Not hardly. That's probably a good thing since she's seeing me." He headed into the kitchen, putting down the food bowls and refilling the water dish. Blackie came in to investigate then headed into the bedroom. "Let us know if you've got to go out." He went back to the couch, letting Xander cuddle into his side again. "He'll be fine."

"He'd better be," he vowed. "Willow thinks she can bring someone back. I'll let her try."

Tony smiled. "I'm sure he'd mind."

"Do I care?" Xander looked at him. "I'm not kidding." Tony lost his smile. "Speaking of, I've got stuff I've got to translate for her. Want to watch me since I'm still grounded?"

Tony snorted. "No, that's all right." He stroked through Xander's hair. "Get to sleep sometime today." He got up and headed into the bedroom, finding the dog sleeping stretched out in the middle of the bed, his head on the pillows. Tony chuckled. "You're so spoiled, dog." He laid down, cuddling the beast. If he didn't like it, he'd move. He heard Xander come in but he was sneaking into the bathroom so he wasn't upset. The boy came back out. "You can flush. My girlfriends do." Xander went back and flushed and the dog followed him. Tony smiled and settled in to nap. He would talk with Gibbs in the morning to get briefed.

***

Xander watched Tony ignore his alarm and sighed, calling the house. "Does Tony have to appear today?" He smirked. "Greatness. No, he's asleep with the dog. Thanks, dad. Anything happen yet?" He hung up on him and Xander groaned, calling the director's office. "Michelle, it's Xander. Yup, me. No, but Tony might be a bit late. Dad had to send me to him last night since Ari's out of jail *again*. I'm not real sure," he noted dryly. "Something about me *killing* him." He smiled at the sleepy Tony stumbling toward the bathroom. "Yeah, probably not by much and Dad might be too. He sounded like he hasn't slept yet. Oh, charming. Tell her she can wait and not to sit at Kate's desk this time." He smiled. "Goodie. No, I'm at Tony's with the dog. Thank you. No, if she wants me, she can yelp and my dog will hear." He hung up on her laughter. "You can be a few late," he called.

"Thanks. Who were you talking to?"

"Michelle. The director's secretary." Tony came out of the bathroom with his toothbrush hanging out of his mouth and his hands on his hips. "She likes to feed my chocolate addiction." He went back to the living room. "I'd dress for an active day."

Tony retreated and came back out without the toothbrush. "School?"

"Fat chance," he said dryly. "No way I'm going until I get back home." He looked at his dog, then at Tony. "Besides, I have something to do today." Tony raised an eyebrow. "I have trainers who are bastards."

"Don't, Xander. They will hit back."

"We'll see." Tony shook his head but he walked off to get dressed. "Should I make breakfast?"

"I'll drive through somewhere. Thanks anyway." He heard the soda open and looked out. "Don't spill that."

"Sure." He took another drink and got to work with the stuff he had set out on the table. Tony looked and sighed, then shuddered and walked off again. "I'll visit Kate later as long as your landlord doesn't call someone on us."

"I'll have a word with him about protecting a witness." He looked down at the begging face. "Let the boy feed you. Your his." Blackie trotted that way and he finished getting dressed. He did dress for an active day. It wasn't going to be nice by any means. Gibbs was going to growl all day. He walked in and found the security team waiting on him. "What?"

"Where's Gibbs?" the director demanded.

"Probably coming from home. He lives further out and it's been rather a long night since one of Xander's fellow trainees broke in to tell them that Ari was out."

"How would he know?" she demanded.

Tony looked at the guards. "Guys, what does Xander do during the summers?"

"He's in pre-agent training with the guys out at Langley in the sub-basement somewhere," one of them reported faithfully. "Every now and then he comes in complaining about them too. Is the boy okay?"

"He's fine. He's on my couch," Tony assured him. "With his dog." That got a smile. He looked at the director again. "That crash we just heard was probably Gibbs pulling in and someone trying to cut him off." She stormed that way. He signed in.

"Do not move, Agent DiNozzo."

"But, boss, I need something to drink with my breakfast," he called. He looked at the guards, who shrugged. "I already miss Morrow. Now I see why Xander calls her She Who Barks," he muttered. A few caught that and laughed, nodding. Gibbs was escorted in. "Hi, boss. I got you an egg mcmuffin too."

"Thanks, DiNozzo. Let's go."

"She said I couldn't move."

"She's not in charge of my team. My team is my team." She gasped. "Drop it, Madam Director. He shot my agent. If he comes for me or mine, he's going again. This time permanently." He walked off after he had signed in. "Coming, DiNozzo, or do you need an invitation."

"Coming, boss." He slid into the elevator and handed over the sandwich, looking at him. "They're there with the laptop and some candles and stuff. He was talking about making some people miserable."

"I'm sure he can. That magic stuff is pretty powerful."

"Yeah, he said if you died, Willow thinks she can bring people back, boss." He gaped and Tony nodded before walking off the elevator. "I do believe he told someone to tell you not to sit at Kate's desk," he said loudly. The woman there hopped up. "Thank you. She's only injured." He sat down and dug into his breakfast while he computer booted, finding a message from Xander. "He's bored."

"He's not bored. He's helpful."

"No, he said he's bored," Tony offered, sending it to his boss.

"The dog's bored. They left all his toys at the house." He sat down and got into his browser to get into the chat room. They had more information than he had and it appeared that Xander's training class were on his side in this debate.

"Off the chatroom, Agent Gibbs," the director ordered when she came in. She yanked his ethernet cord when he didn't. "That was an order."

"And that was some other intelligence agents, Director. They're watching over Kate for me." He took it back and plugged it back in but McGee came over to plug it in for him. "Thank you. Get what they know, McGee."

"Already on it, boss. He's got a target." He handed it over. "I got it IM'd to me at five this morning." He looked at Tony. "I called the hospital this morning, she's fine and ranting. She said we should've let Xander shoot him." He sat down again when the director gasped and stared at him in horror.

"I don't want my son to go down that path, McGee," Gibbs said firmly. "If there's a homicide to commit, I plan on doing it." He found what he wanted and got into that file, smiling at it. "Nice to know. Thank you, Willow." He smirked at Tony. "Willow's not a happy camper since the son isn't."

"Is she coming out?" Tony asked, food put down in front of him and he took an antacid.

"No, they're too busy out there." He got back into the chat room and found who he needed, talking to them directly. It was fixed. They had his target within two or three people. He nodded and signed off on the good advice. "McGee, DiNozzo, we're going on a stakeout. Take one each, I'll get you replacements in a few hours." They ran off with their assignments, Tony still eating. He looked at the Mossad agent. "Officer David," he said dryly. "Back again?"

"Unfortunately. Are you all right?"

"He's coming after my family. There's no way I'm allowing them or the team to be hurt further."

"You have family?" she asked. "Your profile...."

"Ask me if I care what my profile says." He stood up and turned off his computer, walking around the director. "I'm going to do my job after I check on my agent. Officer David, you can accompany me." She hurried after him. He looked at her once they were in the elevator. "Don't even expect preferential treatment."

"I won't. I'm fully trained."

"Good." He got out and headed for his car, turning off the security system he hardly ever used. It went off again and he smiled, nodding. He walked away from it, breaking into another car and getting in to hotwire it. The things his son had shown him. He called the security desk. "My car's alarm won't quit going off, even when I stop it. It needs checked. I'm heading off." He hung up and sped off, going to find his target, which happened to be in Tony's apartment building. They watched as Xander escorted his dog out to water the bushes.

