Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


Tony walked Xander back into the house, guiding the sleepy boy up to his room. He found everything back in place where it should be and all the laundry cleaned and put away. Even if the dog was on the bed. He put the boy onto his side and took off his shoes, getting a sleepy mumble. "You sleep, Xander, then we'll talk," he whispered. Xander nodded and clutched his dog like a teddybear. He walked out, closing the door. He turned and found Gibbs there. "Downstairs."

"Where did you take him?"

"To the person who helps me when I get overloaded. Downstairs." He headed that way, getting a beer on the way. He took his usual spot on the stairs, letting Gibbs go past him and sit down in the old recliner in the basement. "He was overloaded. So strongly that he fought back for a few minutes," he admitted, popping it open. He took a drink and put it beside him. "He's better now."

"How?"

Tony shrugged. "However he decided was best. I don't know. I don't need to know. I know how it works for me and I know that we're going to have to help him learn to relieve that stuff sooner. He's storing stress from back in Sunnydale still, Gibbs." He clutched his hands and looked at him. "He was honest. He was going to hurt someone. Soon. He couldn't let enough of it go earlier with you." Gibbs nodded at that, taking a drink of his own beer. "He needs to quit categorizing. That's one problem I noticed. It's bordering on a different person when he's in danger or in a crisis, or even hunting, as opposed to what he's like in the normal life stuff. Then you caught the one thing that could make him explode and self-combust, his fear that he would never be good enough for you and that you were only humoring him or watching him to see what he was good for," he finished quietly, looking at him. "He's good on physical training, right?"

"They said field medicine, electronics, that stuff."

"That might be a good idea. He's got some tight bonds with some of them."

"He said he still talks to Patrick now and then," he admitted, taking another drink. "How long will this one last?"

"Depends on how strong the desire and the need to protect and hunt get. With the battle coming up he's worried about that. He was right about one thing. He hasn't had a lot of fun this year," he said quietly. "Last year he got to play a lot more than this year. He's had some hellish classes that he spent a number of nights awake studying for. He didn't understand a word they said. He was parroting it back. That's how he settled it to minimize the stress before he snapped then. This semester, his gay art class isn't very happy for him. It's not linking with what he thinks it means to be gay so he's frustrated and railing against the teacher." Gibbs nodded slowly at that. "That could be a clash of ideals. It could be that the teacher is going on and on about how it's wrong and that stuff. How this is perverted the art world, which he does about every Monday."

"He has it Monday and Thursday."

"Uh-huh," he agreed, picking up his beer to take a drink. "Then you add into it the stress of finding those three girls tied up and no one wanting to listen to him. Until he forced one of the security guards in there at gun point. Then he believed him and called someone. They identified the student and Xander pointed him out for the cops, which meant the kid came after him when he made bail. So there's an assault charge added later on that got it revoked." He took another swallow and put it back down. "Then the pressure Sheppard is subtly putting on him about being a disgrace to you because he's gay and being trained by them. On top of our cases, which he helps with whenever he's in. Plus the stuff with Kate and Ari." He pressed his lips together and looked around then back at him. "Kate said he was wondering what kids who cut themselves get out of it but he wasn't going to go there. I'm going to add a yet if he ever gets this bad again."

"Would me not letting him go back there help?"

"I honestly don't know," he admitted. "To him that's like Job Corps."

"Oh." He finished his beer and reached over, taking Tony's to finish. "Anything else?"

"Since the thing with the rapist, none of his playmates will play with him. He's been flying solo and going to hang with the goth kids more often. Then again, they know who he really is and it's possible that it could put him in more danger if certain...things found out. For right now, I think he needs the rest. He hasn't had any recently," he offered. "Then he needs a good meal. Then he needs his father back because you've gotten to the same point you did with your exes, Gibbs. To the point where you're pushing him away. It's not helping him any. He was more than serious. He will move and they'll have him back within a few days. You'll lose your son the same way you lost the others." Gibbs glared at him. "I'm being honest, Gibbs. Did you want me to coddle you when I can't do it to Xander?"

"You could. He's always went to you."

"That's because you're this scary guy who expects things from him. I'm only the fantasy he's had for a while. My praise means as much as yours does to him but for different reasons. You don't praise. If he gets some from you it's as rare as an eclipse."

"That's how..."

"I know. That's how you were raised and trained. I get that. He gets that. That's why he looks to others for praise and encouragement. Namely me." He took a deep breath. "Some day he'll find some nice guy who'll take my place. He'll break the crush and he'll move on. Then we'll all breathe easier as long as he's a nice guy. Until then, we've got to find a way for him to release that. Without killing him."

"Then we do what?"

"Then we support him just like we do any other kid, Gibbs. He's just a normal senior. He wants to have fun. He wants to date and do fun stuff and get into mild trouble. We're doing a good job for the most part. You're an incredible father. Up until things started to pile up and no one but McGee noticed."

"How did he know?"

"I asked, he mumbled something about his junior year in college. I'm guessing even the huge geek brain of his got overloaded there for a bit. Your son's had a course load that has broken others."

"He has. I'm proud of him. I told him that."

"Yeah, but by the time you told him that he was already halfway to drowning, Gibbs. He needs to relax. That's why he wanted to go to Cancun." He heard a door slam. "I think he's up. Or he could be gone now." He got out of the way while Gibbs checked, smiling when the sounds of a grumpy Xander being walked back to bed floated down. Gibbs came back ten minutes later. "He good?"

"Fast asleep." He flopped down again, looking at him. "Would this be the cause of headaches?"

"Either that or he needs glasses. Ask him later." He shrugged. "He'll probably answer. He should be in a more pliant and reasonable mood later if you would be. If you stress him back out again, he'll snap and leave." He stood up. "I can stay if you want."

"Please. I think we need a neutral being."

"Sure, but I'm not going to be neutral. You heard him earlier. He didn't come to me because I went down there for you. I nearly lost his trust totally."

"So you're like his mom?" he asked dryly.

"Not hardly. He's not got anything Freudian in him." He gave him a look. "I'm the fantasy that he's had for years, Gibbs. Think back when you were a teenager. Didn't you have one?"

"Or two. A few movie stars." Tony just grinned. "You're not that cute."

"I know. Let me guess, Beach Blanket Bingo?"

"No comment." He shifted and listened to the house. "The dog's moving." Tony hopped up and went to check on him, letting him out to use the yard. Then he went back up there to cuddle with his master. Tony came back. "They good?"

"Blackie needed to use the yard." He sat down again, handing Gibbs the beer he had gotten on his way through the kitchen, popping his own. "He's still fast asleep. It's time to set some priorities with him, boss."

"I want him to try his best in school and be happy. If the training isn't, then he doesn't have to go back. I'm against him going back."

"He knows." He took a sip and looked at him. "What about his internships?"

"If he wants. If not, I'd like it if he got some sort of summer job."

"That's reasonable but I'm sure he'd rather travel."

"Probably. He seems to like to travel."

"The world is a wide and wonderful place. What you got in the Marines going to different places, he goes without the troop around him."

"I had plenty of times wandering on my own," he admitted. "I liked to travel."

"Then go with him. Take a family vacation. You were thinking about taking one, take one."

"He seems to like to go places with you."

"I wouldn't mind if you went with me," Xander admitted as he came down. He took Tony's beer to sip, grimacing. "Nasty cheap crap. The beer in Ireland is better."

"It's always better when it's native," Tony noted, grinning at him. "Have a good nap?" Xander nodded, resting against his shoulder. "We good again?"

"I'm still mad you busted in there like you owned me. Until you're sinking into my ass every day, you don't have that right."

"Agreed. Next time I'll show a lot more tact."

"Thank you." Xander yawned and snuggled in. "Sorry, I'm still really tired."

"You can nap. We can talk in the morning."

"You paid for the room."

"So it'll go to someone else who could use it for the night," he offered. He leaned forward. "If you're that tired, go to sleep, son."

"If I do, I'll have more nightmares." He blinked hard. "Sorry."

"What nightmares?"

"I had some math numbers attacking me last night." He shrugged. "It happens."

Gibbs got up and came to stand his son up, looking at him. "Nightmares?" Xander shrugged. "Fighting, hunting nightmares? Training nightmares? Ari nightmares?"

"D, all of the above?" Tony guessed. Xander nodded, sitting down again. "Then we can work on those. What else is keeping you from working right?"

"I don't know," he admitted, sounding tired now. "Must we do this?"

"I told you to go take a nap and we'd talk tomorrow," Gibbs reminded him. "You're the stubborn one." Xander gave him a dirty look. "Let's narrow this down. Do you want to go back there for training this summer?" Xander shrugged. "Is that an I don't care or I don't know?"

"I don't know. I may not care. I need what they're going to teach me and they'll pay for my college."

"I think we can work that out through the financial aid department, son."

"Still need it," he noted.

"You could learn it in college or from Ducky for the field medicine stuff."

"No I can't. Ducky talks too much and I'm a hands-on guy." He yawned again and rested against Tony's shoulder, making him smile. "For me?"

"Yup, just for you." He put an arm around him, letting him snuggle in properly. "This is your choice. Do you want to go back there to train this summer?"

"I don't know. So many things are going wrong."

"I know. What did you tell them?"

"That."

"Okay. Then how about we go somewhere together?" Gibbs suggested. "After graduation and after the mess in Sunnydale is over with." Xander perked up some at that. "Wherever you want to go. You've earned it and that can be your graduation present instead of the new electronics I was going to get you."

Tony nudged him. "He was going to replace your tv and your stereo if you wanted."

"Can we hit somewhere in Asia? Somewhere kinda mysterious but with places to look and go 'ooh' over?"

"We can," Gibbs agreed. "We'll figure that out. Take a week off." Xander grinned at that and his stomach clenched. He hadn't seen that smile all year. "You were right, I shouldn't have let Tony come down there like that. Those were my orders to drag you off." Xander yawned and nodded. "Now, about this moving out crap?"

"Are you going to stay reasonable?"

"I'd like to try."

"Then I'll stay." He closed his eyes. "I need a new boyfriend."

"I heard." Gibbs leaned forward, tugging on his pantsleg. "You can talk to me about that stuff too you know." Xander nodded. "Older guys?"

"Not greatly older. Just slightly older so they're more steady and can still have fun." He closed his eyes again. "They're nicer and they're more gentle and they don't do juvenile shit like play games with me."

"Who did that?" Gibbs asked.

"I ended up going out with mega-jock man, Bryon."

"The guy from the first day of school?" Tony asked. Xander nodded. "What happened?"

"It was okay for a few weeks then he decided he wanted to play. We played now and then with some handcuffs and he added a blindfold that night. I wasn't supposed to know it wasn't him. I could tell it wasn't him. He wasn't as loose and his blow job didn't suck as well. No pun intended. Bryon gives crappy blows. I'm better and I have to fight my gag reflex. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Bryon taped it because I heard the camera's case click shut and the tape buttons being pushed. Then I got a second blow that was definitely him. I faced down the other kid a few weeks later and pointed out that if he had wanted me all he had to do was ask nicely and go out with me. He freaked, Bryon is making my life a living hell with the other jocks. The other gay kids are calling me a slut." He shrugged. "Not like I slept with a teacher."

