Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


 

"What happens if it's before they planned?"

 

"The tags bring them to the first planet if they have to come up early, that way they don't have to worry about arriving in the middle of a winter. We've got enough empty places on the various worlds to house people until everything can go to their permanent places and they can start work. That way nothing freezes in houses that are empty." The others nod in satisfaction.

 

"Is everything coming out in the way of supplies?"

 

"No, they're keeping back a good selection of them just like we did when all of us came up. This way if something happens they have supplies there before they can move offworld."

 

"Did you get everything planted?"

 

"Yeah, and I've got more barrels of olives to put in the root cellar. Both green and black." David makes a disgusted face and Josette sniggers.

 

"The Llamas?"

 

"Yarn is being spun from the fleeces right now."

 

"Cotton?"

 

"Delivered it to the factory, the announcement went out this morning."

 

"Underwear?"

 

"The factory is starting up again next year. Male underwear, then female, and finally kids. Bras. Then finally socks." Josette looks up from her notes. The others nod. "The orders should take two years to complete." More nods.

 

The last offworld harvest is coming in at the same time Josette is off picking the green peppers on the first planet. Heading to the other planets she sells part of the green peppers and puts the rest on strings to dry or in stasis. The last harvests start coming in and everybody slumps into seats in the living room.

 

"First planet?"

 

"All in, I took the ripe peppers, herbs, and tomatoes out while I was picking up the recycling." Josette says without opening her eyes.

 

"Good. So we're all ready to head off with the students, Principal Madison, and Professor Druid in a couple days.

 

Josette nods. "Three trips, one to Granda's dimension, one to the other, and a third to Doc's."

 

"Extruded plastic?"

 

"Picked it up while I was picking up the recycling. I'll go out after the next batch and start constuction again. That will give the others something to build on."

 

Josette delivers the last of the orders for the year at the warehouse while the boys handle the special orders. The students trail off to an auditorium for their graduation ceremony or meeting their family if they have later ones or are spending break with their family. Josette talks to Calvin for a few minutes and heads home. They take care of the recycling and spend a few days shopping for stuff while spending time with their families before taking the returning students, Principal Madison, and Professor Druid home. The floor monitors greet the students to make sure they haven't brought back anything they shouldn't have. Because there's always one student who thinks they can sneak something in past the floor monitors.

 

Six weeks later for them they return from the other dimension, the others joining her on her visit to Doc's world. . .or rather the Vegas of Doc's world.

 

"Is everything delivered now?"

 

"Everything but the latest batch of supplies for the 10th planet, I'll take them out when I get another batch and pick up the rest of the framing." The others nod as they walk to the dining hall for dinner.

 

A few days later Josette brings out the quilts she'd been working on at the Albatross Nest, the others looking the over.

 

"How many do you have left?"

 

"Too damn many, it will be a couple decades before I get them all done." Josette grumbles something. Agatha chuckles. The others look at her. "Ahhh, Bronwen won the argument?"

 

"Yes, the first book is going to be on sale at my next show, self-published and I'll be signing copies. The run starts the first of the year. Yes, you'll all be given a chance to purchase them when they're available, there will be copies at each store." The others nod in satisfaction.

 

"You're going to be famous Josette." Sue smirks.

 

"Buffalo chips."

 

"Changing the subject, but how are things coming on the tenth planet?"

 

"I have some stuff up, I'll have another batch of extruded plastic next semester and finish what I have started, that way they can decide on what they want next."

 

"When are they coming up?"

 

"About five years. . .give or take. They're working on getting stuff ready to bring out when they do leave. The closer we get the more the more exact the date."

 

"Are you bringing out supplies?"

 

"Got a batch on the ship right now, I'll take them out when I get the other stuff next semester and the plastic." Nods from everybody as they gather up the dishes and put the leftovers in containers. Everything's washed up and Josette is handed the leftovers as everybody heads to their homes. At the dorm she puts everything away and heads upstairs to the growing area, starting seeds in the hydroponics unit since the twins are in the greenhouse and the boys bar Alan is planting in the growing areas.

 

"Josette, blue corn?" David asks from the door.

 

"Yeah, plant me about three rows." He nods and heads back to the growing area.

 

Josette yawns after lunch as she puts a couple extra quilts on the bed.

 

"Snow by morning." David says.

 

"Yeah, it's not going to be a lot of snow but it's going to be damn cold for the next couple of weeks."

 

It's snowing when Josette gets up the next morning and she puts on a pair of thermal underwear on under her regular clothes before breakfast.

 

By the Lights Festival Josette has replicated advance copies of her book and the printing building is ready for the order as the others talk in the living room, shooing the kids away. The fact that Momma Clarinda had just come back from the other dimension has Josette sighing.

 

"We should be afraid of all our families plotting, shouldn't we?" David asks facetiously. The others nod slowly.

 

"Yep." Josette drawls, looking over her advance copy of the book she'd just replicated. Bronwen takes it when she's done and nods in satisfaction. "How big is the initial run?"'

 

"Five hundred copies?" Josette asks. Bronwen looks at her. "Five thousand copies?" She looks at her again. "This is a vanity press type book, it's not going to get all that much demand." Bronwen still looks at her and Josette sighs. "Okay, fifty thousand but I still think I'll have rooms full of books forever."

 

"Good insulation." David smirks.

 

"Not between all the planets and the shows." Bronwen says. "I wouldn't be surprised if you have to do a second printing after the second book is announced."

 

"OI Vey." Josette facepalms then disappears, the others following her seconds later. Josette reappears and sighs. "We'll be back in an hour, I'm heading off on Ulonda." She splits off a duplicate and heads off.

 

"Do we wanna know?" Mom Covington asks, her eyebrow raised as she joggles Gabriella, who's fussing as her mother warms a bottle.

 

"Not the only ones this time, a group from the 9th planet got tapped too."

 

Josette shakes her head when she merges with her other self after they return. "My life is fucking weird."

 

"At least you weren't the only one this time." David says. "Can somebody check this out? A few ideas I had for a fire unit." The file is picked up on various PADDS, the others talking after lunch over that.

 

"Do you need this?" Doc asks.

 

"All our buildings are protected inside and out but what happens if a lightning strike causes a wildfire? Better safe than sorry."

 

"Do you have a way of detecting them?"

 

"We're going to be expanding the probes over the next couple of years, both the number of probes and updating the programming. If they detect smoke we can investigate."

 

"Are you thinking foam?"

 

"Yeah, but we need a way to carry it, distribute it, and make sure it takes the fire out with the first drop. Or quickly reload." The others nod. "Now the cities could easily drop the foam like the flying tankers did on Earth but. . ."

 

"A smaller unit is more maneuverable."

 

"And a drop that big would be overkill."

 

After the Lights Festival Josette talks with the printing press operators, getting chuckles and nods. The first day of the new semester Josette slides into her seat.