"He's very young. Who would've recruited him?"

"It's a personal target for Ari," he said quietly. "He's not a terrorist."

"Are you sure? He's got a gun."

"That's for his protection. He was there when Ari shot Gerald."

She looked at him. "He wouldn't come back to him."

"He would. He smarted off and fought back." She stared, looking confused. "He also pinned Ari to the ground after he shot Kate. He came within inches of shooting him."

"Why didn't he?"

"Because he's seventeen," he said quietly. He looked at her. "That's my son."

"Oh." She looked at the boy. "At least you're sure he's not a terrorist. For all that he looks like one of those rebellious thugs you see on tv."

"That's his sweat pants. They slide down when he's wearing his gun." He looked through his binoculars. "That's my spare, not his. Interesting." He'd have to yell later. His son looked up and waved, then walked the dog back inside, earning a smirk. "He's good."

"He is. Is he planning on training with you?"

"Already started," he said proudly. "Some year soon he'll be a great agent." He saw the pound's truck come in and sighed, shaking his head and calling his agent's landlord. "It's Gibbs." He smirked at the man falling all over himself to please him. "That dark haired guy with a dog is a witness the team is protecting. Do not touch him. He will fight back if you touch his dog. That's how we got another person." He hung up on his assurances. The pound's van got met and they nodded and headed off in another direction. "Good." He checked the area. He called the apartment. "It's me. You're a target," he said quietly. He nodded. "That's still dangerous." He nodded slowly at the idea. "That might work but I want you far away, son." A paintball splattered on his windshield and he smirked. "Nice shot. Do that again and be grounded for the rest of the semester and without a car again." The plan was said again. "Works for me. What is Willow doing to them?" He let out a chuckle of evilness at that. "If she's happy doing it for stress relief." He hung up and turned on the windshield wipers, hosing down the spot liberally with fluid so it could be cleaned off. "His trainers are not going to be happy people. Hopefully they send it up the chain of command."

"Who is training him?"

"Classified."

"Never mind." She looked around again. Then she touched his arm and pointed. "Who is that?"

He looked. "Kate. The woman whose desk you were sitting at." He got out and looked at her. "You should be in bed," he ordered when she came closer.

She snorted. "Yeah, right, Gibbs. If Xander can get up so can I." She looked at the person in the car then at him. "Replacement?"

"Hardly. That is Officer David of the Mossad."

"Interesting. Hi." She looked at him. "I'm suspecting he's here since Abby said he's not at her place?" He nodded. "Wonderful." She glanced behind her then back at him. "I need to thank him for telling you guys what to do."

"Pleasure, you know that. Be safe, Kate."

"I try, Gibbs. You know me."

"I do. The same as I know you need pain killers. Go up there, Tony might have some stashed." She nodded, heading that way. He hung up with his son again and watched her walk. Suddenly a man took off running from the bushes after screaming in pain. Another paintball hit him and Gibbs gave chase. "Got him, Tony, your place. Heading for the freeway," he radioed. Another few cars pulled in and one tried to run him over but the other one nearly slammed into Ari. Tony blocked him off and got out, holding him still.

"Try it. This time they won't stop me."

"You're not the mean one."

"Sure I'm not," he said dryly. "Gibbs?"

"Fine," he panted, coming over. "I hate ducking cars." He pulled out his cuffs and cuffed him. Tightly. He winced so he tightened them as far as he could. "Good," he said in his ear. "Game over."

"Not really. Someone else will get the boy and we'll do great things with him."

"I doubt it. I'm already doing pretty good. Oh, but his former masters, they're in pain." He walked him over to Tony's car. "Keep him with you."

"Of course. Kate?"

"Xander had her covered." He headed back there, going to see if the drivers were still in the cars. Not surprisingly they weren't. He made another call. "Willow, Gibbs. Can you shut them down completely? I think I could cover enough for that, yeah. We'll see. If you need him." He hung up and went back to get Ziva and his son. His son was redressed and still carrying. "You don't need that at the office."

"If he moves I'm so capping his ass this time." He patted his father on the cheek. "Come on. Did you steal the director's car on purpose?" He got into the back with the dog and Kate, checking her bandage. "No damage done. You should still be in bed."

"I'll be fine."

"I'm sure but Ducky will fuss," he said finally, letting her go. Gibbs slid in and they left. "Oh, dad, I may have created a small security booboo when I left on my laptop," he said innocently, giving him a look.

"I asked her to make them suffer too, son." He pulled up beside Tony. "Lose him?"

"Waiting on you, boss. If he moves, McGee's shooting him." That got a nod and he slid back in, driving back right behind Gibbs. The parking garage was still blocked but visitor's parking was always nice. They walked him inside, letting Xander sign him and the dog in. The guards smiled at that.

"Hey, he's a visitor too," he pointed out, taking his pass. He took one for the dog and clipped it onto his collar and they headed up in the second elevator. He walked off into the screaming match. He walked up behind Ari and pulled his gun, clicking the safety off and cocking it. "Now's a good time, don't you think?" he hissed. "All the chaos you could want and none of the grief." Ari let out a small moan, which made the fighting stop. "You wanted to do what to me, pussy boy?"

"You will be trained by those who can."

Xander tipped his face up with the gun. "What makes you think I want it? I'm going to be a nice, normal CSI-type agent. No matter how wet I make your masters. No matter how wet I make my trainers. Am I clear?" he asked quietly. "Those others who sent you after me are going to pay. I'll make sure of it. I may not have to shoot them but they will be paying." Ari swallowed. "Am I clear?" That got a nod. "Good. Now, what's keeping me from shooting you?"

"You can't do that."

Xander glared at the director, making her back off. "He came for me. He was going to try to kill me. He nearly killed Kate. I threw off his concentration when I snuck up on him." She glared. "That's not what you wanted him out for. And yes, I do know your masters." He looked at Ari again. "The only person who's going to stop me you've been trying to kill. Interesting, huh?" Ari started to sweat. "Stare into my eyes, Ari," he said in Hebrew. "Tell me what I'm going to do to you and yours." He sweated worse, his mouth starting to tremble. "There is a reason my father took me from Sunnydale. Think about what I had to do there. Now think of what I've learned since then. I can easily make you one sorry mother fucker." Ari swallowed. "Are we clear?"

"We're clear," he agreed.

Xander uncocked his gun. He handed it to Kate then took one really good hit at his face. "That's for Kate. You don't hurt women around me. That's something I protest, like I do gay jokes. Oh, and you might wanna tell them, I'm as gay as they fucking well come. Though I do have taste," he said, sneering at him. "I'd never sleep with you." He looked at his dog, then at the director, smirking at her. "You really should get my dossier." She stomped off and squealed a few minutes later. "Blackie, leave her alone. She won't play with you, she's going to poison you." His dog trotted back. "Good boy." He looked at his father. "Can I have a buck for a soda? I left my wallet at the house." Gibbs dug out a bill and handed it over. "Thanks, dad." He grinned and headed off to get one, the dog following him.

Ziva yelped and rubbed her ankle. "That beast bit me!"

"Yeah, he's a lot like his master, not real fond of strange women," Tony told her. "Need some neosporin? Ducky's got to come up anyway." He called him. "Ducky, Kate's in." He hung up on the muttering.