"No, you didn't. You passed those classes without it and I'm proud," Gibbs assured him. "I only wanted you to try the best you could, Xander." Xander gave him a gentle, soft smile. "Did you kick Bryon's ass?"

"In front of two other jocks and one really gossipy cheerleader, who got the whole story and the tape is supposedly destroyed. But it's still ruining both our reps."

"I'm sorry. At least there's only a few more months to go."

"Yup and I'll be back in Sunnydale."

"Not unless there's no other way," Gibbs said firmly.

Xander looked at him. "Are you volunteering a few companies of Marines?" He shook his head. "Then I'll be back in Sunnydale for a few days." He closed his eyes again. "I've done the battle plans and sent them over."

"I saw. They were good. Willow wanted advice in moving something depending on where they face him down."

Xander snuggled in and wrapped his arms around his pillow's waist. "He'll do it during the eclipse. Graduation day."

"It is?" Tony asked. Xander nodded. "Where will the Mayor be?"

"I'm thinking there. It'll be the only place that'll have people he can eat because he's going to be a hungry giant demon."

"How do you kill it?"

"Rip it apart."

"How?" Gibbs asked again.

"I don't know yet. Depends on if he's going to be at graduation or not. And what we can sneak in. Tired, go over that tomorrow."

"Okay. Are you sure about Georgetown?" Xander nodded. "Did they accept you? I haven't seen a letter."

"I hung it on the fridge."

"It wasn't there that I've seen."

"Stupid bastards who're training me," he muttered. "They sent me a card."

"I'm going to kick their asses, son, you mind?" He shook his head. "Good. Then there's about to be some ground rules set." He got up. "Want to sleep under the boat?"

"It'll fall on me."

"It doesn't on me."

"It likes you. I've had to sand corners down because you're mean to my dog."

"Point. Let's get you somewhere more horizontal."

"Bad nightmares."

"I'll go get my DVD player and a few movies. You can nap on the couch and we'll sit in there, how about that?" Tony offered quietly. Xander shrugged. "Action?"

"Sleepy girly movies?"

"Son, if I'm going to watch them they can't be that girly."

"I know what to get." Xander let him go and trudged that way, the dog following him. He didn't like the basement anymore apparently. Tony stood up. "Classics? Bogart?"

"That'd be fine," he decided. "I'll make dinner. You get a bag of chips." Tony nodded. "Get more beer too?"

"Sure, boss." He went to do that. Gibbs went up to let his son nap on his thigh, it was keeping him calm and keeping some of the nightmares away. For now.

***

Kate looked up as Tony and Gibbs came in together the next morning. "Why does it look like neither of you slept?"

"Because his son has PTSD so bad he's not sleeping more than thirty minutes at a time," Tony told her. "Even if we were." She groaned. "He's fine now. We've worked it out. He'll be in later to help Abby in the lab for a few hours since his class is entirely on break but him and two others. Then they're going to lunch and comparing lists of where in Asia Xander might want to go to for his trip from his father for graduation."

"Are we still getting him ours?" McGee asked. Gibbs nodded. "Is he okay now?"

"No. He's in because I've got to go to Langley and set down some boundaries. They took his acceptance letter off the fridge." He finished what he needed to do. "New case?"

"Not yet. We'll call you," Kate promised. He nodded and headed out with his coffee and his sidearm. She looked at Tony. "That bad?"

"Um, yeah. Oh, Probie, can you mark it on our calenders that we have to have the fifteenth off? Xander's got to testify in the trial of the rapist he stopped at school and then was assaulted by."

"Excuse me?" the director asked from the stairs behind him. "The boy did what?"

Tony turned his chair around to look at her. "He walked into an empty classroom to have a moment of peace and quiet and found three tied up girls, Director. He had to get pushy to get anyone to believe him. If I heard right he pulled his sidearm on the guard and made him go in there to check with him. That got the girls an ambulance and the police. The police used him to point out which kid when they identified the suspect by name. Xander pointed him out during lunch. Everyone there knows he's Fed Junior, as they put it, so that part didn't get him into trouble but the kid made bond and came after him. Xander kicked his ass when the kid pulled a knife and had him rearrested. His trial's starting the tenth and they're expecting to need Xander on the fifteenth. Since this is his first one, his father thought he could use the moral support and some coaching. Plus some wardrobe help so he doesn't wear the kilt in."

"Kilt?" she asked.

"Abby talked him into it," Kate said, waving a hand. "She helped him buy one in her grandmother's tartan and made him wear it one day last year during his internship." Tony produced a picture. "Of course you have one."

"Of course I do. I also have one of him with his certificate that we took well after the day was over with." He handed it over. "That kilt."

She took it to look over. "I wondered why there was an amendment to the local office's dress code that said no kilts, no leather, and no mesh tank tops."

"Abby had taken Xander shopping during lunch. Since he didn't have a locker, all he had was the leather and t-shirts or a mesh tank top she had made him buy," McGee told her happily, smiling even. "He does look quite lethal in it."

"He does. He's also looking for a new boyfriend. Since that incident and the thing with Kate, all his friends have quit playing with him," he told McGee. "So if you know a guy about my age..."

"I'll pass that to some friends. I do actually know a few gay guys your age." He shook his head and typed out an email, sending it to his other account so he could send it later.

"He goes for older men?" Kate asked. Tony nodded. "I thought it was just you."

"No, he said it'll give him a bit more security and they don't do juvenile crap like some of the other kids he's dated. He's looking for someone about ten steps down from the daddy figure."

"Okay, so slightly older and still fun enough to play with him, but old enough to have gotten the player genes worked out already?" Tony nodded. "Don't you know a few?"

"Straight ones. I don't know very many gay guys and most of the bi ones I know are in relationships. Which is what he's after. He's thinking years ahead of his time at the moment." She smiled at that. "Come up with a list for Gibbs. Xander wants to go somewhere fun and slightly mysterious but that has good places to wander and wonder at. He's thinking Asia."

"Gibbs would freak over Singapore being suggested," the director said, shaking her head. "Where is he? I know he came in."

Tony looked at her again. "He's going to set some ground rules with the bastards who're training his son during the summers. They've done things like take his acceptance letter off the fridge and put another teacher into the school. So part of Langley's basement may be on fire within an hour. Then again, they did teach Xander how to make explosives."

"Is that how Abby got those for that experiment?" McGee asked, looking confused. "All I remember was she grinned and said it was a private contact. I always wondered who made clay animals out of plastic explosives."

Tony nodded. "Yeah, I asked him later that night. They taught him how to make all sorts of plastic explosives in the kitchen. Including the official formulas and things. Supposedly he passed with flying colors."

The director moaned and headed off again. "No wonder. They made his son Rambo."

"Worse," Kate called. "He was Rambo back where he grew up. Now he's worse because he's got training behind it." She looked at Tony. "If he's allowed to go, what's this summer?"

"Field medicine, more electronics, and more computers. They won't do more weapons stuff since the rest is classified and he's not going to work with them." They shared a look. "Then he'll come back here for another internship and some field lessons since he'll be eighteen at that time."

"No he won't be."

"Gibbs said he was," Tony called back. The director came back down and glared at him. "Gibbs said so and Morrow said so, ma'am. Xander wants to work here once he graduates all his college training. He might be down in the lab with Abby now. That's where he spent most of last summer. She even trusts him to run tests without her supervision now." She groaned at that. "I think she got him certified and everything in at least one field."

"Wonderful. So this summer is what sort of lessons?"

"Starting with the field lessons," Gibbs said as he joined them. "Why?" He looked at her. "Problems with that too?"

"Is that wise, Jethro? He'll be eighteen, let him have some fun."

"He'll have plenty of fun. I'm only going to let him work three days a week."

"Was his last one paid?"

"No, the training program pays him a stipend." He put his coffee cup down and looked at McGee. "Got any emails yet? They weren't there."

He checked both accounts and nodded. "I did. They said they're hiding from you. If he wants to come back, he's due by July 12th. If not, they'll come talk to him. They do say that they are sorry they broke in to check his acceptance letters and they're courier-ing them over for you." He looked at his boss. "And again they're very sorry."

"They certainly are," Tony agreed dryly. "That was probably written by the same genius who sent the blonde girl after him."

"Probably," Gibbs agreed dryly, sitting down. "Tell them I'll tell him that. We're going to somewhere in Asia."

"Singapore, boss?" Tony asked with a grin.

"Not a *bad* idea. A bit dangerous but he proved he could handle himself against me yesterday. I only got in four or five really good blows. Speaking of, was his knee bruised?"

"I didn't see one this morning when he was wandering around in his boxers."

"Huh. He didn't bruise on the one side strike I got in either." He nodded, looking impressed. "My son is very tough. I'm proud of that alone. Afterward was about as close to the warm fuzzies Abby talks about as I'll ever get."

"Hell I'm proud. He held himself against you," Tony said dryly. "You should've seen it, Kate. All the training they gave him last summer shows. Very well."

"He still tried to stake me twice," Gibbs pointed out.

"True, but that's his past showing, boss."

"Hmm. Japan you think?"

"No, and not Korea or Vietnam either," Tony reminded him.

"How about Jakarta or Thailand?" McGee suggested. "Go with the old faiths and the old ways? He seems to follow Wicca fairly closely."

"He does," Gibbs agreed, considering it. "Isn't one of them near revolt?"

"Check the State Department, Jethro," the director sighed. "Should I tell Morrow he'll be there?"

"I told him it was up to him," he said, looking over at her. "He has the full right to that decision, the same as he has the right to decide if he wants to do a summer during college so they'll pay for Georgetown for him."

"Hey, boss, I was wondering. How much is his stipend?" McGee asked.

"Ten grand a summer," Tony said blandly. "They pay more when they know they're breaking the law." They all looked at him. "It's not legal to teach someone to make semtex."

"It's not," Gibbs agreed. "He did get the full stipend last summer as well. Plus he spent about three thousand hours working with Abby. He earned it." Tony grinned at that. "Yes, they're eternally cute together but he still can't wear eyeliner in the lab."

"But he looks so cute as King Goth," McGee teased.

"Where was I that day?" Kate asked.

"In the bathroom. It was the day before the kilt." He frowned. "Thinking back, he did tell Morrow that he could pull off a kilt but not her skirts." Gibbs snickered at that and the director moaned, going back to her office. "I showed her the picture, boss."

"You still have it?"

"Yeah, I've got a few Xander blackmail pictures in my desk."

"Let me see." Tony gathered them up and carried them over, leaving the three sexy ones in there. "The others?"

"Umm. Kinda kinky Xander in those, boss." One was held up. "That was for a play at a club." He got the others and handed them over. Gibbs took one look at the top one and handed it to Kate, who whimpered and handed it back picture side down. "He's cute and shirtless in that one," he defended. "You could tell he shaved for swim season." He let McGee have it, watching him blush. "Abby took it, they were dressing up to hit a goth rave. Those are her straps he's hanging onto and her twinkly lights backlighting him." He took the others back, weathering the odd look. "I'm handing them to your future grandchild so we can have them get back at him for all the angst he put us through." He took the other one back and put them back into his desk.