 

"Check in on the factories?"

 

"Yes, everything's coming along well. The underwear and towel factories started operation last week, the printing building is chugging along and the other factories are dealing with the new or expanded orders."

 

"Doctorates?"

 

"I'm a semester into the one from the other dimension and plan on working on my dissertation again this summer. I'm starting the second 'semester' for the other one and plan on finishing the dissertation this year so I can present it next summer."

 

"10th planet?"

 

"Working on that over the break this semester when I pick up the next batch of building materials. I'll be dropping off more supplies then too."

 

"Are they still on track to be coming out in about five years?"

 

"Yeah, barring a total cluster fuck emergency that brings them out ahead of time."

 

"Tea services?"

 

Josette sighs. "Me and my big mouth. But yes, we should have the first ones finished for sale this year."

 

"The orders still not slowing down?" President Bartlett's lips twitch.

 

"No. Who is buying all this stuff?" Josette waves her hands. Her loving family .. .and yes she counts President Bartlett as a doting uncle after being around him so long laughs at her. "Did you get some input on the fire stuff?" She asks David. He nods, bringing up his original ideas first, then the suggestions the others had made.

 

"Cooking?"

 

"I'm five blocks in, I try to take two a year. I started another cooking degree last fall."

 

"Are the teachers overwhelmed by all the students?"

 

"No, they're enjoying themselves. They love the idea of students from the other worlds taking the classes during their winters, there's always a block going. They're passing along everything to the others back home and we might have another batch of teachers coming out in the next few years as they add more blocks."

 

"Are they staying five years?"

 

"Somewhere around there." Josette makes a yes, no, maybe hand waggle. "They're not real certain. They love the range of students, not just professionals but housewives."

 

"Not really the typical student they'd have on Earth." Principal Madison says, his lips twitching. "How are you on your classes David?"

 

"I'm not quite halfway through the second year for the bachelors over there. And three years into the degree on Tarzan this year."

 

"The others?"

 

"Susan's going to be a year into her masters, she's starting to pull together the notes for her thesis, the others are three years into their bachelors. And CJ's starting a bachelors from Cambridge this year." Josette says. "Are you two going a semester or a year a year?"

 

"A year a year, we can handle four classes with the longer semester."

 

"You're going to be making quilts for decades." David says, looking at the bags of material lined up like books on the shelves.

 

"Longer, I keep getting hit by more ideas. I write them down, when I fill another pad I'll buy the stuff to make them. I want to get some more of these made up first." Josette looks at the full shelves and sighs, then grins. "Yeah, I know. Idle hands are the devil's workshop and a clean room is the sign of a sick mind." David snorts.

 

"Is this your book?" David picks up a book with a familiar picture on the back.

 

"Yeah, it's an advance copy I replicated to make any changes that was needed before the order went to the printers."

 

"Are the books going for sale at the stores?"

 

"Yeah, Agatha's throwing a party at the Albatross Nest when the print run is finished. She's done it before for other new authors. . .It makes me realize just how damn influential she was in the crafting community."

 

The next few weeks pass quickly and Josette heads with the others but David to Eureka for their first testing week. CJ comes through a few minutes later and they stand outside breathing the warm air before starting their tests.

 

"Books?"

 

"Order should be done by the end of the semester." Josette hands Vincent a handful of books she brings out of subspace. "Advance copies of the cookbooks that are going to be printed over the next couple years." Vincent smiles. "I'll look them over and get back to you Josette."

 

"Thanks, we can proofread all we want but there's always something that slips through. We're hoping multiple eyes can catch any oops before they go to print. After lunch Josette heads to the 9th planet, dropping off advance copies at the cafe and JSA headquarters. The others stop what they were doing to pick up the books and start to read.

 

Josette grins and heads back to the dorm, taking off her outside clothes and hanging them up in the front of the building.

 

"Get all the cookbooks handed out?" Principal Madison asks, waving her over at dinner.

 

"Yeah, Mom, Ma, and Mom all have copies. Vincent has copies on Archimedes and I dropped off copies at the cafe and JSA headquarters on the 9th planet. If everything looks good they should start printing the first ones after the Harvest Festival. If there's problems, we can catch it early, update the files, and they can still print after the Harvest Festival." Everybody in earshot sniggers.

 

The end of the semester comes sooner than anybody had expected and Josette is busy picking up the extruded plastic and recycling, then heading to the other dimensions to drop off orders and pick up more supplies.

 

"Do you have everything done?" David asks when Josette slides into her seat at dinner.

 

"Yeah, everything is now up on the 10th planet along with the supplies, I sent pictures and other information back to show them how everything is progressing so they can make additional plans. The new supplies are all delivered and part of the book order is on Atlantis, the rest is in the dorm. That way we've got the books for the show." The boys snigger at her hangdog look. "Harvey would be rolling on the floor laughing his ass off over the book. At least until he realized that you'd dedicated it to him. Then he'd be cussing like Sarah." the others laugh and nod.

 

"Towels?"

 

"I'll be delivering the orders before the Harvest Festival. Men's underwear was delivered to the planets and the stock at the store is refreshed, I'll deliver the women's then too." The others nod.

 

"Pasta and flour?"

 

"At the store or at various homes. Including ours." David nods. "We were running low on stuff. Are you growing chickpeas this year?"

 

"Planted them with the corn and the butternut squash."

 

A few days later Josette arrives at the Albatross Nest for the signing party, bringing out boxes of books that Agatha opens and puts on a table in the middle of the room. "Sue's store?"

 

"I delivered the books, they'll put them out tomorrow." Agatha nods in satisfaction as the links start activating and people start coming in either from there or the doors.

 

Agatha raises her voice. "Thank you everybody for coming to Josette's first signing party. The first of many." Josette moans as everybody laughs.

 

"Josette, what's the status on the cookbooks?" Marian asks.

 

"Advance copies were passed out and are being looked at. If there's no problems they start printing after the Harvest Festival." The others grin. "First book will be available at the store after the Lights Festival.

 

Josette's shaking her head when she slides into her seat at the dining hall for dinner. "Bronwen was right, 458 books sold today."

 

The others snicker. "Everybody was there, Smallville, Cabot Cove, the Amish women. . ."

 

The crops are in when Josette heads off Calvin's dimension, signing books at the table set up as people line up for them.

 

"Who was Harvey?" More than one person asks as they read the dedication.

 

"My first agent, the boys second. He got me beyond thinking 'old sheets are art? You're nuts.' and made me what I am today. We lost him a few years ago. Our youngest son is named for him."

 

"How many books?" Calvin asks after the show.

 

"They're still counting. But Marcus had a stack of boxes this tall empty." David smirks, holding out his hand to nearly his waist. "And they were flattened to save room."