Ducky came up and smiled at the dog, petting the well-behaved beast. "There you are, Blackie. Are you being a good boy?"

"He bit me," Ziva complained.

"He does have his father's taste in women, only the most dangerous and deadly get his favored attention." He handed her the tube of neosporin before hauling Kate up and sitting her on her desk so he could look under her bandage. "I see someone's already checked."

"Welcome," Xander called, coming out with the change for his father. "Thanks, dad." He popped it open and sat behind his usual desk. "So, firing squad?"

"Might be a happy thing," Tony agreed. "McGee?"

"I'm not usually pro death penalty but I can make exceptions as long as we use Old Sparky down in Florida."

Gibbs smirked at him. "They've got it working again. No more stuttering." The director shrieked in her office. "Sounds like she got blocked, son."

"Either that or Willow syndrome spread." McGee went to take all their computers off the intranet and called Abby too.

The director stormed down the stairs. "How.... You..."

"How dare I or how did I?" he asked. "You're missing a word in there, director." She glared at him. "You were. I speak babble not huffy woman. I don't like women." She glared worse. He shrugged. "I don't. I'm fairly gay."

"How did you...."

"Two years hunting in Sunnydale, nearly three. Then I came here and your buddies took me in for pre-agent training. Plus, ya know, presents for passing shit, like the dog was." She huffed off again. "I promise I won't do any of that here as long as my father's left alone," he called after her. She glared at him from the stairs and he looked at her. "I want to be on his team some year. After I graduate and all that. Your choice to call a truce or not."

"Truce," she decided. "Now undo whatever you did to my computer."

"Wasn't me," he noted dryly. "Might've been one of my fellow students. After all, you get a bunch of kids around sixteen and make us train to be super spies? We're still teenagers, Director."

"Fine," she ground out. "We'll have a truce and I'll ask them nicely to undo my computer. Get the dog out of the office."

"When I leave. It's too hot to put him in the car and he has bathroom needs. I will let the security guys hold him as long as they're nice to him." She nodded and stomped up the stairs. He waved and turned around. "Hey, George," he called. "You were thinking about a dog right?" The security guy with them nodded. "Can you take Blackie out for a walk?" That got a nod and he came to get the dog and take him out with him. "Thanks, man."

"Welcome, Xander. What's her problem with dogs?"

"She hates anything cuddly and cute."

"Oh, one of those sort of women." He looked at the dog. "Come on, Blackie." He followed him out. "Wanna go visit some bushes?" The dog sped up, looking much happier. "Good boy." He looked over when he heard something move and then the sound of guns clearing holsters and clicking. "Sounds like he moved." He looked at the dog. "Come on, we'll go play. That way I can see if I want a dog like you." He walked him outside once the elevator landed, waving at his boss. "Director said to take him for a walk, sir."

"I didn't know Harris gave her his dog," he said dryly.

One of the other guys looked at him. "She and Harris just had a face-off again. They have the guy who shot Kate up there."

"Good. He dead?"

"Not yet, but he just moved. We're watching on the cams."

"Let me know." He watched his guard and the dog walk. "They're good together. He should get a dog." He went to make notes. "Tell Gibbs it wasn't a bomb, just a fake. His car's fine."

"Yes, sir." He called up there. "Agent Gibbs, Paul with Security. Your car only had a fake on it. It's fine now. Yes, sir. So you won't have to hotwire the director's car next time you have to go out." He smiled when his boss leaned back to look at him through the doorway. "Yes, sir. We are paying attention, sir. Thank you." He hung up. "They're handling it." He made his own notes. "You look good with a dog. You should get one," he told George when he came back.

"Maybe I will. The pound always has ones that need love." He kept the dog with him. He was a good dog. Even if he was a bit restless.

Tony came down and looked at the dog. "He's a good boy but he's a bouncy ball of dog like his master is a bouncy ball of boy." He looked at the guard. "We're going for lunch. Are we in lockdown?" That got a nod. "Sure." He went back up there. "We're in lockdown."

Xander sighed and stood up. Then he patted himself down. His father handed him his wallet. "Anywhere in particular?"

"The chicken place," Tony ordered, handing over another thirty dollars. That was a more expensive place.

Xander nodded and went off, knowing they'd let him back in.

***

"Are there any other papers I have to sign on this hand-over?" Gibbs asked a few days later. Xander handed him a small stack and he signed them. He paused before he signed the last one, looking at him. His son smirked. "That's sneaky."

"Look at what they taught me." He took his permission form and walked off happier. "Thanks, dad, I'll behave in Cancun."

Gibbs shook his head. His son was a bastard just like him some days. He signed the last statement and handed it to Ziva, getting a nod. "We'll give him back to you once you get onto the ground in Israel, Officer David. It's been nice working with you."

"You as well, Gibbs." She hauled Ari up and two agents came forward to take him for her. "Thank you as well." She smiled and nodded. "Tell your son I think he's adorable." She walked out, following them.

Tony waited until the elevator closed. "Proves my theory. She likes Xander, she's dangerous."

Kate looked at him. "It could be worse."

"No it can't be."

"Yes it can be. You could be dating her."

"My present girlfriend thinks of Xander like his dog. I doubt it." He looked around. "Xander, school? Getting your stuff off my couch?"

"Going," he called back. "Dad?"

"Be home in time for supper tonight. You're still grounded," he noted patiently.

"Why?" he complained. "I've been a good boy."

"Because you got McGee drunk," he reminded him. "You helping today doesn't negate that fact." His son sighed but nodded and walked off.

Kate looked at him. "How many shots did it take?"

"Three margaritas," he said grimly.

"Ah, the concert. Did we get the parent who bought it for them?"

"No, but she got busted for the pot she was smoking later anyway," Gibbs offered. He looked up at her. "Her son and Craig are dating now."

Tony logged onto his GPS for Xander. "Oh, boss, if we ever need it, I put a subdermal GPS chip on him in Rome." Gibbs laughed at that. "It's under his hair." He turned his monitor around and typed in a code, sending it to the big screen. "See? He's heading to my place." They watched as he parked and got out, staying there for three minutes. Then he was off again. "Hmm. Heading for.... Craig's? McGee?"

He shook his head. "Tyler's. Craig lives two streets over."

"Who's Tyler?"

"The guy he's tutoring in Latin, boss," McGee offered. "They've got a casual, playmate sort of relationship that usually results in messy clothes according to Xander." They watched. "No, that's not. That's... what's her name, the lesbian's house."

"Yeah, her," Tony agreed. "She's a nice girl but she's not more than clothing and 'boy' support for him. His gay boy girlfriend is Abby."

"Huh?" Gibbs asked.

"Most gay men have a female friend they can gossip and get help from," Kate said dryly. "Abby's probably very good at it too." Both younger men nodded. "Where's he going now?"

Tony looked and smirked. "Um, discount porn place before home it looks like. Maybe he ran out of condoms."

"Turn that off," Gibbs complained.

"I would, boss, but he's moving and he's not heading home. Maybe he left the dog at my place." They watched. "Hmm, ho row." Gibbs growled and got up to look. Tony handed him the remote then got out of the way.

Gibbs called his son. "Xander, where are you?" He listened. "How did you...." He snickered and hung up. Gibbs hung up his phone. "He put the chip in Bryon's hair, Tony. That's not him."