"I might be dead by the time I have grandchildren," Gibbs pointed out. "Hopefully so." He shuddered. "With his luck, they'll be little Republican clones. Or accountants."

"Then I'll definitely get to get him back for all the raves I got drug to as the chaperone, boss." Tony gave him a slightly manic look. "You know that jingle that you keep swearing at because it won't go away in your head? I've got a few techno songs like that now. They're good and all but did you know your son had the soundtrack to Mortal Kombat?"

"No, I didn't. The movie?"

"Yeah, that one." He shook his head quickly. "I keep hearing the 'pick a character' song that was on the movie and the game."

"I can smack you if you think it'll help," Kate offered with a sweet grin. Her computer beeped and she looked at the IM that had just popped up. "Abby's in the security system again, Gibbs. She said only she gets to spank Tony or Xander. That they're both her puppies to spank with a rolled up newspaper."

Gibbs called down there. "They want you back by July 12th if you're going back. If you're not there they'll come talk to you. All the stuff they took is being sent back today and they moved before I could blow them up. Thank you. Now get back to work and quit playing with the security system." He hung up. "Abby's telling him." McGee squeaked. "He hack you again?"

"Yes!" He pouted and locked his system but Xander unlocked it on him and sent him an IM saying he needed to change his password. It was well past the dirty underwear that had brown spots stage. He gaped. "I know she's got the poster that says 'passwords are like underwear' but really!"

Tony laughed. "He got me the other day from home. Don't feel bad." His computer was taken over. "Hey, Willow's on." He typed back at her and she left. "He keeps leaving his laptop on, boss."

"It won't shut off without never coming back on."

"Graduation is when?" Tony asked.

"Two months," he offered,"why?"

"When is Sunnydale's?"

"A week earlier. Again, why?"

"Giving him his present early, just in case?" he suggested quietly.

"It won't be in for another week," McGee offered, "but I can deal with his laptop and loan him a system if he needs one."

"Everything's saved down onto his," Gibbs assured him. His system got taken over and he typed in a message to Willow, getting questions on strategies. "Crap. He's speaking at Graduation." He called the lab. "Willow's on my system, Xander." He hung up and came jogging up the stairs, moving him to type at her. He sighed and nodded. "Well?"

"I'll have to go back. That just screwed my battle plan all to hell."

"Is that a terrorist activity?" the director yelled from her doorway.

"There's going to be an unknown being attacking my former school's graduation, Director. I'm helping." He went back to typing, getting an okay and a promise that she'd leave the NCIS systems alone. He smiled at his father. "Well...." He walked off, then came back and looked at him and put a tape down before walking away. "Abby said I can stay with her tonight."

"You're going home and brushing your mangy beast, again," Gibbs ordered, looking at the tape. He held it up and Tony nodded. So he found a tape recorder, took Tony's headphones off his discman in his desk, and went to listen to it outside.

"Now where did he go?" the director complained a few minutes later.

"He's listening to something Xander made for him," Tony said quietly. "What did you need?"

"Staff meeting about the upcoming budget."

"I go to those," Kate assured her, getting up and grabbing some paper and a pen. The director did not look amused. "Do you really expect Gibbs to deal with that?"

"He's team lead."

"So?" She shrugged. She walked past her. "Main conference room?"

"Yes," she complained, following her. "Any other delegations I should know about?"

"McGee handles all admin paperwork since he's the probie," Tony said with a happy grin. "I handle all awards related things."

"Does that mean you did go to get Xander's?" McGee asked. Tony nodded. "Cute."

"I fueled a great many adolescent fantasies that day. Half the girls and most of the guys drooled. It was a good day," he said smugly. "I can delegate that to you if you want."

"No thanks. Public speaking is not my thing." They shared a look. He looked up. "Oh, Director, we need a new coffeemaker. One of Ducky's and Abby's experiments ate the last one."

"How?"

"I'm not sure and those things I'd rather not know," he admitted honestly. "Those two with Xander helping and egging them on is a horrible thing to unleash on the world."

"Remember the pink foam last summer?" Tony joked.

"Don't remind me, please?" he begged. "I nearly got eaten by the pink foam of doom. If we have another month like that without cases, I'll help them rent a place to experiment in peace."

"Pink foam of doom?" she asked.

"Abby wanted to figure out how to make a foam index, like they have for paint samples? So she and Xander, with a bit of help from Ducky and a reluctant Mr. Palmer, the autopsy gremlin...."

"Hey!" McGee protested. "He's a nice guy."

"He is but he's really strange. Anyway they made up and tested all sorts of foam. Including some that was like the baby of party foam that they use at clubs and fire retardant foam. It did nearly eat McGee." McGee put his head down. "The most fun was when they sprayed that capture foam and then ice skated on it when they added liquid nitrogen blasts."

"True," McGee said, turning his head just enough to smirk at him. "That was fun and Gibbs nearly fell on his ass. I liked that one." He put his face back down.

"If we have another month without cases, I'll send you on vacation," the director promised. "With Abby." She headed up to her budget meeting with a quick stop to take something for her new headache. She walked in and found only one team lead. Two senior agents, and two secondary senior agents waiting on her. She called the others and sat down to wait for a few minutes. "Are these always like this?" They all nodded. "Is that the paperwork issue?"

"Gibbs started it and our bosses decided they had too much to do too, ma'am," one said, smiling at her. "Oh, Ducky, Xander's in," he offered when he walked in.

"I saw him and he looked well rested for once," he agreed, shaking his hand with a smile. "How are the wife and kiddies?"

"Doing wonderful. That root extract you suggested worked wonders on her hair. Thank you, Ducky." He smiled at the others as they came in. "Be nice to the director, guys. She thought Gibbs went to budget meetings." That got some polite laughs but they settled in to work on this.

***

Gibbs walked up to where Tony was having lunch, leaning down to get into his face. "You'd be good for him. If you and he do make a go of it, I won't complain, but if you hurt him I will rip you apart cell by cell. Are we understood?" Tony gave him a hesitant nod. He let him listen to the last few minutes and Tony moaned. "I know you were drunk too. I don't care. If it happens, you'd be good for him. You've been very good to him the whole time he's been with me. So if you and he do try I'll be cheering you on and won't say a word. If you can't make it work, then you had better not hurt him." He went to the counter to get his own lunch and came back. "You can give that back to him. I know it's special."

"Um, yeah," he said quietly. "I don't remember saying that," he admitted after a few more bites.

"It's your voice. I've heard you drunk before."

Tony listened to it again. "It definitely is me. I didn't think I did, Gibbs. I'm sorry if this warped your view of me somehow."

"No. It's comforting. If something happens to me, you'll be there for each other and help each other over your grief. That's what I'd want." Tony nodded at that and ate another bite. "Just make him happy if it does happen."

"It probably won't."

"Not saying you should do it today. I don't think he's ready for you yet." Tony nodded that he agreed since he was chewing. "But if it does. Now, what happened at the budget meeting?"

"I don't know. Kate does that."

"Good point. Good beef today," he offered, taking a bite.

"It is," Tony agreed, pushing the earlier talk into the back of his mind. He would think about that and how he had cooed and told Xander he loved him on the tape later.

***

Xander presented himself to the director's secretary, taking a cookie with a smile. "She summoned me?"

"She did. Let me see if she's done with the last one." She called in there. "Director, Xander is in. Sure I can feed him a few more cookies." She smiled and hung up. "She needs about another ten minutes, she's on a conference call."

"That's fine." He took another one with a wink. "So, I've been a good boy, right? Not too bad since the last time dad and I got into it a few weeks back?"

"As far as I know," she assured him. "Is your father in?"

"Tony is. Dad was down bugging Ducky the last I know."

"I'll save a few of them for them." The director opened her door. "Go ahead." Xander finished his last cookie as he walked in.

The director looked at him. "Thank you for dressing today."

"I dress every day. This is the stupid uniform for school." He sat down and looked at her, then licked off his fingers. "Sorry, she spoils me with cookies."

"That's fine," she agreed tolerantly. "Xander, I know it's distressing...."

"If you say you want to date my father, I will have to protest strongly. That could be counted as sexual harassment."

"I'd never think of it. Jethro made his opinions on that matter very clear." Xander nodded, letting her go on. "No, I was talking about your training. I had similar training early in my career and your father had to straighten out some of mine because I wasn't suited for field work at that time." She swallowed. "You know they want you back."

"I do. I'm not fully against that, just what they've done and our holiday schedule. I'm not sure when we're going yet."

"That's reasonable," she agreed calmly. "I know that you wanted to do a set on electronics this summer?"

"I've spent the last semester fixing my laptop. Tim's taught me some but he can't teach me much. He's a pre-formed circuit board guy."

"That's understandable," she agreed, smiling at him. "Field medicine?"

"I've already got some foundation in it and it's become necessary in the past. I instructed dad over the phone when Kate got shot."

"Interesting. Where were you?"

"Trying to talk myself out of killing Ari." She blinked a few times. "I saw the glint off his scope from class. They were only a block away. I got halfway up the fire escape when he shot her. I chose to cover him and call Dad."

"Good. It was the right choice." He raised an eyebrow. "That was not my decision to make nor did I have anything to do with his last episode of getting out."

"Is he still free?"

"No. He's in a mental health facility over there. They took the notes we wrote seriously. People higher than his contacts made that decision." They both knew that could change if he was found to be useful again but they also both knew if Jethro saw him, he'd be dead very quickly.

"Thank you for that."

"What about weapons?"

"I've gotten as high as I can go without them keeping me."

"That's fine. Explosives?" He nodded. "What would make you go higher in those?"

"Nothing. I want to go onto Tony's team when he takes over for dad some year."

"So you do have ambition to work here." Xander nodded. "That's good," she assured him. "That may be years though."

"I've still got to get through my college education and possibly a master's."

"Point," she decided. "If it takes longer than that?"

"Then I'll go work in a metro PD somewhere good and get more experience. I've already planned on doing some internships starting earlier than usual. With what I've learned here all they should have to do is file down some rough edges that I'll probably still have dealing with people."

"Wonderful. So you've got a realistic plan."

"I do. You still can't date my father, even if I move out."

"Not an issue, but what if he does start to date?"

"That's wonderful. I might even want a sibling. If she's like you or too greedy or a special agent in *that* way, because I do know one of my teachers came onto him to get me back, I would have to protest strongly. If dad likes her he'll listen and then make his own judgements."

"You're not against it?"

"He's had three of them that couldn't understand him. If the next one is better for him, I'm happy about it. Even if she is a raving bitch to me. She'll learn to get along."

"I'll keep that in mind. I did have a friend who wanted introduced." He stared her down and she shifted. "Normal friend, not in the business."

"That's fine then." He shrugged. "I don't think many of them would understand what he does and his drive to solve cases. That's probably what tanked the other three."

"It's entirely possible." She fussed some papers together. "What about your internship this year?"

