Imagine: The List
Fic posted by members of Vo's Imaginings YahooGroup


"Kiriko is right, we had to call out some of the older clan members who can still teach to train the new students now. We will not have enough jonin to teach the graduates unless we start giving promoting some of the older genin. Even if we have chunin leading teams too, it wouldn't be enough." Hiruzen moans later that night. "Nobody expected this big of a graduating class when they decided on three person teams."

 

"Wha. . .no." An ANBU says. "The current graduates would still be too new themselves to train teams. Even after a decade."

 

"Exactly." Hiruzen moans. "As it is, they're looking at two or three jonin training them. Which is good in one way, it gets them used early to working with more than their teacher but they have different teaching styles and the new genin have to get used to it quickly."

 

"Yeah, they're usually chunin when they have to work with a different jonin." Another ANBU sighs. "Another year of classes where they're doing d-ranked missions in the village in rotating teams so we know who works best together? Expanding different areas of training?"

 

"A thought, also putting together larger squads and having them working under the ninja who don't go out on missions?"

 

"Another thought." Hiruzen starts making a list. Thankfully they've still got over ten years before this happens so they can make plans for the future.

 

Kiriko's father waggles a finger in her direction later that night when she makes her way back to the compound. "Please, if they're having trouble getting enough teachers now, what's it going to be like when you got 200 students in one year graduating?"

 

"Yeah." He sighs. "At least Hiruzen has ten years to make plans."

 

"Oh shit." Kiriko facepalms. "How the hell is the village going to pay all those new genin?"

 

"Not our problem." Her father says firmly. The others nod. "Maybe send some of them to the capital for training with the Daimyo's guards."

 

"Yeah, the clans are going to have to think about leading them to different jobs either out of the academy or instead of going to the academy. Not our problem anyway."

 

"Yep. Except if they *do* have that many new graduates I'll have to get in more supplies for scrolls." Her father snickers. "So anyway, the new fields?"

 

"Plowed and planted." Kiriko cackles and her father silently repeats what he just said and moans. "Yes, the same can be said for the humans." He says, rolling his eyes. "Anyway, the village's fields will be harvested and taken to the village for storage or to be made into stuff while ours is stored here on our land. Or sent to the village to be made into stuff. And you're still a brat."

 

"I wonder where I could possibly have got it from?" She drawls as she pushes herself to her feet after the clan meeting is over.

 

"Your father.Your mother." is said at the same time by her parents. The rest of the clan snickers. 

 

"Fuck, fuck, fuck. Yes, that is a problem." The Hokage sighs a couple days later when Kiriko *innocently* brings up the question of how the village is going to pay for all the new graduates in a decade. "Not just base pay but there won't be enough missions." 

 

"Ship them off for training with the Daimyo guards?"

 

"Even then there'd not be enough money for all of them. Even if I sent you off to destroy another casino and left that money in the bank for years until they graduated it might be enough for a couple years of base pay, not to mention there would *not* be enough missions."

 

"Yep."

 

"I could say some type of entrance examination but with most of the incoming students clan raised, it would be useless. Or else close the academy for a number of years and allow those children who would normally be students be taught by the clans. They could still protect the village but not as ninja."

 

"Village guards, another police force since we haven't had any since the Uchiha massacre, advanced search and rescue.. ."

 

"Are there any unusual kekkei genkai among the prisoners?"

 

"Not a one. Thanks to the damn purges."

 

"Can we hold lotteries and only allow a certain number of students in at a time? Maybe every other year or every three years? So as one class graduates another starts?"

 

"We'd have to. Or close the academy down for over ten years until everybody who would have graduated is working. Nothing says they can't train, just not officially."

 

"The civilian interest in the academy is slowing down with people realizing it's not all fun and games, being a ninja is hard work and it's going to be a life's work."

 

"They're also reeling from the information they could have all been killed and so many pregnancies, while difficult, is much better than being dead."

 

The babies start arriving a few months later, thankfully one or two at a time so they don't overwhelm the midwives. The pregnant kunoichi who had been part of the invasion had been separated from the others and the babies handed over to their new families. Hiruzen *had* hoped to keep some of them together but they were so brainwashed by their former villages they had no minds or personalities beyond killing.

 

"428 babies with four sets of twins. And a set of triplets. . .Kiriko's newest brothers and sister." The Hokage says tiredly as he gives his report to the Daimyo as the remaining prisoners are taken away by guards. They have lost all fight over the last year and go quietly. They know they have lost and are waiting for their punishments from their Daimyos. 

 

"Are you. . .okay?"

 

"I am feeling my age. Asuma and Kurenai are expecting, but not from this." He says. "Earlier this year Asuma started taking over the office a couple days a week, we're hoping to expand that to most of the week."

 

"Can you afford to have all those children become Ninja?" The Daimyo says bluntly.