"Then why was he at my place?"

"He's sleeping with the landlord?" Kate suggested. She called Xander. "He was at Tony's?" She nodded and hung up, smirking at him. "He thinks you're hot so he slipped a letter under your door."

"Eww. Where is Xander?"

"Getting stuff from your place and cleaning it," Gibbs told him.

Tony rolled his eyes and sat down, shaking his head.

***

Xander looked up from his haze of sex, finding a tall man standing beside him pulling the women off him. "Do you mind?"

"Your father does."

"My father can eat me." He shuddered. "Eww, never mind." Tony smacked him and his vision cleared. "Tony?"

"You're in deep shit. He said you weren't supposed to come."

"He signed the slip."

"Do I care?"

"Yes. He signed the slip."

"So? Come on." Xander waved at the nice people as he was drug off. "No more, Xander. You're already in deep shit over this."

"He signed the slip."

"I don't care. He said you couldn't go. The law of the moment says you're to be in DC and you know how cranky he is."

"I know. He needed to be here, not me."

Tony smacked him again, glaring at him. "Straighten up, Xander, and grow up."

"I'm allowed! I'm sure you've been in these!"

"No, I prefer one or two on one."

"I had that."

"And how many others?" he demanded.

"Um, four?" He shrugged. "I played very safely and I can't let go any other way, okay?" he said at the continued glaring. Tony slumped and shook his head, going back to towing him off. Xander pulled free. "Dad signed the slip and said I could go. It's not my fault he forgot."

He called him. "Gibbs, your son said you signed the slip." He handed it over. "He said he didn't."

"Yes, you did, Dad. Do you want me to have them fax it to you from the ship?" He listened to him complain. "That's not my fault. Then put him on the line during the daytime, dad. He likes to go wander outside." He hung up and handed it back, shaking his head. "I'll be back in four days, Tony."

"No, we're going now, Xander. I'm not having my ass chewed for this. I've covered for other things but not this." He grabbed him again and walked him off again. "Your father is furious."

"He still signed it. I can get them to give you a copy if you want."

"Xander, even if he did, he changed his mind. You're pushing it." He shoved him toward the ship. "Now, pack." He followed him onboard, shaking hands with one of the chaperones. "His father is having him pulled back to DC."

"Is there a problem?"

"His father claims he never signed the permission form." He pulled out that file and let him see it. "Can I get a copy of that?" He nodded and went to do that, bringing it back with Xander. "Thank you. Most likely he forgot or changed his mind. Either way, Xander's wanted back in DC at the moment."

"That's fine. I know he's had a good few days lounging in the sun." He patted Xander on the head. "Should he maybe take a shower?"

"No, we can do that when he gets home."

"I took one," Xander assured him. "I didn't do my hair. I couldn't find my shampoo." He followed Tony back to the car he had rented. Then onto the plane they were using. He came off it hours later and took the permission slip, holding it up in front of his father's face. "That is your signature, father. You signed it. I may have slipped it into the pile but you did sign it." He handed it over. "I'm going home."

"You're right, you are." He glared at him. "I can rescind it and I said it was too dangerous not even five days ago."

"That was me going to the clubs. There was no way your suspect was on a ship surrounded by a thousand teenagers, Dad!"

"My word is still law, Xander."

"You know what, I'll move." He walked off.

"Freeze!"

"Shoot me." He waved and got into the nearest cab, handing over a twenty. "I'm heading to this address," he said, handing over his license. That got a nod and they were off. His father beat him there because he drove like a maniac, but that was fine. He walked past him and his father caught him. "Let go," he said in a cold voice. His father let go and stared at him. "What is so wrong with me going to have some fun? It wasn't like I was drinking."

"No, but the orgy was a bit much," he noted dryly.

"Well, hell, dad, I was relaxed until you sent Tony to humiliate me." He stomped up to his room and started to pull out his bags. His father came in and hauled him off. "Let go!"

"No, quit!" He pushed him against the wall in the hallway. "It was too dangerous for you to go. To the club or out on a cruise and to Cancun. It was too dangerous and I did not sign that."

"You did. You signed it at the office."

"I don't remember that."

"Get a recent head injury?" he asked bitterly. "I slipped it in with some extra paperwork."

"Which is lying."

"It is not."

"It is."

"No, you called it sneaky. It was the last day we had Ari." His father's face tightened. "Or should I see if they can pull up the security tape?"

"You're grounded to the house except for school."

"Why in the hell do I even bother? Not like it's good enough for you."

"You were doing fine until this episode," he said coolly.

"What episode? This is your shit, not mine. You signed the form. That is your signature. There is no way your suspect was on that ship! There were only twenty adults not working on the ship there. Your suspect didn't even have a passport, which we needed to go on that trip." His father opened his mouth. "We did. The paper says that. Speaking of, I may have left mine there."

"Good, not like you're going to need it. You're grounded to the house except for school."

"Why?"

"Because sneaking papers like that is lying."

"No it's not!"

"It is."

"No, it's not. Not by the definitions I've been given."

"By mine it is, Xander. You will live with my rules under my roof."

"Like I said, I can move tonight."

"You leave this house and I'll have you drug back in chains and kept in chains until you graduate."

"That's fine, I'll move and put my stuff in storage when I graduate." He went back into his room then came out and went to get his dog, bringing him back to his room. "Come on, Blackie. We'll relax together before I scream at the unreasonable beings around here." He slammed the door in his face and locked it.

Gibbs took a deep breath to calm himself down. He walked down the stairs and called Ducky. "What am I doing wrong?" he asked quietly. "I had Tony get him." He sat down, letting his oldest friend calm him down. "Am I unreasonable? He claims he slipped it into some paperwork at the office." Ducky agreed with that and quoted him. He slumped. "It's still...." He nodded, holding his head. "Fine. We'll talk it out. Right now he's locked in his room. No, his windows don't open." He nodded. "Thank you, Ducky." He hung up. "Hungry?" He didn't hear anything. "Xander, want something to eat?" Still nothing. He walked back up there, finding the lights on and hearing the dog in there. The door was still locked so he knocked. Then he knocked harder. His son opened the door and sneered at him. "Hungry?" he asked.

"No, I had a few people for dinner." He slammed the door in his face again and locked it again.

"Xander!"

"Fuck off." He sat down to go back to typing into his laptop at Willow. She understood and sympathized, plus he had stuff they needed to know. He finished the battle plans and got a 'thank you' and a 'calm down and talk to him, maybe he's got reasons' from her. He typed back a ' ha' and his laptop was closed. He took it back. "That was Willow, thank you. Not like anyone else out there can make battle plans." He opened it and went back to it. "Do you mind?" he asked finally, glaring at his father. "I'm actually trying to save the world here." His father logged him off and put the laptop near his stereo then hauled him up and downstairs. "Like I said, I can easily leave."

"You're not leaving. It's dinner time."

"I'm not hungry." His father popped him upside the head. "Would you quit that?"

"No. I won't." He put him in his usual seat and put food on the table, putting some onto his plate. Then he sat across from him. "Eat."

"I'm fine."

"You're not fine."

"No, I'm a bit pissed," he noted bitterly. "Did you have to humiliate me because you're having memory problems? Or perhaps this is the game of the week? Someone at the office has a bet on it, like the director?"