"I leave that up to Dad."

"You're sure you want to do that?"

"Can you think of anyone else to mold me into an agent worthy of being on his and Tony's team?"

"No, I can't," she agreed. "Do you have conflicts?"

"We try very hard not to bring them into the office and when we have them, the other guys all try to help. Our last one Tony played mediator and pillow because I ended up falling asleep on him."

"I've noticed you've got a, um, crush on him."

"He's my wetest of wet fantasy," he said blandly. "He knows that. We all know that. Not too many people in the building don't know that. Dad isn't encouraging it but he is making me see reality about him. That way I'm not idealizing him."

"Good. Do you think it could harm your later placement?"

"No. I've already had to work with them on some really nasty scenes. In one case Tony came to get me out of class to help with one. Dad gave him funny looks but it was good for me."

"Good." She smiled. "So you don't have a problem working with them?"

"No. I never have."

"What about wild episodes? You do know that sometimes you've got to go undercover."

"And I'm pretty good at that," he pointed out dryly. "I have been. I've had to play bait in the past."

"Did anyone make note of that?"

"Yup and when someone dumb called Social Services about one of them dad told them it was my choice and he had protested, which he did. I pointed it out worked best that way and I was interning, plus we did have people listening to me and ready to rush in to save my poor gay ass."

"Good point. I suppose they didn't care that he doesn't have official paperwork?"

"Not really. He told them how bad my original parents were and they decided my former life had made it a problem, not him."

"Excellent. Have there been any other problems? At home or otherwise that I could help with?" He gave her another look and she forced herself not to fidget again. "I think that your father hasn't been focusing in the last few weeks. I wanted to know why."

"I've been under a great deal of stress. Last semester I had two incomprehensible classes that I did pass. I've got one frustrating me this time because the teacher says stupid shit while going over gay themes in art. I nearly slugged him the other day when he went off on a rant about gay people. I did raise my hand and speak up and point out that there were plenty of us in that school, including me, and if he felt the absolute need to smarm his opinion everywhere to go make a blog and leave us to study the art, not the societal stupidity of the moment. He stomped off in a huff."

"It's good that you stick up for yourself." She started to shift again and crossed her legs instead. "So everything's fine?" He nodded. "Why is your father worried?"

"Because the ones in Sunnydale who're are working on the problem are few and far between and this isn't something he can get other agencies into."

"We could."

"We can't. It's demonic." She laughed and he sighed, typing into her system to get the records of the op in Sunnydale. He ran the tape his father had first been shown and she went pale. "They went there to stop that group. That is a demon. Morrow had found me shortly before then and told Gibbs then, that's why he sent him."

"Oh my God," she breathed, pausing it. "That's...." She looked at him and he nodded. "That's not a costume?"

"No, that's a demon and there's going to be a hundred foot demon at graduation out there. I've been helping with the battle plans. Dad's worried I might have to take a more active role."

"Oh, no. If you do that you'll destroy him."

"If I don't that thing could destroy the world."

"Oh." She slumped. She minimized the screen. "Are you thinking you might have to?"

"I am. He isn't. He's not thrilled with the idea. It'll be attacking graduation so I might have to go."

"If you do, you let me know."

"I've already arranged to borrow someone's plane, Director."

"Planning is good. Is everything else all right?"

"Of course." He crossed his feet. "It's going just fine."

"I heard you and your father had a major fight."

"That was my stress versus his stress and his desire to see me as small, tiny, and helpless." Someone knocked. "Yeah, Tony?" He walked in. "New case?"

"Slime everywhere. Can you come see if it's demonic or not?"

"Sure." He stood up. "If we're done?"

"Of course. I hope that works out, Xander, and I do hope that you enjoy your internship."

"I did last time. I should this time." He nodded and walked out, stealing another cookie with a wink and Tony got one and took one for his dad too. Then he came back and got one for McGee, deciding to be nice and not pick all the visible chocolate chips out.

***

Xander answered his phone, giving his teacher a look. They were in homeroom waiting for senior skip day activities to start. "It's me, talk quick." He listened and nodded. "By tonight, Willow. Did you get the other stuff?" He gathered his bag back together. "On my way." He hung up and put his phone back. "Sorry, ma'am. Emergencies at my old home are necessitating me going there. The Headmistress already knows. Replace me on the tug of war team." He walked out, hitting his locker for the bag of stuff in there. He switched out cells and called his old friend. "Patrick, Xander. I need that lift now. Yeah, right now. Like immediately. They're going to go tomorrow and they've just discovered they don't have a clue. Thanks." He hung up and took off his blazer, putting on his gun harness and slipping his new gun into it. He saw one of the guards. "I'm heading." He checked and grabbed one last thing and his keys, heading out once the door was shut. The guard followed him. He peeked into the headmistress' office. "It's happened. They're clueless and wailing. I'm heading." She thought this was an exercise someone at NCIS had worked up to test his skills.

"Be safe," she said quietly. "Will you be fine?"

"I hope like hell." He ducked out and headed to his car, getting in and heading for the airport. By the time he got there, the plane was waiting and he had some new information to read. He texted his father and got comfortable, nodding at the stewardess. "I'm done."

"We're waiting orders for takeoff." He nodded and got comfortable.

***

Epilogue: first internship meeting.

Xander came off the plane and looked at the people around him. "Hmm, hotties all around," he murmured. He nodded at one of them, smiling when he got looked at. "Hi." He walked off to get his bag and headed out for a ride to his hotel. The hotel shuttle was pretty nice he decided. He pulled out his phone and called his father. "I'm in Miami and it is *full* of hotties," he said happily. "Yeah, like hotties everywhere. So maybe I can get some from an intelligent and hot guy, dad." He laughed at the grumbling. "But I lighten up the bad paperwork days, dad. Then hire a secretary. She can't refuse you it. You dislocated your wrist. Love you too and of course I'll be a good boy." He hung up and snuggled into the seat. It was a good day. He even got a whole day of spring break before his interview. He walked into the station and smiled at the receptionist. "I was told to meet Lieutenant Caine here today in about a half hour?" he offered, handing over his letter.

She smiled and paged him. "He'll be right down, sir. Go ahead and have a seat."

"Thanks." He sat down and made sure he was still lint, spot, and wrinkle free, looking up at the most gorgeous pair of blue eyes at the mild cough. "Lieutenant?"

"Yes. You are..."

"Xander." He handed over his letter and stood up to shake his hand. "Harris if that helps," he offered with a small grin.

"Our internship candidate. Thank you for coming down here during spring break."

"I hear it's a great place and I spent last year off Lake Meade," he said with a small grin. "Though I'm really not a party animal."

"It's always good to strike a balance."

"Unless you've been there and done that so you know your limits," Xander admitted sheepishly. That got a smile. "Shall we? That way I don't bore your charming receptionist as well as you?"

He got a smile for that one. "Of course. Office, interrogation room? Any choice?"

"Wherever you want. I'm flexible." He groaned and smacked himself on the head. "Sorry, had a nice time last night. You guys have some very good clubs to get lost in. I was in Bria last night, I think it was called."

"I know of it." He led him to an office and sat down with him. "I've looked over your application, Xander. I should call you that?"

"Sure. That's what most everyone does. I usually try to kick the ass of people who call me Alexander."

"All right." He smiled at him again. The poor kid was obviously a bit nervous with the way he was babbling but it showed an earnest and honest response. His first impression was that he was very young but something in his eyes said that he'd have a hard time breaking him in interrogation. That was what was making him think twice about this one. "You're doing this very early."

"I am. I've had some experience in DC already. I'm wanting to keep going. I learn better in a hands-on manner and I've, truthfully, missed a few of the lesson's points in some of the classes. I figure I can make up for that lack now and it'll make me a better CSI later."

"Where do you see yourself in ten years?"

"Working at NCIS."

"You have family in the military?"

"I do. My father's in the Marine Reserves. He spent a long time active duty and he's got some very high respect for them. I also know a few agents out of the DC branch. I've spent some time working with Abby. She's taught me a lot, not always what was needed but what I should do."

"Interesting. How long have you been interning up there?"

"Three summers now."

"You have a relative in NCIS?" he guessed. With his age, he had to have one, yet he didn't have anyone but Abby and Ducky listed as references. That spoke well of him.

Xander smiled. "I refuse to answer that question on the basis of nepotism or favoritism. I want an equal footing with everyone else who's being considered. I don't want to get this position due to anyone else but me."

"It's good that you're that confident."

"No, I'm that certain. I won't know how good I am if someone hires me because of my father or anyone else in my life," he said simply. "I'm not looking to play the politics or special friend game. I don't do things like Enron." Horatio smiled at that and nodded. "I had heard Miami was the same."

"Oh, it is. We like to run off federal agents now and then."

"I feel the same way about the CIA." He shook his head. "Anyway. I brought a copy of evaluations from my lab teachers." He pulled them out and grimaced. "Sorry, must've had a dripping tea last night." He looked at it and found two clean copies, handing them over. "Sorry about that."

"It happens to the best of us, Xander. I've had some times when I've had to walk into budget meetings cleaning the coffee off my shirt and pants. That's life." He smiled and Xander relaxed again. "Did you have to interview up there?"

"No, the old director liked me," he admitted. "He thought I was a pain in his ass but a lot like his favorite agent."

"I see." He looked at him. "That's a high qualification."

Xander grinned an impish, naughty grin. "Yeah, but I gotta be me." Horatio burst out laughing at that. "Director Morrow got many headaches from me during my internship. Abby and I palled around a lot. Including letting her dress me some days."

"I've met Abigail," he admitted, looking over them. There were a few low marks here and there. "A few of them seem to think you have problems dealing with people?"

"No, I have problems dealing with stupid people. Unfortunately the department favorite at the moment is one teacher's son and he's stupid enough for all of us combined. I help him if he asks but if he tries crap I get my own back and get my own credit. He pouts, his father complains, and my teachers mark me down. If I felt like it, I could pull up some skills that I've learned and blow two of my teacher out of the water." Or out of the universe but he didn't add that. It wasn't politically expedient to tell a potential boss you liked explosives.

"That sort of thing does happen. I do see one teacher who did say that you don't ingratiate yourself to anyone and you certainly don't play favorites. You speak Latin?"

"I read it better, but yes."

"Interesting skill. For the SATs?"

"No, just because I needed it a few times for some ancient books I used to deal with."

"Summer job?"

"No, after school job before I moved to DC."

"From where?"

"Sunnydale."

"Which is..."

"California. Just near LA," he admitted. "It's a bit of a rough place and when I found out I had a real father I left with him."

"Which is why two teachers have said you had a violent streak?"

"No, they caught me without sleep for a few days. I can be math challenged now and then and that week we were doing all sorts of math problems that I didn't understand. So I spent a lot of time working and not a lot of time sleeping."

"We all have our faults, it's a strong man who can work on his," Horatio offered.

"Oh, I try. Very hard. Dad and Tony do prompt it now and then too," he admitted dryly. That got a smile. "I would kill to be in a lab like this, Lieutenant. You have one of the best in the country. I could have talked my way into New York's or Vegas's lab. I did actually spend two days there last spring break due to a computer case. I was helping since it was an NCIS case and I was close with the skills they needed."