 

"That's why I had you print so many." Bronwen smirks. "How many books sold at the party?"

 

"458." Bronwen laughs. "I signed more for Sue's store."

 

"Did you leave Marcus any for later sales?"

 

Josette nods as she stands up. "7500 books beyond what we brought out for the show."

 

They return to Haven six weeks later for them, Josette working the recycling and hitting various malls and warehouse stores.

 

"How many books?"

 

"4,702. Out of the five thousand we brought off Atlantis for the show." David sniggers. "Who buys self-published books by a quilter nobody has ever heard of?"

 

"You're a well known artist and you've shown your quilts at the shows before." Susan smirks. "Tea services?"

 

"Yeah, we took out nearly a hundred and had just as many requests as the first show."

 

The book sales are nearly as good at the other show and Josette shakes her head as she takes off her shoes in the rooms. The boys are nodding off on the couch and David shakes his head as he gets everybody up and moving to bed.

 

The second crops are coming in and Josette's busy with the offworld harvests, sliding into her seat at the dining hall a couple days before the Harvest Festival.

 

"Did you get your dissertation finished?" David asks.

 

"Yeah, I'll check the file this fall and winter so I can upload it next spring."

 

"Towels and women's underwear?"

 

"Delivered to the other planets and the stocks are refilled at the store. The kids underwear will be ready for delivery at the end of the year along with the bras, the socks will be ready for delivery spring next year. That will hold us for several years." The others nod.

 

After dinner the boxes of towels and other stuff is opened and passed around to various bathrooms, the rest being put way in the storeroom at the front of the dorm. Josette nearly inhales a mouthful of water as she yawns in a hot tub and she turns in early. She leans around the door of her first floor room at Principal Madison's quiet call and chuckles.

 

"I take it this is the reason why you disappeared before the Lights Festival?" Josette laughs and nods, getting hugs from various people then taps on David's door. "David, they're here." David leans around the door and nods. "Heading?"

 

"Yeah, I'll be back in a few. Take them upstairs to the second area for rooms while the others are. . ." Josette catches Harvey as he runs from the nursery, putting him in David's arms before she uses the switching station. More than one blink and waving hand.

 

"Switching station, it allows us to travel between worlds beyond Josette's ships." David says.

 

"They're here." Josette says in a sing-song voice, leaning around the door at JSA headquarters where a quick x-ray vision glance has shown the others to be. "Or rather, they're there."

 

"The dorm?" Rick asks.

 

Josette nods. "Principal Madison said he just sighed when he found people standing around looking confused and took them to the dorm when he recognized the latest Mom." Rick laughs as he sends out messages to the others.

 

The others have come back out of their rooms when Josette and the others start arriving from the switching station, people hugging those lost from their world, and talking as everybody heads to the dining hall for breakfast.

 

"How many children?" More than one person asks as everybody fills trays and settles down in the back room, Principal Madison among them.

 

"A hundred twenty-six, twenty still living at home. Summer and her age group are 14 and in the 9th grade, the younger kids are 11 and in the sixth grade, while the babies turned two a few months ago. The older kids range in age from 98 to 24."

 

"Why so many . .." Charles McNider asks. His fellow doctor Kent Nelson is interested in the answer as well.

 

"Children at one time? The Covingtons have a genetic quirk that causes multiples in the family more often than normal. With them being pregnant so often, it's resolved into a 'one kid per momma' pregnancy and a 'oh shit, we're having how many kids?' pregnancy. It doesn't help that when one of them ends up pregnant, they all generally are pregnant."

 

"I couldn't handle that many children. . ." more than one person says. "Especially home-schooling them. I understand that. . ."

 

"Sarah was the oldest, she died when she was 55. She was married to my oldest son, they would have been 101. Katrina and Susan gave birth within days of each other."

 

After lunch they walk back to the dorm, getting a small tour when they see the ranch house in a doorway. They shake their heads at some things, nod at others, and sigh when they come across the wall of remembrance.

 

"How many books?" Inza moans as she sees boxes stocked five high filling nearly three rooms. When she'd asked, David had shrugged and said they were copies of Josette's first book.

 

"About 24,000. Bronwen is positive that a 50,000 run was a good idea but I'm still not so sure." Josette says, rolling her eyes. "I thought 500 was a good run for a self-published book by somebody they'd never heard of, she just laughed at me and said that we'd sell that many just here."

 

"And she was right, Josette sold 458 at the signing party Agatha had at the Albatross Nest. There's more at the stores for those people who couldn't make the party. And sold five times that many at the shows." Josette walks off grumbling under her breath, much to the amusement of the others.

 

"Oh my . . ."

 

"Josette's studio, where she does a lot of her work. She's got more workrooms down the hall where she does more, a work building she shares with Alexander and Michael where they work on special requests, and a work area in the basement of the textiles building."

 

"How big?"

 

"75 floors. Each floor is about three times as big as the entire dorm."

 

"And I'm still not sure I found it all." Josette says, peering around the door of the sock room. "We gotta splice skeins this weekend." David nods.

 

"Splice skeins?"

 

"Josette makes socks for both this school and Calvin's in the other dimension. It started back on Earth when she was making socks for the school, to sell at the flea market, and on both the school's webpage and hers. Each skein in two pounds and produces four one color socks or eight two color with a little left over. We splice the partial skeins when Josette gets a container of them, four partial skeins makes a hank and we can get two pair of socks out of them."

 

"And after those socks are done?"

 

"The scraps are put in a bag and given to the textiles building to use for projects. It's usually enough to tie a quilt."

 

 

 

"Josette, how many books do you still have?" Bronwen asks when she comes out for the Harvest Festival.

 

"About 24,000, give or take. Don't tell me that Marcus is running low. I know there was probably a good bit of interest on the website after the show but really. . ." Bronwen chuckles.

 

"Ellis wants to offer them at his place, though there's a good bit of demand on the website. People are buying tickets so they can get a signed copy." Josette rolls her eyes up at the ceiling at the cackles of laughter from Lords Strife and Loki. "Can they do another run?"

 

"Not unless they add a second shift at the printers. After the festival they're going to be starting runs for the cookbooks. That's going to be through at least the end of next year."

 

"Gimme." David cackles and ducks into the replicator room, handing her over an armful of books.

 

"Did you start on another book?"

 

Josette grumbles as David cackles. "2nd one finished." He jerks a thumb upward, his face buried in Alexander's shoulder. "A third one finished?" Jerked thumb upward again. "Four?"

 

"Yes, all the quilts I currently have finished, including a book on my patchwork quilts." She shoves David who laughs again and prints advance copies again.

 

"I'm definitely going to talk to the printers." Bronwen sighs as she puts the books on the coffee table, her mother and a brother grabbing some of them.

 

"Cookbooks?" Hannah asks.