 

"Not a chance, we are looking at having to shut down the academy until those children who were born this year would have graduated because we don't have enough people to train them. We didn't open the Academy to new students last year, any clan children that would have normally enrolled are being trained by their families." The Daimyo sighs in relief. "Once the students that are attending graduate it will be closed. And right now, I don't know if it will reopen. For anything beyond normal civilian classes."

 

"Good, I was . . .concerned."

 

"We all are, even if we send some to the capital for training, we were looking at over two hundred clan raised students in one year. We *did* end up tearing down and rebuilding the civilian school, it desperately needed more room even before this."

 

"So the children will be trained?"

 

"Trained yes, protecting the village one way or another. . .yes. Going on missions? Not unless it's something like working the fields or improving the village. Going on missions where it's a chance of kill or be killed. No."

 

The Daimyo sighs in relief. He hadn't liked the thought that Konoha was planning their own invasion force. He can see the look of agreement in Hiruzen's eyes.

 

"I did not want this to happen."

 

"None of us did. We knew the other villages were failing, this was a desperate attempt to survive. You've proven that with careful management villages can survive. . .because you've allowed the civilians to be bringing money into the village instead of relying solely on missions like the other villages."

 

"Okay, the Uchiha?" The Hokage looks at him. "Dead clan?"

 

"They may be reintroduced in the future but not for a few generations until the massacre and the last Uchiha's actions are forgotten by the village. Their eyes are not needed, the Hyuga is facing similar choices except for all of them but one being killed. They are turning their attention to other endeavors, much to the horror of the elders longing for good old days of having power."

 

"Ah yes, much like some of the old soldiers I've talked to in the past." The Daimyo sighs. "They're not in charge anymore, they can't force anybody to listen to them, and they're miserable." He looks at him seriously again and the Hokage stiffens. "I have eyes, when are you going to announce that Naruto is the fourth's son?"

 

"Not until he's got a more firm position of power in the city and the damn fools who hated him for surviving the battle that killed his parents are gone." Hiruzen says bluntly. "The civilians that hated him have all but died out, he's firm friends with the others that graduated with him at the academy and helps train the newer graduates. His team is the go to team for escorting Kiriko when she's been running to and fro getting in supplies for the village to be prepared for the babies arriving. Like Kiriko he cheerfully will go to the casinos and make money hand over fist." The Daimyo chuckles at his bland tone, nodding. "I also intend to beat Jiraiya around the head and shoulders to get him to stay here long enough to teach him his father's signature moves."

 

"What about the older ninjas?"

 

"Those who have worked with him know he is talented. Those who have not. . .soon learn."

 

"Promotions."

 

"I plan on going over records next year and promoting chunin and genin who I believe have proven they deserve it."

 

The Daimyo stays for a few more days so his wife and her friends can shop and they leave. "So many babies." His wife moans when they've returned to the palace. "Did you get the answers you wanted?"

 

"Yes, the Hokage will be training the new children to serve the village but *not* as ninjas. He closed the academy to new students this year and once the current students graduate it will most likely not open except for civilian classes. He had to rebuild the civilian school last year because it was too small."

 

"With all the new babies, no doubt both schools will be full." She says. He nods. "Naruto?" She is calmly doing needlework. While she may come off as an airhead, she is no fool. Like her husband she had quickly recognized Kiriko as the noble buying all the paintball supplies and had summoned Asuma with a look. Kiriko had caught that look and had briefly rolled her eyes, joining him at the meeting. She had recognized the look and briskly started scratching the other woman's back. "Yes, the outfits *do* itch." She had laughed at the audible moan.

 

"He plans on announcing Naruto's heritage in a few years when he is more settled in a position of power in the village and the fools who hated him for surviving that battle when so many did not have died off. Though what they thought a newborn would be able to do. . ." She nods in agreement. Like her husband, she had worked with Minato in the past and had instantly recognized the younger man as his son. "He also plans to force Jiraiya to stay in the village to teach Naruto his father's signature moves."

 

"Promotions?"

 

"He plans on going over their files next year and promoting those who have proven they deserve it." She nods in satisfaction. "I had hoped that the prisoners babies could stay with their mothers." She murmurs. "But those poor women, they were dead inside long before they were captured."

 

"Yes, may their leaders burn in hell. It just proves that their villages were dying. They were weapons, they were not people." She nods. "I do prefer Konaha, their ninja are also people who have their own interests outside of missions." She'd seem some painting pictures, doing yardwork, like herself many of the women do handiwork. And there is of course the women who work for Kiriko cooking. "Now, what is the latest on the train coming to Konoha?"

 

"They're still working on the details but hope to start laying the track next year and be in operation there in three years." He says briskly. "With all the new 'civilians' being trained in the next couple of decades he is seriously looking into expanding the civilian schooling to include degrees. The plateau where the trains would come in would be an ideal location for another school." She nods in satisfaction. "Now, did you find out everything you were looking for while you went shopping?"