"This had nothing to do with her. I do not remember signing that permission slip and it is too dangerous right now to have you out of the area."

"What's going to happen to me? I might not be blown up?" he demanded, standing up. "I don't need this shit. I've got a battle going on back in Sunnydale that I need to be there for and all too much shit on my shoulders. You won't let me snap any other fucking way and now you took the one way I could? Hell no. Fuck this." He walked off, going back up to his room and heading off once he had his wallet, keys, and jacket. When his car wouldn't start he moved to hotwire his father's but it wasn't going to work either.

"I took the batteries out," Gibbs called from the doorway, watching the dog. "Come eat."

"I'll walk."

"We live twenty miles from civilization and you're still grounded."

"Then maybe I won't kill someone when I find it. Blackie, back inside." His dog ran back inside and he hiked off. He got smart and summoned his phone, getting it into his hand. He at least had that if he needed it.

Gibbs gave him ten minutes then put the battery back into his car, undoing the damage Xander had caused. Then he went after him. He found him still hiking. "Get in."

"No."

"Now."

"No." He took a path into the woods, heading for the nearest neighbor's house. He ran into a harmless wood demon and let it pass, ignoring it. He called Willow. "I hate people. I've decided I'm going to kill them all. Wanna help?" She laughed. "I'm not joking, Willow." He sighed and sat down underneath a tree. "No, I'm not a happy person. No, I'm not in Cancun. He had me escorted from Cancun by Tony. Yeah, him." He held his head. "It's not my fault he doesn't remember signing it. Or that he has some delusion that I'm safer here? Hello, what's going to take me? Yeah. We'll see, Willow. Did you get the battle plans?" He nodded. "Why not?" He thumped his head against the tree, dislodging a few leaves. "Okay. Call me if you need me. Yeah. I can do that too. Thanks." He hung up and got up, dusting himself off. He took off walking again.

A bright idea hit him and he patted himself down for the GPS chip. When he found it he took it out and stomped on it. Then he started walking again. He made it to the neighbor's and the bus line that ran that way. He flopped down onto the bus stop's bench, watching for it. It went a few more blocks and turned around. He checked his watch then the little sign that told you when it ran. He groaned. This was the last run out this way. Oh, well. He could stay at a hotel tonight. His father wasn't a big enough bastard to hurt his dog on him. The bus came up and he paid and got on. Then he flopped down again, watching the city go past. He got into the city's center and got off at the main switching station, going down into the subway. He took it out to the section he felt more at home in. He saw Abby watching and slipped around her, heading up into the night smog. He coughed a few times and headed out to the clubs he usually didn't go to. Too hard core for him usually but he needed to wear out the anger and rage before he snapped and really hurt someone. He paid his cover and walked in, letting the bouncer take his pocket knife. "Can I have that back later?"

"Sure, kid. Make sure you know what's yours."

Xander nodded, looking at it before heading to the floor. The music was pounding through him, vibrating every cell. It wasn't helping him any but it was a start. He slowly lost consciousness as he kept going, stopping someone from mugging him but otherwise he was lost in the music. When the lights started to go up he headed out, stopping to get his pocket knife back. His father had given it to him on his last birthday. He checked, he had his wallet, keys, and phone. He was fine. He checked the street, it was pretty quiet. His watch said it was two in the morning, that explained why, and it also gave him a target. He knew where the illegal raves were going to be this month. He headed down that way, walking slowly, confidently.

A few times a cop car passed and he gave them a cordial nod when one slowed down. He found one of the raves but it was sending his 'demon' senses off the charts. He didn't want to get lost in the hunting tonight. He knew he'd slip and hurt someone. He kept going, finding another one. The music floating out when the door opened was just as hard and techno as the last place. He paid the cover and walked in, heading onto the floor. He got a few admirers but he didn't care. He wasn't here for that. He felt someone watching him and ducked into the crowd and out the emergency exit, heading to a different one. He was not going to be snatched tonight. Nor was he going to be identified in the morning by his pocket knife that would probably be stuck in his chest. He wasn't in the mood to fight, he was nearly ready to cry but he wasn't in the mood to fight. He found a smaller rave and headed in. Goth kids. His adopted family. He found a few he knew and went to dance with them. They would keep him safe.

One looked at him and he shrugged then shook his head. That was the universal teen symbol for 'don't ask' and they all knew that. He moved away from them and headed deeper into the floor, getting caught in the current toward the darker corners. He did get out of one but the other one felt comfortable. He let it carry him. He found a vampire there and sneered, shaking his head. "Not happening," he mouthed. "I'm from the hellmouth." The vampire backed off. "Scram." The vampire left and the dark current quit being as strong but still pretty dark. There were some kids in the corner who were cutting and drinking off each other. He noticed one sawing and walked over, flicking open his pocket knife. "You need it sharpened." The girl smiled and cut herself, letting those around her drink. He wiped off his blade and went back to his dancing. He wasn't going to stop them from being stupid. It wasn't his job. That's what friends and parents were for. He got lost in the music, but he was still furious. He still wanted to hunt, kill, stomp something bloody. It was an urge, the baser instincts in him coming out. He spotted a likely prey but he kept himself from going after the baby vampire. He calmed his mind like he had been taught but it wasn't helping. He went back to his friends. "Stop me," he moaned into one's ear. She pulled him closer. "He yelled because he forgot he signed the slip. He had me fetched."

She patted him gently. "It'll be okay. It's momentary."

"I left. He was going to kick me out anyway."

"I've got a couch."

He looked at her. "I'm too mad. I'll hurt someone." She nodded, patting him and letting him go. "I need stopped."

"Then go check into the psych ward."

He shook his head. "Not that way." He gave her a helpless look. She walked him up to the bar, getting him a single glass of wine. He nodded and drank it quickly, and he bought the next round. He finished it and let the warmth slide through him. He went back to his friends and danced with them, letting it go a bit more now. He felt eyes watching him and turned his back to them. He didn't need this tonight. A warmth moved up behind him and he shifted away, swatting back. The warmth moved closer. "Get off," he called.

"No," the voice said in his ear. "You belong to me."

Xander turned, finding a vampire there. "No I don't. I belong to the slayer." The vampire sneered. "I'm from Sunnydale."

"Prove it."

Xander moved his shirt, showing him the bite marks there. "Prove it well enough?" The man sniffed and stiffened, backing away from him. "Ya think?"

"I do. You're him."

"No shit and I'm trying to get happier. I'm not doing slayer duty tonight. Just leave us in peace and we don't have issues." He let his shirt go and crossed his arms. That got a bow and the man walked off. Xander sighed and huffed, then looked at his friends. He looked at the bar, then shook his head, waving at them. "Laters." They all tried to stop him. "I'm getting a room for the night." They nodded. He pulled out his wallet and found it empty. It hadn't been. Someone was good. He snorted and walked off, going to find the vampires. "Listen, did you really have to mug my ass too?" he demanded.

"That is beneath me."

"I so doubt that."

"Fine. Have it back," he said, handing him a folded bill. Xander looked at him. "You don't trust me?"