 

"We've been working on them for a while. We've got about a dozen sets of the advance copies out so that we can see if anything was wrong before they were printed."

 

"This one is stuff most people don't grow?" Bronwen's brother asks.

 

"Yeah, we're hoping the cookbook will get more people interested in them when we do grow them. The serious cooks know them of course. . ."

 

"So you're gearing this one to the common housewife." He nods in satisfaction, turning the pages again. The book is arranged strangely, with a section on the food, then the recipes. He'll have to remember this format when he works on a new book.

 

 

 

"Does Josette sleep in here?" Clarinda asks, looking at the twin bed in the room Josette had walked out of a couple days ago. She's got so much room, why doesn't she. . .

 

"Not anymore." a male voice behind her chuckles and she turns to see the man she'd been introduced to as Dr. Pieter Cross who, strange as it might seem, had given birth to Josette in his dimension. It had been . . .interesting to meet the other women who Josette had called Mom. Katrina was married to Principal Madison and even if Josette didn't call them Mom and Dad it was obvious they were her parents.

 

Mom Clarinda was like her, a single mother until Josette had died while in Momma Clarinda's universe Josette's father had lived and they had other children. While Pieter and Josette's father had given birth to her in their respective dimensions.

 

"That door." he points to the first door on the left, "Goes up to Josette's second floor bedroom. It's also got an opening to the second floor so she doesn't have to run up and down the stairs every time." During one of the many expansions of the dorm the linked rooms had been given their own doorways so the original rooms were also there. "She's got a circular staircase up to her library on the third floor."

 

"And it needs to be expanded again." Alexander says around the two pieces of yarn in his mouth. Spitting them out he lines the ends up and starts rolling it on the table, making it one piece of yarn. Finding the other end he grabs the next partial skein in front of him.

 

"Do you have plans?" James asks. David drops the yarn he'd just picked up and sends the file to his Dad. "Josette and I have been working on it for a while. Still the same basic outline but expanded and rooms on the different floors between bookcases. So expanding out and up." James snickers at one page.

 

"Oh tell me you didn't put that picture up of the library being in a tower." Josette rolls her eyes. She turns to the chair with it's back to her and starts winding the yarn around it, twisting the hank and tucking the ends in to make it neat before dropping it into the container on the table. Without her having to say anything Harvey brings out more skeins from the container, putting them on the table to sort into colors with his brother and sisters.

 

"Well, it is 18 floors already." David smirks.

 

Josette calls him something rude in Ancient. Clarinda looks at the door and Josette. She waves a hand and Clarinda opens the door, nodding as the lights come up automatically. "Motion sensor?"

 

"Ten minutes if there's not activity, in rooms where we're liable to be working quietly we can shut it off and leave the lights on. That way the lights don't go out on me when I'm reading something or taking classes." James follows her up the stairs, going to the other staircase in the room as she looks around in satisfaction.

 

 

 

 

"Do they always do this?" Dr. McNider walks down the streets filled with tables.

 

"Every year since nearly the beginning. The eighth planet has a smaller version when their third harvests come in. They have a second festival at the end of the year that grew out of Christmas since with the longer year they could be celebrating twice a year." Nods from everybody. "There they decorate the buildings with lights, have hot cider for the kids, mulled wine for the adults who want it, and roast chestnuts over the same setups that make the paella."

 

"Is everybody from the other planets here?"

 

"Pretty much, with the time difference they can come out and look then either head home for work or stay in the temporary housing units. There's usually something different on the tables every day of the festival."

 

"How long do they last?"

 

"This one three days, the Lights Festival is two days, the end of the current year and the start of the new year."

 

"Students?"

 

"The festival always takes place during the second break for the school, so that students could both attend and run errands for the adults to make a little extra money. Josette will be heading off after the festival to pick up the students who are going to be starting school next year, this stretches out the arrival time over a couple weeks so everybody's not overwhelmed at the school, gives them time to talk to their advisors. . .especially if they're in dual enrollment, and gives them time to get used to everything before they start school. And take in orders to the other dimensions and take more belongings back for the students who are graduating this year. That way they just have a couple of bags when they head home."

 

"Is your school just a high school?"

 

"It was at first, but Dad's school takes students in as young as ten. Most people don't want their children being gone for so long at that young an age but there's always some who can't be bothered to be parents. We have students in several years, starting in sixth grade through twelfth grade. A good portion of them are signed up for dual enrollment and taking university classes while they're here."

 

"Is there any problems with being gone so long?"

 

"No because even those students who aren't taking dual enrollment will enter university as a junior." The others nod in satisfaction. After the Harvest Festival they head to the 9th planet, either staying in the hotel, the guest houses in Eureka, or extra bedrooms of family and friends. The children are a shock to some of them but they get over it quickly.

 

Kent shakes his head as he sees where the other version of his eldest son had lived. If he and Carter were on digs they'd both call it a nice little base camp but. . . The building upstairs being converted into a home is a little better but Kent still has to wonder what kind of life his children lived in that other dimension.

 

"What's that building?" He points to a building by the edge of the cliff.

 

"Josette's house when she's on the 9th planet. She put it there since about fifty miles out is where the ships land when they're here. The sunsets and moonrises are wonderful on the water."

 

"It's so small."

 

"It's bigger on the inside than it looks." Billy chuckles. He heads that way.

 

"It's not locked?"

 

"Biosensors, that way nobody's got to bothered with keys and the doors open if somebody's got their arms full. During harvests we just leave the doors open since so many people are going in and out all the time."

 

"Good lord." Kent looks around the room.

 

"Josette said it was five levels above her and eight below? Or was that five levels below her and eight above. Plus outlying areas."

 

"Outlying areas?"

 

"An enclosed roof garden, a growing area inside. A medical unit. Gymnasium levels and library." Billy looks at the large open area then the ceiling. Kent blinks. "Josette said she got it from the Great Hall ceiling in the Harry Potter books."

 

"The view is magnificent."

 

Billy nods. "Josette's got a whole wall of windows that you can't see from the outside. I think she's added onto it over the last couple of years."

 

 

"Did Bronwen talk to the printers?" David asks when Josette slides into her seat at the government building while a half-dozen of her other selves are offloading food from the offworld harvests while another has just brought out another batch of students.

 

"Yes, they're starting a second shift for the books. I took about five thousand out to Ellis's warehouse complex for him to sell when he opens again."

 

"How are they coming on putting up the new buildings and giving him a new stock?"

 

"Good, a good chunk of the buildings are finished and they'll be filling them over the winter while they can't build more. He should be back in business in five years. He's going to have a grand reopening sale, with a number of one day free memberships for the looky-lous."

 

"If they see what they like they may buy memberships." Doc says. Josette nods. "The real crafters will enjoy not having to pay shipping. The posers will whine about the prices and 'they don't have anything you can find at Walmart'." David leans his head on the table and cackles.