"You know something about computers?"

"I do. I also know a little bit about computer repair thanks to an old laptop that had wires that broke mysteriously for months on end." He frowned then let it clear up. "I had to learn."

"That's a reasonable excuse." He smiled reassuringly. "Calm down. You're starting to bounce."

"That just means I'm happy. Tony said I and my dog are both bouncy balls of energy at times." That got another of those soft, gentle smiles that would make his night later on. "I've got a little mixed dog from the pound at home."

"They're good companions." He put down the forms. "Anything else I should know?"

Xander looked in his briefcase and pulled out a candybar. "Sorry, in the way and stuck on the clip. Not a bribe," he offered with a shit-eating grin. He pulled out something and handed it over. "Here, a rundown on the types of cases I've helped Abby with and what tests were involved. I pulled them myself." Horatio leaned back to look it over. "I spent one summer doing lab internship and one summer working with a field team learning behind them. Last summer I spent six weeks being a gopher again and doing whatever was needed because it was a low case summer. About a quarter of it I spent proofreading reports and playing solitaire."

"This is very impressive, Xander. Especially from that office. Tell me, do you have many troubles? I've heard they've got a very domineering team up there."

"No, I love working with Gibbs' team. They're nice folk. Kate even occasionally lets me steal chocolate from her desk. I learned computer repair from his guy McGee." That got a nod and he went back to it. "I also should mention I do have skills that are not on there that are probably not going to become pertinent."

"Balancing a beer bottle on your nose?" he teased.

"No, I don't have great balance," Xander offered. "Though I can ride a motorcycle. No, I, um, have a friend who can hack computers and I learned a bit from her. Hence me being allowed to work on the case in Vegas. I also know a bit about self-defense. My father has made sure of it and I'm pretty good. I can hold my own against him. I've also had some cases that involved explosives and I've learned a bit more than I probably should about them as well."

Horatio looked at him. "Are you saying you can build one?"

"I'm saying I can mix C-4," he admitted blandly. "I don't. Otherwise I would have had a lot more problems at school than with that one student."

He made a humming noise and went back to it. He put it all together. "I like you, Xander." Xander smiled and finally relaxed. "Even though no sane person would've told their boss that they knew how to build bombs."

"It's come in handy in the past."

"I'm sure it has. It has for us as well. Especially pipe bombs."

"I like plastic explosives." He shrugged. "But I do know pipe bombs as well."

"Excellent. You are going on my maybe pile. We've got four spots open. When could you start?"

"School ends June 3rd. I can be down here within four days after that? Say the tenth to be safe. That way I have time to find somewhere to squat."

"Planning on bringing your dog?"

"Only if I can find a good spot and I have some very short hours. He's got a bit of a bladder control problem and I doubt I can find him somewhere to put a run and things."

"Well planned. Do you have friends down here?"

"I know a family down here. One of my former classmates in Sunnydale's parents live down here. I was their son's best friend before he died. I can probably get a couch for a few days if I had to."

"Then you're definitely on my maybe pile. I'll let you know by phone or email, all right?" Xander smiled and nodded, shaking his hand and letting himself be escorted out so he could go back to spring break. Horatio watched him go. Something had been left out but he knew it wasn't bad. There was something about the boy however. He went to call a contact in DC. "It's Caine," he said in greeting. "Fine, Agent Elliot. No, I had an internship applicant I wanted to check on. He said he's interned at NCIS. Yes, Xander. How did you know?" He listened to him complain about the smartass brat who Gibbs loved and was working on training.

"So he does get along well with them?" He smiled at the assurance that they were like a family and that Tony was the boy's crush. "Well, that explains a few things. No, he refused to give me any references there except Abby and Ducky. He said he didn't want undo influence. I had the feeling he was hiding something about his training but I'm not sure what...." The line went dead. "Uh-huh." He called him back. "Sorry, the line was cut. Can you send me what you know about him? Actually, I think some time in the lab might do him good. He does remind me of a cross between Eric and Speed. Thank you, Peter." He hung up and looked over the information again. His email beeped and he looked at the new message. He doesn't want to get it based on who he knows. Only on what he's done. "I know that. I have no problem with that. I applaud it," he told his computer, typing that back. "I only want to know his qualifications." The returned one of 'look at the packet' was enough for him. It did speak of a great deal of training time and some trust to have worked some of those cases. Then again, the hidden email notices and the obvious bugging of his line did make him want to know a lot more about this boy. There was definitely something the boy was hiding from him. Though, he had the feeling he would hear it from the boy himself if he accepted him. He had a feeling about him. He had it a few times before about some of his other people.

***

Gibbs looked up at his ceiling, groaning at the new name that was being moaned above him. "Do you have to do that!" he complained loudly.

"Oops, sorry!" He quieted himself and it was good again.

Gibbs got up to look up this new guy. He was handsome. He could see what his son did. He also found a new email from his son's contacts, reading what they had sent Horatio on him. "He asked?"

Xander came bounding down the stairs. "What?"

"He asked someone up here about you."

"I told him I didn't want to get in based on who I knew, only what I knew. Who did he check with?"

"A treasury Fed. Elliot."

"Was he the suit that I taunted for weeks about being Gumby?"

"Yup." He smiled at his son. "Your backup choice?"

"Abby or New York. I've been offered it without an interview but I told him I'd really rather have an ocean. But I'd tell him by the end of May. He said that was acceptable." He hugged his father. "Miami's where I want, it's got a good rep and Horatio is known for turning out some great CSI." His father looked at him. "He is. He mostly hires from within and then trains instead of going after highly trained people from other departments."

"That does speak well that he doesn't poach. Does Abby know him?"

"Yup and she suggested there or New York because I'd be working with a Marine up there do it'd be an easier transition."

"I remember Taylor from that last case." He gave him a cuddle. "We'll see what happens." He looked at his son. "I haven't forgotten who else lives down there."

"I wouldn't mind popping in on them and if there's a housing gap I could probably stay on their couch. That's why you're getting the dog this summer."

"That's fine, son. I'll even remember not to put him in the basement this year." He gave him a squeeze. "Go back to bed." Xander grinned and went back upstairs. "Without the noise this time," he called after him. He emailed Abby to get information on this person because if his son was going to go down there, he should know exactly what his son was capable of. There was no other way to stop him now and then. He got profiles on the whole lab back from her plus the fact she had given him a glowing and lengthy recommendation and gushed about how great he did with her. That did make him smile. Abby was a good sister to his son. He went back to bed, reminding himself to start the security checks in the morning.

***

Xander got the email at work and he stared at it for a few minutes before clicking on it. Then he hopped up and he snoopy danced until Tony stopped him. "I got the internship," he said happily, hugging him. "I'm going to Miami."

"Great job," he praised, giving him a squeeze. "No more snoopy dancing in the aisle. The director might find it cute." Xander giggled and got off him, going to pounce Abby and tell her. He looked over the letter, nodding at the instructions. Then he called down there. "Have him write back today, Abby, before he can forget." He hung up when Gibbs came off the elevator. "Good news pulled up on your computer, boss."

"About the case?"

"No, your son was snoopy dancing again." He looked and smirked, allowing the pride to wash over him for a minute then he lowered it and got back to work. "But on the case," he segued, handing over a few forms. "I found that and I'm not sure if it's relevant or not."

He looked over the prior arrest records under a different name but same social security number. "Do we think one lied?"

"That's the name the number was originally put in, boss. I can't find change of name paperwork officially but somehow he got it in a new name. I think it's relevant and Kate doesn't but look at the last page." He flipped there. "That's why I think it's relevant."

"There's no birth certificate anywhere with that name?"

"All states allow us to search and no, I haven't found one. The same as I never found a registration for Selective Service either."

"So we're thinking this guy's an illegal alien?"

"I don't know. He could be native and just wanted to get away from his past. If we could get a good picture we might be able to do a face recognition program through the state driver's license banks."

"Find the original owner."

"I can't. I've done DMV searches and everything, boss. Nothing from them. No death records that I could find either."

"So it could be a coincidence that we're not finding anything in the systems or you're leaning toward..."

"He killed him for his ID or he found him dead and assumed it."

"Do we have pictures of the original guy?" Tony pointed and he looked at the arrest report. "Nothing incredibly violent. Stupid teenage stuff. Theft mostly. The picture is leaning toward Hispanic in looks." He looked at Tony again. "Where was he when he disappeared? By pay stubs or whatever?"

"New York."

"Call them." He handed it over. "Let's see if they've got a guy who matches. They keep a file on their John Does."

"Yes, boss." He went back to his desk to do that. Because if this was relevant, they had no idea who they were searching for.

Xander came back and planted himself in front of his father's desk. "You didn't delete it, right?"

"No, son, I only lowered it. Sit down and work on your acceptance letter."

"It's not the academy awards, dad." He walked around and rolled his father's chair out of the way, squatting down to type in a simple 'I'll be there' and then a 'net squeal before he sent it. His father gave him an odd look. "I was bouncy and gushy when I saw him and he's got the prettiest blue eyes," he sighed.

"I saw, son. Help Tony. We've got a dead end on the ID and it looked like an assumed one. It might mean hitting New York. Can you?"

"I've got a test on Monday, but sure." He went to get it and take the phone. He had hung out in the lab the last time they had to step into New York's labs and helped them with some demony things. "Hi, detective. No, this is Xander Harris-Gibbs. Tony got called away. Yup, him. It's mine now. No, dad called Tony away to look at something else. Yeah, we seem to have two different people using the same ID and it appears that one fell off the face of the earth in your neck of the woods. Tony was leaning toward he might've been a murder victim and his identity assumed before you guys got there. He's not sure and we're not going to say that until we know." He nodded, making notes on the post-it near him. "Sure, I can fax all of what we have. Just through the John Does. Actually, he's got a record in your area. Theft. Raymond Herald Fish. Yup, that's his SSN."

He waited while he pulled it up. "But see, we've got a Naval officer down here who's using the same SSN and doesn't look like this guy's mug shot, though his intake form's picture is really fuzzy and unclear what he does look like. Looks like someone sneezed on the lens to me. Yeah, a DMV photo from a muggy day." He grinned. "See, that's what Tony was thinking. Can you run it through your John Doe database? Well, he dropped off your system in '98. He dropped into the Navy's system in '01. That's a finite year range at least. Sure, I can let you call me back if you want. Yup, that's me, ask for me or Tony's desk. Thank you, Detective. Yup, if I have to I'll be up there to come help. Thank you." He hung up. "He'll look. They're not computerized at this time. He's going to hand it to the CSI guys he works with and talk to them. They'll call back or if it gets too intense he'll call back and I'll go up." He looked at Tony. "How did he get in with such a crappy photo?"

"The notes say that they tried three times and none of them came out better," McGee admitted. "They accepted that he doesn't take pictures well."

"Was he radiated?"