"No. I had about a hundred and fifty in my wallet plus my birthday present knife. Oh, and my phone." They were all handed back from the minion's pockets. "Thank you. That's way tacky." He walked off, heading to find a cheap motel. He found one that was so fleabag even the pros weren't working it for the most part. He paid for a night and flopped down in his clothes. Someone knocked on the door. "Not up for fun. Go away," he called in Spanish. The knocking person left. He concentrated, clearing his magic before it went off accidentally. The room was much cleaner a few minutes later. Even the sheets underneath him. He stretched out again and tried to relax but it wasn't working. He sat up and looked at his things, especially his phone. He'd normally call Tony if he had a night like this. Since he was on his father's side this time, that wasn't an option. Someone knocked on the door. "Not interested."

"I can feel you," the voice hissed.

Xander got up, bringing the knife with him. He looked at the demon. "Still not interested but good to know I'm radiating. I'll try to shield that." He slammed the door and went back to bed, looking at the knife. It worked for those others. He saw headlights pull in and heard a door slam. Someone tapped a few minutes later. "Busy," he called in Spanish.

"Let me in."

"No." No way in hell he was letting Kate in tonight. "Go away."

"Let me in or else I'm coming in." Xander sighed but didn't move. She used an old credit card on the door and walked in, closing it again. "Why are you here?"

"Because my father's becoming a forgetful, stupid bastard." He looked at her. "You saw him sign that permission slip, right?"

"I heard you snuck it in there. I was about half asleep." She sat on the foot of the bed. "He had you sent for?"

"No, he sent Tony after me. Drug me out of the party I was in and then home. I'm fucking moving in the morning. I don't need this shit." He looked down again. She took the knife. "I was wondering what the kids who cut themselves get out of it."

"Release." She looked at him. "You shouldn't have those problems." He shrugged negligently. "Come on, you can have my couch. That way he won't worry."

He looked at her. "I don't need it, Kate. Stay out of it before he blames you too." He took his knife back. "I'm not going to harm myself."

"Stupidity is nearly as deadly as being suicidal. Come on, Xander. You can even borrow my shower."

"I have one here. I'm fine." She gave him a look. "I'm serious. I'm fine. How did you find me?" She pointed at his phone. He sighed and took out the extra GPS chip, handing it to her. "Go home, Kate. It's late and you're due in really early," he said quietly. "Before he decides you're taking my side and gets you too."

"He's not like that."

"Yeah he is. Go." She stood up. "Now."

"Knife."

"I might need it."

"You can defend yourself without it." He handed it over. "Thank you." She gave him a look. "You sure?"

"Yeah, I'm fine for the night." She nodded and left, going to report it to the boss. He waited until she was gone then asked to be switched rooms for the night since he had been found by the enemy. The manager smiled. "I cleaned it." That got a nod and he switched him to a room in the back. Xander settled in to clean this one. If he had to wear himself out, he would. Scrubbing was a good way to wear out frustration and rage. Especially when the bathtub was that nasty.

***

Gibbs knocked on the motel room door then he sighed and pulled out his wallet.

A woman next door leaned out. "You looking for the little fish?" He nodded. "He moved out back. Some woman came to visit him last night and he moved like they were all evil."

"To him they are. Which room?"

"Not a clue, cutie."

He nodded. "Thanks." He headed that way, going to find his son if he had to knock on every single door in this place. He found the maid looking at one door and frowning. "My son?"

"Someone's son but he's not a young one. He's your age," she said, looking at him. "Not the first it got too bad for." She went to the office to call someone to pick up the body.

Gibbs glanced then looked at the maid when she came back. "My son's about eighteen, dark haired? Angry. Wearing black?"

"Cleaning boy. He's in 212. Need let in? He a runaway?"

"Misunderstanding." He walked that way and knocked. No answer. He let himself in with a hard turn and a jiggle of the knob and walked in. His son was asleep. It wasn't a restful sleep but he was asleep. He closed the door and sat down in the rickety chair, watching over him. His son calmed and settled into a deeper sleep. He waited a few hours, watching the room's lights shift and change. He heard the clean up crew come from the ME's office. His son stirred at that noise but didn't do more than flip over. Someone knocked on the door around ten and he got up, looking at him. "What?"

"If he's staying he needs to pay for another day." He paid him. "Thank you." He walked off, going to sign him in for another night.

Gibbs sat down again, looking at the body on the bed. He hadn't woken up. It gave him time to think and study his son's body. He was still too tense. Like he expected to be hit by someone. He got up and snuck over to the bed, sitting beside him. His son curled up with his head on his chest, one hand on his stomach, and drifted off again like nothing would trouble him. He waited. He was good at waiting. His son finally woke up. "Morning," he said quietly.

"Why are you here?"

"I should be here. You walked off. I was trying to talk and you walked off."

"You're a judgmental asshole."

"I can be," he agreed. "I've never hid that, Xander."

"You still signed the slip."

"I don't remember doing it and I didn't openly or intend to sign it. Cancun is dangerous. Even you could've been attacked."

"I could be attacked in school."

"I head about the basketball player you stopped from hurting those two girls last semester," he agreed quietly. "Good job." He got a shrug for it. "Does Tony have to say it for you to believe I mean it?"

"Maybe." He sat up and shifted to look at him. "I'm not twelve. I can actually handle myself."

"Tony said you didn't recognize him when he walked in."

"I was in the middle of sex!"

"So?" He looked at him. "You could have been killed, Xander. There was another homicide down there while you were down there."

"Yeah, on the other side of town, by the boat. We were kept on it while they cleaned the scene. We all knew that. I got to answer some of my classmate's questions about what they were doing."

"Good. Maybe we'll get another really good CSI some year." He leaned forward, making him look at him. "How much did you drink?"

Xander moved his face away from him. "Two glasses of wine. Didn't help."

"I'm sorry."

"Yay."

"And that's it for you?" he asked. "I make one big decision and that's all?"

"No. You're still my father," he noted quietly. "It doesn't mean I need the unreasonable demands being made on me. I'm seventeen, not twelve. I've had sex plenty of times, Jethro. It wasn't my first orgy either. Hate to burst that bubble."

"They're dangerous."

"So's breathing the air down at the shipyard with all the smog."

"That's mostly cigarette smoke."

"It's smog."

"Fine. It's smog," he agreed mildly. "It was still wrong to sneak that into the paperwork. I expected you to come to me openly."

"I deserved it! Do you realize what the hell I passed this year? Me! Me who couldn't pass Algebra before with Willow doing my homework when that was eighty percent of my grade!"

"I'm proud you did," he agreed calmly. "I'm very proud of what you've accomplished. I've never been anything but proud of you until you used me that way, son."

"Used you?"

"To get to Cancun."

"I hate to tell you this, Jethro, but I wanted to go with my fellow students, those people who I hang out with. I could've hop on a plane anytime and go to Cancun if I had wanted to go. The same as going to Ireland. That was something for us to make memories on and to be with our fellow students, those who appreciate the same sort of fun we have."

"It's still not safe."

"I'm safer than ninety percent of the people there!" He stood up and looked at him. "Look at me, Jethro. It's not like I can't defend myself. I can and have defended myself and your ass. And Tony's and Kate's and Abby's. The only one I haven't had to defend was McGee. That's mostly because no one wants to hurt Tim." His father's face hardened. "Yeah, remember, I'm the one in active training," he spat.

"So don't go back this summer."

"And do what instead?" he asked dryly. "Hang out at the office? Yeah, because that's not like a jail."

Jethro sighed and looked at him. "Part of the reason it's so dangerous is because of your training, Xander. You could have killed someone."