 

"Did you talk to Dad?"

 

"Yes, after looking at my library and shaking his head they're working on a plan to incorporate six rooms in a snowflake pattern on each floor and add more floors. Once we get everything figured out, the boys and I will make furniture on one of the ships for the new areas."

 

President Bartlett slides into his seat at the government building. "Sorry I'm late."

 

"You really didn't need to come, I know you're busy with the new students."

 

"I needed a break." he smiles. "It's not as bad as before we lost Earth but . . ."

 

"It's still a lot of students to talk to." Josette says.

 

"Offworld harvests?"

 

"Done by the second testing week."

 

"Are we going to have one for the tenth world?"

 

"Not unless they show they need one, even then it would probably only be one offworld harvest." President Bartlett nods in satisfaction. "Now, deliveries?"

 

"Yep, I've got one on the ship I'll drop off along with the one I pick up after Thanksgiving."

 

"How is it there?"

 

"The dust in the air from the volcanoes is beginning to affect the growing seasons like we expected. It might be getting warmer and the ice cap melting, but it's also. . ."

 

"Getting colder." President Bartlett nods. "To be expected. It took a while before we found out what was going on with all the shit in the air."

 

"Are you copying anything for them?"

 

"Oh yes." Josette says. "Every time I go out I either copy something new or update the copies I have." The others nod in satisfaction.

 

"About five more years?"

 

"Unless something drastically happens one way or the other. The volcanic activity isn't letting up, ranging from the Hawaiian volcanoes that increased the islands to massive eruptions that took out a lot of people or just kicking up dust. The vulcanologists are having field days at all the activity. Earthquakes are picking up, they don't know if the earthquakes are causing all the volcanic activity or vice versa?"

 

"And Doc's in the middle of it?" Josette nods. "This way he keeps an eye on everything and passes his findings on to those in know of the government."

 

"Is all the dust being kicked up causing lung problems?" Doc asks.

 

"Yeah, just like the smog we used to have on Earth and after Mount St. Helens. In a way we were lucky in that while we had everything kicked up in the atmosphere, it was in the upper atmosphere and we didn't breathe in all that shit. They are. If you're in the range of a volcano, you don't leave the house without a mask covering your face."

 

After the meeting Josette stops to the bakery then heads to the pizzeria at the school, nodding at the woman behind the register before filling three plates at the buffets and sitting down. A chuckling has her looking up as Professor Ziegler sits down with his own plates.

 

"Orientation done?"

 

"They were starting the tour when I came in." Josette nods and starts eating her salad. "How many more days?"

 

"Eighth day."

 

"I expect in a few years it will be three weeks." Josette nods. "We're getting more students arriving every year, we're getting more students graduating every year."

 

After her five plates of pizza and three of various salads Josette stacks plates on the table and heads to the dorm, working on a quilt for a few hours until dinner. Joining with her other selves she walks to the dining hall with the others. They look at the full tables on the screens, not just with the students but with the new teachers and other school employees who had come out that summer.

 

"How are you coming on your degrees?"

 

"I've finished another bachelors from the other dimension, this makes five. I'm three 'classes' from my electrical engineering doctorate, I'm checking the dissertation over the break before I upload it next spring, and I'm a year into the one from the other dimension. I gotta send the diss to my advisor and get it approved before I go too much farther."

 

"Your bachelors here?"

 

"I'm going to two years into three degrees by finals, nine classes into the degree from the naval academy I started this spring, and a year into my fifth degree from Assyrian's cooking school. Means I'll be getting another year's worth of books over the break when I get the supplies for spring semester."

 

"How many blocks have you taken from the other cooking school?"

 

"Eight blocks by Thanksgiving."

 

"It's been five years, are any of them heading home?"

 

"Not for another three years at least. Another batch of teachers is coming out next year since this year ends another five year contract for the school. They're going to be adding new classes."

 

"Does everybody have most of their belongings back in the other dimension."

 

"Most of them, I'm making another trip with the ship over our midterms to take the last of the containers out." On the screen for the front room Principal Madison nods in thanks.

 

"Is the second printing of your book going to be finished by Thanksgiving?"

 

"Should." Josette points her fork at David. "Yeah, I know we'll probably need to take more books out. I'll move some of them to the ship as they're printed." David nods then yawns. "Going to be rain by bedtime." Josette nods.

 

Frances comes to the back room and talks quietly with Josette. She nods and Frances smiles before heading back to the front room. "Wanting to know if I had yarn scraps, they're needed for a class on tied quilts. I'll take them over tomorrow." Josette sighs and covers her eyes.

 

"Another book, tied quilts this time?" Anna asks, her lips twitching suspiciously.

 

"Yes, thankfully I don't have enough tied quilts for one."

 

David snorts. "I'm sure between Frances, Sue, and Agatha, you'd have enough tied quilts for a book." In the front room Professor Druid is giggling while Principal Madison is smirking and repeating what David's saying to Frances who'd nodding so hard she looks like a bobble-head doll. Josette makes a rude gesture in his direction under the table figuring if they can't see it from the other room, they can't call her on it. Professor Druid giggles again. Principal Madison sighs. "Josette, just because we can't see what you're doing, doesn't mean we don't know what you're doing."

 

"How many books does Josette have finished?"

 

"Four, right now the printers are working on a second run for her first book, then they'll be printing the others."

 

In the back room Josette suddenly smirks. "You know, I'm really being very selfish."

 

"Okay, I don't wanna know but I'm gonna ask anyway." Alexander drawls. "How?"

 

"I'm taking all the glory of being an author for myself. I should get Bronwen to talk to the others at the Albatross Nest. They've all been quilting a lot longer than I have and they're really the ones to write a book on Americana and quilts. Some of the old quilts are works of art that need to be archived for the future. I know the Amish quilters probably wouldn't be interested, but there's a quilting group in Smallville. Or there was."

 

"Ooohhhh, way to pass the buck." Anna cackles. "And it's even a good idea, some of the old quilts do need to be preserved. Back then there were no quilting books, blogs, patterns, or magazines, it was all handed down by grandma." She grabs her PADD and sends that along to Agatha, who sighs when she gets the message. She sends back one and gets the full story.

 

Mischief managed for the night Josette fills her bowl with salad again and 'flips' it to the table, filling her tray again and sitting down.

 

"Anything besides the students and the last of the offworld harvests for the next couple weeks?"

 

"Nope the crops are all in, this isn't a year where I'm growing on the first planet, and the boys and I are busy working on special orders to take in after Thanksgiving. I'll have one more new quilt finished by the meeting at Agatha's, plus at least another scrap quilt. That's pretty it until our test and the crops coming in before our finals. How are you coming on your degree over there?"

 

"I'm halfway through it. It's gonna be tight," David mock-whines. "But I'm going to try to get them both finished at the same time."