"No. Not by our records." McGee looked at him. "'98?" Xander nodded, handing over the arrest report. "Hmm. He did get out in June of '98. Let's see what else went on with that number that year." He did a search through the Social Security Administration, coming up with nothing. He widened it. "He never worked and never filed taxes. How?"

"My thought, he was a thug, McGee. Can't exactly put 'gang member' on your tax form."

"Point and thefts aren't usually reported as taxable income."

"True. Oh, did you hear, the tax department for our great country wants to make pimps start to file taxes and do withholdings on their girls?" McGee choked.

"What?" Tony asked.

"Seriously, heard it on the news," Xander swore, holding up a hand. "They want pimps to start doing taxes and doing W-2's for their working girls. That way they're getting their own slice of the pie."

"But if you claim illegal income that way you'll get arrested."

"And if you don't, then they don't get paid and think about how much money goes for sex these days."

Tony shuddered and shook his head. "Someone somewhere needs to put down the Snoop Dog album and quit smoking the blunts." He went back to his desk. "Anything?"

"They're not online but they'll go through the picture file with his mug shot."

"Works for me. Thank you, Xander. Did you really type in a squeal?"

"Yup. I was bouncy and gushy when I went down." He came over and pulled up a photo. "That's who interviewed me."

"He's pretty," he agreed quietly, looking at him. "No crushing on the boss. It could cause problems. The same as the director here and your dad can't."

"Thankfully," Xander muttered. He plopped down. "What else can I do to help?"

"If we could find that guy.... Fingerprints," he said, calling Abby to let her know what was suspected. They did have a single fingerprint.

Abby came up a few minutes later. "We do not have a match to his ten card," she said, smiling at him. "But we do sorta have an almost match on him."

"How certain?"

"Three points." She held up the file. "He's the son of a bad guy."

Xander took the file and sighed as he looked over it. "So he either killed him or knew he'd be killed. He's probably using it to escape his father."

"It's still illegal and he was still beaten and wandered off from the hospital," his father reminded him. "We don't mind the son of thugs going into the Navy. We encourage it."

"Dad, his dad's in *weapons*." He looked over. "Any DI would twitch him about it, the same as they do sons of Marines. For some that would be intolerable. It'd make them quit and feel like they'll never escape their pasts. It'd make them think there was no reason to keep going and probably has led to suicide in the past."

"Still doesn't make it right."

"No, but it makes it more reasonable." He handed over that form. "That does look more like our blur there."

"It does." He looked at the picture the FBI had taken from a distance. "He never sits still. He vibrates worse than you do."

"I made myself sit still for my DMV photo," Xander complained, snatching it back. "I'll follow up with New York since he's from up there too."

"Good. You do that and we'll find the body down here." His father looked at Tony, then at Xander. "Your own desk, son." Xander sighed and went back to his own desk. "Thank you. We'll celebrate that later."

"Thank you, dad." He got to work on what he could do. Then he groaned and hit himself on the head. "I still need to study for my physics test."

"Why are you taking it?" Tony asked.

"It's mandatory. I figured I'd get it out the of way now. Like Calc since I did mildly sucky in Trig last semester."

"Don't overload yourself, son," his father warned.

"I can drop down to nine hours this semester if I need to, Dad. Plus I can take a few online classes this summer if I need to."

"Don't. You'll be spending time like you do here in your internship."

"Yes, sir." He got back to work. His phone rang a few hours later. "Harris." He listened and smiled. "Yes, sir. I'll be ready to work that first day. Are t-shirts acceptable or must they be button ups? Well I did see how you were dressed." He smiled. "That's fine. Thank you, sir. Of course. Thank you, Lieutenant. I'll be there on time and everything." He beamed. "No, I'm subbing today since I'm off classes for the day. Otherwise I wouldn't get to see my father for a few days. Of course, thank you, sir. I'll be there on time. Yes, sir. Send them to me and I'll do them and send them back. Sure." He beamed. "Excellent even. It'll give me something to do tonight while I'm waiting on call backs besides make my head hurt with physics." He laughed. "No, not in the least. That's one of those subjects that I've got to learn hands-on. Sure. I'm not afraid of paperwork. I proofread reports here. Thank you, Lieutenant. You have a good day too." He hung up after he did. "I'm getting the forms sent tomorrow to fill out for my ID and background check."

"Put on those that you have a security clearance," Gibbs reminded him. "It'll go faster because they can reference that file up here but not your dossier." He looked at his son. "You'll be honest with him," he said quietly. "We'll be doing background checks and you will be honest with him if he passes."

"Of course. Him and if I need another exception I'll send it to you directly," Xander agreed.

"Good." He got back to work. "They don't have those online?"

"They do since '03 but not before. Those are in picture files so they're searching those. Probably their interns."

"Call Taylor and tell him you can't accept, Xander."

"Yes, sir." He called up there after looking the number up. "Is Detective Taylor around? No, I just needed to let him know something. No, not case related. Internship related. Thank you." He was sent to his voicemail. "Detective Taylor, this is Xander Harris. I wanted to thank you for your offer of an internship position but I've decided to go with Miami as of this moment. I'm a beach baby and they've got beaches, plus less of the stuff I handled last time, ya know?" he said more quietly. "But I do thank you for that and I'll keep you in mind for further ones since I've got another four years to go and I intend to intern somewhere those summers as well. Thank you again. I hope you find someone as great as I am to fill in the spot. Or someone you can beat into better manners as the case may be," he offered in a more teasing voice. "Thank you. Have a better day." He hung up. "There. Done."

His father shook his head. "You need to learn the formal ways of doing that."

"Yay."

"That's not very professional," he noted when his son looked over at him.

"He said the last time he saw me he thought I'd make a great CSI but I needed some manners beaten into me since I only waved when he called my name and I was reading."

"That's annoyed me a few times too," his father assured him.

Xander shrugged. "Sorry!"

"Fine." He shook his head. "Just work on that angle."

"I am. I'm waiting on call-backs and making my head hurt with physics stuff." He noticed the director came out of MTAC and he coughed, nodding that way. His father nodded subtly. She came down and he turned on his computer, pulling up the old arrest files.

"I hear congratulations are in order?" she asked him.

"I got the internship in Miami without using any political connections," he agreed happily. "I refused to name names and only gave Abby and Ducky as references with my teachers."

"Then I'm doubly impressed, Xander. Congratulations."

"Thank you, Director." He smiled. "I'll be getting the forms to fill out tomorrow."

"That's fine. You've got some spare time here to do that I'm sure. What are you doing now?"

"Waiting to hear back from New York on a lead."

"I've had to do that many times. You don't think you'll have to be there in person?"

"Not really. An information exchange but nothing further hopefully. If we're right, it'll lead to closing a homicide on their end. I might have to go up there with that file. Of course, I could drop physics and make myself a happy boy?" he asked, looking at his father.

"Go ahead, son. That leaves you how many hours?"

"Sixteen including Chem."

"Fine."

Xander whooped and filled out the form online, dumping his problem class. He got an acceptance of that drop and wrote the teacher a nicer note about how he liked him as a teacher but it was too much stress for him this semester. That he'd see him in another year. Then he looked at her again. "Sorry, I'm taking Calc and Physics together again this time. This frees me of my Monday classes too."

His father looked at him. "I thought you had something stupid on Mondays."

"That was only a six week seminar on how to dress appropriately for interviews and those things. It's already done with."

"Decent. How was Miami for the holiday?"

"Lots and lots of hotties. From the airport on there were hotties *everywhere*." Tony giggled and nodded at that. "Including at the PD." He smiled at the director again. "I am still a young man."

"It's nice that your time in Cancun fixed you." She smirked at him. "Are you going to find a place down in Miami? I know someone down there who only uses theirs during the winters and you might be able to use their condo."

"I was thinking a cheap hotel room. I can't bring the dog with the hours I'd expect to pull down there and an efficiency motel room would be easiest. Maid service so I didn't have to clean. Free cable. It'd also be closer to the station so I could bus in if the car broke again." She nodded at that wisdom. "Thank you for the offer."

"Keep it in mind."

"I will, ma'am." She nodded and smiled, walking on. "No way in hell am I going to haunt a CIA pad this summer," he mouthed at his father, who nodded at that. "I'd sleep on *their* couch first." Tony's pencil broke. "I'm outside of their range and I'd report them if they went for anyone."

"Good." He glared at him. "You'll stay out of trouble?"

"As much as I can."

"I'd hope so." Xander shrugged. "I know. Trouble finds you."

"It had better not," Gibbs noted dryly.

"I try really hard not to let it."

"Good. See that that stuff continues. Call them back."

"Dad, they had over a hundred John Does in one year alone," he complained. "Give the guy some time." He leaned back. "If we have to hand him to New York I'll go up with him and hand over whatever we've got then. Physics was the only test I've got this week."

"Psychology," McGee said in a sing-song voice.

Xander sat up. "Oh, shit that was today, wasn't it?"

"Two hours ago," McGee agreed, looking at him. "Call the teacher. Tell her you got stuck here on a case." He nodded doing that. "I set my calendar to say he'd be in around this time today and it just popped up." He shook his head and went back to work. "I've got the person he was fighting with, boss. Local PD arrested him." He sent it to him. "That's how he got to the hospital but not how he got out."

"If he's got the history I think he does, he's good at sneaking," Xander told them. "Hi, Professor. Yup, this is. No, a case," he sighed, holding his head. "I know. I'm sorry." He slumped. "Well, I did drop Physics earlier. I guess..." He listened to her. "I know. Actually, I had it in high school. I could. Got it online? I can do it while I'm here. Not like they'll let me cheat and my textbooks are at home. Thank you." He hung up. "She wants me to drop hers too."

"That brings you down to thirteen," his father warned.

"I know but I can pass her class over the summer." He filled out that drop slip and sent it, getting another electronic acknowledgment and then a note from the registrar to call him. He called. "This is Xander Harris, I just got a note to call? I dropped two classes today." He got put through to someone else. "Hi, Xander Harris?" His file was pulled up. "No, I missed a test and the teacher suggested I do that because my internship has made it so I couldn't exactly get to class on time a few times. No, that was way too much for me. No, I don't want it back. Please don't make me go back. I know it's mandatory for my major and I'll try it again next year, when I'm not taking a math I don't understand." He snorted. "Lady, I've interned as a CSI for the last three summers. I can do the work but some of us don't exactly believe in the book learning method," he said dryly. "Yeah, me. Look at my files." He waited while she did that and then heard her gasp.

"Yeah, that was me too. So yes, I can handle the work, I don't need to change my major. I'll be fine and I'll tell my advisor myself in a few minutes. He was sure I could handle those two together and I pointed out I nearly broke doing it in high school. Dropping me from psych was the teacher's suggestion until I've got an easier semester since I can pass it blindfolded and I had a high B in there without studying since I had already been over it. It was just that work got in the way. Yeah, well, some of us do work, honey. Not all of us live off mommy and daddy's wallets." She said something smart. "You know what. I'm not down below where I should be. I'm not on financial aid this semester. I doubt the people who're paying are going to mind either and they're not going to be kicking me out of my major for dropping two classes this semester. No, I didn't drop last semester, I changed a gym class last semester so I didn't reverse gay bash the asshole jocks in there. Anything else or are they through?"