"I nearly did kill someone last night because I couldn't let go. Even with the alcohol." His father groaned. "Thanks greatly for taking that from me too. Anything else? I'm going to go find breakfast and find an apartment."

"You're not leaving." He looked up at him again. "Sit."

"No."

"Sit and I'll order food."

"I'm not taking shit from you." His father stood up. "What? Going to slap me now?"

"The urge is there," he noted calmly. "You know I'd never hurt you, son."

"No I don't."

"Yes, you do."

"No, I don't. Where's my dog?"

"On his line. Where he should be. Admittedly, he spent most of last night on it as well. I fed him and he's fine." He sat his son down and sat across from him again. "If you wanted to go for that reason, why didn't you explain it that way?"

"I thought you understood," he said bitterly.

"Apparently not. The last time I was on a ship with two hundred people I was on a battle cruiser going somewhere with my unit." Xander shook his head. "What?"

"That's why you won't try to understand, isn't it? Because I won't go into the military?"

"I don't want you in the military, Xander. You're dangerous."

"Only when I'm that pissed," he said darkly, glaring at him. His father popped him on the head. "Do you mind!"

"I'm trying to break it."

"Yeah, well, you're making it grow." He got away from him. "I can move."

"You may not move."

"I will be eighteen in a few more weeks, I'll be moving."

"You will not be moving, Alexander." Xander glared at him. "I want you at home, where it's safer."

"Than what? A battlefield?"

"It was fine until six days ago."

"You still signed it."

"It doesn't matter," he said coolly. He made his son come closer again. "It does not matter whether or not I did sign the slip. It matters that Cancun is dangerous. Since I sent Tony down to get you there's been another two homicides. Did you ever think you were in danger there?"

"I'm in danger anywhere I'm standing or sitting if people find out what I can do and where I'm from," he snorted. "Sunnydale is one of those places that plenty of people would kill me to see if they could gather any power I hold." His father shuddered. "I was probably the safest ever in Sunnydale itself."

"I don't want our cases to impact you."

"There's been three this year, Jethro. That's less than the times they've followed Tony home or hit him on the head," he said facetiously. He saw the hand twitch. "I swear, you hit me and I will slug you back." His father calmed himself again. "What started off this panic, Jethro? Two weeks ago you reminded me to buy sunscreen."

"The new round of homicides."

"And yet we've had how many here in DC since then?"

"Here you've got protectors."

"I'm not an infant!"

"No you're not," he agreed quietly. "But everyone, even me, needs some protection now and then. Or else Kate wouldn't have a new scar on her neck." Xander stiffened at that. "You haven't let that go, have you?"

"Let what go?"

"That you nearly killed him and everything in you was screaming for you to do it."

"No. Not that I haven't had *ample* opportunity since then." He stood up and looked at his father. "I'm fine. I need to unwind and I was doing that with the only method left to me, sex. I was nearly to the point where I had it fully unraveled and I could let go and just enjoy things again and you had to send Tony after me." His face fell. "Yeah. All because you think I'd be a target when I'm in bigger danger here because so many of the goth kids know I'm from Sunnydale and it can get back to the wrong people. Or people who, oh my god, want to take out any of the trainees. I know very well three of us were assassinated recently and I know who did it. It was the assassins class. They were thinning the herd according to them when the ones responsible were stopped by Patrick and the others. They only went after the ones who were staying." His father glared at him. "Yeah, we talk often. Patrick has some respect for me. He has since I nearly killed him for trying to kill me in my sleep." Gibbs nodded at that. "Again, I can protect myself ninety-six percent of the time."

"And the other four?"

"Then I'm not stupid enough to walk out of the house."

Gibbs stood up. "Sometimes it's not stupid. You've missed a lot of school this semester."

"Yay. Yet I'm passing still. Hmm. And I got into Georgetown without your name or my extra training being noted. Also, since you don't have formal custody papers, I can go on financial aid." His father stiffened. "They can consider me an orphan since nothing anywhere says you're my father. Even if it is true, without the legal paperwork they consider me kicked out at sixteen. By their definition I'm living with a nice person who has a spare bedroom. That makes me an independent student and able to sign for my own financial aid. Which means I can live in the dorms and still eat." His father started to move and he caught his arm. "You haven't made your case yet, Jethro. You don't get to start this fight and stomp off like a girl. I'm the gay one."

Jethro moved the hand off his arm and looked at his son. "Don't do that. I'm just as trained as you are to react."

"Then maybe we should go at it so you quit worrying like Ducky's mom."

"Why does she worry about you?"

"She thinks I'm her other son."

"He died when he was twenty-three."

"Yeah, what a shock. You wanna go, we'll go."

"Not here. Work."

"Fat chance. Not with Sheppard there. She'll nark."

"Will you ever forgive her?"

"No," he said simply. "Never. Just think if she hadn't narked I might be the delicate little boy you think I am."

"I knew you weren't delicate when you refused to go to the nearest hospital after Angel attacked you." He nodded. "We'll go home and do it in the woods."

"Fine." He swallowed. "If I win?"

"Then I might unground you by the end of this year."

"I don't see how I deserve it for you having signed it and me going to do something fun and non-violent. That's what you want, isn't it? Me to be a normal guy?"

"I'd love it but you're angrier than anyone I've ever met."

"Then I'll let you have protection and I won't use a weapon." Gibbs nodded and they left. He waved at the motel owner. "I'll be back." That got a nod.

"No you won't."

"Yeah, I will. Especially if the unreasonable shit continues."

"Quit swearing."

"I think I've earned the right."

"I don't. I know Marines who've fought in three wars who don't swear as much as you."

"I don't swear unless I'm mad."

"Yeah, and?"

"Never mind." He looked out the window. They parked and he looked at the mustang, than at him. "Needed backup?"

"He was worried about you. You didn't call."

"Of course I didn't. I'm not going to tell the fucking nark anything when he's on your side and you're being unreasonable."

"Woods, son." Xander sighed and put his jacket on the hood of the car, heading that way to pick the spot. "DiNozzo, we're going to talk in the woods. Keep the dog in there. With you." He walked off, following him. His son finally stopped and turned to face him. It wasn't a great clearing but it was enough and there weren't too many natural weapons laying on the ground. He waved. "Come on."

"You wanted it," Xander told him. "I don't attack first." Gibbs looked shocked at that. "Hmmm. Been listening to your bitch again? That was her issue last week." He waved him on. "Come on. You think I'm helpless, prove it." Gibbs attacked and Xander blocked him, driving him back for a few steps then being driven back. He let himself fall into the same mindset he used when he was sparring in class, give and take, defending his side of the clearing but not trying to take more ground. His father started to sweat and he realized he was, spin kicking and ducking back, taking the opportunity to take off his shirt and wipe off his face. He still used it to block the next blow and drove him back a few more steps before tossing it off to the side. He saw someone else coming and called out in a common demon tongue, knowing that there were a few demons in these woods. "We're only sparring." He winced as one kick got through then attacked faster, letting it go now. All the anger and rage got tapped into and a little bit drained while he drove his father back. He finally stood his ground, body in a ready stance, watching his opponent. His father panted, staring at him. "Satisfied?"

"What did you call out?"

"I thought it was one of the wood demons. I warned him we're sparring."

Jethro nodded. "You got a few good hits in but you were still pulling your punches."