 

"Awww, pooorrrr baby." Josette coos."You're just upset that if you start another fluff degree or don't start one for a year Dr. Blake will have her arms crossed over her chest, she'll be tapping her foot, and calling you an annoying brat." the others laugh. Josette thinks a moment then shakes her head.

 

"Thinking about not taking any degrees for a year?" David smirks. "See if the shock kills anybody?"

 

"I've always got at least one degree going." Josette says.

 

"And Doc would lock you in his special room until you came to your senses." Abby smirks.

 

"True." Josette says. The rest of the week passes both quickly and slowly for Josette, slowly because she's off every day picking up the new students and quickly because it seems almost immediately after she's brought in the last offworld harvest she's off again.

 

She slides onto a stool at the Albatross Nest, ignoring the look Agatha is giving her and sips a bottle of pop.

 

"And what brought about the idea of archiving old quilt styles for a book?" She asks when Josette looks like she'll live whether she wants to or not.

 

"I'm being selfish writing all these books." snorts from everybody in the store. "Why should I write a book on tied quilts when I've only made a couple."

 

"We'll be more than happy to let you write about ours." Marian says with a smirk.

 

"Yeah, that was David's argument. That between Frances, Agatha, and Sue I would have plenty of tied quilts for a book. But I don't wanna write another book." Sniggers from the others. "Yeah, that argument doesn't work for the kids when they have a bedtime either. Or a bath."

 

"Are you still being hit with quilt ideas?"

 

"Yeah, once I get another pad filled and have more quilts knocked down I'll buy the materials again."

 

"Are all the students in now?"

 

"Finally. This year was rough with bringing out the new employees for the school."

 

"Is Calvin thinking of making the shifts ten years?"

 

"Possibly, in the future. Five years proves to both him and us that the teachers can handle being off the planet and to give everybody who wanted a chance a chance." Nods from the others.

 

"I saw Bronwen talking to the printers." Sue gives Josette a level stare.

 

"She wants a second printing because I took out a batch of books to her supplier friend to sell at his complex when it opens again." Sue continues to stare at her, her lips twitching. "Yeah, I've got three more books being printed, they started a second shift for my stuff. The last book should be available Lights Festival next year."

 

"We don't need to do an 'americana quilts' book." Agatha tells her.

 

"Didn't think we did, I was just sharing the pain."

 

"Brat."

 

"Ayuh." Laughter from everybody in the room. "Unlike a lot of home quilters everybody's documented their quilts and their family's old quilts, those few families that don't have quilters right now had theirs looked over so they can be recreated. And both Assyrian and Edinborough have tons of information on their servers."

 

"Are all the offworld harvests in now?"

 

"Nope, three more weeks according to the schedule." Somebody says in the room. Josette nods. "I just brought in one before heading over. This was the last of me pulling double duty, bringing in students and harvests in one day."

 

After lunch Josette grabs a bag from random in the kits, copying the pattern and laying it out on plastic. The envelope is stuck on the corkboard with a thumbtack as she starts laying out the fabric.

 

"Talk to Agatha?" Anna leans in the room.

 

"Headed there after I brought in the students and offworld harvest. She told me they didn't need to do an 'americana quilts' book. I told her I didn't think we did, I was just sharing the pain."

 

"Did they offer to lend you quilts for a book?" Anna smirks.

 

"Yep."

 

"So many things were lost because it was 'old-fashioned'." Anna sighs. Josette nods. "And we're proving the old ways aren't necessarily bad."

 

"Life is a helluva lot calmer here." Anna says. "You can sit outside and just veg." Josette nods and starts cutting out pieces for her first few blocks, pinning them and setting up the sewing machine before dinner.

 

"Gotta head to the threads complex tomorrow and get in some supplies." she thinks, looking at her getting empty shelves. Grabbing the PADD after dinner she checks her supplies then sends off a message to Ma and Mom seeing if they wanted to come along. The next morning after breakfast the three women get in a flyer and head off, eating a late lunch at the chicken place when they return. Josette hugs both women and delivers their purchases to their homes before they head off. Bringing out her own she starts putting everything away.

 

"Get everything you needed?" David asks as Josette empties the last container.

 

"Yeah, I didn't realize I was running low on a lot of this stuff. I really got to do a proper inventory over the break." David nods as Josette puts the containers together and drops them in the paper recycling bin before they walk to dinner. She'll either take them back to the threads complex to be reused or recycle them.

 

The first testing week finally arrives.

 

"Last of the offworld harvests in?" Dr. McNider asks at lunch.

 

"I'm off with a group right now. Everything will be finished by the end of the week and ready for delivery."

 

"Did Doc look over everything?"

 

"Yes and I've got another order in with the plastic extruders for the next set of building preps. By the time the order is finished next fall and everything is up, they should be about ready to come up."

 

"Did you get more information when you dropped off the orders and picked up supplies?"

 

"Yes, the volcanic activity and earthquakes are continuing. They're keeping an eye on the weather since an early frost nearly destroyed a lot of crops."

 

"They're on the downward spiral then?"

 

"Looks like it. If not starting it on the rolling around the edges before they start down." Vincent chuckles and hands puts another plate down in front of her. She disappears and reappears a second later. Picking up her fork she looks at the others. "We're heading off after lunch, remember Alexander Wayne? I was just there." Grabbing her PADD she sends off a message to David and they head off after lunch.

 

"Whoa." The Flash breathes at the huge spaceship that just shimmered into view by the Watchtower. Cyber grins and pushes him aside.

 

"You're late."

 

"Sorry, I needed to pick up the others." Josette appears on the screen. "Everyone, this is Hidalgo." The woman with them waves and disappears.

 

"Settling in the Bermuda triangle?"

 

"Well it is pretty much our home away from home." Josette chuckles. "And Hidalgo's a little too big to put anywhere else and not affect shipping traffic." The ship begins shimmering and moves through the atmosphere cloaked until it lands in the Bermuda Triangle. Josette's outside standing with her face up to the sun when the green of a power ring bubble transforms to a boat that floats off the pier.

 

"How do you know them?" the senior Batman asks Cyber.

 

"I was kidnapped one night, I was only gone a couple seconds here but in that other dimension we were traveling for a few years. Josette and her friends were also there, they're originally from Earth in another dimension but they settled on new worlds."

 

Several weeks later Josette walks through the tesseract to the dorm with the others. She drops into a seat.

 

/Why didn't you tell us Bruce and Thomas had been Batman?/ David asks on their tightest mental link. Josette smirks at him. /Yeah I know, we didn't ask. That explains why you sniggered at the Batman degrees you took./ Anna sighs. /Doe . . .never mind, that's probably how they met./ Josette laughs and nods.

 

The looks on their faces had been priceless.