He nodded. "I know. I know very well what I'm doing. Lady, I've already solved my first ten homicides by myself. I'm already doing the work, I just need the degree to back up the work. Anything else? Thank you." He hung up and called his advisor. "I'm going to strangle someone in the Registrar's office. Should I leave her lying around as a practical exercise?" His teacher laughed. "I dropped physics and psych. The teacher suggested I should drop psych due to the problems I've had getting to class due to work. Oh, I got the internship in Miami. I doubt he would. I can email him if you want." He opened the last message and hit reply, then typed everything in. He sent it to him, getting back a 'that's fine. Keep your grades up' back. "He said that's fine. No, I couldn't take physics, it was giving me headaches again. No, not the I need glasses sort, thanks anyway, Doctor Brad."

He grimaced. "Speaking of, the practical class? Do I still have to do that? Can't I count something like my internship? Actually, Abby could. No, I have nothing against those hours. That's fine with me. I'm good with those hours. It's the stupid 'go haunt a lab' hours. Yeah, those. Can I count my internship? Or the time here?" He smiled. "Thank you, I love you. No, work got in the way of the test today. Yeah, I told her I had the work, I needed the degree to back it up and you guys wouldn't be dropping me due to that. Thank you." He blew a kiss and hung up. Then he shook his head quickly. "Dad, if you can prove to them I'm doing practical hours, I can get out of ten hours of classes that we've got to have. I can count my internship hours as well and that'll cut out a semester and a half."

"Get me the forms from your advisor, son."

"Thank you. He wanted me to go do the FBI labs." His father snorted and shook his head. "Yeah, me either. They hate me over there." He ran his hands through his hair. "I'm growing my hair out."

"I noticed, I was going to suggest a haircut." He glanced at his son as he typed. "I really think you should."

"I wanted to see what I'd look like with longer hair."

"An even gayer you?" Kate suggested.

"Bite me, Kate. You're just jealous my hair's better than yours." She glared and he smirked. "You are. Want to borrow my conditioner?"

"No thanks, I might turn lesbian." He laughed and got back to work.

***

That summer, after a full two weeks down in Miami, his advisor, Speed, finally got the balls up to ask him things. "So, NCIS?"

"Yeah, I've spent the summers working with dad."

"Interesting. Why? You could've lounged around."

"And do what? Get into trouble? A bored Xander is a dangerous Xander."

"So I've heard," he noted dryly. "But seriously, Xander. You're ahead of schedule of even the ambitious students."

Xander put down what he as doing and looked at him. "First, I learn better with hands-on methods. Second, I've never had a lounging life. Yeah, I played with my friends but then I started to hunt. School got in the way of hunting," he said quietly. "Third, dad didn't push me and the fun I wanted to get into would've disappointed him. Therefore I didn't." Horatio came to the door. "Lieutenant."

"Xander. Problems?"

"He wanted to know why I was doing this so early. I gave him the three good reasons I gave you."

"I heard." He gave him a gentle smile. "How is this case going?"

Xander frowned and looked at him. "It's not my first, but I have the gut instinct that the answer isn't going to make anyone happy," he admitted. "My gut says that someone's going to protest."

"It happens. We don't do this job to make people comfortable."

"No, but we might need riot gear." Horatio frowned and he waved him in, letting him see what he was. "That's police issued," he said quietly, pointing at the bullet. "Calleigh handed it to me and said she couldn't do that, she might be compromised since she used the same model."

"I see." He looked at him. "Is it in the system?"

"I'm going to run it at the end of shift today and bring it directly to you. I want other evidence to back it up. That way, it can be done quietly if it's an officer and out of the public and most of the department's sight."

"It's understandable but Internal Affairs does that."

"Not if it's them," he said quietly, showing him a DNA report. Horatio stiffened and nodded slowly. "I don't think this is going to make anyone happy."

"I can agree. Also about needing some body armor. All right, Speed's looking over your shoulder?"

"Fully and doing some of the tests a second time as a check and a blind," he admitted. "So far he's right on. Run the ballistics." Xander took it over to the computer and ran it, coming up with the gun registry. It matched the DNA. "H?"

"That does say that it's our job," he decided. "Finish everything then bring me the completed file, boys. Everything, even things that point at someone else. Just in case."

"Nothing points but one stray hair and it's a goat hair," Xander offered, holding it up. "That's the only unknown thing at the scene."

"Understood. Bring the completed file to me as soon as it's done." Xander nodded so he left, going to his office. He found an unwelcome visitor with one of the IAB officers who liked to sit on his ass and watch over his shoulder. He walked in and closed the door. "We have an issue in the lab."

"Harris is running things he shouldn't?"

"Speed's watching over his shoulder on a case where the evidence is pointing at an officer."

"That's my job."

"It's one of you, Rick." He stood up at that. "He is going to bring it to me soon. We'll be doing this after shift change. Quietly. He thinks this could get fairly difficult."

"Who?"

"When I have the evidence."

"I need...."

"No, you don't. When I have the evidence." Rick Stetler gave him a look. "That way you can't jump and he won't know and take off for a jog out of the state." He moved closer. "We're going to do this quietly in case he has other officers working with him or being blackmailed by him," he ordered quietly. "This way we can pick him up very quietly and none of the officers will be tipped off."

"Agreed," he decided. "Harris has a clue?"

"After three years interning at NCIS? I would suppose so."

"I heard he's got connections."

"He does. He finished school in DC. He interned in that branch." He smiled. "He's already well trained. We're sanding down some rough corners and explaining some things he didn't pick up from the books."

"Why?"

"He's more a hands-on learner. He learns better by doing than listening and watching." Someone knocked. "Enter." Speed walked in and handed over the file. "Already?"

"We had it all but done. The chem report is the last one we're waiting on and it might be tomorrow. So far he says it's consistent with what we think it is. He's rushing it but it still takes time to break it down. The preliminary tests do point at heroin." Xander walked in and shut the door. "Problems?"

"Yeah, the lab just got raided by a Fed. I made him stomp off in a snit." He looked at Horatio. "Can't I have him shot?"

"No, Xander."

"Please?"

"No, Xander. What sort of Fed?"

"ATF."

"Why?"

"I'm not sure. He saw me and stomped off in a snit," he noted dryly. "Probably going to call and whine at my father."

"That's fine. Go find him and drag him up here."

"Eric's here and I told him to so he wouldn't cry. Speaking of crying, is Gumby coming back anytime soon?"

"Gumby?" Speed asked. He gave him an amused look. "The government hired clay figures? Did we hire his horse to run one of the departments in the FBI?"

Xander grinned. "I haven't seen them all yet but I'll let you know when I do. Treasury agent Elliot? The last time we worked at him he wore green all week and I called him Gumby."

Horatio cracked a smile. "It's good that you don't let Federal Agents get to you, Xander."

"Why would I? He's a moron."

"True, and one who likes to lie to Calleigh," Speed offered dryly. "Are we waiting?"

"No," Rick noted, taking the folder. He sat down to read it then looked at them. "Is there *anything* that doesn't point to him?"

"A goat hair." Xander pointed at that part of the report. "That's the only unrelated piece of evidence from that alley. We have shoe prints from his office that matched the ones in the alley. We have ballistics. We have DNA on the bullet and shell casing. He licked it. We have..."

"Hold on, he licked it?"

"Common thing seen in movies," Xander told him. "Licking the bullet before inserting it in the revolver or the clip. We also have chem that's going to come up heroin."

"All right. A goat hair?"

"It's Miami, it could've been food or a religious offering," Speed noted. He shrugged. "I agree, we've got to do this one quietly. We have no idea how deep this reaches."

"Agreed," Stetler said, standing up. "Nice report, kid."

"I live up to Gibbs' standards." He looked at Horatio. "I want to ask a favor."

"Ask," he agreed.

"I want to work on the gay bashing case."

Horatio considered it. He knew Xander was gay. Most of the department knew Xander was gay. A few officers had warned him to have Xander tone down his gayness at work and Xander had heard and laughed at them. He sighed and nodded. "I'll assign you with Eric."

"Eric will not get anyone in the community to talk and I know some of them already."

"That's a reasonable reason. Is it personal?"

"Hell yes. Gay bashers are right behind rapists on my personal shit list."

Horatio nodded. "I'll tell Eric you're working on it with him and take you off Speed's post-kidnaping case." Xander nodded at that. "Go find Eric."

"Yes, Horatio." He went to do that. He found him talking to the ATF agent. "Horatio wants him and I want in on your bashing case."

"We don't know it is."

"Eric, it is. I know it is. You know it is. Hell, someone carved the words 'gay boy' on his chest and wrote the word 'dirty' underneath it in his blood. It's a bashing. I've already met some of the people in the community who wouldn't talk to you."

"I'm respectful."

"You'd also fall for the blushing and you're straight. Why would they talk to you when you could be one of them?"

"Point, even though that's not my thing."

"And that's great but they don't know you from this guy," he said, nodding at the ATF agent. "How would they know that?"

"Sure. I'll let you help me." He looked at the ATF agent. "Think you can handle Caine now?"

"Must I?"

Xander tapped him on the shoulder. "Did my daddy make you sweat or cry?"

"Neither," he said, glaring at him.

"Then why did you run when you saw me?"

"I've spent the last month working with Beth. I learned to get away when she was scowling like you were, kid."

Xander nodded once and grinned. "I like Beth. She's a great helper to spar with. Let's go. Will you need me?"

"I don't know yet." He walked inside, Eric following them. He stopped the kid. "She had your picture and hinted you had the same sort of training?"

"Classified and he doesn't know," he said quietly.

"That's fine. Who does?"

"Speed and Horatio. They've seen my evals. Dad cleared them to know everything."

"Fine, I'll work with them. Thank you, Detective."

"Hold on, I wanna know."

Xander looked at him. "Ask Horatio. He said to answer that way when you or Calleigh got curious." He walked him up to the office, letting him go first. "Boss, one of my former training buddies was working with him."

"Is that pertinent at this time?" Horatio asked the agent.

That got a nod. "Yeah, I think so. Depends on what the kid knows and how you can help. We've got a bust coming up for a weapon's dealer and we need to tap into your stores of confiscated explosives. We just got done destroying when we ran into this one and don't have enough stored."

"We haven't had a major ring in a while. We have some old dynamite and things," he offered.

Xander coughed. "Can we clear the office?" Stetler looked at him and shook his head. "Unless you have a security clearance of twelve or better, go take ten and make sure no one else eavesdrops."

"You're trained," he said dryly, smirking at him.

"You'd be correct but you haven't passed the clearance and these guys have. You also have no need to know. Out. Go make sure people aren't eavesdropping."

"For now."

"For good." Xander slammed the door after him, looking at him. "You needed what made?"

"Um, mostly plastique." He pulled out a file and handed it over. "I was hoping you guys had some. The local Federal storage facility has some but only two pounds."

Xander looked at him. "Get me the ingredients?"

"What?" Speed asked.