 

"Yes, as I'd suspected the shops that were closed when we were last there have reopened under the control of Kiriko's clan." She says, not looking up from her work. "The fools who tried getting my attention expecting me to fawn all over them lost a good bit of power and are still sulking according to the village gossip. The stores that wouldn't sell to Naruto or the working women of the village are under new management and those shops I did go to are doing brisk business."

 

"Fools thought they were so special and you and Kiriko proved who had the real power in the village." Her husband snorts.

 

Kiriko slumps into a seat for the clan meeting. Her mother would normally be there but she's recovering from the birth of the triplets. "I am so glad these information gathering missions/shopping trips don't happen all the time." The others nod. 

 

She's waved to a seat in the Hokage office a couple days later. "I know you don't need me to go get more supplies." She says firmly. A muffled snicker from the wall behind her. 

 

"How are you supplied on four or eight man tents?" He asks.

 

"Four man tents, I have eighteen boxes of them currently in storage for new genin teams going out of the village for the first time with another dozen in scrolls of supplies on the racks. I have another six dozen boxes of the two men tents in storages along with two dozen more in scrolls. Larger ones no. I didn't see the need for them since the only large groups I can see going out would be those harvesting fields and they would be coming back and forth daily with the harvests." Hiruzen nods in satisfaction. "Not to mention the supplies here and at clan compounds for those who don't buy them from me." He nods again. "Any larger tents would be used for somebody like the Daimyo guards while training."

 

"Supplies for when they're working the fields?"

 

"We've already tripled the supply of emergency food and we make more every week." she says. He nods in satisfaction. "Unlike your farm, they'll have to eat during breaks because there's no place to sit down for meals and will need to bring food with them."

 

"Does the village have enough storage space to hold everything?"

 

"Yes. The farm?"

 

"Yes, even with doubling the fields we have plenty of storage space. We've been adding onto it over the last few years, not that anybody expected . . ." she waves a hand at the room in general and he nods. "That's not counting what is sold to the village."

 

Kiriko's father looks at her when she returns to the shop. "The Hokage just wanted to know what I had in the way of larger tents in storage. I don't see a need for anything larger than what I already have, the only big groups leaving the village now are those harvesting fields and they're bringing back the harvests." Her father nods in agreement. 

 

"Okay, we've gone through everything from the villages the Daimyos sent to us before they allowed the villages to fall into ruins. Is there anything we can actually use in that?" The Hokage asks at a meeting with Asuma a few days later.

 

"No, the few jutsus we found were those we already had. Or were so weak they were useless." Asuma says. "It looks like the only thing they taught was the basic jutsus and nothing else."

 

The Hokage sighs. "What were they thinking?"

 

"They weren't. Not even the Uchiha or Hyuga were so arrogant at their worse." Asuma sighs, looking at his father across the desk. "They were bargaining on the element of surprise and might have succeeded except for Kiriko's vision and being so tired from marching for so long. They'd been living on emergency rations and soldier pills. Because they probably had no money to stop to eat anywhere and would have been noticed if they had."

 

"Yeah, the villages on the way would have noticed large groups of people moving through." An ANBU sighs. "They probably brought what food they had with them and when it ran out switched to the emergency food and soldier pills, sleeping wherever they could and marching whenever they could. The medical nin said they were so low on chakra, they'd have died within a week at that pace. I don't doubt they *did* have people die on the march. Or those who couldn't go on were left behind."

 

"How are we on money?"

 

"Good, the Daimyos sent along funds to help with the costs of feeding and housing the prisoners including the resulting babies and will continue to send it along for another five years. We didn't have any major damages to the village, a few water jutsus cleaned up most of the signs of what happened."

 

"Can we handle this?" Asuma asks.

 

"We're going to have to." His father says tiredly. "I would rather this had never happened but we are much better off than what might have happened."

 

"I'm surprised there was as many pregnancies among the females as there were."

 

"The medical nin said they had been given drugs to conceive, no doubt they planned on stealing children from the clans for breeding stock and use as many men as they could."

 

"I had wondered." Asuma sighs. "I know there are drugs to stop conception but not drugs to ensure it."

 

"They had to ensure breeding in their villages somehow." An ANBU snorts. "Even with forced breeding they were unable to keep their academies open." Tsunade snorts as she walks into the room. "How is the treasury?"

 

"In good shape, most of what we have been buying the last two years has been from the funds supplied by the Daimyos." Hiruzen looks at her. "Is there anything the hospital needs?"

 

"No, I'm just making sure we can recover after all the money we've been spending for the last two years." She says quietly.

 

"No, we are good. I have been working with the Daimyo for money to still be coming into the treasury even with the academy closing in three years."

 

"Thank you, I worry."

 

"We all do, we know we got off very, very, very lucky."