 

Midterms finds Josette and the others taking boxes back for the graduating students and returning employees as students and employees alike greet their family members who'd come to pick them up for Christmas. Josette and Jane count the socks Josette brings out before she joins the others at the house. The next several weeks pass in a haze of Christmas and other shopping, working on the recycling, heading to Vegas, and moving supplies to the ship. They return the second week in January Earth time and the floor monitors check their bags before the students return the their dorm rooms. Josette starts moving everything to various places before slumping into a seat in the living room with the others.

 

"Is that it for the stuff going back?"

 

"Unless the students or employees have anything else to take back with them, yeah." Josette sighs, lacing her fingers together and stretching her arms over her head, nearly turning the chair over backwards as she stretches. "We're going to have rain by night as dark as it's getting."

 

"That will help the crops and we won't have to check the cistern for another couple days." Alexander says. It's looking like it's going to be rain by the time they get back from dinner and they take the tunnels to the dining hall.

 

The rest of the semester flies by and everybody but David heads to Eureka for their finals, Josette splitting off a dozen duplicates to bring in the crops and get everything prepared for the winter. After the crops are in and tests taken for the year Josette takes care of the recycling on the planets. After Thanksgiving Josette takes everybody out to the other dimension, the graduating students being greeted by family and friends and either heading to to the auditorium for graduation if they're up first or heading home with family. After the last of the orders are offloaded along with the returning recycling and empty containers Josette joins the others in their home.

 

"Is that everything now?"

 

"Until I start bringing stuff out next year." Josette says, sitting down on the couch. A few weeks later for them they return to Haven with the students and employees who'd been on earth picking up stuff or visiting family, seeing them all off before they head to the other dimensions. Several months later for them they finally return to Haven and Josette splits off duplicates to start moving things.

 

The next couple weeks pass quickly, the others are planting in the growing area upstairs when Josette comes back from picking up the orders from the printing building, finding Alexander Wayne, his family and friends standing in the front of the dorm with Principal Madison.

 

"Oh good, there you are. Josette, did you stop by the printers?"

 

"Yeah, the cookbooks are at the store, the announcement will go out a couple days before the Lights Festival and they'll have an area set up for them then. I picked up mine and they're going upstairs with the others."

 

"Oh good." He heads off and Josette grins.

 

"Where's the others?"

 

"Upstairs working in our growing area. Let me show you up to our guest areas." They'd been working on it over the last few years with hallways branching off into workrooms, study rooms, living rooms, dens, and anything else they might want along with bedrooms so they can sit and talk privately. Alexander and his father Thomas insist on seeing the growing area and after they've dropped their bags off they follow Josette to the growing area.'

 

The room isn't as big as his growing area Thomas thinks, until he sees more rooms up and down the hallway.

 

"This is something." Alexander says. "You say there's another one on the school grounds?"

 

"Yeah, ours was originally bigger, it was meant to be self-sufficient while the school's was meant to grow. We added onto ours by adding more areas." David says, waving from the hydroponics unit where he's planting stuff the twins just brought from the greenhouse as the boys take more to the growing area.

 

"Do you transplant or sow right into the ground?"

 

"Both. Root crops we sow directly, stuff like corn we sow directly. Others we get them started in the greenhouse and transplant. We do this all during the winter so something's coming in all the time. So does the growing areas in town and at the school. . .though we plant later. We used to just plant it all at once, then we had everything coming in at once. We've been experimenting over the last couple of years."

 

"Are those potatoes and peanuts?" Alex asks.

 

"Yeah, we grow them in here so we can harvest without hurting the plants. Baby potatoes and Josette makes boiled peanuts every once in a while. There's so many varieties of potatoes out there nobody has heard of." Thomas nods. "We grow new ones every once in a while to expand our tastebuds."

 

"Got enough tomatoes?" Alex smirks at the plans. There's three room marked tomatoes.

 

"Josette picks this room for green tomato stuff." A room down the hall is pointed at. "The other two are heirloom tomatoes and hybrid tomatoes."

 

"Sauces." Thomas says. Michael nods. "We make about five different base sauces, that turns into about twenty-five when you add other stuff to it."

 

By the time the others have arrived. . .including the others from the other dimension Thomas has inspected the growing areas at the school, in Town, and at Albatross, Thomas and Bruce had been introduced to Thomas and Bruce and been talking shop and how things are going at their Wayne Industries. Both of them had blinked however when they realized that CJ was Clark. And that the Ma and Pa Josette was talking about one day were the Kents. Josette had 'innocently' made a comment about heading to the first planet to make sure that the raised beds were ready for next year and check on the yearly crops. She's got a dozen offworld visitors with her when she lands Vallejo on the first planet, David opening the tesseract to the growing area.

 

Thomas and Alex had brought out the inventory of what Giles had sent them from the Watchers, going over what Josette had taken as a spoils of war from the dimension she'd been to, comparing books and other materials. Alex had laughed himself into a coughing fit when he'd found out about Josette being kidnapped to Hogwarts, ending up in the medical unit at the dorm for a couple of days. The fact that Josette had just thought it was a dream until she'd found all the shit on one of the ships had been the tipping point.

 

Alex had been introduced to the quilters and had shown off pictures of the quilts he made. They'd congratulated him on the painted quilt top he'd made. Quilting isn't a hobby most young men had and he'd sighed as the women just shrugged and said they started all their kids off quilting early.

 

The three of them return home a few weeks later for them, Alexander patting the walls as he walks into his room and starts putting stuff away.

 

"How long were you gone?" Jason asks as he sees stuff appearing in the hallway.

 

"About five weeks." Alexander starts sorting out stuff. Meanwhile Thomas is nodding as he accepts a large download to the compound's server. An equally as large upload is coming up from the compound to Josette.

 

"Okay, I'm really beginning to get a complex." Alexander complains after everybody's gone back to their various dimensions after the Lights Festival. "Everybody asks about my family, either I'm the long-lost son of some hero or the child of a mega-villain." The others laugh at him.

 

"With your luck your mother is a hero." David smirks. "Everybody loves a bad boy." Alexander sighs then laughs.

 

"Sales were brisk for the cookbook." President Bartlett says at the government meeting the first day of the new school year.

 

Josette checks her PADD and nods.

 

"Doctorate?"

 

"I'm going to be halfway through it this year. I have an appointment this summer to talk to my advisor. Once the dissertation is accepted, I can start concentrating on the paper and defend it in a few years."

 

Everybody looks at David. "I'm three years into one bachelors and two years into the other. I'll finish them both next year."

 

After the meeting Josette heads back to the dorm, heading up to her workroom as David checks on the growing areas before settling into pick up a couple lessons on teacher before lunch. The first few weeks of the semester fly by and soon everybody but David is heading to Archimedes for their first testing week. Josette's talking with Drs. Cross, McNider, and Stark while the others take their quizzes or tests.