"I don't when my life is in danger."

"I realize that," he said, looking at his son. "Relax, we're done."

"Hold," Tony called. Xander relaxed and stretched against a tree. "Good job."

"Still think I'm too big a princess to look out for myself?" he sneered, grabbing his shirt and shaking it clean before putting it back on. He looked at his father. "I'm going back to Cancun tonight. Anything else?"

His father stood up. "You can have that same sort of fun up here, son."

"No, I can't. Surprisingly enough I can't." He bowed, making it look sardonic. "Now if you'll excuse me I need to pack my shit."

"You're not leaving," Gibbs said, blocking him. He looked into his eyes. "You're still not letting all that rage out."

"You're alive, that would be a true statement." He looked at his father. His father backed off. "Anything else? I'll be back in time for school."

"No, you can hit school Monday. Until then we're going to talk, Xander. You need it."

"No, I don't. You need to start seeing some reality, Jethro. I'm not a baby!"

"You proved that very well but you still don't have the emotional control you need to keep yourself from hurting someone." He moved closer again and his son backed off. "That's not going to work forever."

"Yay." He walked around them and headed inside to pet his dog. "I'm sorry I left you with him for so long, Blackie. Maybe you can come to Mexico with me." His dog gave him adoring looks and followed him up to his room, where he started to pack again. His dog gave him pitiful looks. "You're coming." The dog laid down and Xander put his favorite bone into the bag too, getting a happy bark. "He'd yell at you for doing natural things," he sighed, sitting down to pet him. "Like you needing out when he's got you locked in the basement with the boat." The dog crawled into his lap, letting him cuddle him. "I love you too, dog. You're a good friend." Someone tapped. "No."

"It's me," Tony called.

"The answer's still the same."

The door opened. "I came in to give you this," he offered, handing back the pocket knife. "I got it off Kate."

Xander put it into the bag. "Thank you." He looked at him. "Anything else."

Tony closed the door. "You're destroying him, Xander. He's already lost one family. He's already lost a few exes too."

"That's not my fault," he said quietly.

"In this case it's both your faults. You're stronger than his exes were. You can get him past this point; that point is what drove them off too."

Xander shook his head, looking down at his dog. "I'm not a wife. I'm his son. I'm not helpless. I'm not weak. I'm angry because he's taken away every single way I had of letting it out. Even after that I'm not out of it."

"How were you wearing it out?" he asked, moving a suitcase and sitting on the foot of his bed, resting against the footboard.

"Before, I'd go lube myself mentally with a few drinks and let it phase out with some music and fun."

"Okay. And he stopped that?" Xander nodded. "Do you understand why?"

"It's not like it was a habit!"

"If you were doing it more than once a month, it was."

"I didn't have set intervals, just when things started to overload me. I went nearly a whole semester once without needing it." He looked down again, going back to petting his dog. "You need brushed."

"He didn't I'm sure. So he stopped it because that's the first rationalization on the road to alcoholism." Xander glared at him. "It is. You've seen it up close and personal."

"That's why I'd never turn into them. Yeah, maybe two or three times a month I had four, five drinks. That's all. I didn't get shitfaced drunk and if I got too loose I stopped myself. I told you this."

"You did," he agreed. "I'm making sure you remember it. What was the second way?"

"Sex."

"Which can be dangerous, especially with those you choose," he noted dryly, curling his feet up so he was more comfortable. "How many times have you gotten that one to work?"

"Four or five since I've been here," he admitted. "I was nearly there when you decided you should carry a club."

"If I had known I would've let you alone for an extra hour or so." He reached over to pet the dog. "What about earlier? You turned on the whoop ass switch on him."

"I did and it didn't work."

"That means that you've got it blocked and we've got to get rid of it before you become one of those things we hunt," he said quietly.

"I'm trying!" he shouted.

"I know you are," he agreed calmly and quietly. "Calm down. You're upsetting your dog." Xander calmed himself down and went back to petting his dog again. "Thank you." He swallowed. "If I took you to a really great brothel and let ten, twelve people have you, could you wear it out?"

"I honestly don't know. With the way you drug me out of there it added to it and I was already at the overload spot with that one kid."

"What kid?"

"I stopped one of my fellow seniors from raping three girls he had tied up."

"Good. Excellent job," he praised calmly. "You wanted to kill him?"

"I nearly killed him. That's when I realized I was overloaded again."

"You need better sensors." He stood up. "Come on. Leave this. He's not going to touch it."

"I don't think I can."

"Why? You've trusted me for years now, Xander."

"Yeah, and then you pulled me out of there like I'm some brainless little child who doesn't know what I was doing." He looked down at his dog. "You broke the trust I had."

"Are you going on a one-strike policy?"

"No. Not at the moment," he said honestly.

"Then trust me for today." He wiggled his fingers. "Come on. Let the dog nap in the luggage." Xander put down his dog. "Blackie, I'll bring him back and he'll cuddle." The dog barked so he smiled and petted him. "I promise. I'll bring him back and he'll be okay." He opened the door, finding Jethro in the halls. "I'll have him back in a few hours, boss." He walked Xander out. "Come on." He took Xander out to his car. "Open the glove box and put on the mask," he ordered as he pulled out.

"It's a secret?"

"Yup." Xander sighed but did as ordered. Tony took him where he went when the world went over his head and he felt like he was drowning. He checked the blindfold, finding the boy nearly asleep. "Xander, we're here. Keep it on." Xander nodded, letting him get out and come around to help him out. "You're going to talk to someone who's very experienced in this stuff. I trust this person with my soul. Do you understand?" Xander hesitated but nodded. "Good. This isn't very common for me but now and then I've got to come here too. I start to feel like I'm drowning." Xander sighed and slumped, nodding. "You are never to get this bad again, Xander. You'll have a lot of other options once this is out of you." He walked him inside and handed the bouncer something. His key was checked and got a nod. "This is Xander. He's Gibbs' son." Xander made a protesting noise. "Total honesty, Xander. I mean it. No one here will say anything."

"Okay," he said quietly.

"Good boy." The bouncer nodded and let him into a room to wait. Tony nodded at the person coming in. "This is Xander."

"So I was told." He sat down. "Why bring him to me?"

"He's to the point of drowning. His usual methods aren't working. He's tried both and it's not working. I interrupted one but that was after probably three hours in an orgy."

"I've been to that point," he admitted. "The other?"

"Some mental lube and letting it out while he had fun. His father stopped that one."

"That's what some good parents do. Leave us." Tony nodded and backed out, leaving them. "Take it off." Xander took off the blindfold and checked his surroundings before him. "You're trained," he noted. "How?"

Xander sat across from him. "First, survival in a house of drunks. Then hunting in Sunnydale, I hunted with a slayer. Then I moved with my father and the CIA took me in for some pre-agent training." He looked at his hands. "Things just keep building and I can't let it go. Dad won't let me do it my way and the other way wasn't working this time." He looked up again. "Dad and I sparred earlier so I could prove to him I wasn't a helpless little person and I couldn't even wear it out that way," he admitted calmly. "I will end up hurting the next person who jumps me."

"Understood." He stood up and held out a hand. "Come. Tony trusts me," he said when his hand wasn't taken. "I can make you wear it out this time. Then you and Tony will work on how to relieve it more often so things quit piling up." Xander took his hand and stood up, walking out with him.

***