Xander looked at him. "I had to learn how." He looked at the agent again. "Want it regulation, home cooked, or some odd mix?"

"He didn't say it had to be regulation. He didn't say it couldn't be home cooked. What can you do?"

"They taught me all of them, dude. What did he want?"

"Small balls suitable for construction applications."

Xander nodded. "Horatio gets to keep track of it afterward."

"Agreed," he assured him. "Lieutenant?"

"Fine with me," he agreed. "Xander?"

"I have the recipe in my phone, Horatio. I can do that. Get me the stuff. When do you need it and how much?"

"Three pounds to start as a test with a hint at twenty more coming."

Xander considered it. "How soon?"

"Tonight?"

Xander gave him a look. "You've got a kitchen and everything? It'll be too liquid and I'll have to make home cooked. The regulation, construction grade stuff takes a few days to dry out."

He considered it then nodded. "Agreed. If he asks, our contact couldn't get something right away. He'll want to test."

"Of course." He shrugged. "Calgon me."

"Thank you. Lieutenant?"

"I'll be coming with him. Can we do this here?"

"Nope," Xander said dryly. "Need an oven." He followed him out, batting Eric on the arm. "We'll be back tonight. Help Speed with his case. Get with me in the morning about the bashing and I'll see where I can help best."

"Sure," he said, looking confused. Speed came out. "What's going on?"

"They need something that Xander learned on a case up there," he said, frowning some. "He agreed as long as H watched his back and took control of it immediately afterward."

"How?" Stetler asked. "Since you seem to know?"

"Classified. Ask Horatio."

"See, he gave me that earlier too," Eric noted dryly.

Speed pulled out his phone and called a number Xander had given him. "Gibbs, Speedle in Miami. No, a small glitch in the summer internship stuff. ATF just showed up. They're down on what they need for something and someone referred them to Xander about his past internships. Yeah, that guy. No, it's started off questions in Delko's mind and Stetler's mind. Thank you." He looked at Rick. "He said I can't tell you and it's classified higher than you'll ever be. That's a quote. It came from a case at NCIS." Stetler stomped off. "Concentrate on the other one for now." He pulled Eric into the office and shut the door. "You've noticed Xander's a bit more trained than he should be, correct?"

"Yeah, but he said he interned at NCIS for three summers running, including one of just lab work because he was only seventeen."

"That's not all." He sat his best friend down and looked at him. "You've passed the background so I can tell you limited things."

"Whoa, slow down. Background checks?"

"Xander's got a fourteen for a security clearance," Speed said quietly. Eric looked more confused. "When he first moved in with his dad, Gibbs up at DC's NCIS branch..."

"That's how!"

"Yup, that's how he got in so early. Anyway, when he first moved up there, spooks started to realize what Xander had done back in Sunnydale thanks to a few loose lips," he said quietly. He sat down on the same couch, facing him. "The kid got offered a training program. Full stipend, he'd spend six of his nine weeks with them and then the last few interning wherever he wanted, which was with his dad."

"Who?"

"Langley," he mouthed. Eric stiffened. "He's got training in explosives, which is why Horatio's going now, and computer stuff, plus electronics."

"Think he could fix my computer?"

"Maybe. Ask him. He fixed Calleigh's microscope the other day." He shrugged. "We've seen his evaluation sheets. He got hired without that being known. His first day here, I brought him up here and he announced he had skills that hadn't been on his resume or forms. Then they sent me out of the room until they cleared me. I thought he was just a cocky brat, I was waiting on Horatio to knock him down," he noted dryly. "When I was allowed to come in a few later, they handed me the forms. He is a marksman on sixteen different weapons. He can make nearly any explosive we could ever need or see in the labs. He can hack. He's got a friend who hacks as well. He can do some electronics stuff. Some of that, as he told me a few days ago, came as incentive to pass the harder classes. Things like Physics and Calculus." Eric moaned at that. "The team treated him well and when he was doing good they taught him things as a reward, then the guys in the scary suits taught him more. That's why we had to get clearance to tell any of us anything and why Calleigh will be buried in the Everglades if she asks without Gibbs knowing and clearing her. Also why you will be if you let this slip."

"So he's Bond?"

"No. Not hardly," Speed noted sarcastically. "He's still very gay. He's not a gadget guy. He thinks they're cool to look at but he's pretty basic in most things. He likes things that go boom. That's why his internships with his dad were so intense. That and why he filled in now and then after classes. His father's a workaholic of the old school and some cases they work straight through the week without heading home. He was there helping a lot of times. The kid knows his shit. The kid has rough edges, he doesn't really understand people a whole lot. I'm pretty sure Gibbs and H have talked a few times about some things, like his stress habits. He's gotta have one. He's here because he learns better hands-on than from a lecture. That's why I make him do things repetitively until he can recite them and their uses and reasons in his sleep. Abby, their tech, had him certified in ballistics when he turned eighteen."

"So he's just as trained as us?"

"Rookie trained," Speed offered. "Maybe six-month-rookie trained. He's still got rough spots. People are definitely puzzles to him now and then. He still has real problems with women. He doesn't really like women and he warned me the first time we went to the clubs together that any woman attracted to him was a dangerous thing." Eric grinned at that. "Like they want to kill him, Eric. He wasn't joking. He was perfectly serious. Remember that. You both draw the same type." He shrugged. "That's why Xander breaks out in skills every now and then. Sometimes it's the only course he sees. He's learning how to integrate them and hide them better this summer. That way people don't ask. Everyone up there either knew, had a hint, or had a connection who told them. Down here he's learning how to be subtle."

"Then why is he going with Horatio?"

"They needed a bit more plastique than they had on hand for a bust," Speed noted quietly. "Xander got taught how to cook."

"You're joking, right?" Speed gave him a look. "Please tell me that you're joking?"

"Not joking. He's got the recipes in his phone from what he just said. He's also said repeatedly that he's not going to work for the people who trained him. Every now and then they pop up to bother him. He punched one a few days ago when we were at a scene and one walked up to him and tried to get him to come in for a case. It was kinda pretty. Horatio even looked pleased at his right hook. His goal is to end up working on his dad's team at NCIS some year. That's why he's so interested in the field work stuff, even though he's got a very solid grounding in the labs. Horatio knows this. He and the kid have talked a number of times. Especially after that sniper thing."

"That was him?"

Speed grimaced but nodded. "Yeah, he was having lunch and they couldn't get anyone qualified who could do the job. They called H since he used to be qualified, H called Xander, Xander showed up and presented his credentials. They let him have it. It was a really bad shot. It saved lives. Xander got sick later. He hates having to do that. That's one reason why he won't go with them. That and they probably wanted him to do some sex jobs since he's one of the few flamingly gay people in this job." Eric nodded at that. "You've seen Gibbs' team, right?"

"Pictures. Why?"

"He's got the most massive crush on his second, Tony. He goes for slightly older but still fun. He also needs a boyfriend. It'd help." Eric snorted and nodded at that. "So, if you know someone, introduce them. Don't try for subtle. Xander's not used to subtle. Just pull him over and stick him in front of the guy with a 'this is..., he's cute and gay too' introduction." Eric cracked a smile with that. "He likes working with us. He's said this is as great to him as working up there is. He loves the case load, he loves the city, he might be back next year. He's still learning and he's more than happy to learn. Hell, he was happy he got the dumpster job because I made him get inside," he noted blandly, making Eric laugh at that. "Really, he was. He said it was all good for learning." He waved a hand. "The kid's odd, but he's a good kid and he's a nice kid. We've got to make him relax more often and get him laid, but he's doing good. Right now I'd give him excellent marks in the labs and in the field. Your case is going to be personal to him."

"He's already said that."

"Good. Work with him on it. He's got to push his comfort boundaries out to work in the field. He's going to run into abuse cases and things that're going to make him ache and he's got to figure out how to put up the shield and not be as affected by them."

"Was he?"

"Yes," Speed noted. "Physical from drunken parents and a few times of sexual abuse as a teenager. He bluntly stated one was when he was thirteen and he was payment for a poker debt and the other he was sixteen and had been kicked out, he had just barely met his father then. It allowed him the space to get to know him and relax with him."

"So those are going to be harder." Eric sighed. "This one too."

"Yup but we all had to find that same skill." Eric nodded that he had. "So we'll start to push his boundaries back now that we know what he can do. At the very least, if he doesn't qualify for NCIS because he's a newbie when he graduates, maybe Miami will have a new CSI that'll be a kick ass guy with us. I trust Xander just like I do Horatio at a bad scene."

"He'll come back," Eric said. "He could've went anywhere with those connections."

Speed grinned. "He didn't use them. His references were the lab tech he trained under, Abby, and Ducky, their ME who Alexx knows. H said he refused to give others and stated that he didn't want to use any of the ones he had done up there. He let his past work and his transcripts talk for him."

"Gutsy."

"He handed the boss a stack of information from his past case work. He said it listed case type and what tests were run during it and what he did during it. It was a pretty comprehensive list."

"Then I'm really impressed. Gibbs made him work?"

"Gibbs is a Marine."

"Never mind. He's probably a hardass who rode him the whole time. That's why the kid needs more fun."

"Maybe. I'm not sure. I know that's his rep. What did the ATF agent take off for?"

"Xander spooked him. He told the kid he had worked with someone named Beth recently and Xander said she was a training buddy. So I'm guessing they went there together?"

"Probably. He had three summers there. They paid for his college too. Even for messing him up farther, they've been good to the kid." He smiled smugly. "So, you're good with this knowledge?"

Eric considered it then nodded. "I am. He's a good kid and he's working hard to learn from you and the rest of us. He's always happy to help out and volunteers for stuff. Plus he makes Calleigh smile and giggle at his bad jokes. And hey, he dresses worse than you."

"Not funny, Eric." He stood up. "You can't tell. You can't even let on that you know except to the four of us. H, me, Xander, and you." Eric nodded at that. "This does mean that we can come to you for help if the spooks come back."

"Sure. If he needs it."

"Now and then everyone needs it, Eric. That's a fact of life. Now, let's go over my case. It's going to get messy."

"I saw the bastard. Why?"

"Dirty IAB officer," he said dryly. Eric moaned. "Yeah. All we're missing is a chem report. The only evidence pointing away from him is a goat hair."

"You can find some of those even in Miami," Eric pointed out. They left, leaving Stetler there. "Have fun?"

"I want to know."

"Then talk to Horatio."

"He said he can't."

Speed looked at him. "If he can't I certainly can't. Talk to NCIS." He walked off with Eric. "We'll end up finding his skeleton in the everglades in a few years," he said.

"That might be fun." They shared a look and Speed grinned. "One less headache for Horatio." They walked into the lab and closed the door when they found Calleigh in there. "Having fun?"

"A lot. Why?" She looked at them. "Xander called and said he had run the ballistics. Can I help?"

"Already handed it over," Speed offered. "Only one chem test still going. "

"Do we know who?"

Speed nodded. "Yeah, bad IAB," he said quietly. She shuddered. "So we're good." They all smiled and he relaxed. It'd be okay.

***