 

"Do you see the others coming out to the ninth planet?"

 

"Eventually, though it will be more like the Legion and have a revolving group of people out while the others are there. There's too many familiar relations not to stay away, hell only Momma's got me here but all the Legionnaires consider their compound their second home after Legion World."

 

"Is this year the last of the employees heading home for five years?"

 

"Yeah, unless we start bringing out more to handle the increased number of students Principal Madison and Granda are expecting to start filling the dorms."

 

"Are you planting on the first planet again?"

 

"Yes, I'm planting another crop by the house too, including a couple new to us varieties of potatoes. Got something else you'd like grown there as an experiment?"

 

"Yes please, we'll have the seeds ready for you by the second testing week."

 

The others start coming over to the table and Vincent puts plates in front of everybody when the buzzer sounds.

 

Heading over to the first planet on Atlantis a few days later she starts another planting bed for the GD plants before spending time at the fortress and on the satellite, coming back to Haven a year later her personal time.

 

"Get the new raised bed up among other things?" Alexander asks at lunch. Josette nods since she'd just put a fork of salad in her mouth. Chewing, she swallows. "Yes, spent some time in my fortress and on the satellite. I might grow another batch of stuff we don't normally make on the satellite in a couple years." The others nod. Back at the dorm Josette finishes the top on a quilt and cuts the backing and batting off the rolls in her expanded workroom. . .though like everything else it's been expanded over the years and she can't really call it a *room* anymore.

 

"Is this one of the kits?" Anna asks from the doorway as Josette comes out with the two items.

 

"Yeah, I'm taking a break from working on my quilts for the year and knocking down some of the kits." Anna helps Josette lay everything out and pin it together before she bastes it in areas and takes it to her studio to quilt.

 

Josette heads to the first planet after midterms, planting everything and relaxing on the beach for a couple days with the others. They return a week later their time and settle back into picking the crops ripening in the growing areas, sending information back on the plants to Thomas in the other dimension, and making plans for their garden and crops for the year. By the time of their finals Josette has delivered a batch of the green picked peppers to GD and sold others, putting more on strings to dry and popping the rest in stasis.

 

The rest of the peppers are brought out ripe, along with the plants. Some of the potatoes are sold too and Josette travels to the other planets to sell tomatoes, peppers, and herbs before dropping into her seat in the dining hall.

 

"Have you heard about your dissertation?" David asks.

 

"No, I hadn't expected to hear about it until I'm nearly ready to graduate. I don't have another degree in the curriculum that I need the paper taken care of right away."

 

"Your meeting with your advisor?"

 

"In a couple weeks. We'll go out for the show and bring back the new employees at the same times."

 

"Pick up the new books?"

 

"Yeah, Agatha is planning the party right now." Josette sighs. The others snigger. In the front room Principal Madison repeats Josette's words, the others chuckling.

 

"Second cookbook?"

 

"Going on sale at the Harvest Festival along with the third. We'll have a table set up for them. Afterwards they can be picked up at the store as usual."

 

"Did we put some in the library?" Susan asks.

 

"Yes, five copies of each book. Including mine. They'll be held back until the others are available."

 

"Can you see a need for a bookstore?"

 

"Not for a while, we don't print enough different books to merit one. The stores can handle the few purchases we have right now. The major book sales are the textbooks." In the front room Principal Madison and President Bartlett nod.

 

The next couple of weeks pass quickly and the first crops are in by the time Josette and the others head off to the other dimension, delivering special orders to Marcus and talking with her advisor along with Calvin before the show. Her dissertation is formally accepted after she'd shown some of her other work, the outline for her dissertation, and sample chapters.

 

"Everything good to go?" David asks when Josette comes back from getting gussied up for the show.

 

"Yep. I'm good to go."

 

"Josette, your other doctorate?"

 

"I'll be finished by the Lights Festival. I haven't heard anything back from Dr. Stark about the dissertation but unless I have another degree in the curriculum I don't until I finish my last class."

 

The new batch of employees come back with them and settle in, talking with the employees who came out last year and those going home as they settle in.

 

The others laugh as Josette sighs at the Albatross Nest. "Are we going through all this for every book?"

 

"Yep." Agatha smirks as she looks around the room and opens the door, people start coming in the door and through the link at the same time.

 

"Now I understand this is just the first this year?"

 

"Yes, when I was selecting the quilts for the first book I realized I had enough material for three books, four with the patchwork quilts. The third book is being printed right now and will be done by the Harvest Festival, the last will be printed by the Lights Festival."

 

"Which is why you didn't wanna do a book on tied quilts?" Agatha's lips twitch. "Betcher bippy I didn't, not after finishing four in two years." Josette grumbles. The others cackle.

 

"Are you working on your quilts this year?"

 

"No, I'm working on kits. My containers were getting full." The others laugh but nod.

 

"Are you debuting the new books at your shows?"

 

"Not until next year."

 

A few weeks later Josette and the others head out to the other dimension for the show, returning several weeks later for them. Josette drops into a seat in the living room

 

"Yearly crops?"

 

"Should start coming in by the end of next week." David says. Josette nods. "I'm heading off next week to take care of everything on the first planet."

 

"Offworld harvests?" Josette nods. "All but three will be in by the Harvest Festival."

 

"Extruded plastic?"

 

"Picking up the next batch before the Harvest Festival and the last one this fall. Next year I'll have the second batch of construction done before they come out."

 

"Have you been copying stuff?"

 

"Every time I go out. Especially with the earthquakes and volcanic activity kicking up." The offworld harvests, yearly crops, first planet yearly crops, and second harvest starts coming in and everybody's busy for the next several weeks. The others are coming in for the Harvest Festival when Josette returns from delivering the second batch of orders to Doc's world and picking up supplies for the orders and for the tenth planet. Coming back from delivering to the factories she finds the others arriving at the dorm.

 

"What was that?" Alex Wayne asks as the dorm seems to ripple.

 

"Granda and the others wanted to do some renovations to the dorm, starting with adding rooms to my personal library." Josette sighs, dropping onto a chair in the living room. "It's a lot less disturbing then expanding by tesseracts, everything seems to be moving around you like you're on a roller coaster in the comfort of your own home and once you're done you've got more room yes, but you also have to paint and work on the flooring, wall to wall carpeting can look like an area rug depending on how much room you're adding." Thomas chuckles but he seems to agree.

 

"Personal library?" Alex asks.

 

"Yeah, we have the original school library where we keep our textbooks, we have a central library brought out from Earth in the dorm, and we all have our own personal libraries. I shouldn't say it's only textbooks in the school library, the boys keep their art books there too." Thomas and Alex look interested and Josette takes them up, waving a hand as the lights come on when the door opens. "We've added onto it over the years."

 

"Good Lord." Thomas sighs when he finds Josette's buildings of books.